Eco-friendly travel guide to Cancun advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Cancun, Mexico.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 4.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$30 - $500
- Budget per day: US$80 - $800
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
The city of Cancun is located in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, on the northeast side of the Yucatan Peninsula. It is quite a safe city as the crime rate is low which makes one easier to move around. The city of Cancun has a long coastline and it is full of beaches from all the side. Cancun is famous worldwide for its white-sand beaches, the blue shiny water, and the cool breeze flowing continuously all around the city. One should be careful while you travel and move around the city so that you won’t pollute the city. The Hotel Zone or the Zona Hotelera area is the best place where you can move around while walking. The best part of the city can only be explored on the feet. You get to see the real beauty of the city when you roam around the city. Being a responsible tourist means making decisions that will be eco friendly and also being culturally sensitive at the same time. There are many ways to do it like using public transport. One can also catch a public bus for traveling a long distance across the city. The bus system in Mexico is one of the best in the world. You can find a bus stop after walking for 2 minutes. You can just ask the driver where they are heading to and you can also ask them to drop you anywhere in between. Unfortunately, there are no train services of any kind in Cancun so one cannot travel through them. Here are some ways you can be a responsible tourist:
- Use shared transportation
- Shouldn’t throw trash anywhere else other than a designated place
- Mostly walk around the city
- Try the local foods in the areas
- Learn the culture of the city
Air Quality and Pollution
The Air Quality of any tourist location or place is a crucial thing to keep in mind because not all tourists can adapt to a city where air pollution is high and the air quality is bad especially people who belong to a sensitive group. Cancun mostly has good air quality and pollution levels aren't bad. Automobiles are the prime source of air pollution in the city as they emit harmful chemicals like carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide. One can say that the effect of automobiles is more than that of the people who visit the city. Other than ground transportation, the shipping industry has contributed a lot to the air pollution. Most of the fuels used in marine ships are fuels that have a major concentration of sulfur which is a contaminant. The air pollution in Cancun is good and their Air Quality Index is around 10-25 US AQI and the main pollutant reading is around PM 2.5 which is quite less as compared to other polluted cities.
Respect the Culture
The city of Cancun is not only famous for its white sand beaches and modern nightclubs but also has an ancient and rich culture of the Mayan. The people here maintain their cultural heritage and that is what they are famous for. Till the 16th Century AD, the Mayan tribes ruled and governed all of the Yucatan Peninsula. The city of Cancun looks like a new tourist spot but has a great history of the Mayan culture. The Mayan ruled ended after a few years when the Spanish showed up so there are many artifacts of the Mayan tribe preserved in Museums of this city. There are ruins of the Mayan period that you can still visit. You can visit the art gallery in the places to know more about the culture. As a tourist, you should always have the utmost respect for one’s culture.
Top 10 Places to Visit
The city of Cancun is surrounded by water which is located in the Yucatan Peninsula. Cancun was ruled by the Mayan tribe since the 6th century. This city is full of tourist spots as some reflect the classiness of the past and some reflect the modern culture of the place. Cancun is famous for its white-sand beaches and the bright blue sea around it.
- Isla Mujeres: Isla Mujeres is one of the most popular places to visit in Cancun. It is a beautiful small island 13 km away from the coast of Cancun. It is a perfect place for one to visit. Isla Mujeres is said to be the home to the Ixchel Temple also called the fertility Goddess of Mayans. You can go snorkeling, or go kayaking, or try the zip line at the Garrafon Natural Reef Park on the Island of Isla Mujeres. The Island is an attraction for the tourists as it has the perfect beauty of its beaches, the blue shiny water, the refreshing breeze all over the Island, and many more features.
- Xplor: Xplor is a peaceful and calm region in the middle of a dense forest. Xplor Park was founded back in 1991 and is attracting children and adults with its beauty and fun activities. You can do numerous activities in this place such as zip lining, rafting, swimming in a river, and driving jeeps in the forest areas. The beauty of the Xplor park can be experienced by zip lining. There is a snack bar in Xplor where they serve you one of the best cookies, smoothies, and healthy juices.
- Xcaret: Xcaret Park and Xplor Park have the same owner but they have different themes. Xcaret Park is an ecological park while the other is an activity-based adventure place. Xcaret Park is the gateway to achieve peace of mind. If you are looking for a break from your hard life. There are also archeological activities in this park. The vibe of the park is as aesthetic as ever. It is located in Carretera Chetumal-Puerto. Xcaret is a huge area where you can see an aquarium in it, a river flowing by which is enchanted into three other underground rivers, etc. You can jump right in the river too. There is also a Children’s World called Mundo de Ninos at Xcaret where your kids can enjoy to the fullest.
- Mayan World Museum: Gran Museo del Mundo Maya is also known as the Mayan World Museum reflects the history of the city that is the Mayan culture. The Mayan tribe has laid its roots in this city since the 6th century AD. The museum has a collection of more than a thousand and a hundred artifacts. It is located twelve kilometers north of Downton. The museum is shaped like a ceiba or a sacred tree believed by the Mayan. It signifies the connection of both the underworld and the heavens with the living. There is a free light and sound show on a wall outside at nighttime.
- Aquaworld Cancun: Aquaworld, the largest dive shop in Mexico, is like a paradise for one. Aquaworld Cancun is in the Hotel Zone of Cancun. It is a PADI Centre for Diving. It is a well-known organization for fishing and other activities like swimming with the dolphins, diving, etc. One should not forget to visit the famous SubSee explorer at Aquaworld. The price of diving is somewhat more than 10k pesos. You can visit here on any day of the week.
- Tulum: One should visit the beautiful site of Tulum which is located one and a half hours away from Downtown Cancun.
- Crococun: The Crococun farm started for breeding at first and now has become an interactional zoo which is located 30 km away from Downtown. You get a guide who helps you to explore the whole zoo and understand the beauty of it. You are allowed to play with baby crocodiles, feed the spider monkeys in the park and you will be walking in open areas with the crocodiles beside you.
- Dolphin Beach: The best photogenic place in Cancun is Dolphin Beach. One should visit this place in Cancun as this is the most beautiful beach in the city. You can click selfies on the selfie spot called El Mirador, where you can see CANCUN installed in bold. It is the most relaxing place in the city. The best time you can visit Dolphin Beach is from 9 o clock in the morning to 5 in the evening. There is no entry fee for the beach. You can take all the pictures that you want and make your trip more memorable.
- Senor Frogs Restuarant: The trip to Mexico is incomplete if you don’t dine at the Senor Frogs Restaurant where you will get to eat the best Mexican cuisines. The vibe of the restaurant is contemporary and it has a funky look. It is a family restaurant where you can spend your quality time. The synonym of Senor Frogs is fun. The restaurant is perfect for a party as the staff of Senor Frogs knows how to throw one. After 9 pm this family restaurant turns into a nightclub for adults. It is a restaurant where you can enjoy drinks with a Mexican theme.
- All Ritmo Water Park: Located in Puerto Juarez Punta Sam, the All Ritmo Water Park is an amazing place to have fun at. The park is full of water slides, water rides, and water umbrellas that will make you forget all your stress. There is a soccer field, an arena for mini golf, a tennis court, and areas for all the other games you want to play in the park.
Cancun, the famous Mexican city located in the state of Quintana Roo, is popular for its white sand beaches, the bright sea, the calm and refreshing breeze, the Mayan culture, and much more interesting things. The city is full of places and activities to explore. The word Cancun means the nest of serpents, some people also translate it as ‘The throne of the snake’ or ‘Enchanted snake’. It was named by the people of the Mayan tribe, yet the reason why it is named as such is unknown.
The city parks are the life of this city, you can find city parks of all different kinds which are present all over Cancun. Here are some of the parks you should visit while you are in the city:
- Garrafon Natural Reef Park – The Garrafon Natural Park is located on the island of Isla Mujeres which is thirteen kilometers away from the coast of Cancun. You can enjoy all the kinds of activities in the park such as walking, cycling, kayaking, sightseeing, zip lining, and many more.
- Cenotes Zapote EcoPark – The Cenotes Zapote Ecopark is a thrilling park where you get to explore the jungle on a zip line of length around 450 meters. It is a massive park where one should definitely visit to face the challenges of the jungle. You also get to swim in the clean waters of Cenote El Abuelo Cheche.
- Xel Ha – Xel Ha is located beside the sea Riviera Maya. It is one of the natural parks located in the city. You get to enjoy nature like never before. The region is quite biologically wealthy. The park got a natural lagoon for swimming, you can also have a walk in the jungle, there are many other land and water activities in this park. The place is near Tulum so you can visit there too on the very same day.
- Xenses – Xenses is a half day park where you will unleash the power of senses and participate in activities of more than 50 amazing scenarios. Your senses to see, hear, taste, smell, touch, and other hidden senses will be unlocked. This is one of the best places to visit in Cancun. You will start from El Rehilete which is the starting point of this circuit race like activity, you will meet the small Dwarves and the large Giants. You will walk in caves filled with darkness, discover a place of nature to cool off in the garden of Xitrico. This is the best park in the city one could visit to have the best time in their life.
The city is surrounded by water. Hence, the National parks are based on underwater life. There are a few national parks around this city and one can visit/
- Arrecife Chitales – Arrecife Chitales national park is a coral reef of the Caribbean Safaris.
- Kingabaloula Forest – This national park is also one of the major forests in Cancun.
- Green Navel Reserve Park – Green Navel Reserve Park is also known as Kabah Urban Park is a friendly wildlife forest where one can go for running, cycling, exercising, see the animals around the forest, etc.
Cancun is famous for its beaches worldwide. The white sand beaches of this city are the most gorgeous thing one can see around. The Yucatan Peninsula is surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico, the famous Caribbean Sea, and the majestic Atlantic Ocean. It is blessed by one of the most beautiful beaches in the whole world. Here are some of the best beaches in the city:
- Playa Delfines – Playa Delfines, also known as Dolphin Beach, is the perfect place for one to relax and have a good time. The vibe of the beach makes it a photogenic spot. You can also click photos with the huge sign of CANCUN, but you have to wait in a line for some time.
- Puerto Morelos – Puerto Morelos is one of the calmest beaches in the city. For people who don’t like crowds and want to relax in silence, Puerto Morelos is the perfect beach for you. It is at a distance of 30 minutes from Downtown. Puerto Morelos is a fishing village with clean beaches, friendly villagers, and has a fresh and calm vibe coming from it.
- Playa Tortugas – The fresh and crystal clear waters of Playa Tortugas is quite famous. You can get a ferry from this beach to the island Isla Mujeres which makes the beach very crowded. One can swim on this beach because of the calm currents of water flowing most of the time. You can find food, drinks at a very reasonable price. You can also shop on the beach.
- Playa Forum – Playa Forum is a jumble of everything you need on a beach. It is a white sand beach which is known as the specialty of the city. This beach is like Puerto Moreles as it is away from the city’s hustle and allows you to spend a perfect and peaceful beach day. It is just located behind one of the trendiest spots for nightlife in the city.
- Playa Chac Mool – Some people just sit on the sand sunbath on the beach while others like to go and swim in the water. Well, this is the perfect beach for people who want to swim in the depth of the water. There is a diving spot available on this beach so you can enjoy the best out of the beach.
Cancun is not a city where the ideal landmarks are just highrises, tall buildings, resorts, and water parks. There are numerous landmarks which have a historic significance attached to them. Given below is the list of a few of them:
- Mayan Ruins
- Centro Ceremonial Kohunlich
- Puerta Del Cielo (Heaven's Gate Church)
The city of Cancun has a long history of the Mayan tribe, which can be easily understood in these museums of the city. If you like to explore the culture and learn about the history of any city, museums are the perfect place to visit. Here is a list of all the museums in the city:
- Mexican Folk Art Museum
- Museo Maya de Cancun
- Museo Subacuatico de Arte (MUSA)
This Mexican city is a famous tourist destination, hence many popular restaurants represent all types of Mexican cuisines. Cancun is not only known for its beaches but also the best Mexican and Mayan food that originated from the city. There is also a huge variety of Caribbean cuisines in this city. Marquesitas, Castacan, Panuchos, Salbutes, Pozole, etc. are some popular dishes in Cancun. And all this food represents the locals of the city. There are many beautiful places where one can dine in Cancun with their family, friends, or relatives.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Some of the most famous traditional local restaurants in Cancun are:
- Restaurante La Habichuela – La Habichuela is a classic restaurant in Cancun. The restaurant has now served for more than 39 years with exceptional service and amazing food. The restaurant has also appeared on the list of USA Today’s, Best Cancun restaurants, and also in Top Cancun Restaurants.
- Tora Cancun – It is a Japanese restaurant. It provides you with one of the best Japanese Caribbean seafood. They provide you with food at a very reasonable price.
- Lorenzillo – The atmosphere of the place sets the mood for dining in this place. One should try the heavenly dishes made with the utmost care for the customer.
Vegetarian and Vegan
Keeping in mind there are many vegetarian restaurants where a vegan can eat, listed below are some of the interesting places to see:
- Vegan Planet – Vegan Planet is said to be one of the 100% Vegetarian restaurants in Cancun and a perfect stop for all your Vegan needs.
- Natura - Natura Restaurant is located in the Zona Hotelera
There are also other vegan restaurants such as Leaf Cancun, the Surfin’ Burrito, Dharma Café, 100% Natural, etc, and many more in this city.
As mentioned above, Cancun has it’s famous street food all around the city. Some of it includes:
Street food can be found in the popular food market such as Mercado 23 or Mercado 28 and from street vendors.
Western Cafés are available in Cancun where one can visit to spend some free time. Nightclubs for drinking and enjoying are all over the city. You will never feel exhausted in this city. The clubbing life in this city is quite expensive but also worth it. The city is full of nightclubs, bars, hotels, and restaurants, where one can enjoy all kinds of quality drinks this place has to offer.
Anyone visiting Cancun is mostly advised to drink bottled water, as even the slightest change in your water can make you feel sick. One can brush their teeth with this tap water, but drinking it can be dangerous for you.
Besides the Caribbean and Mexican cuisine, there are many organic cafés in this city. Some of the few organic cafés in Cancun:
- Restaurante Natura
- La Organica
- Ah Cacao Chocolate Café
- Café Andrade
As being the center of tourist attraction, the city has to store a large amount of beer to satisfy the needs of the tourists. There are a few breweries located in Cancun such as:
- CM- Heineken
- Isla Brewing Company
- Puerto Juarez Brewery
Cancun is a place full of activities that one can enjoy on a trip. People think that the beaches and nightlife are the only important aspects of the city, but they are wrong as there are many other fun activities to do in Cancun. The livelihood of the city can be seen in visiting places like the Chichen Itza or the underwater museum in Isla Mujeres. You can also go sightseeing in places like El Rey Ruins, Torre Escenica, or the Mayan Ruins. Endless activities like diving, swimming, zip-lining, kayaking, cycling, exercising, etc are very common in the city and also the best things to do. One can experience the best period of their life in this city. You can just start with a normal walk and you will end up taking part in various activities unknowingly.
Yoga and Retreats
Originated in India, Yoga has now spread worldwide. The calmness of the city and the refreshing breeze all around makes the city an ideal place for practicing yoga. Yoga is derived from a Sanskrit word called ‘Yuj’ which means ‘to join’ or ‘to unite’. It is a form of exercise that was practiced since the 5th and 6th centuries BC. Cancun has also adopted the practice of yoga recently. Here are some yoga retreats located in Cancun:
- Maye Yoga Retreats
- Casa Venado Yoga
- Its Yoga Cancun
- Red Buddha Yoga and Wellness
- Jivana Yoga Retreats
- One Breath of Yoga Ashram
- Villa Shanti
Cancun is heaven on earth if you like the beach life. One can experience everything in this small city. If you are planning to visit there soon, you might be wondering where to stay. Well, there are some of the best hotels and resorts ranging from luxury to budget friendly in Cancun where one can have an easy stay. The Hotel Zone or the Zona Hotelera, Punta Cancun, or the El – Centro/ Cancun Downtown are the most preferable places where one can stay.
Eco hotels or the Green hotels provide you with the best service and embrace the ecology of the place. Green hotels practice environmentally conscious ways in any tourism industry. They work on solar and wind energy, they have responsible waste management and are well cooperates with the local communities. You can book these kinds of hotels so you will at least know that you are doing something good for the environment. Some of the famous green hotels include:
- Hyatt Ziva Cancun
- Live Aqua Beach Resort
- Fiesta Americana Condesa Cancun
- Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels and Guest Houses
Some of the esteemed hostels and guest houses where one can stay comfortably are:
- Moloch Hostel
- Fiesta Part Hostel
- El Hostalito
The city of Cancun is quite expensive. If you are looking to buy an apartment in the city, you need to check all the necessary details of the place and request for a reasonable price from the dealer. Living in Cancun could be amazing as you are provided with all the basic services 24 hours a day. The Hotel Zone is the most expensive place to buy an apartment. You can find houses in the Downtown Area of the city where you will get an adequate price. You can find all types of houses like a flat, or a condo, a suite, or a bungalow, etc.
Couch surfing in Cancun is possible yet hard to find. Couch surfing does not provide any safety to the host or the guest. It is risky to couch surf in an unknown city. Although, there are some places you can find houses where you can stay without paying anything. You can also lookup online for houses that are couch surfing nearby and join them.
Camping is one of the fun activities in Cancun. There are places where you can camp so there won’t be any need to look for a hotel to stay in. Some of the places suitable for camping are:
- Cabanas el Mecoloco and Camping
- Camping Cancun RV
- Cancun Tours Paradise
How to Get There
Cancun city is in the southeast part of Mexico. It comes under the state of Quintana Roo. It is an ideal place for tourists to visit because of its famous beaches. People worldwide can travel to the city through different modes. Cancun has perfect weather, white-sand beaches, and the bright sea around it. Given below are some of the ways of travel that should help you to reach here without any issues.
Cancun International Airport serves Cancun which connects Europe, United States of America, and Asia and provides with most of the major carriers. The city center is towards the northeast of the airport. Traveling by air is said to be the easiest and best way to get there because you will experience the real beauty of Cancun from above. Cancun International Airport has three terminals. Two terminals are public for international and domestic flights and the other terminal is for cargo flights. You can find a taxi or get on a bus to reach your hotel. It is suggested to book a taxi beforehand you reach the airport.
Mexico provides you with the best bus services in the world. The bus station in Cancun city is in Calle Pino. Many bus companies do provide buses to Cancun from nearby cities and vice versa. Buses to Cancun can be booked online. You can find first class buses as well as second class buses for your travel.
Unfortunately, there are no railway lines connected to Cancun. There are future plannings for the Mayan train that will connect Valladolid, Cancun, Puerto Morelos, Coba, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, etc. Hence, this train project isn’t culturally responsible and got denied by the Government of Mexico.
You can find a lift from the Mexican highway from many drivers passing by or you can find a bus on highway routes like Mexico 180 and Mexico 307. Most of the time it will not cost you anything but sometimes you will have to pay a bit amount for the ride. It’s easier to find a ride near a gas station or a speed bump.
Ferry services are available from the port of Isla Mujeres to the port of Puerto Juarez in Cancun. There are passenger ships available that run from South America to the USA and back regularly. You can also reach there by road in your private car or a mini van. Major highways like Mexico 307 and Mexico 180 will lead you towards the city.
Moving around in Cancun is quite easy because you get all the efficient options. From a bus ride and taxis to walking around or renting a car. Cancun is said to be one of the most famous cities in the world with beautiful attractions, white sandy beaches, and various landmarks. This guide helps you with the most efficient ways to move around the city.
If you want to explore a city to its fullest, the best way is to walk around the city. You get to see every aspect of the city on walking. Downtown Cancun, or the area near the Hotel Zone of the city, is the safest to walk around. If you go far from this area, you’ll find it a less tourist-like place. You can walk around to find many street markets and nearby shops. You will find a variety of markets in this city. As the city has a rich history of tradition and folklore. You can explore it while walking around this city.
Cancun has quite straight routes which make it a perfect place to bike around on your bicycle. You can find some bike rental shops near the Hotel Zone where you can find a bicycle and travel around the city of Cancun. There are also sports for bike tours in the city.
The state government of Quintana Roo will install approximately 20 charge stations for electric vehicles. Electric vehicles help to save the environment and are an eco-friendly way of exploring the city. There are many rental services from where you can find an electric vehicle for your traveling purpose.
The public buses of Cancun are reviewed as one of the best and greatest bus systems for a tourist destination. The buses in the Hotel Zone of the city runs twenty-four hours a day. The one-way fare of these buses are around 8.5 pesos and will take you anywhere in the city. Public buses are the easiest way to travel around this city.
Tram, Train and Subway
Services for Trams, Trains, or Subways are unavailable in Cancun. The Government of Mexico has certain plans to built a railway route for trains in their states. They haven’t found any efficient way to do so, hence the plans are still at a halt.
Beaches apart for a second, you’ll find plenty of reasons to shop around on this trip of yours to Cancun. You should not miss the opportunity to buy a few souvenirs, like t-shirts, mugs, and magnets for refrigerators, some of the beautiful handcrafted items, or you just want to buy a swimsuit or sunhat. And of course, if you’re in Cancun on one of its few rainy days throughout the year, the mall is a good place to spend it. When it comes to retail therapy, there are plenty of options in and around this popular beach destination.
After taking a long walk on the streets of the city, one would definitely feel hungry and would like to taste some delicious food. Cancun has a variety of foods to offer you such as Marquesitas, Castacan, Panuchos, Salbutes, Pozole, Cochinita Pibil, Sikil Pak, and many more amazing types of food. Given below are some food markets where you can visit to eat these dishes:
- Mercado 28
- Market 23
- ORGANIC Market
There are plenty of flea markets available in Cancun. Some of the most famous ones are:
- Luxury Avenue: To find an ideal souvenir for your family or friends one can visit here to buy a designer handbag, a pair of shoes, or some jewelry or cosmetics, Luxury Avenue is the best place to splurge. This mall is connected to Kukulkan Plaza, so if you get sticker shock, head next door where you’ll find more bargains.
- La Isla: La Isla is located near the Lagoon side of Hotel Zone, the mall is quite well known in Cancun. There are a number of shops as well as boutiques, but even if you’re not interested in buying anything, make a stop here in the late afternoon to do some window shopping in a very pleasant atmosphere of canals and channels, see a movie at the theatre, or be alternately amused and astonished by what you’ll see at the Cancun Wax Museum. At sunset, have a drink at one of the bars and restaurants lining the waterfront to enjoy the day’s end with a front-row view.
- Mercado 28: When you are up for some haggling, you can visit Mercado 28 in downtown Cancun to test your skills in it. This is one of the largest and most visited markets in the city and the majority of items for sale here are designed to appeal to tourists. You can buy handicrafts, silver jewelry, souvenirs, from plenty of vendors who will try their best to sell you. After buying everything you need you can also enjoy the food in the market as it is also one of the best food markets in Cancun.
- Kukulcan Plaza: Located in Zona Hotelera, this mall offers you one of the best boutiques as well as handicraft shops in an attractive manner. It’s an indoor mall, which makes it a very comfortable place to spend an afternoon if the weather is not ideal for one. A performance depicting the return of the Maya god Kukulcan takes place every Saturday and in the end, there’s a chance to take your photo with the performers in their spectacular costumes.
- Mercado 23: Mercado 23 is the oldest market in the city and the closest thing you’ll find to a traditional Mexican market in this tourist town. Located in downtown Cancun, this market is where locals come to stock up on a wide range of items from fruits and vegetables and meat, to home goods and stationery, and piñatas and party favors. This is also a place where you can have a meal, get your hair cut, or find an herbal remedy for almost any ailment. You’ll still find the usual souvenirs and handicrafts, and a bit more leeway for bargaining than other markets and shops.
- Coral Negro Flea Market: The Coral Negro Flea Market is located in the Party Zone of the city, near all the famous night clubs. You can also get a tattoo in this market or you can pierce your body or braid your hair.
- Plaza Las Americas : The mall is located in Tulum, hence it is far away from the Hotel Zone. A lot of locals come here to buy in this mall and it’s completely crowded with them. There will be many shops that you will recognize in the mall. If you forget buying any basic item before then it is a perfect place for you. You will find all the necessary items to buy in this mall. Also, it is fun to watch the Cancunenses (the locals living in Cancun) doing their shopping. There is also a Cinepolis theatre in this mall where you can watch a movie.
Second Hand Stores
There are a few thrift shops or second-hand stores available in Cancun where one can buy something at a very less price. There are shops for second-hand electronics, furniture, and home appliances, clothes, etc available in this city. Here is a list of some of the shops you can visit in the city to buy these second-hand products:
- Super Bazar
- Casi Nuevo
- Bazar Itzaes
- Needful Things
- Bazar Cancun
- Bazar Taz
- Segunda Vida Boutique
Cancun is full of greenery because of the wealthy habitat in the region which is because of the eco friendly ways of living. The eco friendly way of fashion is to buy products that won’t harm the environment at any cost. It is also a responsibility for you to protect the environment and not pollute it in any way. You can buy eco-friendly products from a few shops in Cancun, namely:
- Las 3 Puertas
- Organic Market
- Green Spot Organic
Started in 2016, the Recycling program generates electricity, aluminum, compost and recycled plastic, cardboard, and paper products with the use of garbage that is generated in Cancun and the island of Isla Mujeres. Recycling is now practiced by many small companies in the city. Some of the hotels have their very own recycling system. You can call up agencies in the locality and they will recycle the waste for you. Here are some known Recycling centers in Cancun:
- Recolecta Mexico
- La Mas Grande
Cancun is a well-known tourist center, hence the waste collected mainly comes from the tourist industry sector. Back in 1993, the waste collected was around 47000 tons and in today's date total of 329000 tons of waste is collected. Most of the waste is generated in the Hotel Zone. The solid waste management system is really bad in this city because there aren’t many plants available in this city.
Work and Study Abroad
One should get a visa for working in Cancun to work here without any issues. To get permission to work in this place you need to first receive any job offer before traveling in the country. Many famous companies have their branch in this place. Job offers for hotel management workers are more in Cancun. Many lowkey workers still work in Hotels and Restaurants who get paid in cash. One should be aware of working in these types of jobs is quite common which is illegal as well as it can put you in some serious trouble of deportation. There are very few universities to study in Cancun. One would not recommend you to study in a city which is a tourist attraction as it will just distract you from your studies and might diverse your mind in spending time unreasonably.
There are a few universities in Cancun where one can study as an exchange student. Although, you do not get many options for your particular stream. Here are a few universities that you can opt for:
- Technological Institute of Cancun
- Technology University of Cancun
- Anahuac University of Cancun
- Polytechnic University of Quintana Roo
- University Tecmilenio
- University of the Caribbean
Working as an Au Pair in foreign makes you feel at home with all the hustle around you. In Cancun, you can search for houses that need an Au Pair online and go stay with them. It is really easy to find jobs as an Au Pair, as it is accepted worldwide now.
Volunteering is one of the best things one can do to contribute their part to mankind. There are numerous ways in which one can volunteer. There are all types of NGOs and organizations that allow you to volunteer for them. Here are some ways that you can volunteer for a good cause:
- Restore the Coral Reeff – The Cozumel Coral Reef Program helps in restoring the parts of coral reefs around the island. There is a need for divers for this program. One can volunteer for it by taking a course called the coral reef restoration course.
- Plant a Tree – The Life Program of Selvatica has now planted more than 300K trees in its forest. The planting of the tree does not cost you anything more than the tour package of the place.
- Save a Sea Turtle – Sea Turtle Workshop is held in Punta Sur Park where you can find Loggerhead turtles as well as Green turtles. And awareness of the safety of these turtles is spread throughout the area.
- Working at an Orphanage – Volunteering in an Orphanage is one of the most blessed things to do. The Cancun Pro Kids which is also known as La Casita Children’s Home takes care of more than 100 kids. They shelter and educate children under their care.