Eco-friendly travel guide to Tahiti advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Tahiti, French Polynesia.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 2 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$45 - $390
- Budget per day: US$80- $610
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Tahiti is an island located in French Polynesia known for the beautiful beaches all around the world. It is also a part of the island group known as the Windward Group of islands. This island is a part of the French Republic and governed by them. This island is also known to be the cultural, economical, and political center of the country. Apart from lovely beaches, you will find a lot of coral reefs on this island as it was formed due to volcanic activities. The island has two different parts with differences in size, the bigger area is known as Tahiti Nui and the smaller area is known as Tahiti Iti.
The population of this island is around 2,00,000 inhabitants, which is close to 70% of the total population of the country. Not only inhabitants, but the number of tourists is also high on this island. You will find some of the best attractions in this country with vast natural sceneries. From clothes to food, everything is very different on this island from other countries. Make sure to explore the cultural side very well for the best traveling experience. Here are some of the things given below that will help you to boost the traveling experience as well as keep the island clean and boost the environment.
- After reaching the island, you will find a lot of transportations available in different parts. Along with different parts, the transportation will change very much. However, most of the transportations are responsible for air pollution. So, try to choose the transportations that does not pollute the air much. Some of the common ones are electronic vehicle, cycle, and others
- Trying the food on this island is one of the things that you need to do for getting the best experience. Make sure to try the traditional foods of the country that are almost available in all the corners of the island. However, try to taste the food from the street vendors as well to both get a very good food experience and help the local sellers who are dependent on tourism. It will also save a lot of money as well as street foods are much cheaper
- Being a very popular tourist destination, you will find all the different accommodation options available in Tahiti. Most of them offer all the different benefits to customers for their comfortable stay. However, none of them contribute to the environment like the green hotels that use all eco-friendly methods. Try to choose them for your stay as they provide a very good stay and keep the environment clean
- After exploring the different places on the island, you might need some quiet places to get far from the crows. You might also want to visit some places that will help you to get close to nature. There are some city parks available on this island that you can visit to get fresh air and a very good traveling experience. It will help you a lot to get the best traveling experience on the island. Also, it will inspire the local people very much to get inspired and visit these parks
- You will find a lot of small shops and stalls in Tahiti as the economy of the island depends a lot on tourism. Make sure to visit these small shops and stalls and buy different goods and items from there to get the best experience of shopping. It will help the local people a lot to get support for their offerings. It is one of your responsibilities as the eco-friendly traveler
Air Quality and Pollution
Before planning your trip to the destination, you will need to take a lot of precautions to keep yourself safe. Some of the things that you need to check to include the air quality and pollution of the destination. The air quality of this island is good and the pollution is also lower compared to other nearby cities or countries. You will be able to stay safe without any major problems during your tour. The air quality index of this island stays in a very good range from 20-30. However, you can carry some things with you like masks, medicines, and others.
It will ensure your safety and help to take precautions for any emergency situation. If you have some problems like asthma or serious breathing, then you will need to take the help of a doctor. With these problems, you might get health complications during the trip. It can ruin the whole fun of the trip and holiday. So, visiting the doctor will help you to know which are the things that you need to carry with you for staying safe.
Respect the Culture
Another thing that you need to keep in mind is that the culture of the island is one of the things that makes the place attractive. You will notice some of the unique cultural differences in this island that will help you to know them better. From clothes to foods, they have different lifestyles that are very fun to explore. There are many travelers who visit this country to explore the unique lifestyle. If you are one of them, then make sure to visit all the different parts of the country very well. There are plenty of traditions in the country that have been going on for a long time.
Top 10 Places to Visit
On the island, there are some places that you must visit to have a very good traveling experience. Here are these places are given below with details.
- Overwater Bungalows - As the name suggests, there are some houses on the water that are very popular attractions in Tahiti. These small hats on the ocean make the country iconic and well known to the rest of the world
- La Plage de Maui - This is also known as Maui's Beach that is named from Hawaii. At the south coast of the island, you will find this sand beach that is very well known because of the outdoor activities like swimming, snorkeling, and others
- Museum of Tahiti and Her Islands - Visit the museum of Tahiti to discover some of the histories of this island. Some of the things that you need to see in this museum are artifacts, anthropology, habitations, and social life as well
- Teahupo'o - If you want to visit the most dangerous surf breaks in the world, then you need to visit the Teahupoo in Tahiti. During winter, you will be able to see powerful and big waves that are ideal for surfing
- Notre-Dame Cathedral - This is the oldest church on the island that is known for the old colonial structure and decoration. It is one of the most visited places by the travelers
- Arahoho Blowhole- If you want to see the force and power of mother nature, then make sure to visit the Arahoho Blowhole. It has been created by the slamming of the big swells and the coastal erosion of the coastline
- Three Waterfalls - As the name suggests, you will be able to see a series of falls in the northern part of Tahiti Nui. You can trek through the lush rainforest to get a very good look at the waterfalls such as Faarumai Waterfalls or the Trois Cascades
- Natural Aquarium - If you are interested in exploring the sea life, then visit the Huahine Natural Aquarium that helps you take a close look at the beautiful marine life
- Aorai Mountain - For the best outdoor activity experience, visit the second tallest peak of Tahiti the Aorai Mountain, You can rock climb, trek, and hike your way to the mountaintop
- Point Venus - This is a historical point where Captain James Cook discovered the planet Venus in the year 1769. The point where he took the note of transit is now known as the Venus point
Exploring is one of the best ways to get a very good traveling experience of the destination. It is needless to say that Tahiti is one of the most famous places in the world and known for attracting tourists around the globe. You need to make a list of places to visit on this island from parks to museums. Make sure to stop at all the different places to get a memorable trip. Apart from all the different locations, the most attractive part of the island is the beaches. There are plenty of beaches available in Tahiti that can give you a lifetime experience. Here are some of the jaw-dropping attractions given below with details.
If you have explored a lot of attractions for the day and want to be someplace quiet to clear our mind, then city parks are the best choice for you. Tahiti being a magical and mysterious place, you will find a lot of city parks available. Most of them will offer you fresh air, green surroundings, and some quiet time. Here are some of these parks that you need to keep on your list of parks to visit in Tahiti. Make sure to check the timings very well before visiting all of these locations.
- The Water Gardens of Vaipahi
- Paofai Gardens
- Bougainville Park
You will find a lot of places available in Tahiti to feel nature from beaches to mountains. Unfortunately, there are no national parks to visit on this island.
When it comes to Tahiti, one of the things that come first to mind is the magnificent beaches. This island offers some of the best beaches and coral reefs that attract tourists from all of the different countries. Here are some of the most attractive beaches that you need to visit on the island given below.
- Motu Tilapia - This beach is located in Maupiti island and known to be one of the beautiful beaches in Tahiti. If you are looking for adventures, then this beach is a must-visit as it offers the best snorkeling and kite boating experience to travelers. This is a tropical paradise that will make your jaw-drop with splendid sceneries
- Fare Beach - If you are more of a person who likes to see the sunset or relax and enjoy the jaw-dropping landscapes while sipping a drink, then this beach is perfect for you. It will take you far from the loud crowd, music, bars, and others to enjoy the sea, white sand beaches, and mountain jungles
- Deserted Joe Dassin Beach, Taha’a - This beach might be the smallest one among all the other ones in Tahiti. However, the wild jungle and the remote location of this island makes it special and attractive. This beach is also a very good place for snorkeling, make sure to carry your snorkeling gear with you
One of the ways to know that you have reached your travel destination is by looking at the landmarks. Most of the landmarks are either historical monuments or places with thrilling stories. Here are some of the most famous ones that you can include on your list to visit.
- Belvedere du Taharaa
- Temple Ptotestant de Paofai
- Mount Orohena
If you love to explore the history of a place, then you need to visit the museums as well as the different historic places. It will not only help you know amazing stories but you will be able to witness some of the historical artifacts that are very rare. Here are some of the most liked museums by the locals and travelers that can boost your traveling experience.
- Robert Wan Pearl Museum - This is one of the famous places of Tahiti that is known for having the world-famous black pearls of Tahiti. This museum is known for having a full history of these precious and rare gems. Not only the stories, but you will also find some of the legends about them and cultivation techniques
- James Norman Hall Home - It is named after an American poet and author who lived in Tahiti from 1920 to 1950 named James Normal Hall. This place offers many original artifacts, stories like Mutiny on the Bounty, the writing desk of Hall, art collections, a library that have more than 3000 books
Without trying the foods, your trip is not complete in a travel destination. It is one of the major parts of the culture that helps you to know a lot about the local people and their lifestyle. Also, you will be able to get some of the foods that are not available anywhere else. Being an island, Tahiti offers a wide range of seafood dishes to customers that increase the eating experience. You will be able to find restaurants available in almost all the different corners of this island. From traditional to international, different types of foods are available for travelers. However, make sure to go for the traditional ones first as it helps you to get the raw flavor that is very rare.
Traditional Local Restaurants
As mentioned earlier, traditional dishes are the main attraction of this island that attracts all the food lovers around the world. You might be able to get these dishes outside this island as well but these ones are made with different things like seasonal spices, special herbs, and others. You need to know the names of the restaurants to visit to get the best traditional dishes. Here are the names and details are given below for you to choose
- Lo Coco’s - If you want to get plenty of traditional dishes available under one roof, then you need to visit this restaurant. This is also popular on the island for being a romantic dining place. Apart from traditional dishes, you will also get Spanish, Italian, Portugal, Asian dishes as well
- Blue Banana - For the best seafood experience, you need to visit the Blue Banana. It offers plenty of seafood dishes and some gorgeous views to the customers. One of the dishes that you must try in this restaurant is named Poisson cru. You can choose to both enjoy your meal outside in the fresh air or indoor
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are a vegetarian, you do not need to worry much during your trip to Tahiti. There are many vegetarian restaurants available that will prevent you from missing out on the traditional taste of the local dishes.
- Autrement - One of the popular vegan places of the country that offer different dishes at a very low price. You need to taste the organic ice cream that comes with a different choice of ingredients such as pasta, salad, and others
- Le Carre - If you want to have some veg food at a low price, then you can visit Le Carre. From breadfruit to mango sauce, everything is available in this restaurant at a very reasonable price
Apart from traditional dishes or other cuisines available on the island, you need to try the street food as well. Some of the street food dishes play a major role in making the food of this island popular. You will find street food shops and stalls available in almost all corners of the island. As these dishes are available at a very low price, you will be able to save a lot of money. Most of the small street food sellers of Tahiti are dependent on tourism. So, buying food from them will help them a lot. Some of the street food dishes that you must try on your trip to Tahiti include Casse-croute, Coconut milk and water, Poisson Cru, Chips, and many more.
Just like the foods, drinks also play a very important role in making the culture attractive. Being an island, you will be able to get a lot of drinks available to sip and enjoy the beaches. While some of them will help you a lot to get a very good taste others will refresh you during your exploration. The traditional beer in Tahiti that is very popular and available in all the corners is named Hinano Lager. Apart from that, you can also try Tabu-a and other popular local drinks on this island. You can visit the nightlife of the country to get all the different types of drink available in one place.
If you want to ensure your health safety during the trip, then you need to check the tap water quality of the island. You will be served tap-water in different places on this island such as restaurants, islands, and others. You will not have to worry about drinking the tap water in this country as it is completely safe. The local people and tourists from other countries use the tap water for drinking, brushing teeth, and other purposes as well. You can filter or boil the water to make it safer for use.
Many travelers like to stay fit and healthy during their trip with the help of eating organic food. If you are one of them, then there are plenty of opportunities available for you on this island. Most of these places offer different dishes at very low prices that help you to save a lot of money as well. Here are the names of these places given below that will help you to find them easily.
- Cafe Maeva
- Urban Cafe
Being an island, there are plenty of beaches in Tahiti that are known around the world. One of the things that boost the experience of visiting these bars is the one sip of local beers. There are many local beers available in Tahiti that you must try to get the best experience. Apart from beers, there are other drinks available as well that you can get. Visit the local breweries to witness the making process and take part in the brew tasting. It will help you a lot to know the secret recipes of these amazing drinks.
Tahiti is one of the most popular tourist places in the world that is very well known for having a high number of tourists every year. So, you will find a very high number of activities available on this island. Starting from beaches, the museums, historical places, and others make this place special. Also, you can take part in different outdoor activities in Tahiti such as horseback riding, skydiving, paragliding, parasailing, biking, scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming, and others. If you want to take a break from all the explorations, then you can visit the yoga centers on the island.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga centres are one of the best and favorite places of all those traverliers who like to stay away from the crowds. Being a highly popular island, the number of yoga centres are very high here. You can get them in almost all the corners and choose a package or yoga lesions for yourself. You can visit the yoga centres to book yourself a pot or use the online services to book one in advance. It is better to book as early as possible as the seats get filled very fast. Participating in yoga after full day exploration will help you to restore your energy for the next day.
Before planning anything else, you need to book the accommodation to stay without any worry after reaching your destination. Being a popular tourist destination, you will be able to get a lot of options available for accommodation on this island. From cheap to luxurious ones are available in almost all the areas of Tahiti. You will need to choose one based on your requirements, staying time in Tahiti, budget, and many other things. No matter which one you choose for your stay, make sure to choose it as early as possible. Also, try to book the accommodations at the center of the area to get connected to different corners well. Here are some of the most chosen accommodations are given below in detail.
Green hotels are one of the best options for eco-friendly travelers that provides a comfortable stay along with keeping the environment very clean. You will be able to get many green hotels available in Tahiti as it is a very popular travel destination. Most of these green hotels use eco-friendly methods to keep the environment clean and save resources. You will be able to get all the different benefits and facilities available in the green hotels based on price. You will need to book the rooms in advance to get them available. Take the help of online services to book them easily without any hassle. Here are some of the green hotels that you can book on this island.
- Green Lodge Moorea
- Hotel Tiare Tahiti
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you want to cut some costs, then you can choose the hostels and guest houses for your stay on this island. They are quite similar to the green hotels but start from a lower range that helps you a lot to save money. You have the option to share a room with other travelers or people to reduce the room price. You will get all the facilities available in these hostels or guest houses. If you are looking for a quiet place, then you can also book guest houses on the beaches or mountains. Just like green hotels, book them early to ensure your room.
- Manava Taharaa backpackers
- Ninamu Pearl Resort Tahiti
Apartments are the best option for your stay in the country if you are looking to stay for more than 1 month. Compared to all the other options, this one comes at a very cheap price. You will be able to get them available in almost all the corners of the island. You can rent based on your requirements using both online and offline services. The best thing about staying in the apartments is that it will help you a lot to know about the lifestyle and culture of the local people. Many local people also rent these apartments to stay in the country, which makes it easy to interact with them and get closer to them.
Couchsurfing is a new way of accommodation but very effective and money-saving. It gained a lot of popularity in the past years among travelers. Some of them love it for saving a lot of money, others choose it to get a closer look at local people and their lifestyle. Couchsurfing is a community of travelers who help other travelers to stay in their home and offer hospitality when visiting their home town. You can take the help of online services to find a Couchsurfing host for you easily.
For adventure and a good stay on the island, you can choose camping. Being a popular island, you will find a lot of camping spots to stay in Tahiti. There are camping spots available in different locations such as beaches, mountains, jungles, and others. Sleeping under the stars and witnessing the natural views will help you to get a lifetime memory. Some of the camping spots offer outdoor activities as well to the travelers such as trekking, hiking, and others to boost their travel experience. Book the camping spots early to prevent them from getting booked and full.
How to Get There
There are plenty of options available to reach Tahiti from different countries. Based on the location of your home country, you will need to choose which one is the best for you. Some of them help you to reach faster and others help you to explore the different places on your way very well. You will need to choose based on your budget and available time to stay in the country. Here are some different ways of reaching Tahiti given below that will help you to know more and choose the best one.
Among all the different modes of transportation, the air is the most common chosen way to reach Tahiti from different countries. Being an island separated from the mainland, you will need to fly from most of the places. You will be able to get a lot of flights available from most of the countries. But make sure to book them earlier to get them available. You can take the help of online services to book air tickets more than 6 months earlier to receive a huge discount.
As the country is located in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean far from the mainland, you will not be able to reach this island by bus. There are no roads available that connect Tahiti with other continents or countries.
Just like buses, you will not be able to travel to Tahiti by train. No railway lines are available that connect the island to different places. So, you will not be able to reach the island by train.
Hitchhiking helps you to reach the destination with the help of taking lifts from others who are going in the same direction and hiking the rest of it. However, this is not a possible option to reach Tahiti as there are no roads available.
Although all of the above options are not available when traveling to Tahiti except by air. You can choose to travel to this island by water from many countries. If you are traveling from a country that is located near the Pacific Ocean, then you will be able to reach this island using ships, ferries, boats, and others. Just like the other ones, it is best to book the ship or ferry tickets earlier using online services to get them available.
Unlike reaching the country, you will get a lot of options available to move around the island. After reaching, there are plenty of options available to choose from. You will need to choose based on the budget and time available. However, try to choose eco-friendly options that do not pollute the environment. Here are some of the most used transportations that travelers choose to move around the island.
Walking is by far the most chosen mode of transportation by the travelers to move around. It helps you to enjoy the different things on your way and explore very well. Also, it is one of the eco-friendly ways of traveling that helps to keep the environment pollution-free. However, you need to have a lot of available time on your hand to walk around the different attractions of the island.
Another eco-friendly way of moving around the country that also helps you to exercise. You will be able to visit all the different places on the island very well with the help of this. Both online and offline rent services are available that can help you to get a cycle. It helps to reach the destination faster than walking and explore all the things on the way.
If you want to cover most of the different locations in a day, then the best option for you to rent a car. As the normal cars and vehicles pollute the air, you can choose to move around with the help of e-bikes, and electric vehicles that help you to get a very good experience and improve the environment. You can take the help of online services to book electric vehicles at a very low price. They are as comfortable as the normal comes and the price is also quite the same.
Buses are available in Tahiti that will help you to reach different corners. However, it is not as good as other modes of transportations. You will see a lot of RTC white buses on the island that comes with standard rates or charges. The best thing about traveling by bus is exploring the culture of the local people. Most of the local people use buses to travel around the island, which helps you to get a closer look at their lifestyle.
Tram, Train and Subway
The train is not an option to move around the island as it is not well connected to different parts of the island. Tahiti rail, Pacific red-billed rail, or Tahitian red-billed rail was once available on this island. However, the only experience that you will get on this island is the little train tour of 1 hour.
Sustainable shopping is as important as any other things on your trip. You will be able to get different things available at very low prices. Travelers all around the country are now choosing it both to save money and save the environment. If you are wondering about where to go for sustainable shopping in Tahiti, then here are some of them given below in detail.
If you are a food lover, then the first palace that you need to visit for sustainable shopping is the food markets. You will be able to witness some of the rare ingredients that are only available on this island. There are some small food shops available as well that will help you to have some local foods during your exploration. Here are some of the food markets that you need to visit in Tahiti given below.
- Papeete Market
Flea markets are the best place for you if you are looking for different things like artifacts, vintage items, rare collectibles, and others. It can help you to get some rare items to make your collection exclusive. Here are some of the famous flea markets that you need to visit on the island.
- Pira’e Marketplace
- Papeete Market
Second Hand Stores
For things like clothes, accessories, bags, and others, you can visit the second-hand stores of the island. There are many second-hand shops available around the island that offer high-quality items at low prices. Here are some of the second-hand stores that you need to visit on the island are listed here.
- Tahiti Pearl Market
- Municipal or Papeete Market
Eco-fashion is one of the best ways to keep the environment of a place free of pollution. There are many shops available that you can visit to buy eco-fashion. These eco-fashions are made with the help of natural ingredients that help both your health and the environment to stay safe.
Recycling is one of the most important parts of keeping the environment of a place clean. Tahiti used to be pollution-free, but things have changed a lot in the last few years. With the high number of tourists on this island, the pollution has increased a lot. However, the officials of the island have taken multiple initiatives and are trying to recycle as much as they can to revert back the island into the past position.
Waste from the island has increased in the past few years due to many different things. More than 60,000 tons of non-recyclable waste has been produced on the island every year. However, they have minimized the use of plastic a lot to control pollution. Landfills have reduced a lot in the past few years. Make sure to place your waste in the right place and help the country as much as you can to stay waste-free.
Work and Study Abroad
You will meet a lot of students from different countries, who visit the island to study. Also, there are many foreign workers available in the country who visited the island to earn money by working. There are many benefits and facilities available on the island that helps them to stay and study or work. Some of them are given below in detail to help you know more.
If you are a student, then this is the most helpful benefit for you that will help you to study in the country with a very low fee. Using this facility, you will be able to study at all the different universities of other countries that have partnerships with your home institute. You can check the online websites to find out which universities offer this facility in Tahiti and have a partnership with your college. Also, you need to be nominated by your home university to get this program.
Au Pair is very helpful for both workers and students of any other countries. It helps them to get a comfortable stay in the country along with food and some pocket money as well. All you have to do in exchange is take care of the household and elder persons or children. However, you might not be able to get a lot of Au Pair Jobs available in Tahiti. Check online websites to find the best Au Pair job for you.
Volunteering is one of the best ways to contribute to the travel destination. You can help people, famous attractions, travelers, and others in the country using volunteering. There are plenty of volunteering jobs available such as collecting waste to keep the environment clean, keeping the attractions clean, teaching languages to the local people, and others.