Eco-friendly travel guide to Ipoh advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Ipoh, Malaysia.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 2 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$50 - $200
- Budget per day: US$250 - $400
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Ipoh is a beautiful city in Malaysia and is very well known around the world for being the capital city of Perak State. This city is one of the oldest cities in the country and home to many cultures including Buddhist, Chinese, Islam, Hinduism, Christianity, and others. The city is very popular for having natural attractions, foods, architecture, temples, canvas, and other things. Here are some of the things that you need to do in the city as an eco-friendly traveler.
- Take the help of the local transportations to move around the city to save money and help the local people of this city
- Along with international shops, make sure to buy things from local shops too, it will support the shops to provide more to their customers
- Enjoy your stay at green hotels to enjoy the best service and help the environment of the city
- Along with restaurants, eat foods from the street food stalls to help the local people who are dependent on tourism
- There are many city parks where you can visit and spend time to get fresh air and feel nature
- While enjoying the city makes sure to purchase items and use services from the local people
Air Quality and Pollution
The overall air quality of Ipoh city is very good and you do not have to worry about any breathing problem unless you have certain health conditions. According to test reports, the Air Quality Index (AQI) is around 39, which is considered to be good. The air is not very polluted and you will be fine in the city even after staying for a long time.
Respect the Culture
Ipoh is very well known all around the world for being a very good travel destination. For the past few years, the number of travelers has increased very much in the city. A very crucial reason for this is the cultural diversity of this place. You will get to see many different cultures in this city from Islam to Christian. Along with cultures, the traditions of this city makes it more attractive.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Ipoh is the best city in Malaysia, where people from different parts of the globe love to visit. After visiting here, you will also get to experience some of the fascinating places.
- Perak Cave Temple- It is a temple, but people in the city call it a cave where you can easily get lost. Go deeper, and you would feel the darkness of this cave in a brief manner.
- Sam Pong Toh- Do not go by its Chinese name because it is a Buddhist temple where you can worship Lord Buddha. And another best thing about it is that whoever comes here fulfills all their wishes very soon.
- Bukit Kledang- If you love hiking and mountaineering activities, then you have to visit here. Just try it out and see how widely you can explore the mountain.
- Gerbang Malam- After finishing these three places, take a break at this shopping center and buy the best products. The center ranges from the best stalls and finishes by fulfilling all your requirements.
- St Michael's- One of the best churches where most of the people visits and makes all their dreams come true. Visit here, pray for the best wishes, and you can also be among the ones.
- Papan recreational Forest reserve- This place does not have any special reviews or ratings, but you have to give it at least a try. Once you come here, then you will get to know about the activities of nature in a different form.
- Mirror lake- Today, it is the best lake in Ipoh, which reflects the beauty of nature. Explore this lake, and you would feel like capturing the best memories of your life.
- Paloh Khoo- In this temple, you can visit during the evening and get absorbed into its prayers. No one misses it because it is an opportunity that might not come again and again.
- Seen Hock Yeen- People often come here and find the best Buddhist worshippers and monks. They will explain to you about the temple and the significance behind building it.
- Jln Masjid- A mosque that is visited by all the Indians who stay in Malaysia. People say a lot of rumors about it, but you have to try it and experience yourself.
Now, if you want to explore the city, then you also have to visit some of the best museums and city parks. Make a fair attempt, and you will never regret or have any kind of dissatisfaction.
- Taman Rekreasi- One of the finest recreational parks where you can also make a family picnic. This way, everyone will enjoy it and you will have some lovely moments.
- Gunung- Your children would love this park as the amazing sea saws and many other recreational attractions attract them fully. Bring them over here, and they will have the best fun of their life.
- Kledang Saidong- This place tells you the best things about nature and its activities in full detail. If you miss it, then you would curse yourself throughout life.
- Lost World- You have to visit this place during the night time and feel the best adventure. It is not only enjoyed by the kids, but the adults also enjoy it.
If you are looking for beaches in Ipoh then you would never find them. But do not worry because they are situated in a district which is near to the city.
- Birch Memorial- A historic clock tower that entices the majority of the people, and they love it. And for this reason, only today it is regarded as the topmost city landmarks.
- Darul Ridzuan- There is not too much information about this museum, but it can give you a fair knowledge. In other words, it is a knowledge which will tell you about the history of Malaysia in full details.
- Lembaga- If you Google this museum, then you will see that it is spread all over the internet. It is because of some popular historical artifacts and the best artistic works of famous artists.
Eating is one of the mandatory things in your trip, which helps very much to understand the local tradition and culture. From different famous cuisines to popular street foods, the city offers a lot of options to the tourists. If you are a foodie, then this place is heaven for you with a wide collection of foods. The city contains vegetarian restaurants, low-cost restaurants to traditional ones, here are some details about them to help you choose.
Traditional Local Restaurants
If you want to try some traditional foods in Ipoh, then you do not have to find much. There are multiple restaurants that offer mouth-watering traditional dishes. Some of the best ones are given below.
- Ming Court Hong Kong Tim Sum - This is one of the legendary restaurants that offer many traditional dishes to customers including Woo Kok, and others.
- Ipoh Kong Heng Restaurant - This is one of the oldest restaurants in the city that is very well-known for having delicious popiah.
Vegetarian and Vegan
You do not have to worry much if you are vegetarian, there are plenty of options available for you in this city. Here are some of the most famous vegan restaurants of Ipoh that you need to visit.
- Krishna Bhawan Restaurants - One of the Indian veg restaurants in the city that is very well known for making delicious food is this restaurant. You will be able to reach this place by walking a few minutes from the railway station. Make sure to try the special foods such as Indian buffet, Dosai, Indian pancake, and others.
- Fung Lai Vegetarian - You will get some of the best Chinese veg foods in this restaurant along with a famous Buddhist buffet.
Ipoh is very popular for many food lovers for having different and famous street foods. There are some of the foods that you need to try in Ipoh city before you die. Some of the famous foods include Tau Fu Fah, Kai See Hor Fun, Aun Kheng Lim Salted Chicken, Yong Tau Fu, Blanched Baby Octopus, Wat Tan Hor, Golden Char Kuey Teow, Foh San Dim Sum, Lou Wong Bean Sprout Chicken, and others.
Apart from foods, you need to test the drinks of this city to get the full experience of the tradition. From water to alcohol, they have many different types of local customizations that will help you to get refreshed between witness famous tourist destinations. However, you need to know the different drinks that you need to try in the city before stepping in. Here are some details about the drinks that will help you with your tour.
According to multiple sources, the tap-water of Ipoh is safe to drink as the water is very well maintained and filtered. However, if you want to make sure that the water you drink is safe, then you can always boil the water and filter for further safety. Apart from the tap-water, you will also get bottled water in the city but most of them are very expensive. The estimated price of bottle water of 1.5 liters is around USD 0.48.
Are you worried about finding organic cafes in the city? Well, you do not need to worry anymore as there are many available that you can visit and have one of the best foods.
- Vegan Delights Cafe - One of the best organic cafes that you need to visit is this one. You will get both the Asian and Western dishes in this cafe without any onion and garlic. Foods are made using organic vegetables and one of the best ones in the city.
- Sin Meng Kee Products - Another place that is very popular with the local people is this cafe. You will get a variety of dishes in this restaurant cooked with organic vegetables.
Do you want to try some of the best alcohols and breweries in the city? Well, you do not have to look around much as there are many different options available from local to international.
- Healy Mac’s Irish Bar and Restaurant Ipoh - This is one of the most popular Irish bars in the city that also has a branch in Kuala Lumpur city. You will find a wide selection of beers from imported to local ones.
- Viking Village Baer of Music - You will be able to get different beers in this place along with the live music that will help you to enjoy your time. Beers, cocktails, and many other types of drinks are available in this place.
You can perform many different activities in the Ipoh city apart from enjoying the gardens, tourist attractions, and museums. There are many options available for travelers to take the full fun of their tour from indoor to outdoor activities. From fishing to hiking, you will get a long list of outdoor activities that are waiting for you. Apart from outdoor activities, take time for yourself between your busy schedule and go for a spa or yoga to get back the energy.
Yoga and Retreats
One of the best ways to escape from the crowd in this city is by trying yoga in the city. It helps to relax, get back the energy, be away from the crowd, and stay calm. As the local people are very health-oriented, you will be able to see many yoga and retreats in the city from cheap to expensive ones.
As Ipoh is very well known as a tourist destination, many hotels, and apartments have been expanding their business in the city. With the growing rate of travelers, from green hotels to renting services, you will get everything you need to stay in this city. You can choose any of the accommodation for you depending on your choice, from five-star hotels to cheap rooms, the city offers plenty of options. Here are some of the details about different accommodation options.
As an eco-friendly traveler, green hotels are the best choice for you to stay in the city for as long as you want, without polluting the environment. Staying in the green hotels is not only good for the city, but it also helps you to contribute towards nature and keep yourself safe and healthy. To avoid any complications, make sure to book the hotels using different booking services online before stepping in the city. It will help you to save money and time both.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Guesthouses and Hostels are also a very good option for tourists who want to have the best stay at a cheaper price. You can find many different guest houses for your stay from cheap to expensive ones. Different guest houses in this city offer various features like free spa, free wi-fi, free parking, and many more. Here are some of the best guest houses and hostels in the city.
- Sojourn Guest House
- White House IHome Ipoh
- Vloft Backpackers Hostel
- Homey Hostel
If you want something more flexible for your accommodation in Ipoh city, then renting an apartment is a very good choice for you. It helps to save a lot of money while staying comfortably as long as needed. Renting service helps you to find some of the best apartments in the city and save time searching manually. Make sure to take the help of these services and book an apartment before reaching the city.
Couchsurfing is very common in Ipoh, and many travelers choose it to stay in the city. Being a very well-known tourist destination, all of the different options are available here including Couchsurfing. There are many people in the city who want to host Couchsurfing, you just have to use the online services to find them. Compared to other cities in Malaysia, you will be able to get a lot of options for Couchsurfing.
Nothing is more adventurous than staying in a camp and feeling the nature in your trip. Many travelers choose camping as a mode of accommodation. It helps them to stay close to nature along with saving a lot of money. As the number of tourists is very high in this city, you will be able to find different camping sites with helpful features. Some of the best camping experiences you will get in these places.
- Glamping at Tambun Lost World
- Sufes Camping Sdn Bhd
- Leferg Adventure Camp and Resort
How to Get There
The mode of transportation for reaching Ipoh depends on where you are traveling from. You can use different modes of transportations to reach the city but the most used one is the airway. Most of the tourists who are traveling Ipoh outside the country use the airway to reach the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport. Apart from the air, you can also reach the city using trains, buses, hitchhiking, and many other methods.
As mentioned earlier, the air is one of the best ways to reach the Ipoh city and you will be able to reach the destination faster than any other mode of transportation. Compared to some of the modes, the fare of flight might be higher but it offers comfortability and very fast travel. The distance of Ipoh city is well connected with most of the countries and you will be able to catch many flights.
If you are traveling to Ipoh from different cities inside Malaysia, then you can use the buses. While the busway takes more time to reach the destination, it is one of the best ways to see the scenic beauty on the way. Also, compared to most of the transportation modes, the bus is way cheaper. There are many intercity buses that you will be able to take and go to the closest bus station of the city Terminal Amanjaya.
Apart from the airway, trains are also a very favorable option for many tourists who want to travel to different cities. This is one of the options that help you to get the best view outside the window and let you have the feeling of this place. You will be able to meet some local people and get close to the culture on the train. It takes more time to reach the city but you can get a train from different countries to start your days of adventure.
Being a famous tourist destination, many travelers have the option to use hitchhiking for getting into the city. While there are a few travelers who have experienced no luck in hitchhiking. Some people will say otherwise, and they have reached the city very well using this method of transportation. Many locals do not mind giving a lift to travelers on the way to help them out to reach the city.
There are other ways to reach the Ipoh city that are rarer than the others. Many people use 4 wheelers, 2 wheelers, and other types of car services to reach the city. It takes a lot of time but you will be able to have one of the best adventurous road trips of your life. There are options on the road to camp and spend a night or take a hotel, which helps the travelers to rest.
Without exploring the city, you will not be able to know much about the culture, traditions, local people, small attractions, and other things about the city. When it comes to moving around the city, many people prefer many different ways. Some people like to get a car, bicycle, buses, and others to ride around. Others just prefer walking down the streets and every lane to feel the markers and people.
Walking around the city helps you to explore different things and witness the culture up close. You will be able to get many different lanes and roads in the city that are very good to walk around and witness the foods, culture, and other things. Compared to other modes of transportations, you will be able to reach your destination faster as there are no signals in the road and many lanes are there where only walking is allowed like markers and narrow lanes.
You will be able to get a Bicycle on rent from different places in the city. There are some hotels also that offer cycle service to tourists for free to enjoy the city. Just like walking, you will be able to move faster in different places as you will be able to get different lanes for cyclists. There are no traffics that you will come across, and it is also very good for your health. One of the best ways to explore the city along with keeping yourself healthy.
Most of the travelers like to travel to different places in the city by renting or taking a cab. It might be an expensive way to move through the city but it is way faster on highways to move compared to all other modes of transportations. Also, electronic vehicles help travelers to move faster and they are eco-friendly. It will help the city to stay pollution-free, which is the responsibility of you as an eco-friendly traveler.
Public buses are always the best option to travel to a city and save money. Buses in Ipoh are no different and very convenient as well as a comfortable option for traveling. The name of the main bus terminal in the city is Medan Kidd Bus Station. You will be able to get buses frequently in the city and get to your destination faster with a cheap price.
Tram, Train and Subway
Railways are well connected in the city and go through popular destinations. It will help you to see all the beautiful places on your way and stop wherever you want. Many people prefer trains for traveling as there are no traffics or signals they need to worry about. The fare of trains is also pretty low and comes frequently to the stations. You will be able to get one very easily and get to your destination faster without any complications.
Many travelers like to do sustainable shopping when they are in the city. It helps them to keep the city safe by purchasing recycled products. You will be able to find many recycled shops in the city that are selling second-hand and eco-friendly products to the customers. As an eco-friendly tourist, make sure to buy these products to help the environment and the local people who are living a life based on tourism.
All the travelers who are food lovers get very attracted to food markets more than anything. Food markets are great to explore and know what are the different things that common people like to eat. You will be able to see many different ingredients and colorful vegetables in these markets. If you are hungry exploring the market, then you can also take a rest and have some food in the food stalls.
As mentioned earlier, the high number of tourists in this city makes it easier for you to find many flea markets and stores. Plenty of flea markets are scattered through the city that offers different recycled and high-quality products to customers. You can visit these flea markets and grab a souvenir for your loved ones or get a vintage collection that will help you to remember about this trip.
Second Hand Stores
From electrical to leather goods and clothes, everything is available in Ipoh city. You just need to know what are the places to get it to get your hands on them. From brand to local, you will get to see many different second-hand shops here. Here are some best places in Ipoh city where you can visit to get the best quality second-hand items.
- The PWW Shop
- Wan Mun
Eco-fashion is a new way to look stylish without polluting the environment. Many travelers prefer to buy eco-friendly fashion from the stores in their travel destinations. Finding eco-fashion stores in Ipoh city will not be very hard for you. From popular branded stores to local shops are available here to help you get eco-fashions.
- Levi’s Exclusive Store
- Boutique Longines
- Triumph Lady Care
Recycling is very crucial for every city and country to keep the environment safe. Ipoh has different initiatives ongoing to get rid of the plastic with the help of Sdn Bhd. Apart from plastics, city officials have taken care of waste very well to keep the city pollution-free. As an eco-friendly traveler, try to keep the city as clean as possible by dumping them in the specified dust bins.
Ipoh had many different systems that help to keep the city clean and free from all the wastes. From collecting the daily garbage from the households to Opoh Solid Waste Management (ISWM), they have many different services. Some of the popular waste cleaning and recycling services are Environman Recycled Trading, SSS Waste Disposal Sdn. Bhd, and others. Having these garbage collection services helps to reduce illegal dumpsters or landfills.
Work and Study Abroad
Many students visit this city to pursue their higher studies and the number of students has increased very much in the past few years. The institutes and colleges of this city offer many different degrees to international students. Students from different countries and cities are attracted to pursue these degrees at reasonable prices. Options like Au Pair, Exchange Student, and other things are also available in the city.
Exchange Students is a very good and popular thing in this city that helps international students to study in the best colleges. Some of the education institutes have started offering exchange students to their partners in different countries. Some of the common names are Wesley Methodist School, Universiti Teknologi Petronas, and others.
Au Pair is a great option for tourists to stay in the city like locals and help out the people. Not only that, but you also get food and money for this service which helps you to stay as long as you want comfortably with earning money. There are many people in Ipoh city who like to get an Au Pair to help them out.
Want to keep the city clean and good for tourists? Well, volunteering is the best option to do it. You will find many other tourists with you who are volunteering in the city. It will help you to learn their language and get close to the local people.