Eco-friendly travel guide to Niue advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Niue, Oceania.
- Air quality: 2 / 5
- Bus connections: 3 / 5
- Train connections: 3 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 2 / 5
- National parks: 2 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 2 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$10 - $30
- Budget per day: US$20 - $80
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
This island country area is 261.46 km2. The official language of this island is English and Niuean. The majority of the people who are living here are Niuean. Christianity is the dominant religion that is widely followed on this island. The currency which this island accepts is New Zealand dollars. It is a free governing island and has relations and associations with New Zealand. Niue is not a member of the United Nations, but there are particular branches of the UN, such as UNESCO, where Niue is a part. There was a cyclone which appeared in 2004 and caused a lot of destruction, especially towards the south Alofi.
While exploring different places and the general idea of tourism is great, it is also harmful for the environment because of the way tourists travel today. It is of utmost importance to be a responsible traveller especially when we are at the verge of a climate disaster.
- Choose green hotels over other accommodation options and if you cannot find a green hotel of your choice then opt for an apartment or hostel. This is because most of the five star hotels and resorts create tonnes of waste every day including 79,000 tonnes of food waste (9% total food waste from the sector) and they do not adhere to sustainable business practices. If you choose to stay in an apartment you can work on your carbon footprint and decide on things like using no plastic, minimum waste etc. This will not only help with reducing your carbon footprint but massively help help with improving the environment.
- Eat Local food and buy the food from street food stalls or small restaurants. This is because most of the big restaurant chains or fast food conglomerates are guilty of producing so much waste and directly contributing the problem of pollution and climate change due to their harmful business models. Not only do the small business owners need the help of tourists to run their business and provide for their family but they also have ethical practices for example most of them do not use plastic.
- Use local transportation or electronic vehicles to keep the city pollution-free and save a lot of money at the same time.
- Shop local. In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood
Air Quality and Pollution
Air pollution in Niue continues to rise at an alarming rate and affects not only the quality of life but the economy as well. Niue National Strategic Plan (NNSP) aimed to increase renewable energy efficiency incentives: (ex: Subsidies, labeling, rebates, etc.) The NNSP is exploring energy-efficient products such as electric cars and solar-powered street lights. Incentives for clean production and installation of pollution prevention technologies: Actions to ensure compliance with regulations: (monitoring, enforcement, fines, etc.)Other actions at the national, sub-national, and local levels to reduce industrial emissions.
Respect the Culture
Tioga Niue, or the culture of Niue, means everything to a Niuean. The inhabitants of this small remote island in the South Pacific take pride in their traditions. From cultural traditions passed down by their forefathers to religious beliefs, there are many exciting aspects of the Niuean culture to be aware of as a visitor to respect the local protocol and enjoy an experience for yourself. There are no tourist "culture villages" in Niue, where what you see and experience is the real and authentic way of life in the South Pacific.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Matapa gap, Alofi: A stunning natural marvel, the Matapa gap is one of the few places on the island that is sensible for swimming at any tide. The water's unit protected against the ocean's worst swells and unit lightweight enough for youths wanting to snorkel. Rattling visibility at intervals the water- you may about get giddiness wanting down as a result of the gap is therefore deep. Take a stroll to the Matapa natural object, where the house has traditionally been bathed. A get within the woods takes you to this protected water area encircled by dramatic cliffs. Swim, dive, or snorkel in crystal clear waters. Wear sturdy shoes once walking through the realm as the stones area unit is typically really sharp.
- Talava Arches, Hikutavake: Walk on the arches of Talavera and look bent ocean encircled by three natural rock formations. A relatively short walk (about thirty minutes) takes you via the forest to realize this attraction. If you are lucky, you will see vertebrate whales roaming the high seas. Wear well-fitting shoes to climb cliffs. If you utilize the ability for your visit, you may dive into the rock pool.
- Togo Chasm, Hakupu: Explore the diverse and untouched nature with a walk on the African nation's natural object. Begin at intervals the rainforests of the planet coated with stony dead corals and trees and grasses grow. Once a brief time, you arrive on a slender path between extensive coral reefs: finally, landing at intervals the coconut forest. Ensure to wear sturdy and durable heels.
- Avaiki Cave, Make: Ocean water fills the karst cave basin; in keeping with legend, King Niue was the only person allowed to clean in it. Today, guests can dive into its cold but refreshing waters that mingle with live fish. The varying amount of daylight at intervals in the cave creates an entirely different blue and inexperienced reminder. You may need off your shoes once swimming as a result of the rocky soil. Avaiki cave is in a very veryll|one amongst|one in each of} those places that appear as it'd only ever exist in a very dream. The water is Associate in the Nursing inconceivable shade of turquoise, and thus the walls of the cave shimmer with a jewel-like purple hue. It's exciting. That said, like many places in Niue, its beauty belies but dangerous it area unit typically. Come on, a low outgoing tide. Villain waves bounce off the cave walls and would possibly manufacture a washer-like surge that could finish in scrapes and cuts from the rocks. Snorkeling here is average- the best snorkeling in Niue is Utako. A demand sees in Niue.
- Palapa Cave, Alofi: Walk and swim in Palaha Cave or take a dip at intervals in the natural swimming pool next to the beach. If the sunshine is correct, you will see all the colors in it - blue and emerald hues at intervals the water, yellow at intervals the rock walls, and each one the pink and purple minerals. You can take photos with innumerable stalactites and stalagmites. Do check your location to help you navigate the slippery rocks. Palapa cave is a perfect natural formation of stone and ossified corals set merely some minutes walk from a road. A short stroll down the lane over with gorgeous browse of the cave and reef. Take sturdy shoes, reef shoes, or sneakers. Stones area unit typically slippery, be careful. The torch is not needed. The cave is spectacular.
- Opaahi Landing, Alofi: Oprah Landing, where the navigator is believed to possess created his first arrange to land on the island, currently offers family activities throughout a natural setting. Placed on your diving suits and jump into the clear, heat water to explore your living world. You see an expansion of vibrant fish, shells, crabs, and even ocean worms. People that prefer to keep it upland can watch the sand lines as time goes on—floods - generally full of very few animals. Native hunters will cite their business and their city. Back in 1774, Captain James Cook tried to make landfall here. Native warriors repelled his boatmen, and Niue was named "Savage Island"... walk down the short track and film the scene. It's achievable to swim here, but you are straight into the ocean's deep waters, a favorite ocean track with native Vaka fishers. Nice sunset photos.
- Tomb Point, Alofi: Hide from the sun at place purpose and watch the boats and boats' activities at intervals the harbor. Climb the steps and find yourself throughout a white arch earlier than a tree and a roof with tables and chairs to require a seat and relax. Grab animals and drinks from the eating house across the road or let the clock fade the ocean. Some guests same they saw a family of whales participating in close to lakes. Great spot on Niue, everyone appearance to induce in here daily. Great spot to visualize the boats come back and go, the fishermen's catch and meet in numerous others. The water is full of fish here that promptly accept food offerings like bread, a bit like feeding ducks throughout a pool. Nice views of the shore reef and yacht moorings, with the bonus of recognizing a whale or two, are approachable. Collectively a district to fish and see various reefs' most spectacular fishes, even spot the occasional shark swimming around.
- Ekalesia Church , Alofi: Take a sensible photograph of the Niue individuals and their culture at the Ekalesia Temple on Sunday morning. After you visit the church, you'll typically hear English songs and chants among a stringed instrument. Ahead of the church could be a palm grove commanding the ocean. This church is found within the city center, higher than the harbor, and conjointly includes a monument to the inhabitants. A heat and hospitable church wherever everyone is wearing their best with smiles to match. Quick access because it is within the city center and situated higher than the harbor. Stunning memorial adjacent to the front doors - dedicated to Niueans United Nations agency fought for his or her country and therefore the commonwealth.
- Limu Pools, Namukulu: Snorkel or swim within the crystal blue waters of the Lima basins. The north coast of the island includes a clear ocean and offers glorious views. Don't stretch your shoes or dive on the rocky shores to ascertain the marine life; the variety is hidden to a lower place on the surface, and earthworms and different exotic species. Sturdy currents are often dangerous. Thus it takes time to achieve the cost. Limu Pools area unit beautiful- it's arduous to believe that places like this exist in nature. It is a short walk from the road, and therefore the path is well marked. There is very little space to the correct wherever they've made a bench you'll sit at below the shade cloth that is thus beautiful. The pool area unit is full of sea life; however, snorkeling is challenging thanks to the freshness that makes visibility poor obscuring a lot of the sweetness underwater. It may get rough once not at tide with sturdy, scallywag currents. Higher snorkeling at Utuko Beach, however, do not miss Limu.
- Hikulagi Sculpture Park, Alofi: Hikulag Sculpture Park focuses on world aspects of the surroundings and displays various native and international works of art, and sheds lightweight on concepts regarding pollution, temperature change, and human beingness. The park is ready in an exceedingly natural forest and guests area unit inspired to attach and even contribute to the photographs. The works area unit is mostly made of recycled and disposable things that show; however, excrement is often used as an innovative tool. Though little, the park promotes thought importance. Create the Hikulag Sculpture Garden the most a part of the Alof free road.
One of the tiniest freelance nations globally, Niue could be a significant attraction for spunky explorers. A visit to Niue shows a rugged landscape - you wish a decent boot to climb and walk to many of the island's main attractions. Their area unit several walks; however, you'll invariably rent a motorbike or bicycle and go alone on the road. If you relish a full of life vacation, contemplate reworking your Niue vacation into caves, snorkeling, fishing, hiking, or kayaking. Exploring places will not help you make memories; it will also help you find the best places to visit and cuisine to get from the best places.
- Hikulagi Sculpture Park
- Utuko Beach
- Tuapa Sea Track
- Avatele Beach
- Komachi beach
- Hio Beach
- Avaiki Cave
- Palapa Cave
- Anapala Chasm
Here you will get only one museum to explore, and that is Taoga Niue Museum. Here they will ask you to remove your shoes then enter the museum. Brilliant presentation, albeit small at this stage but fascinating and informative. A very unique and innovative place to visit during your tour to Niue. You can plan your family trip to Niue with your family members to spend some quality time with them.
The most significant ingredient you will get when discussing Niue's recipes is the fish and the vegetables. The staple ingredient is fish. Fish is ubiquitous here, and you can consume it roasted, grilled, raw, and in soups or stews. There is a broad spectrum of edible and enjoyable fish species. Nane Pia is one of the best from a few food specialties of the island. It is a translucent porridge that has arrowroot and coconut and has a thick slimy texture. The taste can be described as somewhat bland with a slight hint of coconut. Another specialty on many menus here is the large coconut crabs or "uga" ( Pronounced ung ah!) As with most crab species, the flesh is available in the large claws and legs cracked open to extract it. You can try traditional dishes also visiting traditional local restaurants here that will give you a basic idea about the taste of the people of Niue.
Lemon & Paeroa is New Zealand's very own sweet soft drink now manufactured by Coca-Cola, of course. You can even visit the big bottle. The wine you will get from Marlborough, the sunniest and driest region in New Zealand, is bound to please the taste buds. Sauvignon Blanc is Niue's most vastly produced and famous wine. Experience Sauvignon Blanc in Marlborough itself. There is a considerable craft beer culture in New Zealand. With more than 160 breweries across the country, it would be a sin not to try some of that hoppy goodness while you are in New Zealand. Here people are kind of obsessed with their coffee. Most cafes in Niue have high-quality barista-made coffee with highly-trained baristas.
This island's tap water is very safe, which means you can drink this island's tap water. However, there are around 14 villages where you must pay proper attention to the water you are drinking because it might happen that the drinking water available in that country might not be fit for drinking0. Therefore, you must always confirm with the locals whether the tap water of that area is safe to drink or not. Other than this, the water pollution on this island is very low. Therefore you can see the clear stream of water. It is an island, so it has an adequate water supply that you can use for other purposes such as in swimming pool and other domestic purposes. As the tap water of this island is safe to consume directly, you do not have to purchase drinking water bottles from the shops as t will eventually increase the amount of waste.
As this is an island, therefore there will be a lot of activities which will be related to water. Other than this, there are many trees and plants that you can explore with the help of different vehicles that you can take on rent. Other than this, there are villages where you can get an excellent cultural heritage of the island. Other than this, there some hills where you can practice some mountain climbing or other adventurous activity. You can even visit beaches as they will provide refreshments to your mind and body.
There are different types of accommodation options which are present in this country. Other than this, there are many options for staying in which are present in this country. However, some different accommodations might give a next-level pleasure and an experience in a new accommodation type. The first type of accommodation present here is Resorts, especially beach resorts, the best and the most famous resorts are present in tamakautoga. The name of the alternatives is Scenic Matavai Resorts Niue. These resorts are present on the coast; therefore, it gives a magnificent view of the pacific ocean from one side. This resort has around 55 rooms, and each of them has balconies. The majority of these rooms are facing the pacific ocean. Other than this, each room has a shower, tea, and coffee that you can make on your own because they have all the facilities to make coffee on your own. There are televisions which are present in each of the rooms. These were the features of the room now. These resorts' characteristics are that they have swimming pools, a restaurant in this resort, a conference room if you want to hold a meeting, and Wi-Fi facilities connected to the internet every time. Next to the beautiful accommodation includes a motel. These are different from hotels and are generally present on any expressway or highways. And are built for those who are traveling on these highways and need some rest. Aniki Motels are a beautiful place to enjoy your holiday as they can help you get to visit different caves, sea tracks, pools, and Limu pools. This motel is surrounded by trees, plants, and herbs, including coconut trees, hibiscus, and some local vegetation, so these motels can help you get immense freshness during your travel to this country. There are five units in this motel, and each team has a queen bed, sofa bed, and a maximum of 4 people who can stay in a single company. You can also get a fridge, microwave, cooktop, and other small appliances.
Green hotels are different from ordinary hotels because they maintain a high standard of comforting customers and the reduced harmful impact on nature. These hotels do not have air conditioners because they harm wildlife and are the prime reason for global warming. Besides this, they also consume a lot of electricity provided by the power station generated through fossil fuels' help. Other than this, the electricity these hotels consume is caused by solar panels or windmills, using solar energy or wind energy to convert into electricity. Many of the cutlery and other items are made up of recycled materials which helps these hotels to create less wastage from their side. Other than this, there are other benefits such as green hotels are covered with a lot of trees. Hence, in summer, they are comparatively cooler than ordinary hotels, which use additional appliances to cool the hotels. Plants also provide freshness and positive energy.
Hostels and Guest Houses
There are fewer hostels present in this country, and this is because there are many other accommodation options available that are easily affordable. However, few hostels are still present in this country, so that the few people who visit this island and want to experience hostel life can accommodate them here. Hostels can help to save a lot of money only if you are okay with the necessary facilities. There are many other benefits of hostels such as you can get a good company here with the help of which you can enjoy all the activities on this island. Besides this, hostels will not give you privacy because everything, including your room and bathroom, will be shared, which can be a problem if you are hygiene conscious. You always get a kitchen attached to your room to cook your food and save a lot of money by cooking at home. However, you still have to pay for purchasing the essential utilities.
There are different types of apartments that are present on this island. Other than this, flats are best in providing privacy because there will be no-cook, no maid, no room service staff to disturb you and your privacy so you can enjoy yourself with your friends or family here. Apartments are the best way to meet new people who will be residing in your neighborhood. These are the reason why a lot of people chooses apartments because they do not want any interference. Flats are best for more extended stays and shorter stays. There are hotel rooms available. These apartments also offer one hall where you can perform a lot of different types of activities, or you can relax there. More to this, there are many features like furnished rooms with large beds, a hall with air conditioners and televisions, and a modular or semi-modular kitchen where you can cook your food by bringing all the essential items from the nearby market or grocery store. Short-term apartments can help you stay in flats if you are not here for many days.
It is a free travel method in which you do not have to pay anything to the host. Couchsurfing involves a host and a couch surfer. A host is a person who is ready to give shelter to the tourists. A couchsurfer is a person who stays with the host. If you want Couchsurfing, you can even look for any host online and can contact them and ask them whether they are ready to give your shelter or not. More to this, there are some demerits that if the crime rate of that country is high, then you must not couchsurf because you will not do not know the real intention of that host. However, Couchsurfing is not allowed on this island for some reasons, and even the locals are not ready to accept it.
Beaches are allowed for camping in some countries, helping you get refreshment and better sleep at night. Other than this, there are some demerits of camping which is that during bad weather you must not camp, especially in the rainy or stormy season. While camping in the winter season, you must not always use a bonfire to get heat. Camping is not allowed in this city, and instead of thinking of camping, you can choose other accommodation option which is already affordable. You do not have to spend much on accommodation as there are different types of hotels present which offer different rooms at different prices. Camping might be a free type of housing, but the essential items such as food, water bottles, tent, and other actual products will cost much more than some rooms of hotels or even chambers of hostels.
Getting There and Moving Around
There is only one direct way to reach here, which is through a flight which is the most convenient way of traveling overseas. Waterways are also a good option, but that will take time and people, not from every country, can reach here. Other than this, there are many options to move around in the country, including walking and cycling. Next are that you can hire a car service which can help you to move around the country. Another way is hiring a minibus which can help you to move around the island.
The airport of this island is called Hanan Airport. The elevation of this airport is 207 meters, and the government opened it in the year 1990. This airport does not have good connections with the rest of the world. Air New Zealand operates this airport; therefore, there are flights from Auckland every Tuesday and Saturday to reach New Zealand, and from Auckland, you can come here. Flights are very much convenient, and without much trouble, you can reach them here.
There are no buses on this island. Therefore, you have to arrange for your vehicle to move around the island. Other than this, you can still hire a minibus to help you move around and be useful if you are traveling with a large group. It is because already the size of the island is small and almost every local have their vehicle. However, buses are a very convenient transport mode, and bus tickets often do not cost much. There are also not many companies that can help you get a private bus to move around the island.
There is no international train facility which can help you to reach a particular country from another country. Also, there are no trains that can help you travel from one city to another or move around in a specific town. This island's area is already significantly less, so building train tracks and bringing trains will be very costly. Also, the population is not good enough to support the railway. Therefore, there will not be much of the revenue which will be generated from it. So moving around through trains is not much possible.
Hitchhiking on this island is allowed and is very easy. However, if you are hitchhiking on the east side ten, you must always expect delays because the traffic which is present there is very light. Therefore there are fewer chances of getting a vehicle on time. It would help if you always took extra snacks and mostly water during summer so that you may not get dehydrated while waiting for a car. Even the island's crime rate is meager, so you can easily hitchhike here without much effort.
There are many other ways of moving around on this island. You can rent a car or hire a driver with a vehicle as four companies can help you get a car on rent. There are different ways, such as hiring a motorcycle to move around. You have to submit your id proof which will be your passport and international driving license. Some cycles are also available for rent, and you can cover a lot of distance through cycling. It approximately takes around 4 to 5 hours to move around the island through cycling. Other than this, there are minivans and minibusses which are available for rent as well. So hiring a taxi, bus, and other vehicles can be a good option because it can help you move around the island quickly.
Sustainable products are those products whose production does not harm nature by any means. Therefore, you do not have to worry about nature. Shopping for sustainable products is known as sustainable shopping. Different items come under sustainable shopping. Therefore sustainable products include food stalls where local people prepared ready-to-eat food from organic fruits and vegetables. Besides this, there are many benefits of organic fruits and vegetables as it is very much beneficial for health. There are organic grocery stores that can help you to get organic fruits and vegetables. You can purchase these fruits and vegetables if you live in any accommodation to cook your food. Other than this, there are second-hand stores that sell different second-hand products. Suppose you are purchasing any second-hand mobile or their electric appliances or gadgets. In that case, you must always check it before buying because many second-hand things do not come with a guarantee.
Recycling means reusing anything. Recycling is a method that involves Recasting different items and giving them different shapes, sizes, and work. Other raw materials can be obtained through recycling, and these materials can be used to make finished products. Recycling is very much beneficial for nature as it reduces the use of raw materials such as iron ore obtained through mining, which eventually damages the land. Some papers are also recycled a lot, and recycling paper can help save many trees that are cut down for paper production. It reduces the use of raw materials and reduces the natural resources used to extract these raw materials. Though there is no pollution on this island, still this island is dirty and untidy.
The waste management of this island is not good enough because the country is not cleaned and untidy. However, pollution rates are low because many trees can help clean the air. The country is ditty because the locals and tourists do not feel the need to clean the island. Instead of cleaning the island, they always throw garbage everywhere instead of properly dumping it in the dustbin. There are many other problems related to waste, including that waste creates a lot of pollution and consumes many lands in a landfill. The people burn the debris of their homes, which creates a lot of pollution and smoke. The government should take adequate steps to control wastage. They must establish recycling centers that can help in eliminating the waste before sending it to the landfill. Waste can be decomposed using incinerators. So, either the incinerator's size is enlarged, or multiple incinerators can decompose the biodegradable waste.
Work and Study Abroad
Niue is an independent country with administration under New Zealand. Locals of Niue are citizens of New Zealand and who enjoy the preferences on being of New Zealand. This factor influenced the decision to use the New Zealand framework of education in the Niue Schools. Niue follows the New Zealand curriculum from Early Childhood Education till the age of 13. There are just two schools in Niue. One of which is a primary school and the next is a Secondary school. There are approximately 200 students in each of the schools, and their autonomous administration department supports both schools. Each school is under the supreme authority called a Principal, and both Principals work under the Director of Education's leadership.
It is a free type of program in which the student gets free education, and the fees are paid by the college sending the student abroad. This program can help students become globally aware of different things such as ways of greeting, ways of behaving, giving respect, and many other things. There are many personal benefits of this program, such that this program can help you build your character and boost your self-confidence. This program can help a student to learn different languages, the lifestyle of that particular city l, the culture and traditions of that city in detail. Besides this, you can also learn about the treatment the people of that country give to the tourists. There are not many universities present, so being a part of this program will be quite difficult for you.
Au pair is a person who stays with the local and his family and, in exchange, takes care of their child. It is not a job because there is no salary involved in this type of work. Being an au pair can be very beneficial as you can stay in the country for as long as a year without spending anything on accommodation. More to this, many other benefits are also there that states that with the help of au pair, you can understand that particular city's culture and traditions. You won't earn some demerits from this work, so you have to pay for moving around until and unless you are moving by cycle or walking. The next problem is that you have to adjust to the family's lifestyle, disturbing your sleep routine and other daily routines. This type of work is not available on this island because the population is already significantly less, and the families have housewives who take care of the child.
Volunteering involves social work, which you do because of your hobby. There are many benefits to volunteering, which can help you reduce your depression and stress. Volunteering brings joy and satisfaction to your life. Organizations where you can volunteer involves different work. With the help of volunteering, you can meet many new people, and you can also understand other people's suffering. There are no organizations in this country that are ready to take you as a volunteer because there is already significantly less population, so there is no need to establish a non-governmental organization.