Eco-friendly travel guide to Azores advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Azores, Portugal.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Bus connections: 2 / 5
- Train connections: 3 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3 / 5
- National parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$20 - $60
- Budget per day: US$50 - $250
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
It is an autonomous region that is present in Portugal, and it is settled since 1432. The total area of this region is 2351 km2, and the highest elevation is 2351 meters. The total population of this region is 242756, which creates a density of 110km2 per person. The official currency of this region is Euros. The official language is Portuguese. The largest city of this region is Ponta Delgada which is present in Sao Miguel. The most important industries are the fishing industry, livestock industry, dairy farming, and tourism. Being a tourist in today's world comes with its own set of responsibilities and obligations. The change climate of the planet urges us to be more responsible and take accountability for our actions and also study the impact we have on the environment. One must travel in an eco friendly way and ensure that the local citizens or the natural surroundings are not affected. These are some of the most crucial tips that vacationers must follow to travel responsibly.
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience includes discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote sustainable living as much as possible in the city to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the city that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the city. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards the city to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
Air quality and pollution level at the Azores is comparatively reasonable than the other cities in Europe. The Air Quality Index (AQI) is 29 with an O3 level of 72g/m3, making it safe for traveling or doing outdoor activities. According to the World Health Organization guideline, the primary air pollutant is PM2.5, having a concentration of 4 micrograms per meter cube. You must check the air quality and pollution level of the place you're traveling to stay safe and be healthy throughout your journey. There is regular conduction of air quality monitoring, making the island a safe place for travelers to visit any time. Also, the government has taken several steps to ease transportation and reduce vehicle emissions by introducing a network of highways for transportation infrastructure and vehicle quality improvement. Due to the increase in air pollution and overall deterioration of global air, the locals and the government have taken several steps to boost public transport and other eco-friendly traveling methods such as walking and cycling to the maximum extent possible. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) reports, there is no regular air quality monitoring in the Azores. However, the government has regularly monitored its primary quality by introducing the National Resources Conservation Authority, so you do not need to worry much while visiting Portugal. It is known to be one of the cleanest countries in the world.
Respect the Culture
This island in Portugal boasts a vibrant culture doomed in a myriad tradition, rich, and intricate history, including such intriguing artisanal offerings as ceramics, cheesemaking, mosaic tiling, embroidery, and much more. You will see that the Azorean people are deeply religious. Many Azorean successors and tourists flock to the islands during celebratory religious occasions to participate in the now-famous feasts. One of the largest celebrations in the Azores is the Feast of Santo Cristo on Sao Miguel's island, which takes place each year on the fifth Sunday after Easter in Ponta Delgado. It involves a procession through the city's streets and celebrated with equal devotion on the island of Graciosa and some other various towns and villages. Azoreans also celebrate Divine Espirito, Santo feasts, lively and delicious fetes organized in all the archipelago islands, and many others in the country. Some of the famous festivals celebrated in this part of the country are:
- Holy Ghost Festival
- Sao Miguel
- Santa Maria
- Cultural week
Over the years, Portuguese traditions have been crafted as its own proud regional identity because of the volcanic archipelago's culture in this part of the country. Throughout its history, the Azores has experienced piracy, prosperity, and revolution; now, renowned for their easy-going atmosphere and spectacular scenery, beautiful locations, and attracting tourists from around the world. The religion over here is the heart of the Azores island culture, with celebrations and festivals dominating the calendar. In addition to these, retaining traditional cooking techniques and celebrations of their agricultural and whaling past, the Azoreans proudly celebrate their style of music, Cuisine, politics, preferences, traditions, culture, and whatnot.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Church of St. Barbara: The church was built on São Jorge's island and is rightfully considered the Azores archipelago's oldest religious landmark. Several historical documents indicate that construction was completed by the middle of the 15th century. For such an extended period, the temple's appearance has undergone numerous changes, restructuring, and it has been repeatedly closed for restoration. Today the parish includes three chapels.
- Santa Maria Island: The island is notable because it was here that the first settlers of the Azores archipelago began to arrange their life. The evidence is a variety of historical buildings of the 15th century, found in large numbers throughout the island: old houses, mills, chapels. Santa Maria Island is widely known and popular with young people due to the rock festival held here every year.
- Whalers Museum: On the island of Pico, a whaling museum was an essential part of residents' lives in the 19th century. Many of the exhibits on display here were donated by a whale carcass factory. The factory closed in the late 1980s due to a law passed that prohibited whale hunting. But some of its exhibits are interesting and helpful to learn more about the history of the island. Today, this place's fate is still closely connected with whales - scientific research and observation of their life are carried out here. Tourists have a unique opportunity to go on excursions and personally get acquainted with amazing giants.
- Flourish Island: Of all the nine Azores, the island of Flourish rightfully bears the title of the most beautiful. Since the area of the territory is quite modest, long walks are popular here. It does not matter which direction or path is chosen to start the journey; on the way, everyone who is lucky enough to be on this island will meet noisy waterfalls, smooth as the glass of a lake, and can enjoy the wonderful scent of exotic flowers. There are several ancient settlements on the island that will be interesting to visit. The history of some of them dates back to the 15th century.
- Capelinhos volcano: Capella volcanic complex is one of the most popular routes when traveling around Faial Island. Here, in the western part of the island, is the Capelinhos volcano. The stunning landscapes, like a magnet, attract numerous tourists.
The last eruption of the Capelinhos volcano occurred in the late 50s of the twentieth century - then the volcano erupted ash and lava for almost 13 months. We can assume that everything went well because there were no casualties except for the destroyed houses. Moreover, the area of the island became almost 2.5 square meters. Km was more. However, about half of the residents emigrated to the United States of America, succumbing mainly to psychological pressure. The last time Capelinhos woke up in 1998, an earthquake damaged many buildings located in the island's western part.
- Graciosa airport: The airport is located on the island of Graciosa, which owes its name. Even though there is only one airstrip, the airport is an important transport hub. The height above sea level is only a couple of tens of meters. This fact, the tiny space for maneuver, and the proximity to the coastline require a high concentration and experience from the pilots and command personnel. Observing such a fine, precise landing and take-off is a fascinating sight that attracts the attention of plan-spotters, people who are fond of photographing aircraft.
- Volcano Pico Alto: The volcano bears the proud title of the island's main attraction because it was thanks to its activity that the island of Terceira appeared many years ago. Pico Alto is a dormant volcano less than a kilometer high. Hikers and mountain climbers should love the idea of climbing Pico Alta. It is ideal for a calm and measured walk with several stops. Climbing up, tourists will have the opportunity to admire the fantastic panorama view of Terceira Island.
- San Miguel Island: The island of São Miguel itself is one great natural attraction. A journey to this stunning land is wildlife, lakes formed in a volcanic crater, thermal springs, highly valued for their healing properties, and much more.
- Faial Island: Faial Is a small but very charming island. The city of Horta is the capital and played an essential role as a support port. Its harbor used to host whalers arriving from America. At the beginning of aviation, there were exceptional conditions for the Clipper seaplane, which in the 30s made flights between Europe and America. There is a tradition among yachtsmen of the world - once you reach Horta, the capital of Faial Island, you must leave an inscription with your yacht's name on the concrete breakwater of his marina. And good luck in all future sea crossings will accompany you. Marina Horta is the symbolic gateway for all yachts sailing from America to Europe. Here old acquaintances meet, and new travel plans are born. Faial Island has also been a hub for submarine cables between the two continents, creating a cosmopolitan atmosphere in the city where foreigners worked. This city remains the main port for those crossing the Atlantic. Terceira Island, The history of the island's origin, is unusual because it appeared thanks to several volcanoes' eruptions. Stunning views, golden sandy beaches, a general atmosphere of tranquility and comfort attract more and more travelers. Annual celebrations and music festivals add spice to this island's holiday.
- Casa do Arcano Museum:Ribeira Grande's city's modern museum is located in a building that belonged to a local monastery. The building is small, so a tour or independent study of the halls will not take much time. Tourists are invited to plunge into history by examining the museum's exposition. Many of its exhibits were obtained through archaeologists' efforts during excavations and make it possible to represent better the local population living in this region.
The picturesque Azores, concerning 850 miles west of the European nation, is associate degree land frozen within the ocean. The Azores supply nine separate islands to explore and square measure a natural paradise with mostly new foliage and spectacular views. Some decision the inexperienced hills, drinking water and straightforward villages "Eden." With its tropical atmosphere, distinctive feeding atmosphere, snug accommodation atmosphere, and diverse water activities, you'll skip everything while not experiencing something throughout the week.
- Ponta Delgada Urban Park: It is the immense inexperienced space of the municipality, with a district of thirty hectares, taking into account the inexperienced respiratory organ of Ponta Delgada. It's a logo of environmental property, with stress on amusement and sports. Its length consists of repairs and pedestrian chains. The park and environment scenes will attract you, and you will also feel relaxed after visiting this park. Children can play in this park. You can also take a walk here. Nice place to visit and spend some quality time here from your busy schedule.
- Garden António writer: The Jardim Antonio writer (Botanical Garden) maybe a wink from the middle of Ponta Delgada. This peaceful Sao Miguel is liberated to move to heaven. Giant facilities embody native plants, caves, and ponds. Conjointly within the middle, you may realize Associate in Nursing recent tree from a fairy tale. As a result, lots of shade is a perfect stop for Jardim Antonio writer on a hot afternoon in Portugal. You can visit this park for fresh air, as here you will see that greenery is all around the park.
- Terra Nostra Park: The history of Terra Nostra Park is said to Furnas as a spa and summer resort. This facility was inbuilt in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and is among the foremost in style places on the island of São Miguel, visited by locals and foreign guests, United Nations agency area unit drew to swimming within the energy pool. And marvel at the attractive views and selection, and richness of exotic vegetation. The park is split into two spaces: the high area occupied by roads in dense forest, and therefore the joint space between Ribeira district attorney Amarela and therefore the Serpentina lagune, wherever guests will walk on footpaths, lawns, swimming pools, and fountains. The only vital species are oak, poplar tree, poplar tree, Japanese red cedar, araucarias, tulip, camellia, fern, hydrangea, rhododendron, and bush.
- Ribeira dos Caldeirões Natural Park: The Ribeira dos Caldeirões Natural Park may be a protected space next to the Ribeira dos Caldeirões doctors within the Achada municipality, northeast of the city island of São Miguel. This natural park is found on the slopes of Junipero Serra district attorney Tronqueira. It is an element of the Ribeira do Guilherme stream that runs on the stream wherever the Ribeira do Gul Hyun facility is found. In this natural garden, it's potential to look at the abundance of various alimentary paste flora, particularly Defne, by accentuating the big squares. Also, giant hydrangeas and massive cedar soils are often overabundant. This natural park following the stream bank stands out with a body of water that provides water to a part of the park. The company within the forests of island caribou, Associate in Nursing autochthonous bird related to plant diversity, light-emitting diode to the park's inclusion within Pico district attorney linear unit's personal conservation space Ribeira do Guilherme.
- Algar do Carvão: Algar do Carvão is found within Terceira Island's center, at an Associate in Nursing altitude of 550 meters. The Algar do Carvão space (about forty.5 hectares), erst a nature reserve, has recently been reclassified as a "regional natural monument" thanks to its volcanic characteristics and environmental significance. The cave's mouth (17m x 27m) opens into a vertical channel with a forty-five meters drop. Once a severe decline fashions a ramp, there's another steep drop that ends in clearwater at a depth of viewing eighty meters. The water is rain-fed, and its most center is about fifteen meters, and once a bit of rain falls within the summer, it's nearly utterly dry. Complex geologic and organic chemistry events over the years within the hydrographical system that characterize the Algar do Carvão have resulted in swollen and rare amorphous oxide stalactites stalagmites during this cave and numerous volcanic caves, among the foremost stunning. Azores
- Salto do Cabrito: Here may be a tour that starts close to Caldeiras, within the Ribeira Grande. It's a comparatively straightforward hiking path, though it's four-kilometer long and has some steep slopes on the method; our guide offers you attention-grabbing data regarding the island's water resources São Miguel. It's a glorious chance to induce in reality with nature and conjointly discover however it's become therefore helpful in our lives. The road runs through all the essential areas to the Fajã Redonda electricity power plant. The first part of the route is on a mud road with fantastic nature, thanks to Salto do Cabrito. Here is that the place wherever we'll fancy the Salto do Cabrito body of water and photos. Then we tend to climb a steep way and cross a railway on the method. Be ready for the challenge for those that worry about heights! But, as a result of it's therefore on the brink of the stream, it's a direct hiking path, and that we too have the sensation of being enclosed naturally.
- Praia First State town (São Miguel): The waves and currents found on the rugged northern coast of São Miguel may be wild on town Beach. This beach scene is one of all the highlights of the global water sports League and has long been a favorite spot for surfers on the island. Azores water sports Center offers water sport lessons. This wild nature enhances its beauty. However, it checks the color code of the flag.
- Praia Taiwan (Santa Maria): Due to another natural object, Santa Maria is an isolated island within the Azores with golden sandy beaches. Additionally, it's the driest and warmest climate, it offers Mediterranean weather, and it's the foremost lovely beach island for walkers. The most renowned of Santa Maria's beaches are the national capital Taiwan, which is taken into account by several to be absolutely the better of the Azores. for a few reasons, it means that a good looking beach. The lake is found at the foot of a quiet bay behind lovely mountains and is, in any case, heat and crystal clear on the Atlantic's dimensions.
- Praia dos Moinhos (São Miguel): Praia dos Moinhos is found in an exceedingly lovely gated community in port Formoso, a beautiful fishing village on São Miguel's island. However, the waves here aren't as severe as different beaches on the north coast, several massive cliffs at the ocean's all-time low. Therefore use caution if you choose to swim a lot. This volcanic beach features a hiking path, showers, and an open beach bar. The road there's very steep, and parking may be tough within the summer. I might not suggest coming back here unless you're a fully-fledged associate driver.
- Vila Franca do Campo isle (São Miguel): This island, one klick from the beach in the national capital Franca do Campo, could be a paradise for bathers and bathers. The natural bay has crystal clear water and protects swimmers from the waves of the Atlantic. Lovely youngsters|for teenagers|for youths} or adults like Pine Tree State United Nations agency still want kids within. Conjointly an excellent place to dive. However, confine your mind that you won't realize many comforts if you sit down or in an exceedingly towel. The simplest possibility is to nest next to several rocks or a concrete platform - from a technical purpose of reading, the island's isolated beach is flooded. Anyway, it's still one of all the most superficial swimming spots within the Azores if you solicit from me.
- Ponta Delgada: Ponta Delgada is that the largest town of the Azores land placed in São Miguel. It is a great spot to go to with its white-washed homes, cobbled streets, 17th- and eighteenth-century conventions, and churches, further because of the long and picturesque outline that's ideal for walking by the ocean within the evening. What started as a humble fishing community has become a busy port and provides a station for ships sailing from the Mediterranean, European nation, and continent to the Americas and the Indies. Today, Ponta Delgada provides guests a concept that life might be like on the islands at sixteen. Pearl century.
- Angra Heroismo: This historic capital on Terceira Island could be a United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage website and one in every one of the three regional means within the Azores. Have a pleasant stroll during this stunning harbor city—Pearl century buildings - stuffed with marvelous native retailers, cafes, and bars. Once you can go, head to Alto prosecutor Memoria, a division wherever you'll admire the town from higher than with two twin church towers from the age of sixteen. Pearl century. Additional spectacular views of Anora Bay might be on prime of cards Brazil.
- Harbor Front and Historical Quarter: You'll begin from the city district facing the 16th-century Forte American state São Brás, the Renaissance defense used these days by the Portuguese navy and residential to the Azores' Military repository. Lying opposite is that the scene celebrating Praça five American state Outubro with Convento e Capela American state Nossa Senhora prosecutor Esperança and Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres throughout the annual Festa amount. If you continue, on your left, you'll see the initial eighteenth-century town. You will notice that the acquainted three belts are stopped at Praça Gonçalo Velho Cabral and captured infinite times by cameras and smartphones. Cross the sq. Go to the handsome Igreja São Sebastião before rejoining the road and heading to the docking facility. It can be the place for a whale looking at a cruise - one in every of the "don't miss" things to try in Ponta Delgada. Relish your kin group occasionally before heading back to follow your footsteps, or wander around the city center for your searching and a snack.
- Conelato e Capela American state Nossa Senhora prosecutor Esperança: Probably the foremost visited cultural attraction of Ponta Delgada, Nossa Senhora prosecutor Esperança cloister and Chapel was completed in 1541 and continues to be St. it was occupied by Francis' nuns. A real treasure hoarded wealth of non-secular art. The Chapel is adorned with the impressive canvas of 18th-century azulejos tiles by António American state Oliveira Bernardes, the best master of the genre. Meanwhile, the altar could be a revolt within the gilded woodwork. The Chapel is related to the worship of Christ in Miracles and is revered by locals; Ecce Homois the rea Dropped at the island within the sixteenth century, the sculpture is kept within the lower church. It may solely see it at certain times once a nun opens the inner doors to permit guests to ascertain it. As a result of this, hold your breath can be conjointly a chance to admire the elaborately decorated garments, shiny things. Therefore the sparkling jewelry closes the sculpture if you're in Ponta Delgada on the fifth Sunday when Easter.
- Museu Hector Hevodidbon Machado: The Hector Hevodidbon Machado deposit has been housed within the former Santo André religious residence since 1943. The deposit homes explanation museums collected by the museum's founder, Hector Hevodidbon Maria Gomes Machado. The ground floor could be a house dedicated to ANthropology|anthropology} with scenes from Azore life and an exhibition of toys from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. This floor offers access to the inner church of Santo André. The higher floor is devoted to the Art deposit, which contains paintings from the fifteenth and twentieth centuries and sculptures with works from Canto prosecuting attorney Maia in gold and ivory.
- Museu prosecuting attorney Indústria Baleeira: The whale trade deposit is currently got wind of within the recent whale manufactory, wherever by-products were made from whales taken. In contrast, it had been one in all the most solid ground activities during this not therefore small space last. The factory operated from 1946 to 1984. The museum, which has received official international recognition of the simplest industrial museums of its kind, displays kettles, ovens, machines, and different instrumentality used to process whales in oil and flour.
- Arquipélago - Arts Center: The solid ground's up-to-date art center is that the main deposit and exhibition center within the Azores. The center is housed in an associate recent inebriant factory from the top of the nineteenth century, within Ribeira Grande, on São Miguel's island, the most significant island within the Azores solid ground. The complex was remodeled into an associate art center in 2009, following an associate victory project by Portuguese architects Menos é Mais Arquitectos Associados and João Mendes Ribeiro. Arquipélago is an associate knowledge domain center dedicated to promoting the latest art, liberal arts, and design through temporary exhibitions, lectures, workshops, conferences, concerts, and special events. The middle focuses mainly on Portuguese-speaking countries' art, conjointly through connections and collaborations with international organizations, and is presently building its permanent collection from the twenty-first century. The exhibition areas, the reliable ground archive center, the rostrum hall, the coaching area, studios, and cafes. The middle is accessible to individuals with disabilities.
- Museu do Tabaco: The Maia Tobacco deposit could be a deposit and cultural wall unit designed to share, document, preserve and interpret the industry's history within the Azores factory. The agency is found within Maia's municipality, on the island of São Miguel. It operates in Santa Casa prosecuting attorney Misericórdia in Divino Espírito Santo, charging attorneys to realize culture, business enterprise, and social development. The recent tobacco manufactory in Maia closed twenty years agone, has reopened as a tobacco deposit to preserve the memory of this culture and make an outstanding tourer center on the island of S. Miguel. Within the initial part, the recent factory, that was enclosed in 1988, permits guests to examine the significant, pressing, and drying areas of tobacco.
Being a volcanic archipelago of nine islands in the middle of the Atlantic, the Azores has a unique microclimate that makes it possible to produce ingredients that most or all the rest of Europe can't, giving a unique culinary landscape. Since it's an isolated island surrounded by calm Atlantic waters, you can haul in many seafood kinds. Tropical fruits like bananas, pineapples, and passion fruit grow in the Azores' astounding fertile microclimates. The Cuisine here includes an abundance of beef and dairy, pastries that stem from Portuguese traditions, and wine that is grown on volcanic soil. Food lovers will appreciate the varied Cuisine of the Azores, such as fresh fish, making your holiday a perfect one. If you're looking for Sao Miguel's island's most emblematic dish, then you must try the "Cozido," which is cooked beneath the earth near the Furnas Lake. The prices of the dishes served here are quite pocket-friendly and come with very good aromas and delicacies. Apart from the traditional Cuisine, you can also get some other cuisines in this country, such as Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, and others. The Cuisine includes main courses along with sweet puddings in many varieties. Following are some restaurants you must not miss when you are in the Azores:
- Tony’s Restaurant
- Cais 20 restaurant
- O Pescador Restaurant
- Quinta Do Martelo Restaurant
- Ancoradouro Restaurant
- Por Do Sol Restaurant
- A Traineira Restaurant
Some regional foods you must try when you are in the Azores include:
- Alcatra (wine-based pot roast) – signature dish of the island of Terceira at Ti Choa in Serreta or Restaurante O Chico in Angra de Heroismo
- Biscoitos de Orelha at Santa Maria island
- Cavaco (local slipper lobster, also called locust lobster) – is known for its tender meat at Beira Mar or Quebra Mar or Cais 20 on Sao Miguel
- Clams at Sao Jorge
- Cracas (reminiscent of crab) at Cais de Angra at the Marina in Angra do Heroismo
Azorean food and drink will keep you returning as the food here have a new transcendent form from mineral-rich wines and salty peppers to heart grass-fed beef and sweetly spiced blood sausages.
There are many drinks that you will find exclusively in the Azores. The Azores is a significant producer of wines and tropical fruits. Its also home to the only industrial tea plantations in all of Europe producing phenomenal blends of tea located on the island of Sao Miguel, Porto Formoso, and Gorreana tea factories. Although Azoreans drink premium-grade black teas or green tea, which has been highly-priced in the islands since the early 1750s, the leaf was growing wild in the Azores. The prices of alcohol here are comparatively low than the other part of the country, amounting to 0.96 USD to 2.50 USD. Some drinks are made from the unique combination of ingredients found only in the islands of the Azores. From traditional Azorean drinks to alcohol, plenty of options are available for you to choose from. In any way, you need to get the raw cultural feeling which will only fulfill if you taste all the traditional drinks first. You will be able to get a comprehensive list of popular and exclusive drinks and local beers that will help you to get a completely different taste from all the other drinks you've tasted. If you are looking for a wide range of varieties in a single place, you must experience open bars on beaches where you can sit and relax and sip on different mocktails and cocktails. Some alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages that you can enjoy in the Azores are listed below:
- Soft drinks
- Fortified wines
- Fruit liqueur
- Black Sausage
- Pimento da terra
- Cozido das Furnas
Tap water in the Azores is drinkable, while mineral water is available in restaurants and shops. It is suggested to boil water before drinking or use filtered water as high fluoride contents in the water supply have been reported. According to the reports, dental fluorosis has been identified in several medical surveys. However, experts advise avoiding tap water in the far-flung rural regions. You should make sure that the water is not contaminated before drinking it to prevent diseases. Sometimes, you might feel some water taste different because of supplements or artesian bores, and others. It would be best if you carried your water bottle for your good, which you can refill anytime from a hygienic place. Or otherwise, you can purchase bottled water because it is readily available throughout and keeps you safe from any potential harm you may encounter. You will also come across many local people who use tap water for daily chores, such as brushing teeth to drinking. You will not get any disease reports, but it's better to take good care of your drinking and hygiene as an outsider. To keep yourself healthy throughout the tour, you must take care of whether the country's tap water is drinkable or not.
You will fall in love with the Azores' location, wildlife, and landscape. It is incredibly unique that you would be doing yourself an injustice if you didn't spend your entire time seeking out its natural wonders. From Sao Miguel's famous lakes to whale watching tours, you'd be amazed throughout your journey in this wonderful place. While watching whale tours, you will see the island's world-famous aquatic life. If you've experienced swimming, diving here is said to be unforgettable. From famous landmarks and attraction points to others, you will get many activities available here. Some other activities you might be interested in are:
- Whale watching tours
- Jet skiing
- Bird watching
- Mountain climbing
- Dolphin watching tours
- Bathe in hot springs
If you want to indulge entirely in the Azores' beauty, you can also participate in the festivals celebrated here. Also, you could take part in several outdoor and indoor activities to make yourself comfortable with the culture and people of the Azores. It is a part of the country where you will find plenty of beaches, mountains, and jungles to help you participate and explore very well. From trekking, snorkeling, mountain climbing, to swimming, fishing, scuba diving, and many others, you will enjoy to the fullest. Make sure to explore every bit of the island as there are many hidden places you might not want to miss. You should participate in things or activities happening around you so that you can enjoy every bit of it like a true Azorean.
Azores is one of the most beautiful places in the entire world. You will be mesmerized by the trip to the islands in the middle of the Atlantic. It is undoubtedly a perfect destination for everyone. However, you must choose the accommodation very carefully based on your budget, staying schedule, and other requirements. Being a trendy destination and the most beautiful place to encounter, you will find many different options available, from cheap to expensive and luxurious. There is a mixture of nature and history and budget and luxuries suiting all travelers worldwide. The accommodations are available in a cozy and friendly environment at affordable prices. You may have a free co-working area or coffee shop area in the locality. The places here also provide you with free Wi-Fi services. For safety purposes and personal belongings, many accommodations come with a private locker, washing machines, etc. Due to this place's beauty, millions of travelers and tourists visit every year in the Azores. Hence, many places provide packages for your stay, such as Surf packages, Yoga packages, Kitesurfing packages, Stand Up Paddle Boarding, and many more.
You will find an on-site spa in almost every location that showcases several treatments that utilize the local thermal steam. You might have an in-house restaurant that offers customers a healthy and local food experience in some places. Hotels and hostels are very eco-friendly concerning nature. The facilities here include luxuries bedrooms at cheap rates, a fine dining area, a balcony with the island view, free Wi-Fi connections, eco-friendly items used overall the place, best deals for everyone, and many more. Some of the best places in the Azores are:
- Furnas Boutique Hotel (Furnas)
- Terra Nostra Garden Hotel (Furnas)
- Azor Hotel (Ponta Delgada)
- Sao Vicente Lodge (Sao Vicente Ferreira)
- Grand Hotel Acores Atlantico (Ponta Delgada)
- Pink House (Faja de Baixo)
Hostels and Guest Houses
Apart from other accommodations, hostels and guest houses are also a better option to have a perfect holiday at very cheap rates than other ones. Some shortlisted places suitable for your budget and amenities are:
- Azores Dream Hostel
- The Nook Hostel
- Pe Direito
- Residential John III
- Out of the Blue Azores
Apartments are flats which are available for rent. The most preferred category of the apartment is two bedrooms, one hall, one kitchen. There are two types of apartments short-term apartments and long-term apartments. Short-term apartments can be booked for a shorter time, like 15 to 30 days. It is beneficial for those who want to stay in an apartment but for a shorter time. It is also helpful for locals because they can accommodate these apartments if their house is a renovation, reconstruction, etc. Next are the long-term apartments. Long-term apartments are those apartments present in the country, especially for those tourists who want to stay for a longer time. Other than his, there are a lot of benefits of staying in an apartment. Apartments are flats, so when you book those flats for rent, there will be no one to disturb you, so you can expect privacy from apartments and can accommodate with your friends, family or partner. You can spend some time together. As the countries of this region are an island, some apartments are present on the seashore. It would help if you tried to accommodate those apartments that are too on the top floor. You can enjoy the beautiful scenery of sunrise or sunset, and the fresh sea breeze will provide freshness to you. Other than this, almost every apartment has balconies, so if it is raining, you can sit in the balconies of these apartments and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the city. More to this, you even get a kitchen where you can cook food by bringing essential items from the nearby grocery store.
Couchsurfing is an excellent method to save a lot of money you would have to spend on other accommodation. Couchsurfing must always be aware of your belongings because you might not know how our host is. Couchsurfing is the right way of interacting and living with locals as with this method's help, and you can experience the culture and traditions of that place. More to this, Couchsurfing has other benefits such that if you request the host and if he agreed you would get a guide for free, he can tell a lot of things about the city with all its tourist places. Couchsurfing is a temporary mode of accommodation that can help you learn many things about the city and its people. Other than this, if he disagrees with you, you can still ask about the history, culture, and different things about the country and the tourist spots of that city. More to this, Couchsurfing is very safe if the city's crime rate is low, so you must always check the city's crime rate before Couchsurfing. Other than this, you can learn various local dishes of that country with the host’s help. However, you must keep in mind that you should not expect something from the host, including stay options because it depends on him, you can get a mattress to sleep, or you can even get your room.
Camping is an adventurous activity that involves sleeping in the night sky on an open campground. Other than this, in some countries, there are beaches where you can camp around. Other than this, there are a few merits, demerits and points which should be kept in mind while camping. Other than this, camping on a hillside involves trekking or hiking, which means that it will be a good exercise for you and help you remain fit. Camping provides an excellent experience to the one trying it. Another is that camping in the summer season will involve various bugs and mosquitoes, so you must pack accordingly. The next issue is that if you are camping on the hillside, there will be less food available to take adequate food with you. Some of the demerits of camping are that it is a temporary mode of accommodation and after some time you will start getting bored. You must always have a backup option ready with yourself. Other than this, you must not camp in bad weather and winter if you are camping you should not use a bonfire to get heat because that will create a lot of pollution, instead of a bonfire you can use an electric heater which can run on batteries so that there will be no pollution. Also, there are pieces of evidence of camping tour which is organized by a lot of countries.
Getting There and Moving Around
Getting to this region of Portugal has two direct ways: flights as each of the islands have their airports, helping you reach any of these islands. There is another way of traveling through ferries or cruises as there are ports on each island. Other than this, there are a lot of options for moving around on the island. This island involves a shorter distance; therefore, you can quickly move around with the help of cycles readily available on rent or sale. You can even cover some distance by walking, which can help you save a lot of money. Other than this, there are taxis, trains, and other travel options available on these islands.
Every island has its airport, and some of the islands have airfields instead of an established airport. Santa marina, an island of this region, has an airport known as Santa Marina airport. Sao Miguel, an island of this region, has an airport known as Joao Paulo II Airport. Sao Jorge has an airport called Sao Jorge airport. Terceira, which is an island under this region, has an airport called Lajes Airport.
There are a lot of buses on each of the islands. Other than this, buses are the most common type of travel mode either within the city or from one city to another. Other than this, buses are the most comfortable option for traveling. Even the prices of these buses are not high, so you can easily afford them.
There are no trains on any of these islands, but there was a train in Sao Miguel, which is the largest island in this region. Other than this, trains are a good option for traveling if you want to cover a long distance in a short period. Moreover, many trains do not cost much and are easily affordable. Different trains have different speeds through which they cover a particular distance in less time. Other trains charges differently. The trains are very comfortable.
Hitchhiking is a method of traveling in which you get a free lift. It is an open type travel option to save a lot of money with the help[ of this method. Other than this, there are some demerits of hitchhiking, which states that you cannot rely on this method as sometimes it happens that you might not get people who are ready to hitchhike. Hitchhiking can make you dependable on a stranger. You must always check the city's crime rate before hitching because sometimes the person might rob you. Moreover, you cannot hitchhike from one island to another because there is no land route between these. However, you can hitchhike to travel from one city to another within the country.
There is another way of traveling to the islands, which is through waterways. However, channels might be boring because it takes a lot of time to have patience. If you want to reach any of the islands through rivers, you must have many days because a cruise or ferry takes time. Other than this, there are a lot of options for moving around. Out of these, walking and cycling are among the best options for moving around as it helps a person remain fit. You can also purchase a cycle from a second-hand store and can use it to move around. This method can help you to save a lot of money. Taxis can be a good option, but that will create a lot of pollution.
Sustainable Products are those products that do not have any harmful impact on nature and society. It involves using renewable resources of energy to produce finished goods, renewable includes solar and wind power, so these are made with solar energy, converted into electricity. These products reduce the wastage of raw material and have the optimum utilization of resources. It generates employment as mostly the production is done with hands and less machine work. It would help if you tried to buy these products as it will create support for local businesses. Sustainable shopping is widely divided into the food market, flea market, second-hand store, and eco-fashion store. The food market is this market where organic fruits and vegetables are sold. These are very good and beneficial for nature as these fruits and vegetables' growth are natural without pesticides or fertilizers. Other than this, these fruits and vegetables directly come from the farm at a store from where you can purchase them. Other than this, there are food markets where you will find many local stalls that sell food ready to eat. These dishes are made in front of your eyes, so you do not have to worry about the food's hygiene and quality. A flea market is where all the vegetables or other food product sells collectively sell their food individually. These are usually arranged by farmers who sell their fruits and vegetables in a bulk quantity. If you live at a place where you are independent and can cook your food, you can purchase them in bulk. If you are buying anything from the flea market, that will generate support to that country's farmers. Other than this, there are many benefits of the flea market which also involves that it will help you save a lot of money if you purchase in bulk quantity. Farmers mostly arrange it, so they are chemical-free. Second-hand stores are where second-hand commodities are sold at a lower price. It reduces the need for new products and saves nature. As it reduces the lack of new product and reduces the amount of energy required to make a new product; however, you will not get any warranty, so you must always check the product before buying it. If the product you purchase does not function well, only you will be responsible for it. Eco-fashion stores are those stores that have sustainable clothes on sale. Sustainable garments are made up of natural fabric such as cotton and are less harmful to the body. Other than this, these products are colored with natural dyes. They are sewed by hand, so the production requires a lot of people. Besides this, eco-fashion stores have many benefits, such as they are not harmful to the skin.
Recycling means reusing. There are many benefits of recycling, including reducing the waste management team's burden by reducing the amount of waste. It also helps in the conservation of natural resources, which are beneficial for nature. As it eliminates the trash, it further reduces pollution because waste in landfills can cause a lot of pollution. It helps reduce the use of energy required to decompose that part of the trash that is now recycled. There are three main recycling steps: collection and processing, manufacturing, and purchasing recycled material. First of all, part of the waste gets selected, which can be recycled. There are different methods of recycling which include trash bins, plastic collectors. After it is collected, the items are further assembled and cleaned. Later, it is sent to a processor that recycles it and manufactures it in raw material sold in the market. Later in manufacturing, the raw material is further used to prepare finished products such as newspaper and paper, aluminum, plastic, glass, other empty containers of soft drinks, etc. Later, the finished product, which is made out of raw material, is sold for regular use. Many things are made from recycled items such as car bumpers, aluminum cans, cereal boxes, cartons, glass containers, etc. Many people are required to select those items that can be recycled; therefore, recycling creates a lot of employment.
Waste is something which we cannot use further; therefore, it is needed to dump the waste. There are public dustbins where you can dump the waste or trash cleaning vans to take the garbage from our home to the general public. Later, these trash cleaner vehicles reach landfills and dump the waste they collected from residential areas. In a landfill, some of the organic waste gets eliminated. The test of the waste goes to incinerators, where it is decomposed using thermal energy. If it remained for a long time, trash could cause a lot of damage to the environment as it can create different types of pollution. Other than this, there are a lot of other problems regarding waste l. In backward and uneducated countries, the people of that country dump the waste in the water body or burn the trash. Dumping waste in the ocean can be very easy, but it will create a problem in the future, and at present, it will damage nature. Burning garbage causes a lot of air pollution and also it disturbs the neatness of the place. Waste management in some countries is not good enough because tourists from the country and the locals do not feel responsible for making the city clean.
Work and Study Abroad
Working in other countries will have its advantages and disadvantages, which you can enjoy in a foreign country. The first advantage is that you will have many job opportunities in a foreign country if you are well educated. Few organizations can help you get jobs that can help you earn a decent amount. One thing about working in a foreign country is that you can make it in foreign currency, and if the exchange rate is higher, you can exchange it with its home currency. Also, working in a foreign country will help you to improve your resume. It can help you understand other countries' cultures where you will work and culture you can even know about that city's work life. Working in a different nation will help your personality as you will become independent and gain a lot of self-confidence because you have to manage all your work alone. Other countries have different education systems, but these are present in Portugal's region. However, there are very few universities in this region that can help you get a good education.
There are significantly fewer universities in this region of Portugal that are accessible to this program. Besides this, there are many benefits of exchange students, including that this program can help you gain knowledge from two different countries. Other than this, with the help of this program, you can travel and study in a foreign country and experience their education system. You can even share the culture of that country by living there. That program will also help you to get employment opportunities in that country again. Some of the personal benefits include that this program boosts a student's self-confidence as he clears the entrance exam to be a part of this program. It also improves the person's social skills as they have to interact with other students and teachers. Some universities offer free education; therefore, there is always an entrance exam that the university takes to participate in this program. You only have to pay for accommodation, which means living there.
An Au pair is a person who stays with a local without paying them and has the work of taking care of the child. Other than this, there are not many au pair works available in these countries. Many of the countries have females as housewives, so they take care of their children. However, there is au pair work available but in a limited amount. With the help of this work, you will have a shelter and stay option without any charge. Other than this, this will also help you in understanding the culture of that particular place. It can also help you to know how the people of that country treats tourist. It would be best to remember that it is work and should not confuse it with a job because it does not involve a salary.
Volunteering is performing, which involves some social work. Some organizations can help you learn many difficulties that are faced by a lot of people. This organization helps the needy by providing them with food and shelter. Other than this, they also provide the uneducated people with some labor work to be independent. Other than this, they also help the old aged people by providing them with shelter and food. Some organizations support the government to clean public places such as beaches and other public attractions. Some of the organizations also help stray animals and provide them with care and food.