Eco-friendly travel guide to Cork advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Cork, Ireland.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5/ 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 4.5 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$80 - $400
- Budget per day: US$50 - $200
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
The city of Cork is situated in the Republic of Ireland which is also named as the second largest city of the country. Being a tourist in today's world comes with its own set of responsibilities and obligations. The change climate of the planet urges us to be more responsible and take accountability for our actions and also study the impact we have on the environment. One must travel in an eco friendly way and ensure that the local citizens or the natural surroundings are not affected. These are some of the most crucial tips that vacationers must follow to travel responsibly.
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience includes discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote sustainable living as much as possible in the city to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the city that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the city. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards the city to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
The Air quality and pollution levels in Cork are worrying. It is considered to be amongst the most polluted places in the world. The AQI is recorded to be around 430 on many days which is very dangerous. The cold weather doesn’t help and the emissions from burning coal, peat and wood aren’t dispersed. How does this affect you? Microscopic pollutants in the air can penetrate respiratory and circulatory systems which can damage the lungs, heart and brain so you need to be careful and take precautionary measures when visiting Cork. These include
- Wearing a mask
- Keeping your inhaler and antihistamines handy if you suffer from allergies and asthma
- Check the AQI of the area you will be staying at and avoid industrial areas
Respect the Culture
What makes the culture of cork is the language, literature, music, art, folklore, cuisine and sports associated with the city and the country by extension. Irish culture is very rich and unique and is heavily influenced by Anglo Norman, English and Scottish culture. Things like Saint Patrick’s day, Trad music, Pub culture are largely celebrated. It is very important to not only familiarise yourself with the local culture but also respect it. Irish people take pride in their identity and culture so they want it to be respected especially by tourists.
Top 10 Places to Visit
There are so many places which are present in the city of Cork where the tourists should definitely visit, all the places are best in it's own way. Top 10 places that tourists can visit in this city are mentioned below
- Blarney Castle & Gardens - This medieval castle that was built around 600 years ago is just magnificent. The staggering structure showcases some of the world’s best architecture. The pathways, gardens, caves add to its beauty! This is a must visit when in Cork.
- Blarney Stone - Blarney Stone is located inside the blanket castle and is known as the Stone of Eloquence. It is believed that if you kiss the stone it imparts the gift of Eloquence upon you and many legends have travelled from afar just to kiss the Blarney Stone.
- Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral - What would be Ireland without its castles and cathedrals. Enjoy the best of Irish architecture by visiting this beautiful gothic revival three spire cathedral. It’s also the oldest Catholic Church which is still in operation.
- Blackrock Castle Observatory - This 16th century fort is the oldest surviving structure in cork that is still in use. It has now turned into a robotic observatory and science venture which offers panoramic views of the Cork harbour.
- Cobh Heritage Centre - If you are a history buff then this is a must visit! This heritage museum is also a historic naval, emigration and shipping harbour. Fun fact: This is from where titanic set sail!! It is open five days a week, Wednesday to Sunday and tickets range from €6-12
- Spike Island - This massive island is spread over a 103 acres and is dominated by an 18th century bastion fort named Fort Mitchel. This island was often used for defence and also as a prison due to its strategic location. You can reach it by a ferry from Kennedy pair and tickets can be booked online. .
- The English Market - On the hunt for organic produce that is produced locally? This is the place to be. The English market is one of the most famous food markets for Cork and if you want to try the true taste of Irish food, this is your best bet. Try those famous Irish potatoes!
- Cork City Gaol- This is a prison turned into a museum. Again if you’re a history buff then this is the place to be. It gives you an insight into the lives of people who ended up behind its walls in the 19th and early 20th century. A great way of learning about early prison and justice systems.
- Fota Island - Fota island is host to Ireland’s only wildlife park as well as the historical Fota house and gardens and golf course. The Fota island resort located on the island is also one of the finest luxury hottest in cork and one of the few resort hotels in Ireland.
- Fota wildlife Park- Fota wildlife park is a very beautiful nature reserve which is present in the region of Carrigtwohill of the city Cork, this nature reserve has so many plants and animals which are of different species.
Cork is a beautiful city and there is so much to explore. From museums, parks, castles, beaches, landmarks, food markets and what not. It might not be the ultimate vacation spot due to a lack of mainstream commercial attractions but its definitely worth visiting if you are a fan of English countryside and architecture.
In the city of Cork there are so many city parks which are always filled by visitors as they find this place extremely relaxing, names of some of the city parks of this city are mentioned below
- FitzGerald Park- FitzGerald Park is a luscious green city park present in the region of Mardyke of the city Cork, this city park is ideal for children because of the massive ground and the quiet scenery.
- Skehard Road Public Park- Skehard Road Public Park is present in the region of Blackrock of the city Cork which is one of the popular parks of Cork. The atmosphere of this city park is very pleasant for nature lovers and they will definitely have a very good time at this city park.
The national parks are the perfect place for the people who are nature lovers and in the city of Cork also there are various national parks. Names of national parks which are present in this city are mentioned below
- Garryduff Woods Forest Recreational Area- Garryduff Woods Forest Recreational Area is a protected area which is present in the region of Oldcourt of the city Cork, visitors will get to see so many unique and new species of plants and trees.
- Fota Wildlife Park - Fota wildlife park is perfect for the nature and animal lovers to visit as here the visitors will get to see so many wide varieties and species of both flora and fauna, visitors can reach to this wildlife park very easily by opting for any one of the public transportation.
Cork has a great variety of beaches where you can kickback and relax. Some of the popular ones include:
- Barleycove beach - Barleycove beach is one of the most popular beaches which is present in the region of Barleycove of the city Cork, this beach is maintained very nicely by the local staff of this beach and is very neat and clean. The visitors can be seen doing so many outdoor activities over this beach and some families might also be seen doing picnics.
- Clonakilty beach - Clonakilty beach is also a very famous beach which is present in the region of Clonakilty of the city Cork, the visitors also get the facilities of food stalls at this beach and they can eat anything they want to very reasonable prices.
Landmarks are one of those places which are favourites amongst the tourists to visit when they are on a trip to the city of Cork. Names of the landmarks which are present in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- St. Fin Barre's Cathedral- st. fin barre's cathedral is one of the most fabulous tourist attraction spots which is present in the Bishop's street, this cathedral was constructed so many years ago but because of this good maintenance by the local staff of this cathedral still it is in a very good shape.
- St Mary's Cathedral - St Mary's Cathedral is a church which is present in the Roman Street of the city Cork, this beautiful cathedral was opened for public display in 1808 and was built in a very unique Neo Gothic Revivalist style.
Museums are one of those places where people can gain so much knowledge of the place there are on a trip and in the city of Cork also has so many museums and every museum has its own significance, names of some of the museums are mentioned below
- The butter museum- The butter museum is a popular museum which is present in the region of Shandon of the city Cork, this museum has all the past information regarding the butter production and the techniques through which butter was made earlier.
- Cork Public Museum - Cork Public Museum is a must visit museum for the tourists to visit as here they will get to know so many interesting things about the past of this city, this museum also provides information about the archeology of the city Cork. Cork public museum is maintained very nicely by the local staff of this museum and because of this it has daily visitors.
It is necessary for every tourist who is on a trip to Cork that he/she should consume the cuisine of this city, tourists can consume the cuisine of the city Cork in any of the local restaurants. The cuisine of the city Cork is quite similar to Irish cuisine as so many of the dishes are very similar to the Irish cuisine. Dishes that the tourists can try in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- Tripe & Drisheen
- Local farmhouse cheese
- Bacon and cabbage
- Smoked salmon
Traditional Local Restaurants
Traditional and local restaurants are ideal places for the tourists as this is the place where they can taste the local food of the city of Cork. These traditional and local restaurants of the city Cork serve quality food to their customers, anyone can afford a meal in these restaurants as the prices are very affordable and reasonable. Tourists can go to any of the local restaurants of the city Cork to taste the local food, names of some of the restaurants which are present in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- Nosta Restaurant
Vegetarian and Vegan
In the city of Cork there are dedicated restaurants for both vegetarian and vegan people, people can eat their desired dishes whether it be vegetarian or vegan over these restaurants without any second thought. Vegan people do not consume any food which is made or cooked from any kind of the derivatives which is from animals, there are some restaurants in the city of Cork which are made specially for vegan people which serve vegan people. Names of some of the vegetarian and vegan restaurants present in the city Cork are mentioned below
- Liberty Grill
The local people of the city Cork love to eat Street food as it is ready to make and very delicious also, the rates of the street food is also very affordable in Cork Tourists can consume street food in any of the food stalls available in the city of Cork, although the quality of the food served is not as good as the food which is served in the local restaurants of the city Cork. Names of some of the places where people can consume the street food in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- Soba Asian Street Food
The local people of the city Cork love to consume drinks whether it be alcoholic or non alcoholic drink, beer is one of the most common drinks which is consumed by the majority of the population of the city Cork. People who are below 18 years of age are strictly not allowed to drink alcohol in the city of Cork, strict punishments are there for such kind of people who will break the rules in this city. The local people of the city Cork are also very fond of drinking wine and it is also one of the most consumed drinks of this city.
The tap water of the city Cork is considered to be safe for the consumption of human beings as the amounts of impurities which are present in the tap water are quite less. Although the local people of the city Cork have water purifiers at their homes so as to filter the tap water properly and remove the harmful microorganisms which are present in the tap water.
The local people of the city Cork are very fond of consuming tea and coffee or any of the caffeinated drinks, people visit the organic cafes which are present in their nearby localities daily so as to consume caffeinated drinks in Cork. The organic cafes serve organic tea and coffee and both of them are made without any use of chemical compounds which are harmful for human consumption and can cause several health complexities. Names of some of the organic cafes present in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- Quay Co-op
- Perry Street Market cafe
In the city of Cork there are some breweries which produce good quality beer, beer is one of the most consumed drinks of the city Cork and the local people consume it everyday because of its low alcohol content. Beer from these breweries are exported to other cities and regions of the country Ireland as the requirement of beer in this country is very high. Names of the breweries that are present in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- The Franciscan Well Brewery
- Rising sons brewery
In the city of Cork there are so many different kinds of activities which both local people of this city and the tourists which they can do, tourists will definitely enjoy doing activities in Cork which they won't be able to do in their own country. The city of Cork is perfect for the people who love to do adventures as it has so many places and regions where people can do adventurous activities.
Yoga and Retreats
The city of Cork has so many resorts, hotels, retreats and many such places where people who are interested to do yoga and practice it there. Yoga is a scientifically proven practice or technique which is gaining so much attention amongst the people from all over the world as it is helping so many people to attain mental peace and remain fit even after a tight schedule. Names of some yoga retreats which are present in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- Real Alive Yoga
- Inner light yoga
Accommodation is the most important factor for the tourists and this is the first thing every tourist surf over the internet when they are planning a trip to the city of Cork. The tourists can opt for any mode of accommodation as per their needs and requirements and which fulfills their wishlist in the city Cork. The city of Cork has different modes of accommodation both for the local people and the for the tourists, modes of accommodation which are available in this city are mentioned below
- Green hotels
- Guest houses
The intent behind switching to green hotels is that they are completely harmless towards the environment and are very beneficial, the number of green hotels in the whole world are increasing at a very rapid pace and so in the city of Cork as they are extremely efficient. In the city of Cork also there are various green hotels which are totally eco-friendly, the other hotels which are present in this city are also looking to convert their hotels into green hotels. Names of some of the green hotels which are present in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- Hotel Isaacs Cork
- The Montenotte Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostel is the most ideal and also the most suitable mode of accommodation for the students who came to the city of Cork for studying, such students don't have their local relatives or friends where they can live. Names of some hostels which are present in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- Sheila's Hostel
- Cork International Hostel
Guest houses is another very convenient mode of accommodation which is available in the city of Cork, names of some of the guest houses which are present in the city of Corkare mentioned below
- Kilarney guest house
- Garnish guest house
Apartments have become the first choice accommodation between the middle class people of the city Cork, people can rent apartments from any of the apartment renting agencies which are present in the city of Cork. In the city of Cork people can rent apartments at very reasonable prices, names of some of the apartments present in this city are mentioned below
- Oakleigh house
- 39 Camden wharf
For doing couch surfing one must have a local relative or a friend so that tourists can live at their accommodation in the city Cork, couch surfing is a very common practice which is done by so many people of the city Cork. The local people of Cork are also very kind enough to welcome their relatives and friends with an open heart and provide them with the best hospitality so as to make their trip easy and convenient.
Camping is an adventurous activity which can only be practiced in a forest or a place which is thickly covered by trees or fkora, camping should only be done if one has a good experience or has taken training from an expert or else he/she might face some difficulties. In the city of Cork there are various camping centres where people who are interested in doing camping can do it over here.
How to Get There
It is very easy for all the tourists to reach the city of Cork as this city is very well connected with other urban cities and regions of the country Ireland. Tourists can opt for air transportation if they want to reach Cork in a very short period of time, air transportation is very well developed in the city of Cork. Tourists can also take a train so as to reach the city of Cork as this city has a very well developed railway network. Buses are also available for transportation in the city of cork as this city has well connected roadways.
The city of Crok has a well developed air transportation and this city has one international airport where all the flights whether it be domestic flights or international flights both land and take off daily. The Cork international airport accommodates over a million people every year and the airport is spread in a very large surface area. People who want to travel through airplanes in the city of Cork can book their seats online without any difficulty and they can choose their own seat as per their needs.
Bus is another very convenient mode of transportation available in the city of Cork which both the tourists and the local people can choose so as to reach their respective destinations. The roads of the city Cork are very nicely maintained and are in very good shape which makes this mode of transportation very effective. There are various bus agencies present in the city of Cork, names of some of the bus stations which are present in this city are mentioned below
- Cork Bus Station
- Parnell place bus station
The city of Cork has a good network of railways, the railway network connects the city of Cork with other urban areas and regions of the country Ireland. People can book train tickets very conveniently online in Cork and they can choose their seats as per their convenience and the ticket prices are also very cheap. The city of Cork has various railway stations, names of some of the are mentioned below
- Cork Kent
Hitchhiking is only practiced in the city of Cork if there is any kind of emergency situation, local people of Cork are very helpful towards their fellow residents to help them in any kind of emergency situation. Although people are very afraid to practice hitchhiking in Cork as there were so many cases of robbery, it is extremely important for the local people of this city to choose people very wisely for hitchhiking in Cork.
Other than buses and trains other very convenient modes of transportation which people can choose in the city of Cork if they do not want to travel in buses and trains are taxis. There are various taxi hiring companies which are available in the city of Cork which provide their taxis to the passengers at very affordable rates. This mode of transportation is the most costly mode of transportation which is available in the city of Cork so not everyone can afford to travel in it. Various bike renting companies are also available in Cork for the people who love to go on bike rides.
There are so many modes of transportation which are available for the people to travel in the city of Cork from one place to another. Tourists should opt for public buses or taxis as they are not aware of the routes of the city Cork as these two modes of transportation would be ideal for them. The city of Cork is just so perfect for the tourists to explore as it has so many wonderful places where they can visit and they can move around in this city very conveniently.
Going on a walk will definitely help the tourists when they are on a trip to the city of Cork to explore the places which are near to their accommodation, this will enhance the experience of their trip as they will get to know more such places which they can visit in the city Cork. Going on a walk is also very beneficial for health and the local people of the city Cork love to go on a walk everyday, there are various city parks in Cork where they like to go on a walk.
Tourists have the facility to take a bicycle on rent in the city of Cork, there are various agencies in the city Cork which provide their bicycles on rent to the interested people. Some city parks of the city Cork have cycling tracks where people can go on a bicycle ride, going on bicycle rides is very good for health as it is a very effective cardio exercise which keeps the heart stable and healthy. People should use bicycles in Cork if they have to go to any of the nearby places in place of vehicles so as to decrease the pollution rates.
Electric vehicles have so many benefits over vehicles which run on fossil fuels as such vehicles do not cause any kinds of pollution and are very good for the environment. The use of electric vehicles have not yet been started in the city of Cork but in the near future the use of these vehicles will definitely increase. In the city of Cork Electric vehicles will soon replace the vehicles which run on fossil fuels as they are extremely harmful for the environment and cause a lot of pollution.
The public buses present in this city of Cork are considered to be the lifeline of transportation as daily thousands of people travel through them and reach their respective destinations. For every route there is a different bus and these public buses cover almost the whole city of Cork. These public buses are always very punctual and they are always on time and the passengers don't need to wait for so long for these public buses in Cork.
Tram, Train and Subway
The city of Cork had trams earlier but later they were removed by the government of this city due to the invention of fuel vehicles. Train transportation is available in the city of Cork and daily so many people travel through these trains as they are very affordable. People can also hire a bike if they are aware of all the routes of the city Cork, while tourists can hire taxis as they are unaware of the routes of this city.
Sustainable shopping is becoming popular in the city of Cork and is a very effective measure which is contributing a lot towards the welfare of the environment. The use of sustainably derived products has increased at a very quick pace as these products are not only good for the environment but are also very safe for the use of humans. The city of Cork there are various sustainable shops from where people can purchase these products, names of some of these shops are mentioned below
- Down2Earth Materials
In the city of Cork there are various food markets from where the local people of this city purchase food commodities. The food markets present in Cork provide heavy discounts so as to attract customers and keep them engaged, the people of the city Cork can very easily reach any of the food markets through public transportation. Names of some of the food markets of the city Cork are mentioned below
- The English Market
- Douglas Farmers Market
There are various flea markets which are present in the city of Cork, the local residents of Cork love to purchase commodities from these flea markets. The prices of the commodities which are available for sale here are very cheap and affordable and every customer and afford to purchase from these flea markets, food stalls are also available in the flea markets of the city Cork where people can taste the street food of their choice.
Second Hand Stores
The city of Cork has so many second hand stores and their numbers are increasing day by day as people purchasing second hand commodities are increasing. Most of the day to day machineries, tools, clothes etc are available for sale over these second hand stores, names of some of the second hand stores which are present in the city of Cork are mentioned below
- Billys Secondhand store
- Enable Ireland Charity Shop
The use of clothes which are made up or derived from eco-friendly substances or materials have increased rapidly in the recent times, these products are completely free from any of the harmful chemical substances which not only harm the environment but also harm the human beings who use them regularly. The use of eco-friendly clothes or simply eco-fashion should definitely be promoted as they are capable of decreasing the rates of environmental degradation to a lot of extent. The local people of the city Cork have also started using the clothes which are derived from eco-friendly substances and they are finding it very comfortable and good to use.
In the city of Cork there are several companies and agencies which have all the enhanced techniques and all the required technologies which are required for recycling substances. Recycling is a very challenging method to perform and also very difficult process to execute as it requires a lot of precision so the people who have a good knowledge about the process of recycling should only perform this process. Although the city of Cork needs to work more in the field of recycling as they are still lacking behind and they have to include some modern machineries.
The government of the city Cork is opting so many measures so that they can easily manage the waste substances produced in this city. There are various agencies and companies which are present in the city of Cork which are assigned by the government of this city so as to manage every kind of waste in this city. These agencies are trying their level best to dispose every kind of waste which is developing in the city of Cork, they are also asking the local people to follow the correct methods of disposal and making them aware.
Work and Study Abroad
In the city of Cork there is a lot of shortage of job opportunities for the local people of this city and they have to work extremely hard so as to get a decent job in this city.
The students who are studying in the universities which are present in the city get good chances of settling abroad, although settling in abroad requires a lot of money so it is difficult for most of the students of the city Cork who don't have money to settle abroad.
The Universities which are present in the city of Cork carry exchange programs every year for the students of other regions and cities of the country Ireland in which they get a chance to enroll themselves into any of the universities of this city. Students who don't have a good budget can study in the universities of the city Cork, students can study in way lesser fees than any other universities in Cork. The education system of the Universities of the city Cork is really good and students will definitely get a good placement after the completion of their course.
The au pair companies and agencies have helped so many people to provide them with jobs and increase the employment rate in the city of Cork. In the city of Cork there are so many au pair agencies and companies which provide jobs to so many deserving people so as to help them in fulfilling their day to day needs. Although the wages in these jobs are not so high and people of Cork have to do some other work also so that they can make their living properly.
Volunteering is considered to be one of the best practices which helps the candidates to get a decent job in the city of Cork, the candidates or freshers of the city Cork also do volunteering to get a job and so many candidates succeeded in this also. Volunteering requires a lot of hard work and dedication when you are in the city of Cork and one has to have a lot of patience to practice it as the candidates are required to face each and every situation very calmly.