Eco-friendly travel guide to Amman advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Amman, Jordan.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$25 - $130
- Budget per day: US$50 - $150
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
The largest and the capital city of Jordan, Amman is one of the prime cities in terms of the economic, political, and cultural center of the country. With a population of 40 lacs, the city is one with pleasant culture and astonishing places to visit. The city has witnessed rapid growth, which has proved to be one of the prime reasons for its prime importance. With various eras, the rich history and tradition of Amman is bliss.
Deriving its name from "Rabbath Ammon", which means “King's Quarters”, the city has lived its name in its culture, economy, and traditions. Located on the East Bank Plateau, the city is built on seven hills, making most of the topography and terrains into mountains. With the Mediterranean climate to semi-arid zones, the city invites moderately long summers and mild winters. Exhibiting the microclimate, every district of Amman exhibits unique and extraordinary weather.
While one travels the city of Amman, it is essential to focus on the concept of eco-friendly travel and focus on keeping the city and its aesthetics intact. To ensure the responsibility of an eco-friendly tourist, the things that can be done are:
- Being the prime city in terms of economy, it houses the maximum businesses. Considered as the business hub, the city accounts for high levels of pollution as well. As a responsible traveler visiting Amman, it is the responsibility to use reusable materials as well as to adapt to eco-friendly modes of traveling while you explore the city.
- The city is culturally and historically rich. The architects in the city are uncanny. Ensure to visit them but do consider to leave the aesthetic beauty of the place untouched.
- The people are friendly and warm. The city welcomes visitors with open hearts and arms. Try to dress well and be considerate about their culture while you explore the city.
- If you are planning to get some gifts and souvenirs, then prefer to get some locally produced art. The artisans and craftsmen create the piece with patience and high skill. Refrain from bargaining while you buy one.
- With numerous places to visit nearby the city and take part in outdoor activities, make sure to participate with sustainability and not to harm nature.
- A pristine location in terms of tourism, Amman is the 4th most visited city of Arab. While you visit here, book your stay in a hotel that is eco-friendly with all the amenities you need.
- Reduce the use of plastic or try using reusable articles and bottles to reduce carbon footprints.
- Explore the city on foot or by an electric vehicle as this will ensure no pollution is generated while you are exploring the city.
- While you explore the city you might find a chance to ride the animals like camels. But being a socially responsible traveler, make sure to avoid traveling on animal back.
- Remember not to litter the city as well as advise your fellow travelers to ensure the same. It will keep the beauty of the city intact while you explore.
Air Quality and Pollution
Amman, a beautiful shrine of history, is one dotted with the remnants of the Bronze Age, Ottoman, and Byzantine remnants. A beautiful city with fantastic places to explore, Amman is not only culturally rich but also economically ahead. Housing for almost half of the population of Jordan, the city is one witnessing the high-paced rise in pollution.
The main reason for the pollution in the city is the increased use of vehicles and urbanization. Being one of the prime cities in terms of the economy, pollution is comparatively high. At the same time, noise and light pollution is also high in the city, with an average rate of 60.45 as per Numbeo.
Although the government is taking measures to control the pollution levels, still a lot more needs to be done. The current statistics for air pollution in Amman
- PM10 - 68
- PM2.5 - 36
- PM10 Pollution Level - High
- Pollution Index: 75.69
- Pollution Exp Scale: 133.00
With a pollution level of 66.02, the city has an Air Quality Index of 33.98, which is relatively very low.
Being a vacationer, journeying this historically wealthy and beautiful town, it is recommended to replace the less pollution-inflicting options and choose the green journey alternatives to lessen the carbon footprints even as you discover the city. Ensure to apply eco-friendly choices while you are in the town and go away on a fantastic trail when you depart the city.
Respect the Culture
Jordan is one of the places that put prime importance on culture. Amman, being the capital of Jordan, also focuses on the same. The people in Amman are one who places quite a significant precision on the traditions and culture. It is pristine to make sure to follow the prime practices and customs.
The predominant culture of the city depicts the Islamic trends. Being one of the most sophisticated cities, you will find a deep connection between the people with the cultural aspects. The core aspect of the community of Jordan is hospitality, and so they do not prefer rude behavior in any way. Beyond rich culture, the city is home to some of the pioneer art-related aspects as well.
Generalizing the culture and nature of the people, the three things that are not appreciated by the people of Amman include immodest dressing, public display of affection, and lack of social respect. So, while you are in the city, make sure not to break the norms, even though the city is liberal.
The culture of Amman is more linked to historical significance and eco-tourism. To respect the culture of the city, keep an eye on points like:
- Follow the social norms of dressing and avoid immodest dresses.
- Praise the local art and handicraft as they hold cultural and historical importance.
- Being warm and friendly, people are welcoming, so ensure to be polite and soft-spoken.
- While visiting any mosque, be sure to respect the culture at most.
- There are few traditions and customs linked to meals. Make sure to follow them.
- Take help from the locals while you are in the city to know about the culture and traditions. Do not hesitate in any manner.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Amman has so much to offers to its visitors. A perfect blend of historical architecture and modern cafes, Amman is a place to amaze all. The hilly capital of Jordan has a lot of attractions to offer to all its visitors. With the rich culture and warm people, exploring the city of Amman is a blissful experience.
While for most of the travelers, Amman will entirely be a new experience in terms of culture and tradition, but with the place so blissful and people so beautiful at heart, exploring the city will be a magical experience. A city that continues to entice travelers, Amman is a city with fantastic cafes, museums, and stunning archeological places to discover.
While the places to explore are unlimited, the best places to explore are:
- Amman Citadel: The heart of Amman, this place is one of the best tourist attractions that offers an uncanny view of the sunset. With the massive pillars, this place is a landmark, which is the remains of the Temple of Hercules. Additionally, it is believed that there was a tall statue of Hercules that stood with all might and the Ummayad palace adds to the beauty of the place.
- Roman Theatre: Just a 20-minute walk from the Citadel, the unique Roman Theatre is a culturally important place with the stairs carved that offer sitting space to 6000 people. An amphitheater was a beautiful place that used to host an array of cultural events like concerts and plays. A Roman architectural beauty, this place holds quite a significance in the history of Amman.
- King Abdullah Mosque: Popularly known as the Blue Mosque, this religious place is built to commemorate King Abdullah I, it is the finest example of contemporary art, the founder of the dynasty that rules Jordan till today. Decorated with the texts of the Quran, this place can hold 10000 people at a time to offer the prayers. With a museum attached, this place celebrates the king’s life as well.
- Jordan Archaeological Museum: Displaying the artifacts of the past, this place is of prime importance when it comes to learning about history. Built-in 1951, this place is a one-stop collection of prehistoric collections. The most famous collection of the museum is the Dead Sea Scrolls, a collection of 972 texts from the Hebrew Bible that were discovered in the 1940s.
- Kharana Castle (Qasr al-Kharanah): A beautiful desert castle which is two storeys tall, it was built around 13000 years ago. The exact purpose is still unknown, but it was mainly used as the meeting site for Damascus elite and local Bedouin tribes. The Arabic Graffiti in the upper rooms make it even more magnificent.
- Royal Automobile Museum: A perfect place for automobile enthusiasts, this is located in the northern suburbs of Amman. Established in 2003, this place is a collection of various fantastic automobiles like 1952 Aston Martin, a Porsche Carrera GT, a Bugatti Veyron, a World War I-era armored Rolls Royce, an experimental motorcycle from 1885, and a collection of various other bikes as well.
- Mosque Abu Darwish: Located in the seven hills city, this is one of the finest mosques to visit and offer your prayers. Build-in 1961, this place was commissioned by King Hussein. The style of building this mosque is more inclined towards the traditional Levantine style. The unique black and white combination is stunning. While this place usually is not welcoming for non-muslims, but still the exterior is mesmerizing.
- The Duke's Diwan: One of the oldest residents of the city, it was built in the 1920s. Located on King Faisal Street in downtown Amman, this place was one of the prime gathering spots for artists, thinkers, and poets. A fancy place, this is quite an appropriately preserved stone building and is a classic architectural treasure as well.
- Jordan National Gallery of Fine Arts: A major contemporary museum located in Amman, this is a house of more than 2800 artworks. Starting with paintings, multimedia creations, photography, weaving, and sculptures that represent artists from more than 60 countries, which makes it amazingly beautiful to explore.
- Qasr al-Abd: Located 20 kilometers the west of Amman, this is a palace built from the big blocks in the Middle East. The best part is that this structure survived a massive earthquake of 362. The monument is not that prominent now as it was earlier, but one can still see the faces of lions carved on the roof and sculptures of lions that served the fountains.
Amman is a fantastic city to explore and visit. With many beautiful places to explore and an excellent climate, the city is one jeweled with so many attractive places. Right from the beautiful museums to parks and landmarks, the city of Amman is a fascinating city. Built on the hills that offer it a sloped terrain, walking through the city to explore is beautiful. Additionally, with the dunes in the deserts surrounding and the archaeological sites to explore, the town is perfect to have an adventure.
The best places to explore from the parks to beaches, and museums to landmarks, are listed down for you to have the best experience.
The city parks that add beauty to Amman and offer peace and calmness are:
- Zahran Park: A beautiful and small park located in Zahran street between 4th circle and 3rd circle, this park is perfect for sitting and relaxing or even having an evening stroll.
- Housing Bank Park: Located on Abdoun at Saed Abdo Shamout street, this park is one with a right grass area, lots of slides, swing sets, and monkey bars for recreation.
- Japanese Park: It is a peaceful park with some rocks, plants, and a bridge to relax and stroll or even read a book in peace.
- Al Diyar Park: Located behind Cozmo Grocery Store, this park has sufficient space for biking and a decent space for kids to play football.
- Fourth Circle Park: Also known as Salahideen Park, this park is one with swings, slides, benches to relax, and adequate space to stroll.
- Prince Hashem Toyour Park: Located in Shmeisani, this park is one of the finest for strolling and bird watching. The playground in the park is one beautiful place for kids to enjoy.
- King Hussein Park: One of the most famous parks in Amman, this is best for its greenery, entertainment space, and playing area for the kids.
The national parks to visit in Amman are:
- Amman National Park: One of the finest parks with a place to enjoy a picnic, a friendly place for kids to enjoy, and amazing greenery, this is one of the finest green spaces to explore.
- Prince Hashem Bird Garden: Opened in 1979, this is a landscape bird park with common and exotic species of birds and amazing playgrounds for kids to enjoy.
- The Forest Park: One of the parks that offer various activities to participate in. With a decent space to participate in recreational activities, the park is one of the most beautiful spaces.
Amman is a city with a rich history and culture. An amazing city with beautiful places to explore, Amman offers one of the finest beaches to relax and chill. The best beach in Amman to visit are:
- Amman beach: Located on the Dead Sea, this beach in Amman is one with gushing loads of tourists visiting to relax and have fun. The uncanny climate and beautiful surroundings of the beach make it a perfect spot to enjoy the vacations. Additionally, the salt level in the water of the Dead Sea is really high and is one with the most amazing healing powers. Just an hour away from the city, this beach is fantastic.
The landmarks that add to the beauty of Amman are:
- Rainbow Street: Well known street of Jabal Amman, this is one perfect spot to offer a relaxing space for pedestrians and an opportunity to explore the traditional spaces on foot.
- Jabal Al-Weibdeh: A contemporary street with beautiful cafes and bakeries to have a blissful evening.
- Iraq Al-Amir: Just 35 kilometers from the city, this village is next to series of caves with Hebrew script linking them to the Tobaid dynasty in the Old Testament.
- Al-Husseini Mosque: Built-in the downtown in the year 1924 by King Abdullah, this is one of the finest examples of Ottoman Architecture.
- Al Balad: The Downtown Amman which is filled with amazing cafes and shops to grab a bite and relax, this neighborhood is just perfect.
- Turkish bath: If you wish to get yourself pampered at the traditional spas, then the Turkish baths are the best place to explore in Amman.
With glorious and rich heritage culture, Amman offers the opportunity to visit various museums to even know better about the history and culture are:
- The Jordan Museum: Located in the new downtown area, this museum is the house of history and culture of Jordan that even allows you to din in deeper for better understanding.
- Jordan Folklore Museum: Established in 1975, this museum is dedicated to items and costumes of daily life along with weapons, instruments, and various other related items of daily use, displayed in the natural surroundings.
- Amman Archaeological Museum: Designed in 1985, this museum is one that showcases Persian artifacts and the regions belonging to the recent past. It is one that displays art and spectacular sculptures.
- Royal Automobile Museum: Known as the Amman car museum, this place showcases more than 100 automobiles along with the customized collection of King Hussein.
- Amman Children’s Museum: With a fun and vibrant vibe, this place is one developed on the concept of learning by fun. This museum is one of the finest with the display of some exciting stuff like the comic and animated trolleys and trucks.
Amman is a beautiful city with mesmerizing history, warm people, and lovely Arabic food. The traditional cuisine of the place is more inclined towards the middle eastern taste. The perfect fusion of spices that one will get at Amman is just unmatched and unbelievable.
With non-vegetarian dishes compiling the vital part of the menu, there is an equal number of vegetarian dishes to taste. From the creamy and tangy hummus to the spicy and mouth-watering falafels, Amman is a beautiful city. The bursting flavors of spices and the authentic places to taste the local to fancy restaurants are charming and relaxing places in Amman.
The best places in Amman to have a bite of the local delicacies and amaze yourself and relax a bit from exploring the trails of the city are listed down for you.
Traditional Local Restaurants
The perfect fusion of spices and the lip-smacking traditional dishes make Amman an aromatic place to taste the food. While one is done exploring the trails of the city, sitting and relaxing to grab a bite is the best thing one can do. With a peaceful environment and warm hospitality, the restaurants in Amman are beautiful.
The best traditional local restaurants in Amman to visit are:
- Hashem Restaurant Down Town
- Falafel Al-Quds
- Shawarma Reem
- Al Osrah Restaurant
- Tawaheen Al Tawa
- Sufra Restaurant
- Bourj Al Hamam Restaurant
- Fakhreldin Restaurant
- Kan Zaman
- AlQuds Restaurant
Vegetarian and Vegan
Are you a vegetarian or vegan lover? If so, then Amman is the best place to taste vegan food. With an array of restaurants offering mouth-watering delicacies, the food in Amman is a fantastic blend of spices and aromatic ingredients. the best restaurants offering vegan and vegetarian food in Amman are:
- Sufra Restaurant
- Hashem Restaurant Down Town
- Primal restaurant
- La Capitale Restaurant
- OJ's - Super Fast Salads
- Abu Jbara
- Fakhreldin Restaurant
- Salad Mania
- Wild Jordan Center
- Gusto Italian Restaurant
The street food is the uncanny way of knowing about a place. The taste that street food offers is quite vibrant and different from others. The best street food to try in Amman are:
- Hummus: The most famous street food in Amman. A thick dip made from chick-peas mixed with tahini and lemon juice served with pita bread, salad, or even sandwich, is a great dish.
- Mansaf: The preparation of aromatic rice spread on the flatbread topped with pieces of cooked lamb and a good dose of fermented yogurt.
- Fuul: Made from the dried fava beans and cooked with a bit of garlic, and then topped with onions, tomatoes, and olive oil, this is another lip-smacking dip.
- Warak Enab: The Arabian grape leaves, filled with rice and meat before boiling and served with sundried tomatoes and chopped garlic. It is one aromatic dish.
- Falafel: A never-to-forget dish of Amman, Falafel is made from chickpeas, herbs, and spices. Falafel is a dish wrapped in long bread with tahini sauce, salad, and chili sauce. The preparation is spicy and crunchy.
- Hamleh: The fresh chickpeas still in their pods steamed to soften them and served in conical newspapers with a little of salt sprinkled. It is one uncanny snack to taste.
- Musakhan: A dish inspired by Palestinian taste, this is a flatbread that is soaked in olive oil and spread with onions, spices, and chicken.
- Baklava: A sweet dish usually served with tea or after dinner, this is thin layers of filo dough topped with chopped nuts and honey.
To have a surreal travel experience, the purity of air and water are the uncanny factors. The water in Amman is of good quality. But if you are looking for other than there are a good variety of drinks in Amman. Tea and coffee are the primary drinks that are consumed in Amman. Additionally, if you are looking for alcoholic drinks, then the regional Arak, is an uncanny drink to taste.
With so many places to explore and fantastic places to eat and drink, Amman is a beautiful place to travel and explore.
After air, water is the basic need of all living creatures. Quality drinking water is a must for better health and life. While tap water in Amman is of safety standards and is fine to be consumed, there are various bottled and mineral water available as well. The local authorities of Amman are responsible for the supply of quality tap water and drinking water.
The Drinking Water Quality and Accessibility is as moderate as 46.83, which makes the water of Amman less suitable to be consumed. While the overall water quality is low at 36.48, as per Numbeo, which makes the consumption of tap water quite risky.
So, while you are in Amman, prefer to get the bottled water to ensure a safe and healthy journey.
Amman is focused on sustainability, and with various places offering vegan delicacies, some cafes focus on organic preparations. The organic concept is linked, to preparing delicacies, with ingredients that are grown without any synthetic chemicals. The basic benefit of using such ingredients in cooking is to benefit the overall health of consumers.
Some of the best Organic cafes to explore and tickle your taste bud with the organically made dishes and maybe a drink, in Amman are:
- Pizza Roma Cafe
- Blue Fig
- Almond Coffee House
- Zoka Cafe
- Jafra Cafe
- The Bake House
- Seed Abdoun
- Trieste Restaurant and Cafe
The city of Amman is one uncanny place to have the taste of beer and wine. While consuming alcohol in public is considered to be a taboo, it is better to have a drink at a registered bar and pub only. The finest breweries in Amman are:
- Carakale Brewing Company
- Biera | Bierة
- General Investment Co. Ltd. GIC
- Kegs House of Ale
- Murphy's - House of Rock
- Ghoroub Sunset Bar & Lounge
With plenty of parks and museums and architectural beauty to explore, Amman is a fantastic city. With the beautiful jewels spread all over, exploring this city is a blissful experience. But once you are done exploring the city, there are few adrenaline rush activities that one can indulge. So, once you are done tasting the delicacies and exploring the city, the adrenaline rush activities that one can participate in are the ones listed down for you:
- Check out the street art of downtown Amman
- Explore the Rainbow street
- Take a day trip to the Dead Sea
- Enjoy in Rum Balloon at Wadi Rum
- Explore Petra for one day
- Visit Xtreme Jordan Paintball
- Go hiking and camping at Tropical Desert
So, if you are looking forward to having a fun day, they prefer to join some group or the locals to enjoy it to the fullest. A fun day with the group will make you relaxed and calm and will allow you to feel lighthearted.
Yoga and Retreats
To calm the mind, and soothe the body, there is no better way than pursuing Yoga. The ancient practice of meditating and relaxing that focuses on the self are one that helps to relax and rejuvenate the mind and soul. An unmatched practice, that offers the best results, Yoga is one that is gaining attention globally.
The city of Amman is a city that offers various recreational places that help Yoga enthusiasts to spend some time relaxing. The primary Yoga and Retreats in Amman to visit and relax are:
- Over The Rainbow
- Prana Space Amman
- Namaste Zone
- Inta Ana
- Art of Living Foundation-Jordan
- One With Nature Center
- Tribe Yoga Space
Take out some time for the self and dive into the beautiful yoga session that will offer you the calmness of mind and soul at the most. Also, if you are looking to relax a bit more, you can visit the Amman Hammams and Turkish Baths that will offer you a relaxing experience.
Booking a stay while you visit any new place is the primary concern. Focusing on the budget and all the amenities, making sure of hygiene and safety, all factors are must be considered when booking a stay. While there are several options to choose from like hotels, hostels, guesthouses, serviced apartments, and even Couchsurfing.
While the hotels are booked by families, hostels are more preferred by solo travelers. The guesthouses and serviced apartments are preferred by those who are looking forward to a long duration stay. Whatever you desire, Amman has various options in the budget to select. They provide you with free Internet, Gym, and Security Lockers. Laundry facilities will also be provided by hotels, etc.
The concept of eco-friendly stay is linked to staying sustainably without causing any harm to the environment. The idea is to reduce the carbon trail by offering eco-friendly stay facilities to the visitors at the hotel. Although the hotels offering such a stay facility are comparatively less, still the idea of offering the amenities at the best price and focusing on the environment is just fantastic.
With the concept of staying at eco-friendly hotels that put their focus on offering the best amenities and adapting to the 3R’s, which are reuse, recycle, and reduce, the hotels in Amman are budget-friendly and economical as well.
The hotels that offer the eco-friendly stay with all the amenities and friendly staff in Amman are:
- Amman Marriott Hotel
- Toledo Hotel
- Crown Plaza Hotel Amman
- Sadeen Amman Hotel and Suites
- The House Boutique Suites
- Sheraton Amman Al Nabil Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels and Guesthouses are uncanny places to stay, which are not only budget-friendly but also offer an extensive opportunity to make new friends. Usually preferred by solo travelers, the best hostels and guesthouses to book in Amman are:
- The Cabin Hostel
- The Wanderers Hostel
- Carob Hostel
- Nomads Hotel Amman
- The Mulberry
Are you planning to stay for a longer duration? If so, then booking a serviced apartment is the best way. With the facility to cook your meal and all the primary amenities like Wi-Fi, parking space, washing area, a comfy sleeping space, and a soothing place to relax, the apartments are the best match.
The serviced apartments are ones that offer the best stay facility with full autonomy and liberty, and generous space. The best-serviced apartments in Amman are:
- Alqimah Serviced Apartments
- Almond Hotel Apartments
- Aljazeera Hotel Apartments
- Royal Luxury Apartments & Studios 2
- Al Qaderi Apartment Hotel
Couchsurfing is a concept that is gaining wide-spread recognition. The idea behind the concept is to stay with a local family and share their culture and tradition. It is one of the best ways to know about the local lifestyle. It is the concept that connects the communities around the globe. Experiencing the local lifestyle, traditions, food, culture, and meeting with people, couchsurfers gain a lot of experience.
While numerous locals offering the facility to book as the couch surfer, it is crucial to know about the host and how they live. Knowing all this directly will guarantee a smooth and surreal stay experience. At the same time, being a couchsurfer, you will get the opportunity to appreciate the culture and lifestyle of the locals. So, while you are in Amman, explore the local lifestyle, and appreciate the experience you will get by staying as a couchsurfer.
Once a nature lover, always a nature lover. It is very true, living amidst nature and exploring its beauty is one of the finest experiences that one can ever have. Camping is the opportunity to live with nature and spend some time exploring its beauty. The never-ending array of stars shining in the sky, the lush green beauty of nature, and the beautiful dunes in Amman, makes the camping experience even more fantastic.
The best camping grounds of Amman are:
- Green Field
- Al Nawatef Camp
- Candles Camp
Well, these camping sites are perfect to enjoy the warmth at night and gaze at the unlimited stars shining in the dark, clear sky while laying down on the beautiful sand.
How to Get There
Uncertain about how to reach Amman? There are various ways to get to Amman like air, train, and road, but the best one is which facilitates the best comfort and least time and budget. Although the preference of option is based on the notion of the traveler, a comparative analysis is usually done before booking a facility.
Before planning your travel, make sure to check the budget and time. Also, remember to pack the basic amenities like neck support, a water bottle, and a book or iPod for the surreal and fun travel. make sure to reach the departing point on time to avoid any kind of hassle and fuzz.
Queen Alia International Airport is the nearest international airport to Amman. With multiple flights operating, reaching Amman by flight is foremost the easiest and most comfortable option. ‘Royal Jordanian’ is the most prominent and frequent flight that flies to major cities around the world.
If you are planning to go for bus travel, then Highway 65, Highway 40, Highway 25, and Highway 30 are the options to opt for. Although the road conditions are not that good in the city, traveling by bus is better to be avoided. Rumtrans and Jetbus operate buses in Jordan which pass through Amman as well as the best ones to book.
The rail lines are operational in bits and pieces only in Amman. The connectivity is comparatively low and so traveling by train is not one of the topmost options. The Hejaz Railway Line runs from Damascus to Amman that can be booked.
A friendly and warm city like Amman is one of the finest places to travel. While hitchhiking is an option but, still one needs to be cautious while being hitchhiked. The idea behind this is to take a lift from the passersby. Before hitchhiking, make sure to communicate the monetary offering you are planning to make. Also, be cautious of your surroundings to avoid the situations of being spotted by the goons.
While you wish to go hitchhiking, a small wave of the hand will be enough for you to get the lift.
Additionally, you can book a personal vehicle or drive your way through to reach the city of Amman, if you are looking forward to a more comfortable ride. Make sure to carry the valid documents and be aware of your path to avoid being lost on the way.
While you plan to explore the trails of the city, keep in mind the concept of ecotourism. The basic idea behind this is to travel the city in such a way that pollution and carbon trails are decreased. While one can explore the city on foot or by bicycle or even by availing the facility of public transport, going for less pollution generating option is a wiser choice.
Amman is a beautiful city with a rich history. The city is filled with beautiful buildings and parks that make it even more attractive to explore. While you explore the city, going for the eco-friendly options is the best idea.
Amman is a walkable city. the beautiful slopes, unique surroundings, and picture-perfect attractions make the city even more excellent to be explored on foot.
There are various bicycle clubs and rental outlets that offer the facility to rent a bicycle to explore the city. The hourly rental facility allows you to have a bike for the portion of the day required by you. The bicycle tour groups are also a great option as it will enable one to travel the city with friends and make new friends.
Traveling by bicycle in Amman will be a blissful experience.
The concept of electric vehicles is quite widespread in Jordan. One will find quite a fair amount of e-vehicles running on the streets. With various charging stations, the facility for booking the electric vehicle is the finest. With the facility to book the Electric Vehicles (EV) and Hybrid Car, exploring the city of Amman will be a blissful experience.
The overall public transport in the city is one of the most extensive routes. With a total of 76 large buses, small buses, and various service routes, the city of Amman is well-connected with the two main bus stands Abdali and the Raghandan Central Bus. Exploring the city on the public bus will offer the opportunity to connect with the locals, and the experience would be uncanny.
Tram, Train and Subway
The concept of trams, trains, and subways is not available for the tourists in Amman. Although there is a plan developed in 2016 that was expected to build the tramway in five years, still the city is one of those which do not offer the facility of trams and subways.
Sustainable shopping is a concept linked to purchasing products that are produced by using substantial inputs without causing any harm to the environment. The idea is to use inputs that cause no pollution or environmental degradation. While you travel to any city, getting a gift or souvenir for friends and family is inevitable.
While you plan to get it, make sure to buy the same from the local artisans as this will help to boost the economy. Also, make sure to refrain from bargaining as the art demands a high level of skills and patience. Buying a substantially produced souvenir is an uncanny part of being a responsible traveler.
Staying in Amman for an extended period, then cooking food for self becomes an uncanny part. While one stays in Amman, getting the essential ingredients from the local food market is a better option as compared to going to supermarkets. The local market offers fresh ingredients at the most reasonable price.
The best food markets in Amman to visit are:
- Farmers Market Amman
- Souk el-Khodra Amman
- Souk el-Atareen
- Souk Jara
The flea markets are a place where you can find the local artisans and craftsmen selling the local art, craft, handmade articles, jewelry, and other pieces that can be bought as souvenirs. The prime locations in Amman to explore are numerous, and all these places will leave you jaw-dropping and amazed.
The excellent flea markets in Amman are:
- Nour al Barakah
- Souk Jara
- Souk el-Sagha
- Souk el-Bukharia
- Souk Mango
Second Hand Stores
Thrift shopping or second-hand stores are one of the most amazing surprising places to visit. Basically, second-hand stores are the ones that sell books, hardware, electronics, furniture, and so forth. The products that are offered at thrift shops are usually half the price which makes them even more affordable and even more desirable sometimes.
The places that you visit for second-hand shopping in Amman are:
- Souk el-Joumea
- Rimas Second Hand Clothes
- Souk Jara
Eco-style is one of the stunning thoughts that depends on the idea of reusing constantly the pre-owned articles of clothing and going them to create bits of wonderful and beautiful choices. The concept is more focused on adapting to chemical free ways of using, coloring, and styling the garments and accessories that cause no harm to the environment. With the use of natural fibers and the colors extracted from the plant-based dyes, eco-style is a concept with a purpose to save the environment and amaze you.
"Yours & Mine" is one of the brands that are focusing on the eco-friendly concept. Additionally, home-grown labels like Nafsika Skourti making waves and bringing on new concepts as well.
Amman is a city that is focused on greenery. The idea of recycling is to reduce waste generation by adopting the practice of reusing the waste generated. There are numerous recycling centers in Amman that focus on the concept of recycling without harming the environment. Additionally, following the 3 R’s of better living, Amman is moving ahead towards a better and cleaner zone. As a responsible tourist, try not to litter the streets of the city or cause any sort of damage to the aesthetics. This is also helping the city to move in the direction of a healthier and hygienic path.
Also, make your fellow travelers aware of the same and try to use the recyclable products to the maximum. Follow the green guide to recycling and the instructions from the local authority to ensure that the waste is recycled as expected.
Amman is one of the most crucial cities in terms of business in Jordan. At the same time, it is one of the prime tourist destinations and this is one of the prime reasons for a high amount of waste generation. With the separate waste management plan, the local authorities of the city with the help of the locals are trying their best to ensure a reduction in waste generation and better management of the waste.
The current score of Garbage Disposal Satisfaction is 33.06 and the Clean and Tidy is 34.65 which is quite low. Being a responsible traveler make sure to dispose of your waste in the bins. Make sure to use reusable and recyclable materials and reduce the use of plastic as it can cause harm to the environment. Also, while you explore the city, make the fellow travelers aware of waste management and make mindful of reducing the waste and polluting the trails.
Work and Study Abroad
Amman is the capital city of Jordan and one of the prime places to focus on business. Tourism is one of the major occupations in the city. The city is one of the pristine locations when it comes to study and work. The opportunities that the places offer are undoubtedly superior. The city is one of the finest examples of the amalgamation of culture and modernization. There are various institutions that offer the facility to foreign students to learn and attain skills.
Amman is really an amazing place for those who are looking to know more about the ancient culture and history. With the promising market, Amman is an ideal spot to experience economic growth and multiple opportunities in various sectors.
Amman is one of the finest places to visit and explore. This place is one with some of the prime universities that offer opportunities for students to explore and learn. Some of them are:
- Al-Ahliyya Amman University
- The University of Jordan
- Middle East University
- AlZaytoonah University of Jordan
- Jordan Academy For Maritime Studies JAMS
Amman is a welcoming and beautiful city. With the people so friendly and the culture so rich, one may find good opportunities for being an Au pair. Although the concept is still new and is yet to gain popularity, still if you are looking for a long stay, there is quite a good chance to get an offer for the Au pair. The concept of Au Pair is linked to offering some small services like babysitting or helping in the house chores in return for the stay facility.
The Au Pair may or may not be against the monetary option but in any case, this is an uncanny option for the students to take a peep into the rich culture and history of the place. Make sure to know the underlying conditions to have the surreal and happening stay experience. Be at your best while you are in Amman as the Au Pair and try to experience the culture to the best.
Volunteering is one of the finest experiences that one can have. The opportunity to give back to society and offering services is one of the best experiences. There are various NGO’s and volunteering organizations that run in Amman with different aims like conserving nature, educating the students, saving wildlife, and a lot more.
But before you plan to volunteer your service or join any volunteering organization make sure to know the terms and conditions of the service. To get associated with one try to know their procedure and the working terms. Being aware of these, you can volunteer to apply your skills for the overall betterment. By volunteering, you can get connected with the locals and leave a positive trail while you leave Amman.