Eco-friendly travel guide to Nantes advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Nantes, France.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$50 - $150
- Budget per day: US$100 - $300
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Nantes is one of the popular cities in France that is known for being an important part of history. Located on the River Loire, this city is home to medieval Chateau des Ducs de Bretagne, and many other beautiful attractions. This city is known as the 6th largest city in France in terms of area and home to more than 950,000 people. Every year, a lot of tourists visit this city to enjoy the picturesque view and explore the culture. Being one of the important cities of France, you will be able to find a very good experience in this city. However, there are many things that you need to keep in mind while traveling to this city as an eco-friendly traveler. Here are some of the most common and important things are given below.
- Make sure to use green hotels for your stay in the city that will both help you and the city to stay safe. You will find a lot of different options for your stay in the city but most of them do not use eco-friendly measures. You will be able to get a lot of green hotels available at a reasonable cost for a perfect green stay in the city
- Along with the traditional foods, make sure to try the street food of the city as well. The street foods of the city also play a very important part in making the culture unique. You will be able to find the street food stalls and shops in almost all the places in the city
- After exploring all the different places in the city, you can visit the city parks to get fresh air and close to nature. As an eco-friendly traveler, visiting the city parks are one of your responsibilities. It will inspire the local people to visit the green places and get close to nature as well
- Although there are many different types of transportation available in the city, you need to choose some of them which help to keep the city clean. Transportation run by fuel makes the air very polluted and harms the health of people. You can choose bicycles, electronic cars, and many more
- You will notice a lot of small shops and stalls while traveling to Nantes. Make sure to buy goods and foods from these small shops to both get them at low prices and help the local people as well. Most of the people who sell these items are dependent on tourism
Air Quality and Pollution
One of the things that you need to keep in mind is the quality of the air as it can greatly harm your health. If the air of the city is polluted, then you will need to take the help of different necessary things to stay safe. The air quality of the city is very good for travelers and there is very less pollution found in the air. You will be able to breathe freely without any problems. However, you can carry some of the things like masks and medicines with you for extra safety. If you have any health conditions like asthma and serious breathing problems, then you will need to take the help of doctors. It will help you to explore the city very well without getting ill.
Respect the Culture
Apart from all the beautiful attractions, you will be able to see a lot of traditions and cultural reflections in Nantes city. Make sure to visit all the different parts of the city and explore all the things to know more about their culture. From food to fashion, you will be able to get a very good cultural impact in this city. The diversity of the culture makes it special from all the other cities in France. If you visit this city at the time of festivals, then you will be able to get the best cultural experience. One of the most popular festivals in this city is known as the Les Rendez-vous de I’Erdre that takes place near the Erdre river.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Today you will see that most of the tourists love to visit the city of Nantes. It is among the best cities in France where you would get some wonderful places to visit. If you still have doubts about this matter then see the names which are mentioned below.
- St. Peter's and St. Paul's Cathedral Nantes - Believe it or not, but it is true that this place was established in the year 1434. It has very fine architecture and it becomes a point of attraction for everyone. You cannot miss it because it is something which you might not have seen before.
- Château des ducs de Bretagne - This is a castle which tells you about French history and that too in full details. After knowing about it you would be eager to share it among your friends. Therefore, this place is a must-visit because this chance may not come on your next trip.
- Machines of the Isle of Nantes - It is a very interesting place where you would get machine design of the animals. They are adorable and you would always love them to the fullest. But if you miss them then you will regret and gather unnecessary frustrations among yourself.
- Le Lieu unique - One of the best cultural centers where you would find some of the famous French shows. And the moment you see them you cannot stop praising them. No one misses it because it is something which can easily fulfill all your dreams.
- Memorial to the Abolition of Slavery - As this name suggests this is a memorial place dedicated to those persons who had contributed to abolishing slavery. Come here and know the best things about them in full detail. It will give you the knowledge which would be more than enough.
- Château de Goulaine - This place was made to protect the French regions from all the outside invaders. Here the armies used to come and prepare armors and ammunition for their war. Now to know more about it you have to visit here as soon as possible.
- Planetarium of Nantes - If you want to go on a journey of stars and planets then this is the most suitable place. It tells you about their formation and how they are important in our universe. This place is a necessary visit for you and everyone who has a fascination for astronomy.
- Musée Dobrée - This palace is the best example of promoting the cultural heritage of the city. It showcases a lot of things and conveys the right information about Nantes. Try not to refuse it because this opportunity will not come again and again.
- Galipy Orvault - An amusement park where you can take your kids and show them some famous rides. They are marvelous and give everyone a feeling of wow or anything above it. And it is guaranteed that after doing it you would never get any regrets or disappointments.
- Château du Coing - Last but not least, is to visit this vineyard and taste some lovely wines. They are handmade and always taste more than what you have expected. So if you are a wine lover then this place is very important for you to visit.
Now if you want to explore the city then the above ten places are not enough. You also have to try out some museums and parks which can give you a different level of fun.
- Square Élisa-Mercœur - This park is brilliant and here the ambiance is also calm and friendly. Besides this thing here you will get a lot of open spaces to play outdoor games. Come here with your children and play a game of football with them.
- Jean-Baptiste-Daviais - It is meant for those people who love to go for a long walk. By doing this they get a lot of satisfaction and then all the depressions run away from them. Make a note of this place and mark it as a very important one in your travel diaries.
- Oblate Park - If you are willing to have a picnic with your family then his place is meant for you. And after doing it your time will be spent here quite well and it would be a nice memory. Whoever visits here recommends it to their beloved persons.
- Parc de la Gaudinière - There is not so much information about this park but you have to visit here for once. The reason is that it gives you the real meaning of scenic beauty. Therefore, you will adore it to the fullest and know the significance of nature.
- Plage - The water of this beach is clean and you would be eager to have a bath inside it. So instead of thinking anything you should do it and get a very nice thrill. And without this place, your holiday trip will remain incomplete.
It is said that there are no famous landmarks in the city of Nantes. But do not worry because museums are the real examples of them. Now you might think that it is being said to get some attention or many more things like that. So to clear your misunderstanding here are the best museums which can tell you a lot of things.
- Arts Museum of Nantes - You can refer to it as a museum cum gallery where you would get some famous artworks. They are done by the best artists of France who have a better presence all over the market. Have a tour of it and you would get to discover something very extraordinary which you might have not imagined even in your desires.
- Natural history museum - Believe it or not, but it is true that this museum is spread all over the internet. It is because it has the best sculptures and portraits of prominent historians. Visit here and you would want to give your best reviews about it.
Apart from all the other things, you need to try the foods of the city first to know the choices of the local people and find out the best things about traditional foods. In every corner of the city, you will be able to find a lot of traditional and international restaurants. Some of the famous traditional restaurants in the city will help you to get the raw taste of French dishes. However, there are plenty of different things that you can get too at a very reasonable price. Here are some of the most common restaurants that you will find in the city given below in detail.
Traditional Local Restaurants
After reaching the city and exploring some places, the first thing that you need to do is visit the traditional restaurants in the city. Some of the dishes are available in this city that you will not find in any other places in the country. All of the traditional restaurants are quite available and pocket-friendly. Here are some of the most common restaurants that travelers tend to visit on their trip.
- Lulu Rouget - This restaurant is voted to be one of the best restaurants in the city. The originality of the restaurant with traditional dishes makes it one of the best places to try the cuisines. Some of the best dishes that you need to try in this restaurant are tomato fondue, grilled leeks, and licorice.
- Le 1 - This is one of the best restaurants if you are looking for traditional food. Apart from traditional French food, you will be able to get different types of cuisines available in this restaurant such as Japanese, Chinese, Indian, and European. Make sure to book your spot before visiting as the seats tend to fill very fast.
Vegetarian and Vegan
You do not have to worry much in this city if you are vegetarian, there are plenty of vegan restaurants available in the city. As many people of the city are vegan, there is a wide range of vegetable dishes available that will not make you miss out on the traditional taste. Here are some of the veg restaurants that you need to opt for the best food experience.
- L'Ethique - Known to be one of the best stops for all vegan people. Although the place is new compared to all the other ones, you will be able to get some of the best veg items available here.
- Totum Cantine Bio - When thinking about having the best veg dinner, then make sure to visit this restaurant. The price of all the dishes are very low compared to all the other places
Street food is as crucial as any other types of food that you will find in this city. After trying the French cuisines, make sure to try the street foods of the city as well. These street food dishes are available at almost all the different corners of the city. You will be able to have a very good traveling and food experience by trying the traditional street foods. Here are some of the names of street foods that you need to try in this city including Loire fish, seafood dishes, cure nantais, and many more. Trying the street foods of this city will help the local small shops a lot to earn some money and get support.
Drinks are as good as any dishes available in the city during your trip. They are also a very important part of the culture. Some of the local drinks are available in the city at very low prices that will help you to get the best help of the drinks to stay hydrated and refreshed during your trip. Most of the drinks are available at a low price and come with excellent taste. The nightlife of the city is the best place to try these drinks. From craft beer to soft drinks, some of them are not available anywhere else. So, here are some of the different sections of drinks given below that will help you to know more.
Among all the other drinks, the most common one that you will need to carry with you throughout the tour is the tap water. However, you can not do it before knowing the quality of the water in this city. If the water is not good, then you can get sick and other serious conditions can appear. So, you need to know if the tap water of the city is drinkable or not. You do not need to worry while drinking tap water in Nantes as it is completely safe and drinkable. You will find most of the restaurants offer tap water and the locals use it as primary drinking water as well. However, packaged drinking water is available in almost all shops around the city.
Organic foods are one of the first choices of people who want to stay healthy during their trip. If you are one of the travelers who want to stay safe and fit during your trip to Nantes, then you will get a lot of options. Although the number of organic cafes and restaurants are now low in this city compared to vegan restaurants. You will find them very easily using online websites. Most of them offer organic dishes and ingredients at a very low price. Here are some of the famous ones that you can visit for the best meal.
- Totum Bistro
Do you like to sip on alcohol after spending all day exploring the country, then Nantes is the best place for you. You will find a lot of local craft beers and other types of alcohols available. Make sure to visit the breweries in this city to witness the making process and take part in the tasting. You can visit the pubs, bars, and nightclubs in this city to explore some other drinks as well. Having a sip will both relax you and help you to get the energy back to explore all the other things the next day. Some of the best and famous breweries of Nantes are given below.
- BUBAR - Mictobrasserie, Bar et Cave
- Les Bières de Charlotte
If you are thinking that Nantes is only attractive and famous for having a lot of museums and exhibitions or stories, then you are entirely wrong. There are many other activities available that you can try to get a very good traveling experience. From events and festivals to outdoor activities, there are plenty of different activities are waiting for travelers to choose from. Some of the most common outdoor activities that you can take part in include boating, scuba diving, snorkeling, stand-up paddleboarding, water sporting, and jet skiing in the city. Make sure to take part in all of the activities if you want to have the best traveling experience. Here are some of the details given below about an activity that will help you to stay safe in the city.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is a very important activity that you can take part in to not only improve your fitness but improve the mental state as well. As most of the locals in this city like to stay fit, you will be able to get a lot of yoga centers available in almost all the corners of the city. No matter if you are looking for yoga classes, or yoga sessions, you will need to contact the yoga centers and book your spot very early to ensure getting a seat. Take the help of online services to book your spot and stay out of any trouble.
Accommodation plays a very important role in improving the overall experience of traveling to the destination. You will need to find a place to stay in the city that offers different benefits and a comfortable stay. After visiting different attractions for the whole day, you will need to rest very well to get back the energy. Being a famous tourist destination, you will be able to find a lot of accommodation options available in this city. However, you need to choose the best one among them based on your budget and requirements. Here are some of them given below with details that will help you to know which one is the best for you.
Green hotels are known to be an eco-friendly way of staying that helps to offer an excellent stay along with keeping the environment clean. You will be able to find a lot of green hotels in the city that come in a pocket-friendly range. Based on the facilities and benefits, the price range of these hotels keeps changing. You will be able to stay very safe in these hotels as they use recycled water from all the natural sources for offering facilities. Try to book these hotels in the middle of the city to get connected well to different parts of the city. Also, it is best to book the tickets as early as possible to ensure your rooms in these hotels as they tend to fill very fast by travelers.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Apart from hotels, you can also choose to stay in the guesthouses and hostels. The best thing about staying in these is that you will be able to choose from a low to an expensive range of price. If you are planning to stay for a long time in the city, then you can choose to stay in low-cost guesthouses and hostels. Although luxurious guest houses are available in the city as well. If you want to lower the cost of the stay, then you also have the option to share the hostel rooms with other travelers or people. Just like other modes of accommodation, you will need to book the hostels and guest houses earlier to get a room.
Compared to all the different types of accommodation, apartments are the most chosen one by travelers who want to stay in the city for a long time. If you are planning to stay for more than one month, then it will help you save a lot of money. The best thing about staying in apartments is that you will be able to witness the culture and traditions of the local people up close. Many local people choose apartments to stay in the city and you will be surrounded by them. So, if you are traveling to know the culture and traditions of the local people then this will help you a lot. Unlike all the other modes of accommodation, you do not have to book the apartments online, as they are available very well.
Couchsurfing is new compared to all the other mods of accommodation, but if you want to save a lot of money on accommodation, then this is the best option for you. Not only saving money, but you will also be able to stay like a local in the city. Using this, you can stay at the house of a traveler who is local to the destination city. The host traveler will offer you both shelter and food during your whole trip. It will help you to know a lot about the culture of the local people along with much other information. Make sure to look for Couchsurfing hosts using online services to find them and contact them easily.
Camping is known to be the most adventurous way of travel that helps you a lot to both know more about the place and enjoy nature. You will find a lot of camping spots available in the city in different locations. Like all the other accommodations, you will be able to find a lot of facilities and benefits in these camps. Make sure to book the camps as early as possible to prevent any type of hassles and get your spot easily. You can take the help of online services to book your camps. Here are some of the most famous camping spots in the city given below.
- Nantes Camping
- Camping Belle Rivière
How to Get There
Before anything else, you need to know different ways of reaching the city. You need to choose the best way of transport based on your budget and time on hand. While some of them might not be available from your home, you will need to break your journey based on your location. However, some of them help to reach faster destinations and others reach the destination slowly. Being one of the important cities of France, the city is very well connected to all the different corners. Here are the most common chosen ways by travelers to reach Nantes given below.
Air is known to be one of the best ways to reach Nantes for saving a lot of time and getting a comfortable journey. You will be able to get a flight to this city from most of the places. The best thing about traveling by flight is you will need a lot less time compared to other modes of transportations to reach the city. However, the price of flights is much higher. Also, you will not be able to see the different scenic beauties on your way to the city.
Buses are the cheapest way to travel to the city from other places. However, you might not be able to get a direct bus to travel to this city from places that are located very far. You will need a lot more time to reach the city by bus compared to the train. During the journey, you will be able to enjoy all the beautiful sights on the way. Make sure to have some extra time on your hand while traveling by bus as traffic on the road can make you late.
If you are traveling from most of the nearby places, then you will be able to get to this city by train very easily with a unique experience. You might need to break the journey and reach by train to this city after entering the country. Make sure to book the train tickets earlier to ensure your seat.
Hitchhiking is known to be the best way of traveling without spending your money. You will be able to hitchhike to Nantes from different places very easily as the city is well connected by road. It will help you to get a very adventurous journey but takes a lot of time to reach the destination.
There are other ways available to reach the city from different places but they are not very popular. You will come across some of the people who traveled to the city using other ways such as riding motorcycles and cars by the road. Most of these take a lot of time to reach the city. So, make sure to have some time on your hand before going out using these.
Moving around plays a key role in making your trip exciting. You will need to choose a mode of transportation that helps you to explore the different places of the city very well. While some of them help you to move faster to different locations, others help you to explore all the different things on the way. Here are some of the most common ways of moving around given below.
Walking is known to be the best option for exploring a city. Being a popular tourist destination, you will be able to explore the city very well by walking. You will need a lot more time to reach the destination by walking but you will be able to explore the different things very well. However, there are some things that you need to keep in mind such as carrying an umbrella, water, food, etc.
You can explore the city very well by bicycle while keeping it out of pollution. It is one of the eco-friendly choices that will both help you and the city to stay safe from pollution. You will be able to get them at rent from many different services around the city. There are plenty of different places available that you can visit by cycle, which are not accessible by other transportations.
Electronic vehicles are one of the best eco-friendly modes of transportation that helps to keep the city out of pollution. You will be able to get these cabs available in the city very well. Take the help of online services to find these cabs easily and prevent any last time hassle. While traveling by electronic cars, make sure you have some extra time on your hand as the traffic can make you late to reach your destination.
No doubt buses are the cheapest way to travel in Nantes and also very well available. You will be able to visit every corner of the city very well by traveling by bus. However, the best thing about traveling by bus is that it helps you to observe the daily lifestyle of the local people as well. You will be able to travel alongside the local people and become friends with them.
Tram, Train and Subway
Both trams and trains are very well available in this city and you can take the help of them to visit different corners easily. Although the city is not well connected by subway, it provides a good traveling experience. It is best to check the timetable of both trains and others to travel easily.
Sustainable shopping is the best way to both shop for different goods from the city and helps to keep the city out of pollution. There are many markets available in the city that you can visit to buy some of the best sustainable goods at very low prices. Here are some of them given below in different sections that will help you in your shopping.
There are plenty of food markets available in the city that you can visit to get seasonal vegetables and other ingredients. In most of these markets, small shops and food stalls are available that you can visit to have some good street foods in between exploring the market.
Flea markets are one of the best stops for you if you are looking for vintage items and antiques. Some of the flea markets are available in this city that you can visit to make your collection exclusive. However, you need to visit these markets very early as things tend to get sold very quickly.
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand items are as good as new ones and it helps a lot to reduce the overall waste. Instead of buying a new one, you can choose to buy second-hand clothes or accessories that will both save the resource and reduce the waste production. You will find many second-hand shops available in the city that you can visit to get high-quality items.
Eco-fashion is a new eco-friendly way of living that helps you to stay away from any harm caused by chemicals. Instead of using chemicals, these fashions are made using natural resources like natural extracts, and others. You will find these eco-fashion items available in many places in this city.
Recycling is the best way to keep the city free from any pollution and improve the environment. Like all the other cities in France, Nantes took many different initiatives to recycle things. The local people of the city and many other companies came forward to recycle goods and start new methods.
The waste of the city is not as much as other cities of the country. They have taken different initiatives to make the city free of waste and reduce it as much as possible. You will be able to see dustbins installed in every corner of the city.
Work and Study Abroad
A very good thing about Nantes is that you will be able to get a lot of study options and jobs available. Plenty of foreign workers are working in the city for a long time and foreign students are increasing rapidly. Some business courses in this city invite people from all the different countries.
The exchange student program is very popular around the world and widely available in Nantes. If you want to study in Nantes using the exchange student, then make sure your home college or university has a partnership with them or not.
If you find it difficult to get a shelter in the initial stage of visiting the city for study or work, then Au Pair can be very helpful for you. It will help you to get shelter, food, and some pocket money as well in exchange for other services. You can take the help of online services to find an Au Pair host easily in this city.
Volunteering is the best option to contribute to the city by taking part in different things. You can take part in some of the things like helping the local people collecting waste, planting trees, teaching English, and many more.