Eco-friendly travel guide to Mandalay advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Mandalay, Myanmar.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$11 - $100
- Budget per day: US$30 - $130
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
The second-largest city of Myanmar and the royal capital of the ancient period, the city of Mandalay, is located on the bank of the Irrawaddy River. The land of the royal palaces where the Burmese kings lived the city is one of the perfect picturesque locations.
Jeweled with the numerous pagodas and the remains of the palaces, the city of Mandalay, is one of the tourist attractions that will offer the perfect blend of the modern places with the fantastic places recreating the story of the glorious period. Named as "Yadanabon", which means "The City of Gems" during the discovery, the area has genuinely lived its name.
The commercial, educational, as well as the prime health center of Myanmar, the city derived its name from the nearby Mandalay Hill. With a semi-arid climate, Mandalay is a place to offer you the noticeably warmer and colder periods of the year, making it one of the finest places to explore and travel.
To ensure the responsibility of an eco-friendly tourist, the things that can be done are:
- Blend with the changing pace and try to learn a little of the local language for the warm gesture line min-ga-laba (hello) and jeh-za-beh (thank you).
- The best experience of Myanmar is to explore it by self. Leave all the pre-judgments and preconceptions aside and let yourself mix with the culture of the city.
- The people here are soft, warm, and friendly. Try interacting with them and dress well and be considerate about their culture while you explore the city.
- The artwork of wood and stone is still quite popular in the city. You will be able to find some of the most delicate art pieces here. So praise the artwork of the local artisans, craftsmen, and get one from the local market.
- Handicraft demands skills and patience, refrain from bargaining while you buy one. The artifacts of wood and marble sold here are one of the finest examples of art, get one to adore.
- The nature and wildlife near the city are beautiful. Pay due attention not to harm them. Make sure to deduce the use of pollution-causing modes while you travel and explore the city.
- Book your stay in a hotel that is eco-friendly with all the amenities you need. This will ensure a better and healthier stay with no harm to the environment.
- Reduce the use of plastic and try using reusable articles or bottles to reduce carbon footprints.
- While you explore the city, prefer to go traveling by electric vehicles, bicycle, or on foot. Utilize the mode that emits less pollution and so reduce the carbon trail as well.
- Remember not to litter the city as well as advise your fellow travelers to ensure the same. It will keep the beauty of the city intact while you explore.
Air Quality and Pollution
Air pollution is one of the prime risks that people face today. Mandalay is one of the prime tourist destinations that is prone to pollution. With the increasing number of people visiting the city, the pollution rate and the use of vehicles are also rising.
The primary source of nitrogen dioxide as the source of the pollution is Mandalay is the burning of fossil fuels: coal, oil, and gas. Being a place that is still linked to ancient practices to some extent, the use of fossil fuels is prevalent, adding to the amount of pollution.
While due to massive tax imposed on the import of vehicles in the country, the number of people owing the four-wheelers is still low, but due to the increased use of public transport for tourism purposes, the combustion has increased leading to a reduction in the air quality.
Although the government is taking measures to control the pollution levels, still a lot more needs to be done. The current statistics from the World Health Organization for air pollution in Mandalay are:
- PM10 - 69
- PM2.5 - 30
- PM10 Pollution Level - High
- Pollution Index: 83.47
- Pollution Exp Scale: 150.69
With a pollution level of 82.69, the city has an Air Quality Index of 17.31, which is relatively very low.
Being an explorer visiting this vibrant and wonderful city, it is prudent to change to less contamination causing choices and pick the eco-accommodating travel alternatives to lessen the carbon impressions. At the same time, you explore and adore the city.
Furthermore, try not to litter or dirty the climate as the inhabitants and government are still en route to keep the city clean and healthy. Make a point to utilize eco-accommodating choices while you are in the city and leave a positive path once you leave the city.
Respect the Culture
A city with a rich history and unique places to visit, Mandalay is the cultural heritage of Myanmar. With numerous monasteries and more than 700 pagodas, this place is a prime location for the Buddhism religion.
Popularly known as the capital city of the Burmese culture, the city is one of the fascinating places to visit. With the Kuthodaw Pagoda, the "world's largest book" also known as the "Buddhist Bible" that is sitting at the foothill of Mandalay Hill, the pure art. There are 729 slabs of stone that together are inscribed with the entire Pāli canon, each housed in its white stupa, which makes the beauty of the place uncanny.
With the girls still wearing Thanakha - traditional makeup that is said to prevent sunburns, the city is always blessed with the rich culture and traditions to adore. The culture of Mandalay is more linked to historical significance, religion, and eco-tourism. To respect the culture of the city focus on points like:
- Follow the culture and traditions while you visit any Pagoda. In case of any doubt, do not hesitate to ask the locals.
- Praise the local art forms and artists, and buy from the local artisans working on wood carvings and marble sculpture making.
- Appreciate the Kuthodaw Pagoda, the "world's largest book".
- Being warm and friendly, people are welcoming, so ensure to be polite and soft-spoken.
- Visit the buildings inside the old Mandalay city walls, surrounded by a moat.
- Try to blend with the people and their culture, and if you get a chance to learn the local language or rather just a few words to show gratitude to locals, for their hospitality.
Top 10 Places to Visit
With the overwhelming monasteries, pagodas, and beautiful surroundings, Mandalay is the most acceptable place to explore and visit. Known for its mix of indigenous people with Chinese and Indian immigrants, the city is a perfect place to explore the culture.
From the remains of the royal palaces where the kings lived, to the scenic beauty, and the pagodas to seek blessing, this place has a lot to offer to all its visitors. With the majestic sights and the iconic buildings, exploring the city will be one of the most jaw-dropping moments for all the travelers.
While the places to explore are unlimited, the best places to chart down to explore are:
- The Shwenandaw Monastery: Also known as the Golden Palace Monastery based on the unique and magnificent carving work on the walls that depict the Buddhist mythology, this was a royal apartment built by King Mindon. Overtook by his son, King Thibaw, after his sad demise, the palace was turned into a monastery, when he left the palace as he felt the ghost of his father still living in the palace. Built entirely of teal wood, this place is one with exceptional architectural sculptures and carvings to explore.
- The KuThoDaw Pagoda: Surrounded by 729 stupas in a line, this sits at the foot of Mandalay hills. Built by King Mindon Min, it is mostly known as "the world's biggest book". With the spectacular view of the place with the 729 stoned pages of the Buddhist Bible standing filled with sacred teachings, the place is one of the most inspirational and exciting places to visit.
- Mahamuni Buddha Temple: A pilgrim with the Buddha statue, which measures 13 feet tall, this is one of the finest places to seek blessings. With the story linked to its origin from Arakan, this place is dated back to 2000 years ago. With the gold leaf plated on the statue, it is estimated to be a 6 inches thick plate which makes this statue memorable.
- Sanda Muni Pagoda: located next to the Kuthodaw Pagoda, it is the house for the large iron Buddha image called Sanda Muni Buddha image and various other pagodas. Built as the memorial of Prince Kanaung who was murdered in 1866 along with three princes, this place carries a historical sentiment as well.
- Maha Aung Mye Bon Zan Monastery: Unlike other monasteries, this is one of the finest creations made of brick and stucco. The monastery is also known as Mal Nu Oak Monastery wherein the term carries a beautiful meaning which is Mal Nu" was the Queen who built this monastery and "Oak" means brick. The giant lion gatekeepers of the monastery make this place breathtaking.
- Mingun Bell: Located in the Sagaing Region about one and a half hours of driving from Mandalay, this is the largest bell that is still functioning after 2000 years. Weighing approximately 199,999 pounds or 55,555 visses, with "Min Phyu Mhan Mhan Pyaw." inscribed on the surface which refers to number 5 in the Burmese language. It is an exciting and one of the most picture-perfect locations to visit.
- Mandalay Palace: The royal palace of the Konbaung Dynasty is the last one where King Thibaw, the last king of Myanmar kingdom, was captured by the British Colony. With restoration work and control of the military, a part of the palace is open for visitors to explore and adore.
- Moke Shwe Gu Gyi: One of the most complex temples to explore, this place depicts the life of the Buddha as well as traditional folk tales of animals, plants, and deities. Hust 24 miles to the south of Mandalay from the center of the city, this place is one of the places to offer you great insight into the lives of the Burmese people. One of the major attractions is the Buddha statue which is called encased as three figures are built one inside the other.
- Shwe Kyi Myin Paya: A place whose story dates back to 1167 and is even older than the history of the city of Mandalay itself, the central image of Buddha here is made to scale, and the most stunning part is that it is covered with gold and sparkling jewels. The hidden murals and even other statues at the Paya are worth visiting and exploring.
- Skinny Buddha: A recent addition to the list of the places to visit in Mandalay is the Skinny Buddha. As compared to the traditional and usual images and statues of Buddha, this one is different. It stands at a height of 75 feet and is more like an anime image of the traditional Buddha image. Designed in the modern style, this place is a must to place to capture some stunning photographs.
A city as beautiful as Mandalay with so many beautiful Pagodas, architectural beauty, nature, and other places to explore, one can enjoy every nook and corner at the peak. With the beautiful flashes of the modern lifestyle merged with the traditional beliefs and art forms, this place is going to offer an experience unmatched to any other place.
With the attractions to make you wonder about their beauty and places to offer eternal peace, Mandalay is a city filled with breathtaking examples of architecture and marvels of the ancient period. So, while you are willing to explore the place, visit the beautiful locations, and explore, remember to keep the city clean by reducing your carbon footprints.
The best places to explore from the parks to beaches, and museums to landmarks, are listed down for you to have the best experience.
While you explore and visit the city, there are a few beautiful parks with lush green plants and colorful flowers blooming to spread joy and happiness. With the concern for nature and the aim to keep the air fresh and healthy, the locals and government are focused on the development of the parks in the city.
The perfect location to go for a stroll in the morning or evening, parks are the places that offer pleasure and peace.
The city parks that add beauty to Mandalay and offer peace and calmness are:
- General Aung San Park Mandalay
- Nandawun Park
- Chan Myawadi Park
- Small Park
- Mya Nandar Garden
- Taung Tha Man Lake
- Naypyidaw Water Fountain Garden
- City Park
With a few of the botanical and zoological gardens aimed towards conserving the fauna and recreating a place with better greenery, the major National Parks that are located in the city of Mandalay are:
- National Kandawgyi Botanical Gardens
- Mt. Popa National Park
- National Landmark Garden
- Yadanabon Zoological Gardens
Mandalay is a beautiful place to explore the ruins of the past and the Pagodas. Unfortunately, there are no beaches in the city.
However, still, if you are looking to soothe yourself near the water bodies, then the panoramic view of the waterfalls and with the amazing surrounding that is filled with lush greenery and calming side to relax will offer you great bliss. The most impressive waterfalls to explore are:
- Anisakan falls
- Hampshire Falls and caves
- Dee Dote waterfall
- Dee Doke waterfall
- Pwe Kauk Waterfall
- Dat Taw Giant Waterfall
Additionally, the bank of the river Irrawaddy is one of the finest places to offer you calm water, a soothing atmosphere, and beautiful surroundings.
The city of Mandalay is one of the finest examples of the architecture and beautiful Buddha Pagodas. While the majority of the landmarks and places in the city are linked to religion and culture, there are a few places that are related to royalty as well.
While exploring the beautiful city, the significant Pagodas that are the landmark beauty of Mandalay, the monasteries that offer insight into the culture and tradition of the city are:
- Shwe In Bin Kyaung
- Mahamuni Paya
- Yankin Hill
- Pinya Stupa Ruins
- Kyauktawgyi Paya
- Shwenandaw Kyaung
- Eindawya Paya
- San Dha Mukhi Statue
Once you are done exploring the Pagodas and the monasteries, the other beautiful landmarks that offer eternal beauty and a perfectly picturesque location in Mandalay are:
- U Bein Bridge: The longest teakwood bridge in the world which stretches from Mandalay to Amarapura, is the most iconic site to visit and explore.
- Mandalay Hill: The 760 feet tall hill with a stairway and the lush green beauty on either side is one of the finest places to explore untouched nature.
- Moat and Fortress Walls: Originally the Mandalay Fortress, this stretches for 4 miles and soars to a height of 26 feet.
- Goldpounders' District: Just two blocks from Mandalay, this is the place to explore how the gold leaves are still made with hands to offer at Pagodas.
If you are looking to know about the history, culture, and past of a place, then there is no better way than exploring the museums. Some of the best museums that are worth exploring at Mandalay are:
- Cultural Museum & Library: The place is a house to that objects of past ministers for over the centuries. The things that can be found here include materials and furniture used by King Mindon and King Thibaw, paintings by Royal artist Saya Chone and sculptures.
- Mandalay palace museum: The part of the last palace of the kingdom, this will offer you a peep into the life of the royals.
- Bronze Statue Museum: The place to explore the beautiful bronze statues and know about the history of various eras, this is one finest museum.
- Defense Services Museum: A three-hour drive from Mandalay, this is a military museum with fantastic architecture extending to 600 acres.
- The Gem Museum: Another museum which is one of the most amazing of its kind, is a house to various varieties of gems.
With a rich culture and the importance of the traditions, the food at the Mandalay is one of the finest. With the aromatic smell of the spices and the fantastic taste of the traditionally prepared food, Mandalay is a place to tickle your taste buds.
The home for the Shan Cuisine, the type of food that you are able to taste in Mandalay is similar to the northern mountain taste of Thailand garnished with nuts and beans and flavored with sesame and turmeric. With the inclination towards non-vegetarian cuisine, there is an equal and beautiful presentation of vegan and vegetarian cuisine as well.
So, if you are looking for the same places to grab a meal and enjoy, then the best places to explore in Mandalay are listed down for you.
Traditional Local Restaurants
With the lip-smacking taste of the regional delicacies and the fusion of the unique culinary arts, the restaurants offer various traditional dishes like tea leaf salads, fine curries with soy paste, and moet-hin-karfish soup; the food here is one of the best.
With the traditional restaurants serving the local and regional delicacies, the best places to explore the traditional food of Mandalay are:
- Mingalabar restaurant
- Green Elephant
- Lashio Lay
- Aye Myit Tar
- Super 81
- Ko's Kitchen
- A Little Bit of Mandalay
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are a vegetarian and are looking for food that is purely composed of vegetables and vegetarian ingredients, then Mandalay has a lot to offer. With the restaurants focused on offering the authentic taste of vegetarian dishes, and the addition of vegan options, the best restaurants to visit in Mandalay are:
- Marie Min
- Diamond Ring
- Healthy Me
- Shan Ma Ma
The street food of Mandalay is one of the most acceptable options to taste and explore. The traditionally prepared and affordably available street food in Mandalay that will offer you the best experience are:
- Experience Mandalay nan gyi thoke, the large noodle salad with chicken curry and fish balls, fresh chopped onion, and a few other ingredients.
- Taste the Mandalay mhee shay, a rice noodle salad mixed with pork, pig's tail, pig's intestine, pepper, and bean sprouts served with a delicious bowl of pork soup.
- Experience Mandalay Htoe Moat, a glutinous rice cake topped with cashew nuts, raisins, and cream butter.
- Explore the Zegyo Market and taste the chicken gizzards, pig's stomach or curried lungs, try mohinga, a fish noodle soup.
- If you are looking for a sweet taste, try some kauknyintok, steamed bananas wrapped in coconut leaves.
With the various beautiful places to explore and the fantastic delicacies to taste, Mandalay is a place to mesmerize travelers. With the aromatic food and the soothing places to calm your mind and soul, the place is lovely.
With the fantastic places to eat and various places to offer drinks ranging from tea and coffee to juices and from mocktails to cocktails, Mandalay has a lot of places to quench your thirst. With a lively crowd and warming people, having a drink at Mandalay is impressive.
Water is the base of any life. While you travel to any place, water is the essential thing that you need. The accessibility of pristine drinking water is the prime factor that makes the site friendly and even superior.
While the government of Mandalay is in charge of the water supply in the city and the arrangement of faucet water is likewise accessible. Still, it is prudent to go for the mineral and filtered water for utilization.
The Drinking Water Quality and Accessibility is moderate at 45.83, which makes the water of Mandalay not suitable to be consumed. At the same time, the overall water quality is low at 41.67, as per Numbeo, which makes the consumption of tap water quite risky.
So, while you are in Mandalay prefer to get the bottled water to ensure a safe and healthy journey. Instead, if you wish to consume tap water, it is advisable to boil it first to remove all the impurities from it.
The concept of organic cafes is comparatively new to Mandalay. While you are exploring the city and are looking for some organic restaurants to have a sip of coffee with the organically prepared healthy snack, there a few places that will offer you the best experience.
Some of the best Organic cafes to explore and tickle your taste bud with the organically made dishes and maybe a drink, in the Mandalay are:
- Simplicity Organic Food and Bakery
- Café City
- Ya Ti Organic Food & Garden
Are you looking to taste some beers and wines on your trip? If so, then the best breweries to visit in Mandalay are:
- Mandalay Brewery
- Beer King
- Drink Me
- The Rock Gastro Bar
With a place so beautiful to explore and the chance to get indulged in outdoor activities, Mandalay is one to offer the best experience. With the traces of the historical ruins to explore and the mountains trail to stroll, there are various outdoor activities that one can participate in.
So, once you are done with exploring the beaches, and tasting its delicacies, you can indeed get involved in the adrenaline rush activities like the ones listed down for you:
- Experience the Mandalay Marionettes and enjoy the puppet show
- Watch the Mintha Theater Mandalay get the taste of local artform
- Explore the Moat And Fortress Walls and Golden Rose Workshop Mandalay
- Climb the trail of Mandalay Hill
- Participate in the bicycle tour to explore the trails
- Visit Bagan for the hot air balloon flight
- Meet the dolphins at Living Irrawaddy Dolphin Project
So, if you are looking forward to having a fun day, they prefer to join some group or the locals to enjoy it to the fullest. A fun day with the group will make you relaxed and calm and will allow you to feel lighthearted.
Yoga and Retreats
The customary act of Yoga is more connected to picking up inner harmony and amicability. Zeroed in on quieting the psyche and soul of the individual and diminishing the pressure and tension, Yoga is one such practice that can offer you colossal joy and smoothness.
While you are in Mandalay and in the event that you are seeking look for inward harmony, at that point, different spots offer the act of Yoga and care meetings. A portion of the yoga habitats that you can visit to feel the intensity of Yoga and reflection in Mandalay are:
- Unity & Healthy
- The ULTIMATE Yoga Studio
- Dhamma Mandala Vipassana Meditation Centre
Take out some time for the self and dive into the beautiful yoga session that will offer you the calmness of mind and soul at the most.
While you investigate any city, the prime concern is to book your stay. All love an inn that offers you all the luxuries and that too in the spending plan.
While the city of Mandalay is unified with a rich history, it offers a ton of inns for its guests. going structure is essential to extravagance, and from contemporary to eco-accommodating, the spots to remain in the city are uncanny.
Thus, in the event that you are an independent voyager or one with family, Mandalay is prepared to offer you a comfortable and upbeat remainder with the enhancements that you want and that too in the best financial plan. They give you free Internet, Gym, and Security Lockers, and other related facilities.
The eco-accommodating idea of stay is nearly another idea for different urban communities and places of interest the world over. In light of the worry for the climate, the urban neighborhoods that advance the travel industry are quickly pushing forward towards the selection of the idea of eco-accommodating living.
With the idea of remaining at eco-accommodating inns that put their attention on offering the best enhancements and adjusting to the 3R's which are reuse, recycle, and reduce, the inns in Mandalay are financially cordial and efficient also.
The hotels that offer the eco-friendly stay with all the amenities and with the friendly staff in the Mandalay are:
- Green Days Inn
- Rupar Mandalar Resort
- Royal Green Hotel
- Bagan King
- Mercure Mandalay Hill Resort
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are an independent voyager or one who is looking for a longer duration of stay, then booking a hostel or guesthouse is better than a hotel. Also, if you are fond of staying at the comfort of self, then the best hostels and guest houses to book your stay are:
- Mansion Hostel Mandalay
- A Plus Hostel
- Celia Hostel Mandalay
- Rich Queen
- Ma Ma Guest House
If you have visited Mandalay for some of the official purposes and are looking for a stay over the extended period with all the necessary amenities like kitchen, Wi-fi, parking, wash area, sitting area, and a friendly environment, then the best apartments to book are:
- Best Season
- Garden City Apartment Complex
Couchsurfing is an idea that is increasing wide-scale prominence nowadays. Staying with local people in their homes, sharing their way of life, encountering the neighborhood way of life, and mixing with the nearby culture, couch surfers will discover a ton.
While various areas offer to book as the couch surfer, it is reasonable to consider the host and the way in which they live. Realizing all that legitimately will ensure a smooth and fun remain when stood out from a mediocre and laid back one.
Thus, before you think and plan your stay as the couch surfer, attempt to grasp your host well. Moreover, while you remain, endeavor to mix and blend in with the lifestyle and consistently lifestyle to welcome the stay to the fullest with no high focuses and depressed spots.
Spending some time with nature and staying under the clear sky with the bright stars shining above the head, camping is the best. While the city of Mandalay is one of the finest, there are various sites of camping that add to the beauty of the place.
The most celebrated campgrounds where you can book your stay for the best experience are:
- Mercure Mandalay Hill Resort
- The Wood Cabin & Campground
Well, these camping sites are perfect for enjoying the warmth at night and gazing at the unlimited stars shining in the dark, clear sky.
How to Get There
Travelling is one of the most tiring activities in the process of exploring new places. While one can reach the area with air, road, or train, the best one is that offers comfort and is affordable as well.
Mandalay being a tourist destination and the second-largest city in Myanmar, the city is very well connected to the rest of the world. Along these lines, it is very urgent to think about the availability and comprehend the necessities to ensure smooth and fun travel.
Mandalay International Airport is the prime international airport and is one that is well-connected to the rest of the world. With multiple domestic and international flights connecting the city, reaching Mandalay by air is one of the most convenient modes.
The road transport is one of the prime modes to reach Mandalay with Kwe Se Kan bus station being the central bus station. Connecting well to various prime cities and buses of all ranges like luxurious, A/c, and basic, reaching Mandalay with a bus is easy and affordable.
If you are looking to travel by train, then the city is well connected to Yangon and Bagan, making the train travel easy and affordable.
With cordial local people, the occasion to get bummed a ride is very acceptable. In any case, it is fitting to know about the area and environmental factors while you are searching for a bummed ride to your destination.
Also try to carry it to the notification of the drifter about your financial contribution, assuming any. Since the city is little, the dread of the hooligans is less, yet on the off chance that you are a solitary voyager, it is prudent to know the individual before going with him.
While you wish to go hitchhiking, a small wave of the hand will be enough for you to get the lift.
The boat ride from Bagan to Mandalay is one of the most acceptable options to visit the city while exploring the beauty of the river on your way. Additionally, you can book a personal vehicle or drive your way through to reach the city of Mandalay, if you are looking forward to a more comfortable ride.
The idea of eco-tourism depends on investigating a traveler's place such that the carbon impressions of your stay are diminished to the least, and you likewise make the most of your get-aways without limit. Taking into thought the climate and nature is the critical idea of driving eco-accommodating travel.
Mandalay is a culturally and traditionally forward city; it is of prime concern to opt for the options that will ensure a surreal experience with the least pollution addition from your side.
The city is small with entirely walkable streets and trails. With the environment soothing, exploring the city on foot is affordable.
Most of the people in the city still use bicycles and with the stands offering you to rent one, exploring the city on a bicycle is one of the most acceptable options.
Relatively a new concept catching importance, electronic vehicles are one of the prime transportation modes in the city. With the aim to reduce pollution, the government is fast moving towards the adoption of electronic vehicles.
If you are looking for public transport to explore the city of Mandalay, then one can surely go for the buses that run in the city. Additionally, there is a trishaw that can be adopted.
Tram, Train and Subway
The concept of trams, trains, and subways is not available for the tourists in Mandalay. Apart, there was a tramway system in Mandalay Which closed in 1942.
The best experience one can have is to explore the new cities, their culture, food, traditions, and a lot more. While one travels to new places, the experience that he gathers is unmatched and one of the most precious parts of life.
While you visit Mandalay, you will find a fantastic chance to know about the rich history of the place while meeting new people and making new friends. No doubt, shopping is a part of exploring any modern city, and it cannot be left untouched. Buying from the locals is the best way to uplift and help the locals of any place. A boost to the local art and craft is undoubtedly a part of the eco-friendly travel.
Some of the best local markets that will offer you authentic and genuine products and will surprise you are listed down for you.
While you plan to travel alone for an extended period of stay in the apartment, then the need to cook the food is uncanny. With the spices, herbs, ingredients, fresh vegetables, and fruits being available in the local market, the best picks to get the ingredients in Mandalay are:
- Zay Cho Market
- Chinatown Night Market
Mandalay, a city with a rich culture and tradition, is one to offer the best of art and traditional crafts. With the flea markets selling the local art, craft, handmade articles, jewelry, and other pieces that can be bought as the memory of souvenirs, the prime locations in Mandalay to explore are:
- Jade Market
- Zay Cho Market
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand stores are the ones that sell books, hardware, electronics, furniture, and so forth. People get these items at half price, which is extra cheap for them. Thrift shopping at such stores is a good idea when you need to buy articles for use at a lower price.
While the local market offers you a wide variety of options to choose from, there are thrift shops that will provide you with quality products at reasonable prices in Mandalay.
The idea of using natural fibers and reusing the material to create a beautiful and elegant dress, making jewelry using reusable items, dying the plant dyes, and using chemical-free ways to promote fashion, eco-fashion is one of the newest concepts gaining attention worldwide.
While the concept is new, it is still on the verge of gaining popularity in Mandalay as people are moving towards eco-friendly ideas.
Following the 3 R's of better living, Mandalay has created a City Waste Management Strategy and Action Plan which focuses on the concept of waste management and recycling. Transforming the traditional method of waste collection and disposal, the current plan focuses on offering sustainable waste management practices with the aim to achieve a resource-efficient and zero waste society.
So, while you travel the city focus on using recyclable articles as compared to ones that are hard to recycle and reuse. Also, make your fellow travelers aware of the same and try to use the recyclable products to the maximum.
Mandalay is a prime tourist location welcoming travelers from around the world. With the increase in the number of visitors, the waste generated in the city is also rising. With the drafting of the plans that focus on the advanced and technologically efficient disposal methods, plans are developed with the view of creating a better and cleaner environment.
With the efforts of the government and support of the locals, the city aims towards recreating the waste management system that will serve the bigger picture. Being a responsible traveler, try to keep the waste generation at the least and ensure to use the dustbins to dispose of the waste.
Also, while you explore the city, make the fellow travelers aware of the idea of waste management and make mindful of reducing the waste and polluting the trails.
Work and Study Abroad
Mandalay is one of the most acceptable cities in Myanmar to visit. With the culture and traditions so vibrant, the education and working environment of Mandalay are one of the prime factors that make the city the fastest-growing and advanced.
While the city is on the growing stage, the facilities here are welcoming people from various places to explore the opportunities and educate about history. Although the city is not welcoming many people to study or work at this particular moment, being a developing one, the prospects for the same in the future are relatively high.
Mandalay is a city with a rich history and being the second largest city of Myanmar, the various universities and colleges that operate in the city are:
- Mandalay University
- Mandalay University of Foreign Languages
- University of Medicine, Mandalay
- Myanmar Theological College, Mandalay
- University of Dental Medicine, Mandalay
- University of Distance Education, Mandalay
- Mandalay Technological University
- National University of Arts and Culture, Mandalay
Mandalay is undoubtedly one of the most warming and friendly places to visit and explore. With a rich history and friendly people, exploring the city is one of the finest experiences to get. While the concept of the Au pair is new, still there is a chance to get one.
But before you decide to go for being an Au pair, it is essential to know about the terms of the host as many facilities will be shared. Also, you might get the opportunity to be paid but still if the option is not there, the idea of Au Pair is adequate to meet the locals and blend with their tradition and culture.
Make sure to be at your best and respect the culture and explore the beauty of the place and experience the best while you stay as the Au pair in Mandalay.
Volunteering is the opportunity that will offer you a chance to apply your skills and offer your services for the betterment of the locality as a whole. While many volunteering organizations provide the opportunity to apply as volunteers and serve the locals, still it is essential to be aware of the underlying terms and conditions.
Some organizations work towards nature while some towards education, so choose your niche and ensure to leave a positive trail while you leave the city. Empower your stay with the positivity that you will get to serve the community.