Eco-friendly travel guide to Bangladesh advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Bangladesh, Asia.
- Air quality: 2 / 5
- Bus connections: 3 / 5
- Train connections: 3.5 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3 / 5
- National parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 2 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$25 - $50
- Budget per day: US$50 - $100
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Bangladesh is a country in the South Asian continent that is situated on the east of India and on the banks of the Bay of Bengal. This country is famous for offering different waterways and lush greenery. Many travelers from different countries visit Bangladesh to witness the best sceneries.
The total population of the country is around 161,376,708, and the total area is more than 147,570 square kilometers. Their official language is Bengali and you will find a lot of similarities with the Kolkata city in India. While traveling to the country and witnessing different famous attractions, you need to keep some of the things in mind.
- One of the most important things that you need to keep in mind during your tour is visiting the green parks of the country. It will help you to get fresh air and close to nature
- Along with the traditional cuisines from the big restaurants, make sure to try the street foods from the small vendors to help them
- As the country is very well known for having lush green, choose local transportation to move around the country to keep the environment green and eco-friendly
- Make your stay comfortable in the country by choosing green hotels instead of others to reduce the pollution of the country and try some green methods
- During your trip to the country, try to choose all the local and small vendors to save money and support them
Air Quality and Pollution
Prior to your visit to this country, you need to know how good the air quality is to be safe during the trip. Knowing the air quality will help you a lot to take the necessary precautions for your safety. The air quality of Bangladesh is not good, and most of the time in the year, it stays unhealthy.
While some of the places in the country still have good and healthy air quality index, most of the other places have polluted air. The average AQI of Bangladesh is around 165, which is not safe for travelers. It is very high from the recommended AQI provided by WHO. So, travelers need to take extra precautions and maintain their safety measures to stay healthy.
People who have specific health conditions like serious breathing problems or asthma, then you will need to consult a doctor to know what medicines you will need to carry. It will help you a lot to stay safe in the country and explore the country without any interruptions.
Respect the Culture
The culture of Bangladesh plays a major role in attracting people from different countries. It is very unique and recognizable which makes it interesting for the tourists. You will witness a diverse and rich culture in this country that reflects in all the different things like paintings, dance, architecture, music, and others. Most of the people that you will come across in the country belong to Buddhism, Hinduism, and mostly Islam.
You will also see the influence of these cultures on the history and culture of the country. From foods to clothes, you will be able to get the cultural touch in almost all of the things in the country. As there are different religious people in this country the diversity is very visible in traditions and rituals also. Foods, tigers, fish, and many other things in this country will help you get the best experience of their culture.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Bangladesh has many famous attractions and places that attract people from different countries every year. Before stepping into the country, you need to know what are the places that you need to keep on top of the must-visit list. Here are some of the places given below that you can visit to get the best traveling experience in Bangladesh.
- The Sundarbans - This is one of the popular forests in Asia that is available in both India and Bangladesh. Most of the area of this forest comes from Bangladesh that you can visit to get a very unique wildlife experience. It makes headlines very often and famous around the world because of the Royal Bengal Tiger
- Srimangal - If you are in love with green places and nature, then this place is for you. Located in the Moulvibazar district, this area is known around the country for tea gardens and the rains that help them to grow fast. When you are exploring the area, you will find a lot of different plants and trees
- Cox’s Bazar - A beautiful little town located in south-east Bangladesh, which is known for the stunning beach and fishing skiffs. The beach stretches more than 120 kilometers with the Indian Ocean. You will be able to enjoy very good views and some of the outdoor activities in this town
- Dhaka - Dhaka is the capital city of Bangladesh, and it contains some of the best experiences of entire Bangladesh. The city has historical stories of British rule that will help you to know a lot. Now, nearly 17 million people stay in this city, and you will find a lot of monuments, churches, temples, mosques, foods, and others in this city
- Saint Martin - This is a must-visit area of the country that you need to include in your list. It is the only coral island in this country that you can visit and witness lapping blue seas, shifting sands, and beautiful sceneries
- Chittagong - It is a city located in Bangladesh that is very well known compared to other cities in Bangladesh. This city has a lot to offer from scenic beauties to outdoor activities. The city has a total of 2.5 million population along with a shipbreaking yard, Foy’s Lake, and others
- Bandarban - This is a town in Bangladesh that is surrounded by different mountains like Wayla, Muranja, and Chimbook. This town is elevated from the ground more than 1,000 meters and offers a very good hilltop environment. From arts, crafts to rivers and green, all of the things are available in this town
- Paharpur - This is a famous attraction that is located in the Naogaon district. This town is very popular in the country for having the UNESCO heritage site Somapura Mahavihara. Not only in this country, but this place is also very well known in South Asia as a Buddhist archeological site
- Rangamati - A bit different from all the other towns in the country, Rangamati offers a completely different environment. Surrounded by the Chittagong hills, this town is known for the green and blue background that is fascinating for travelers. You will be able to do many outdoor activities in the town as well
- Bagerhat - If you want to know the history of Bangladesh, then this city can help you to know a lot. It might not be as popular as Dhaka, but you will be able to see a lot of attractions in the city from the tomb of Saint Khan Jahan Ali and many other things.
You will get a very good experience of Bangladesh culture while exploring the country. From foods to clothes, Bangladesh is very popular in the world for providing the best travel experience. Apart from foods, clothes, people, and their traditions, there are many famous locations in the country that are well known all around the world.
During your exploration in this country, you will come across a lot of different things that will make you stunned. Make sure to visit all the cities in Bangladesh and explore the forests for a lifetime experience. As the country is known for lush greenery and waterways, you will find it very exciting as an eco-friendly traveler.
City parks play a major role in every country to make it more eco-friendly and provide fresh air to the citizens. In every city of Bangladesh, you will find a lot of city parks that you can visit to get closer to nature. Here are some of them given below that you can add to your list.
- Sahanabag City Park - This is one of the popular city parks in the country that is located in Naogaon and decorated with lush green, playground for kids. You will be able to find a pond, community center, and different trees in this park with a big area. As an eco-friendly traveler, this park is a must-visit place for you in Bangladesh
- Sheikh Russel Nagar Park - The country is known for having a lot of green and water, and this park is a perfect example of it. Located in Narayanganj, this city park invites a lot of people every day to enjoy both lake and the green around. You will also get to see many lights in this place after the evening, Take a break from all the crowd and visit this park to enjoy the fresh air
You will not get disappointed in Bangladesh if you love to roam forests and enjoy the wildlife. There are a total of 8 national parks situated in this country that you can visit for the best experience. Here are some of the best national parks that you can visit for a memorable wildlife experience.
- Sundarban - One of the first names that come to mind while talking about national parks in the Sundarban forest. The best thing about this forest is the Royal Bengal Tiger. Sundarban is a mangrove forest and home to many animals. More than 30,000 spotted deers roam this jungle with plenty of other rare species of animals. This is a place that you can’t afford to miss when visiting Bangladesh
- Bhawal National Park - Another magnificent national park in Bangladesh that covers more than 5025 ha of the area and is located in Gazipur, Dhaka. Bhawal National Park is a forest that offers a lot of flora and fauna, sal trees, different kinds of animals, trees, and others. Although the forest has lost density with the illegal deforestation, it is recovering very fast. You will be able to see the lush greenery and animals like tigers, black panthers, clouded leopards, elephants, and others
As the country is located near the Bay of Bengal, there is a lot of available in Bangladesh around 15. You will be able to get an unforgettable moment on these beaches, and here are some of the famous ones.
- Cox’s Bazar Sea Beach - This is known to be the largest beach in the world that is located in Cox’s Bazar district. It is one of the natural beauties in Bangladesh that attract a lot of tourists every year. This beach is as long as 120km and provides the best sunset and sunrise views along with outdoor activities
- Kuakata Beach - Another popular beach situated in the Patuakhali district and known for giving a very good view of the travelers. You will be able to walk on the beach and enjoy the light breeze along with enjoying the sunset. The 18km long beach offers both sunset and sunrise that you can enjoy simultaneously
During your trip to this country, you need to know what are the best landmarks in this country. Yes, there are many landmarks available that you can choose to visit for the best experience. While some of them are man-made, others are natural and hold some unforgettable stories.
- Ashan Manzil - This is one of the most famous landmarks in Bangladesh that attracts both tourists and local people. This landmark is located in Dhaka the capital city and used by the official resident palace for Nawabs
- Somapura Mahavihara - This is one of the significant landmarks of the country that represents the Indian subcontinent and * Buddhist viharas and is situated in Paharpur. This is one of the archeological sites in Bangladesh which got the title of UNESCO World Heritage site
- Shalban Vihar - This is another Buddhist site that is very crucial for the country. It is one of the oldest sites in the country that is located in Comilla. It is the home of more than 115 monks
If you like to explore the country and know more about the history that took place in this country, then make sure to visit the famous museums of Bangladesh. Here are some of the popular museums in the country that will help you to know more about the history of Bangladesh and some of the priceless artifacts.
- Bangladesh National Museums - Without any second doubt, visit the national museum in Bangladesh that is very popular around the country, which is located in Dhaka city. You will get to see some of the prehistoric artifacts in this museum. There are many rooms and sections in the museums and each of them contains a rich history of the country along with arts, paintings, armors, and others
- Liberation War Museum - Another Museum that is situated in Dhaka city and very popular is this one. As the name suggests, this museum helps you to know the past of Bangladesh and the war of liberation. There are a total of six galleries available in this museum that you can visit to witness the history of Bangladesh
Food is a very crucial part of every culture as it helps to know the lifestyle, choices of local people. When it comes to food, Bangladesh is one of the most popular countries in the world. Some of the dishes in this country are very well known around the world because of the spices and unique cooking skills. The traditional dishes that you will get in this country are one of a kind.
As there are many different religions living in the same country, you will find differences in food in different cities. However, visit the capital city of Bangladesh Dhaka to find some of the most delicious food items. From street foods to big restaurants, the food will make you stunned. The foods in Bangladesh are very similar to the Indian city Kolkata. Make sure to try the Hilsa fish during your trip to Bangladesh, this fish of Bangladesh is world-famous.
Just like foods, drinks are also a very important part of the culture. You will find different types of drinks in different countries. Bangladesh is no exception, different cities in the country offer a different type of drinks. During the exploration, you will need to take the help of drinks as they help to get your energy and get refreshed. From soft drinks to alcohol, everything is available in this country.
But before trying them, you need to try the traditional drinks. Some of the traditional drinks of Bangladesh include lassi, tea, sarbat, and others. All of them are widely available in almost all the cities in this country. Apart from that, you can also drink alcohol but the alcohol drinking rate in this country is the lowest in Asia. However, alcohol is available along with other drinks that will keep you going towards your destination.
Tap water is one of the things that you need to know a lot before visiting the country. You do not want to get ill on your trip and miss some of the famous places. Knowing details about the tap water will help you to stay safe. Well, it is hard to tell if the tap water is safe in Bangladesh or not as many sources are claiming it is safe and others claiming it caused diarrhea.
You will see most of the people in this country are using tap water for drinking, washing face, and many other things. Most people filter the water very well before drinking it and others also boil it very well. You can either use the tap water after boiling and filtering or there are many packaged drinking water bottles available that come at a low cost.
Bangladesh is filled with different activities that will make you stunned. Despite being a smaller country compared to other countries in Asia, they have some of the best monuments and history that attract people from foreign countries. Not only famous attractions, but the country also features more than 15 beaches as it is situated near the Bay of Bengal.
As the country has mountains, beaches, and a lot of forests, you will be able to do a lot of outdoor activities in this country. Plenty of places are there in this country that are ideal for trekking, hiking, rock climbing, boat riding, fishing, beach walk, scuba diving, wildlife exploring, and others. You will never fall out of options to participate in different activities while exploring this country.
After a long day and covering many places in Bangladesh, one of the most common things that every traveler will look for is a great place to rest. You do not need to worry while traveling because Bangladesh offers some of the best accommodation options to travelers. The accommodation options were not as good as now in the past times, but it has changed a lot in the last few years.
You will get any type of accommodation you want in this country from green hotels to renting services, at reasonable prices. You need to choose a place for your stay based on your budget and duration.
You can choose both luxurious 5-star hotels or cheap apartments to save money and stay for a long time. So, here are some of the details about the different accommodation given below that will help you to know what options are available to you to stay in this country.
Green hotels are one of the best options to stay in the country for an eco-friendly traveler. These hotels use eco-friendly measures to keep the tourists healthy and help them to get fresh air. Instead of chemicals and artificial items, they use natural resources. Luckily, there are some green hotels in Bangladesh that you can choose to stay.
You might not be able to get green hotels in every city of Bangladesh. Compared to other countries, the number of green hotels is low in Bangladesh. However, they are trying very hard in the last few years to adopt eco-friendly measures in every sector. You can take the help of online services to get a room in these green hotels at a reasonable price.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are planning to stay for weeks in this country and want to save some money, then you can choose hostels and guest houses. There are plenty of guesthouses and hostels in the country that you can choose from. There are plenty of hostels available in the country that you can get in different price ranges.
They offer some of the common benefits of hotels along with all the basic benefits. There are some cities in Bangladesh, where you might not find a lot of guesthouses. It is easier to take the help of online services to find them and book them. Sharable options are available in some of the hostels that further reduces the fare of the room.
Staying in apartments is the best option for you if you are traveling the country to observe the culture. Also, this is a cheaper option compared to all the other ones that help you to stay without any issue and get the basic benefits as well. Most of the apartments are also filled with locals that will help you to get surrounded by local people. Staying close to them helps a lot to observe the culture and get friendly with them.
Most of the apartments are cheaper and easy to book, but there are some expensive ones as well that offer luxurious benefits. You will have to take the help of online services to book them easily and prevent any hassle. You will come across many travelers in Bangladesh who stay in apartments for a long time to enjoy all the different cities and the unique culture.
Couchsurfing is a very helpful and unique option for accommodation that helps to save a lot of money and get the best hospitality. It might have been difficult for you to find a host for Couchsurfing in Bangladesh, but the country has developed a lot in different things. There are many travelers who offer Couchsurfing to other travelers.
However, taking the help of online services is the best way to find them and contact them. Make sure to do the process earlier to confirm your stay, it will help you a lot to stay like a local in the country. From foods to lifestyle, you will be able to witness it all from very close. Also, the local family will help you to know information about the country.
Camping is one of the best ways to stay in the country for all nature lovers. Many travelers choose camping spots to stay in the country that helps them to enjoy a lot of great views. Bangladesh offers a lot of adventurous camping spots and most of them are located near the beaches, mountains, or jungles.
You will be able to take part in many outdoor activities as well from these camping spots. In most of the camps in this country, some of the common things that you will get include fresh air, beautiful sceneries, basic features, open sky, and others. It is best to book camping spots online to ensure your rooms and avoid any hassle.
|Dhaka Division |
Home to the capital city, jute, and rice paddies.
|Chittagong Division |
A picturesque hinterland of large hills, forests, and beaches.
|Rajshahi Division ( )|
Known for its silk, mangoes, and dozens of archaeological ruins.
|Khulna Division ( )|
A relaxing, slow paced area; home of the Sundarbans.
|Sylhet Division ( )|
Home to endless rolling tea estates and beautiful natural scenery.
|Barisal Division ( )|
The land of rivers, paddies, and green.
|Rangpur Division ( )|
Temples, culture, and a rural lifestyle.
- Dhaka - The hectic capital city, an intense and thriving metropolis of around 12 million people that's growing by the day
- Chittagong - a bustling commercial centre and the largest international seaport in the country
- Mymensingh - a historic city located by the side of river Brahmaputa, has got a rich cultural and political history dating back to more than 200 years
- Khulna - located on the Rupsha River, famous for shrimp and a starting point for journeys into the Sundarbans
- Rajshahi - the silk city
- Rangpur - important city in the north-west, with agriculture and trade
- Barisal - Southern city famous for Paddy growing and many rivers, best reached by a slow-paced and relaxing boat ride on the Rocket Steamer
- Sylhet - the largest city in the northeast, known for the shrine of Sufi saint Hazrat Shahjalal, one of the holiest sites in the country
- Jessore - a nondescript small town, and a likely transit point to or from Kolkata, famous for Gur, a form of cake-like molasses produced from the extract of the date tree
Getting There and Moving Around
One of the things that you need to keep in your mind while planning a trip to the country is the transportation mode to choose. Based on your location or country, you will need to choose the mode of transportation. From most of the countries, air is the most convenient way to travel to Bangladesh. You will be able to get many other transportations to travel to Bangladesh as well such as railway, water, road, and others.
Upon reaching the country, there are plenty of local transportations that are available to move around. From fueled cars to eco-friendly ways, you can choose any of them in the different price ranges. However, try to use eco-friendly transportation as much as you can to keep the country safe from pollution.
As mentioned above, the air is the most common way used by travelers from different countries to reach Bangladesh. You will be able to find flights for this country from most of the other countries, and it will also help you to reach faster compared to others. Biman Bangladesh Airlines, UBD, and other airlines are very well connected with other countries. They run frequently to other international airports around the world.
This country has a total of 3 international airports and the largest one among them is the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport. Apart from that, there are also 2 domestic air[orts in the country that you can use to reach one city to another in Bangladesh. If you do not have much time on your hand, then the flight is the best way to move around different cities in the country.
Buses are known to be the cheapest mode of transportation in this country. You will get the option to reach the country by bus from some of the neighboring countries. But if you are not traveling from nearby countries, then you will not be able to reach Bangladesh by Bus. However, after entering the country, there are many local buses that you will get to see in every city.
Buses are used by the local people to move from different places in the locality. Most of the buses are crowded and it helps to give you a very nice experience of the culture. The country offers a lot of bus stations and terminals in almost every city that will help you to get a comfortable journey.
Trains are a very good way to reach the country that many travelers choose. Flights might be the fastest way to reach the country but the train journey offers a completely different experience to the travelers along with a lot of scenic views on the way. Trains are directly available from some countries like India. When it comes to moving around, the country has local trains, metro trains, international trains, express trains, and many others that help you to visit different places easily.
The local trains are very crowded and come with a very rich experience of traveling. You will be able to get trains from most of the major cities in the country. The train fare is lower compared to other modes of transportation in the country. There are more than 489 railway stations available in Bangladesh.
Hitchhiking is a popular way to travel throughout the world. It saves a lot of money and provides a very good adventure for travelers. You will need to take lifts on the road to reach the country while hitchhiking. Now, Bangladesh is very well connected to other countries via highways and the people are also very helpful. There are many travelers who have visited the country using hitchhike. If you are planning to hitchhike, then make sure to choose the high roads. It is best to try the petrol pumps and tolls on the highways to get a life successfully and reach faster to the country.
There are many other ways of transportation the travelers can use to reach the country or move around from city to city in Bangladesh. Some of them that come on this list are by water, by road, and others. You will be able to visit a lot of cities in Bangladesh from another city with the help of a boat or ferry as many cities are located on the banks of the Bay of Bengal. Another very good way to move around or reach the country is by driving motorcycles and cars using highways. Although it takes a lot of time to reach using these modes of transportation, it provides a very good experience and scenic beauties.
Sustainable shopping is very important for all the countries in the world as it helps to improve the environment of the country. Bangladesh has taken a lot of initiatives and started to adopt recycled things as well. However, the improvement is still slow compared to other countries.
If you are in search of some of the best antiques or vintage items, then you will not be disappointed as there are many flea shops in the country that offer these items at a reasonable price. You might need to explore the country and all the cities in it, but you will also find some second-hand shops that offer high-quality clothes, jewelry, accessories to customers at a low price.
Recycling is a very important thing for Bangladesh as they need to improve their air quality and reduce pollution. They are now able to recycle more than 50% of plastic waste that is produced every year, which is far more compared to past times. With a proper recycling system, Bangladesh can save around $801 million per year. So, the government and people of the country are trying to minimize the use of plastic and other products that cause pollution. The number of initiatives is increasing every year in this country. Make sure to play your part in keeping the environment safe in this country during your trip.
Every year Bangladesh produces more than 633129 tons of plastic waste and the total waste of Bangladesh is estimated to increase by more than 50% by 2025. The waste collection date of Dhaka is around 37% that makes it a very progressive country. The number of initiatives is increasing to reduce total waste.
As most of the waste is dumped in landfills, the government is trying hard to minimize the waste. Many recycling processes are there that help to convert the waste and use it in other things. You will get many waste bins around the different cities of Bangladesh that you can use to dump all the waste to keep the country clean.
Work and Study Abroad
Although the people of Bangladesh are very well known for working in other countries to earn money. You will come across a lot of students and workers from other countries who are staying in the country. There are many different universities available in the country that offer a lot of benefits to international students. Also, jobs are available for foreign workers as well that attracts them to the country. You can also take the help of online services to get jobs and other study benefits from the country. Here are some of the benefits and details about them that you will be able to get in Bangladesh.
The exchange student is one of the most popular benefits that foreign students can get to study in different countries. With the help of this program, you will be able to study at different universities in other countries only with the college fee. Many universities in this country have a partnership with all the other countries that helps them to accrue international students easily. However, you will need to get nominated by the home university to get these benefits from your college. You can take the help of online services to know which colleges and schools in Bangladesh offer this benefit to foreign students.
Au Pair is a nice way to get instant shelter, food, and some pocket money in the country in the initial stage. The number of Au Pair jobs in Bangladesh is low compared to other countries but you will get one easily using online services. This benefit is mostly used by foreign students or workers during the time of settling down in the country. It helps a lot to earn some money as well as get some of the best stays in the country. You will have to take care of the elder people, the baby, or the household in absence of the owner.
If you want to keep the lush green and beautiful beaches of Bangladesh clean and clear, then you can contribute to it by volunteering. You can volunteer for different works other than keeping the beaches or forest clean such as protecting the historical places, teaching English to local people, guiding other tourists, and many more. It will not only help the country to stay clean but also help you to get familiar with the local people and language.