Eco-friendly travel guide to Samoa advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Samoa, Oceania.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Bus connections: 3.5/ 5
- Train connections: 3 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3 / 5
- National parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3/5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$100 - $200
- Budget per day: US$80 - $180
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Samoa is a very beautiful island country that consists of two main islands, and there are two small inhabited islands in this country while several smaller uninhabited islands. This island country is a tourist spot, and every year more than a million people pay a visit to the island country of Samoa. All the tourists need to follow all the guidelines which the government is making of this country. Tourists should travel responsibly, and they should throw garbage in public places and consume alcohol in public places. This island country was discovered by the Lapita people 3500 years ago; Apia is the capital city of the island country of Samoa, which is a must-visit place for tourists.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality of the island country Samoa is moderate, which can cause several health complexities to the sensitive groups. The rate of pollution in this country is also slightly high. However, the government is trying so many measures to control pollution. People who have allergies should wear a mask and then go out of their house so that the small particles present in the air cannot enter the body. Vehicles that run on fossil fuels are the main reasons for the increasing pollution rates in this island country; local people of this country should limit vehicles' use, which increases the rate of pollution. Some local people of this island country have started using air purifiers, which purifies all the harmful chemical compounds and particles, which can cause adverse effects.
Respect the Culture
Tourists who are on a trip to the island country of Samoa should respect this country's culture. The government of this country sets stringent rules and regulations regarding the respect of this island country's culture. Tourists should strictly not say anything against the culture of this country as they can face some serious problems later, tourists should not disrespect the culture in any way of this country. Tourists should attend the cultural programs carried out in the country of Samoa, which will help them understand the culture of this island country better. The local people of this country are very conscious when it comes to the respect of their culture, and this country has a rich heritage of culture, which fascinates most of the tourists.
Top 10 Places to Visit
There are so many places in the island country of Samoa where tourists should definitely pay a visit during their trip to this country. Reaching these places is extremely easy for the tourists as they can opt for any of the public transportation as per their convenience. Names of the top ten places that tourists can visit during their trip to the island country of Samoa are mentioned below.
- EFKS Fine Art Museum - EFKS Fine Art Museum is an art museum where so many good art pieces are kept for the public display, people who love to see art pieces should definitely visit this museum. The local talented artists make the art pieces that are kept in this museum of this country. This museum also depicts the history of this country; the museum is very informative and is a must-visit place for tourists.
- Giant Clam Sanctuary - Giant Clam Sanctuary is a nature preserve present in Savaia of the country Samoa, here so many different varieties of clams are preserved and kept for public display. This place is unique for the tourists to visit as they will never see a clam preserve in their own country so they should definitely pay a visit to this place.
- Apia Town Clock Tower - Apia Town Clock Tower is a very popular tourist spot present in Apia of the country, Samoa. People love to see a huge clock that is still in excellent and working condition. Every year millions of tourists pay a visit to this place as it is a must-visit place for the tourists. A good place for spending some hours is covered with trees, and people will get some outstanding pictures here.
- Papapapaitai Falls - Papapapaitai Falls is one of the gorgeous waterfalls present on the cross-island road of the country Samoa. This waterfall has a height of around 100 meters. For the tourists, this place is a must-visit as it has so many fascinating viewpoints for them to see. This place is very picturesque, and tourists can get some perfect clicks of both themselves and nature.
- To-Sua Ocean Trench - To-Sua Ocean Trench is a perfect place for both the local people and the tourists; this beautiful place is present in Apia of the country, Samoa. This place is ideal for a picnic with families or friends as it has an extensive surface area; the gardens present in this place makes this place ideal for the kids to visit this beautiful place.
- Paia Dwarfs Cave - The country of Samoa is famous for its so many caves; Paia Dwarfs Cave is one of those caves which accommodates more than a million visitors every year. This place is perfect for people who love to go on adventures, and people should be very careful while walking at this place as it is quite slippery.
- Samoa Cultural Village - Samoa Cultural Village is the ideal place for the tourists to visit as it will help them gain so much information regarding the culture of this country; this place is present in Apia of the country, Samoa.
- Vaiala Beach- This is an immaculate beach which is present in the country of Samoa; this beach is perfect for relaxing and chilling. Visitors are strictly asked not to throw any garbage in the water body and keep it clean, and the beach is also very nicely maintained.
- Lefaga - This is a trendy village district that is present in the country of Samoa; this village is famous because a movie was made at the Matautu village of Lefaga. This place has some really good resorts where tourists can accommodate and enjoy during the whole trip.
- Piula Cave Pool - Piula Cave Pool is another unique and interesting place for tourists to visit; this is a natural freshwater pool where visitors can swim and enjoy. This place is perfect for a family outing; kids will also enjoy this place as they get so much space to play here.
In the island country of Samoa, there are so many places for the tourists and also for the local people of this country, and this country is a tourist spot that accommodates millions of tourists every year. There are many things to do in this country and a lot of places to explore for the tourists, although they cannot cover all the places in one trip they can choose the best places they should definitely visit in this island country. The tourists can explore various historical landmarks present in the island country of Samoa, and landmarks are the ideal places for exploration in this country.
City parks are one of those places where people prefer to visit on holidays, city parks are very relaxing and help people reduce their stress. Names of city parks that are present in the island country of Samoa are mentioned below.
- Falealupo Canopy Walk - This place is ideal for the people who like to go on a walk; this beautiful place is present in Falealupo Village, Savai'i of the country, Samoa. This place has a thick cover of trees and is perfect for nature lovers, this place is also good for nature photography, and tourists can get some perfect clicks of nature.
- Aopo Lava Tubes - This is another wonderful and picturesque place for tourists to visit; it is present in Aopo Savaii, Savai'i of Samoa. This place is perfect for bird watching, and people will get to see so many different species of birds at this place.
National parks are one of those places which the tourists should definitely visit, where they will get to see different species of animals which they might not be able to see in their own country. Names of national parks that are present in the country of Samoa are mentioned below.
- Palolo Deep Marine Reserve - It is a marine reserve where people get to do snorkeling; this place is ideal for people who like to do adventurous activities. This beautiful place is present in Apia Harbour, Apia, Upolu of the country Samoa. This place is extremely easy as people can opt for any one of the public transportation.
- Fagaloa Bay - This is a conservation area present in the Va'a-o-Fonoti district of the country Samoa; this place has so many unique and different flora and fauna species will definitely fascinate the tourists.
Beaches are perfect for a family outing where people can visit with their families and spend a good time with them, and beaches are also good for doing outdoor activities. Names of beaches that are present in the country of Samoa are mentioned below.
- Lalomanu Beach - This is a gorgeous and popular beach present in Upolu Lalomanu of Samoa. The environment of this beach is extremely good for the people who are here to relax. The water body is immaculate and clean, and visitors are strictly asked not to pollute the water body of this beach.
- Lefaga Beach - This beach is the most popular beach present in the country of Samoa, and it got famous for its cameo in the film "Return to Paradise," which was shot in 2004 at this beach. This place is also very famous for its outdoor activities like scuba diving and snorkeling, people of this country are very fond of doing these activities.
Landmarks are the first choice places to visit for the tourists during their trip to any of the country, these landmarks depict the history of the place, and the architecture fascinates every visitor. In the country of Samoa, there are various landmarks for the tourists to visit; names of some of them are mentioned below.
- Immaculate Conception of Mary Cathedral - This is a fascinating cathedral present in Main Beach Road, Apia, Upolu of the country Samoa; the interior of this church is extremely fascinating and catches the attention of every visitor. People get so many modes of transportation through which they can reach this cathedral very conveniently.
- Alofaaga Blowholes - Alofaaga Blowholes is the best place for tourists to visit, present in Alofaaga Village Palauli, Taga, Savai'i of the country Samoa. The water coming out from the holes will fascinate tourists as they won't see this very often.
Museums are perfect places for the tourists to visit as here they get to gain so much information about the country they are on a trip, in the country of Samoa also there are several museums which are extremely informative and good for gaining knowledge, names of some of the museums are mentioned below.
- Robert Louis Stevenson Museum - Robert Louis Stevenson Museum is a trendy museum present in Vailima, Apia, Upolu of the country Samoa. The building is in very nice condition and is maintained very nicely by the local staff of this museum. This was earlier a poet's home, which was later turned into the museum with all his poems and worked in it.
- Museum of Samoa - This is a very informative museum present in Apia of the country, Samoa; this beautiful museum was built in 1999 and is still very good. This museum has artifacts and photos of the Pacific Islands and has so much information regarding the island.
It is crucial for all the tourists who are on a trip to Samoa that they should definitely consume the traditional and local food of this country. Tourists can taste the traditional and local food of this country in any of the popular restaurants present in the country of Samoa. Luau or palusami is the most popular dish in Samoa, and this dish is made from coconut milk, which is baked inside the taro leaves; this dish is very delicious. Faiai Eleni is another very famous traditional dish which tourists should definitely consume, and this dish is made from raw fish with mackerels inside the coconut shells. Fa’apapa is a sweet coconut bread that tastes sweet, and this fish is mostly consumed in the breakfast by the local people.
The local people of this country are very fond of consuming drinks, whether alcoholic or non-alcoholic. However, there is a drinking age in Samoa, and people below that age are strictly not allowed to consume alcoholic drinks. Kava is the most popular and also the most consumed drink in the island country of Samoa, and this popular drink is usually made from the roots of the pepper plant, which is grounded up properly and later mixed with water and served to the people. This drink has sedative properties, so the tourists should consume it very carefully; they should not consume it in heavy amounts, leading to some health complexities.
Tap water in this island country is considered safe for human consumption, although the local people of this country boil it properly and then consume it for safety. Tourists can consume tap water directly in this country, and if they can face any health issues, they can drink packaged drinking water that is safe for consumption. Local people have water purifiers in their houses to purify the water from all the harmful chemical compounds and microorganisms that can cause adverse effects on their bodies. The tap water of hotels in this country is quite safe for consumption, and in most people, it does not cause any health issues.
There are so many kinds of activities which tourists can do in the country of Samoa, and this country is heaven for nature lovers as this country has so many places which are perfect for nature photography. People who love to do outdoor activities should definitely visit the beaches present in the island country of Samoa; the beaches of this country are immaculate and clean. Tourists can visit various city parks present in this country where they can enjoy a pleasant atmosphere, and city parks are perfect for relaxing the mind. This island country is also a really good place to visit for the people who love to go on adventures, and there are many adventurous activities to do for the tourists in this country.
There are so many accommodation modes available for tourists, and they can choose any one of the accommodations that suit them the best. Accommodation is the first thing tourists search for when planning a trip to any place, and tourists choose their accommodation based on their budget and requirements. Tourists can book their accommodation online very easily, every accommodation of this country has its own site from where people can book. The modes of accommodation which tourists can choose during their trip to this island country are mentioned below.
Green hotels are the most preferred mode of accommodation by the tourists, and these green hotels have all the necessary facilities which the tourists require during their whole trip. Tourists can book these green hotels online conveniently, and these hotels give heavy discounts to those who book them online. The green hotels present in the country of Samoa have so many activities for their visitors to do so that they can never get bored here. Green hotels are eco-friendly hotels that do not cause any harm to the environment. Everything used in these green hotels is organic and eco-friendly, which benefits the environment in every possible way. Names of green hotels that are present in the country of Samoa are mentioned below.
- Green ridge motel
- Talofa Green Hills Accommodation
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels are another very convenient and safe mode of accommodation that the students mostly opted for, and they get all the facilities in the hostels. In hostels, students get room to stay, which has one bed and one bathroom, they get 3-4 meals in one day, but the hostel's staff decides the meals. Names of hostels that are available in the country of Samoa are mentioned below.
- Samoan Village Hostel
- Apia inn
Guest houses are also a very good mode of accommodation which is mostly opted by the tourists, guest houses are very comfortable and are also very budget friendly. Guest houses provide their visitors with 3-4 meals in one day and the visitors can choose the menu on their own. Names of guest houses which are present in the country of Samoa are mentioned below.
- Apaula Stay-Inn
- Olivias Accommodation
This mode of accommodation is mostly opted by the local people living in the country of Samoa, this mode of accommodation is perfect for middle class people which cannot afford to purchase their own house. In the country of Samoa there are so many companies which rent their apartments to the local people at very reasonable prices and at prime locations. The facilities people get in apartments are not less than a house so this mode of accommodation is becoming favourite amongst the middle class people of this country. There are so many apartments present in the island country of Samoa, names of some of the apartments of this country are mentioned below.
- Nia mall apartments
- Sesilia apartments Samoa
- Vailima hillside apartments
If any tourist has any relative or a friend who is living in the country of Samoa, then he/she can do couch surfing at their accommodation. This practice is very budget-friendly as the tourists don't need to spend money on the accommodation, they can reside at their local friend or relative's accommodation. The tourists will also save a lot of money on food as in couch surfing they don't need to visit the restaurants to eat food, the local friends will make them eat the traditional and local food of this country. The local people of this island country are very humble and kind when it comes to couch surfing; they always welcome their guests and try to give them the best hospitality that they can give to them.
Camping is an outdoor activity practiced in forests or a place with a thick cover of trees; doing camping is not an easy thing to do as it requires a lot of experience and precision. The local people of this country like to go camping on off days for a change in their daily lifestyle; in Samoa, there are various camping centers where people can visit and go camping. These camping centers have made this practice extremely easy for the people who want to practice it. This practice is also very budget-friendly, and tourists can also go camping in any of the camping centers which are present in this country.
the capital city; with the international airport and most of the population, plus several tiny offshore islands
the largest island; relatively undeveloped and regarded by many as the "real" Samoa
- Apia - Attractive laid-back town with some good hotels. Good shopping, restaurants, bars and a public market.
Getting There and Moving Around
Getting to the island country of Samoa is quite easy, and the tourists don't face many difficulties to reach here as there are various modes of transportation. Tourists can choose any one mode of transportation to reach this country. As Samoa is an island country so tourists can access water transportation to reach this country, this island country has a good network of water transportation. This island country also has a good network of air transportation, and this mode of transportation is the most used mode of transportation by tourists to reach this country. Tourists get public transportation facilities if they want to travel to Samoa; traveling in this country is very easy, and tourists will definitely enjoy their trip to Samoa.
Air transportation is the most developed mode of transportation in the country of Samoa, and this country has one international airport named Faleolo International Airport, which accommodates more than a million people every year. In the island country of Samoa, there are four more other airports, but they are not international airports, but they also play a significant role in air transportation. People can book their tickets very easily and conveniently online; here, they can choose the seat of their choice and also do pre-booking. The airplanes are always on time and follow a rigorous timetable so that their passengers should reach their respective destinations on time. Although this mode of transportation is very costly and not everyone can afford to travel in airplanes.
The colorful buses which run in this country will definitely catch the attny of the tourists who are on a trip to Samoa, these colorful buses help the local people of this country to travel from one region to another. These buses are very punctual and mostly they are on time so the passengers don't need to wait for so long, there are so many buses on one single route so that every passenger can get the seat during traveling. These public buses are very affordable and everyone can afford to travel in them, this mode of transportation is one of the cheapest modes of transportation in this country. There are so many bus stations which are present in this country, names of some of them are mentioned below.
- Fugalei Bus Depot
- Apia city bus station
In the country of Samoa there is a very good network of railways, all the regions of this island country are well connected with each other through railways. This mode of transportation is also very convenient and also quite affordable, this mode of transportation is cheaper than bus. In this mode of transportation also people get the facilities of booking the tickets online, people can also pre-book their train tickets. This mode of transportation is much faster than bus so mostly it is preferred over buses for transportation in this country. There are several railway stations from where people can select the train as per their routes, names of the railway stations which are present in the country of Samoa are mentioned below.
Hitchhiking can be a very effective practice if used in a proper manner, and this practice is widespread in the country of Samoa. Although nowadays this practice is mostly used in an emergency like accidents, people are now terrified of helping people on the way as there is a very high risk of getting robbed. This practice is effective in this country as this country has a very well-developed road network. The roads are also very well maintained by the government, making this practice very rapid and effective. Most tourists can be seen practicing it as they are not aware of the routes of this country while hitchhiking they can also ask the local people about the public transportation and the places that they can visit in this country.
Other modes of transportation that are available for traveling in the country of Samoa are taxi, and there are so many agencies which rent their taxis to the local people and the tourists to help them reach their respective destinations. Although traveling in a taxi is very costly, the prices are very high, and not everyone can afford it every day. Hence, there are other modes of transportation also which are available in the country of Samoa. Water transportation can also be an option for transportation, but it is very time-consuming; it takes much more time to reach the destination, so it is not used much if it is far away. Tourists mostly prefer taxis as they are not aware of the routes of this country, renting a taxi is quite easy in this country.
In Sustainable shopping, people get to purchase totally eco-friendly commodities, such commodities do not cause any harm the environment, and it is safe to use. In the country of Samoa also the local people have started using eco-friendly commodities; these commodities not only contribute towards the welfare of the environment but also it is safe for human use. The use of sustainable products is increasing daily in the whole world as people are getting aware of the benefits these products have on humans and the environment. Samoa Green Products Limited is one such organization that sells organic products in the country of Samoa, and they ask people not to use plastic bags and increase the use of baskets for shopping.
The local people of this country are recycling very seriously, and several organizations are recycling every kind of waste material and making something useful out of those materials. These organizations have enhanced technologies and modern techniques through which they can recycle every kind of material. Recycling is an excellent process for the environment as it decreases the rates of environmental degradation. These organizations are also carrying out awareness programs for the local people of this country to follow certain basic techniques through which they can recycle certain products and contribute to the environment. Pacific Recycle Co. Ltd is one such agency that is extremely popular for its recycling techniques, and this company is doing wonders in recycling for this country.
Earlier, this country was not doing good in waste management, but in recent times, this country has definitely improved a lot in waste management. Some waste management companies and agencies are trying their best to manage the waste developing in this country properly and effectively. These companies have all the modern techniques and enhanced technologies; by using this, they can manage every kind of waste material in Samoa. These companies are also carrying out awareness programs for the local people of this country. They are asking people to manage and dispose of the waste products properly to avoid environmental degradation. E-waste is the most difficult waste to handle as it has so many harmful chemical compounds that can degrade the environment.
Work and Study Abroad
The job opportunities for the local people of this country are not very high; many people of this country are doing odd jobs to earn their living. Middle-class people have to struggle a lot to earn a decent amount of money, and they have to do multiple jobs as the wages they get are not good enough to make their livelihood. The Universities present in the island country of Samoa provide chances to their students to settle abroad; candidates who score good grades get the preference of settling abroad. Settling abroad is not an easy task if one doesn't have enough money; it requires a lot of money to settle abroad. One has to work extremely hard in the country of Samoa to get a chance to settle abroad, or else he/she should have the financial stability to settle abroad.
Education in the country of Samoa is not so costly, so the students who cannot afford to study in their own country due to financial issues then they can study here for much less amount of money. Every year the universities present in the country of Samoa carry out exchange student programs for the students of other countries. These universities have all the necessary facilities for their students. They provide them with accommodation to live in, and they will provide them with 3-4 meals in a day and much more facilities so that they do not face any difficulties while studying at their university. Students can easily enroll themselves in these exchange student programs online, and they need to fill in their personal details and grades.
The au pairing companies and agencies which are present in the country of Samoa have helped so many unemployed people of this country to get a job and earn their livelihood. These companies and agencies have increased employment rates and thereby increase job opportunities for the local people of this country. Although the wages people get after doing this job are not good enough, people also have to do some other jobs to fulfill their daily requirements. In au pair jobs are timings are very odd, one has to work for so many hours, and after this, they get very less payment. People can enroll themselves in these au pairing companies very easily by simply filling in their personal information. As soon as these companies get a suitable job, they will inform their candidates.
Volunteering is the most effective and convenient practice which most of the freshers do in the country of Samoa; by doing volunteering, so many candidates got a decent job, which helped make their daily requirements. Volunteering is not an easy task to do as one has to work extremely hard to impress the members of the company. Candidates should be very dedicated to their work and should always be very punctual. Although there is no certainty of getting a job in volunteering as the seats are limited, people should try this practice in some other companies to get a job in that company. Some companies provide stipends to their volunteers to work more effectively, while some companies do not provide stipends; they provide a certificate.