Eco-friendly travel guide to Sendai advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Sendai, Japan.
- Air quality: 3/ 5
- Exploring by foot: 4.5/ 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3/ 5
- Accommodation: US$80 - $300
- Budget per day: US$60 - $150
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Sendai is one of the most beautiful cities which is present in the Tohoku region of the country japan; this city is also the capital city of this country. It is the largest city in the Tohoku region. This city is a trendy tourist spot, and every year millions of tourists pay a visit to this city as it has some really good places to explore. It is extremely important for the tourists to travel in this city with full responsibility; they should follow all the government rules during the trip to Sendai.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality of this city is moderate, and it is not ideal for sensitive groups; such people should wear masks if they want to go out. There is a definite need to improve the quality of air of the city as it can cause some severe health complexities amongst the local residents of this city. The pollution rates of this city are also quite high, the main reason behind pollution in this city is vehicles which run on fossil fuels.
Respect the Culture
The city of Sendai has a prosperous heritage of culture. The residents celebrate so many festivals every year in which they wear traditional dresses, do traditional dance, and eat traditional food. Tourists should definitely try to attend the cultural events which are being carried in this city as they will get to know more about the culture of this city. Tourists are requested not to say anything against the culture of this city, and they should respect the culture and should strictly not disrespect it.
Top 10 Places to Visit
There are so many beautiful and fascinating places in this city and because of these people from other countries want to visit this city. Names of 10 places of this city which tourists should definitely pay a visit during their trip to this city are mentioned below.
• Osaki hachimangu- Osaki hachimangu is one of the most famous sightseeing spots in the city of Sendai, and every year in the vacations, this place is always filled with visitors. This place is good for nature lovers as it is covered from trees, the buildings present in this place are historical.
• Sendai-shi Yagiyama zoo- This zoo is present in Yagiyamahoncho, Taihaku of the city Sendai; this zoo has so many different kinds of animals like giraffes, rhinos, tigers, etc., here they are kept safe and away from human interaction. Tourists should definitely visit this zoo as they will get to see animals which they won't be able to see in their own country.
• Kokuei Michinoku morinokohan park- Kokuei Michinoku morinokohan park is present in Nihonmatsu, Ono, Kawasaki, near the city of Sendai; this park is considered to be the finest parks of this city. The water fountains present in this park will fascinate the visitors as they are the center of attraction.
• Akiho Otaki- This is a magnificent waterfall present in Akihocho, Taihaku, of the city Sendai. This is one of the most beautiful sightseeing spots in this city, and it has millions of visitors every year. This waterfall is 6 meters wide and has a height of around 55 meters, and this place is perfect for nature lovers. • Nakita park- Nanakita park is present in Yanagi, Nanakita, Izumi of the city Sendai; this place is just 5 minutes away from the Sendai-no-izumichuo station. This park has a rich cover of trees, and it has more than 3000 trees; the place is perfect for nature photography, and one can get some perfect clicks of nature in this park.
• Sasakawa-kan- Sasakama is the most famous food that every local resident of this city, and sasakama-kan is not a better place where people can consume this food. It is present in Tsurushiro, Wakabayashi of the city Sendai, and people can opt for any public transportation to reach here.
• Sendai mangekyo museum- Sendai mangekyo museum is present in Matsuba, Monica, Taihaku of Sendai; this museum is famous for its Kaleidoscope tricks. Kaleidoscope will definitely fascinate the visitors; this museum is maintained very nicely by the local staff of this museum. Kids will definitely enjoy visiting here as they will get to experience something new in this museum.
• Sendai asaichi- Sendai asaichi is also known as the kitchen of Sendai as it is the most crowded market in this city. It is present in Chuo, Aoba of the city Sendai, this market is always filled by the people who come here to purchase fresh food commodities as the rates are very affordable here.
• Sendai uminomori aquarium- Sendai uminomori aquarium is a very famous place amongst the tourists present in Nakano, Miyagino of the city Sendai. People get to see too many different species of sea animals in this aquarium, which are kept and taken here very nicely.
• Yagiyama Benyland - Yagiyama Benyland is an amusement park present in Nagamachikoeji, Taihaku of the city Sendai; this park has more than 30 rides is one of the most favorite places of the kids of this city. This park is very nicely maintained by the loc staff, and the rides are also in very good shape.
The city of Sendai is worth a one time visit as it has so many places where both the local residents and the tourists can explore. The public transportation of this city helps people enhance the experience of exploration furthermore especially for the people who live in this city. This city has some really good museums where tourists should definitely visit as they will get to know so many interesting facts regarding this city. This city also has some brilliant nature parks, and the nature parks are perfect for nature lovers.
The city of Sendai has some really good city parks where people can visit here with their kids, and they will definitely have a great time here; names of some of the city parks which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
• Nishikicho Park- This is an extremely beautiful park which is present in the Aoba Ward of the city Sendai, this park is one of the most popular parks in this city, and daily, hundreds of people pay a visit to this park.
• Tsutsujigaoka Park- This is another very beautiful park present in Miyagino Ward of the city Sendai. This park is famous for its so many cherry blossom trees that fascinate every visitor of this park.
National park is a first choice place amongst the people who are nature lovers, the atmosphere in national parks is extremely peaceful and very relaxing. Names of the National parks which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
• Yagiyama Zoological Park- This zoological park is the most famous national park in this city, which is present in Taihaku-Ku of the city Sendai. This Zoological park has so many wild animals that are kept here away from human interaction.
• Botanical Garden of Tohoku University- This is a very famous botanical garden present in Kawauchi, Aoba-Ku of the city Sendai. This park has so many different species of plants which fascinate the tourists.
Beaches are one of those places perfect for a family outing. Families can enjoy a picnic here with the most relaxing atmosphere, the names of beaches which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
• Phukanuma beach - This beach is considered one of the most visited beaches of this city, and this beautiful beach is always occupied by visitors. It is a perfect place for people who love to do outdoor activities.
• Peer beach- This is another very beautiful beach which is present in the city of Sendai, and tourists should definitely pay a visit to this place as they will definitely have a perfect time over this beach.
The city of Sendai is famous for its historical landmarks, which enhance the beauty of this city, landmarks present in this city are the main reason that this city has so many visitors every year. Names of some of the landmarks which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
• Sendai Castle- This is a very fascinating place to visit for every tourist which is present in the Aoba Ward of the city Sendai. In the year 2003, this castle was designated as the national historic site.
• Zuihōden Temple- This is a very famous temple which is present in Otamayashita, Aoba Ward of the city Sendai. This temple is richly covered with forest, and the environment of this place is extremely peaceful.
The city of Sendai has some outstanding museums; each museum of this city is best in its own way and has a different significance. Names of some of the museums which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
• Sendai City Museum- This famous museum is present in Kawauchi, Aoba Ward of the city Sendai; this museum is the main museum of this city. This museum has various artifacts that are related to the date clan, and this museum also displays the history of this city.
• The Miyagi Museum of Art- This is another extremely famous museum which is present in Kawauchi Motohasekura, Aoba Ward of the city Sendai. This museum was opened in 1981.
Tourists who are on a trip to the city of Sendai should definitely eat the local and traditional food of this city, the local and traditional food is very good in taste. Grilled beef tongue is one of the most famous and consumed foods in Sendai's city, and it is basically made from the soft part of the tongue of the beef, which is sliced, grilled, and then served. Zundamochi is a sweet dish that is considered one of the most consumed desserts of this city, and this dish consists of mochi, which has a paste of crushed and boiled edamame.
Traditional Local Restaurants
In Sendai, there are so many good traditional local restaurants that serve quality to their customers. These restaurants are perfect for the tourists as they will make them eat the cuisine of this city. Every traditional local restaurant of t his city has its own rates and specialties; people can visit any of the traditional local restaurants as per their budget and the specialty of the restaurant. Names of some of the restaurants which are present in this city are mentioned below.
● Rigoletto Tapas Lounge
Vegetarian and Vegan
In the city of Sendai, there are some really good restaurants for people who are completely vegetarian and vegan also. Vegetarian tourists should ask any of the local residents of this city about the vegetarian restaurants; vegan restaurants are also available in this city that serves proper vegan food that is free from animal derivatives. Names of some of the vegetarian and vegan restaurants which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
● VEGETARIAN CAFE LOONEY
● Easy life cafe
The local residents of this city are very fond of eating street food. It tastes good and very affordable, mainly people who cannot afford to consume the food in restaurants consume it on street stalls. Tourists should also consume Street food as they will get to eat the local food of this city at meager prices. There are so many Street food spaces where people can consume Street food in this city; the names of some of them are mentioned below.
● Hana no Mai Sendai Minamicho Street| Seafood pub
● Umami Tasuke
The local people of this city are very fond of consuming drinks, alcoholic drinks are very common amongst the people of this city, and they consume them every day. People under 20 years of age in this city are not allowed to consume alcoholic drinks, and there are strict punishments against the people who will consume them before 20 years of age. Names of some of the most common drinks which are consumed in this city are mentioned below.
● Sake (Rice Wine)
● Shochu, Awamori
The tap water of this city is considered safe for human consumption as it does not have any harmful microorganisms, which can cause various health complexities in the human body. Although certain radioactive particles were observed in the tap water of the city, agencies are trying all the measures to treat the water and remove the radioactive particles. Some of this city's local people have started using water purifiers to get neat, clean, and safe water for consumption.
In the city of Sendai, there are various organic cafes where people love to visit daily to drink tea and coffee, the customers always occupy these cafes during the morning. Starting the day with a caffeinated drink helps the people of this city gain energy for the whole day. Tea and coffee are the most consumed drinks after alcoholic drinks, and the local residents are very fond of consuming them. Names of some of the organic cafes which are present in this city are mentioned below.
● SENDAI COFFEE STAND
● Organic cafe Soul Tree
The local people of this city are very fond of drinking beer, and because of this, various breweries are present in the city of Sendai to fulfill the beer requirements of the local people. These breweries produce high-quality beer both for the people of the city and also for the other regions. Beer is a very common drink in this city as it has low alcoholic content and does not cause any harm to the body. Names of some of the breweries of this city are mentioned below.
● Sapporo breweries
● Kirin breweries
There are so many activities for the local people and the tourists in this city to do, because of this every year millions of tourists pay a visit to this city. People who love to do outdoor activities should definitely visit the beaches present in Sendai's city. People who love to go on adventures can visit the nature parks which are present in this city, and people can also visit the wildlife sanctuaries of this city. The water parks present in this are also a perfect place to visit with a family during the summer.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is a very common practice practiced by most of the local residents of this city. The city of Sendai has so many wonderful yoga retreats where so many people visit daily to do yoga. Yoga is helping so many people in the whole world to attain mental peace and remain healthy and fit; as the years are passing by, yoga is becoming more and more popular amongst the people of the whole country. Names of some of the yoga retreats present in this city are mentioned below.
● HOLT yoga studio Sendai
● Cosmic yoga
Getting an ideal accommodation is the most important factor for all the tourists who are planning a trip to any part of this world. In the city of Sendai, there are so many modes of accommodation which are available both for the local people and the tourists, and people can choose any one of them as per their needs, requirements and budget. Modes of accommodation that are very common and are opted by most people in this city are mentioned below.
In the city of Sendai, various green hotels are totally eco-friendly, and these hotels do not degrade or pollute the environment in any way. Every commodity used by the hotel staff or provided to their customers is completely organic. Organic commodities are good for the environment, but it is also extremely good and safe for human beings. Names of some of the outstanding green hotels which are present in this city are mentioned below.
● Hotel Green Mark
● Hotel Premium Green Plus
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostel is another perfect and convenient mode of accommodation, which is mostly chosen by the students who come to this city to study. Names of some of the hostels which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
● COSSE SENDAI HOSTEL
● Maple Sendai youth hostel
Guesthouses are also one of the best modes of accommodation which are opted mostly by the tourists who are on a trip to this city. Names of guest houses present in this city are mentioned below.
● Sendai Guesthouse Umebachi
● Sendai keyaki guest house
There are so many apartments which are present in the city of Sendai, this mode of accommodation is opted by the local people of this city who cannot afford to purchase their own house. There are so many agencies present in this city that provide apartments on rent and sell the apartments to the people of this city. Names of some of the most convenient apartments which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
● Miyagi apartments
● Sendai Aoba apartments
Couch surfing is quite a budget-friendly practice that is practiced by so many people, especially tourists in the city of Sendai. Tourists who have local friends or relatives in this city will definitely get so many benefits, and this practice saves a lot of money from the tourists on food and accommodation. Local friends and relatives will help their visitors explore this city properly. They will suggest to their visitors the places they should visit in this city. They will also let them know about the public transportation of this city.
Camping is another prevalent practice that is practiced by the local people of this city; they practice camping on off days. In Sendai, there are various camping centers where people interested in going camping can go and practice it without facing any difficulties as these centers have all the necessary facilities and safety measures for their visitors. These camping centers provide their visitors with all the necessary commodities which are required to practice camping, and the charges are also very affordable.
How to Get There
Getting to the city of Sendai is very easy as there are so many modes of transportation which are available in the country of Japan, people can choose any mode of transportation so as to reach this city. The city of Sendai has an excellent network of railways, and it is very nicely connected to all the other urban and major cities of the country so people can travel on trains to reach this city. Air transportation is also very well developed in this city, so people can also opt for air transportation if they are from another country.
The city of Sendai has a very well developed air transportation. This city has one airport named Sendai international airport, which is also one of Japan's busiest airports. Every day flights from all over the world land and take off from the airport, direct flights are also available for this city. People have pre-booked their tickets online; booking tickets online is the most convenient mode for booking tickets and choosing the seat.
The city of Sendai has an excellently connected roadway. The maintenance of the roads of this city is also quite good, making road transportation much easier and more convenient for this city. The ticket prices of buses are very cheap, and anyone can afford it easily. In this city, there are both private and government buses available. The ticket price of government buses is lower than private buses. Names of bus stations which are present in this city are mentioned below.
● Sendai Station East Exit Sakura Terminal
● Sendai Ekimae Bus Stop
Trains are one of the most opted modes of transportation in the city of Sendai; daily, thousands of people travel through the trains to reach their respective destinations on time. The trains of this city follow a rigorous timetable, and they always run on time to make their passengers reach their destinations on time. In the city of Sendai, there are various railway station names of some of the railway stations of this city are mentioned below.
● Sendai Station
● Minami-Sendai Station
Hitchhiking is a prevalent practice done by most of the local people of this city. The residents are humble enough to drop their fellow residents on the way to their respective destinations. Tourists can ask for hitchhiking on the way from the local people as they are not aware of the routes of this city. However, people should be extremely aware while hitchhiking others as there is a very high risk of getting robbed.
Other modes of transportation which are available in the city of Sendai are taxis. In the city of Sendai, various taxi hiring agencies provide their taxis on rent to their customers. Although this mode of transportation is one of the most costly modes of transportation in this city, people who want to hire a taxi should directly contact the taxi hiring agencies of this city. Some agencies are also present in this city, which provides bikes on rent; people who love to go on bike rides should definitely hire a bike.
Moving around in the city of Sendai is extremely easy as it has so many modes of transportation; people can choose any one of these modes of transportation as per their budget and requirements. The tourists need to explore the whole nearby area of their accommodation as they will get to know new things and information about the city Sendai. Tourists should opt for public buses to explore the nearby area as traveling in these buses are very affordable.
The local people of Sendai are very fond of going on a long walk every day. In the city of Sendai, various city parks have walking tracks for the people's convenience. Tourists should also visit any of the nearby city parks to go on a walk and relax themselves in the atmosphere of these city parks. Going on a walk is an excellent exercise that helps keep the body fit; going on a walk is also very helpful in exploring the nearby places.
In the city of Sendai, people can be seen using bicycles if they have to go to nearby places. The use of bicycles is eco-friendly as it does not cause any kind of pollution, whether it be air or noise pollution. There are some agencies in the city of Sendai who provide bicycles to the people on rent at very low prices. Local people are trying not to use vehicles that release harmful chemicals into the environment, and they opt for public transportation if they have to go to a faraway place.
Electric vehicles have the upper hand over the vehicles that run on fossil fuels; electric vehicles do not cause any kind of pollution. They do not release any of the harmful chemical compounds that cause adverse effects on the environment. In the city of Sendai also so many local residents have started the use of electric vehicles as these vehicles have so many benefits over the vehicles which run on petrol or diesel.
Public buses in this city are very punctual and are always on time, and people don't have to wait for so long to get into their respective buses. The ticket price of these buses is also very affordable, and people get facilities for booking their seats online. Different routes of this city have different buses, so people have to change buses on the way if their destination is at the edge of the city. These buses are a really good option for the tourists as they are not aware about the routes of this city.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trams were present in the city of Sendai, but they got removed as soon as the vehicles came into the play. The city of Sendai has an outstanding network of railways, and because of this, trains are also considered the lifeline of this city. In the city of Sendai, there is another very convenient mode of transportation, which is subways, there are various subway stations in this city, and so many people travel every day through them.
Sustainable shopping is an extremely effective way to lower the rates of environmental degradation; sustainable commodities are made up of completely eco-friendly substances and do not cause any kind of harm to the environment. In the city of Sendai also there are so many sustainable shops, and the local people also like to buy sustainable commodities; the names of some of the sustainable shops of this city are mentioned below.
● Hapina Nakakecho Shopping Arcade
● Bunka Yokocho
In the city of Sendai, there are so many food markets from where the people of the whole city purchase food commodities for themselves. The food markets of this city sell very good quality food materials, and these food markets give heavy discounts to their customers on festivals to keep them engaged. Names of food markets that are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
● Sendai Asaichi Morning Market
● Food Market Fujisaki
● Meidi-ya Ichibancho
Flea markets are such kinds of places where people get to purchase every commodity which they will require in their day to day activities. The materials on sale on these flea markets are way cheaper than the local markets of this city, and because of this, flea markets are preferred by most of the people of this city. Names of some of the flea markets present in this city are mentioned below.
● Sendai Asaichi
● Tatehana Wharf Asaichi Hachinohe
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand stores are one of the favorite stores amongst the middle-class people of this city to purchase commodities that they cannot buy in new condition. People can purchase things at very affordable prices, but the commodities will be pre-used, so everyone should check the material properly and then purchase it. Names of some of the second-hand stores which are present in the city of Sendai are mentioned below.
● BOOK OFF SUPER BAZAAR Aeonsendai Store
Many people in this city have now used clothes made up of eco-friendly materials, and these clothes are perfect for the environment as they do not cause environmental degradation. Such clothes are also perfect for human use as they are free from any kind of harmful chemical substances which irritate the human skin. Various agencies of this city have successfully made clothes from non-biodegradable waste as they have enhanced technologies.
The city of Sendai is doing a great job in recycling waste. Several agencies in Sendai have enhanced technologies and instruments that can recycle any kind of material, whether it be non-biodegradable waste or e-waste. The government of this city is also carrying out awareness programs in which they tell all the basic techniques that the local people can follow for recycling the materials.
Waste management of this city is extremely good as there are several waste management agencies in the city of Sendai, which are managing the waste of the whole city very nicely without facing any problems. These management agencies have all the enhanced technologies that help them manage every kind of waste in this city. Strict rules are made in this city on the people who will not throw their garbage in the dustbin, and tourists should follow all the necessary guidelines during their trip to the city of Sendai.
Work and Study Abroad
The city of Sendai has ample amount of job opportunities for the loc people of this city; people can choose any of the jobs as per their needs and interests. The universities present in this city provide chances for their students to settle abroad. However, settling abroad requires a lot of money, and not everyone can afford to settle abroad. A lot of students of this city settled abroad very conveniently, but one has to be talented and should work with full dedication to get a chance to settle abroad.
The universities which are present in the city of Sendai carry out exchange programs every year for the students of other regions so that they can get a chance to study in the universities of this city. In Sendai's city, there are so many universities that carry exchange programs, the names of some of the universities of this city are mentioned below.
● Sendai Shirayuri Women's College
● Sendai Seiyo Gakuin College
● Tohoku Institute of Technology Nagamachi Campus
Au pair agencies are not so common in Sendai as this city has an ample amount of job opportunities for the local people of this city. However, these au pair agencies have helped the people of this city get a job if they cannot find a job anywhere else in this city.
Volunteering is one of the most common and also one of the most effective practices which is done by so many people of this city to get a decent job. This practice has successfully helped so many local people of this city get a decent job and earn their living.