Eco-friendly travel guide to Ethiopia advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Ethiopia, Africa.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Bus connections: 5 / 5
- Train connections: 4 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 4.5/ 5
- National parks: 5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4 / 5
- Safety: 4/ 5
- Accommodation: US$20 - $70
- Budget per day: US$30 - $100
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
It is usually a huge feat when someone decides to leave their country and visit another country, probably a place they have never been. It could either be for business or pleasure, but we see it happening always.
We also do not think that it is out of place when people decide to visit Ethiopia. After all, it has a vast and interesting culture that piques the curiosity of anyone. You also get to enjoy local delicacies and learn from the locals.
One can say that visiting Ethiopia is an encompassing trip. It would help if you are friendly and have an open mind when visiting this country.
Understandably, some things may differ from your home country, but you will have a swell time if you open yourself.
Being a tourist in today's world comes with its own set of responsibilities and obligations. The change climate of the planet urges us to be more responsible and take accountability for our actions and also study the impact we have on the environment. One must travel in an eco friendly way and ensure that the local citizens or the natural surroundings are not affected. These are some of the most crucial tips that vacationers must follow to travel responsibly.
While exploring different places and the general idea of tourism is great, it is also harmful for the environment because of the way tourists travel today. It is of utmost importance to be a responsible traveller especially when we are at the verge of a climate disaster.
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience includes discovering every nook and cranny of the country. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote sustainable living as much as possible in the country to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially country parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the country that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the country. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards the country to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the country, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the country. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the country, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
What are your concerns when traveling to a new place? For some people, it is the air quality, and they wish to know the causes of air pollution in that area to avoid them.
Ethiopia is a fast-developing country in Africa, and they are always on the grind to ensure that the country is presented as conducive to any foreigner. Thus, we cannot say that there are many causes of air pollution.
The country’s air quality is considerably high, so you should not have any worries as you would have a comfortable stay.
It gets overbearing when you have to think about avoiding certain places or factors. Thankfully, you do not need such worries whenever you visit Ethiopia. Thus, one can say that it is a safe space.
Respect the Culture
You should know that you would meet diverse individuals in Ethiopia, so you should always be ready to make compromises. It is a free country where people can practice any religion they desire. Thus, it would be best if you are tolerant. Else, you will not survive in the country.
The people of Ethiopia believe that everyone has a right to their choice. If you are an intolerant person, you need to change or do not visit Ethiopia.
It will also come in handy if you show interest in their traditions and culture as these are what would keep you busy while in the country. There are usually many things to do, but the locals would only involve you when they see that you are showing interest in them.
Top 10 Places to Visit
If you are curious about the top attractions in Ethiopia, here are some of them:
- Blue Nile Falls: The falls are about 52 meters high, so it is possible to see them and experience their beauty when you fly over them. It is one of Ethiopia’s top attractions, and people say that it is wrong to end your holiday in the country without visiting it. The experience at this place is usually heartwarming, and it also has trails in case you wish to hike.
- 'Erta Ale': If you are looking to visit an active volcano, look no further as this is the place for you. Those who love to explore do not mind visiting this place, especially as it is a sight for the eyes. It also adds to the memories you make before leaving the country.
- Ras Dashen (Amhara Region): It is the highest mountain in Ethiopia and the tenth-highest in Africa. The view from this mountain is always an uplifting sight, and we advise that every foreign should visit it before leaving. You can also take amazing pictures from this mountain.
- Mount Entoto (Addis Ababa): It is the highest peak in the Entoto Mountains, giving you a view of the capital city. You will also see churches on this peak, and many features about them catch the eyes.
- Fasil Ghebbi (Gondar): Interestingly, this is one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and it was inscribed in 1979. It is an old fortress in the country, but it is still well-maintained, so you can take a tour. Typically, it would be best to have a tour guide to help with all the necessary explanations.
- Dallo (Afar Region): We doubt you have ever seen anything as colorful as this cinder cone volcano. It has the ability to always leave people in awe, and it would be wrong to visit it without a camera. It is easy to get lost when you stray from your tour guide or group at this place, so you should always stick together. We know that you would not regret visiting this place.
- Mercato Market (Addis Ababa): If you want to be a responsible foreigner while in Ethiopia, it is best to visit this market. They sell almost everything, so we doubt you would not find whatever you need. It is one of the top markets in the country and is located in the capital city.
- Holqa Soof Umar (Sof Omar Cave): What do you think about exploring an underground cave? If you do not mind, there is no reason not to visit this place when in Ethiopia. After all, it is the longest cave in Africa. Some people may choose to explore it with a boat, while others may choose otherwise. It is always worth the experience.
- Lake Awasa (Sidama Region): It is a rift valley lake in the country and studied by most scientists. People love to explore and relax at this lake. You can also meet many people here, and we are sure that you will have a swell time.
- Harenna Forest (Oromia Region): People say that it is one of Ethiopia’s few remaining forests. Not everyone would be up to exploring a forest, but it may be your choice. Thus, this is one of the top attractions in the country.
What do you do when you visit a new place? Do you remain indoors all through focusing on work, or you make time to explore? The perfect option would be to explore, and it is what most foreigners do. Thus, we know that you would need an extensive list of places to explore in Ethiopia.
We can assure you that you cannot have a boring time in Ethiopia if you choose to explore. It is not wrong to say that it is a bubbly region, irrespective of whatever region you stay in.
Typically, some people might feel that staying in the capital would be the best, but we can assure you that anywhere you stay would not be an issue. Thus, ensure that you are up for exploration whenever you visit Ethiopia.
Some of the city parks in Ethiopia are:
- Ethiopia-Cuba Friendship Memorial Park (Addis Ababa): It is one of the city parks in Ethiopia’s capital city. This place’s scenery is beautiful with the names of Cuban soldiers who died during the Mengistu period, which is why it is called a memorial park. People go there to relax and have a swell time.
- ጂንካ አደባባይ (Jinka): You will not regret visiting this place as it differs from other regular parks. However, it has unique and outstanding features that make it unforgettable.
- Afencho Ber Park (Addis Ababa): It comes in handy that this place is in the city’s heart, so it is easily accessible. If you want to have alone time, it is one of the best parks to visit.
Some of the national parks in Ethiopia are:
- 'Suba Menagesha Park' (Addis Ababa): The sight of this place is always superb to the eyes as you get to experience nature uniquely. If you love hiking, visiting this park would also come in handy as there are trails to explore. It is one of Ethiopia’s top attractions.
- Kafta Sheraro National Park (Western Tigray Region): It is situated on the Ethiopian and Eritrea border. You will see an array of wildlife when you visit this park. The staff at this place are always handy as they ensure that you get a full feel of the park. It would help if you do not hesitate to visit this place as you would always get a sense of satisfaction. Bird watching is an activity that people do at this place.
If your ideal way of exploring is to visit a beach, you can be assured that you will see them as the country does not lack water bodies. Apart from beaches, you can also see lakes, and you should know that many people hang out at these places, so it will be fun.
here are some of the beaches in Ethiopia:
- Sabana Beach Resort (Langano Lake): Since it is a proper resort, you get to enjoy other amenities apart from the beach. The atmosphere is conducive as the place is always clean, and you get to connect with new people. You will see different varieties of birds at this place, and we know that you will learn more about them. The housing facilities are also in a top-notch state.
Some of the landmarks in Ethiopia are:
- Ezana Stone (Aksum): Some people say that it is the most important monument to see when you are in this city. You will get many recommendations to visit this place, and we know that it is a sight that is hard to miss. It has inscriptions in different languages, including Greek. It is not wrong to say that it is the Ethiopian equivalent of the Rosetta Stone. We know that archaeological enthusiasts would love visiting this place.
- Meskel Square (Addis Ababa): You should know that the locals of Ethiopia are lovers of fun, so it is not out of place to see them having celebrations, and this place is where all the fun happens. There is no how you can be in the city without knowing this place.
Some of the museums in Ethiopia are:
- Zoma Museum (Addis Ababa): You cannot visit this place without learning something new. It has a café within where people can relax. The environment is always conducive, so it is not surprising that some people visit this museum numerous times before leaving the city. The garden is an absolute delight, and you will also have fun with the animals.
- The Zoological Natural History Museum (Addis Ababa): This museum comes in handy for studies since it is within a university. It is a protection center for wild animals, so you will see different species. If you are a lover of animals, this is one of the best places to visit in Ethiopia, and you will not have any regrets. It is always neat and organized, prompting regular visits from people.
It is unheard of that anyone would visit a place and not eat their traditional local meals. After all, foreigners are known for their curiosity, and it also pans out when it comes to food. Luckily, there are many Ethiopian meals to enjoy in the country.
Shiro be Kibbe is an Ethiopian variety of legume stew, and you will see that people eat it with almost anything. It is one of the commonest local meals you can get in the country. You can eat it in any Ethiopian city, and we know that it would leave your taste buds craving for more.
If you are a fan of beef, you should also try eating Kitfo before leaving the country. It is specially prepared with some of the local spices that make it tasty. Once foreigners arrive in a new country and learn about their local meals, it is common for them to be curious about the traditional local restaurants as they believe it is the best place to eat such meals.
We are not saying that foreigners cannot learn how to cook local meals, but it is more ideal for the locals to be professionals. Thus, we get questions about traditional local restaurants in Ethiopia.
We can assure you that you can see these restaurants in all Ethiopian cities, so you do not need to be in a specific city before enjoying the local meals. These traditional restaurants are everywhere, so you can get local meals and eat to your satisfaction.
We know that it is not everywhere who shares the same eating preference, so there are vegans. This category of people has a special way of preparing their meals, and it is only right that countries should have vegetarian restaurants that attend to their preference.
If you are a vegan visiting Ethiopia, you do not need to worry about different vegetarian restaurants. Although we cannot say that you would see such restaurants in all the Ethiopian cities, we know that you would see many of them in the capital city.
These restaurants aim to ensure that vegans are not stranded when it comes to food and eating while in Ethiopia. They strive to ensure that vegetarians would also get a taste of their traditional local meals.
It will be wrong to talk about local meals without mentioning the available street foods in Ethiopia. It is a major aspect of food and eating, and our list would be incomplete without it.
If you are wondering what street food means, allow us to explain it to you. These are foods that you can get from roadside vendors as they do not take much preparation time.
In Ethiopia, one of the commonest street foods you can get is the injera bread. It is best served hot, and we know that you will enjoy eating it.
You will also notice that the locals love groundnut soup, so it is also on the list of available street food. We would advise that you try it before leaving the country.
It is not out of place for foreigners to be curious about the different available drinks in a country. If you are traveling to Ethiopia, allow us to highlight them for you.
Interestingly, you can get both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks in the country. You will realize that most of the locals are coffee lovers, so it is one of the commonest drinks you can get in the country.
You can also get different varieties of juice in Ethiopia. We know that this will come in handy for those who have a sweet tooth.
Tej is one of the alcoholic options in the country, and there are more. You should know that Ethiopia does not slack when it concerns drinks, so you are well covered in that aspect.
Knowing the state of tap water in any country before visiting is always essential to avoid mistakes. You know that your stay in the country will be a mess if you get ill from drinking contaminated water. Thus, you should know if the tap water is portable or not so that you can know if you will be staying away from it.
People are advised to stay away from drinking tap water in Ethiopia as it is not clean, making it bad for health. One may begin to wonder about the water a person can drink in the country.
You will see that people sell bottled water, so it is your best option. You can also decide to filter your water. Most places in the country also have this as an option.
There are different activities you can do in a country, so you do not need to limit yourself. We know that fishing and kayaking does not always sit at the top of mind when people think of what to do in a new place. However, it would help if you have them in mind as they can keep you busy and you will have a swell time.
Can one engage in fishing and kayaking in Ethiopia? This is a question we get regularly, and we say that it is possible. After all, the country has waterbodies, so it is out of place to think that people cannot engage in these activities.
Typically, people say that these activities assist in bonding. If you want to have a stronger relationship with the locals, you should engage in them.
It could be that you are scared of water, so you cannot engage in activities that involve waterbodies. If that is the case, allow us to introduce you to yoga. It is an alternative when it concerns activities you can do in a new country.
Understandably, not every country has accepted the idea of yoga. However, it is acceptable in Ethiopia, so you should not have any worries. You will see different yoga studios around the country, letting you know that the locals are active in this activity.
Some people want to know if yoga also helps in bonding, and the answer is yes. You get to make new friends when you go to the yoga studio, and you can also learn new yoga tricks from them.
We see that some people engage in the mistake of leaving their homes for a new place without making adequate preparation for accommodation. We do not know what you think would happen, but there are high chances of being stranded, which could have a dent in your holiday plans.
The best thing any foreigner should do before traveling is to research the different accommodation options in their destination country. By doing this, you are weighing the different options against your accommodation budget so that you can know if you need to top-up your budget or not. It would be out of place to go there with a low accommodation budget. Thus, we advise foreigners to research adequately so that they can easily secure accommodation. Always remember that it is a new terrain, so you need to avoid all stress factors.
We are sure that you must have heard about green hotels before. If you have not and do not understand the concept around such hotels, allow us to explain it to you.
A green hotel is a sustainable hotel. If you are big on protecting the ecosystem, it is one of the best places to stay in any country. Since there are facilities to protect against damaging the environment, you know that you will have a comfortable stay.
We cannot start highlighting the different green hotels in Ethiopia, as there are many. However, most cities in the country have a green hotel, so it would not be stressful locating one.
The prices differ based on the city and other factors. Thus, we cannot generalize, but you should research before choosing.
Hostels and Guest Houses
You can also stay in a hostel or guesthouse when in Ethiopia. Staying in a hostel comes in handy for those travelling in a group and do not want to stay in separate rooms. You will see that there are bunk beds in some of the hostels, so you can stay together.
If you decide to stay in a guest house or hostel, some of them have kitchens where you can prepare your meals. There is a homey feeling when staying in either of these options, and the owners are usually welcoming.
Some people say that the prices of these options are usually lower, but we cannot generalize. However, we know that it is a viable option when searching for where to stay in Ethiopia.
Some people say that if you want to stay in a luxurious option, you should consider staying in an apartment in any country. Typically, most apartments are serviced, so you will not have any stress when you lodge in one.
There are many apartments in Ethiopia, and we are sure that you would see one in any city you reside in. However, you should know that the price of staying in an apartment would be higher than staying in other accommodation options. Since they have many amenities in place for a luxurious stay, it only makes sense that they will be more expensive.
If you have a high accommodation budget or do not mind paying a high amount for accommodation, you should consider staying in an apartment.
Suppose you do not have a high budget for accommodation. In such a case, you would be looking for a cheap accommodation option, and we know that you would embrace any option that entails you do not have to pay for accommodation.
Interestingly, you can get such an option in Ethiopia, and it is called Couchsurfing. It is a system that people are beginning to embrace worldwide.
Typically, each country would have a Couchsurfing website where people can surf for accommodation. The idea is that a local is willing to play host to foreigners. Some people do not like this idea because it means that they have to cohabit with a stranger. However, for those who are willing to compromise, they do not mind the Couchsurfing system.
Some people love to go camping, and it is one of the reasons why they visit countries. If you visit Ethiopia because you wish to camp somewhere, you are in luck as there are many conducive campsites in the country.
You can either go camping alone or in a group. However, it is usually boring when you go alone, so it is best when you are in the company of others.
You get to play games and do other activities that keep you busy, and you will see that it is easy to lose track of time when you are having fun.
Some people are scared of camping, but there is no reason to be. After all, it helps you bond and know more about your environment.
- Addis Ababa – capital of Ethiopia and one of the biggest shopping cities in Africa
- Adama (also known as Nazret or Nazareth) – a popular weekend destination near Addis
- Axum (Aksum) – home of ancient tombs and stelae fields, in the far north near Eritrea
- Bahir Dar – the monasteries on the islands of Lake Tana and close to the beautiful Blue Nile Falls
- Dire Dawa – the second largest city; in the east
- Gondar – some of East Africa's only castles
- Harar – ancient walled city near Dire Dawa
- Lalibela – home to 11 astonishing rock-hewn churches
- Mekele – a town in the Tigrayan Highlands in the north
Getting There and Moving Around
You should know that deciding to travel to a new place is only the first step when it concerns traveling as there are other aspects you also need to analyze and ensure that they are in place, else you will encounter difficulties.
Yes, you want to travel to Ethiopia. But do you know how to get there? Imagine not researching the means of reaching Ethiopia and use something that takes you to the wrong location. Obviously, it will spoil your holiday plans, and this is not the plan.
The right thing is to ask questions and get the correct means of movement, not to be stressed. To have a straightforward movement, you must know the right directions. Ensure that you know the directions before leaving your home.
Another factor you need to consider when you travel to a new place is how to move around as it is also necessary for all foreigners. You need to know the different available means of transportation as it helps you get from one place to the other.
Some people may be scared of some of the available means, so you need to know all of them to make a choice. It could also be that some are more expensive than others, so you need to compare with your transport budget so that you can pick a feasible means.
It is easy to get confused about how the various means of transport operates, and this is where the locals come in handy as they always have the appropriate information.
One of the ways of moving around in Ethiopia is to walk. Some people say that it is their preferred means as it helps them to have a better feel of their environment.
We agree that walking helps to calm the mind, and you get to cover distances at your pace. However, some people fear to walk around in a new place because of the fear of being robbed.
Allow us to tell you that Ethiopia’s crime rate is low, so you should not worry. These people are usually welcoming to foreigners, so you can walk around without any fear. However, if you still have doubts, you can avoid walking alone at night as a precautionary method.
While walking around in the country, you will get salutations from the locals.
You can also use a bicycle to move around in Ethiopia. However, it is dependent on your location.
You will see the locals using this means, and it could be that you want to do the same. If this is your wish, you can rent a bicycle from any rental shop in the Ethiopian cities.
Using a bicycle is dependent on the road, which is why we say that it depends on your location. If you stay in an area with smooth roads, you do not have any issue with using a bicycle. However, if you are staying in a place where stones are on the roads, you know that it will be difficult to use a bicycle.
Thus, it would be best if you analyze the roads before deciding to use a bicycle.
Interestingly, you can also use a scooter to move around in Ethiopia. One can say that scooters are the advanced versions of bicycles. If you plan to get a scooter in Ethiopia, you should know that it is no difference from a bicycle.
The only difference in using a scooter is that it can navigate some of the roads you cannot pass with a bicycle. However, some roads would be a limitation.
You can rent a scooter the same way you would rent a bicycle. We always tell people to ensure that they have safety gear when using a scooter. The safety gears should include a helmet and shin guards.
If you are not used to the Ethiopian roads, you should not use a scooter.
It is not arguable that using air is the fastest means of transportation. Thus, it should also not be surprising that many people would prefer to use this method. The idea is to get to their destination quickly, and using air makes this possible.
You cannot use air to a country without an airport, but we doubt that any country is without a functional airport. There are many airports within Ethiopia, but the airport at Addis Ababa receives international flights.
If you are within Africa, it is not a hassle getting a direct flight to Ethiopia.
You should know that other airports in Ethiopia operate domestically, so you can use a flight to move between cities. Some people would prefer to do this as it means that they can explore more areas during their stay in the country.
You can also get an amazing view of some of the tourist attractions when you fly over them. Some people may not get the opportunity of using a plane to Ethiopia, especially those who cannot get a direct flight. This affects those who are coming from outside of Africa.
In such a case, you get to find how to reach a country within Africa to get a direct flight to Ethiopia. Using air comes in handy to many people, so do not forget about this transportation when it concerns Ethiopia.
Do you wish to reach Ethiopia by bus? We cannot say that this is not possible, but it does not always happen.
In the case of a flight, you can get a direct flight when you are within Africa. It only applies to a bus when you are in a country that shares a border with Ethiopia.
Typically, you can get a bus from that country that takes you to the border. From there, you begin another trip into the country. It can be fun to use a bus, but it also gets tiring for some people due to the time spent on the way. If you are not used to using the road to travel, it can be an exciting and unforgettable experience that you do not want to miss.
You can also use a bus to move around in Ethiopia. People say that it is the cheapest means of moving around. After all, you are paying for the movement and do not need to rent it.
However, there are some adjustments you need to undergo when using a bus to move around in Ethiopia. You should know that Ethiopians do not like to open the windows of a car, so it gets stuffy. If this is something you can deal with, you have an issue using a public bus.
These buses operate between cities, and it is compulsory that everyone must be seated. If you are confused about how the payment and boarding system works, you should ask a local as they would always have the necessary information.
We get questions from different people, asking if it is possible to reach Ethiopia with a train. While this idea may be feasible in some countries, it does not happen in Ethiopia as it does not share railway connections with other countries.
It is only when there is an interlinking railway connection that it is thinkable to travel using a train. If you can remember, when you use a bus to Ethiopia, it stops you at the border. There is no country sharing a railway connection with Ethiopia that allows you use a train.
We know that this comes as good news for some people as they would not like to spend long hours traveling. After all, using a train is the slowest means of transportation.
Although there are no interlinking railway connections and people cannot get into Ethiopia using a train, there is a railway connection within the country. Thus, it is safe to say that using a train is a means of moving around in Ethiopia.
This innovation started in 2016 and has been active since then. If you do not feel like using the other available means of movement, you can use a train.
Understandably, it would be slower getting to your location. However, it helps to eliminate the idea of traffic if you are using a public bus. You also get to admire the scenery as the slowness gives you the admire to appreciate nature.
Using a train has its ups and downs, but it usually comes in handy.
Hitchhiking is a means of getting a free ride in different countries, and Ethiopia is not an exception. Some factors play a role in determining the feasibility of hitchhiking, including safety.
Since Ethiopia has a low crime rate, you should not worry when it concerns getting a free ride. Also, since the people are friendly and open to foreigners, they will stop to give you a free ride.
All you have to do is make gestures with your hands flagging down the vehicles, and we are sure that a driver will stop. You then discuss with the driver, and the person would hopefully be generous to give a free ride.
This does not work in every country, but it happens in Ethiopia.
There are also questions on whether a person can use a ship to get into Ethiopia. You should know that Ethiopia is a landlocked country, so it is not feasible.
Typically, people ship through Djibouti when it concerns shipping. It is not that there are no water bodies in Ethiopia, but it is not possible to use a ship in reaching the country.
Understandably, this is the preferred means of traveling for some people, but sadly, they will be disappointed and have to choose another means of movement that would take them to the country.
To be a responsible traveler, you should engage in sustainable shopping, which is how you patronize the local vendors. When you see things made locally, you should buy them.
Understandably, you may not be used to some of these items. However, it would help if you ask questions to know their uses. If it is beneficial to you, it is not out of place to buy it. At least, you would have a reminder of the country when you leave.
The vendors are always happy when foreigners buy their goods as it means that they are appreciated.
You can engage in sustainable shopping by visiting the food markets in the country. It comes in handy that Ethiopia does not lack food markets, so you can see them in any city you are residing in.
If you have been wondering where to buy those special local spices, it is at the food market. Even if you do not know the name of the spices or food ingredient, they will give their best recommendation once you describe the food to the local vendors. Visiting the food markets in Ethiopia is usually worth the experience.
If you did not know, visiting and shopping at second-hand stores also classifies as a means of sustainable shopping. It does not make sense to throw away things that can be reused, springing the idea of second-hand stores.
You get to see an array of items at a second-hand store, and some people say that it is their best bet to get the latest gadgets at a lower price.
Shopping at a second-hand store comes in handy since the prices are usually lower, but that does not limit the quality of the items you are getting.
When discussing sustainability and sustainable shopping, it will be wrong not to mention eco-fashion as it is an important aspect that cannot be ignored. The idea is to use recyclable items when it concerns making clothes. Some people may feel that this is not feasible, but it happens, birthing the idea of eco-fashion.
It could be that this concept is not popular in your home town, but it happens in Ethiopia, and you should key into it. You will realize that eco-fashion clothes are fashionable, and we are sure that one of them would catch your eyes.
Recycling occurs in Ethiopia, and one of its manifestations is in the concept of eco-fashion. Apart from that, you will also see that the locals are always encouraged to deposit recyclable items.
To make the process more exciting, there is also the concept of trash for money. People get to turn in their recyclable items and get paid for them. With such a concept, you are sure that people will always key to recycling.
As a foreigner in Ethiopia, the right thing is to also join in recycling. If you do not know how to go about it, always ask question s.
If you carry out research, you will realize that Ethiopia does not joke about waste management. They strive to keep their environment clean always, which is a perk to its tourism sector.
When in the country, you should emulate what the others are doing if you do not want to get into trouble with the authorities. It would be best if you are efficient in contributing to waste management.
When there is an effective waste management system, the country is more conducive to stay in. this is what Ethiopia strives to achieve, and they have been doing an excellent job.
Work and Study Abroad
If you wish to study in Ethiopia, it will interest you to know that you can get part-time jobs. We know that many people have this as a factor to consider before studying in any country.
Ethiopia provides the opportunity for students to work to feel the corporate environment from an early stage, preparing them for what is ahead.
It is left to you to know how to effectively combine working and studying so that you do not slack in any area. We hope that you can find common ground.
It could be that you are an undergraduate who has been looking for ways to school in Ethiopia. We do not know why you love the country, but allow us to tell you that you can get your wishes if you go through an exchange program.
Most schools in Ethiopia run a global exchange program, with the determinant being your current school. However, if your current school collaborates with any of the Ethiopian schools, it would be an easy feat.
Thus, you do not need to crack your head anymore nor forfeit any schooling year.
The au pair system is almost similar to the Couchsurfing system because locals post job opportunities on the au pair website.
Since you are new to the country, we know that you might not understand how things operate, but you need a job.
Instead of aimlessly walking around, you can check the au pair website for vacancies. Most of these jobs are filler jobs that let you have something doping while you await bigger opportunities. No other system connects employers and employees that the au pair system.
As a volunteer, you are involved in different economic sectors, playing a role to ensure that it gets better. It could be the healthcare system, working, and building to ensure that the locals get the best.
You should know that being a volunteer is not an easy job, but your satisfaction comes from the impact you make. Thus, we encourage people always to take on volunteering jobs in countries.
Being a volunteer could be your ticket into entering Ethiopia. The key to excelling is to ensure that you are diligent in anything you do.