Eco-friendly travel guide to Milan advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Milan, Italy.
- Air quality: 4.0 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.0 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 4.0 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4.0 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$25 - $100
- Budget per day: US$60 - $150
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
In the twenty-first century, you need to understand the impact you have on the environment and hence alter your behavior in ways that will yield a good result to the world we live in. We try our best to keep our environment clean to ensure that our activities are environmentally safe. It is equally important for you to be aware of your surroundings and the environment when traveling to other cities. One of the most important things that you must remember with respect to this is that you must always try to give back to the place you are visiting rather than stripping it of its beauty and enigma.
Milan is one of the most beautiful places worldwide, and it is known for the various scenic locations available all around the town. For this reason, this city has become a hub for tourists who come from all over the globe to experience the beauty of this city. Milan is one of the most populous cities in Italy and is, in fact, Lombardy's capital. This city is a metropolitan city with various amenities and is a great city for tourists from all walks of life. When it comes to traveling responsibly and sustainably in a city like Milan, there are a few things that you must keep in mind, which includes:
- Milan is a great city for public transportation and has come up with some of the best ways to reach from one place to another. When in Milan, you must try to use these public transportation methods as not only are these great for the environment but are also cheap and will help you save money. While you may find it to be more comfortable to move around in a hired car, one of the best ways to travel like a true citizen is with the help of the modes of public transport as you will be able to look into the life of the true citizens!
- You will be able to find some great places where you can hire bicycles. Riding a bicycle around the city gives you great freedom to go where you like and is also environmentally sustainable. You can also try to walk around the city and soak in the sunlight and the beautiful city's charm.
- No matter where you go, you need to understand that there is no way you can litter the streets. Milan is a beautiful city, and when you litter the streets, you cause great damage to the natural beauty of a location like this. Carry a spare bag to collect your trash and empty it when you come across a trash bin.
- Always try to buy from the local businessmen when you visit a foreign city. These are the only means of livelihood for these sellers. When you go to a big establishment, you are only making the rich richer while depriving those in need. You will get the most authentic products from the roadside vendors and also curate a great experience.
- When you are visiting restaurants and café, do not waste food. The food you waste could have been given to those in need. If you are unsure about a dish, only order a little portion of it.
- Respect the city you are visiting. Milan has customs and rituals that are holy to them and are quite exclusive. You cannot disrespect their culture as it would be a racist thing to do. Try to understand their traditions and be respectful in the process of doing so. When you come to Milan, you need to realise that the upheld traditions in the city are true of its own. Respecting the culture of a place is not simply respecting the environment around but also considering the well-being of the people.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality in Milan is good enough for most individuals. Although this is a capital city, this city's pollution rate is rather low, which makes it great for tourists from all walks of life. The air quality index reads 11 AQI, which is absolutely perfect for most people. Even if you have trouble adjusting to a place's air quality, Milan will pose no such threat as it is absolutely perfect for most people who travel here.
The decreased air pollution and great air quality indicate that you will enable you to enjoy many outdoor activities in Milan without any fear. In fact, it is recommended to keep your doors and windows open if you want to relish the beautiful weather outside.
Unless you are extremely allergic or belong to a sensitive population, Milan's air quality should not be posing any trouble to you. You can enjoy a good run, cycling, or even a picnic outside without any worries. However, if you are too sensitive, you may want to wear a mask to be extra sure.
Respect the Culture
No matter where you travel in the world, you must always be conscious of the culture prevalent in the City. It is important for You to be respectful towards the traditions as well as the people who belong to a particular community and must always make sure to uphold their customs and traditions. Milan has been known as one of the biggest Alpha cities around the world that has shown serious strength in commerce, design, education, art, fashion healthcare, finance, research, media, tourism, and more. This city has been recognized as a fashion capital, making it an important city for various international fairs and events, including the very popular Milan Fashion Week.
Milan has been home to various cultural museums, institutions, and galleries, making it very important for travelers and tourists who come from all around the world. Because of its popular art forms that were cherished in the Middle Ages and the 17th and 18th centuries, its remains can be seen even to date. For this reason, you will be able to find a number of exciting pieces of art that belong to the historical era as well as those from the 20th century. All this has given the city an artistic touch that will ignite much fashion and interest in you.
Similarly, the music in Milan also has a tradition of its own and has been recognized as one of the most influential centre of performing arts, which includes Opera. There are a number of Symphony orchestra and conservatories that are dedicated to music. This is the birthplace of many extremely famous musicians and composers, including Hoste da Reggio and many more.
As already mentioned, Milan is one of the most important fashion cities all around the world and is known for various Italian fashion brands, which include Gucci, Prada, Versace, Dolce and Gabbana, Valentino, and more. Here you will be able to find one of the oldest shopping malls in the world. Along with this, Milan also has quite an extensive culture to appall when it comes to language and literature.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Milan is a city that is rich in history and cultural heritage. For this reason, there are a number of fascinating and exciting places to visit when you come to Milan. As the number of places in Milan is so varied, you may genuinely have difficulty trying to figure out which are the top places you must visit. Here is a list of 10 places in Milan that you cannot simply miss out on:
- Milan Cathedral: This cathedral is dedicated to Saint Mary Nascent. This is one of the biggest Cathedral all over Italy and the fifth largest Cathedral around the world. This place is truly marvelous as it comes with some of the most historical e relevant architectural elements, which include 2245 marble statues that grace the exterior of the cathedral as well as 135 curved stone pinnacles that are found on the roof of the church itself. While the cathedral's interior is relatively dim, the exterior is bejeweled with rich patterns, including 52 enormous pillars that create a striking contrast. Along with this, the nave arc of the cathedral that has stained glass windows is one of the biggest all around the world, which makes it one of the most important places to visit in Milan. Walking on the roof of this Cathedral is one of the most ethereal experiences that you can have in Milan. You will be able to view the entire City and even the snow-covered Alps in the same breath!
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II: Shopping malls are hardly a tourist attraction, except if you are to visit the world's oldest enclosed shopping mall. This is the oldest malls all around the globe and is a revelation to fashion and design enthusiasts. This is not like your regular shopping malls but has some of the best designs and decor that makes it a historical relevance place. Here the mosaic floors, the central dome, and the magnificent blue glass ceiling make it look like anything but a shopping mall. While the interior of the mall is a status symbol in itself, you will actually find some of the most high-end fashion stores here, including Louis Vuitton, Prada, Borsalino, and much more. Whether you are into fashion or not, this is a place that you must visit when in Milan. One of the most significant traditions associated with this mall is that if you turn your heel under the giant dome right in front of the mosaic bull, it will bring you great luck and chances.
- Santa Maria Delle Grazie: When it comes to scenic buildings and fabulous architecture, Milan had the best to offer. When you visit the Santa Maria Delle Grazie, you will collect a truckload of memories that you will be able to cherish throughout your life. This is basically a painting made with gypsum preparation that is 8.8 meters wide and 4.6 meters high. It is made with oil and tempera on gypsum and is one of the most breathtaking sights that you will be able to find in Milan. This is one of the most exquisite sights, especially for painters and artists, as you will get a close look into Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper and the use of painting style that was unseen in the fresco period. It is a true delight for artists and historians and those who have an eye for aesthetics. It is open on all days of the week except on Mondays.
- La Scala: Milan has become synonymous with fashion and opera, and the biggest celebration of the latter can be witnessed in La Scala. This is one of the most exquisite places to visit in Milan and one that will truly make you feel like royalty. This is one of the most prestigious operas around the world and is a treat to the eyes. It was constructed by the famous architect Giuseppe Piermarini in a fashionable neoclassical style. Since its first production of "L’Europa Riconosciuta,” this has been known as a famous opera house in the year 1778 by Antonio Salieri. It is a magnificent red and golden opera house with the most vociferous acoustic that brings out the best of the singers and performers. If you can, try to catch a live show here for the most high-end experience of your life.
- Navigli Lombardi: The canal system in Milan was started in the 12th century in order to make the irrigation system better. It was then expanded in 1300, which made it possible to transport goods with this system's help. This facility was available until the 19th century, after which it has now become one of the biggest tourist attractions in Milan. As a tourist, you will be able to cruise along the Navigli Lombardi's extensive course and take the scenic beauty around the canal. This is a short trip that lasts only 55 minutes and will give you a great opportunity to feel rejuvenated and appreciate this great City's beauty. The tourist boats depart from the port of Darsena that has historical relevance in itself. You can also spend your time appreciating performing art on this luxurious trip.
- Piazza Dei Mercanti: As it has already been mentioned, the ruins of historical ages can still be seen all around Milan in the most fashionable manner possible. This is one of the best places to roam about, especially at night. This used to be one of the most important administrative centers in the City during the middle ages and has now become an important place for sightseeing at night. This place gives you a glimpse of the medieval period and their nightlife as well. The Broletto Nuovo from the 13th century stood in the center of the square and now creates a boundary on the square's north Eastside. The buildings all around have not changed Much, and bear resemblance from many centuries ago. The Southeastern side of the square has the Loggia degli Osii. This is the place from which authorities used to address the common people from the various balconies. The square has now become a festive corner with a Christmas market during the winter season.
- Duomo: Milan has much to offer when it comes to architectural delights. The Duomo is one such structure situated in the center of the city, right in the middle of Piazza del Duomo. This is one of the most architecturally magnificent buildings all around melon and has been constructed with pink-toned white marble previously bought from the quarries LakeMaggiore. This place is of extreme historical relevance as it was built in 1386 and has not gone through many transformations since then. It is also the biggest Cathedral in Italy, making it an extremely important monument in Milan. You must go up to the roof of the cathedral to catch a breathtaking view of the city!
- Teatro Dal Verme: This is a place that you must save for your nighttime adventure in Milan. This place is a true delight to be in, especially at night, as it truly opens up the place's beauty and magnificence. The building was engineered by the famous architect Giuseppe Pestagalli, explaining the important building for those interested in historical architecture. This is one of Milan's primary locations, where you will be able to enjoy live music, rejuvenating plays and dramas, concerts, and much more. This is also a place for various exhibitions making it an extremely important place for art lovers.
- Castello Sforzesco: This most favorite location for sightseeing among tourists and one that will take most of your day. There is much to see and enjoy her, so make sure that you reserve an entire day for this place. The Visconti family previously held the structure that ruled between 1277 to 1447, and the Sforza family that ruled Milan between 1450 to 1535. This structure was originally built in the year 1368 and was later rebuilt again in the year 1450. Along with it, this building and the structure are of great historical significance and have been an extremely important place all over Milan. The Torre de Filarete that is 70 meters tall, was rebuilt and reinstated in 1905 as a reproduction of the original gate that towered the structure. Within this historic structure, you will be able to come across the Musei del Castello Sforzesco, a collection of museums housing some of the best art exhibits in all of Milan.
- Sant'Ambrogio: This is a church with great historical relevance as it was created in the year 386 by Saint Ambrose, who is also the city's patron saint. This Church epitomizes Romanesque architecture and is a great place for those who show passion for art and culture. It was built around the choir in the twelfth century and used to be a church in the ninth century. When you visit this church, you will surely have a lot to see and marvel at. The portico, the beautiful atrium with capitals from carved stones, and the portal tanks are all examples of the Roman influence in the city's architecture. This is one of the most beautiful places that will excite architects and designers and those interested in design, making it a tourist spot of great excitement.
When it comes to Milan, there is a lot to do when you are traveling here. Being one of the most important places when it comes to history and architecture, and being one of the major fashion hubs in the world, Milan has much to offer to those who come from all around the world. If you have the opportunity to visit Milan, you will not regret it!
It is always rejuvenating to have some time alone in close association with nature. While there are a number of monuments and galleries to roam around in Milan, you sometimes need time in one of the many beautiful City parks that are spread all over the place. These parts are great for a casual stroll and a perfect destination for a family picnic. Some of the most exciting City parks and Milan are as follows:
- Sempione Park: This is a beautiful Park in the City that has been landscaped by Emilio Alemagna, making it an extremely luxurious and beautiful park in Milan. At the same time, it has an extensive area full of greenery, making it perfect for some time to relax and have fun. There are also other structures, which include a beautifully structured tower, an aquarium, a municipal library as well as a theatre.
- Parco Monte Stella: This Park is becoming more famous with tourists as the days go by. This part has now been known for its sunset view because it is very close to the hilltop. The best part about this part is that it is family-friendly and offers a great experience to visitors.
- Park of Basilicas: This park in Milan has a great mix of modern as well as traditional in the greenery that it holds. This is a rather compact and urban green space that consists of a huge lawn along with two basilicas. If you have a little pet along with you, the dog area that is offered in this part makes it perfect for them as well.
- Cave Park: This is one of the most scenic parks that you will come across in Milan.along with the beautiful greenery or around, it is also known as a wildlife park and was a location for a former quarry. There is a huge lake in this park that adds to the beauty of the location and also comes with a running and biking trail. You will also be able to find here bocce ball courts for a game or two!
When it comes to National parks, there are not many around Milan or Milan. While there are a number of City Park situated all around the city, this place is not known for its geographic features or wildlife. One of the most important national parks that are very close to Milan is just an hour away and is known as the Val Grande National Park. This is one of the most expansive regions of wilderness all around Italy and is located close to the Alps mountains.
The City Park has some of the most beautiful streams, grassy meadows as well as some Rocky peaks in the staggering distance. If you have a keen interest in learning about nature, including flora and fauna of a place, this is the perfect destination for you in Italy. Many people enjoy a beautiful hike in the park, especially during the autumn months, because the deciduous foliage is best during these times. If you like to be in close association with nature, this is definitely the place for you!
The scorching heat and humidity in Milan can sometimes make it very difficult for travelers to have a good time. However, there is something very pleasant about Milan that makes your experience absolutely beautiful. There are a number of beaches in Milan, the cool blue waters, and the breeze of which will help you to get refreshed in no time at all.
- Bergeggi: This is a free beach that is popular for its clear and turquoise Bluewater. This beach is an amazing spot for a quick swim, and there are also clips nearby where you can go driving or hiking. It comes back with all amenities such as nearby showers and cute eateries.
- Alàssio: This is a simple yet elegant beach overlooking Gallinara Island. This is an extremely beautiful spot that is quiet, with the sound of water crashing being your only company. There are a number of very well known restaurants here where you will be able to enjoy live music and great food.
- Finale Lìgure: This beautiful place with white Sandy beaches is one of the best places to get rejuvenated in Milan. There are spas and restaurants where you can pamper yourself for a relaxing massage. The beach and itself are absolutely refreshing and will help you to say goodbye to your worries.
- Monterosso al Mare: This is one of the most visit beaches that you will ever come across. It has a plethora of Rocky formations that make this beach even more exciting. While you can enjoy the public beach, the private beach is more luxurious and is pebble covered. The best part about the beach is that you can rent sunbeds and also enjoyed the aromatic foods and drinks available here.
- Lèvanto: This beach has both private and public sections where you will be able to find sunbaths as well as umbrellas to have a blissful stay. This beach is also great for snorkeling as it has extremely clear water and a myriad of species of fish and aquatic animals to get your eyes on.
- Noli: These beaches are popularly known as the fisherman's beach and have a great Vibe. You will be able to see a number of fishing boats offering the most splendid view here. As it is a fishing area, you will be able to find fresh food in the nearby market. There is also an arrangement for public showers on the free beach that you can enjoy.
Being one of the most exciting places for tourist who travels here from all around the world, Milan has a number of landmarks that makes it extremely noticeable. This is a place of art and culture, traditional and modern, young and old, and much more. You will be able to find some of the best places with Stella's views and a comfortable experience. While some of the most notable landmarks are already been discussed or will be discussed in the later segments, here are some more that you must keep an eye on:
- Pinacoteca di Brera: The Renaissance Palazzo di Brera was built between the years 1651 and 1773. It was initially known just as the Jesuit College, but since the year 1776, it has been known as the Accademia di Belle Arti academy of fine arts. It houses one of the most important museums in Italy and is now home to various art pieces that have been collected from churches that have been closed. There are a number of notable works here that make this place extremely lucrative for tourists.
- San Maurizio and the Archaeology Museum: The interiors of the San Maurizio Church has been accepted as one of the most beautiful places and Milan by many. It was built in early 1500, the church that was dedicated to Benedictine nuns. This Church's interior is covered with biblical scenes, and the paintings are extremely vivid and realistic. It was built over the ruins of a Roman circus, and the ruins of the Roman walls still exist, which has now been transformed into Civico Museo Archeologico aur an archaeological museum. While the Milan history is quite vivid here, you will also be able to get glimpses of Etruscan, Greek as well as Roman history.
There are many other popular landmarks all over Milan, as well as places that not many know about. Going on a little ride along the roads of Milan will take you to some of the most extravagant locations that you can only imagine.
As already mentioned, Milan is one of the best places for art and art lovers. Because of the historical relevance and the various artists, so have blessed this place with their presence, which is a number of museums all over Milan. The museum here simply do not ascribe to art galleries but also various special interest museums. Some of the most important museums in Milan are as follows:
- Museum of the Risorgimento: This Museum is located emits Milan's historic center in a brilliant townhouse. This is is a compact Museum that basically focuses on the conception of Italy as a nation, which has been referred to as Risorgimento or Italian Unification. There is a permanent collection of Prints, weapons, sculptures, paintings, and much more that belong to the time frame between the first campaign of Napoleon Bonaparte into the Italian territory in the year 1796 up till The annexation of Rome in the year 1870.
- Armani/Silos: This Museum has been dedicated to Giorgio Armani, one of Italy's most celebrated fashion designers. Those with a liking for the global fashion market will have a great time in these four storied museum.
- Museo Nazionale Scienza e Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci: This is the biggest museum in Italy that has been dedicated to science and technology and has been named after the artist, scientist, and engineer Leonardo da Vinci. It is located in a 16-century monastery which is very close to Leonardo da Vinci's residence in Milan. This is where the famous painting The Last Supper can be found along with various other displays that are of global significance.
- MUDEC: MUDEC or Museum of Cultures or Museo Delle Culture is one of the newest museums that have been added to the rich cultural history of Italy. It was designed by a famous architect David Chipperfield and was inaugurated in the year 2015. It has some of the most widespread cultural and historical exhibitions on various topics such as Chinese immigration, African history, contemporary art as well as modern art.
- Museo di Storia Naturale di Milano: This is one of the oldest most compelling civic museums in Milan that was established in the year 1838. This Museum was a very important reputation and is extremely expensive. It has been divided into various sections, such as zoology, history, paleontology as well as mineralogy. This is a versatile Museum where you will be able to have an immersive experience.
- Villa Necchi Campiglio: This is one of the most interesting places for those who have a keen interest in interior design or architecture. This masterpiece was designed by the famous architect Piero Portaluppi in the 1930s. You will be able to enjoy the various art deco furnishings along with a large collection of art pieces that are housed in this building. It is one of the most stylish places that one can set eyes on.
If you love to eat and even if you are not an avid food lover, you will be able to find some of the most fun places to eat here in Milan. Milan has in store some of the most exquisite cuisines that you can enjoy with your friends and family. Even if you love to have vibrant nightlife, Milan has a robust selection of pubs and bars for you as well. When you come to Milan, you come to experience world-class experience, even when it comes to eating out!
Traditional Local Restaurants
It is not difficult to find mouth-watering food in Milan. However, if you are looking for authentic food close to the history of Milan or Milanese food, you might have to look around a little. However, there are some extremely luxurious places where you will be able to find the best of traditional local food in Milan.
- La Madonnina: This is a trattoria with a rustic atmosphere, and we'll take you back home. There is a table set up both in the interior as well as outside overlooking a courtyard, under a pergola. This place has to offer some of the best Milanese food, and the best part is that the menu is edited every day. You will be able to enjoy the famous risotto, ossobuco and more here.
- Antica Hostaria Della Lanterna: This is one of the most popular Milanese restaurants here. You will be able to enjoy handmade fresh pasta such as gnocchi, macaroni, and more, along with vibrant sauces such as sausage and tomato, pistachio, and gorgonzola, roasted chicory, and more. The luxurious stew, the steaming pork cutlet, and the exclusive desserts are truly to die for.
- Enoteca Regionale Lombarda: This restaurant will provide you with a plethora of flavors that will help you to experience unami in your mouth. Apart from the traditional risotto and ossobuco, you will also be able to find stuffed squash, braised beef with polenta, tortellini, cotechino, vegetable minestrone, and much more.
- IL Solferino: This is a restaurant established in 1909and has been serving some of the most traditional dishes in Milan. While you will be able to enjoy various seafood, there is also an impressive side of vegetarian dishes. While the restaurant has gone through a major renovation, it is still elegant and extremely quaint.
- Trattoria Arlati: This restaurant used to be a local tavern that was renovated and modified into a restaurant many years back. This restaurant has been a common spot for Milanese people from all walks of life. It has now become a place for fun and frolic as it also features live music that you can enjoy here.
There are some other traditional local restaurants that you must try to visit, which include: Antica Trattoria Della Pesa, Al Matarel, La Libera, La Pesa Trattoria Dal 1902, and many more.
Vegetarian and Vegan
Milan is a great place if you follow a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle. You will be happy to know that there are a number of vegetarian as well as vegan restaurants all around the city. In fact, most restaurants have a vegetarian or vegan option that will help you to navigate around the city. Do not worry, and you will have much to choose from apart from salads!
- Osteria al 55: This is one of the best vegetarian restaurants in Milan, and the food here is absolutely amazing. You will be able to find your creative and luxurious dishes that are fresh and locally sourced.
- Capra e Cavoli: Although this is not an exclusively vegan restaurant, as there are some meat options as well, you will be able to find some exquisite vegetarian and vegan dishes that will simply leave you asking for more. Not only will you be able to find your good dining options, but given the deserts here are truly a gem.
- La Vecchia Latteria: This is a budget-friendly and tasty option that is available right in the middle of the city. While this may not be the fanciest of restaurants, you will be able to find here some of the best vegetarian and vegan options.
- Joia: While you may get a little what it is this is a Michelin starred restaurant, you will be happy to know that the tasting menu of this restaurant during lunchtime was quite cheap. You will be able to experience some of the most mouths watering vegetarian dishes, and it even finds a vegetarian option of four grass!
- V3 Raw: This is an extremely exciting vegan bowl restaurant that you will be able to find in Milan. You will be able to find breakfast bowls, those fit for your lunchtime, and the freshly squeezed juices are a must-have here.
- RadiceTonda: This was, in fact, the first vegan restaurant established in Milan and is still one of the best here. You will be able to enjoy tacos, vegan sweets, vegan burgers, sandwiches, and much more.
There are many more vegan and vegetarian restaurants all around Milan, which include Govinda, I Lovegetarian, Soul Green, Shaolin State of Harmony, and more.
The true essence of a place is understood by the delicious street food that is available in a city. Milan has recently seen the introduction of various street food vendors who have brought diversity to the city. The street food has made it possible to make the city even more vibrant with its cultural aspect. It has made the city much more inclusive and has introduced a great number of exceptional flavors in the town. Some of the most famous Street foods available in the following places:
- Maido: This place offers some of the most exciting street food from Japan. The nourishing and light food is the perfect way to keep you on your toes when out for vacation.
- Luini: This street food corner has become so important to the traditional aspect of Milan that is now considered an institution and itself. It serves some of the best panzerotti, which is basically folded pizza dough that is stuffed with different ingredients and then fried. If you have not tried this, it is something that you must consider.
- Sciatt à Porter: This eatery brings the mountain cuisine close to home. You can enjoy various special foods such as buckwheat pasta, buckwheat croquettes, and much more. The street food here is to die for, and you will be able to enjoy a great time with your friends and family.
Other famous street food joints include Sorry Mama, Al Pizzetta, The Bagel Factory, and more.
Milan has a robust nightlife, and even a day of casual relaxing on the beach can be blessed with some great cocktails. You will be able to find great bars and pubs with some of the most magical alcoholic drinks to enjoy.
However, if you are a teetotaler, you will also be able to enjoy freshly squeezed juices all around the city, and there are also various cafes for tea and coffee.
As of the guidelines established in 2020, the public tap water available in Milan, as well as all over Italy, are safe for human consumption. However, if some tap waters are unsafe, they are marked by government officials.
You will be able to find some of the best organic cafes in Milan. The reason why organic cafes have become really popular in Milan is that the vegan lifestyle is being adopted by many people in the City. The best part about these organic cafes is that all the ingredients are locally sourced from farmers. Some of the well known organic Cafe is as follows:
- Toasteria Italiana
- El Brellin
- Naturalmente a Milano Rigoni di Asiago
The best part about coming to Milan is that you will be able to find something suitable for you no matter what your lifestyle. There are a number of organic cafe beside the ones already mentioned, and they can provide you with an exclusive experience at all times.
Alcoholic beverages have become a part of culture and tradition in Milan. People often enjoy such beverages at night clubs or beaches, making it very important for breweries. There is hence a number of breweries available all around Milan. Some of the most important breweries of Milan are as follows:
- Birra Artigianale
- La Buttiga Beer Room Sarpi
- La Birrofila
- Hic Enoteche - Sidoli Bistrot
- Birrificio La Ribalta
- BAM Brewery pub & beer shop
Milan is a great place for tourists as it is always brimming with opportunities and new experiences that you can take home. There are a number of activities that are available for you to enjoy when you are visiting Milan. While sightseeing is an obvious activity that is planned out for those who work coming to Milan for the first time, there are also other things that you might find interesting here. Some of the most fun ways to spend your time here are relaxing on the beach or enjoying a snorkeling session on one of the beaches. If you have always wanted to spend a relaxing time in parks and gardens, Milan has a lot to offer in that aspect as well. All in all, when you are in Milan, you will have the best experiences lined up for you.
Yoga and Retreats
There is not much information available when it comes to yoga and retreats in Milan. However, yoga is a practice that is not undermined in the city, and there are quite a number of yoga retreats that you will be able to find once you start your interaction with the locals. Once you come to Milan, you will have to move around the city to find some of the Retreats that appeal to you. Milan is a city that has cultures and traditions from all over the world, so you will be able to find attractive opportunities to immerse yourself in.
Milan is one of the busiest and most important cities in Italy and is a capital city itself. For this reason, there is quite a lot of people visiting this amazing City on a regular basis. For this reason, you will be able to find a number of accommodations that are available. While some people want to stay at high-end hotels and resorts, there are also budget options available for those who like to travel without burning a hole in the pocket.
Whether you want to stay there for a month or just a few days, you will be able to find just the perfect hotel for you all around the city. The tourism and hospitality industry is one of the most important in Milan, which makes accommodations one of the most important tools of livelihood for a number of people. The localities of the city are extremely welcoming and will help you to find proper lodging for your stay in the City.
It does not matter whether you are a tourist or have come to Milan for a business purpose. Accommodations of all kinds of activities available throughout the city at all times of the Year. This makes it very easy to find a place to stay in a busy city like Milan. However, it is always better for you to make reservations before you reach the city. Even if you cannot make reservations, there is nothing to worry about, because there is always a place for people to stay in this beautiful city.
When traveling around the world, it is important for us to be conscious of the environment that we have going to live in. For this reason, it is always better to find sustainable hotels and resorts that make use of green energy and will help you to lead a sustainable stay. Green hotels have some facilities that are exclusively available in such a sustainable establishment. As a traveler, you must always be aware of the surroundings that you are in, which makes it very important for you to look for the best green hotels. Some people have the misconception that these green hotels are more expensive than regular hotels. However, this is not true. There are quite a lot of affordable options when it comes to green hotels in Milan. Some of the best hotels that you can try in Milan are as follows:
- Starhotels E.c.ho.: This hotel is located in one of the most prime locations in Milan. The rooms are clean and comfortable, making your stay even better. It is also very close to the nearby train station making it even better. With some of the best green initiatives and proper waste management procedures, this hotel has made a name in the eco-friendly hotel community.
- ECO HOTEL LA RESIDENZA & BIO RESTAURANT: If you are looking for an eco-friendly hotel, this is the perfect option for you. Not only has this hotel developed some of the best eco-friendly and sustainable methods for travelers to have a good experience, but it also has some of the best cleanrooms in Milan. Most people who have visited this hotel have good things to say about the staff, which is, of course, a sign of relief!
- Hotel Milano Scala: This is another extremely well-known hotel, and it comes to sustainable efforts into making your stay eco friendly. The hotel has incorporated various eco-friendly strategies that have made it quite popular. The rooms are essentially well organized and decorated, which will provide you with a great stay and a luxurious feeling. You will also be able to enjoy the other essential services that are available here!
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels and guest houses are the best options for those looking for some reasonable options to stay in Milan. You will be happy to know that there is a huge number of hotels and guest houses that you will be able to share with other people. It is a great way to build a community of your own and also make friends on the go. Even if you are a private person, these hostels and guest houses can offer you an excellent service that will help you to have a quiet and peaceful stay. There are a vast number of such establishments, which are as follows:
- Guest Houses
- Mondekò Luxury Suites
- Boutique Centrale Sant'Andrea
- AHD Rooms
- Vivi Garibaldi Studios
- Zebra Naviglio
- Enjoy Milano
- Camere Delle Rose
- Cà Bèla - Porta Roman
- Ostello Bello Grande
- Ostello Bello
- Ostelzzz Milano
- Combo Milano
- Babila Hostel & Bistrot
- MEININGER Milano Garibaldi
- Grand Hostel Coconut
- MEININGER Milano Lambrate
If you want to stay in Milan for just a few more days, you will be able to find some really good apartments all over the city. As the town is reliant on tourism and hospitality, there is not much difficulty in finding an apartment for you in the city.
You can always find brilliant ideas for Couchsurfing at couchsurfing.com. This is the best way to find a companion in your journey to Milan by finding a rather affordable stay.
With couch surfing, not only will you be able to stay in Milan without burning a hole in your pocket, but at the same time, you will also be able to find a companion to tour the city along with.
There are not many camping sites available in Milan. However, the most popular one is the Camping Village Citta' di, Milano.
How to Get There
Milan is a very well connected city owing to the fact that it is popular amongst tourists and is also a business hub.
Milan Malpensa Airport is the most important international airport to and from Milan. Along with this, that is also the Linate Airport that basically serves as a domestic airport, which is one of the oldest airports in Italy.
Reach the city of Milan with the help of various long-distance bus that links Milan to the other major cities of Italy as well as Lombardy. One of the most important reasons this is available is because of the national road network that links the various cities of Northern Italy.
Milan Central Station is one of the busiest railway stations in all of Europe, with over 120 million passengers every. This railway system connects Milan with some of the most important cities in Italy. Along with this, there are two other railway stations in this city, which include Milano Cadorna and the Milano Porta Garibaldi, which are also some of the busiest stations in Italy.
It is possible to hit it away into the city, but you will have to do your research from before. It is possible to find lifts and is actually quite famous.
The previous are the most important ways to get into the city.
Once you have reached the city of Milan, there is much to see and a vast plethora to enjoy. It is hence important to figure out how you will be able to move around the city. In doing so, it is important to take sustainable steps for the betterment of our environment.
All the weather in Milan can get humid at times, and the air quality is quite good, which makes it perfect for walking around the city. Walking around gives you the most freedom to see and enjoy the city and its rawest form.
You will be able to rent bicycles from various dealers around the city. This is one of the most sustainable and easiest ways to get around the city on time without having to lose a lot of energy.
Electronic vehicles are quite common in Milan and have suddenly become a common craze. You will hence be able to find a number of charging stations all over the city, which makes it even easier to travel using this mode of transportation.
Milan's public bus system is quite advanced and is a great way to travel a long distance. You can book a ticket for the entire day and travel as much as possible, which makes it an amazing deal.
Tram, Train and Subway
The Subway and tram network in Milan covers almost 160 kilometers and is one of the most advanced in all of Europe. You can easily book your pass for the day and have an amazing experience all around the city.
Being one of the most advanced cities in the world, Milan has shown quite a progress when it comes to sustainable shopping as well. You will be able to find a lot of items that are available as second hand and also some of the best-recycled goods. Some of these include:
- Nicoletta Fasani
There are some food markets in Milan include:
- Friday Street Market
- Wagner Municipal Market
- Asia Food Market
- ZeroPerCento - Milano Food Market - Negozio bio Milano
Some famous Flea markets in Milan are as follows:
- Penelope - interior objects
- Mercatino Filatelico-Numismatico
- Mercatino Franchising Milano Piazza Amati
- Circolo del Collezionista
- Le Pulci di Portobello
Second Hand Stores
Second hand and thrift stores in Milan are plenty. Some are as follows:
- Usato Firmato Regina Giovanna Milano
- Preloved Griffe
- Humana Vintage Milano
Eco-friendly fashion items can easily be found in the following:
- Green Fashion Week
- Laura Strambi Milano
- Chimborazo® Eco-sustainable Clothing
- C.L.A.S.S. (Creativity Lifestyle Sustainable Synergy)
Recycling as a practice has been adopted in Milan and there is much effort being put in this direction. Even recycling of food and fashion is of great pertinence here.
It is an important practice that will help you help the environment and the city you are visiting. Being a hub for fashion and design, Milan has a culture of fast fashion that is causing much harm to the environment. When you thrift shop or try recycled things, you help save the environment to a great extent.
The waste management procedures in Milan are extremely sustainable and effective. They make use of biodegradable and hygienic ways to sort waste and manage them. This has made Milan take a giant leap towards sustainability and eco-friendliness.
Work and Study Abroad
As Milan is an important city for fashion, architecture, designing, and more it provides great employment and educational opportunities to own and all. A number of people migrate here every year to study or work keeping it a busy city. There are a number of job opportunities for those who are coming from other cities or countries.
The tradition of exchange students is quite common in Milan. Students from various walks in life as well as those from various streams come here to pursue their passion.
The concept of exchange students is very well welcome here, and those coming from other nations find it quite comfortable to settle in Milan.
Au Pair services are very common in Milan and you will be able to find the perfect opportunity for you as well. If you are looking for such services, it is not at all difficult to find a reliable au pair agency in Milan.
There are various volunteering opportunities that you will come across in Milan. From providing education to helping clean up processes and even helping animals, there is a vast plethora of opportunity here.