Port of Spain
Eco-friendly travel guide to Port of Spain advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
- Air quality: 5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: X5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4/ 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$150 - $300
- Budget per day: US$200 - $400
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
There are many beautiful places in Port of Spain. This and the business activities that happen in the city lead to a high influx of foreigners.
Visiting Port of Spain is always an excellent choice as you get to engage in various activities and feed your eyes. While exploring different places and the general idea of tourism is great, it is also harmful for the environment because of the way tourists travel today. It is of utmost importance to be a responsible traveller especially when we are at the verge of a climate disaster.
- Say no to plastic: One of the most effective ways of responsible travelling is not using any plastic bags. Plastic bags take more than 500 years to biodegrade and that should give you an idea of how harmful they are for the environment. Always carry a reusable bag when you are travelling so you can use it for groceries, shopping etc.
- Road over air: If it is possible to get to your destination via road then do not take a flight. Not only will that help in a massive reduction of your carbon footprint but will also protect the environment from harmful carbon emissions caused by airplanes.
- Eco friendly travel agent: There are plenty of eco friendly travel agents who are doing a wonderful job planning trips that are safer for the environment by booking green hotels, choosing the most eco friendly way of travelling and educating the travellers about the impact of their actions on the planet.
- Travel in a more sustainable manner: This means adopting eco friendly habits like using metal straws and reusable cutlery, terminating the use of plastic be it shopping bags, cups, bottles etc. While this may come off as a very insignificant step but it makes a huge impact not only in reducing your carbon footprint but also helping the environment and specially the sea life. They are the ones that suffer the most from the use of plastic and it disrupts the entire eco system.
- Keep the beaches clean: Picking up after yourself on the beach should go without saying, but just take a look around the sand the next time you're by the shore—obviously someone didn't get the memo. Stray bottles, cans, bags, and napkins can be ubiquitous along waterways, and even just one piece of litter can pose a problem. This garbage can be picked up by the wind, get stuck around the necks of birds and other animals, and carried back out to sea by the tides. Keep anyone in your party accountable for their messes, and if you encounter some trash that isn't yours, pick it up anyway and throw it away.
- Try to ride bicycles more than rented cars: This will not only help in reducing noise and air pollution but it will also help keeping you fit and healthy. Rented cars and private vehicles only add to the problem of pollution but at the same time they also deprive you from truly experiencing the place and discovering the little nook and crannies.
- Support the local economy: Shop local and eat local food. It will help the local people who usually have a very sustainable business model and organic things to sell and it will also help you in learning about the local culture.
Air Quality and Pollution
When people are traveling, they always want to know about the air quality within the city. It is sometimes a deal-breaker for a lot of people After all, no one wants to compromise their health if there is high air pollution in a region.
When traveling to Port of Spain, you do not need to worry about the air quality as the people do not engage in activities that lead to air pollution.
Air quality of Port of Spain is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
Respect the Culture
The rich history of this city attracts tourists from all over the world. You will be able to see some of the best historical places along with different stories. You can ask them questions about their unique and enriching culture but do not be disrespectful and do not look down upon their traditions and beliefs. If you do not engage in any harmful activity, you will not have any issue with the locals. All they ask from foreigners is mutual respect.
Top 10 Places to Visit
There are many places of interest within Port of Spain. Here are our picks for the top 10 places to visit:
- Emperor Valley Zoo: This is the country's biggest zoo and that fact alone warrants a visit to the zoo. It is home to many exotic animals, some that you may have never seen before. This zoo has been in place since 1952, gaining more animals along the way. It is a conducive place for both adults and children. People also talk about the canteen within the zoo where you can get yummy snacks.
- Fort George: We are sure that foreigners love to have a complete view of any city they visit. Thus, those visiting Port of Spain are not an exception. What better place to have such views than at a fort? After all, it is usually a tall building. You can have different sea views and also panoramic views of the Port of Spain at this fort. It is an excellent place to visit.
- Royal Botanical Gardens: History says that this place is one of the oldest botanical gardens worldwide. This is not surprising as it was established in 1818. Since its establishment, the maintenance quality of this garden has not diminished. It is a great place to relax and have a picnic. The scenery is always perfect, making people fall in love with this place after the first visit.
- President's House: Since Port of Spain is Trinidad and Tobago’s capital city, it is not surprising that the president’s house is in this city. Thus, foreigners can also visit this place provided they follow some rules and regulations and the protocol in place. It is right beside the royal botanical gardens, and we know that you will be in awe of the structure.
- Stollmeyer's Castle: It is one of the most notable structures in Trinidad and Tobago. It is impossible to see this place and not want to have a second look. Its architectural prowess is top-notch, enough to leave anyone envious. As a foreigner, you can arrange to have a tour of this castle. People sometimes describe it as a historical building. Thus, you will also get the story behind the history of the castle.
- Caroni Bird Sanctuary: Birdwatching is a favorite activity of people in Port of Spain. Thus, we can say that it is an active activity within this city. The best place to carry out this activity is at this sanctuary, as it is home to an array of birds. It will also interest you to know that Trinidad and Tobago’s national bird is the Scarlet Ibis. You can find it in this place. People always have fun at this place, especially as the tour guides are always helpful.
- The Red House: As the name implies, you can already tell that red is the dominant color of this structure. It is a famous building in this city, especially as it stands out in terms of architecture. One cannot help but admire this building whenever you look at it. We advise that you visit it whenever you are in Port of Spain.
- Memorial Park: It is a memorial park of the fallen soldiers who fought during the world war. You can see a picturesque tribute there whenever you visit the park. It is a fantastic park and place to visit whenever you want to get away from the city’s hustle and bustle. We are not saying that it is always quiet, but the soothing feeling that the environment gives will make you happy.
- Cascadia Water Park: It is a waterpark in the city belonging to a hotel. Thus, it always comes in handy for those who are staying in the hotel. However, anyone can visit it. The idea here is to have fun, and we know that you will enjoy the place. It does not have many water slides, but the available options always ensure that people have a delightful time.
- Archbishop’s House: This is the residence of the Archbishop of the Port of Spain. It is open to visitation from the public. The various beautiful architectural works at this place are always a sight for the eyes. We know that some of them will leave you in awe, and you may even be tempted to take a picture. It is a beautiful place to explore.
It is typical for any tourist to want to visit different places when on holiday. Those who visit Port of Spain are usually happy as they can never run out of places to explore.
There are different top-notch places for foreigners to explore and have a swell time. Visiting the Port of Spain should not be a weekend trip as there are usually many things to do.
Some people do not want to leave when in this city because they have a lot of fun. If you are still indecisive about your next holiday destination, this should be your motivation to pick Port of Spain. We can assure you that you will not regret the decision.
The idea of exploring city parks has been a long-aged tradition. Thus, it is not surprising that people have city parks on their list of places to explore when in a new location. You can also engage in such when you visit Port of Spain.
Some of these parks are:
- Wild Flower Park: The rules and regulations at this park help to ensure that it remains in a perfect state. Thus, you should follow them. It is a peaceful place and perfect for those who want to have alone time. One cannot deny that this place is beautiful, as it is always clean. It is also an excellent place to take pictures that will add to your memory bank.
A national park is a great place to explore. You can either do it as a group or as an individual. You can also learn about new plants or trees that are unique to that country. It is usually a fun and great experience.
A national park in Port of Spain is:
- Queen's Park Savannah: There are numerous activities you can do at this place, including horseback riding. Some people do not mind visiting this place multiple times during their holiday. It is a beautiful place and perfect to unwind from stress. Due to its beauty and serenity, it is also a perfect place to take pictures. One should not hear that you visited this park and did not taste the coconut water before leaving. It is conducive for both adults and children.
Sitting by the clear waters and enjoying the sand’s feel is a favorite activity for many people. It is why a foreigner is always happy to explore a beach when they visit a new place such as Port of Spain.
For some people, it could be that there is no beach in their home city. For others, it could be that they are used to the beaches in their home city and desire something new.
The beaches in Port of Spain are not located within the central city but toward the outskirt.
Some of them are:
- Saut D'eau Beach
- Paragrant Bay
You can have a fulfilled and activity packed day at any of these places.
What is a landmark, and why is it important? These are some of the questions we get when we include visiting landmarks to explore a new place.
A landmark is anything significant that can be used as a description or used to give directions. Some of these landmarks usually have stories behind them. Thus, it is not out of place to explore them.
People who visit Port of Spain will see many landmarks. It is vital to take note of them so that you can use them as a directional guide.
Some of these landmarks are:
- White Hall
- Woodford Square
- Mille Fleurs
- Hayes Court
If you ask anyone the best place to get information about an area, they will most likely reply by saying the museum. Thus, it is not surprising that museums in any place get lots of visits, especially from foreigners.
We can also not deny that foreigners have a curious mind. They always like to be abreast with happening around them, including knowing the history of the area they are visiting. There is no better place to get such information than at a museum.
We would not know the different things you like to do. However, we are sure that you will be happy to explore museums.
A museum in Port of Spain is:
- National Museum & Art Gallery: The exhibitions at this place are mind-blowing. Since there are tour guides in this museum, you will not miss out on any vital information. By the time you go back to your home country, you can share stories with others from the knowledge you gained from the museum.
Another thing that gets people excited when traveling to a new place is getting to try new meals. These are usually the local traditional foods in the area.
Callaloo is the national dish in Trinidad and Tobago. It takes on a dark green color. It can be served with various food options, including rice, plantain, cassava, and much more. You cannot afford to miss eating this meal when in Port of Spain. There is also macaroni pie as one of the traditional dishes. It is usually tasty and delicious.
Another tasty option is curried duck. You might find yourself ordering for more than one portion when eating this meal.
Traditional Local Restaurants
The next ideal thing will be to highlight some of the restaurants where you can buy and enjoy these local meals. Such restaurants are called traditional local restaurants.
When you visit Port of Spain, you will realize that you can find local traditional restaurants in almost all angles of any city. The need for people to eat is consistently recognized.
Foreigners are always in awe of the menu at the traditional local restaurants as there are many options. If you did not know, exploring the different food options is another way of having fun in the area.
Some of the traditional local restaurants in Port of Spain are:
- Zanzibar Restaurant
- Veni Mange
Vegetarian and Vegan
There is a set of people whose food preference different from others. These people are called vegans. They are always on the lookout for vegetarian restaurants when they visit a new place.
Minus the vegetarian restaurants, the regular restaurants in Port of Spain also have vegan options. They understand that everyone cannot have the same eating preferences. Thus, there are provisions for vegans.
You are not a vegetarian does not mean that you cannot eat at a vegan restaurant. These restaurants are usually conducive for everyone. You will be happy eating at any of these places.
Some of the vegan restaurants in Port of Spain are:
- Lola's Food Company
- Hardline Vegetarian Health Foods
Another type of meal that you can find in Port of Spain is street food. It will be wrong for us not to mention them in our compilation.
Street foods are those meals that you can get from roadside vendors. It is only standard that they will be called street foods.
Sausage rolls and kebabs are some of the street food options in Port of Spain. You can also get Souse. This is made from chicken feet, pig, or cow.
Bake and shark is the most famous street food in Port of Spain. It is usually served with an array of seasonings and sauces. We know that you will enjoy eating it.
There is almost an unending list of the available drink options in Port of Spain. Since the available beverages in this region are much, you should know that there are no restrictions to what you can drink.
Coconut water is one of the drinks that you can get anywhere. Some people may have tasted this before. It could be the first time for others. There is also Pacro water. It is made from boiling various chiton mollusks. Thus, they call it a seafood-based drink.
There are different varieties of beers and rum that you can find in this city. Coca-Cola and Dr. Pepper are also some of the non-alcoholic options.
Regular tap water is an essential drink for everyone. Thus, it is necessary to know the state of tap water in the city you are visiting.
If you are going to Port of Spain, there should be no worries about drinking tap water. It is usually safe since it is purified. This applies to all areas in Trinidad and Tobago.
The people strive to ensure that there will be no health complications when you drink their tap water. High commendations are given to their effort.
Some people are usually still in doubt. Thus, they go the extra mile to boil the water or buy bottled water. However, know that the water is safe for drinking.
Here are some of the organic cafes in Port of Spain:
- Naked Café: It menu is usually delightful for those who love eating healthy. Not only does it have healthy food options, but the meals are also delicious. The quality of these meals is always worth whatever you will pay for them. You will enjoy eating at this place.
- New Earth Organic Enterprises: You can get many fresh fruits and other healthy food options at this place. Those who love eating organic food items describe this place as their treasure in Port of Spain. The services are also top-notch as the staff take on a friendly stance.
We cannot say that there are many breweries or distilleries within Port of Spain. Some people usually ask how they can enjoy drinks in this city.
It is a fact that there are many drink options. You can get them at retail stores and other places. The best place that comes close to a brewery in this city is a brewpub.
One of them is:
- Tommy's Brewing Company: You will have nothing short of a fun experience at this place. There is always a friendly vibe as it gives you access to an array of drinks. You can also enjoy some delicious meals at this brewpub.
Would you want to visit a place where you do not have activities to do? The obvious answer is no. Everyone loves to visit an area that has an array of activities.
We do not know the kind of activities you love to do. However, allow us to introduce you to some water activities. Fishing and kayaking may not be the first activities to come to mind when visiting a new place. However, they are exciting activities that keep people busy.
If there are water bodies in the city, you are sure that these activities are feasible. For a town like Port of Spain, you can find such water bodies at the outskirt of the town.
Yoga and Retreats
Another popular activity in Port of Spain is yoga. We hope that you have heard about this activity before.
Some people have heard about it but have never engaged in it. It could be that it is not famous in their home city. For others, they love to engage in yoga, and it is safe to call them pro yogis.
If you visit Port of Spain, it is not wrong to describe this region as a safe yogi space. Yoga is an activity that has evolved with time in this region. Even if someone from Port of Spain is not a pro yogi, this activity is not strange.
If you desire to engage in this activity, you will see many yoga studios in Port of Spain.
There might be many things you want to put in place before leaving your home city. However, accommodation is an important aspect and one of the things that you should never overlook.
It is always best to sort out your accommodation as it is one thing that can make or mar your traveling plans.
It is wrong for a foreigner to travel without having an accommodation budget. Others complain that they do not know how to plan their accommodation budget.
You will not know how to plan your accommodation budget if you do not research the various available accommodation options in the place that you are visiting. Ensure that you do not skip this step. We can assure you that there are many options in Port of Spain.
Allow us to describe a green hotel. You can either call it a green hotel or an eco-friendly hotel. This hotel usually has facilities that do not harm the environment.
Understandably, this hotel is sometimes more expensive than other options. Thus, it is not surprising that it is not always on the top of some foreigners’ minds. However, it is wrong to do a classification when it concerns pricing.
Another fact that stands is that people do not know about green hotels. However, we are now telling you that green hotels are a part of your option when it concerns accommodation facilities in Port of Spain.
Some of them are:
- Radisson Hotel
- L’Orchidée Boutique Hotel
- The Cascadia Hotel and Conference Centre
Hostels and Guest Houses
Another option you can get in Port of Spain is staying in a hostel or guesthouse.
A guesthouse is almost like a regular hotel, but it is smaller and does not have all the facilities. This does not make it less conducive to stay. A hostel is, as the name implies. It is like regular hostels that you find on campuses. However, it goes a notch higher. Thus, it should not be surprising to find bunk beds in a hostel.
The idea is that more than one person can stay in a room. If you do not mind staying with strangers, you can go for this option. However, if you are conscious about staying with strangers, this option will come in handy when traveling in a group.
For both hostels and guesthouses, you get to share the facilities sometimes. However, it breeds the spirit of togetherness.
Some of these options in Port of Spain are:
- Tony’s Guesthouse
- Pearl’s Guesthouse
- The Little Inn
- Monique's Guest House
Some people say that staying in an apartment is a luxurious option. We would say that it depends on your ideology of luxury. However, it is not debated that you will be comfortable when you stay in an apartment.
Most apartments in Port of Spain usually have lush views. The management also ensures that it is always at the beck and call of its customers. The idea is to ensure that no one has any complaints about staying at this place.
We do not know what you look out for when it concerns staying in an apartment. However, we know that the apartments in Port of Spain will surpass your imaginations.
Some of them are:
- Bayside Towers
- Charford Courts
- Brendans Place Apartments
The idea of Couchsurfing has been in place for a long time. However, we know that some people do not understand how it works.
Couchsurfing appears as an accommodation option because it is a way of staying in a new place for free. The idea here is that a foreigner or new person in the area gets to stay with a local.
There is a Couchsurfing website where you can meet a host. Getting along with the locals of Port of Spain is not hard. These people are some of the most easy-going persons that you will encounter in life.
Couchsurfing helps you learn about the people and their culture also.
We are sure that you are familiar with the idea of camping. You know those times you crave to pitch a tent somewhere that lets you interact with your environment and nature. However, you understand that this cannot happen anywhere. There are strategic places that classify as camping sites.
We are happy to tell you that you can find excellent camping spots in Port of Spain. It could be in a national forest, a lake beach, or somewhere close to the mountains.
It could be that you never had camping in mind when visiting this city. However, allow us to be that guide telling you that you will enjoy a camping experience in Port of Spain.
How to Get There
Have you thought about how you will reach Port of Spain? If your answer is no, you are wrong. This should be one of the first thoughts on your mind. It is always ideal to know how you would reach your destination without encountering any difficulty in movement.
Understandably, people are coming into this region from different continents and places. Thus, we cannot give specific means of movement. However, we will highlight some of the means of transport you can use to get into Port of Spain. The idea here is to ensure that you have a stress-free journey. Knowing how to get there is always vital knowledge.
We do not know if there is anyone that has never heard of using air to travel. It could be that it is even your preferred means when traveling. If this is the case, we know that you will be happy to know that using air is a way of getting into Port of Spain.
There is an airport in Port of Spain. It is about 45 minutes from the city center.
It is home to flights that operate different destinations and locations.
All you need to do is check if there is a direct flight from your present location to Port of Spain. Or check for the nearest place where you can get one.
We cannot say that using a bus is a top means of getting into North America. This is because one of the first thoughts on the minds of anyone will be to fly there.
Using a bus is feasible when a road network connects your present location and Port of Spain.
It is easier to get a bus to Port of Spain if you are already in Trinidad and Tobago or another North American country close to this place. This makes your journey easier.
For those coming from distant locations or another continent, it will be impossible to use a bus.
Trains are a means of transportation worldwide, but it only works in a place where there is a railway.
If you desire using a reach to use Port of Spain, there must be a railway connection between your present location and the city.
However, we can say that it is impossible to use a train in reaching Port of Spain irrespective of where you are coming from.
One can say that hitchhiking is a popular culture worldwide. It means a person stands on the road to get a free ride when moving from one point to another within a region.
In a place like Port of Spain, where transportation is cheap, we can say no need for hitchhiking.
Thus, this concept is not popular in the city.
Another way of getting into Port of Spain is via a ship. We cannot call this a popular method as it does not apply everywhere.
Thus, it is best not to put your mind or hopes on this means of movement.
You also need to know how to move around when you get to Port of Spain.
Understanding the various available means of transportation within the area will always come in handy.
Since foreigners love to explore, we know that you need a way of moving from one point to another. This is where the in-city transport means always come to play.
There is the option of walking around when you are in Port of Spain. It is sometimes the first option to come to your mind when you are not going to a far destination.
Port of Spain is blessed with many great and excellent spots for sightseeing. They are in different areas of the city.
If anyone is close to where you are staying, we are sure that you will not mind walking down there.
Since there are many cycling routes in Port of Spain, we can say that using a bicycle is a feasible way of moving around.
It is right to know that you can rent a bicycle instead of buying a new one. In many places, they know that some foreigners love cycling.
Thus, there are rental stores where you can get a bicycle.
You can also use a scooter to move around in Port of Spain. Understandably, some people may not know how to operate a scooter as it is not common in their home city.
We usually tell foreigners not to use a scooter if they do not know how to operate it. After all, the goal is not to have an accident while moving around.
If you do not know how to use a scooter, stick to other means of moving around.
In place of a public bus, there are taxis to move around in Port of Spain. It is the ideal and most common way of moving around in the city.
Once you get to Port of Spain, ask the locals the best place to stand when you want to get a taxi. This makes moving around become less stressful.
Tram, Train and Subway
Some people may be curious to know if it is possible to use a train and move around in Port of Spain.
For now, it is not a means of moving around in the city.
There was once a railway in Port of Spain, but the building was later converted into something else. Thus, you cannot use a train to move around.
One thing that people usually advocate for foreigners is that they should engage in sustainable shopping.
This is one of the easiest ways of getting into the locals’ hearts if you did not know.
For those who are confused, let us break down this concept. Engaging in sustainable shopping means that you are buying things sold and produced by the locals.
A way of engaging in sustainable shopping is to patronize the food markets. There are usually many vendors at this place, and you will see an array of ingredients.
The vendors at this food market always try to be polite and civil. Thus, it will be best if you meet them at their pace. Once this happens, you can buy things without any stress.
Have you ever visited a flea market? We do not know if you have them in your home city.
However, there are much in Port of Spain. Visiting and buying things from a flea market is another way of engaging in sustainable shopping.
Some people say that you can get things for a cheaper amount at this place.
Second Hand Stores
Did you know that buying from second-hand stores is another way of engaging in sustainable shopping? If you did not know, now you know.
After all, it is also the locals who are vendors at these places. They bring in items that they are not using anymore. But these items are usually still of high quality. Most people fall in love with all the things that a second-hand store showcases.
The concept of turning recyclable items into something fashionable is called eco-fashion.
It is a unique trend that has become popular in many places, and Port of Spain is not an exception.
Buying eco-fashion wears is another way of engaging in sustainable shopping. Thus, ensure that you patronize people who sell such items in Port of Spain.
There is a general high effort when it concerns recycling in Trinidad and Tobago. Thus, its capital city will not be an exception.
When you visit Port of Spain, you will notice that there are recycling companies.
Thus, the locals are aware of recycling and act towards it. As a foreigner, you should also play a role.
It is safe to say that Port of Spain is a clean city. This is all thanks to the effective waste management processes.
To be a responsible traveler in this city, you must not litter. You may pay fines if you do.
The goal should be to leave the city cleaner than it was.
Work and Study Abroad
There are some excellent educational facilities in Port of Spain.
However, before some people agree to study in this place, they ask if one can work while studying.
It is possible to work while studying in Port of Spain. A student can take up a full or part-time job. What matters is that it should not affect your studies.
The educational facilities in Port of Spain are not many. Thus, we cannot say that there is a high number of exchange students in the city.
We cannot say that it is easy to change from your present school to one in Port of Spain.
However, there is no harm in trying and checking if it is possible.
Check the au pair website if you need a job to keep busy while in Port of Spain.
It connects you to locals who have open opportunities. The jobs are usually house jobs like taking care of their house or children.
The au pair job system helps you to bond with the locals.
We can say that volunteers are always welcome in every country and city. Thus, Port of Spain is not an exception.
When you go to this city as a volunteer, ensure that you have a skill that will contribute meaningfully to society. This is how you will earn your respect as a volunteer.
Volunteers are one of the pillars of any society.