Eco-friendly travel guide to Mexico City advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Mexico City, Mexico.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$6 - $640
- Budget per day: US$40 - $800
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Mexico is a very popular city all around the world for having a great culture, food, drink, and all other things. This city is also very well known for being the capital city of Mexico. Many tourists like to visit this city to witness the culture, traditions, people, lifestyle, popular attractions, and many other things. The birthplace of chocolate is very favorite for travelers and every year, a lot of tourists visit this city.
Some of the famous places such as Templo Mayor, Palacio Nacional, Baroque Cathedral, and Cancun, the day of the dead festival also attract a lot of visitors every year. If you are planning to visit Mexico, then be sure to have a lot of fun and a memorable time in the city. However, you need to keep some of the things in mind when you are traveling.
- To make the city free of pollution, you can choose green hotels for your stay. It will help to reduce pollution in the city and make the environment better. Also, staying at a green hotel is very helpful for health too
- Try to use local transportation services and eco-friendly vehicles to keep the city pollution-free. It will also save a lot of money by using local transportation services. Most of these services are dependent on the tourism industry
- As an eco-friendly traveler, make sure to visit the parks and gardens in the city to get one of the best experiences of the trip. It will help you to get very fresh air and close to nature with all the greens surrounding you
- When it comes to food, the whole world knows very well about the taste of Mexican foods. Make sure to try the Mexican cuisines from the famous restaurants along with the street foods. Street foods are one of the best ones that you can get in the city
- On your trip to Mexico City, make sure to use the small shops as much as you can to buy items. It will help you a lot to save money, and the sellers will provide wonderful goods to travelers.
Air Quality and Pollution
Before you visit Mexico, you need to be sure that the air is good for your health. If the air is not that good, then you might need to take many precautions before traveling to the city. The air quality of Mexico stays between good to moderate, which means you might face some problems if you have specific health conditions. Serious breathing problems, asthma, and other problems can be worse in moderate air quality.
So, you will need to see a doctor and get some instructions about safety before traveling. Make sure to carry some of the necessary things with you such as masks, medicines, and others while visiting the city. If you do not have any of these health conditions, then you should be fine in the city. You can also look at the air quality online before visiting the city. The average AQI (Air Quality Index) of the city is around 30.
Respect the Culture
One of the most attractive things about Mexico is the culture. You will be able to see much diversity in the culture from foods to clothes. The vibrant, rich, and colorful culture of Mexico makes it worth visiting the city. The culture of this city is very influenced by ancient civilizations. You will get to see many similarities of Mexican culture with Maya and Aztec along with some European. This is one of the best and fascinating cultures in the world without any doubt.
The unique traditions and culture of the city make it very different from other countries. Make sure to see the lifestyle and witness the culture of Mexico from up close to get the best experience. The festival of Day of the Dead also known as Dia de Los Muertos is one of the best cultural festivals of Mexico that is very well known around the world. It is best to visit Mexico City at the time of this festival to have a lifetime memory.
Top 10 Places to Visit
There is no doubt that Mexico City is an exceptional place where you can visit during your holidays. You cannot imagine that every year more than thousands of tourists come here and have a lovely leisure time. But now if you want to make your trip interesting, then you have to visit these ten places. It will give you enjoyment, and there would not be any chances of complaints and disappointments.
- Palacio De Bellas Artes- It is one of the finest art centers where you will get a wide range of artistic works and paintings. Everyone loves to visit here because art becomes their point of attraction and people get influenced by them. In the beginning, you would find it boring, but after having its tour, your thoughts will change.
- Chapultepec Castle- This castle was built in the ancient period, and it also tells you about the Mexican colonial period. Know about it, and you will feel like sharing it among your beloved persons. But if you think that it is nothing, then no one can help you with any kind of knowledge.
- Pyramid of the sun- Without any doubt, we can say that this pyramid is wonderful and it also has a better significance. In other words, you can say that it signifies the god of the sun and wants its full reflection. Make a double tick of this place in your travel diaries and mark it as a very important one.
- Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe- It is a roman sacred church where you can wish for your best thing. And if you wish it from your true heart, then it will definitely come true. There is no such person who misses this place because the opportunity might not come again and again.
- Metropolitan Cathedral- This church tells you a brief history of the early ages and gives you better information about it. After coming here, you would get attracted to its ambiance and never feel like returning back to your normal life.
- National Palace- Believe it or not, but it is true that this palace is the largest one and it covers half of the street. The moment you come here, then you will realize the importance of a famous leader during the 16th century. Have a tour of this place and know his role in the time of the war period.
- Garibaldi- It is a popular plaza where you would experience the city culture with some traditional music and shows. Just try it out and see something very different which you might have never seen earlier. But if you miss it then you would regret it throughout life and curse yourself.
- Acuario Inbursa- If you want to have an experience of a live aquarium, then this is your right opportunity. Have exposure to it, and you will find a wind range of sea creatures. It is guaranteed that you would not feel bored or criticize this place.
- Papalote- A science center for all the kids who are below ten years old. They love it to the fullest and learn about the best scientific technologies used in today's world. Whoever has visited here have given their best reviews and ratings on the internet.
- Auditorio Nacional- If you love concert and theatrical performances, then this auditorium is a must-visit for you. Once you are addicted to them then you will never have any second thoughts. Go for it, and you will get to know the real meaning of life.
Now when it comes to exploring the city, then these ten places are not enough. You have to try some of the city parks and museums as they will give you a very nice feeling. This way you can enjoy yourself on your own, and no one will interfere with your trip. So in this part, we will know about them in detail so that you do not have any further questions. And after trying them if you find any unhappiness then you can easily give up your hobby of traveling.
- Bosque de Chapultepec- Without having any hesitation, we can say that this park is awesome and is filled with greenery. The atmosphere is a sign of beauty, and you will find peace after exploring it briefly. People sometimes call it uninteresting and many other things like that, but you have to come here and form your own opinion.
- Parque Espana- It is a children’s park where you can bring your children, and they will find it fascinating. Besides them, you would also enjoy and get an opportunity to spend valuable time.
- El Tepeyac- You will see that this park is widespread all over the internet and it has a certain popularity. There is a reason behind it, and it is because of some beautiful flowers and plants. As soon as you see them, then you would like to take some of them to your home.
- Cumbres Del- This place is amazing and also signifies you about the real beauty of nature. Visit here during the daytime, and you would get a nice scenic view. But if you take it lightly, then you have missed the most entertaining part of your trip. Have a nice tour of it and see how you get rid of the pains and depressions in your life.
Unfortunately, you would not find any beaches in Mexico City. But do not get disheartened because a nearby district is there where you can fulfill the needs of your trip. Rather than having any thoughts, just try it and get an astounding feeling.
- Angel of Independence- One of the ancient historical monuments which inform you how the country got independence. Come here during the nighttime and see how colorful it gets with some of the brightest lightings. Never forget to bring your camera because if you capture these pictures, then they will remain as a memory.
- Square of the three cultures- Do not go by its name because it is a palace that tells you about the role of the Mexican kingdom. Once you discover it, then you will know how it protected the city against its enemies. You cannot miss it because a place like this is nowhere in the world.
- Museo Nacional de Antropología- This is a huge museum where you would know about the anthropological surveys in the 18th century. It also makes sure that you are aware of the people who migrated to Mexico in those days. Tourists from different parts of the globe come here and do not want to go back to their normal life.
- Frida Kahlo- People in the city also refer to this place as a blue house where you will get the finest piece of Mexican crafts. You will adore it and feel like sharing your experience with your friends and family.
- Soumaya- This museum is impressive, and the artifacts found here entice the majority of the people. You have to visit here and see something which you have never seen before. Take it into consideration and mark it as the most essential place.
It is one of the things that makes Mexico special compared to western cities. Mexican food is famous around the world and almost available in all countries. But you will be able to get the raw and authentic cultural taste in Mexico. Traditional Mexican foods are the best ones in the city and make sure to try them first. However, there are many other types of foods available in the city that you can choose to get a very good eating experience.
From street foods to 5-star restaurants, you will get a wide range of food collections in the city. Almost in every step, you will be able to find restaurants or food stalls in the city. Do not worry if you are vegetarian, you will not miss out on the delicious traditional Mexican food as there are many traditional vegan dishes available in Mexico that are better than non-veg foods. So, here is some information that will help you to find the best ones easily in the city.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Traditional Mexican food is the very first thing that you need to try after stepping into the city. There are many traditional restaurants available in the city that you can visit to have the best traditional foods served. The raw flavor of the ingredients and Mexican taste will help you to get one of the best foods of life. Here are some of the most famous Mexican restaurants that you can visit to have traditional dishes.
- Taco Crawl in Centro Historico - This is one of the restaurants that you need to visit in Mexico to get the best experience of eating Mexican foods. You will be able to get a wide range of dishes such as Mexican Spirits, Mexican Taco, and clothes. These foods are considered to be one of the best ones in the city.
- Quintonil - Famous around the city for providing very good traditional food. Some of the signature drinks in this place include Buauzontels, salsa, and others cooked in Mexican style. The ambiance and food quality of this place will help you get a very nice experience.
Vegetarian and Vegan
As mentioned before, you do not have to miss out on the traditional food in this city if you are a vegetarian. There are many veg restaurants around the city that you can visit to have very good veg traditional dishes.
It will help you to stay healthy while giving you the raw and ultimate flavor of the traditional foods in this city. Some popular veg dishes in the city are very famous and you need to try them on your trip to the city. Here are some of the delightful vegetarian restaurants in Mexico that you can visit.
- Por Siempre Vegana Taqueria - This is one of the vegan restaurants that will give you ultimate vegan dishes at a low price. Some of the best items of this restaurant include chimichurri seitan, mushroom alambre, al pastor tacos, and other dishes.
- Gatorta - When it comes to eating meatless meals, Gatorta is one of the best places to go. Mexican sandwiches with vegan meat are very famous in this place. Apart from that, you will also get some other options as well like Soyita Pibil, Milanesa, Cochinita Pibil, and others.
No matter how many restaurants you have tried in the city, you will not get the taste of street foods from them. They might serve you famous Mexican cuisines and popular dishes, but street foods are one of the best things that offer a completely different taste. Mexican street food is very famous all around the world.
When you are in the city, you will be able to find street food stalls on every corner. From Mexican to international foods, you will be able to get all of them in these stalls. Here are some of the places that you can visit to get street foods like Tamale, Torta, Quesadilla, Tostada, Churro, Taco, and many more.
- El Turix
- Street Tamale vendors
- Baja Street Food
- Frida’s Street Food
Just like the Mexican foods, there are plenty of drinks that you need to try when you are in the city. Some of the drinks are famous around the world for authenticity and raw flavor. In between visiting the popular places in the city, you will come across a variety of drinks that are local and very famous, make sure to try all of these drinks to get a nice experience and taste. From alcohol to soft drinks, whatever you choose, you will be able to stay fresh and hydrated on your trip.
After visiting all the interesting places, you can relax in your hotel with just a sip of Mexican wine. However, you need to know a lot about the drinks that are available in Mexico from craft beer to soft health drinks. Here is detailed information about all the different types of drinks given below that will help you to find the best places in the city easily.
Mexico is known for many different things but tap-water is not one of them. When you are traveling to Mexico, make sure not to drink the tap water of the city as it is prohibited by the government as per rule. The water is clean enough to be drinkable but the distribution process of the water makes the water very polluted that is not safe for drinking. Even after filtering, some harmful particles or materials might be still in the water.
So, it is best to buy bottled water from shops and drink them on your trip. It will help you to be safe on your trip and stay healthy. You will be able to get bottled water in almost every good shop or stall. If you are thinking of using tap water for brushing teeth or washing face, then make sure to filter and boil it very well.
Organic foods are very healthy compared to other foods. Many travelers prefer to eat organic foods on their trip to keep their health in check and get extra energy. Fresh organic foods are a little bit expensive but very good food if you want to get refreshed and stay safe.
However, you need to know what is the name of the best organic cafes in this city and how to find them. Here are some of the best organic cafes in Mexico, where you can visit to have Mexican organic dishes at affordable prices.
- Cafe Ruta de la Seda - One of the popular cafes that are well known for making organic dishes. This is one of the eco-friendly restaurants that come with many organic dishes such as organic coffee, green tea, pastries, and others. Make sure to eat all the specialties of this cafe to get the best eating experience. It was the first organic cafe in the capital when it opened in 2008.
- The Green Corner - As the name suggests, almost all the things that you will find in this restaurant are eco-friendly. From organic ingredients to delicious dishes, you will be able to get all of the things in here.
If you want to feel the city much better, then you will need to have some brews while exploring the city. Mexican beers and alcohol are very famous around the world. If you are an alcohol lover, then you need to try all of the different types of alcohol available in the city from local to international.
Mexican beers are very popular all around the world, some of the best brands like Corona, Big Two, and many other beers are from Mexico. Corona was first brewed in 1925 in Mexico and now it is one of the best selling beers worldwide. The total number of breweries in the city is more than 1200.
The uniqueness of Mexican beers makes it one of the best and extraordinary. Some of the ingredients lie corn, plants, barley, and others are used to craft beer, which makes it very different from all the other ones available in the market. Also, the Mexican beers have zero fruity esters or flavors to make the drink authentic.
If you want to get the best time in Mexico, then make sure to participate in all the activities. You will find plenty of them such as famous attractions, arts, museums, culture, traditions, and others. There are also many beaches, where you can visit and relax during your trip. Most of the activities will help you to get a very good time in the city and understand the culture of the local people.
If you adventure and outdoor activities, then you can also participate in Mexico. As there are both sea and mountains available in the city, you will be able to do many outdoor activities.
Some of them include snorkeling, hot air balloon riding, copper canyon tour, diving underwater, swimming, ATV riding, Veracruz riding, exploring, hiking, trekking, jet skiing, rock climbing, and many more. Make sure to do all the activities to get the best experience in the city. Staying for more than 1-2 weeks in the city will help you to do all the activities in the city.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is a very healthy way to keep yourself safe on trips to the city. Yoga is not only good for mental health but it also helps to keep the physical health very good. You will also get many different yoga centers available in the city where you can visit to get a very good experience. Most of the local people in Mexico are very health conscious and like to take care of their health without any compromise.
So, you will find many people who are associated with yoga classes. You can join a yoga class or take a 3 or 4-day package to get away from all the crowds and get your energy back for exploration. It is best to book the yoga classes online to ensure your seat and avoid the last-minute hassle. Some of the best yoga retreats of the city include Yogascapes in Oaxaca, Pachamama in Todos Santos, Haramara Yoga Retreat, and others.
On your trip to the city, you need to know what are the best accommodation options available for you. You will be able to get plenty of options available in Mexico but choose wisely based on your budget and the facilities you need. After visiting all the beautiful places in the city, you will need a shelter to rest and have a good sleep.
As good sleep is very important for traveling to get the energy back, you need to be very careful while choosing one. As an eco-friendly traveler, it is your responsibility to keep the city waste-free. One of the best ways to do it by choosing green hotels for your stay.
You will get all the benefits of normal hotels but help the city to stay free from pollution or any waste. If you are confused about which one is the best accommodation option for you in the city, then take a look at the details of all the accommodation options given below.
As mentioned above, green hotels are one of the best eco-friendly options available in the city that will help you to stay very comfortable while keeping the city pollution-free. Green hotels use different eco-friendly methods to use fewer resources. Methods like solar functions, less carbon, and others are available in these hotels that help them to provide all the facilities.
You will be able to find a lot of green hotels available in Mexico that cost less. To save your time and help you to find it easily, here are some top green hotels in Mexico given below that will help you to choose.
- El Patio 77 - This hotel has been serving good services to customers for more than 10 years. Good customer service, comfortable stay, eco-friendly measures make it one of the top green hotels. You will get all the eco-friendly things here including LED light bulbs that work on sensors, solar panels, recycled water, and others.
- Majahuitas - Stay close to nature by choosing Mahahuitasis, which is situated in green surroundings. You can rent a cabin to make your trip more exciting and stay far from all the hustle-bustle of the city.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are planning for 1 week or 2, then hotels are good for you. But when you are planning to stay more than that, you will need to choose hostels, guest houses, and other places. Hostels are almost as good as hotels but come at a very cheap price, which helps to save a lot of money in the long stays.
Guesthouses have free wifi, parking place, and all the other benefits available that will make your stay very comfortable in the city. Here are some of the best hostels and guest houses that you can book for your stay. It is best to book these hostels and guest houses online before visiting Mexico to ensure your room.
- Hostel Mundo Joven Catedral - If you want to stay in a hostel that offers benefits and pocket friendly, then this is the best one for you. You can also request rooms to get specific views of the city like the square, markets, and others. You can also share a room with other travelers and locals to stay in this hostel at a very low cost.
- Hostel Regina, Mexico City - Want to stay in one of the coolest and decorated places in the city? Choose Regina, which is known for being the favorite backpacker destination. The hostel is well decorated with arts, stickers, and lights that make it look very attractive.
If you are planning to stay for more than 1 month, then the best accommodation choice for you is the apartments in the city. You will be able to get the apartments at a very reasonable price. You will be able to rent the apartments at a very pocket-friendly rate. Make sure to check all the benefits before renting an apartment. Also, try to rent apartments that are located in the middle of the city to connect with all the places very easily.
You can take the help of online services to book the apartments before your date of arrival. Staying in the apartment will help you to get a very good look at the life of the local people of the city. You will be surrounded by local people, which will help you to know a lot about their culture. Take a look at these top apartments in Mexico city before booking one for you.
- Edificio Carso Alameda
- Condesa Suites & Furnished Apartments
- Grupo Kings Suites - Bosques de Duraznos 78
This is a completely different option for all the other accommodation available in the city. Getting very popular around the world and they have their community that helps out a lot. By choosing Couchsurfing you will be able to get a host who is also a traveler and lives in Mexico City.
This person will help you to stay and eat food in their home and treat you very well as a guest. Choosing Couchsurfing is a very nice way to stay in the city as it helps to save money and observe the daily life of the local people. You will get to learn a lot about their culture, food choices, and other things.
Also, another advantage of Couchsurfing is, the host will help you to get tons of information about the city to help you out on the trip. You can take the help of an online Couchsurfing community to find the hosts easily. Try to look for the hosts earlier than the trip to find and talk to them in detail.
All the other options are good but none of them provide you the feeling of camping in the city. As an eco-friendly traveler, you will be able to get very close to nature and enjoy your stay under the open sky. Staying at the camps at night helps to get a very good feeling on your trip.
You will be able to get a very good experience of visiting and exploring the city at day and staying surrounded by nature at night looking at the stars. The fresh air, raw natural sceneries, and birds chirping will make you feel wonderful. Here are some of the top camping spots in Mexico City that you can choose for your stay.
- Malikualli - This is one of the best camping places in Mexico city that you can visit to have a very good experience of the trip. You will be able to rent the tents, sleeping bags, and all the things from the site. Some of the popular services like a bonfire, swimming pool, rock climbing, paragliding, and others are available in this spot.
- Los Dynamos - This is a place for nature lovers and adventure lovers. You will be able to do a lot of hiking, trekking and other outdoor activities here. Food options are available with other facilities to make the tourists feel comfortable.
How to Get There
The very first step of preparing for a trip is to decide the mode of travel. You will get a lot of options available to reach Mexico City. But it also depends a lot based on your home location. If you are traveling from another city in Mexico, then you will get more options to reach Mexico City. If you are traveling from another country, then there will be fewer options available. Most of the travelers choose a flight to reach Mexico city as it takes very little time.
But there are many other ways available that come with different advantages. Here are some of the most common modes of transportations given below. No matter which one you choose for your travel, make sure to book the tickets rarely to get the seats available on the date. You can take the help of online services to book the tickets easily without much trouble.
The air might be the most chosen mode of transportation by the travelers as it helps to reach the city very fast without any complications. You will be able to reach Mexico city comfortably from both in or outside the country. While the flight helps you to reach Mexico city very fast, the price of flights is far more than other modes of transportation. You can book the flight tickets 3-6 months earlier to get a huge discount on the tickets and prevent getting on the waiting list.
The flits are very well connected with most of the other cities in Mexico and other countries. However, the frequency of flights depends on your location and availability of flights. The Benito Juarez International Airport in Mexico City is very large and connected very well. International flights are quite frequent in this airport and serve many airlines as well. You might need to break your journey if a direct flight to the city is not available from your location.
The bus is the cheapest way to get to Mexico City while offering some of the best and comfortable journeys. You will be able to get different types of buses in the city from Vip to local ones. However, the intercity buses have a lot of features that come in pocket-friendly buses. If you are traveling from another country, then it is very hard to get a direct bus to Mexico City.
You will need to break the journey to travel to the city by bus after entering the country. There are many buses that go to the city regularly, which makes it a very good option. The city has a total of 4 bus terminals at each of the sides such as west, east, south, and north. You can take a look at the online services to find out which buses are directly connected to Mexico from your location.
While the flight is the most chosen transportation mode for traveling to Mexico City as it helps to reach very fast, the train is also a very popular option that comes with other sets of advantages. You will need far more time to reach the city by trains from any location but it helps you to see the side scenes on the way, which is a completely different experience according to travelers.
You will be able to see all the beautiful places on your way to the city and feel the experience of traveling by train. Also, another very good advantage of traveling by train is, you will be able to travel far less fare compared to flights. Just like flights, make sure to buy the train tickets earlier to ensure the seat and prevent being on the waiting list. Apart from local trains, you will also get metro trains to move from the other cities in Mexico.
Another very good way to travel to the city is hitchhiking that will help you to save a lot of money and get a very good adventure. You will be able to learn a lot about the local people in your hitchhiking adventure. The highroads are very well connected with the capital city of Mexico. You have many options available if you are thinking of hitchhiking to the city. However, all of the roads are not very crowded, which might decrease your chances to get a lift.
So, it is better to travel through the busy roads. Some of the best places to do hitchhiking include Autopista Puebla in the east, Cuernavaca in the south, Autopista Toluca in the west, Pachuca & Queretaro in the North. Make sure to carry a map with you to prevent getting lost from the destination. Apart from maps, you can also carry a compass, emergency meds, and other important things on the road. Look for local people in the fuel stations and toll booths to get a lift very easily.
There are many other ways that you can try to reach Mexico City. Most of the travelers do not choose these ways as they take a lot of time to reach the destination compared to other transportation modes. However, you will be able to get a very good experience by choosing these modes of transportation as it helps to get a road adventure. Some of the most common transportation that you can choose to reach Mexico City are motorcycles, cars, and other 4 wheelers.
You will need to travel a lot of ways to reach the city and take breaks at the roadside hotels to spend the night. According to some riders who like to do road trips on the way to the destination, it is one of the best and memorable experiences that you can get by choosing the roads. If you are traveling from other countries, then you can rent a car or ship your car or motorcycle to the country and start your tour by road from the airport.
Moving around the city is very important if you want to explore the city well. You need to see all the beautiful places in the city along with witnessing the culture to get a memorable experience in the city. You will get many options available to move around the city from local transportations to cabs and other vehicles. It is best to travel by local transportation to get to the corners of the city very easily.
However, which one is good for you depends on the time you are in the city or your priority. While some of them help to reach their destination faster, others help to witness the city and every corner very well. Also, some of them are cheap to travel around the city and others are a bit expensive. So, here are some of the available modes of transportation in the city that you can use to move around given below.
Walking is considered to be the best way to move around the city. You will be able to get a very good look at the culture, tradition, daily life of the people, and many others by walking. You might need a lot of time to reach your destinations compared to other modes of transportation. But you will be able to enjoy your way to the place. Also, you can take the help of shortcuts to reach the destinations faster than others.
There are many passages and areas in the city, which are only accessible by pedestrians. Using them will help you to connect easily with your destination. If you have enough time on your hand to spend in the city, then walking is the ideal way to enjoy the city for you. Make sure to carry an umbrella and water with you to protect yourself and stay hydrated during travel.
Just like walking, a bicycle is also a very popular option for moving around the city. You will be able to move very fast without any complications. Not only moving fast, but bicycles also help to do the necessary exercise while traveling the city. In many corners of the city, you will be able to get a separate lane for the cycle riders that will help you to move easily in the city and avoid any traffic on the main road.
You can easily rent a bicycle in the city from different services. There are many available services that will help you to get a bicycle at a very low price. Make sure to ask your hotel or other modes of accommodation if they offer bicycles to travelers. It is best to book a bicycle from different sources before reaching the city to avoid any type of last time hassle and explore the city beautifully with a bicycle.
While traveling through the city, you can also help it to stay clean and pollution-free. Instead of choosing fuel cars, you can choose battery cars or electronic vehicles that help to reduce pollution very much. As an eco-friendly traveler, it is your responsibility to keep the city free from pollution and it is one of the many ways to do it. It will help you to move to the destination as fast as the fuel cars.
You will be able to reach your destinations much faster compared to other modes of transportation. If you do not have much time on your hand to explore the city and want to cover all the areas, then this is the best one for you to move around. You will be able to get an electronic car easily from the roads or book one using online services for the whole trip.
If other modes of transportation are a bit costly for you, then you can also take the help of buses to move around the city. Buses are one of the most pocket-friendly ways to move around the city very comfortably. Mexico City has bus terminals on every side that helps the customers to easily get one. You will be able to get many buses from different places that will help you to move throughout the city like Mexibus, Metrobus, and others.
Another very good thing about the public bus is that you will be surrounded by the local people, which will help you to know a lot about them like their culture, tradition, choices, lifestyle. Local buses are very comfortable to travel on and come with different features. You might have to weigh in the traffic on the road, it is better to take some time on your hand before going out.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trains are well connected through the city, and you will be able to get a very good experience of moving around the city. Compared to most of the other transportation modes, you will be able to move very quickly as there are no traffics like roads. The trains almost cover all the famous attractions of the city, which helps to cover a lot of areas.
Apart from local trains, you can also ride the metros, which will help you to move very fast to your destination. The metro of this city is very popular as it is the second-largest metro system following the New York City subway. You will be able to catch a metro very easily without any problem. You will be able to get a tram in the southern part of Mexico City that is known as Xochimilco Light Rail, which is also known as El Tren Ligero.
Sustainable shopping is also a very important and major contribution to the city as it helps to make the city waste-free. By doing sustainable shopping you are helping the local sellers to earn money, saving the city from excess new waste, and purchasing recycled items to inspire the local people about being eco-friendly.
From second-hand clothes to antique goods, you will be able to get all of the different goods available in this city. In every corner of the city, you will find these shops that will help you to increase your collection. Make sure to visit all the different markets to get a huge collection of goods. Here are some of the details about different markets for sustainable markets that will help you in your trip.
One of the first things that you need to look for in the city is the food markets. If you are a food lover, then Mexico City food markets are heaven for you. You will be able to get the raw and authentic taste of the Mexican foods that are famous worldwide. These food markets have all of the different food ingredients, food dishes, and others.
You will also get some of the small food stalls where you can rest and take a break from exploring the food market. Here are some of the best food markets in the city where you can visit to get very good food items and dishes.
- Mercado De La Merced - This is one of the largest food markets in the city that you need to keep on top of your must-visit list. It is best to visit the market in the daytime and visit different zones to get various foods. Between visiting the food market, you can also visit the food stalls to get delicious foods at low prices.
- Mercado De San Juan - Make sure to visit this market to get a very unique food eating experience. You will be able to find a lot of vegetables, fruits, meat, and many international dishes in the market.
Flea markets a very major part of sustainable shopping. You will be able to get a lot of collectibles from these markets such as old rare items, vintage, antique, and other items at a low price. Most of the old pieces are put in a usable condition that makes them look like new. There are many places around Mexico City, where you will be able to get many items at a low cost. Here are some of the places that you need to visit to get some of the best souvenirs from Mexico City.
- Bazar Santa Catarina - You will be amazed to see the antiques in this place. From vintage items to some rare goods, you will be able to find all the things. There are many small shops in the market where you can visit to have items at a low price.
Second Hand Stores
Another very good sustainable option available for you in Mexico City is the second-hand stores. You will be able to get all of the different things available in these markets from clothes to accessories. Make sure to buy from the small stores to help them in living and get at a low price. Some of the things are branded and in good quality in these markets.
The local people of the city have also started to use second-hand items. Using recycled items will help the city to reduce waste. Here are some of the names of the best second-hand shops and markets, where you can visit to get items at a very low cost.
- Bazar Centilia
- Juanita Bazar
- El Cuenco Del Budha
Eco-fashion is getting popular all around the world as it helps to keep the environment safe and use natural products instead of chemicals. Using eco-fashion helps to keep us healthy and does not produce waste as much as normal clothes. You will be able to find a lot of eco-fashion products all around Mexico City.
From clothes to shoes, all of the eco-friendly products are available in this city that you can get at a very low cost. As an eco-friendly traveler, it is your responsibility to keep the city clean while traveling. Here are some of the top places that you can check in Mexico city for sustainable eco-fashion shopping.
- Fabrica Social Showroom
- Eco Moda
Recycling is very important for all of the cities in the world as it helps to save a lot of resources. Day by day, the resources of the earth are reducing, using recycled products will prevent using natural resources. Also, recycling products are reducing the waste of the city as well. When it comes to Mexico City, authorities have taken many steps to control the waste of the city. So far, they have been successful to keep the coyote clean and recycle all the waste.
Apart from government initiatives, local companies also helped the capital city to adopt recycled goods, foods, clothes, and many more. You will be able to find many dustbins around the city that help to recycle the dumps and wastes. Also, there are many non-recyclable dustbins out in the city that you can use to dump all the wastes that are not recyclable. Make sure to help the city stay clean and buy some recycled products in the city to contribute to the initiative.
According to the different reports, the city has a total of 12,500 metric tonnes of solid waste every day. The amount of landfill has reduced very much in the past few years. The waste has come down to 5,500 tonnes but the government is trying to reduce the landfill by recycling it.
They are trying to convert the waste into energy and use them in different things. They have taken many initiatives to reduce the waste of Mexico City and use waste. You will be able to see different bins installed in the city, where you can dump your recyclable dumps and non-recyclable waste. Make sure to do your part to keep the city clean and free of waste.
Work and Study Abroad
The capital city of Mexico is not only popular for having famous attractions. Mexico City has some of the best education systems and popular universities around the world. You will be able to get many benefits from all the universities and courses at a low price. From exchange students to low-cost courses, you will be able to get many advantages studying here. Not only education, but you will come across many other people who are working in a foreign country as there are many jobs available in the city. Here are some of the most common benefits used by students and workers.
Exchange students might be the most helpful benefit that you can get from the home university to study courses in foreign universities. You will need to be nominated by the home university to get this facility. If your home university has a partnership with any of the universities in Mexico City, then you will be able to get the benefit of studying in a foreign country. The best thing about the system is you will not have to pay anything more than the college fee for this whole course. Many students are currently studying in Mexico City universities from all around the world with the help of this benefit.
If you are new to the city and looking for a job immediately, the Au Pair is the best option for you. No matter students, tourists, or workers, everyone can do it to earn some pocket money. You will also get a shelter to stay in, food along with the money in this service. You will have to take care of the household, any elderly person, baby, and other things for the day when the owner is out or busy. It will help out the owner of the house to do some work and you earn some money. You can look out for this job online as many people want Au Pair and theory services in the city.
Volunteering is a way to help out the city on your tour or educational tour. You have many options available to help out the local people of the city by teaching them English, cooking western dishes, keeping the beautiful places clean, and many more. It will also brush up your Mexican language and help you to get close to the local people.