Eco-friendly travel guide to Aswan advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Aswan, Egypt.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3 / 5
- Public transportation: 2.75 / 5
- Parks: 2.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3 / 5
- Locals' English level: 2.75 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$10 - $200
- Budget per day: US$80 - $300
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Aswan is in the south of Egyptand is the capital of the Aswan Governorate. It is located just north of the Aswan Dam on the east bank of the Nile River at the first cataract. The city has been southern Egypt’s strategic and commercial gateways since antiquity. Known for its beautiful Nile Valley scenery, this city holds significant archaeological sites and a peaceful aura. Further, the city provides splendid views and attractions to sail through the Nile with a felucca, which is an Egyptian sailboat. The Philae temple complex is one of the most amazing archaeological sites to visit. The modern city has expanded and includes the formerly separate community on the island of Elephantine. It is part of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network in the category of craft and folk art. With warm weather all year round, this city is a perfect winter destination. Aswan is a large tourist city in Egypt.
- Try the meals in the city’s local restaurants. The street foods found in Aswan are very popular among tourists. You must surely try these amazing street foods.
- Try to stop by the local markets for food and be housed to contribute to the economy of the country. It is one of the most suitable ways to fulfill your duty as a tourist.
- To travel within the city you can consider using taxis cover a minimum distance as you reach your referred place with the help of taxi drivers. You can plan your trip accordingly so that it can help you to stick towards your responsibility as a tourist.
- To be a responsible tourist you should always opt for the practice that will be helpful for the environment. Consider using buses to cover long distances while exploring all the popular destinations in Aswan.
- Go for the green hotels that do not cause harm to the environment, during your stay in Aswan. It will help you to conduct your tourist duty, at the time will make the city to remain pollution-free. '
- There are some national parks in the city that you can visit as you explore the city. You can feel the beauty of nature in a lively atmosphere.
- Try out the local transport facilities as much as possible to give your support to the locals. The well-connected roadways and great network of the metro line are some of the suitable options to enjoy the corners of the city.
- Try to visit local markets for food and be housed to contribute to the economy of the country. It’s an effective way to carry out your responsibility as a tourist.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality of the country is moderately safe. There are some places that are often called the hot spot of raised pollution. The government is continuously trying to understand the concept and taking the necessary steps to control pollution. Harmful gases emitted from the heaters are very harmful to humans. The government has taken the action to decrease the amount of usage of such devices that causes more pollution Governments have taken several measures since the problem started and they are asking the public to omit high fuel-based gadgets.
The government is repeatedly working for the betterment of the country. This mostly occurs in the central part of the city or on main roads. It has extended up a level where safety measures are a must. The city is persistently improving day by day. With the help of these, they have managed to control pollution to a certain level. On the present date, pollution is very much in control. Hence, you can plan a comfortable trip to Aswan.
Respect the Culture
Aswan is a busy market and tourist center that holds many historical sites, which gives you an opportunity to explore Aswan’s rich history and culture. Apart from Aswan’s historical sites, the city offers a unique cultural experience through the Nubian Village, known as Gharb Seheyl. Exploring the colorful village allows you to discover the last vestiges of the Nubian civilization that co-existed with the Ancient Egyptians. Besides the Aswan Souk, Nubia is also a great place to shop for souvenirs, spices, and local handmade crafts.
Aswan International Film Festival is a great event celebrated in Aswan. It was the first festival geared towards teaching filmmaking to youth in the Aswan region. Founded by an Egyptian screenwriter, this festival became one of Egypt’s premier film events. It is conducted in coordination between the Egyptian ministries of culture and tourism. This festival is supervised by the National Council for Women and attracts an international audience of celebrities and politicians from the Arab world and others. Another popular festival celebrated in Aswan is the Miracle of the Sun festival, which is held twice a year at Abu Simbel. Two things are celebrated in this festival – King Ramses II and the miracle of the sun.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Aswan is known for its tourism in the country. It is one of the best cities that can be considered to spend relaxing vacations. There are several sites of attractions that are admired by the people who visit the place. It is because the place holds some beautiful spots that have a fascinating attractive view for your holiday trip. So, continue to read to check some of the interesting names that are worth visiting, during your tour to the city.
- Temple of Kom Omba – This is an unusual double temple in the town of Kom Ombo in Aswan Governorate, Upper Egypt. The design of the temple starts with a front courtyard, a hypostyle hall, three inner halls, and two sanctuaries, among which one is dedicated to Sobek and the other to Horus. A set of steps lead from the ground to the gate of the temple, which consists of a large structure made of blocks of stones. This temple was constructed during the Ptolemaic dynasty.
- Kitchener’s Island – This is a small, oval-shaped island in the Nile at Aswan, Egypt. It is also one of the two major islands on the Nile in the vicinity of Aswan. The Aswan Botanical Garden is located on the island. This Island is named after Lord Kitchener who owned it.
- Nubian Museum – This archaeological museum is located in Aswan, Upper Egypt. The largest part of the museum is occupied by monumental pieces, reflecting phases of the development of Nubian culture and civilization. In 2001, it was awarded the Aga Khan Award for Architecture.
- Elephantine Island – Located on the Nile, this island forms part of the city of Aswan in Upper Egypt. The island may have received its name after its shape as its aerial views are similar to that of an elephant tusk, or from the rounded rocks along the banks resembling elephants. There are various archaeological sites on the island.
- Abu Simbel Temples – These are two massive rock-cut temples at Abu Simbel, a village in Aswan Governorate in Upper Egypt, near the border with Sudan. The twin temples were originally carved out of the mountainside and served as a lasting monument to king Ramesse II. The Great Temple at Abu Simbel was dedicated to the gods Amun, Ra-Horakhty, and Ptah, as well as to the deified Ramesses himself.
- Philae Temple – Located in a reservoir formed by the Aswan Low Dam and High Dam with waters from the River Nile & Lake Nasser, this temple is situated on Agilkia Island. It belongs to one of the most important monumental sites in Aswan – The Nubian City. It was a rocky island that was called Hieroglyphic Apo, which means Ivory.
- Monastery of St. Simeon – This monastery is located in the Aswan desert, at a distance from the west bank of the Nile, opposite the island of Elephantine. The ruins of this old Christian monastery are the largest ancient Coptic architecture complex in Egypt.
- Unfinished Obelisk – This is the largest known ancient obelisk and is located in the northern region of the stone quarries of ancient Egypt in Aswan, Egypt. Besides this, an unfinished, partly worked obelisk base was discovered at the quarries of Aswan. All these quarries in Aswan and the unfinished objects are open-air museums and are officially protected by the Egyptian government as an archaeological site.
- Tombs of the Nobles – Carved in the bedrock of the west bank of Aswan city, these tombs were built at the 6th dynasty. It was dedicated to the governors of Aswan during the 6th dynasty. Tombs of the Nobles are a collective term applied to tombs of workers, foremen, priests, soldiers, officials, viziers, princes, etc. usually located in the area of a major ancient site in Egypt.
- Aswan High Dam – Built across the Nile in Aswan, Egypt, this is the world's largest embankment dam. Based on the success of the Low Dam, then at its maximum utilization, construction of the High Dam became a key objective of the government. Therefore, the High Dam has had a significant effect on the economy and culture of Egypt. It was designed by the Moscow-based Hydro-project Institute.
There are a lot more places to explore in Aswan. When you reach the destination, you should also visit the following locations.
- Aswan International Sculpture Park – Various sculptors from around the world exhibit their pieces in this park every spring for the International Sculpture Symposium. The works are all created in Aswan and after completion, they are brought to this site and exhibited next to each other within view of the ancient quarry.
- Feryal Garden – This beautiful garden in one of the best locations in Aswan. The park is built on a granite hill. It's multi-level with winding paths and terraces overlooking the Nile gives a fascinating view. It is separated from the legendary Old Cataract only by a wall.
- Aswan Botanical Garden – This garden is located at the Kitchener’s Island and provides a view of the many types of subtropical, exotic, and rare plantings and trees such as the Royal Palm tree and the Sabal Palm tree. The collection was begun by Lord Kitchener and are cared for since. The gardens are popular among the local people and tourists. Besides, the island and gardens can be reached by felucca that reaches the south-eastern side of the small island.
- Nubian Beach – This beach is a part of the Nubia region along the Nile River encompassing the area between the first cataract of the Nile and the confluence of the Blue and White Niles. This beach features a number of amenities including a restaurant, a bar and a garden. Besides it also features a kids' club and provides property to guests with a terrace.
- Temple of Kalabsha – This is an ancient Egyptian temple that was situated on the west bank of the Nile River in Nubia. The temple was a tribute to Mandulis, a Lower Nubian sun god. While the structure dates to the Roman period, it features many fine reliefs such as a fine carving of Horus emerging from reeds on the inner curtain wall of the temple.
- Wadi al-Subua – The main tourist attraction of this place is the bulky Temple of Ramses II. It contains some excellent statuary and a lovely melding of ancient Egyptian reliefs and later Byzantine Christian paintings as the temple was used as a church during the early Christian period. There are two temples located nearby - Temple of Dakka and Temple of Maharaqa, which are worth visiting.
- Aswan Museum – This is a museum in Elephantine that features artifacts from Nubia, which were housed there during the construction of the Aswan Dam. Further, a new department was inaugurated displaying findings that were discovered on Elephantine island itself, such as utensils, weapons, pottery and mummies. The museum is situated close to the Ruins of Abu.
Aswan is popular for serving Egyptian food that is known for its legumes, vegetables, and fruits, which come from the rich Nile Valley and Delta. Besides, there are some similarities between the Egyptian food and the food of the eastern Mediterranean regions. The molokhia is a traditional soup that is to be eaten with rice. The name of the dish derives from its main ingredient, green Molohia leaves which are made into a paste and boiled with soup. Kushari is a national traditional Egyptian food that consists of many ingredients. Fatta is another popular dish of Egypt. It is a combination of bread, meat, and rice. Egyptians have special occasions for Fatta including Aqeeqa while celebrating a new baby, and Eid El-Adha. Feseekh is fermented salted and dried gray mullet of the genus Mugil. It is mainly eaten in the Sham El-Naseem festival in Egypt with bread, lemon, and onions.
Hawawshi is a traditional Sandwich of Egyptian food with minced meat spiced with black & green pepper, sliced onions, salt, parsley, and chives. Messa’a is an Egyptian Eggplant lunch platter with a combination of eggplant, garlic, onions, oil, salt & pepper. It is a traditional Egyptian meal that can be eaten hot and cold with a traditional Baba ghanog plate. Aish Baladi is the main Egyptian bread that can be eaten with all types of Egyptian food and a meal that makes you feel that you are so replete. It dates back to Gamal Abd El-Nasser era. Other common bread includes Bataw, Eish Baladi, Eish fino, Eish Merahrah, Eish Shamsi, and Feteer Meshaltet. Macaroni Bechamel meal is a modern Egyptian food that consists of baked pasta with ground lamb and bechamel sauce. It is made of a layer of pine pasta, mashed onions with meat, another layer of pasta, and finally bechamel sauce.
Traditional Local Restaurants
- 1902 Resaturant – Located in Abtal El Tahrir Street Sofitel Legend Old Cataract in Aswan, this restaurant is known for serving French, European, and International cuisines. With organized sitting arrangements with a pleasant atmosphere, you can ensure to spend quality time here. The waiters are always attentive and provide quick services. The décor is decent and the food offered for Dinner and Late Night snacks are delicious. The price is reasonable too.
- The Terrace – This restaurant is situated in Sofitel Legend Old Cataract in Aswan. They serve quality food with a variety of options like local cuisine, European, vegetarian friendly, and vegan options on the menu. The ambiance of this place is decent and the seating arrangements give an amazing view of the peaceful and gorgeous scenery along with palm trees along the Nile River. The price is affordable and the food quality is lip-smacking. The staffs are welcoming and keen towards their work.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- Mezze Restaurant – This vegan restaurant is located in Movenpick Resort Aswan on Elephantine Island. Visitors have reviewed this restaurant as the best place for food. They serve a variety of dishes that includes Egyptian and Middle Eastern cuisines. With amazing views and a decent atmosphere, this place attracts numerous customers. The food served here is known for its taste and quality. You can freely spend tour time here with your friends and family.
- Solaih Nubian Restaurant – This restaurant is located on Bigeh Island in Aswan and is known for offering great food that serves African, Egyptian, Ethiopian, and Arabic cuisines. Its outstanding location, overlooking the temple, provide a fascinating view. They serve authentic Nubian and Egyptian food that tastes delicious and extremely good. The quality of the food and service is also excellent. Visiting this place will surely make you to revisit it. The staffs are friendly and the menu is reasonable with great portions of serving.
Mahalabiya is a delicate rosewater-flavored ground rice dessert, which is topped with toasted nuts and cinnamon. Roz bi laban is rice pudding is also a famous dessert of the region which is always served cold. Fish Sayadiya is Egypt’s prized fish dish. The chef cleans a whole white fish, season it with salt, pepper and spices, then pan-fry before finishing the fish in the oven with a sauce created from onion, bell pepper and tomato. It is served over rice and is sometimes garnished with toasted almonds, which add a nice crunch to this flavorful dish. Kebabs are widely available in the city. It is a meat-based dish that is made from various meat of lamb and beef. They are called the meatloaf of Egypt.
Omi Ali is a traditional and decadent bread pudding that originated in Egypt but is a ubiquitous dessert in other regions of the Middle East. It is most often made from pieces of phyllo dough or puff pastry, blended with ingredients like almonds, raisins, pistachios, coconut, milk and cream, then sprinkled with cinnamon and baked in the oven until golden brown. The richness of the heavy cream and lightness of the phyllo or pastry create a sugary bowl of goodness. Mombar Mahshy is an Egyptian sausages that are stuffed with spiced rice and are truly a divine treat on the streets of the country.
Aswan is much less strict on drinking alcohol than Cairo or Luxor, and many of the restaurants sell Stella, which is an Egyptian brand, and Saqqara. Both of which are lagers and comparable to European beers. Wine is also served in some regions of the city. Aswan is known as Egypt's capital of sugarcane. When you in the city, you should try fresh sugarcane juice. Qamar El Din is a popular drink made from dried apricot paste sheets that are soaked in boiling water with some extra sugar. It is served cold with or without a few drops of rose water. Sobia is a delicious starchy milk drink that is super popular in Egypt. It is traditionally prepared by soaking powdered rice, then mixing it with coconut powder, milk, and sugar.
Karkade or hibiscus tea is very popular all year long, but in Ramadan its consumption in Egypt soars to a whole new level. This sweet drink can be served hot or cold. The two most popular Ramadan drinks in Aswan and Nubia in southern Egypt are abrei and hilomor. The white Nubian abrei is prepared from baked sheets of wheat and corn flour mixed with spices. The dry sheets are cut into smaller pieces and mixed with sweetened lemon juice or just sweetened cold water. The popular hilomor drink is like a brown version of abrei. It is prepared from toasted sheets of cornflour, herbs, and a mix of spices. These two are staple Ramadan beverages. Arabic shai (tea), closely followed by ahwa (coffee) are both drunk black and are Egypt's favorite drinks.
The tap water of Aswan is not safe to drink. Water treatment in and around the city heavily chlorinate the supply, which makes the water taste very bad. You can use tap water for shower and brushing teeth, but it is not recommended for drinking. The best would be to look for mineral bottled water, which you can purchase from any shop in the city. The bottled water is easily available across the city and does not cost much. Even the locals of the city highly use and depend on the bottled water.
- Al Qahwa Café – Located on the Elephantine Island in the Movenpick Resort, this café is a lovely place with a beautiful view. It serves one of the best coffees in the city. They are known to serve some of the delicious snack items and food menu. With decent décor and great service, many people love to visit this place to enjoy a relaxing time in the busy city. The foods served here are good and taste superb. Along with providing a calm atmosphere, it also offers dishes at a reasonable price.
- Cilantro – Situation in Corniche Street in the Aswan Plaza Mall, this café is known for offering a variety of snacks menu besides serving as a café. The cozy ambiance and the seating area outside are very comfy and have great views. The area right next to the windows is often in the shade so you also get a choice of being in the sun or shade whilst having coffee. This is one of the best places to enjoy quality time chatting with your friends and family over a fine cup of coffee. The prices are reasonable and the environment is quite friendly.
There are no such specific breweries in Aswan. But there are restaurants, clubs, and pubs that serve quality beer that has its own unique taste.
Aswan boasts a calm and relaxed atmosphere with the local Nubian people, who are known for their friendly and warm-heartedness throughout the country. It is a colorful society and has its traditions, languages, and cultures that make the visitor feel at home. Being in the city you should visit the Philae Temple at night to attend the Sound and Light Show is a magical experience. The spectacular lights of the multimedia presentations vividly reveal the form and majesty of this ancient site and walk through the dramatically lit temple as its history is narrated. Further, you can go for camel rides, in which you need to grab a felucca captain as they will shuttle you across to the camel marshalling area. Riding the camel to the Monastery of St Simeon will assist you to gain an amazing view and experience.
You can opt to book a cruise ship for 2 to 3 nights between Luxor and Aswan by tracking down one or several of them along the pier before noon. Most of the cruise ships have a reception at their entrance and you can just walk in. you can also make reservations through online platforms to get more offers. Don’t forget to try the tea with the local shopkeepers. This will help you to get a fascinating insight into their daily lives, and they love to practice their English on you. Nevertheless, they will certainly try to sell you something in exchange for the free tea.
Yoga and Retreats
Getting tired after a whole day’s journey in exploring the city, can make you feel restless. The best solution for this is to be a part of the yoga retreats offered by the city. The city, Aswan offers several yoga centers that you can opt for according to your preference. Therefore, you can consider taking part in some of them to feel more calm and energetic. Hence, you can consider being a part of the relaxing sessions. It will help you to gain your energy besides providing you a peaceful mind. You can also meditate after the yoga session. You can check the details online and in just a few minutes of investing the time, you will get the desired result of calmness and be energetic.
Accommodation is the most vital requirement when you are planning to travel to another place. As this city Aswan, remains crowded with tourists throughout the year, the accommodation facility here is highly maintained. This facility helps you to get a place where you can stay while you visit a city or country. It is a place where you can spend your peace and get relief from your tiredness.
Green Hotels are widely available in the city and are very much in demand, especially among eco-friendly tourists. Besides, starting from water to light sources, these hotels use as many green natural sources as possible, which helps them to play a positive role in the betterment of the city’s atmosphere. Hence, they are known to provide all the basic facilities that any individual gets in an average hotel. The cost of these hotels is usually low or similar to the regular hotels. Other additional charges may depend on the premium amenities that you want to add during your stay in the hotel. Some of the well-known green hotels available in the city are:
- Movenpick Resort Aswan
- Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan
- Philae Hotel
- Tolip Aswan Hotel
- Hapi Hotel
- Pyramisa Isis Corniche Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
The hostels and guest houses available in the city are quite affordable. These lodging systems are highly suitable for the ones, who are planning to stay in the city for several weeks. You will get almost all the basic benefits along with some extra benefits from them. Options such as sharing rooms are also available to divide the room charges with others. Therefore, you can check various options as per your preference on the online platforms before making any reservations. Here is a list of some of the popular lodging options that you can consider for your stay in the city.
- David Hostel
- Nubian Holiday House Aswan
- Baba Dool
- Basmatic Nubian Guest House
- Nuba Dool Guest House
- Aragheed Nubian Guest House
The city offers rental apartments that range from low to high cost depending on the location. Apartments provide many advantages and benefits for tourists to stay comfortable during the tour. You can freely stay in the city for business purposes or for study as these lodging options are considered to be the best if your lodging duration is of more than a month. Therefore, you should consider booking an apartment beforehand to avoid last moment troubles. In most of the apartments, you will be surrounded by local people who will help you to know and observe their lifestyle more closely. There are some rental apartments available in the city.
- Nobatia Guest House
- Roma House
- The Green Nubian House
- Aswan Cozy Apartment
- Keka Nubian House
Couchsurfing is highly preferred in and around the city and offers a temporary stay with a group of locals, who are ready to assist with the services of providing you the facilities of shelter and food during the visit to their home town. It is the best option to get accommodation for the one who doesn’t want to spend much on lodging. Besides being low in cost, you will be provided nearly all the facilities that are required. Hence, it will assist you to save money and explore the culture more attentively. It will also be very beneficial for you as it will grant you the chance to interact with the locals and know a brief account of the living of the locals. Further, it will help you to learn the local language of the city and scout some of the untouched but amazing features of the city.
Aswan offers amazing campgrounds that are located at a distance from the city. They provide the best hospitality and amenities that can ensure your stay be pleasant and relaxing as highly possible. Besides, they completely pay attention to serve the detail shines during every moment of your stay. This place has beautifully landscaped grounds. Besides, they offer a relaxing environment where you can ensure to stay peacefully.
How to Get There
The transportation services available widely in Aswan are well-connected and highly-maintained with comfortable facilities. Airways is the most suitable and fastest way to get in the city as compared to others. Furthermore, if you are traveling from nearby locations, then you can prefer buses and trains that widely cover various regions in and around the city. Besides, the city also has a great extension of roadways that are interlinked with several other routes leading to the lanes and streets of the city. The options of rental cars and boats are also available in the city. You can also prefer to travel by taxi and shuttles to cover the distance inside the city.
Aswan International Airport on the west bank and just south of the high dam. The airlines that operate services to Aswan International Airport are Astraeus (from London Gatwick), EgyptAir (from Abu Simbel, Cairo, Luxor), and LotusAir (from Cairo).
From Hurghada, buses leave Aswan. The route is operated by Upper Egypt Bus Co. and the tickets are sold on the bus, but be sure to ask the price at the ticket office, because the ticket seller on the bus might often raise the price and pocket the excess if you are a foreigner.
Aswan Railway Station is located on the north end of the city center. Aswan is the southern terminus of the Egyptian railway network. The line follows the Nile north to Luxor, Cairo, and Alexandria. The train is an excellent way to travel between Aswan and Luxor as it is too short to fly.
Hitchhiking is the method of taking a lift to reach other locations while being on your way has become very common in different cities located across the world. Aswan city also provides this facility. You can easily reach the nearby locations free of cost or sometimes, at a minimal cost. Also, you can cover the nearby distance with a comfortable ride and in a short time duration. Besides, traveling through this mode of transport will assist you to gain a fascinating experience and help you to meet new people too. It is an effective means of traveling which provides the facility of taking a lift from the passer-by who is heading towards the same locations as yours.
Cruise ships run between Aswan and Luxor most days. These are luxury cruise tours taking 5 or more days. A passenger ferry operated by Nile River Valley Transport Corporation sails across Lake Nasser to Wadi Halfa in Sudan once a week.
Being a tourist, you should always opt to go with the transportation options that will help you to spend less money and get the chance to explore more. The city provides you several options to visit the interior of the city. Therefore, getting an idea about the various types of transportation will help you get familiar with transport services available in Port-au-Prince. Hence, you can opt for transport services like bicycles, cars, etc.
Walking is not only the best eco-friendly mode of transportation but also the most common way to get around the city and check out the interiors. Walking down the lanes and streets will also help you to understand the culture of the city. Also, it is one of the best ways of traveling when you want to explore the nearby market areas without missing anything. Further, you will get the chance to meet the locals as you come across the localities while shopping through the paths of the market. Therefore, Aswan is compact enough to negotiate primarily on foot.
Bikes or bicycles are widely used across the city and are considered as the most effective way to go around the town. Besides, they are comparatively cheap and fast and can also be used for fun purposes like cycling.
To date, there are no electric car services in the city. But, the city is planning to introduce electric cars in the coming years. They are also working to establish charging stations in various regions for the smooth functioning of these cars.
Public buses are not widely available around the city, but For Philae, the High Dam, and the unfinished obelisks, you can take a taxi, tuk-tuk or a horse-drawn carriage. It is also possible to get close to the Philae docks with a public pick-up truck that is going in the direction of the university. Public buses don't go to the airport.
Tram, Train and Subway
From Cairo, there are four types of train that serves Aswan and nearby locations. The Daytime expresses have 1st and 2nd class air-conditioned coaches called AC1 and AC2 with comfortable aircraft-style seats. They are a relaxing way to sit back and view the lush landscape of the Nile valley. Another is the Overnight expresses that are identical to the daytime trains and have the same fares, but they are not sleepers. Next is the Deluxe sleepers that are run by a private company, Watania. These have modern air-conditioned sleeping-cars, with a choice of 1 and 2 berth cabins and a club or lounge car. One sleeper runs nightly year-round, southbound from Cairo Ramses, and northbound from Aswan. Extra sleepers run at busy times but these trains may commence from Giza rather than from Cairo Ramses station. The last one is the local trains, which are non-a/c trains and run between Cairo, Luxor and Aswan during the daytime and overnight, stopping at most stations.
Shopping helps you to understand the culture very closely and become more conscious about their tradition. Purchasing some of the unique things such as souvenirs or items for loved ones is a very common activity for tourists. You will get several stores and shops that sell various unique items. Instead of casual shopping, people around the world are now opting for sustainable shopping that helps to shop lovely things at low costs. The facility of sustainable shopping is highly offered by the city. Hence, you will get numerous other gift items as well.
The food market of the city is always crowded with the locals as well as the tourists. You will also get a wide range of seasonal produce including an excellent variety of fruits and vegetables. The city also holds meat and fish markets, where you will get a variety of meats and fishes. Besides, the food market also serves a variety of eateries that are highly recommended by visitors.
Aswan Souk is a colorful bazaar that offers Egyptian and African goods. It is locally known as Sharia as-Souq and is the cheapest place to buy souvenirs in Aswan. Located about four blocks from the Nile and running about 7 blocks in parallel to the river, the bazaar has plenty of Egyptian and African goods. Traders sell a wide variety of goods that include spices, henna powder, perfumes, peanuts, t-shirts, dried hibiscus flowers, and custom made Ancient Egyptian styled souvenirs. Inside the alleys, you will find traders who are selling Nubian artefacts such as Sudanese swords, skullcaps, spices and carpets, talismans and baskets, and stuffed animals such as crocodiles.
Second Hand Stores
There are few thrift stores located in the city. They are known to provide a big collection of used books, souvenirs such as paintings, handicrafts, and many more. Hence, you are recommended to visit these stores to support the locals of the city. Further, these stores are often run for charitable purposes to support the city locals.
Many fashion brands are opting for this eco-fashion business. Therefore, eco-fashion clothes are very much in demand, across the city. These clothes positively affect the environment and help to maintain an eco-friendly atmosphere. The city hold some of the stores and shops that sell eco-fashion clothes. These clothes are manufactured by using raw materials that are obtained from organic plants. Also, the extensive use of natural dyes is considered to be a part of these sustainable clothes.
Recycling is an effective way to preserve nature. Aswan is effectively working on several measures that can help to recycle waste products. They are committed to dramatically reduce post-consumer waste in the city. Therefore, the facilities provided by the management have the ability to sort and recycle things like plastic, organic material, cardboard, steel items, and many others. Further, these recycled products are turned into new items that are usable. Also, recycling helps to reduce the toxins that harm the environment.
Many countries across the world have taken the necessary steps to improve the environment and reduce waste collection. Egypt is not one of the fast runners in this case, but they have taken the steps to improve the condition as soon as possible. They work to collect the wastes from the different regions of the city and then send them for treatment. This helps in the waste management program. Along with the government, many private companies have started to support and provide all the necessary things. The collection of this waste has assisted to keep the city clean and free from impurities.
Work and Study Abroad
There are many colleges available in the city which offer benefits like exchange students that help the students to study in the country at a low cost. Apart from this, there are many migrants as well who are working and earning their living pretty well. Plenty of jobs are available in the country that helps workers from different countries to earn a lot.
Exchange student programs are served by the colleges and universities of the city. They assist to provide an effective way of education to foreign students from across different countries. The best thing about this facility is that students can study at foreign universities only with the college fee. Further, they also aid to provide beneficial methods for foreign students to boost their skills. Many students are living in the country to complete their education successfully with the help of the exchange student.
The options of au pair in the city are quite helpful for the people who came to earn a living in the city. Any person can get this facility under which the person has to work for a host family in the city to get money in return. It provides a good source of income for outsiders. Sometimes, the host family offers a place to the worker for their stay.
Volunteering is highly conducted across the city. You will come across many foreigners who are participating in the volunteering work conducted in the city. Working weekly or monthly as a helping hand for the betterment of society is really admirable and contributes towards the noble cause. Many people love to participate in the social events organized under volunteering. You can have a look at the online services to know about the options that you can choose to volunteer.