Eco-friendly travel guide to Canberra advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Canberra, Australia.
- Air quality: 3.2 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.9 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.8 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.9 / 5
- Parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.9 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.8 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$900 - $1300
- Budget per day: US$1150 - $1200
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Eco-friendly travel guide to Canberra advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally-owned hotels, organic restaurants, and other businesses.
Canberra is the capital of Australia and it lays between the two rival cities Sydney and Melbourne. Canberra is also known as the cultural capital of the country due to its famous art galleries, concerts, and exhibitions. It is the most visited place in the country and there are a number of things that attract tourists around the globe to visit Canberra. You can start your tour by hiking in mount Ainslie and witness the spectacular views of the city beyond the beautiful mountain. You can even attain the latest exhibition in the city in the national gallery of Australia. You can even attain the festivals of the city as when you are exploring the city you will realize that the people of Canberra don’t require a particular day to celebrate any festival, they celebrate every day and every moment so the city always stays in the festive mood throughout the year. You can attain the Canberra balloon festival in the month of March where the skies around the city are filled with colorful balloons. Canberra is also considered the best place to admire the wildlife and nature as the city is filled with amazing parks where you can find several picnic spots as well. However, there are many more places in the city that needs your attention but don’t forget your duty as a responsible traveler when you are exploring these wonderful places.
- You should visit all the local and national parks of the city, it will help you to stay close to nature and you can also plan a perfect picnic with your loved ones here.
- You can consider eating from the local shops of the city, it will help you to understand the culture of the city in a better way. It will also support the economy of the city.
- You can easily get a nonfuel vehicle in the city through which you can travel the inner parts. These types of vehicles help to create less pollution.
- You should opt for green hotels instead of regular hotels, this type of hotel works for reducing the amount of waste generated in the city. It provides a healthy environment for travelers.
- You can choose to buy all the essential goods from the local shops of the city, local shops are best to shop from especially when you are in an unknown place. It will help you to save a lot of money.
Air Quality and Pollution
Canberra is the most polluted city in Australia and lies in the third most polluted city in the country. It is the most visited city in the country and due to its popularity and over crowdies, the city faces a lot of problems related to the quality of the air. The city is the hub of many industries and factories which are the ultimate source of pollution and apart from those, the harmful gases from the vehicles are another major reason. When you are visiting this city, it is highly recommended for you to opt for ways to create less pollution like living in a green hotel or opting for non-fuel-based vehicles for traveling. You can also take precautions to avoid any serious health condition, especially when you are traveling with kids or older adults.
Respect the Culture
Canberra is famous for its museums, galleries, the world’s leading universities, and for many more things. Along with that, the city is famous for its beautiful buildings and infrastructure. There are a lot of things to see and do in the city, you can start with visiting museums or you can visit the coffee hub. You can also choose to explore the beauty outside of the city; you can also take a tour of the parliament house, this parliament house in the national political hub of the nation from the day it opened in the year 1988. This iconic building has breathtaking views of the city from the top, it is open every day for the tourists between 9 am to 5 pm, it is the best place to visit with your friends or family to capture the beautiful movements of the city. You can also visit the national zoo and aquarium especially if you are traveling with kids. You can also visit the botanical garden and plan a relaxed picnic with your family or friends.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Canberra is a city full of historical sites and places, people around the globe love to visit this beautiful city and from the past few years, the city has witnessed a tremendous amount of visitors. Here is the list of the top ten places in the city you must visit.
- Australian War Memorial – The Australian war memorial is a combination of world-class museums, shrines, and an extensive archive. The memorial was build in order to remember the sacrifices of the Australian soldiers who died in the war. You can even book a guided tour to understand the culture of the city.
- National Gallery of Australia – This gallery is also famous as a home of the visual art collection. There was about 17,000 highly piece of art spanning the four main areas of the city that includes Australian art, American art, Asian art, and Torres Strait Islander art.
- Australian Parliament House – This is a national meeting place f nation and it offers visitors a unique experience. You can visit this place and experience Australia’s robust democracy in action. It is open every day on Christmas day and the time of visiting may differ.
- Mount Ainslie Lookout – The top of the mountain allows you to witness the beautiful sceneries of the city including the famous places. Nothing can beat the mesmerizing views of the city at night. You can plan a night out here with your loved ones.
- Royal Australian Mint – This place should be included in your must-visit places list as here you can even learn the making process of coins via viewing platform and multiple interactive displays. In other words, you can discover a fascinating world of making coins through a free guided tour.
- Questacon – It can be your one-stop destination to witness all the fun activities in the city. It is basically an exhibition of more than 200 educational actives which can be considered as a science fun activity and if you are traveling with kids then you should definitely visit this place.
- Lake Burley Griffin – This is the most famous lake in the city and it is surrounded by many food stalls or other fun activities sessions and along with that you can even get few exciting things to buy. You can plan a day out here and experience the culture of the city through locals passing by.
- National Zoo and Aquarium – This nation zoo and aquarium occupies 25 hectares of land and it is just 5 minutes away from the center of the city. You can witness the wide varieties of land animals and water animals. If you are traveling with kids then the place should be there on your list.
- Cockington Green – Cockington green is a garden which is owned by a family and it is open for the tourist since 1979. It is the best place to visit in the city and it is for all age groups, the garden is very beautiful surrounded by green lawns and it also has a steam train ride. You can plan a barbeque picnic which is equipped with all the necessary stuff and hence is it considered as the perfect place for a whole family to visit.
- Jerrabomberra Wetland – Jerrabomberra is a place usually preferred by the locals and tourists who love bird watching. It is the perfect place to have a picnic or spend some quality time with your loved ones while enjoying a perfect view of nature.
When it comes to exploring the exciting places of the city, the above ten places are not enough, and they’re a lot more to see and observe in the city. The city parks and museums are something that represents the culture of Canberra’s people and you should definitely visit these places.
- The Beijing Garden – It is a famous Chinese garden situated near Lake Burley Griffin. The garden is filled with famous sculptures and Chinese monuments; it is like a hidden gem in the city and the picturesque views of the garden definitely need your attention.
- National Arboretum – The breathtaking views of the living forest and gardens offers a mesmerizing and unique experience one cannot miss. The national arboretum alone can be a very good reason for visiting Canberra, you can even listen to whispers of the Himalayas and roam around anywhere in the park free of cost unless you want to buy something to eat or drink.
- South Broulee Beach – It is one of the most famous beaches in the city and always filled with locals and considered as a number surf spot. The great facilities and rolling waves of the sea attract a massive number of visitors from every corner of the city and tourists around the globe. The beach is overcrowded in the summer months.
- Pretty Beach – The pretty beach got its name due to the pristine ocean and luscious greenery which is not only adored by the locals but the travelers across the globe. You can witness friendly kangaroos and other abundance wildfire roaming around the beach, they are very friendly and you can even click pictures with them.
- Lilli Pilli Beach – You can plan a relaxing Sunday on the Lilli Pilli beach away from the crowds and nearer to the turquoise waters. It is a 200m long beach filled with some well-developed rock patterns. This place is always filled with the locals as it is considered as one the most unspoiled beauty of nature.
The city has a lot more to offer to its travelers and there are several places that need your attention. The famous landmarks of Canberra are the Australian war memorial, Telstra tower, and parliament house. You can also plan a day for visiting the famous museums of the city to understand the culture of Canberra.
- National Museum of Australia – The national museum of Australia is the perfect place to know everything about the past, present, and future of Australia. A museum is a must-visit place and it is considered to be useful for all age groups. You can take a walk through the gardens of Australia’s dreams or you can witness the symbolical area comprising water features.
- Canberra museum and gallery – This place is situated in the London circuit and provides the history and culture of this region. You can witness the famous priceless paintings of the late artist Sidney Nolan who has donated this masterpiece to this nation in the year 1974. You can find a collection of such paintings all over the place in this museum.
You can experiment with foods when you are in Canberra; there are a lot of varieties when it comes to foods in the city. Lamb shoulder, topped with yogurt, vine leaf, pomegranate, pistachio, and brik is the best thing you can ever have in the city. Brodburger is another famous food in the city, it is basically loaded with half-pound patties, crispy bacon, eggs, and your choice of cheese and you can never miss Akiba which is a pork belly bun and a must-have snack with evening snacks. The city has all types of cuisine available from all the corners of the world, but nothing can beat the taste of traditional foods of the city and one can never miss the duck pancakes when you are in Canberra. Duck pancakes are basically made of roasted duck and mushroom which gives it sweet and salty flavors. Australia is famous for its fine bread, cakes, and a tasteful series of tarts among which chocolate tart is the very renowned dessert of the city and you should definitely have one when you are in the city.
Traditional Local Restaurants
It is very important to visit all the local traditional restaurants of the city if you really want to enjoy the local dishes of the city. When you are traveling to an unknown destination it becomes very obvious to try the authentic foods of the city. Canberra is famous for its fine bread and cakes, and you should definitely try this from the local restaurant of the city. Varieties of dishes made of lamb shoulder, pork, and beef; it becomes obvious to try each dish at least once. Even if you are a vegetarian, the city has a lot to offer made of various vegetables and dairy products. Here is the list of the famous traditional restaurants in the city you can try.
- First Edition Canberra – This is the most famous restaurant in the city and here you will get all the traditional foods of the nation. This place is also considered a perfect place for date nights due to its beautiful interiors and friendly staff. They have the best menu in the whole city and they keep changing it according to the seasons and seasonal popular dishes
- Raku Japanese Restaurant – It is a traditional Japanese restaurant where you can get all the Japanese foods. The table service is great and the dressing of the foods are very eye-catching, it will definitely suit your taste buds and it comes with affordable prices which will make you want to revisit this place. You should definitely try their warm shakes and sushis.
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you prefer to eat foods made of vegetables or dairy products then there is a special place for you in the city. There are several fancy restaurants in the city that serves only vegetarian dishes that too come with great variety. Here is the list of the best vegan restaurant in the city.
- Sweet Bones Bakery and Café- It is the best place in town to have some vegan foods. There are a number of things to try in this restaurant but you can start with the most popular dishes of this café which is quite famous among the travelers and locals, and these are soul bowl, Mac n cheese, nachos, and bloody oat smoothies.
- Au Lac Dickson Vegan Cuisine – this place is famous for its vegan dishes of meats and seafood. You can try the duck wraps here which is the specialty of the restaurant and along with that you can also dumplings, eggplant hotpot, and crispy noodles. It is often said that every dish of this restaurant is a treat to your taste buds.
There are a lot more to try when it comes to the famous street foods of the city, the authentic flavors of the delightful dishes will definitely suit your taste buds. Street foods are something that represents the culture of the city and your entire trip is incomplete without it. The breakfast from the local restaurants or stall is the best, coffee and freshly baked biscuits are something you should definitely try from the local shops of the city.
Duck pancakes are another famous street food of the city which is made of roasted duck and loaded with mushrooms and spices. Street foods are one of the best parts of the local culture. Besides, you will come to know more about the local cuisine, which is undoubtedly one of the most important parts of traveling to an unknown city.
The sweet and salty flavor of the pancake, thin-crust, and eye-catching dressing is something you should never miss when you are in the city. Yabby jaffle is another popular dish in the city which is served piping hot and it is loaded with lots of butter crème, Fraiche, and horseradish and apart from this, you can also try jaffles, pork neck bao, moonlight flat oysters, and many more.
Canberra is a joyful city and it has a lot to offer to its travelers and locals of the city. This city is also known as the bush capital of Australia, you can have cold beers or mocktails here and it is widely available in every corner of the city. You can start with apple or espresso martins from the molly which is a famous spot for hangout and it is always filled with locals or travelers. If you are a big fan of alcoholic beverages like whiskey, gin, vodka, and beer from the polit baris, it is a peaceful place away from the noises of the city where you can try their famous vodka martini with olives. You can even try the fine wines of the city from the benchmark wine bar. You can try the colorful mocktails here as well or of drinks, fruit juices, and milkshakes made of seasonal fruits.
The quality of tap water in the city is very good and hence it is safe to consume water from the basins or taps idly. It is treated to the national drinking water standards. The river and lake water of Canberra are monitored regularly and hence it is highly assessable for water quality. The main source of the supply of water in Canberra is the Murrumbidgee River catchment. However, the restaurants and hotels of the city have the facilities of proving filtered water to their customers and if you have a very delicate stomach then you can choose to have this filtered water. The outer areas of the city may have some issues with the quality of the water and here you can either carry your own bottles or in extreme cases you can boil water before consuming.
Organic cafes in the city are a perfect place to relax and have some quality time with your loved ones. When you walk on the local streets of the city you will be amazed at the selection of treats on offer. The service of these cafes is excellent and the cafes of Canberra have very soothing vibes. The smell of freshly brewed coffees around this café will bound you to have a cup of coffee before doing any other work and along with that, you can taste the fine baked dishes in this café. All the ingredients used for making foods in these café are organically produced which makes these dishes even healthier and it can be the perfect place to start your day as well. Here is the list of the best cafes in the city.
- Ciao Cafe & Cakes Braddon Breakfast & Lunch
- Sweet Bones Bakery and Cafe.
The fresh handmade beers of Canberra are something you should definitely try when you are in the city. There are various places in the city where you can get plenty of beers along with tasty snacks. The atmosphere of these top breweries will give you the perfect cozy vibes which are essential to have when you are dining alone. The staffs here are very friendly and they will also help you in deciding the menu. The breweries of the city are always crowded with the locals and the tourists and some of them required a booking in advance so make sure you reserve your places before reaching the spot. Here are some top breweries in the city.
- Zierholz Premium Brewery
- BentSpoke Brewing Co
Canberra is a historical place and it is full of historical places to visit, this city is often considered a sparkling jewel due to its top tourist attractions. You can spend your days visiting the national library, national gallery, and museums of the city. You can also do some fun activities with your loved ones in the parks of the city. Lake Burley Griffin is the most beautiful place in the city, the locals of the city and the tourists gather here to spend some quality time near the lake, you can even do fishing here or just stroll along the waterfront paths. Six islands lie here and the center of it has the aspen island which is also called the national carillon, it has 55 bronze bells which you should definitely include in your must-visit places.
Yoga and Retreats
When you are on the constant move, you might feel tired and your mind and body need relaxation too. It is very important to take care of your health especially when you are in an unknown place, you can attend yoga classes in the best location of the city. There are several yoga centers in the city where you can release some stiffness from the body. Few hotels in the city also provide such facilities, you can check with hotels while arranging accommodation for yourself.
The accommodation in Canberra offers the best great varieties no matter where you want to stay, either in the middle of the city or the countryside. You can get a wide variety of options from luxury hotels, fully furnished apartments to hostels, or camping sites right next to some beautiful scenes and sceneries of the city. When you are in the center of the city, you can also get heritage sites hotels, eco-friendly options, boutiques, and much more. The best part of living in Canberra is the availability of public transports which is magnificently linked with every corner of the city. You can easily catch a bus or drive to the top-visited places of the city from your accommodation.
Travelers around the globe mostly prefer to stay in green hotels instead of regular hotels. Sustainability is very important and you should also take initiatives to help the environment stay free from pollution and harmful greenhouse gas emissions. These hotels are very much like any other regular hotels in terms of interiors and facilities, these types of hotels help you to reduce the amount of waste generation and most of the interiors of these hotels are made of recycled goods. The foods served in these hotels are organic and there will be a limited amount of water and other valuable resources to use. Here are the best green hotels in Canberra situated in beautiful locations.
- Hyatt Hotel Canberra
- Little National Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels are the perfect place to stay especially if you are a student and shifting to Canberra temporarily. The hostels are well furnished and provide the perfect environment for studying and provides all the essential facilities for that. The majority of the hostels in Canberra are situated near famous universities so that you can easily maintain your expenditure. All of the hostels have dining facilities and playgrounds so that you can get a perfect environment for study. A guesthouse is a perfect place for you to stay if you are planning to move to Canberra for job purposes. Guesthouses are cheaper as compare to the other hotels, and most of the guest houses are situated near the office area, you can even choose to live near the countryside if you want to stay close to nature and ways from the city pollution. The roads are well connected to each and every small area of the city so you can easily get a transport facility.
- Canberra City YHA
- Canberra carotel motel
- Master Rooms With Private Insuite
Renting apartments in Canberra can be a very good idea if you are planning to move to the city for a longer period of time. You can get a fully furnished apartment at your desired location with beautiful balcony views and surroundings. The apartments can be considered as a second home that is highly equipped with all the necessary kinds of stuff including a kitchen area, comfortable beds, TVs, air conditioner, dining area, hall, and balcony. Living in an apartment allows you to stay close to the locals of the city and you can even make a conversation with them to know more about the culture of the city. You can even learn the local language and you can also learn to cook the traditional dishes with their help. Altogether, the accommodation in Canberra for any number of nights will provide you an excellent accommodation experience.
- Canberra Short Term & Holiday Accommodation
- Canberra Executive Apartments
- Astra Apartments Canberra
Couch surfing is the most popular way of traveling nowadays, travelers around the globe are very fond of couch surfing as it allows them to save a lot of money which can be utilized in other ways. It is basically a community of travelers that helps other travelers when they are visiting the hometown of fellow travelers. Couch surfing helps them to stay in the houses of the travelers where they can get foods to eat and a place to sleep, however, you can stay in the homes of people for a maximum of two days, meanwhile, you can plan your rest of the trip with the help of the locals.
Canberra is the most visited place in the country due to a lot of reasons, among which camping cannot be missed. There are a lot of camping sites in the city whether you want to spend a night in free camping areas or at a well-furnished place where you can get all the essential facilities. It becomes a very important part of traveling to spend some time away from the hustle and bustle of the city and just admires the beauty of nature and its surroundings. Your travel diary is incomplete without this beautiful experience. You can take the help of the internet to find the best camping site in the city.
How to Get There
Canberra is blessed with all the modes of transportation whether you want to reach them via plane, train, or car. You can choose to travel the inner part of the city via public transport including taxi, buses, rail, and long-distance coach services for the outer areas of the city. The vast road network of the city provides various options to travelers, within the boundary or beyond the city. You can break your journey and take advantage of each and every mode of transportation.
The best and the fastest way to reach the city is via airways. You can choose to travel through planes from anywhere in the country and if you are traveling from any other country then this could be your only possible option. Canberra airport is the international airport which is situated in the districts of Majura, there are regular domestic and international flights so you can easily book your tickets online at any time of the year. The ticket prices may vary depending on the airline you choose.
The city has a very fast road network which is connected with all the small and big areas of the city, along with that you can also travel to the other cities of the country via buses. There are a number of private companies who provide facilities for a complete tour of the city, this can be a very good option especially if you are low n budget. Traveling through buses allows you to travel with the locals and by doing so you can save the environment by creating less pollution.
The city has a good railway network that connects the city from the other part of the country. Traveling via train can be the best option for the people who believe in making memories while traveling and if you are one of those people then consider traveling via train. You can observe the locals traveling along with you so that you can understand the culture of the city and you can even witness the lifestyle of the people of Canberra.
Canberra is the capital of Australia, and there are various options available in the city if you are planning to travel like this. Hitchhiking is a modern way of traveling and it can be the best option for travelers who don’t want to spend more money on paying fares. You can explore different places in the city by taking lifts from the locals of the city; you just need to find out the busiest road of the city from where you can get a lift. You can speak with the locals in English if you want to gather any information.
Apart from the above-mentioned modes of traveling, you can also consider renting a car or bike to travel to the local areas of the city. There are some hotels in the city that provides faculties like renting cars or bicycles to the customers, you can check with your respective hotels before making any bookings.
You can choose to walk and explore the local areas of the city or else there are many other ways of staying fit and moving around the city at the same time. You can opt for public transports to explore the inner part of the city.
You can visit the marled places and shopping areas of the city and these types of places require more and close attention so the best way of exploring these areas is via walking as you can even buy few things you like.
You can rent a bicycle to travel to the inner parts of the city. Bicycles are a very healthy way of traveling especially when you are in an unknown place; you need to take care of your health so that you can explore many more places. Renting bicycles in Canberra is very cheap and easily available in every corner of the city.
Electronic vehicles are the modern way of traveling and according to the reports; soon they will replace all the vehicles that run on diesel or petrol. You should fulfill your duty as a responsible traveler by choosing this kind of mode of travel. Electronic vehicles run on electricity and need to be changed from time to time. There is several charging station available at every corner of the city.
You can opt for public transports when you are planning to explore the selective places in the city. Public buses in Canberra are super cheap and they are well connected with all the popular places of the city. You can even plan your entire trip by traveling through public buses.
Tram, Train and Subway
Train facilities are available here and it is well connected with all the outer areas of the city. You can even choose to travel the cities of Australia via train and apart from that there are no subways and tram, facilities available here. There is no information available regarding the construction of any.
Canberra Shopping Centre is the biggest shopping center in the city. It has all the international and local brands and along with that, the mall has excellent bars and incredible restaurants. You can even spend some time just chilling or hanging out with your loved ones here, you can even go for a quick window shopping here as well. If you want to pick some local produce then you can consider visiting the local shopping shops of the city. These shops are filled with antiques, and you can even use your bargain skills here to get the best product at the best price.
Food markets are the best place to taste all the traditional foods of the city or it can be your one-stop destination to have tasty foods and you can buy raw foods and cook at the comfort of your house. The food market of the city also offers international cuisines, you can also learn some tips and tricks to cook the local dishes and recreate those dishes in your home town.
Flea markets are the best place for shopping if you want to grab your hand on locally produced items or if you are a big fan of collecting antique items. You can explore this flea market and if you have some bargain skills then you can even get some old fancy items at a very cheap price and add the best of the city to your antique collection. If you are interested in shopping, then you can visit the flea markets in Canberra. As already mentioned here, flea markets are some of the best places to buy unique items that too at a much cheap cost.
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand shops in the city are something that needs your attention. If you are in urgent need of something and want to buy clothes or other important accessories at an affordable price. The condition of the goods in these stores is super fine and it will help you to do as your bit as a responsible traveler.
Eco-fashion is very much in trend now and it adopted by various fashion designers across the globe. Eco-fashion means the materials used in making eco-fashion products are environmentally friendly. You can easily get this type of clothes or other accessories in Canberra.
It is very important to keep your surroundings clean and especially when you are in your favorite destination. You can reuse plastic items as much as you can so that you can protect the environment by creating less pollution. The government of Canberra is continuously making efforts to reduce the solid waste generation in the city and you should also do your bit as a responsible traveler.
You should always try to keep your favorite holiday destination as clean as ever. The amount of waste generated in the city has increased over the past few years due to the increase in the number of visitors in the city. You can try to reduce the generation of waste by opting for eco-friendly methods of traveling.
Work and Study Abroad
Working and studying in Canberra is like a dream place to live and work at the same time. The salary structure of the city is very fascinating and the cost of living is moderate, you need to go through various interview sessions to get a decent job in the city. You can even easily get nearby places to stay in the city from where you can easily reach your office. If you are someone who is willing to study in Canberra then you are also welcome. You need to check with the University of Canberra about the courses you are willing to enroll in. The4 surroundings and the atmosphere of the city is very suitable for any students here.
You can plan to study in Canberra even after you don’t have any sufficient funds to support your study expenses in the city. Exchange student programmers are for such people, you just need to check with your home university regarding the procedures and the university you are currently studying should have a link with any of the universities in Canberra. Exchange student program not just depends on the links but also the overall performance of the students.
If you are someone who doesn’t have sufficient funds to support your survival in the city then you can take the help of an au-pair to earn some money. There are various official sites that are proving best au-pair jobs, it is basically some household works which needs to be done by staying at the houses of locals and in exchange you can get some money.
You can participate as a volunteer to keep your favorite place as beautiful as ever. You can work as a teacher or cleaning staff so that you can help the city to modify and keeps getting better.