Eco-friendly travel guide to Rosario advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Rosario, Argentina.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$50 - $400
- Budget per day: US$120 - $550
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Rosario can be your next favorite travel destination as the city is gaining popularity due to its culture. Rosario is one of the most populous cities in Argentina. The city is located on the west bank of the River Parana. The city is considered as the major exporter of agricultural products which includes Lumber, meat, and grain. Rosario is the birthplace of the great Leonardo Messi. It attracts many students, artists, and tourists across the world due to its rich culture and heritage. The city is major in producing export items like refrigerator pieces of equipment, automobiles, and steel. Tourism is a very important part of Rosario's economy. There are many places to visit in the city, and the main attractions are neoclassical, which the most iconic architectural building in history is, art nouveau is again an architectural building with some mesmerizing decoration in the buildings, and arc deco is famous for its visual designs. The architecture of the city is very pleasant to watch. So you can start your tour by visiting this piece of art and do not forget to follow your duty as a responsible traveler.
- To be a responsible traveler, you should always opt for ways that help the environment. Consider using electric scooters or bicycles to cover the central areas of Swansea.
- The inner city can be traveled by walking. You can plan your trip accordingly so that it can help you to fulfill your duties as a traveler.
- Try to visit local places for food and stay to support the economy of the country. It’s a great way to fulfill your duties as a responsible traveler.
- There are so many green parks which you can visit while staying there. You can enjoy the beauty of nature with fresh air.
- Try to travel through local transport as much as possible to show your support to the locals. Local buses, trams, railways can be the best options.
- Choose green hotels for your stay in Swansea. It will help you and the city to stay pollution-free.
- Try to have your meals in local restaurants. Street foods of Rosario are very famous among travelers. You can try these local street foods as well.
Air Quality and Pollution
The quality of the air in the city is not that bad so you can plan your trip to Rosario. However, if you are very sensitive or you have a weak respiratory system then you can take a few precautions before reaching the city. You can choose to avoid staying outside for a longer period. The city is the major exporter of industrial products and agricultural products and being one of the most populous cities in Argentina, the increase or decrease of pollution levels are common. Hence the government has taken several measures to control the pollution in the city.
You can also take part in it by using fewer fuel-based vehicles and opt for chargeable cars or public transports. Generally, there is no issue with the air quality here, and it is acceptable for the young and healthy people, but minors and aged people may face some problems if they are out in the exposure for longer. You can consult your doctor before visiting Rosario and keep some safety tools like masks or inhalers for high altitude, just to be on the safe side.
Respect the Culture
The city is way ahead in the fields of art, music, painting, poetry, literature, medicine, law, etc. There are so many famous personalities who are admired by millions of people across the globe who came from this city. The culture of the city can be seen through its museums and you can start your journey with Juan B. Castagnino Fine arts museum, you can get a brief idea about the past of the city through this museum.
Dr. Julio Marc Provincial Historical Museum is another masterpiece in the city, and this is the biggest museum in the city as it consists of thirty rooms that contain a vast collection of archeological items, numismatics, Spanish American art, weapons, silverwork craft, etc. Just like this, there are so many things to do and to see in the city. The culture of the city is very vast and you need to spend more days in the city to observe everything. The city is full of surprises when it comes to historical monuments and modern culture. The lifestyle of the people in the city is very admirable. The industrial sectors are getting stronger, and you can also take a tour of the old buildings which are still in use for work purposes.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Every year thousands of tourists visit the city of Rosario. It is one of the best cities in Argentina where you can visit to have a nice holiday trip. But if you want to make your trip more interesting then you have to visit these ten places.
- Monumento Histórico Nacional a la Bandera Argentina - This monument is a tribute to an Argentinean soldier who sacrificed his life during the world war. His contributions are famous even today and people remember them throughout their life.
- Paraná River Aquarium - If you have a fascination with sea life then this aquarium is a must-visit for you. This place takes you to marine life and showcases some sea creatures and fishes. Not only from Argentina but tourists from different parts of the world like to visit here.
- Nativity of Our Lord Parish - Do not go by its name because it is a catholic church where you can feel the real presence of Jesus. For this reason, it is the holiest place, and here you can wish the best thing for yourself.
- La Isla de Los Inventos - An amusement center where you can bring your children and allow them to go for some rides. These rides will give them a lot of fun and the moments here will be a memory to remember.
- Cathedral Basilica Our Lady of Rosario - It is a cathedral cum shrine, which is dedicated to a special lady who helped a lot in society. Come here and get knowledge about her works which are always valued.
- La Bola de Nieve - This is a monument that is responsible for promoting the cultural heritage of the city. Here you will know the importance of this city and its foundation during the early ages.
- On Gallery- An art gallery where you would get various varieties of paintings and sketches made by world-famous artists. They are beautiful and have some specialties which are beyond the levels of your imagination.
- Dr. Ángel Gallardo Provincial Natural Sciences- A science center which is named after the most famous scientist called Dr. Ángel Gallardo. He made some real scientific experiments that played a central role in the field of science.
- Fuente de Aguas Danzantes- If you want to experience a light and sound fountain show then, this place is beautiful. The shows of dancing water are attractive, and you will love them.
- Cultural Center of Spain Park- Do not go by its name because this place is located in Rosario, not in Spain. Here some cultural events take place which is more than enjoyable and fun. Try it for once because this opportunity might not come again and again.
Exploring is one of the best ways to get an awesome experience of your traveling. There are many other places also which you can try out except the ones which are mentioned above. So in this part of the article, we will tell you about those places where you will explore new things. These places are some city parks, national parks, beaches, and museums.
Here are some of the city parks that you can visit to get an excellent exploration experience
- Colectividades Park- The ambiance of this park is calm, and here you would get a nice serene feeling. If you are feeling disturbed then, you can come here and make yourself a bit relaxed.
- Tío Rolo Park- This park is not only for sitting and roaming around from here to there. If you are a sports lover then here you will also get a football and cricket playground.
If you are love to explore wildlife, then here are some national parks of this city that will help you get close to nature.
- Forest of Constituents - As the name suggests, it is a forest cum national park where you would get many wildlife animals. Being an eco-friendly traveler, you can visit here and have a very good experience of exploring the wildlife.
For all the beach lovers out there this city also offers you some wonderful beaches. Here are the names of those beaches which leaves you awestruck.
- Balneario La Florida- The water of this beach is pure, and you will love to have a bath over here. Lounge into its water, and you will get a nice form of adventure.
- Rambla Catalunya- It is a sandy beach, and here you can get some seashells and corals. They are good for your house decoration and can also be used as a showpiece.
- Catalunya Playas - This beach is meant for relaxing and enjoying a sunny day. It is not at all like the others as here you would get a very different feeling. You can also take part in some of the activities like sun-set watching, swimming and many more.
There are no landmarks in the city of Rosario which are very popular. But the museums of this city make it a very nice and friendly visit.
If you love to explore history and learn about stories from the past then you must visit the museums in the city. Here are some museums listed below in detail.
- Museum Diario La Capital CMK - In this museum, you will get to know about the newspapers and press production which took place in the year 1867. So explore it vividly and you will find yourself in the period of history.
- Museo de la Memoria - This place tells you about how dictatorship was formed in Argentina and the consequences people faced because of it. Have a tour of this place and you can see some very rare artifacts.
- Museo del Deporte Santafesino - If you want to gather science information then, this place is very important for you. Here you will get some famous scientific experiments and discoveries that played a major role in the evolution of technology.
When it comes to food Rosario has a lot to offer to its travelers. The city is full of flavors whether you want to have local dishes or international cuisine; you can have all you want here. You can start your food journey with Melanesia, which is an unconfirmed official dish of the city. It is a fried beef with some spices mixed on it, and it is generally served with slices of bread here. It is the most consumed meal in the city which is consumed by the locals and travelers. Locro is the famous staple food of the city, and it is widely available in every restaurant and local shop.
It is a stew that is very thick and it contains chunks of meats, vegetables, and corn kernels. These are the most popular dishes which are not available anywhere else so you should definitely try them when you are in the city. Street foods are also very popular here, and you can start with the different versions of lacro in some places you will get the thick stew with variants; it consists of pork or beef cuts, smocked beacons, and varieties of sausages. The prices are very affordable, and dishes are easily available in every corner of the city.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Rosario cuisine is very famous as it carries all types of dishes from vegetarian meals to non-vegetarian dishes. The city is full of variation, which allows choosing a perfect one according to your taste. Your trip to Rosario is incomplete without a meal in this famous traditional restaurant of the city.
- Rock&Filler’s Bv. Orono – This restaurant serves all kinds of cuisine from traditional dishes to international dishes. The menu is very vast, and it is full of varieties. This restaurant has a very good ambiance and services are very fast and quick. The staff are very friendly and will help you to select the perfect dishes for yourself. The varieties of burgers are a must-try in this restaurant. You can have your lunch or dinner here; just treat yourself and your loved ones to the authentic flavors of the Rosario culture.
- Savory Grand Café – This restaurant is situated in San Lorenzo. The interiors of the café are very great; fine arts in the walls will blow your mind. There is a live piano arrangement for the guests here, which will enhance the taste of the foods even more. The quality of the foods is very nice according to the prices. The place is a bit expensive but worth it. Booking in advance is highly recommended.
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are someone who prefers vegan foods more than anything then this city has something special for you as well. There are multiple places where you can have a perfect vegan meal.
- Rincon Vegetariano & Diet – This is the best vegan restaurant in the city. It is a bit small and cozy restaurant with a variety of vegan dishes which will definitely suit your taste buds. This place is very beautiful, and it's like a paradise for vegetable lovers. The meals are prepared with proper hygiene, and the staff is very friendly here. Dishes made of potatoes and salad are very famous here.
- Bar El Cairo – The restaurant is situated in the center of the city and it is full of flavors. They have lunch and dinner sets which you can try, the drink menu is very impressive, and you can give it a try. The atmosphere is very quiet in this restaurant, and the staff is very friendly. You can witness some musical shows and other forms of entertainment here; it’s a perfect place to enjoy your meals while watching the local talents of the city through the form of music and others.
The culture of any city can be seen through the local foods. The city has a vast variety of foods for the locals and travelers. You can start with the very famous Medialunas, it’s a croissant roll which tastes a bit sweeter. There are variations in the stuffings and making of the dish. You can easily get this at the local restaurants of the city and the street food vendors are best if you want to have the authentic flavors of the city.
This is considered as the traditional breakfast of the city, which is generally served with a cup of milk or strong coffee. There are many other local dishes which you can try that include Milanesa, lacro, etc. Lacro is the famous thick stew, which is made by adding meats and vegetables, the authentic flavors of the spices mixed in it will make you feel like having it again and again.
Alcoholic drinks are easily available in the city at bars and restaurants. Yerba Mate is basically a tea that is highly consumed by most of the local people here. It can be hot or cold, you can choose according to your preference. This tea is made by boiling some herbs with the tea leaves. Fernet is again a trendy drink in the city which is made up of herb and spices, and it is generally an aromatic spirit. Coca-cola is a nonalcoholic beverage that is highly consumed here. Wine is the most famous drink here and Argentina is one of the largest producers of wine in the world. So you cannot miss the wines here, you will get a variety of options here in terms of flavors and the percentage of alcohol in them.
The tap water facility of the city is excellent, and the quality of the water is drinkable. The locals used to drink tap water, and they faced no problems in it. The water is getting purified before reaching the reservoirs, chlorine is used to kill the harmful bacteria of the water before supplying it to the homes of the locals. You can face problems regarding the quality of the water in the outer areas of the city. The water contains a high quantity of minerals which might not suit some tourists or it can create an upset stomach issue. So for the tourist who has less tolerance, they can use filtered water and it is available in every shop and restaurant of the city. In extreme cases, you can boil the water before consuming it.
- VQV – Verde Que te Quiero Verde Mercado del Patio – Just like its name the café is very fancy, and the variety of dishes made of organic products will suit your taste buds. You can have a proper meal in this café. The varieties of juices and coffee will make your experience even better. You can try the croissant rolls here, there is a variety of fillings you can choose from. There are options in sweets sections as well, and you should definitely try the cakes which are again made of organic products. You will fall in love with vegetarian foods here.
- Punto Mercado Holistico – This can be your next stop for organic café in the city. The restaurant serves vegan and vegetarian foods. There are a variety of foods with a lovely menu. You can get a combination of vegan and vegetarian foods here. The staff is very friendly, and the service is very fast. The prices are more or less affordable, and you should try the lunch menu as it is their best seller. The place is always crowded with the locals so book your seats before visiting.
- Fenicia Brewing Co – The beers in this café are widely famous among travelers as some of the beers hold gold medals which are won by them in some international beer competitions. The taste of the beers is very good as compared to any other breweries in the city. Russian stouts are the best seller of this place. Your trip is incomplete without a sip of beers from the fenicia brewing co.
- On Tap Rosario – It is situated in the Salta. This place is well known for its handcrafted beers, the flavors are mesmerizing. You can enjoy your evenings in the city by having a pint of beer from this lovely brewery and enjoy the live music in the café. The place is not very huge, so you should book your seats before visiting. If you want to have a simple meal with beer on the side then this the best affordable place to dine out. This place comes with limited choices of beers, but the taste is good. You can even take away your orders to your place and can have the beer at your own comfort.
There are a lot of fun and exciting things to do in the city. You can start with Monumento a la Bandera, it is the best place to start your travel journey in the city. It is a big monument that holds the national flag of Argentina. You can even climb up to the tower to have a better view of the city. Parque Urquiza is a park where you can relax a bit with your friends and family. There are lots of street vendors selling varieties of kinds of stuff here; you can even have some tea or snacks while exploring the park. This place is best for picnics as well; you can do some fun activities like playing badminton, etc. Visiting the national park of the city is the best thing you can do to have some fun as the culture of the city lies in the parks of the city.
Yoga and Retreats
You can take a break from your daily chaos and enroll yourself in yoga classes for a few days. It will help you to relieve stress and make you relaxed. Your body needs relaxation from all the traveling chaos you have made so far, it will prepare you for your next destination. Rosario is filled with yoga centers with different styles that suit everyone. You can also book online classes, which are relatively low prices as compared to the studios, but the atmosphere in a perfect well-furnished studio is something different which you will not find anywhere else. You can choose according to your preference.
The accommodation structure of the city is very fascinating and the city is considered to be the best holiday destination for family and friends. All the accommodation facilities in the city are very up to the mark, you can definitely find something that suits your budget. If you are a student then you can get options like hostels or guesthouses for longer stays. Apartments are available for people who are planning to stay in the city for a very long time. Hotels and lodges are available for travelers who are willing to stay in the city for a day or two. The city has a lot of options with variations for the travelers. You can take the help of the internet to choose a perfect place for staying in the city.
Green hotels are getting popular nowadays with the excellent features of the hotels, and the nature of these hotels is to provide you a better environment. You can choose to stay in green hotels in Rosario as well. It will allow you to stay close to nature, and these hotels are the best in recycling goods and resources. The hotels have all the facilities like any other hotels in the city. These hotels will help you to reduce the amount of waste generation. Most of the green hotels in the city are surrounded by the beautiful sceneries of nature, nearest to the beaches where you can get the fresh air. Some of the best green hotels with the best views in the city are as follows.
- Holiday Inn Express Rosario
- Esplendor by Wyndham Savoy Rosario
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are planning to study in Rosario then hostels are best for you. Hostels are well designed in order to give a perfect environment to the students who are coming from different corners of the world to study in Rosario. The hostels will provide you all the necessary facilities which include an attached cafeteria, playroom, playground, etc. When it comes to guest houses, it is mostly preferred by the people who are working in Rosario.
If you are one of them then you are most welcome to the city as the city has the best facilities for all types of travelers. Guesthouses near the beaches with lovely infrastructure and breakfast facilities are easy to find here. If you want some cozy type of guest house near the quiet places of the city then again there are options, you just need to choose a perfect one for yourself. Here are some of the best hostels and guesthouses in Rosario.
- La Casa de Arriba Hostel Rosario
- High Hostel
- Hostel Le Communidad
Apartments can be your best option if you are planning to stay in the city for more than three months. Apartments are the best replacement for homes in another city; you can get all the facilities like home here. You can interact with the locals here and gather more information about the culture of the city. Apartments in Rosario will provide you a kitchen section as well as you can cook your own foods. Most of the apartments in the city are nearer to the market area or working area, so you don't have to worry about the supplies of the necessary items to your doorsteps. You can even get your groceries by ordering them online. Here are some best apartments at the best location in Rosario.
- Altos de Barrio Martin
- Maipú y Avda. Pellegrini
- Plaza Lopez
Couchsurfing is a community of travelers that helps other travelers when they are visiting each other’s hometown. It allows you to stay in the house of the people and they will provide you food as well. You can take the help of couch surfing to stay in a house for two to three days as it is not meant for longer stays. By doing these you can learn about the culture of the city and the native language of the people, you can also gather information about the best places to visit. Couchsurfing is a modern way of traveling which is loved by travelers all over the world.
You can find most of the camping sites in the eastern part of the city where there are more natural provinces. There are lots of facilities available for travelers on these sites including, parking facilities, toiletries, etc. The beautiful view of nature will enhance your travel journey. You can even look for campsites that have an agricultural environment. Camping can be the best option if you want to take a break from city life and want to relax with your friends or family.
How to Get There
There are several options to reach the city and to travel the inner parts of the city. The most convenient way of reaching the city would be through airways, as it is the fastest mode of traveling. However, there are other options available that you can choose to reach the city. Choose any of them based on requirements and budget. Here are some of the most common ones given below in detail to help you pick.
Traveling through airways can be very comforting as it is the fastest way of reaching your desired location. Islas Malvinas International Airport is the main airport for international flights. There are regular international and domestic flights, so you don't have to worry about it. The airports in the city are very spacious, and the infrastructure is very fascinating. The prices of the tickets may vary, and that completely depends upon the airlines you choose. Though traveling through airways can be expensive but worth it.
The most comfortable and convenient way of traveling the city is traveling by bus. There are daily buses that depart from other cities of the country to this city. The best thing about traveling by bus is that you will be able to explore all the beautiful places on your way. You can either book your ticket online for the longer journeys or you can directly buy them from the stations.
Rosario has two main railway stations one is Estacion Rosario Sur, which is in the southern part of the city, and one is Estacion Rosario Norte, which is in the downtown area. You can use this mode of traveling when you want to reach the other cities of the country. Within the city, it is more or less useless to use trains for traveling. You will have to book the tickets in advance if you want to reach another city in the country.
Hitchhiking is getting popular in Rosario as people love to challenge themselves while traveling. It is the most adventurous and thrilling way of traveling, it allows you to make a lot of memories on your way to your desired destination. You just need to find the busiest road from where you can start your journey. The people of Rosario are very cheerful and helpful so you can gather information about the city as well while you are riding. Language can be a problem here, but you can communicate in English by breaking the words in such a way that the driver can understand where you want to go.
Apart from trains and plains, you can use taxis, bicycles, and rental cars to travel the city. Taxis can be your one-stop option if you want to reach a certain place. You can rent a car or other vehicle to reach the city from all the other cities of the country. If you are traveling from another country, then you will need a lot more time to reach Rosario by road. There are multiple options available, you just need to select a perfect one for yourself.
If you want to know the city properly then the very first thing you need to understand is the modes of traveling in the city. You should be well aware of the charges and the convenient way of traveling the city. You can choose to walk in the market area or crowded places. You should find ways of using fewer fuel-based vehicles and opt for non-fuel based cars or bikes like chargeable cars.
You can choose to walk the inner part of the city, and it is the best way of exploring new places. The culture of the city lies in the local places and it is not possible to explore these places by traveling by bus or cars. Walking can be very eco friendly as well, and it will help you to stay fit at the same time. You should try to explore places by walking as much as possible.
You can get a bicycle for rent here and use it to travel the city. You can get multiple options to select a perfect bicycle for yourself. There are many places in the city which is less popular but worth a visit but it’s not possible to travel to those places through cars or buses, you can use a bicycle to travel to the local or smaller areas of the city.
Electronic vehicles can be your best travel friend nowadays. It is very low-cost to maintain, and you can get charging stations at every corner of the city. Electronic vehicles will help you to reduce the pollution levels in the city. These cars run on electricity and are very easy to use. You can even ride it yourself, you don't need to hire any driver for it until you know the routes.
Public buses are very common and most preferred by the locals here. People of Rosario generally use public buses more than taxis or cars. You can easily get the tickets from the stations, and the prices are super cheap. Buses here are well connected with the other cities of the country, so you can even plan your other trips through it.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trains are well connected with the outer areas of the city. There are two main railway stations in the city. There is no such use of traveling through trains within the city as trains are mostly preferred to cover the longer routes. There is no tram or subways available in the city, and there is no further declaration of constructing any.
The city has many high department stores where you can get the fancy items of the city. You can browse these shops all day long. The pedestrian streets are full of small shops here, some of them are selling leather items while others are selling wood items. All of these things at a very affordable price. If you are looking for any branded items then you can go shopping from the malls. The city has several malls selling all international products.
The food market is the most crowded place in the city. You can get to taste the authentic flavors of the city in this food market. There is a variety of foods available in this market; you can start with kinds of seafood here as the varieties of seafood in this market are very famous. You can even get different international cuisines in this market. The city is very famous for its nightlife, and you can ask the locals to find the best place for spending some time while having a perfect meal in the city.
You can get the locally produced goods, vintage items in the flea market. The city has a lot of markets that sell this kind of product. If you want to buy something that stays with you forever from your favorite destination, then you can explore these markets in the city. You can get some old antiques, rare artifacts here at a very low price from these markets.
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand stores are best to replace old or broken items. You can get almost everything in these stores. This type of store is very helpful in times of emergencies. You can buy furniture or every household item in these stores at very low prices. The condition of the goods is fine, and sometimes it won't feel like a used item. Depo Rosario, mi Refugio, etc. are some of the best thrift stores in the city.
Eco-fashion allows you to stay stylish and environmentally friendly at the same time. Eco-fashion clothes and other usable items are made of such materials and methods which are not injurious to the environment. These kinds of stuff are easy to maintain and reusable. Rosario is a city where you will find more of these types of clothes and accessories rather than regular things which cannot be reused.
Instead of throwing clothes and other household items after using them a while, try to recycle them as much as possible. Recycling is very beneficial for the environment and the community. If you are not someone who loves to recycle old stuff then you can donate it to the poor and the needy here. The local people are very well aware of the environment of the city and they are trying to recycle things to make it better.
The waste generation of this city has reached up a level where precaution is a must. The government has introduced several plans, which are followed by the people living here to control the amount of waste production. You should also take part in such activities and follow the guidelines of the government; this is the best way to fulfill your duty as a responsible traveler.
Work and Study Abroad
Studying in Rosario can be the best way of getting higher education as the city has a lot of facilities for foreign students. The best part of studying here is that you can learn a different language, which is very fascinating. Most of the people around the world are trying to get themselves enrolled in any courses in the Rosario universities. The city is magnificent, and the surrounding is very suitable to provide a healthy environment to any people here. The job opportunities in the city are very vast, so you can try in your respective fields here. Rosario is considered as one of the developing cities in Argentina so you can get the desired job here at a very good salary package.
The exchange student program is for people who can’t afford to study in different universities from any foreign country. You will have to check with the colleges of your home town whether they have a partnership with Rosario university or not. Afterward, your home university will have to nominate your name to get selected at Rosario University.
Au pair can be a very good option for you to stay in a different location if you are new to the place. This allows you to stay in the homes of the locals in exchange for some household work you will get a place to stay and foods to eat.
Volunteering is one of the best ways if you want to keep your favorite destination clean and pollution-free. Try to volunteer for teaching, cleaning, and other works in Rosario. It will help you to learn the local language as well.