U.S. Virgin Islands
Eco-friendly travel guide to U.S. Virgin Islands advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in U.S. Virgin Islands, Caribbean, North America.
- Air quality: 5 / 5
- Bus connections: 3 / 5
- Train connections: 1 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3 / 5
- National parks: 4/ 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4.5 / 5
- Safety: 4.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$100 - $210
- Budget per day: US$160 - $280
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Surrounded by the beautiful water and home to the lush green area, U.S. Virgin Islands are a perfect place to spend holidays with an amazing view. Officially known as the Virgin Islands of the United States of America, these are the group of the Caribbean islands and an unincorporated and organized territory of the United States. The group's main islands are Saint Croix, Saint John, and Saint Thomas, and many other small surrounding islands. The main islands have nicknames often used by locals:
- Twin City for St. Croix
- Rock City for St. Thomas
- Love City for St. John
With a population of around 106235 people per July 2020, the place is perfect when you are looking forward to spending your days in budget and with nature. Tourism and all the related activities are the primary economic activity of the place. One will find amazing stay options, delicious food, warm people, astounding locations, and comfortable travel options.
Enjoying the tropical climate with little seasonal changes, the U.S. Virgin Islands is one with great tourism packages. A place that is a mix up of Black or Afro-Caribbean, White, Asian, Hispanic, Latino, and other places is quite diverse culturally. English is the most dominant language, but while here, you might get the opportunity to Spanish, Dutch, Irish, Danish, and a few other languages, making the place lively and beautiful.
While exploring the awe-inspiring destinations of the country, some of the points that one needs to adhere to for a successful and responsible trip, the best eco-friendly practices to adapt to are:
- Being a tourist destination, the number of people visiting the U.S. Virgin Islands is quite high. So, while here, make sure to opt for the eco-friendly travel mode that will help reduce pollution.
- The service offered here is uncanny, and since the major economic activity revolves around tourism, there are amazing accommodation options here. Go for the green and sustainable stay options that help you to leave a positive trail.
- While exploring the trails of the Island, make sure to dive into the local taste. Try the local and traditional delicacies instead of trying fast or junk food. Experience the local aroma and flavors while traveling through the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- The flora, fauna, and wildlife of the U.S. Virgin Islands are splendid. Being a responsible traveler makes sure to the environment, surroundings, and wildlife at best. If you get an opportunity, participate in conserving them.
- No trip is complete without gifts for friends and family. Get them from the local shops and artisans. Ensure to refrain from bargaining, as the art demands patience and practice.
- Avoid and reduce the use of plastic as much as possible. This will not only help to save nature but also reduce carbon footprints.
- While staying in the U.S. Virgin Islands, ensure to reduce the wastage of the resources to the maximum. Electricity, water, food, and power all need to be used judiciously.
- With warm and friendly people, make sure to greet and be at your best. Try to learn the local dialect as a gesture of thankfulness.
- Use the garbage bins installed at various places for disposing of waste. Follow the set guidelines to ensure that the recyclable material is kept separate.
- To be a responsible traveler, make sure to let fellow travelers know about ecotourism. A small step can lead to a greater and more sustainable change.
Air Quality and Pollution
Pollution is one of the major concerns that has been growing around. According to the Air Quality Index, the PM2.5 for the St. Croix is 7μg/m³, St. John is 1μg/m³, and St. Thomas is 1μg/m, which are all quite below the suggested mark, making air one of the finest and best to breathe in. The overall statistics of the pollution of the U.S. Virgin Islands as per Numbeo are
- Pollution Index – 10.63
- Pollution Exp Scale – 28.61
With an overall air quality of 100, as per Numbeo, the U.S. Virgin Islands air is one of the finest for breathing. The U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Planning and Natural Resources (DPNR) is responsible for air pollution control and air monitoring programs, which has offered wonderful results. From developing and implementing regulations for stationary sources of air pollution to improving emissions data and modeling, DPNR has always been on its tiptoes to reduce the pollution to the maximum.
Being a tourism place, the risk of pollution is always high, but with the locals' joint efforts and the authorities, the U.S. Virgin Islands have been able to manage the pollution within limits. Being a responsible traveler, it is the pristine responsibility to show kindness and awareness towards nature and reduce the country's littering. Reduce the carbon trails, and make your stay memorable.
Respect the Culture
A perfect blend of the Caribbean and American cultures, the U.S. Virgin Islands offers a great opportunity to dive into the beautiful cultural trip of knowing the locals' amazing history and traditions. Before you plan to explore the place's culture, you must know what makes the three main islands of the U.S. Virgin islands distinct from each other.
- St. John: It is the smallest of all and is one that is less commercial and more peaceful. More than half of the space is a National park.
- St. Croix : It is an amazing island with historic sites, scenic beauty, mountains, beaches, forests, and diversity.
- St. Thomas: It is one with numerous cruise ships dock, plenty of resorts, shopping spots, and always.
A perfect place with three distinct islands makes the U.S. Virgin Islands trip is one of the best. Tourism is the major economic activity, and with a population of around a lakh, meeting people from other places is quite high. Since all three islands are different in their basic nature, you might change, but the basic cultural aspects remain the same. So while in the country, a few points to remember are:
- Even though the place is a tourist spot, ensure to dress appropriately and decently.
- While visiting religious places, follow the customs. Seek help for locals if you are not sure what you need to do.
- Art is deep-rooted, and one can see a wide range of handicrafts here. Each piece has cultural importance, so get to know about it.
- The food in the country is greatly influenced by the culture. The traditional food is spicy and hearty, which is truly lip-smacking.
- There are a few traditional songs that hold prime importance. Avoid making any harsh comments or use them in an improper sense.
- Being a country with a rich tradition that is deeply rooted, people pay importance to cultural events, historical sites, and religion. Ensure to pay respect to them.
- There are a few carnivals that take place on all three main islands. Ensure to participate and enjoy, if you get an opportunity to do so.
Top 10 Places to Visit
The U.S. Virgin Islands are loaded with some of the finest places to explore and travel. From beaches to historic places and national parks to hiking trails, the islands are loaded with immense beauty in all aspects. The top places to explore here include:
- Blackbeard's Castle, St. Thomas: Erected back in 1678, the castle was originally known as Skytsborg. According to the legend, the tower was the lookout post for the pirate Blackbeard in the 18th century, from where the castle got its name.
- 99 Steps, St. Thomas: A relic from the mid-1700s, these are actual 103 steps built during the Danish colonial times out of ship-ballast brick. The steep steps lead directly up to the Blackbeard's Castle.
- Frederik Lutheran Church, St. Thomas: An architectural gem built between 1789 and 1793 in the Georgian style restored in the 19th century following the Gothic Revival elements such as a gable tower. The welcoming stairway of the church and the beautiful interiors are just mesmerizing.
- Annaberg Plantation, St. John: Built-in 1721, it was used to produce sugar, rum, and molasses. The historical walking trail with the sea's spectacular view offers the amazing opportunity to learn about the phases of plantation life and sugar production.
- Cruzan Rum Distillery, St. Croix: Standing on the fringes of Frederiksted, this is the most famous alcoholic export line. The visitors are allowed to explore and have a look at the brewing rooms and distilling houses, where towers of timber barrels of charcoal are stacked. Also, get a chance to taste the various flavors of rums or mixed drinks.
- Virgin Islands National Park, St. John: A must-go place while visiting the U.S. Virgin Islands. The park is almost 12,624 land and marine acres and includes beaches, coral reefs, hiking trails, wild donkeys, and 800 types of plants to explore and have a relaxing time.
- Fort Christian, St. Thomas: A Danish and Norwegian-constructed first colonial settlement between 1672 and 1680. This is a National Historic Landmark that showcases various historical artifacts from the island's colonial period.
- Point Udall, St. Croix: The easternmost point named in honor of United States Secretary of the Interior Stewart Udall, who served as part of the Kennedy and Johnson presidential administrations in the 1960s. This serves as a trailhead that features an uplifted volcanic rock surface overlooking the beautiful blue waters.
- Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge, St. Croix: Located 15 miles southwest of Christiansted, the refuge features a two-mile stretch of dazzling white sand and turquoise sea. The area is a protected one for leatherback sea turtles, as well as many species of birds.
- Fort Frederik, St. Croix: The red walls glowing against the turquoise blue seawater is a gorgeous fortress complex that is one of the most striking reminders of the Danish and Norwegian influences. Registered as the National Landmark, this is an amazing place to look for.
The U.S. Virgin Islands are among the finest tourist destinations that offer the opportunity to explore various parks, beaches, landmarks, and museums to know the place better. The beautiful nature, amazing landscape, and uncanny beauty of islands will offer you the experience of staying and exploring the paradise to the best. The group of the Islands is perfect to stroll through various beautiful sightseeing opportunities and have the best experience ever.
The greenery is pristine in the U.S. Virgin Islands. With the beautiful nature everywhere, the place offers various small parks that are the best to relax and have a peaceful time. Although the islands are small in area, the local authorities have still managed to ensure that the beauty of nature is maintained at its peak.
Some of the parks that are open for visitors are:
- Phantasea Tropical Botanical Garden, St. Thomas
- Emancipation Garden, St. Thomas
- Cramer's Park, St. Croix
- D. Hamilton Jackson Park, St. Croix
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Park, St. Thomas
- Verne I. Richards Veteran Memorial Park, St. Croix
- Fairchild Park, St. Thomas
As compared to the two main islands, St. John is one that offers the hiking green trails as compared to the parks. Some of them include Bordeaux Mountain Trail, Cinnamon Bay Trail, Reef Bay Trail, Beehive Cove Lookout Point, and others.
The group of islands is one of the finest to explore and visit. While there are not many National parks but the Virgin Islands National Park preserves around 60% of the area of St. John Island and nearly all of Hassel Island. The park is one perfect destination for visitors and includes some iconic beaches and hiking trails.
In addition, there are a few other National Reserves that work to conserve the wildlife. Some of them are:
- Buck Island Reef National Monument, St. Croix
- Coral World Ocean Park, St. Thomas
- Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve, St. Croix
Do you love to soak your feet in the sandy waters? If yes, then the U.S. Virgin Islands are the perfect destination to travel to. With the amazing sandy beaches, beautiful locations, and crystal clear water, some of the best beaches to explore in the U.S. Virgin Islands include:
- Cinnamon Bay Beach, St. John
- Trunk Bay Beach, St. John
- Salt Pond Beach, St. John
- Honeymoon Bay Beach, St. John
- Magen's Bay Beach, St. Thomas
- Hull Bay Beach, St. Thomas
- Judith's Fancy Beach, St. Croix
- Sandy Point Beach, St. Croix
- Jack's Bay Beach, St. Croix
- Turtle Beach, St. Croix
The islands are not too big in size but are magnificent in their beauty and the surrounding nature. While one plans to look for the landmarks or monuments, there is a chance that you might not be able to find too many of them. But still, if you want to visit and know about the history of the place, some of the landmarks to explore are:
- The Reef Bay And Petroglyph Trails, St. John
- The Columbus Landing Site, St. Croix
- Fort Christian, St. Thomas
- Christiansted National Historic Site, St. Croix
- St. Thomas Synagogue
- Shipley’s Battery, Hassel Island
- Lagoon Point, St. John
- West End Cays, St. Thomas
- Vagthus Point, St. Croix
Looking to know more about the culture, tradition, and history of the U.S. Virgin Islands, visiting these museums will be a perfect idea. Although there are numerous museums to explore, the best museums to explore are:
- Pirates Treasure Museum, St. Thomas
- Estate Whim Museum, St. Croix
- Cinnamon Bay Archeology Museum & Lab, St. John
- Elaine Ione Sprauve Library and Museum, St. John
- St. John Experience Gallery, St. John
- St. Thomas Historical Trust Museum, St. Thomas
- The Virgin Islands Children's Museum, St. Thomas
- French Heritage Museum, St. Thomas
- The House That Freedom Built, St. Croix
- Lawaetz Museum, St. Croix
Looking to try some lip-smacking local delicacies? If so, then the U.S. Virgin Islands is perfect in all aspects. Local dishes are quite popular here, and you will greatly influence the culture in the local and traditional dishes. From vegan to vegetarian and non-vegetarian, there is a wide range of dishes to try.
If you are looking to try some of the traditional mouth-watering dishes, then here a few ones for you:
- Fungi: A dumpling made from salted cornmeal mixed with water and okra and served as a side dish with fish or meat dishes.
- Callaloo: A soup or stew made from the leaves of the dasheen plant and flavored with okra, salted meats, hot and black pepper, fish, onions, and spices.
- Johnnycake: A deep-fried dish that can be eaten hot or cold and served with a fried chicken leg for a light lunch.
- Rice and Beans: one of the staple dishes is sometimes also known as rice and peas, which includes amazingly flavored rice with peas.
- Whelks & Rice: The delicacy is really a unique one that includes large marine snails sizzled in garlic butter and folded into fluffy white rice.
- Pates: These are the spicy pastries enclosing meats, fish, and/or vegetables, then deep-fried.
- Roti: The staple food that originated in India is one of the most popular local dishes in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Served with curried meats, chicken, or veggies, this is healthy and tasty.
- Cow Heel Soup: Also known as cow foot soup, this is an African-influenced dish that includes herbs, spices, flour dumplings, and cow heel with pieces of beef and vegetables in the broth.
- Pot Fish: This includes a unique type of fish that includes red snapper, yellowtail, doctorfish tang, butterfish, triggerfish, blue runners, and more.
- Conch Fritters: The signature dish of the U.S. Virgin Islands includes fish such as red snapper or Old Wife that are boiled or fried and served with a consistent sauce made from creamy mashed potatoes.
While you are in the U.S. Virgin Islands, you will find an immense variety of drinks to quench your thirst. From non-alcoholic to alcoholic drinks, there is an innumerable number of drinks that one can taste here.
Being a tropical island, you will find a wide variety of fresh fruit juices, especially pineapple and coconut, to drink. Additionally, there are a few organic cafes that offer lip-smacking and aromatic coffees. One can even try sodas, teas, and various other varieties of punches that are available here.
If you are looking for some non-alcoholic beverages to try in the beautiful U.S Virgin islands, then the best ones are:
- Peach Mango Smoothie
- Pineapple and Orange Smoothie
- Citrus Punch
- Caribbean Style Lemonade
- Bay Leaf Tea
- Agua Fresca- Jamaica Hibiscus Drink
But if you are looking for the signature alcoholic drinks of the U.S. Virgin Islands, then the must-haves are:
- Rum Punch
- Cruzan Confusion
- Limin’ de Coconut
- Bay Breeze
- Frozen Pina Colada
- Dark and Stormy
- Rum Swizzle
- Cruzan Kiss
When you travel to the U.S Virgin Islands, drinking water or tap water should not be a concern. The tap water is perfect for drinking and is even easily accessible as well. Whether you are at St. Thomas, ST. John or St. Croix, the water is perfectly fit for drinking.
But even after that, when you are in the U.S. Virgin Islands, it is advisable to first boil the water and then consume it.
Drinking-Water Quality and Accessibility is high at 87.5, whereas the overall Water Quality is very high at 91.67. This is one of the primary reasons that the tap water in the U.S. Virgin Islands is perfect to be consumed.
Being a responsible traveler, make sure to use reusable water bottles. Also, if you use plastic water bottles, make sure to dispose of them according to the set guidelines to avoid any negative effects on the environment. Avoid wasting water and ensure not to pollute the water sources or waste the water in any way.
The U.S. Virgin Islands is one of the groups of islands that offer a fascinating view of nature and the surroundings. The untouched beauty of the islands, the serene water, and the amazing beaches make this place one of the world's most visited destinations.
Beach related activities and water sports rank high on the list of attractions in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Snorkelling, diving, kayaking, windsurfing, and paddle-boarding as the most popular and important sports activities to participate in.
From the beautiful Mahogany Run Golf Course on St. Thomas to Tree Limin Zipline down St. Peter Mountain on St. Thomas to snorkeling at the Buck island off St. Thomas's coast and scuba diving at St. Croix, everything is just mesmerizing
The place is also perfect for hiking, trekking, cycling, mountain biking, forest expeditions, parasailing, flyboarding, and a lot more. Swimming with the sharks is another popular activity to participate in at the St. Thomas island.
Some of the other watersports that one can participate in includes kayaks, small sailboats, windsurfing, wakeboarding, waterskiing, and wake surfing.
If you are a fitness or meditation lover, then various yoga retreat centers allow the travelers to unwind and get in touch with their soul. Participating with a group will make the experience even more thrilling and fascinating.
Various groups arrange such sports events, try to participate with them. It will allow you to have a great experience and will be safer as well. Act and travel responsibly while in the U.S. Virgin Islands to leave a positive trail of your stay.
The U.S. Virgin Islands is one of the finest places to travel. With beautiful nature, serene beauty, water, splendid lush green forest, and an amazing environment, the place is filled with thrilling experiences. The paradise is one that offers numerous accommodation options that cater to all sorts of budgets. While St. Thomas is one with the most luxurious resorts, the other two also offer great opportunities to stay.
Make sure to confirm your booking before traveling to ensure hassle-free travel. The place is one with the best air quality with almost no pollution, so while you book a stay option, look for eco-friendly options. From the eco-friendly resorts to the camping grounds and the option of Couchsurfing, there are various options that one can select to stay. English being one of the most fluently spoken languages, one can easily communicate while enjoying the stay.
Offering the facility of the ideal accommodation, which has all the necessary facilities a tourist needs while living and at the most budget-friendly prices, the U.S. Virgin Islands' accommodations are magnificent.
The concept of green hotel or eco-accommodation is based on offering basic stay amenities so that no negative impact is being placed on nature and the environment. The hotel following the concept follows sustainable living while making the tourists enjoy every facility by affecting the environment to the least. Amazingly, the U.S. Virgin Islands has a wide range of green hotels on the group's various islands.
Focusing on sustainable measures, the hotels here use various eco-friendly and renewable energy options, focus on organic products, recycled items, reusable clothes, localized staff, and various other related facilities. While ensuring that the visitors are offered with all the amenities like that of a 5-star multi-facility hotel, the eco-friendly hotels here ensure keeping the spaces clean, reusable products, and ensuring the utmost hygiene and safety the most user-friendly prices.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Are you a solo traveler looking forward to a long but budget-friendly stay? Then booking a hostel or a guest house is the most appropriate option. Offering all the well-maintained facilities like the kitchen, Wi-Fi, washing area, peaceful common area, and the gardens, hostels, and guesthouses are best matched for people looking for budget-friendly options and making new friends. The option of shared spaces, dorms, or bunks is amazing and most appropriate for solo travelers or even friends traveling to explore new landscapes.
On the other hand, Guesthouses are appropriate for families that require privacy or are in the place seeking calmness and peace. Offering all the facilities to rent the space temporarily and with pre-installed pieces of equipment to make the stay experience surreal and fun, the guesthouses are one of the finest stay options with amazing security attached to them.
The U.S. Virgin Islands has been welcoming tourists globally for a long period and offering one of the finest options to stay. With the beautiful and astounding natural locations and amazing pocket-friendly stay options for young solo travelers, the place is being the most sought-after. Staying at the hostel or guesthouse offers a great way of interacting with fellow travelers and learning about their experiences.
If you are here for some work or are looking forward to staying for an extended period, then booking the serviced apartment is the best option. The serviced apartments offer facilities that include the kitchen, parking space, laundry area, Wi-Fi, and sitting area with a home-like and comfortable environment. One can book a single apartment or a full apartment, depending on the need and budget. Cooking your own meal and staying without external disturbances, service apartments are the most budget-friendly options for people looking to stay for an extended period. Undoubtedly, the level of privacy and security they offer is superior and will also help you gain self-dependence.
Couchsurfing is a growing but beautiful concept. The option offers the opportunity to stay with the locals and closely understand the traditions and culture. Usually, when a tourist opts for the Couchsurfing facility, the host offers the facility to stay as a couchsurfer without making any payment. In exchange for providing small household services to the family one is staying with. One can easily book the Couchsurfing facility online but know the host to avoid any hassle later on. Since the stay facility demands sharing the facilities, it is mandatory to clear all the do's and don'ts to avoid any sour experiences. Couchsurfing in the U.S. Virgin Islands is a win-win situation and the chance to get a long-term friendly relationship with the locals.
A perfect place for nature lovers, the U.S. Virgin Islands offer the most amazing options for camping. With various camping grounds available on each of the islands, the travelers have the beautiful opportunity to stay close to nature, feel the warmth of the sun and coolness of night beneath the endless sky. There are various eco-tour companies or camping planners that help travelers plan camping to pristine natural locations. Usually, there are trips arranged every week that allow you to explore the untouched nature with similar natured travelers. The best way to meet nature and relieve the heat, camping in the U.S. Virgin Islands, is one unforgettable experience.
Getting There and Moving Around
The U.S. Virgin Islands is one of the most beautiful tourist destinations to visit. Located in the Atlantic Ocean, the place is no less than a paradise. With the immense natural beauty, a plethora of water activities to do, and amazing nature, the set of islands are one of the most breath-taking places to explore.
While the islands offer a great opportunity to the tourists to explore and have fun, the place faces a bit of an issue regarding connectivity. It does not mean that it is hard to reach here, but being an island group, the only possible connection the rest of the world has is via air or water.
A place that offers immense opportunities for tourists to explore is also completely safe. Although the travel options are immense while on the island, the connectivity is surreal. With the well-connected network of buses on every island of the group to the amazing network of ferries to travel from one island to another, the overall system is well-managed and is quite friendly.
So, while in the country, make sure to be a responsible traveler and make you're traveling eco-friendly and sustainable. Go for public transport and e-vehicles as it will reduce the carbon emission. Explore the country to the fullest and enjoy the enticing locations.
For connectivity to the rest of the world, there are only 4 airports on the islands, out of which two are the Commercial service – primary airports, and the rest are the Notable private-use airports or seaplane bases. Numerous flights connect the mainland to the islands, but due to the non-availability of any airport on Saint John's, one has to book a ferry ride to reach here.
The main commercial services airports are:
- Henry E. Rohlsen International Airport, Saint Croix
- Cyril E. King International Airport, Saint Thomas
- There is no airport in Saint John
The two Notable private-use airports or the seaplane bases are:
- Charlotte Amalie Harbor Seaplane Base, St. Thomas
- Christiansted Harbor Seaplane Base, St. Croix
- There is no seaplane base on Saint John
One can easily book tickets online from any of the major cities to the U.S. Virgin Islands. Being the only mode of transport to reach the place, it is important to make your booking way ahead of time to avoid any unpleasant circumstance. Make sure to know about the weather, as any changes might cause a delay in the flight. So, be a responsible traveler and ensure to select the best budget with the least carbon emission flight to the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Unfortunately, the main islands and also the small islands nearby have no road connectivity to reach. On the island, one can easily use the public transport buses, and various other options to travel and explore. The U.S. Virgin Islands have 11,980 km of roadways, about 1,210 km of public roads, and 790 km of private roads combining all the islands' roads.
The national highways with the starting numbers 1-2 are located on the island of St. John, 3-4 are located on St. Thomas, and 5-8 are located on St. Croix. Virgin Islands Transit (VITRAN) is the public bus service provider that connects various major locations of the island and offers connectivity with the most amazing budget, a fare of $1 or less. The facility usually follows a predefined route, but the schedule is a bit fizzy.
So, while on any of the islands, either seek the locals' guidance or visit the official site of the VITRAN to know about the upcoming schedules of the buses. Make sure to plan your day accordingly to avoid missing the trip. Be a responsible traveler, and try to use the public buses at the maximum as it will reduce the pollution and carbon emission.
While a train is one of the traveling networks preferred by a majority of the people, the islands do not have any rail network. Although there was formerly a marine railway on Hassel Island, there is no rail connectivity available on either of the major or minor islands of the group.
When it comes to the islands, they are quite small, making them explorable on foot or by bicycle. Still, if you are looking for the chance to get hitchhiked, you are at a great place. The people are warm and friendly here, and you might as well get a lift with just a small wave of the hand. One of the safest travel destinations, there is a low possibility of being at the goons' point, but still, while asking for the lift, make sure to be aware of your destination and surroundings. Also, while you plan to get hitchhiked, ensure to let the person know about the monetary offering if you are going to make it. Be at your best, and try to befriend the locals for an even better traveling experience.
The flight is the only way to reach the islands, but still, if you are looking to travel from one to another, the only option that the place offers is the ferries. Although, while on any of the islands, one can book a rental car or jeep from various agencies operating and enjoying the exploring and traveling at their own pace.
If you love water, then there are some beautiful options to travel by waters, including Cruise Ships, Ferries, and Yachts. Some of the Cruise Ships that offer frequent stops to the U.S. Virgin Islands are Carnival Cruise Line, Celebrity Cruise Line Disney, Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, Premier Cruises, Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean Int., Seabourn Cruise Line, Sun Cruises, and Topaz International Shipping.
There are two ferry terminals on Saint Thomas, namely, The Edward Wilmoth Blyden IV Marine Terminal in Charlotte Amalie and the Urman Victor Fredericks Marine Terminal in Red Hook. The Gallows Bay Dock is the only ferry terminal at Saint Croix, while The London Lawrence Boynes Sr. Dock is for Saint John. The Theobald Eric Moorehead Dock and Terminal are for the Enighed Pond, and Phillips Landing is a small dock at the Water Islands.
There are numerous ferries and cargo services that run between these docks that facilitate ease of travel and transport for the tourists. While on the island, try to explore more by foot or by bicycle, as the narrow area and the beautiful trail are perfect. Being a responsible traveler, do prefer to book an eco-friendly personal cab or taxi to reduce the carbon trail while exploring the country. If you get an opportunity, travel the trails by e-vehicles and help the country maintain its high level of cleanliness and neatness. While choosing the ferries, ensure not to litter the waterways while traveling through.
Buying souvenirs and gifts while traveling to any new place is great. U.S. Virgin Islands is one of the most beautiful places that offer immense locations to shop and get some gifts. While the concept of sustainable shopping is on the rise, various shops in the country offer sustainably produced goods for travelers.
The idea behind sustainable shopping is to buy from the local market like a flea market, local food market, thrift stores, and related art stores that offer items produced locally. The souvenirs made from local dyes, natural fibers, reusable products, and similar material that ensure no damage is caused to nature are the essence of sustainable shopping. Some of the finest places that support sustainable shopping in the U.S. Virgin Islands are:
- Mango Tango Art Gallery
- Donald Schnell Studio
- Pink Papaya
- From The Gecko
- Friends of the Park Store
While planning to get the food items like fruits, vegetables, and spices, go to the local farmers' market and enjoy the beautiful trail of locally produced goods. So, while you are in U.S. Virgin Islands make sure to buy sustainably and locally produced goods. It will help boost the local economy and offer a push to the local art and craft. Avoid bargaining as these products demand a high level of skills and patience to craft.
Buy eco-friendly gifts and souvenirs to make the trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands more memorable and sustainable. Being a responsible traveler, make sure to leave happy and positive trails while helping the local economy boost and make sweet memories of traveling.
With the increasing concern towards the environment, the locals and government worldwide are moving towards adopting the three R's of sustainability: reuse, recycle, and reduce. The Island Green Living Association offers recycled goods and helps the country move towards a better environment. The idea is to use the waste or used materials and transform them into new usable products that reduce the carbon trail by improving the overall environment.
Being a concept that focuses on keeping the surroundings beautiful and green, it is gaining worldwide acceptance. In restoring nature's beauty, recycling is playing a great part as it uses the waste from the landfills and transforms it into something of utility.
In the U.S. Virgin Islands, the number of NGOs working is more compared to the local authorities. With all the joint efforts, the country is moving towards attaining a better living environment based on sustainability. So, while you are in the country, make sure to follow the recycling guidelines. Use the plastic to the least and try to follow the recycling guidelines.
With the increasing pace of urbanization, waste generation is also increasing at a great pace. The generation of solid and other kinds of waste has been a concern, and for countries like the U.S. Virgin Islands who welcome several tourists daily, the concern is even bigger. The current Garbage Disposal Satisfaction as per number is 70.83, which is considerably high, whereas the overall Clean and Tidy is 66.67, which is quite high.
Yet, with the public authority and local people's endeavors, a positive development towards waste management has been seen. Hence, while in the country, make sure to follow the waste disposal guideline to assist the local authorities and people to maintain the beauty of the place.Likewise, try not to litter the style of the country while examining the places of interest. Utilize the different containers introduced for garbage removal and demonstrate your thoughtful nature by helping your fellow travelers to know the some. Be a responsible traveler and maintain the aesthetics at the peak while exploring the country.
Work and Study Abroad
One of the most beautiful and mesmerizing places to visit, U.S. Virgin Islands is immensely explorable. With numerous places to visit and explore, the country is filled with various untapped opportunities too. With an amazing educational level, the country offers uncanny opportunities to the students and work here. The country is one of the finest, with amazing work opportunities that range from teaching to hospitality and a lot more.
A work permit is required to work here, but the universities offer part-time working opportunities to the students. With the low living expenses and amazing people, working and studying here is one of the best experiences. One can easily find the opportunities online or even in papers published in the country and even get assistance from the placement agencies.
There is only one reason why the U.S. Virgin Islands has turned out to be one of the most important countries that welcome exchange students to pursue education and build a successful career. With the amazing education system that focuses on imparting both practical and theoretical knowledge to the students, the education system here is amazing and budget-friendly.
The U.S. Virgin Islands focuses on offering the basic educational skills that help students land better job opportunities in the future. With the amazing stay arrangements like the AuPair, hostels, and others, the students find it easier to connect and have a great time. Language is never a barrier, and with the warm people, students get an uncanny opportunity to know the culture and tradition of the place. If you wish to learn and explore the beautiful locations, then the U.S. Virgin Islands are perfect for you.
Au pair is the opportunity to stay with the locals and experience the local lifestyle. Best suited for the unmarried and singles or students, this facility offers the uncanny opportunity to help people know about the local lifestyle and traditions o a city. Staying as an Au pair in the U.S. Virgin Islands is one of the finest experiences one can have.
While booking an AU pair's stay option, make sure to know about the host and guidelines of stay before confirming. It will ensure to have the best stay experience. One of the most attractive options, the Au pair, will offer a lifetime experience while gaining the opportunity to learn more about the local lifestyle.
Volunteering is one of the most acceptable and creative ways to use the skills and knowledge possessed to better society as a whole. The opportunities include teaching, serving the community, nature conservation, animal rescue, and many more. Before applying for work as a volunteer, make sure to know the basic guidelines and the conditions to join.
Multiple organizations offer volunteering opportunities. Volunteering at Virgin Islands National Park is one of the finest, but one needs to check for the opportunities before visiting. So while you travel to the U.S Virgin Islands, participate in the volunteering opportunities and collect various happy memories.
Empower your stay with the positivity that you will get to serve the community and return with multiple precious memories and a beautiful time. Choose your niche and support the local community to spend the most memorable and happening vacations in the U.S Virgin Islands.