Eco-friendly travel guide to Sri Lanka advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Sri Lanka, Asia.
- Air quality: 2/ 5
- Bus connections: 4/ 5
- Train connections: 4 / 5
- Hitchhiking:4 / 5
- National parks: 3.5/ 5
- Outdoor activities: 3/ 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$15 $40
- Budget per day: US$20- $50
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Srilanka is an extremely beautiful island country of southern Asia. Earlier known by the name Ceylon. Srilanka is present in the Indian ocean, slightly southwest to the great bay of Bengal. The most important city of Srilanka is Colombo, which is also the capital of Srilanka. It is a very beautiful country and every year more than millions of tourists pay a visit here. Srilanka is a tourist spot, and there are so many places to visit here. Tourists visiting here need to follow all the guidelines as a tourist. Tourists should not harm the environment of Srilanka in any way. Tourists should not drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes in public places. Tourists should respect the culture of this country and should make fun of their culture.
Air Quality and Pollution
Srilanka comes under the list of rapidly developing countries and is very polluted due to excessive human activities. The air quality of Srilanka is inferior. There are so many harmful pollutants in the air, which can harm the human body. And because of this people living here are surfing from various respiratory diseases. Studies show that the number of people getting diagnosed with lung cancer is increasing day by day. Pollution rate in Srilanka is high. It comes amongst the highly polluted countries in the world. Gampaha is the most polluted city of Srilanka with 88 US AQI. Locals have started ways to tackle air pollution. People living in Colombo have started to reduce air pollution by following proper waste disposal technique. They are not burning substances which release harmful compounds to the environment and pollute them. Thus, the Air quality of Colombo is excellent.
Respect the Culture
Srilanka is a magnificent and a cultural country. People living here earlier got influenced by Buddhism. So many people started following this religion. The people of Sri Lanka are very conscious when it comes to respecting their culture. They cannot hear anything against their culture. They have a tremendous amount of respect for their culture. Locals expect the same amount of respect which they are giving to their culture from the tourists also. So tourists should hurt their sentiments by disrespecting their culture. As a tourist, one should get involved in their cultural activities as this will help the tourists to know more about their culture. Every tourist should get involved in cultural activities as this will help them to remember this trip for a very long time.
Top 10 Places to Visit
There are so many tourist attraction spots present in Srilanka some of them are mentioned below.
• Bentota beach- Bentota beach is the most famous beach in Srilanka. Tourists can experience some adventurous activities over here like snorkelling, sailing, surfing and many more. This beach is also a conservation centre for 5 out of 7 species of sea turtles. People can come and observe this also.
• Nuwara Eliya - Country of Srilanka is just so famous for its tea manufacturing and production. Nuwara Eliya is Srilanka's tea-producing capital. Wide varieties of tea are present in this place. This place produces the highest amount of tea for its country and then export it.
• Anuradhapura- This place is very ancient. It is a sacred place where locals come, visit and worship. It is a Buddha temple, and people from all the cities come and worship here. Temple is very nicely built and maintained. Tourists must pay a visit to this place.
• City of Colombo- This is the capital city of Srilanka. Extremely beautiful place to visit for tourists. Tourists have so many places where they can pay I visit in Colombo. Like some sacred places, parks, national parks, beaches and landmarks. It is also called the heart of Srilanka.
• Yala national park- This National park is spread in approximately 240 kilometres from Colombo. Tourists can enjoy jungle safari here. So many animals can be seen here like leopards, water buffaloes, elephants. This national park has bird species of around 200.
• Mirissa - Mirissa is a tropical beach. Tourists should visit here as the environment is really relaxing. It has coconut trees and a beautiful beach. This place is suitable for a family outing.
• Polonnaruwa- This place is the oldest kingdom of Srilanka. So many people visit this place daily. Tourists also pay a visit here as it is an ancient place.
• Kandy- This city is the second-largest city situated in Srilanka after Colombo. Tooth Relic temple of this city is the most worshipped and famous temple in the whole world. Kandy is filled with tourists attraction spots.
• Galle- Another Beautiful city present in Srilanka, with so many, must-visit places for the tourists. There are a few cathedrals here which tourists can visit. Some beautiful landmarks. This city also has a few sacred places where so many people come to worship.
• Sigiriya- Sigiriya is a stunning landmark present in Srilanka. The shape of the rocks will fascinate every tourist visiting here. It is as high as 600 feet. Tourists will come across ponds and some gardens over here.
Sri Lanka has so many places to explore. Tourists need 2-3 weeks to explore the whole Srilankan country properly. The beautiful island has an open heart for all its tourists and is a spot for wonderful parks and beaches. Places to explore in this country are mentioned below.
There are so many parks in Srilanka some of them are mentioned below
• Beira Lake Park- This park is perfect for a family outing. It is present in the centre of Colombo city. A very environmentally friendly place, incredibly peaceful and relaxing. It has a lake and alongside a sitting area and walking path—a great place to stress yourselves out.
• City Park- City Park is present in Galle, Srilanka. It is a stunning park. Tourists can enjoy a picnic here. There is a restaurant here where visitors can come and enjoy food in the environment. This park has a very relaxing atmosphere.
• Visuvamadu Park- This park is present in Visuvamadu city of Srilanka. This park is made especially for the kids. Tourists visiting here with a family should definitely visit here with their kids. There are so many slides and swings in this park for the kids.
There are so many national parks present in Srilanka some of them are mentioned below
• Udawalawe National Park- This national park is famous for its elephants. They have different species of elephants here. They have around 450 elephants in this National park. It is also suitable for bird watching. So many species of birds can be seen here.
• Wasgamuwa National Park- This National park also has so many elephant species here. Leopards and bears are also present here. Tourists found them more fascinating as they can experience them from a very close distance.
• Sinharaja Forest Reserve- This National park is famous for its wide varieties of birds. If anyone has an interest in Avery, then he/she should visit this place. Very beautiful and fascinating birds are found here. Wild animals are also present here like leopards, tigers, barking deer and many more.
• Narigama beach- Narigama beach is present in Hikkaduwa. This beach is immaculate and clean. The maintenance of this beach is really good. Water currents are a delight for every tourist visiting here—the right place relaxing and stressing out.
• Passikudah Beach- A very beautiful beach in Srilanka. Some good resorts are present here. Restaurants are also present if tourists feel hungry. This beach has all the necessary facilities which a visitor wants. Staff is amiable and treats everyone nicely.
• Ahungalla Beach- This beach is present in Ahungalla, Srilanka. This beach is spread in a vast surface area. Thus so many people can enjoy it altogether here. Water currents are powerful, so people should be cautious.
• Sigiriya rock fortress- You can see this beautiful fortress in Sigiriya, Srilanka. This is a lovely place and a must-visit place for tourists. UNESCO named this fortress as the most dramatic landmark of the world. And due to this, it became extremely famous in the whole country.
• Quadrangle- This place can be found in Polonnaruwa, Srilanka. This place has so many different ancient structures which attract the tourists over here. There are so many Buddha figures here. It is also a sacred place.
• Adam's Peak- This peak is situated at the height of 2243 metres above the sea level. This place is one of those places which is most celebrated. After reaching the top, there is a figure of Lord Buddha. The whole city can be seen from the top view, and it looks just so wonderful.
• National Museum- This beautiful museum can be found in Colombo. This museum was made in 1877. The national museum is the oldest and largest museum of Srilanka. It has the ancient history of Colombo. It contains more than 4000 manuscripts of pal leaf.
• The Dutch Museum- This museum is found in Colombo, Srilanka. The building is very ancient and made in the Dutch colonial era. This museum lets the tourists know about the Dutch legacy. They have furniture, costumes present in the past.
• The National Maritime Museum- This ancient museum is present in Galle, Srilanka. It has so many artefacts regarding marine life. This museum let the tourists know about maritime history. Diagrams of some old fishing method, some sea fishes are present here.
- Food is the basic necessity of everyone's life. Good and healthy food is essential for human beings. People of Srilanka are food lovers. They want their food to be perfect, and it should be according to their requirements. There are so many dishes famous in Srilanka. Every tourist visiting Srilanka wants to eat Srilankan cuisine. There are so many restaurants in Srilanka with so many cuisines. Srilanka is an island, so the consumption of seafood is very high here. List of foods which tourists should try in Srilanka is mentioned below.
● Fish ambul thiyal
● Kukul mas curry
People living in Srilanka are very fond of drinking. Whether it be cocktails or alcoholic drinks, consumption of alcoholic drinks is very common in Srilanka. People consume these drinks mainly on special occasions or parties. Many people in Sri Lanka are fond of drinking beer. Srilanka is known for its tea manufacturing and production. So locals consume tea every day in Srilanka. Toddy is a Srilankan drink consumed by the locals. It is extracted from palm trees and is mildly alcoholic. Arrack is another alcoholic drink with a high concentration of alcohol in it. It is extracted from the sap of palm trees. Exceptionally famous beer in Srilanka is lion beer. Fresh coconut water is also the choice of local people of Srilanka.
People living in Srilanka avoid drinking tap water directly. As it has so many microorganisms which can cause harm to human health. Although the tap water is Srilanka is safe to drink, as it has so no chemical compounds which are poisonous for human beings. But still, people never consume it. Even the tourists are asked not to drink tap water directly. They are provided with packaged drinking water bottles. People living in Srilanka use water purifiers to filter this water and then consume it. Water purifiers filter all the harmful microorganisms from the tap water and make it safe for consumption. Another option is packaged drinking water. But it is also not safe if anyone consumes it for more extended periods as it has some chemical compounds inside it.
Srilanka is an admirable country island where tourists have so many places to visit. There are so many cities in Srilanka, and every city has its significance and ancestry. There are so many tourist spots for the tourists visiting Srilanka. There are so many national parks and wildlife sanctuaries in Srilanka where tourists can see wide varieties of domestic and wild animals. There are some national parks where so many species of birds are found. Srilanka has so many ancient landmarks where tourists can visit and gain some knowledge about them. There are some historical and ancient museums which let the tourists know about the culture and heritage of Srilanka. Srilanka is a lovely place to visit. Beaches are very famous in Srilanka. Tourists can also visit here and relax themselves as the environment here is very peaceful. Tourists also get so many adventurous things to do in Srilanka like jungle safari, snorkelling, surfing etc.
If any tourist is planning a trip to Srilanka, the first thing the tourist should do is get proper accommodation for themselves. Getting a reasonable accommodation is extremely important for any tourist, as for the whole trip they have to live there. Tourists can choose their accommodation as per their needs and requirements. An ideal accommodation is an accommodation which has all the necessary facilities which a tourist needs while he is living. There are so many different kinds of accommodations where tourists can live during their trip. Most tourists choose hotels as their accommodation as they have so many facilities for visitors. Guest Houses are also there for accommodation.
Hotels are the most highly preferred accommodations. Tourists mostly prefer to stay here throughout their trip. Hotels are incredibly comfortable and have so many facilities for visitors. They can be booked online. They have their details on the site and from their tourists can book a room and make the payment. They have all the necessary facilities for every visitor. They give three meals a day. Which contains breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tourists can decide the menu themselves and ask them to send the dish they want to eat. They have cuisines of almost every country. They also have swimming pools where tourists can sit and relax. They have small gardens where tourists can go on a walk. They also have a play area where kids can play.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Female tourists most prefer to live in hostels. They are a good source of accommodation for such kinds of tourists. This accommodation is very safe for women. Tourists can book it for the number for days they want to live in there. Staff is really polite and good. Services given by them are also outstanding. They provide their visitors with three daily meals. Which contains breakfast, lunch and dinner. But tourists can't decide their menu on their own. They have to eat whatever they are given to eat. There are so many restrictions in hostels. There is time bondage after that they do not allow tourists to enter. As they are very concerned about their visitors. Guesthouses are one of the most comfortable modes of accommodation. Maintainance of guest houses is really good. Mainly tourists who have a low budget opt for this accommodation. They are very budget-friendly. Rates of guest houses are less when compared with hotels. They provide their visitors with three daily meals. It contains breakfast, lunch and dinner. The staff of guests house decides the menu. Tourists cannot ask for food according to them. They have 24 hours of check-in and check out. Tourists can check in anytime they want in guest houses. They have well-furnished rooms. Mainly people who are on an office trip opt for guest houses as their accommodation
Tourists who are on a long trip to Srilanka, can rent apartments and live there. If tourists are on a trip for 2-3 weeks, then renting for an apartment is the best way of accommodation. Apartments are of great comfort. Living in apartments gives the residents with all the privacy they require. Tourists with an office trip mainly opt for this accommodation. If tourists live in hotels for so many days, they will charge a very high amount of money. Apartments are very budget-friendly. Every room of the apartment has one hall, one kitchen, one washroom, and bedroom. The number of bedrooms can be increased as per the requirement of the visitor. Residents can get 1 or 2 bedrooms in their apartment. Rates of 2BHK are slightly more than 1BHK. Renting apartments in Srilanka is very easy; one can book them online.
Couch surfing is the best accommodation any tourist can get. This accommodation gives so many benefits to the tourists. If any tourist has a local Sri Lankan friend or relative, then nothing can be better than this. If anyone has the facility of couch surfing, then he/she should definitely opt for. Local friends or relatives will help them if they face any difficulty during the trip. Local relatives will let them know about the various famous and must-visit places of Srilanka. They will also tell their guests how to reach these places. Which transportation method is the best and the most convenient for them. Locals will help the guests in the exploration. Couch surfing makes everything easy for every tourist. They don't need to roam in every restaurant for their cuisine. Locals will let them know about all the restaurants and which will be good for them. They will also make them consume the local food of Srilanka.
Srilanka is very famous for Camping. Locals very often like to do Camping on off days. There are so many Camping sites in Srilanka. Where locals and tourists can go and enjoy Camping. Adventurous people want to do Camping in jungles. Where they have so everything on their own, they need to put a tent first. Then they have to make their food. They need to go in search of some sticks for the bonfire at night. Tourists can try this option if they want adventure in their life. If they want more adventure in their life then, they can also go to a jungle, and there they can go Camping. This is very risky as there are so many wild animals in the jungles of Srilanka so one should be aware of some basic tips like how to handle a situation like this. There are so many camping areas in Srilanka. They just charge a significantly less amount. They just take money for the place where the tourists will put up their tents. They will provide you with all the safety measures.
Getting There and Moving Around
Every year, so many people across the whole world come to pay a visit to Srilanka. There are so many sacred places in Srilanka. Buddhism is the religion, followed by almost everyone in this country. Some very ancient Buddha temples are present in Srilanka. There are so many people in this whole country who follow Buddhism as their religion. There are so many activities which take place in these sacred places. People from the entire world come to Srilanka and attend them. Mainly tourists arrive in Srilanka through air transportation. Srilanka has well-developed air transportation. It has so many international airports. People can also come to Srilanka by trains. Although opting for a train is very time consuming. Srilanka also has very nicely connected road transportation. There are so many options when it comes to road transportation in Srilanka. People can travel by private or government buses. People can hire a taxi and then travel. Srilanka has a tourist attraction place and year by year visitors in Srilanka are increasing.
Srilanka is rapidly developing, and everything over here is very nicely designed. Air transportation is the primary mode of transportation in Srilanka. Every day millions of people travel in aeroplanes. As they are very comfortable and very convenient for transportation. This mode of transportation is used when one has to cover a very long distance at a very less time. That too very comfortably. Although this mode of transportation is a bit expensive. There are in total five international airports in Srilanka. They serve day and night for the people. List of international airports present in Srilanka are mentioned below
- Batticaloa international airport
- Bandaranaike international airport
- Ratmalana international airport
- Mattala Rajapaksa international airport
- Jaffna international airport
These are the international airports where tourists from all over the world arrive at Srilanka. All these airports have all the necessary facilities for the passengers. There are so many international flights which land and take off from these international airports. Passengers never face any difficulty regarding the flight timings. A digital information board is present in all the airports which provide all the necessary information about all the flights.
Srilanka has excellent road transportation. Every city is nicely connected to each other. There are two kinds of buses in Srilanka. One bus which runs between a city and connects two or more cities. Another bus is the public bus which runs inside every city. This bus covers the whole city. Bus services of Srilanka are fabulous. Passengers don't need to wait for a very long time for buses. All the buses follow a rigorous time table. And all the buses run according to the time table is made. Fares of these buses are also very affordable. Anyone can travel through these buses. These buses are incredibly comfortable. They have all the necessary facilities for their passengers. Many buses have sleeper coaches, AC, and TV. So if any tourist who has to go to a very distant place, he/she will take a longer time to reach their destination. Tourists have a facility of entertainment in buses where they cannot get bored. There are so many bus stations in every city of Srilanka, some of them are mentioned below
- Rajagiriya bus stop
- Dambulla main bus station
- Bastian Mawatha bus station.
Railway routes are nicely connected and maintained in Srilanka. There are railway routes in every city in Srilanka. Every town is improved in this country. People have the choice of trains if they want to travel to a city which is far away. The train takes less time when compared to buses. They are much more affordable than buses. Their fares are less than the fares of buses. Every city of Srilanka has multiple railway stations. Construction of railway tracks on some more routes is going on in every city. The goal is to connect every remote area to the cities of Srilanka. Trains of Srilanka are mostly on time, and passengers always don't need to wait for so long. Every railway station has a digital board which gives all the information and timing of all the trains. Trains have all the necessary facilities for their passengers. They have toilets in trains. They have sleeper coaches. They have AC coaches and TV for entertainment of the passengers. Millions of people travel by train in Srilanka. There are so many railway stations in the country of Srilanka; some of them are mentioned below.
● Nugegoda Railway Station
● Mallakam Sub Railway Station
● Perakum Uyana Railway Station
● Medagama Sub Railway Station
● Elephant Pass Railway Station
Another very good way to travel in Srilanka is hitchhiking. People of Srilanka are incredibly humble and polite. They always like to help people in every way they can. One way is hitchhiking and hitchhiking means to drop a stranger to the place where he/she wants to reach. So many local people can be seen doing this practice. Tourists can opt for this method as they are not aware of the transportation services. On the way, they can ask them about the various transportation facilities. Through hitchhiking, tourists can make new friends. They can get all the information from them as locals are aware of every location in Srilanka. Tourists can also ask the places they should visit in Srilanka as there are so many places to visit in Srilanka. And one needs to know the best places that he/she should visit. Locals can also let the tourists know about the local food that they should definitely try. They can also suggest some brilliant restaurants.
Other than trains, buses and aeroplanes, there are taxis and tuk-tuks for transportation in Srilanka. This mode of transportation is very popular in Srilanka. And lots of people travel through tuk-tuks in Srilanka. These are autos which are named tuk-tuks by local people. There are thousands of people who are travelling through these autos every day. These autos are perfect if anyone wants to cover a short distance. They are very cheap, and services are also good. Auto drivers charge their fair as per the metre. They take money based on how many kilometres of distance was covered.
Taxis are another mode of transportation in Srilanka. Tourists are the ones who use this mode of transportation mostly. The hiring of a cab is very easy. One needs a mobile or a laptop, and they can book or hire it online. People can hire a taxi with or without a driver. People who are aware of all the routes of Srilanka don't prefer to hire a driver. They book a cab, and they are satisfied with it. But the people who are new to the place, unaware about the routes of the place. Then they hire a taxi with a driver for their convenience. Taxis are of great comfort and convenience. Taxi services in Srilanka are speedy and rapid. Drivers are very nicely trained and are very skilled also. They have all the knowledge regarding the place and help the passengers by giving them suggestions.
By the name sustainable shopping one can understand that purchasing of products which are derived sustainably. Sustainable products have so many benefits. Raw materials used in the manufacturing of these products don't cause any harm to the environment. And if the raw material used is free from any harmful substances, then the product obtained from such substances will also be harmless. These kinds of products contribute to our environment and our health. The process of obtaining these products starts from the raw materials used; the next step is the manufacturing process. In the manufacturing process, the use of any harmful substance is not allowed.
Next step is packaging where every product is packed correctly and the waste obtained after this whole process is adequately disposed of with the most suitable method. Sustainable shopping contributes so much to the environment. Every product is made from eco-friendly substances. Their disposal is very easy. Method of disposal is also very easy. And in every aspect, they keep the environment safe. Sustainable foods are also available in the market these days. These are produced from less use of chemicals and pesticides. Both of them are extremely harmful to human health. People living in Srilanka have started using products obtained sustainably. And every year the number of sustainable shops in Srilanka are increasing day by day, which is a perfect sign. Some of the sustainable stores are mentioned below.
● Green pearl Ceylon
● Green bag
● Green Building Council of Sri Lanka
● Sri Lanka Sustainable Energy Authority
Recycling is the best way to save nature and environment. People of Srilanka are now getting very serious regarding protecting the environment. Everyone is trying different methods to save the environment. Locals of Srilanka are trying to recycle products. They are trying to make some useful items from the products which can be recycled. These people are trying extremely hard to recycle PET which stands for polyethylene terephthalate. People are trying hard to eliminate plastics and recycle them. They have managed to recycle tons of plastics, which is a very good sign of progress. Different dustbins are kept in Srilanka, which has recyclable waste written on it. This phrase is written in English as well as the local language so that all the people can understand and use it properly.
Very modern technology has been started to use to recycle any plastic material. Earlier recycling of plastic products could not be done. As modern machinery and techniques were not there. But now it has become extremely easy. So many materials can be obtained after the recycling of substances. Manufacturing of clothes which are made from recycled materials has now been started. These clothes are eco-friendly, and their disposal after the use is also very easy. People of Srilanka are working hard to recycle every non-degradable substance. So that all these substances cannot harm the environment. People are also taking the initiative for their country, to protect its environment and contribute towards nature.
Waste management of Srilanka is not good. There are so many places where people pour their garbage and waste without any proper disposing methods. All these activities are degrading the environment. Environmental degradation is increasing day by day, and there is a definite need to reduce as it can cause so many problems later. There are two kinds of waste, biodegradable waste and non-biodegradable waste. Biodegradable waste is those which can be easily discomposed. But non-biodegradable waste takes hundreds of years to get decomposed. Non-biodegradable waste is extremely harmful to the environment. Disposal of this kind of waste is very challenging. There are other techniques which are now being used to dispose of this kind of waste.
Locals of Srilanka are taking the initiative to dispose of every waste with the correct method of disposal. Every scrap has a different disposal method. Non-biodegradable waste requires artificial decomposers so that it can get decomposed faster. People should be made aware of non-degradable waste. They should be taught the method of disposal of such kind of a waste so that they can opt the correct way of disposal and contribute towards the environment. Ceylon, a waste management company, is present in Srilanka to look after waste management. They have very innovative solutions for the disposal of any waste product. They have enhanced techniques for the disposal of electronic devices. They also have disposal techniques for the chemical industries. This company started a project in 2010 in which they are trying to refine gold, silver, platinum etc.
Work and Study Abroad
Work or job opportunities in Srilanka are so many. And the opportunities are increasing day by day. There are so many industries and companies in Srilanka where people can get a job. These companies provide jobs every year for the freshers and other people also. As the population of Srilanka is high, so the job opportunities are comparatively less. Not everyone in Srilanka gets a decent job. Everyone has to work hard, day and night to get a decent job and make their living. Therefore Srilanka is one of those countries where poverty rates are very high. Due to the lack of jobs, people have to do odd jobs to make their living. There are so many programs running in Srilanka under which people are getting jobs. People are now trying to get a job in transportation companies as job opportunities in these companies are very high.
The education system of Srilanka is really good. They provide their students with so many educational facilities. Every year they conduct so many educational programs for the students. They try hard to make every student successful. The every University of Srilanka provides quality education to all their respective students. But not every kid gets an education in Srilanka due to financial issues. The studies in Srilanka are very costly, and everyone cannot afford it. Universities of Srilanka also send their students abroad for further studies and help them settle abroad. But significantly less number of students get his chance as there are so many formalities to do. One should have a fair amount of money if they want to settle abroad.
There are so many programs, which are started by many Srilankan universities for international students. There are so many fields where exchange programs can be organised. And students from every field can enrol in this program. Exchange programs are very beneficial for every student. It helps them in their career development. Carrier development is one of the most important factors for any student who wants to get successful. Competition for exchange programs is very high. There is less number of seats available for these kinds of programs, but the competition for these seats is very high. Many deserving students who are incredibly talented and can achieve anything, and still they don't get a chance in these programs. Students have to work hard to get themselves enrolled in these programs. Although universities are increasing their seats every year, the competition is still relatively high. Some of the Srilankan universities are mentioned below.
● University of Colombo
● University of Sri jayewardenepura
● Southeastern University of Srilanka
● Wayamba University of Srilanka
● Eastern University of Srilanka
There is a lack of jobs and work in Srilanka. And people have to do odd jobs to make there living. Earning a livelihood is very difficult in the country of Srilanka. However, Srilanka is a very developed country, although the poverty rate of this country is very high. People of Srilanka do not get a good job opportunity. People who are capable and intelligent also do not get enough chances to prove themselves. However, poverty rates of Srilanka are reducing day by day. Au pair agencies are one of those agencies who started providing jobs to the needy ones. People can go and give their personal information there. People enrolling themselves into these agencies need to mention about the kind of job they want. As soon as these agencies get any similar kind of job, they inform the people. Jobs provided in Au pairing are nanny's, caretaker, helper and many more. Mostly poor people do these kinds of jobs. They get very low wages through these jobs but to make their living they have to work. These agencies have helped so many poor people by providing them with jobs.
Students who are studying or completed their graduation opt for volunteering. Here they go to various industries or companies to showcase their talents. Students learn work and also show what talent they have in them. They do not get paid for this. But if they get a job in any company by doing this, then, they can get benefited by doing volunteering. Practising volunteering is very time consuming and very challenging. Students need to work hard at volunteering. Due to the fewer job opportunities in Srilanka, people have to do all such practices to get a good job and make a living through it. Every year companies allow individual students to practice volunteering in their company. Then the one who performs better gets a permanent job. Competition for even a single seat is very high. One has to do something extraordinary to get a permanent job. Volunteering has changed many student's life as they got a very decent job after practising it. Some companies also give a nominal amount of money to every volunteer so that they can work more efficiently.
Volunteering is the best way to get a good job in Srilanka.