Eco-friendly travel guide to Sucre advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Sucre, Bolivia.
- Air quality: 4.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5/ 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$30 - $150
- Budget per day: US$70- $200
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Does your mind suggest heading towards South America for the holidays? Why not choose Sucre as your destination city? It is the capital city of Bolivia, and people describe it as Bolivia’s most beautiful city.
Some people might want to say that this is a quiet and small town. We cannot say that there is a high inflow of tourists to this city. However, it is a gem waiting to be discovered.
When visiting Sucre, it is ideal that you are a responsible tourist. This plays out in ensuring that you do not harm their environment or cause damage to any property in the city.
Air Quality and Pollution
We cannot state the air quality in your home city. However, allow us to tell you that Sucre is an environment with perfect air quality. It is no wonder why people are always compelled to visit this place.
When you visit Sucre, you have the assurance that nothing will go wrong with your health as it has excellent air quality. Many factors contribute to this place having excellent air quality.
One factor that stands clear is that the locals are conscious about the activities they do, ensuring that it does not pollute the air. Understandably, some of these activities may adversely affect air quality. However, they strive hard to ensure that their air quality stays high.
Respect the Culture
Some people say that you need to act like a roman when you are in Rome. This plays out when you are visiting a new place as it shows the locals respect.
You have to be respectful of everyone you meet when you are in a new place, including Sucre. This action depicts that you have a friendly aura and attracts people to interact with you.
We know that you do not want a situation where you are a loner in a new area. Thus, you have to act like the locals. It is best to try getting yourself involved in any activity that the locals do.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Some top places to visit in Sucre are:
• Cal Orcko: If you are a fan of archaeology, we know that you will be excited to visit this place. People describe it as a fossil bed in Bolivia. Visiting this place allows you to see dinosaur tracks that date back in time. Understandably, many people have never seen a dinosaur or its track as this animal has become extinct in many places. Thus, visiting this place gives you the opportunity. One can say that this place is the biggest dinosaur site globally.
• Sucre Cathedral: This cathedral is one of the most beautiful sights you can visit in Sucre. Interestingly, it is still in perfect condition even though it has been in place for a long time. We know that you will love what you see when you visit this place, and people are usually in awe of its architectural features.
• Mercado Central: Some people say that shopping is a way of connecting with others when you are in a new place. Thus, it is not surprising to see foreigners jumping at the idea of shopping. This is one of the best places you can purchase items in Sucre. It comes off as a bit traditional, but you will see an array of fresh fruits and vegetables. Some people describe it as food heaven.
• Plaza 25 de Mayo: It is best to describe this place as an open space in the town with areas for people to sit and view activities going on. If you are a fan of people-watching, this is the best location to do it in Sucre. Some people take this activity as a form of relaxation. Since the place is always clean and well-maintained, with decorations during holidays, you will love to visit it.
• Templo de San Felipe Neri: It is a monastery in the city. One of its unique features is its architecture. It is impossible to pass this place without taking a second glance. Visiting this monastery gives you access to its rooftop. On the roof, you get to have a panoramic view of Sucre. We see that some people spend their day at this place due to the excellent view it offers.
• Siete Cascadas: If you are looking to connect with the environment, this is your best option in Sucre. You get to enjoy rock climbing, and it also has a river. Some people tend to use this place as a campsite while others visit to enjoy its serenity. Visiting this place is always a fun experience at any time.
• Glorieta Castle: As the name implies, you should expect to see nothing less than a grand building. There are tour guides at this place to take visitors through the building. Visiting this place gives you more knowledge about Sucre as it holds a lot of historical information. We can assure you that you will not be bored as the tour is usually exciting.
• Cultural Space Origins: One of the best ways to enjoy Sucre is to act like a local. You will not have a complete experience if you do not attend any cultural event. At this place, you get to enjoy the Bolivian cultural entertainment ranging from music to dances and much more. It is easy to lose track of time at this place as you will be well entertained.
• Iglesia La Merced: One might say that there are many churches and cathedrals in Sucre. However, this one stands out from the rest. It has unique, undeniable architectural features that usually leave people dazed. It is no doubt one of the top sights in the city.
• Teatro Gran Mariscal: The theater is one place to enjoy shows and have a swell time. Thus, it will come in handy if you add this place to your list of top places to visit when you are in Sucre. You will have an enjoyable time at this place.
We know that foreigners are usually eager to see many places when they are in a new area. Thus, we do not expect anything less of those visiting Sucre.
If you can remember, we said that it is Bolivia’s most beautiful city. You can be sure of seeing many places that will leave you happy when you visit.
Sucre has different locations for tourists to explore, and all you need is a high-energy bar. We sometimes see that people do not want to leave when they visit this city. We can assure you that you will have an unforgettable experience when visiting Sucre, and you will have stories to share with others.
Some of the city parks in Sucre are:
• Mariscal Antonio José de Sucre Park: It comes in handy that you can relax at this place either alone or in a group. There are comfortable sitting areas, and the environment is always excellent. This park allows you access to eateries and much more. It is one of the top parks in this city and has a high inflow of persons regularly.
• Bicentenario Park: Although this place is small, we see that it is always well-maintained as it is clean and beautiful. There are currently changes happening around the park to ensure that it is up to standard. We can assure you that you will enjoy this place.
What is the difference between a city and a national park?
City parks are usually unique to only that town, but a national park belongs to the country. In this case, a national park might be in Sucre, but the Bolivian government owns it.
Some of the national parks in Sucre are:
• Rotonda Fancesa: People do not mind visiting this place as it is easily accessible. It also allows you to gain access to different locations. You are sure to see people at this place, so you can make friends. The dinosaur statue at this place makes it easy to locate. You can take a picture by it.
A beach stands as an excellent place to have a nice time, so people do not hesitate to explore this place when they are in a new location.
It is not surprising that people might be considering exploring the different beaches in Sucre.
Unfortunately, there are no beaches in Sucre. Sucre might be many things and have various places to explore, but it does not have a beach.
Thus, you will need to look for other places to explore as beaches are not feasible. We would update the list of places that are feasible for exploration in Sucre. Indeed, you will have a lovely time in other areas.
For many people, it is their first time visiting a new place. Thus, we are not shocked that some people might be visiting Sucre for the first time.
As a foreigner in a new place, it is easy to get missing while moving around. Landmarks are helpful as they help you keep track of places and areas when moving around.
A place with noticeable landmarks is usually helpful to tourists, so we will highlight some of the available landmarks in Sucre.
• Sucre Cathedral
• General Cemetery
• Museo San Francisco de Asis
It always comes in handy to know these landmarks so that you will be familiar with the area.
Some of the museums in Sucre are:
• Museo Colonial Charcas U. S. F. X.: Visiting this place will have you in awe as the art pieces will blow your mind. It is best to take time when visiting this place as it has a lot for you to absorb. It comes in handy that the artworks are in both Spanish and English. Thus, many people can understand and relate to it.
• Museo San Francisco de Asis: It is a history museum in Sucre. Visiting this place lets you get adequate information about the history of Sucre and Bolivia as a whole. You will leave this place filled with much knowledge.
Food is something you will enjoy when you are in a new place, so you should not hesitate to explore Sucre’s different Bolivian meals.
Jak'a lawa is one of the traditional local foods in Sucre. It is a dish of ground corn with pork and other elements. It comes in the form of a broth, and you will enjoy eating it.
You can also try a meal of cassava puree and cheese. In Sucre, it is called Yuca Sonso. It is one of the top dishes in this city, and people rush for it when in the area.
You will notice that most of the meals in Sucre are made from cassava. One of them is Masaco.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Some of the traditional local restaurants in Sucre are:
• La Taverne Sucre: If you are looking to get an array of local dishes in Sucre, this is the perfect restaurant to visit. It has a fantastic ambiance and the meals are usually excellent. It also comes in handy that the staff are friendly, so people are always comfortable eating here. We have not seen anyone complain about this restaurant.
• El Solar Cafe Bistro: People have nothing but good reviews about this place. It could be due to its coziness and other reasons. They have a way of making their food to suit your taste. It is one of the best local restaurants in Sucre.
Vegetarian and Vegan
Some of the vegan restaurants in Sucre are:
• El Germen: If you are a vegetarian, it is understandable that you want a place that cooks to your preference. This place is one of the best vegan restaurants in Sucre. It has different dishes, suitable for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. They have fantastic staff at this place, always ready to help if you have any challenges. It also has a conducive environment.
• Qaway Mirar: The menu of this place is always pleasing as it has various options. It also has pleasant views as you get to see many angles of the city. They have some of the best vegan meals you can get in the city.
There are many street foods to enjoy in Sucre. It is safe to say that the city is overflowing with junk foods.
Papas rellenas is one of the foods you can get on Sucre’s streets. These are balls of potatoes fried and stuffed with either cheese or egg. It comes in different varieties.
Another street food in this area is Salteñas. At first glance, it is easy for a foreigner to mistake this for a pie. We can assure you that you will enjoy eating it.
You will also see Buñuelos. It is one of the famous snacks in the area, and people eat it will syrup. All these and can are street foods you will get in Sucre.
As Bolivia’s capital city, you can expect that whatever drink you get in this place will be familiar to many areas of the country.
Allow us to tell you that there are no exceptions to what you can drink in Sucre. People are allowed to take both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
Somó is one of the top drinks in Sucre, and it is produced from Maize. There is also the option of Api (Morado), another maize drink. Typically, a foreigner may keep a face at taking a maize drink. However, we are sure that you will love it after tasting it. Both are non-alcoholic.
You will see various types of beverages when you visit Sucre.
There are usually discussions around drinking tap water when a person is visiting a new place. We get questions like ‘can I drink the tap water? What options do I have concerning water?
We love answering such questions as we want people to be safe when visiting a new area. Understandably, drinking unsafe water can affect your health.
For those visiting Sucre, it is best to avoid drinking its tap water. Bolivian cities are not known for having portable tap water. If possible, it is best to avoid using this water to brush to avoid it going into your system.
One can either buy bottled water boil the tap water before drinking.
Some organic cafes in Sucre are:
• Condor Café: The idea of an organic café is having a place to get healthy food options. Some people might say it is a vegetarian café, but it differs ins some ways. You are sure to eat healthy at this place, and they have a rich menu. When searching for organic cafes in Sucre, this is one of the top recommendations you will get.
• Joy Ride Café: Asides from the healthy food options you can get at this place, you are also entertained as it has a TV. It is a great place to connect with people, and the environment is always clean.
Some of the breweries in Sucre are:
• Teds Cervecería: Many people say that this is one of the best places to get beer in Sucre. If you are looking for a good time, you should visit this place. There is always a sense of happiness that surrounds people whenever they visit this place.
• Sureña: You are sure to have an interactive time with people whenever you visit this place. It has a conducive ambiance and a perfect place for relaxation. It is easy to lose track of time at this place due to the positive energy. It is best to add it to your list of places to visit in Sucre.
Sometimes, people ask about the extra activities they can do in Sucre to keep them entertained. Commonly, some people may say that you should engage in fishing and kayaking to have a swell time in a new place.
However, it is always essential to remember that you can only engage in such activities in a place with water bodies. Checking through Sucre’s environment, we cannot say that there are water bodies in this area.
Thus, engaging in fishing and kayaking is not feasible. One can do these activities if the locals love them, but it is not a top activity for people in Sucre. You should engage in other activities while in Sucre.
Yoga and Retreats
It is not out of place to see yoga studios in Sucre. But this does not mean that the activity is famous in the city.
We are sure that you have heard about yoga before. But this is not a prevalent activity everywhere. Some people engage in it in Sucre, and you can join them if you desire.
We cannot say that the yoga studios in Sucre are of a high standard, but you can make do with time. There are hopes that these places get better with time and that this activity becomes widespread.
By engaging in yoga in Sucre, you teach those interested in this activity.
It is best to make accommodation plans when you are visiting a new place. By checking before you travel, you know the available accommodation types in the area you are visiting and their prices.
This helps to ensure that you prepare adequately. We do not want a situation where you are taken by surprise when you arrive at your destination. This destabilizes many people and might leave them stranded.
The goal is to have a smooth stay when you are in a new place, and this will not happen if you do not know what accommodation you desire. After all, you do not want to exceed your accommodation budget.
Many people love to be eco-friendly, and we see it in their choice of accommodation. It does not surprise us when some people prefer to stay in a green hotel when they visit a new place.
Such hotels have facilities that help to protect the environment. Except for these extras, there is no difference between a green hotel and a regular hotel.
We cannot state the pricing of such hotels as it differs. However, you are sure to see a green hotel when you visit Sucre. We advise that you do not have second thoughts about it as it proves to be a comfortable option.
A green hotel in Sucre is:
• Mi Pueblo Samary
Hostels and Guest Houses
Some places also have the option of staying in a hostel or guesthouse. In a place like Sucre, you can stay in a hostel.
It is best not to expect a luxurious treatment when you are staying in a hostel. However, that does not mean that you will not be comfortable.
It is not hard to get a hostel in Sucre. You might be lucky to get single rooms in these hostels. In some cases where the rooms have bunks beds, you can share a room with other people. It helps to foster bonds.
Some of the hostels in Sucre are:
• Hostal Viejo Olivo Sucre
• Colors House Hostel
Some places have apartments as a part of their accommodation options, and Sucre is not an exception. We are sure that many people would have seen apartments in their home city. Thus, we would not be surprised if you desire to stay in one.
Apartments are seen as exquisite accommodation options because they seem to be a notch higher than regular hotels and sometimes more expensive.
You are assured of your comfort if you stay in an apartment. We can also assure you of getting perfect views from your apartment for a beautiful city like Sucre.
Some apartments in Sucre are:
• Edificio de El Sol
Did you know that there is a system where the locals can accommodate foreigners in their homes? Many people do not know about this. It is called Couchsurfing.
There is a website for this system. All you need to do is input your location, and there will be a pop-up of people willing to accommodate tourists in their homes.
Suppose you are traveling on a low budget. It will come in handy saving accommodation expenses as you get to live for free through Couchsurfing.
Couchsurfing happens in many places, and Sucre is not an exception. We hope that you utilize this system when you are in the city.
We see that some people visit an area when they discover that it has incredible outdoor locations. Thus, they decide to turn such sites into a campsite.
If you are seeking activities to do while in Sucre, camping should be amongst your options. There are many suitable camping locations in the city, and we are sure that you will enjoy the experience.
Outdoor activities are usually fun, and this will not be an exception. Camping is fun when done in a group. It could be with fellow foreigners or a mixture of the locals and foreigners. All you need is an open mind to enjoy your experience.
How to Get There
There should be no shame in admitting that you do not know how to get to your destination city. If it is the first time you are visiting it, we do not expect you to have all the details. However, it is your responsibility to check for information before leaving your home city.
We know that you do not want to encounter any difficulty in reaching your destination. It is why you need to know the proper transport means to use so that there will be no challenges.
When you have this information, you can also rightly plan your transport budget. For those traveling to Sucre, we will help with this information.
Even if there are no airports in other Bolivian cities, you can be sure of seeing an airport in Sucre as it is the capital city of Bolivia. Thus, you can use air to get into this city.
We cannot say that the airport in Sucre is close to the city center. However, you will get a transportation shuttle that takes you from the airport to the town.
If you desire to use air to get to Sucre, you need to check the flight schedule in your present location to see if you can get a direct flight.
If you cannot, check for the closest place with a direct flight to Sucre, go there, and use air to the city.
Some people have using a bus as their preferred traveling option. Thus, we have people who ask if they can use a bus to get to Sucre.
It is not impossible to use a bus to this city, but it depends on where you are coming from. Typically, it is best to use a bus to Sucre if you are already within Bolivia.
Traveling by bus entails that there is a road connection between Sucre and your present location. It is easier and more feasible to use the bus option when you are already within Sucre.
If you are in another location, it might be best to use other feasible options.
Using a train to get to Sucre works almost the same way as using a bus. Everyone can agree that trains are slow. Thus, it might even take days before you can reach your destination. We know that no one wants to spend long hours on the way.
The best way to get a train to Sucre is if you are already within Bolivia. We doubt that there will be a railway connection between Sucre and your current location if you are not within Bolivia.
If you are bent on using a train, find your way to any Bolivian city, and get on a train to Sucre.
Hitchhiking is a concept that works if you are looking for free transportation or a free way of getting into Sucre. However, it will only work if you are within Bolivia.
If you are in any Bolivia city, you can stay on the major roads, flag down a car, and ask if they are headed towards Sucre. If you get a positive answer, you can make negotiations on getting a free ride. You might be lucky that the driver will agree. There is no assurance that all drivers will agree.
You can also use the hitchhiking method from Sucre to other Bolivian cities.
There is no other known method of getting into Sucre.
It is not out of place if you have thoughts of traveling through water by ship or boat. However, there are no available facilities of such that can get into Sucre.
The above-highlighted methods are the only ways people can get into the town.
The next thing you should do when you arrive in a new place is to think about how you will move from one point to another.
It is essential to know the transport means that work within the city as you will need them.
We will help highlight the different available options in Sucre.
It is not out of place if you decide to walk around when you are in Sucre. After all, it is a small town, so you will not cover long distances.
Walking around is also a way of chilling off and relaxing your mind. You should wear a smile and wave to people as you walk around to give off a friendly aura.
You can use a bicycle in many ways when you are in Sucre. One way is by moving around.
Some people cycle for adventure, sometimes turning it into a tournament. You can join them in doing such if you are interested.
Using a bicycle is a top way of moving around and doesn’t require much stress. All you need is to rent one from any of the rental stores.
There is also the option of using a scooter to move around when you are in Sucre. It almost works in the same way as using a bicycle.
However, we cannot say that using a scooter is common, but it is not out of place in this town.
There are also rental stores around where one can easily rent a scooter.
Everyone would agree that cities have different public bus systems. Thus, it would be best if you ask questions about the public bus system in Sucre. It will be wrong to assume that it will work the same way as that in your home city.
However, you are sure to see some public buses and use them to move around in Sucre.
Tram, Train and Subway
It is no secret that there is a railway in Sucre. Thus, it is not out of place to expect to use a train in moving around the city.
It is best not to have hopes of reaching your destination quickly as trains are typically slow.
However, you can use trains to move around.
It is always essential for a foreigner to engage in sustainable shopping when you are in a new place. We know that tourists love to shop, so this will not take anything away from you.
Sustainable shopping is a way of patronizing the local vendors, buying their items, and boosting their sales. It goes a long way to show support when you are in a new place.
You can start engaging in sustainable shopping in Sucre by buying things from their food markets.
Are there those local foods you love? You can get the ingredients from these food markets. It is always worth the experience of going to a food market in a new place.
Some of these food markets are:
• Mercado Central
• Morro Market
In some places, there are particular markets called flea markets. You can get second-hand items at these places.
There are no flea markets in Sucre. Instead, you can see some of these second-hand items to purchase in a general market or at second-hand stores.
Thus, it comes in handy if you pay a visit to the general markets in the city.
Second Hand Stores
As the name implies, you can get used items at these stores. The things you can get vary from clothes to books, electronics, and much more.
It could be that the owner does not need them anymore, but they are still in perfect condition.
Some of the second-hand stores in Sucre are:
• Compra Y Venta De Libros "Niño Divino"
• Compra Y Venta Abi • Auto Repuestos Ossan
There is much local clothing made in Sucre. However, we do not see any that are made from recyclable materials.
Thus, we cannot say that eco-fashion is prevalent in this city. We hope to see changes with time as eco-fashion is a desirable concept that every fashion designer should embrace.
Buying such items is a way of engaging in sustainable shopping.
Although eco-fashion is not prevalent in Sucre, they are active in recycling. This is evident in the number of recycling centers that you would see in the city.
If you have recyclable items, you can take them to the recycling centers. It is usually an ease-free process.
Engaging in the recycling process in this city shows that you are a responsible tourist.
It is not out of place if you think of an efficient waste management system in Sucre. After all, people say it is the most beautiful city in Bolivia.
To attain this status, they have ensured to have systems in place that aid waste management.
Huge commendations are given to the government of this society.
Work and Study Abroad
Do you desire to work while studying in Sucre? It should not be any worry as people can work while studying in this city.
There are no restrictions or limitations when it concerns working and studying. If you had thoughts of schooling in Sucre, you do not have any issues. Working while studying is feasible in this society.
Once some people discover Sucre’s wonder, they are always eager to live in the city in one way or another.
Some people do this through schooling. In this case, they desire to do an exchange program in the city.
If you have such thoughts, we are sure that you can see schools in Sucre that accept exchange students.
It sometimes proves difficult to get a job when you are in a new place. However, the au pair system usually makes it easier.
Once you go on this website and input your location, you will get available job listings. They are usually house jobs like being a nanny.
This way, you cannot be stranded while in the city.
If you desire to be a volunteer in Sucre, it is possible.
The first step would be deciding the sector you want to work as a volunteer. It could it at an orphanage or animal response center.
It is best to have passion for whatever sector you pick so that you can perform efficiently.