Eco-friendly travel guide to Livingstone advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Livingstone, Zambia.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 4.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$50 - $200
- Budget per day: US$100 - $400
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Livingstone is a city in Zambia with a welcoming aura that leaves people happy whenever they visit. There are many reasons why a person would plan a trip to Africa and specifically decide to stay at Livingstone, and its connection with nature is one of such reasons.
If you are planning a trip to this city, keep in mind that they are protective of their wildlife, so you should not engage in poaching, neither should do carry out activities that would endanger these animals.
Littering is a severe offence in the country, so you should guide against it if you do not want issues with the local authorities.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality in Livingstone is average as it is sometimes good and other times manageable. However, it does not go below par, making it conducive for living.
It is almost impossible for air pollution not to happen in a country, so you should be on the lookout for those trigger factors and avoid them. However, the locals of the area and the government are putting in conscious effort to ensure that the pollution rate is curbed.
The goal is to have a city where people can have peace of mind and not be agitated over air pollution-related health concerns. You do not need to worry over the air quality in Livingstone.
Respect the Culture
There are many beautiful spots to explore in Livingstone, and interaction with the locals is inevitable. They believe in mutual respect, and you must accord that to them while in their city. These locals are ready to treat you like family if you are respectful of their culture.
The people in Livingstone do not believe in dressing provocatively, so you should be mindful of your dressing while there. It will also be out of place if you start taking pictures of them without permission.
They accord higher respect for people who patronize their businesses as they believe that you are interested in the growth and development of their city.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Foreigners are always hyper to check out different places in a new city, so here are 10 top places to visit in Livingstone:
• Victoria Falls: Many people know about this place, especially as it is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is the largest waterfall worldwide, and a significant selling point for the city. It is unheard that anyone would visit Livingstone without seeing Victoria Falls as it is always a sight to behold.
• The Boiling Pot-Victoria Falls: It is a particular area of the falls that you should explore whenever you visit it. Its gives a fantastic view, and you can also use it as a hiking trail.
• Maramba Market: Visiting a market in a new place usually gives you the chance to interact with the locals as it is a meeting point, so do well to visit this market when in Livingstone. They have many appealing items on display.
• Old Drift Cemetery: It is a small historical burial site in the city where you can get stories of early European settlers and others through their graves.
• Kandahar Island: It is a private resort where people stay to take a break from the busy nature of the city. You will have a relaxing time.
• Lwaando Island: The air at this place is always refreshing and attracts many foreigners to visit it.
• Mukuni Big Five Safaris: Since Livingstone is known for its wildlife, there are safaris in the city, and this is one of them. It allows you to see animals that you may have never seen before, and the environment is always clean.
• Elephant Back Safari: If you have fantasies about elephants or find them intriguing, you should visit this place when in Livingstone.
• Knife Edge Bridge: It is usually an exciting experience walking through this bridge, especially as it gives a great view of the Victoria Falls. If you are daring and love exploration, you should find yourself on it.
The human mind is always curious, and it usually heightens when you are in a new area. There is the urge to find out different things that make the place unique and guard yourself with adequate information to ensure that you are always on the perfect track. Thus, we see foreigners looking for different areas to explore, and hoping they can know more about the city through it.
If you are in such category and you visit Livingstone, you are in luck as the city offers a lot to foreigners, so we are sure that you will have a fulfilling time. It usually gives tourists a wholesome experience.
One place that a foreigner can visit when in a new city is the city park. We are sure that you must have had the experience to explore a park at a time in life, but doing so in another city has a feeling that cannot be explained.
A city park is unique to that city as it private individuals can own it or the city authorities manage its affairs. However, there are no city parks in Livingstone as the parks in the city are national parks, meaning that it is a property of the Zambian government. It would help if you do not allow this dampen your mood.
The government of any country owns a national park, so a city cannot lay claim or hold to it. You can also visit these places if they are available in your holiday city. Some of them in Livingstone are:
• Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park: If you are a lover of animals and nature, we know that this place would be mini heaven for you. No one visits this pace without having a pleasurable time as there is always something to get your attention. Some people who may have never seen a rhino in real life get the opportunity to see them and possibly also have playtime. We know that you would appreciate visiting this place.
One cannot deny the urge to explore a beach when in a new area as the beach is usually a lively environment, and it would be a pleasant experience.
We cannot say that those visiting Livingstone would get the opportunity to explore a beach as there are no beaches in the city, but that does not mean that there are no water bodies. There are some private islands you can visit that would serve as a replacement for a beach.
If the private islands are not enough, why not visit Victoria Falls and experience the thrill of being at a waterfall? It is always worth the visit and would be a worthy and shareable story.
A landmark helps you to find your way around when in a new place. It could be a high building or something popular and easy to remember. Thus, it is in your mind when you are trying to trace your way back. It is usually helpful as it can be challenging trying to remember the different roads in a new terrain.
Since Livingstone is not a big city, we cannot pinpoint specific places as landmarks. Typically, different individuals have different opinions concerning landmarks, and the choice is dependent on them.
When in this city, pick a place that is easy to remember and use as a landmark.
The museum is a perfect place to explore, especially if you are the curious type who wants to know more about the surrounding.
Some of the museums in Livingstone are:
• Livingstone Museum: It has been in place for a long time, and has historical stories about the city in different forms. Some appear in the form of art, while others are handwritten letters by David Livingstone. You will learn a lot about the city when you visit this place.
• Railway Museum: The focus of this museum is the railway heritage of the city, so it gives insight that you never knew. The old trains on display will also captivate you.
• Maramba Cultural Museum: The goal of this museum is to help you understand the culture and traditions of the city better.
Many things can be the highlight of a person’s stay in a new place or city, and food is always amongst the options. People say that it is a different feeling when you get to experience traditional meals of the city you are visiting.
These meals are usually tasty, and thrill behind trying something new makes it more delicious. If you are in Livingstone, you cannot help but try out Nshima. It is a traditional Zambia porridge cooked with sugar, mashed potatoes, tomatoes and many other things. It is served with any protein of choice, and it always leaves you craving for more.
Traditional Local Restaurants
If you are eager to try Nshima and other local meals while in Livingstone, here are some of the restaurants to visit:
• The Clock Bar & Restaurant: It is a relaxing place to eat in the city as their local meals are affordable and of high quality. The ambience is usually perfect as there is provision for music and games to keep the place lively. If you are the networking type, this place gives you that opportunity.
• The Golden Leaf: It has an array of local meals that sometimes leaves people confused about what to order. The deliciousness of the meals is something that always makes people come back and places the restaurant as a top choice.
Vegetarian and Vegan
You do not need to start having doubts or second thoughts about travelling to Livingstone if you are a vegetarian as you can get restaurants that provide meals that would meet your eating preference. Yes, vegans find it hard to get the right food in new places, but you would not face such ordeal in Livingstone.
One of the perfect vegan restaurants in the city is:
• Zest Bar and Restaurant: Everything about this place is perfect as the meals are healthy and delicious, while the environment is soothing for the mind and a place where anyone would want to eat due to its cleanliness. It is also affordable, with excellent customer service who are ever ready to meet the needs of customers.
Asides from the typical and regular foods that one is tempted to try when in a new place, there are also street food options that captivate the eyes and goes well with the taste buds. Street food is a meal that can be easily consumed, and many people love this option.
If you are in living stone, you should try Chikanda before leaving. It is made from an array of items that you will discover when in the city, and it is always the right choice.
Inswas are flying ants that appear after it rains, and the people of this city fry it into a meal. You should also taste it while there.
Some people are also curious about the drinks they would get when in a new place, and we get questions asking if drinking of alcohol is permitted in Livingstone.
There are no restrictions on what you can drink in the city, so you can get and take either alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks. Coca-Cola is the most famous soda in the city, so you can get it if you are a fan.
You will see different types of alcoholic drinks, and you should not hesitate to try them if you desire. There is always something distinct about the local Zambian beer; you should try it before you leave.
Tap water in Livingstone is also something that people desire to know its quality so that they would know what to do when in the city.
Some people may react to the tap water, while others may not. We cannot say that the quality is low as it does not affect the locals. However, we understand that it could be because they are used to it.
We can concur that there are no effects in using this water to brush. However, if you have a sensitive body system, you should buy bottled water or boil the tap water before drinking when in living stone so that it does not trigger anything in your system.
Different cities usually have various options when it concerns places to eat, and one of such is an organic café. If you prefer this option, here are some of the organic cafes in Livingstone:
• Ocean Basket Livingstone: Many seafood lovers usually have complaints about food as the places they visit do not get it right. However, you would not have cause to complain at this place as they are efficient and have one of the tastiest foods you will get in the city. It is always a delight to eat there.
• Kubu Café: It is one of the best cafes in the city due to its exceptional services and unforgettable meals. You should add it to your list of organic cafes in Livingstone.
The breweries in the city and Zambia as a whole always come through with efficient drinks that have people in happy and high spirits. It is believed that friendships are formed over the sharing of drinks, so you need to participate in any of the hangouts to get close to the locals.
There are different breweries in Livingstone and Zambia, and each of them has their unique drinks. It is best to taste the various options and decide on your best so that you would know the one to visit regularly.
These breweries give the assurance that you will not lack alcoholic drinks if they are your preference.
Some extra activities you can do to drive away boredom and enjoy a place is fishing and kayaking. However, there is a need for adequate water bodies for you to engage in these activities.
While we cannot say that kayaking is feasible in Livingstone, fishing is an activity that people do, and there are select areas where you can go fishing. Sometimes, people even fish at Victoria Falls.
It is essential to know the fishing areas, so you need to bond with the locals who will explain things to you and make things easier. If you love fishing, do not sleep on the opportunity to engage in this activity while in the city.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is an activity that is gaining increasing popularity, and we see people desiring to engage in it while in a new place. Sometimes, there are people in that city who organize yoga retreats, and we know that yogis would jump on the opportunity to be a part of it.
If you are a yoga lover, there are different studios in the city where you can go to practice or learn better. For those who love to do yoga in groups, you would also have the opportunity for such while in Livingstone.
Yoga makes many people happy, and that is the goal for anyone who is visiting a new place.
Although you may have plans for different activities to do when you travel to anew place, these cannot be achieved if you do not have a place to stay. After all, it is not every time that you would travel to a city where you know someone.
When you do not have anyone to stay with at a place, you need to make accommodation plans, so the goal is not to be stranded.
We always advocate that intending travellers should put adequate plans in place for their accommodation as it is one of the things that ruin the mood if the arrangements are not reliable. Ensure that you are on the right side of things.
What comes to mind when you hear the word green is either the colour or eco-sustainability. In the case of green hotels, we are refereeing to those hotels that help to protect the environment through its facilities, falling under the category of sustainability.
If you love the idea of lodging at a green hotel when in a new city, you should make plans to stay at Green Tree Lodge when in Livingstone.
It is a place with different amenities that ensure a comfortable stay, including an outdoor pool. You would also have access to free Wi-Fi while lodged here, and the accommodation comes with a complimentary breakfast.
Hostels and Guest Houses
There are more options when it comes to accommodation, and hostels and guest houses are also excellent choices for anyone.
If you would love to stay at any of these options while in Livingstone, here are some of them:
• Tabonina Guesthouse: It has an attractive environment, making it easier for people to choose it as a perfect accommodation option. The rooms are also conducive, and the customer service is excellent. Although we cannot say that its location is central, it is fair enough for a foreigner.
• Ngoma Zanga Lodge: It is at a strategic location that allows lodgers to have proximity to important places and areas. It has a pool and hot tub, and the goal to ensure that lodgers are always comfortable.
It could be that you do not like or want to stay at any of the earlier mentioned options, why not try staying at an apartment during the duration of your stay at Livingstone?
Some of the apartments are:
• Fallsview Apartments: It is always clean, and the staff are welcoming. The view from this apartment is perfect and warm to anyone who stays there. It has many amenities in place, and we have not seen anyone who regrets staying at this place. With a swimming pool as an additional perk, we know that you would want to stay there on your next visit to Livingstone.
People always love when they can cut down on cost while travelling and would welcome the idea of not having to pay for accommodation. This is where the concept of Couchsurfing comes to play.
With Couchsurfing, you are staying for free at the house of a local. It is not every local that this would work with, so you need to check the Livingstone Couchsurfing website for a local who is ready to host a tourist.
Typically, you would have to abide by the rules of the person since it is their house. Thus, you should be on your best behaviour and be able to agree on common grounds.
Some countries or cities have particular campsites, and Livingstone falls under this category. Although it is not compulsory for people to always camp there as you have the choice to camp anywhere you desire. Still, these campsites come in handy as they have facilities in place to ensure that you have a memorable camping experience.
If you were still thinking of an activity to engage in while in Livingstone, you do not bother your head anymore as camping is usually fun, and it helps you to meet more people. At the end of the camping experience, we are sure that you would have added more friends to your circle.
How to Get There
It is agreeable that travelling is usually a planned event, especially when it is a holiday or the goal is for relaxation. There are different things you would need to plan or put in place, and one of such is to know how to get to your destination.
If you do not know how to reach your choice city from your present location, you know that there would be no holiday. Thus, you should research and get adequate information.
The type of information you need centers on the available means of transportation and their possible prices so that it would help you make a choice and plan your budget.
Since there is an airport in Livingstone, you can be sure that it is feasible to use air and reach this city. It is a busy airport that receives flights daily, so you should have any worries.
With the knowledge that you can use air to Livingstone, you need to check if there are available flights down there from your current city. This process might seem like a hassle, but it would not be challenging for people within Southern African as it is within the region.
We can say that those in Southern African can get a direct flight from their location to Livingstone, but those outside the region would need a connecting flight.
If you prefer to use a bus in reaching Livingstone, we would assume that it is because you want to enjoy the scenery. It is not out of place, but you should know that it works in the same way as using air as you cannot get a bus directly to Livingstone except if you are within the Southern African region.
There are buses from Lusaka, the capital of Zambia to Livingstone, and you can also get from Botswana and Namibia.
We know that those who love and appreciate nature will be happy to use a bus down to Livingstone and they will not be disappointed by what they see.
History has it that Livingstone was one of, if not the first city to get a railway system in Southern Africa. Thus, you know that trains operate within this region.
Some people love travelling on a train, and would not mind reaching Livingstone via this means. We are not saying that it is impossible, but we cannot assure that you would get a train to the city if you are not within Zambia.
Those who are already in Zambia can quickly get a train that would take them to Livingstone. If you are insistent on using a train, ensure that you are already within the country.
The concept of hitchhiking entails getting a free ride to your destination. We know that some people would not mind entering Livingstone with a free ride as it would help them to save cost. However, you should also know that you cannot hitchhike if you are not within Zambia already.
The idea is to flag down cars on the road that heads to your destination and ask for a free ride. It usually works, but some drivers might want a little toke. When you compare private drivers with truck drivers, it is easier to get this free ride from the truck drivers.
Some people may want to argue that you can use a ferry to reach Livingstone, but the claims are not substantial as there is no seaport in Livingstone.
It is best to stick with the available means of transportation.
Since it is common that foreigners love to explore a place, you know that there is always the need to move from one place to another. However, this will not be feasible if you do not know the various means of moving around the city.
It could be that you have one means in mind as it is what operates back at home, but it does not work in your holiday city. Thus, one of the first things you should do as you arrive in the city is to ask questions about the means of moving around so that you know and efficiently utilize it.
It is common to see people walking around in Livingstone since it a small city. People feel that there is no need to stress about different means of transportation as they would not spend time in reaching their destination from the current spot.
Walking allows some people to self-reflect or appreciate nature. Although you may be walking around alone, you can still create the fun for yourself if you desire.
You can have a camera along to snap different interesting sites, but you should ask any local for permission before you can snap them else it will be disrespectful. Establishing a great relationship with the locals is vital while walking around.
It is easy for people to cycle around Livingstone since it is small. Cycling is usually a fun activity, and many people do not mind using it as a means of moving around. After all, the views are exceptional, and the roads are not so hard to navigate while riding.
However, we would not fail to advocate that you use some days to study how people drive so that you would understand how to move while using a bicycle. We can confirm that the feeling of using a bicycle is usually sweet, so you should not hesitate to rent a bicycle if you love this idea.
The same way you would rent a bicycle is the same to rent a scooter when in Livingstone. Typically, bicycle rentals are also scooter rentals.
The roads in this city make it comfortable for one to use electronic vehicles such as a scooter, so you should go ahead and rent one if you desire. However, you should also get safety kits as you always need to be well-equipped. It is not advisable to use a scooter without a helmet.
Typically, it is easier to get a taxi in this city than a public bus. We do not know how it works in your home city, but the process of getting a cab in Livingstone is not challenging. If you encounter difficulties, you should look around and follow what others are doing.
If you are doing a private charter, the fare would be higher. However, you can also share a taxi with others.
Tram, Train and Subway
Since there is a railway in Livingstone, you can add using trains to the means of moving around in the city. Typically, you know that it would be slower than other available means, but you can go ahead if it is what you desire. Sometimes, it could be that you have never been on a train, so this is your opportunity.
If you do not understand how they operate, do not hesitate to ask a local.
If you love buying eco-items, Livingstone is the city for you as these are available in different varieties. The locals use it as a means of income, and you should not hesitate from patronizing them.
It usually makes them happy when a foreigner buys what they sell as they know that their product would go beyond the borders of the country, and it means a lot that it would get your attention.
Can anyone do without food?
Here are some of the food markets in Livingstone:
• Maramba Market: If you need traditional food items, you will get them in abundance at this market. It is a big market where locals and foreigners connect, and the sellers are usually pleasant and welcoming.
• Batoka Market: It is a small market at the back of the central hospital that has the necessary items you need. Although it needs renovation, it always comes through.
If you require a flea market in Livingstone, here are your options:
• Mukuni Park Curio Market: You will see varieties at this place, and we know that you cannot leave without purchasing anything. Many of these items are valuable, and you would want to have them for a long time. Ensure to get anything you desire without any hesitation as they are not pricey.
Second Hand Stores
Seeing people shopping or desiring to shop at a second-hand store is not something new, so many cities have these second-hand stores. The idea is to get the items you like at a lower price.
Interestingly, there are times when you cannot find what you desire except at a second-hand store. Purchasing from a second-hand store does not reduce the quality of the item, so you should not have doubts or think otherwise.
Since Livingstone is eco-friendly and they buy into the idea of sustainability, it is not surprising to see that many of the fashion designers have found a way of incorporating this into their clothing wears.
Many of the trendy fashion items of today in the city are eco-fashion, and they are always chic! The notion that eco-fashion items are not fashionable should be removed because they give regular clothing a good rival for the money.
Some companies have decided to handle the affairs of recycling in the city, and they usually give instructions to the locals on how to dispose of their dirt. For some of them, they have a unique bag or basket where people deposit item for recycling, and it makes life easier.
We encourage all foreigners in Livingstone to act right and key into the initiative of recycling as it something that helps to conserve the environment.
Waste management is an essential part of the governing affairs of the city, especially as they do not tolerate littering. There are provisions in place to ensure that people thrash their waste correctly, so they do not expect their roads and streets to be dirty.
The city strives to ensure that it stays clean always so that it can appeal to foreigners and investors. It is not an easy journey, but they are gradually growing.
Work and Study Abroad
The idea of working while studying works in Livingstone, so you do not need to have worries about it.
If you are a foreigner schooling in the city, you are allowed to look for jobs as they understand that everything is a choice, and a student might need money for things that cannot be disclosed. It does not matter the reason for wanting to gain extra funds, but commendation to Livingstone since people can now stay there.
Livingstone is a small city, and there is only one university. If you want to experience the city as a student, you can check if your present school would partner with the school in Livingstone for an exchange program.
If it works out, ensure to enjoy the city in full abundance.
As a way to help people get money, the au pair concept was created and is actively working in many cities across the world.
The idea here is to check the au pair website if there are available jobs mostly posted by the locals. If you are in luck to get one, it should be a thing of joy.
You can volunteer in Livingstone for different durations, and the openings are majorly on wildlife and teaching.