Eco-friendly travel guide to Chongqing advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Chongqing, China.
- Air quality: 1.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 5 / 5
- Parks: 5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 2.5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$7 - $150
- Budget per day: US$50 - $225
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Also locally called by the name Chungking, Chongqing is a southwestern Chinese megacity. Chongqing is under the direct administration of one of the four primary municipalities of China. With an area of 5472.8 square kilometers of area and homes more than 22 million residents, it makes it one of the largest and the most populous cities globally. Chongqing is a significant hub in China for cultural, financial, and tourism related activities. If you are traveling to this metropolitan city, then you must be very cautious and respectful in your actions. You can use the following tips and pieces of advice to travel responsibly and efficiently.
- As such a significant municipality in China, Chongqing is equipped with different transportation systems. Most tourists prefer using private transports such as rental car services, boats, private planes, etc. Instead, you should choose public transport such as buses, ferries, airlines, or electronic vehicles. These transports cause significantly less harm to the local environment and are also friendly to your pocket.
- Since the pollution rates in Chongqing are relatively high, you should prefer using items that don't contribute to the increasing pollution levels. You can opt for recyclables and reusable items to minimize your impact and lower your costs on such regular use items. Also, they prefer to follow proper disposal methods like using garbage bins, containers, and trucks.
- Being a prominent Chinese city, many international brands and businesses offer their services to locals and tourists. While visiting Chongqing, you should use the local businesses' services and products to support them and the local communities.
Apart from these tips and advice, you should be cautious about your actions and follow proper precautions while visiting and exploring Chongqing.
Air Quality and Pollution
Chongqing has a very high air pollution level because of massive industries, plants, manufacturing units, and many motor vehicles. If you suffer from any kind of respiratory illness and are sensitive to pollution, you will need to carry proper medication and protection to avoid getting sick.
- PM10 – 106
- PM2.5 – 61
- PM10 Pollution Level – Very High
- Pollution Index – 77.90
- Pollution Exp. Scale – 138.33
Respect the Culture
As a prominent Asian city, Chongqing homes Chinese communities that may have altered themselves to the modern era but are still conservative and cautious people. While visiting Chongqing, you should not participate in any activity or action that may cause disrespect or insult to the locals. You should also respect the local environment and the cultural and historical heritage of the city's beauties.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Mount Jinfo: It is the highest mountain peak of Dalou mountains located in the Yangtze River's upper height and sits in Nachan District. It is called by various names such as Golden Buddha mountain, Jinfoshan, Chin Fu Shen, and Chin fo shan by the locals nearby. It is a mountain with cliffs up to 300 meters with a flat top. The primary vegetation of this mountain consists of subtropical broadleaf forest, sub-Alpine Meadow, and conifers forest. It is known for its exceptional plant diversity. It also serves as a refuge to endangered monkey Francois Langur species with the botanical name of Trachypithecus Francoisi.
- Huayan Temple: One of the best Buddhist temples located in Juilongpo District of Chongqing. This temple is full of architecture dating back to the Ming and Qing dynasty of Ancient Chinese Culture. The temple's interior includes corridors, intricately carved doors, and roofs are of glazed tiles. The ceilings here are upturned, giving it an ancient Chinese look. Near the temple, there is a lake which makes boating possible for visitors. One can also walk around the lake and enjoy peace and freedom. Many significant festivals are also organized here, gaining a lot of tourism. Near the temple, there is a vegetarian restaurant offering the best and local delicacies at a low rate. The Huayan Temple of Chongqing has three parts first being the Reception hall, the second being Huayan Cave, and last is Sakyamuni Hall. The temple also has a collection of a lot of musical instruments used for religious activities. Therefore, if you want to enjoy some peace along with a splendid view created by mountains and trees, then you should visit here.
- Three Gorges: They are three adjacent Gorges located along the middle reaches of the River Yangtze. During the monsoon climate, these places turn into heaven with the best greenery and iconic view. The Chinese National Tourism Administration classifies it as an AAAAA scenic area because it consists of Three Gorges. Their names are - Qutang Gorge, which is about 8 km in length and ranges from Baildcheng to Daxi, Wu Gorge is 45 km in length and runs from Wushan to Guangzhou. The last one is Xiling Gorge, about 65 kilometers, and ranges from Zigui to Nanjing pass.
- Hongya Caves: It is the best place for tourists to spend some quality time exploring the local cultures. It is an attraction where you may find restaurants, souvenir shops, food stalls, and the most picturesque city. It is among the most developed in ancient China. Its structure consists of an 11 story building, with 75 meters slit house abutting a cliff. Its main highlight could be seen when dusk starts falling, and the slit house lamps and lanterns lit up and make this place beautiful to enjoy the presence. You can also see the reflection in the River Jialing like its floating in the water. You can also capture these beautiful and stunning nightscapes and save it as a part of one's memory.
- Jiefangbei Square: It is also known as Jiefangbei Shangye Buxingjie, is one of the central business district and the urbanized downtown of Chongqing, China. You can find a collection of tall skyscrapers, a large pedestrian mall with a monument tower. You will find thousands of shops, bars, restaurants, numerous large international departmental stores, local street food stalls, movie theatres, and upscale boutiques. With numerous giant mega shopping malls, you will also find advertising billboards on the city's tallest commercial skyscrapers. The square was completed in 1997. The tower present over here is about 27.5 meters and is called the People's liberation monument.
- Ealing Park: This park is located in the Yuzhong district. Ealing Park is also known as a courteous park. The tower is recently constructed, which provides a view of the entire city from its top. It is also home to some unique plant species. It was initially built in 1909 and served as home to Li Yaoting, a wealthy businessman .it is also called Goose Nape Hill or Edingling by the local authorities due to its shape, which resembles the name of a goose.
- Ghost City of Fengdu: It is about 170 kilometers away from Chongqing on the north banks of River Yangtze. It has large temples, elaborate shrines, and monasteries dedicated to the afterlife and is located on the Mingsm mountain. Fengdu ghost city has become quite popular among tourists. You will first find cruise boats to the docks for reaching up here, and then you can take vehicles to the top of the mountain.
- Ronghui Hot Springs: It is a famous and favorite tourist attraction in Chongqing. It is easy to reach spots, which is a spa/resort located in the Sapingba district. Here you will find yourself relaxed after paying affordable prices for the luxurious quality services provided by them. Sport is known for its hot spring spas. It is among the best in among 10 Hot Springs past scattered around the city. You can enjoy activities such as hot spring basking, massages, meals, snacks, aromatherapy, and herbal medicines at your service.
- Chongqing Dazu Shike Yishu Pin Lie Shi: Declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. Located in the Dazi District of Chongqing. Also known as the Dazu Rock Carvings. The carvings are dated back to the 7th century A.D., and they show Buddhist and Confucian beliefs. It is spread in an area of 0.0788 sq.mi. Moreover, it consists of over 75 protected sites that contain over 50,000 statues. The earliest carvings are as old as 650 AD and were made during the Tang dynasty. During the Cultural Revolution, these paintings and carvings remained unharmed because of isolation as there was only a mud path that connected Dazu and the carvings. It was the main reason that it could stay safe even during anti-religious vandalism. If you want to learn more about Chinese or Buddhist, this is the best place.
- Chongqing Wuling Mountain Forest Park: Also called Natural Oxygen Bar. Located in Fuling District in Chongqing City, and it is 130 km from the city. It is the best place for summer activities during the summer. The scenic area is spread over 16.33 square kilometers. The average temperature is just 9.9 degrees Celcius annually with cold summer air. About 95.2 percent of this place is covered with forest and is home to more than 20,000 flora and fauna species. It is a perfect natural scenery, including mountains, woodlands, clouds, etc. There is also a vast green grass prairie appropriate for camping, playing, meditating, and enjoying nature.
Chongqing is a unique city that lies at the confluence of the Yangtze and Jialing Rivers in China's Southwest region – one of the three Municipalities in China and also the most visited cities by international tourists. This particular municipality has a wealth of attraction points and landmarks to visit. While exploring the city, you will see the places with a rich history of Chinese and Buddhist culture and tradition.
- Bijin Park: Bijin Park – famously known as Green Lakeshore Park – located in the Yubei District of Chongqing, is an urban park and one of the largest parks in the Lianglu region of Yubei, Chongqing. The park contains an artificial lake of about 4.3 hectares. People can enjoy rowing boats; it is also a significant base to present Chongqing's traditional folk culture - the Ba-Yu culture. You might even get a chance to see the memorial of Wang Pu, a communist educator killed by KMT in Chongqing in 1949.
- Chongqing Central Park: Chongqing Central Park is one of China's largest open public parks whose primary purpose was to provide Chongqing people a big open park. Like other Central Parks of various famous cities globally, it gives a place to play outdoor recreational sports and enjoy nature. This central park is a rectangular-shaped park that covers a territory of about 1.53 square kilometers. Visitors can come and enjoy the serene beauty of this central park at any time of the year.
- Nanbin Park: Nanbin Park – also known as Chongqing Riverside Park, is made up of six continuous parks distributed along the Nanbin Road and Yangtze River and is a central belt-shaped urban park in Nan’an District of Chongqing. The six parks mentioned earlier represents a unique landscape or urban legend – each of which is one of either old and new Twelve Views of Chongqing, which has become a tourist attraction for years.
- Single Tree Vista: Single Tree Vista – a popular overlook park and tower located in the Nan’an District of Chongqing in Southwest China, is also known as Yikeshu Vista or Yikeshu Overlook. This park is quite famous among Chongqing's public. It is known as one of the best destinations to see a panorama view of central Chongqing's urban area, especially the skyline of Jialing River, Yuzhong District, Yangtze River, and a night view of the city.
- Liangjiang Xingfu Guangchang: This park claims to have the largest musical fountain in West China, 60 meters tall, with Zhaomu Shan as a backdrop, skyscrapers on all sides flank this naturally sprawling park. This park is best suited to have family get-togethers and picnics; there are also many dining options available, ranging from posh restaurants to laid-back Dicos in the pipeline. It is rated as one of the best urban parks in the city.
- Geleshan National Forest Park: Also known as Gele Mountain National Forest Park, this forest park is generally nationally protected in China – located in Geleshan, Shapingba District, which is 16 km west of Chongqing city center. This national park has a wide variety of natural features that include streams, prairie meadows, waterfalls, and caves. This place, Geleshan, is poetically referred to as the "Emerald Fortress" due to its mountainous landscapes and lush green forests and vegetation, which consists mostly of pine and cypress.
- Hongchiba National Park: Hongchiba National Park covers about 253.8 square kilometers of six distinctive functional districts, almost all of which are virgin areas, with some places to accommodate tourism and services. It is located in the northwest of Wuxi; this huge park contributes water sources to four main trunk streams flowing into the Yangtze River. This park boasts the most abundant alpine pasture in South China. During the peak period, the villagers living there farms nearly 10,000 heads of cattle, horses, and sheep as they live purely on animal husbandry.
- Yinglok Lake National Wetland Park: Yinglok Lake National Wetland Park – located in Nan’an District, Chongqing, is a central suburban wetland park, protected area, and an educational base in Chongqing of 90 kilometers. The lake and protected wetland are strictly protected because they are the back-up source for water in the city. This park is open to the public with the primary purpose to give people opportunities to view the scenic wetland and see various species of floras and faunas, and to educate people about wetlands and water sources.
- Furong Cave: Furong Cave comes under the most visited national geological parks in China. This place has a massive body with rich cave sediments that conquered the world cave experts and welcomed many visitors. It consists of more than 70 secondary chemical residues to make a rich landscape, majestically and exquisitely carved. From this point, visitors can also enjoy a wonderful tour where you can see Golden Halls, Fang's crystal flower, Leifeng pagoda, the animal kingdom, and many more.
- Chongqing Jinyunshan National Reserve: Chongqing Jinyunshan National Reserve – a gateway for over 32 million people to observe abundant wildlife; visitors can also enjoy hiking mountain peaks and reflect in dense tropical forests of Jinyunshan National Reserve. This national reserve acts as a wildlife service to conserve, enhance, and protect wildlife, marine creatures, plants, and their habitats for the local people's continuing benefit. This park is a vast protected area whose main aim is to protect these species by all means and technologies.
- Tonggu Beach: Tonggu Beach is located on the Zaodu River near Wansheng District, Chongqing. Along with the best view of the ocean, Tonggu beach offers you many facilities to stay and eat while wandering around the coast. There are many hotels, restaurants, cafés, bars with the lowest price guarantee. As this is the only beach in Chongqing, you will locate every vital landmark and tourist attractions from nearby the location. So, if you're here to explore many such attraction points in less time, then staying near Tonggu Beach is highly recommended.
- Dazu Rock Carvings: Famous worldwide as Rock Carving Home, is 160 kilometers to the west of Chongqing, located in the west suburb of Chongqing City. You will see over 60,000 carved stone figures relating mainly to Buddhism that are spread around 76 places. Dazu's art represents an essential chapter in China's cultural and religious history, which emerged in the late Tang Dynasty (618-907) and flourished in the Song Dynasty (960-1127). It has contributed to China's artistic expression that reflects the moral and rationalistic call while encouraging people to do good and be kind to others.
- Qutang Gorge: Being one of the Three Gorges' shortest, it is spread over eight kilometers and is considered the most dramatic by many visitors. People come here to see the river here that navigates through the Gorge's sheer-steep cliffs where the Meng Liang staircase from the Song Dynasty can be seen. Many of the most famous and historically significant sites in the Qutang Gorge are located closer to the water level, effectively covering many of the most impressive and notable Gorge sites that attract many visitors towards this part of the Gorge.
- Ancient Town of Ciqikou: An old town remarkably preserved in sprawling modern Chongqing, is a timeless ancient town built in the Ming and Qing Dynasties. This place has a history of more than 1,800 years, which aspires and bring people to know and learn about the great dynasties the world has ever seen; it consists of twelve main streets, among which the Tea House plays a vital role in the local culture. Several shops sell porcelain, handicrafts, gifts, and even local restaurants that can be spotted. You might also see a 1,500 years old Buddhist temple straddling the mountain in the middle of the old town.
- Chongqing People Square: An architectural symbol of Chongqing, is combined with Chongqing People Hall – housing five magnificent squares: the People Square in front of the People Hall, the Green Art Square, the Liberation Monument Shopping Square, Chaotianmen Square, and the Jialing Square. Chongqing public treats these squares as the best platform for communication with all the tourists worldwide and calls these 'the Parlours of Chongqing.'
- Liberation Stele: It is not only the symbol of civilization but also the evidence for the history of a half-century, standing in the most prosperous downtown of Chongqing. The Liberation Monument is a 27.5-meter-high structure on the square built-in memory of the victory in the war of resistance. Isolated by broad, glassy offices and paved pedestrians, this spot is marked as Chongqing's commercial heart with more than 3,000 stores and shops of various kinds, dozens of shopping malls, hotels, and stock markets.
- Huangjueping Graffiti Street: Huangjueping Graffiti Street is a must-visit place in Chongqing. It is considered the largest graffiti art globally, starting from Huangjueping Railway Hospital and ending at 501 Art Gallery, with a total length of 1.25 kilometers and about 50,000 square meters launched by Luo Zhongli, president of Sichuan Fine Art Institute. This whole 'graffiti' project was finished by more than 800 painters, artists, and students using tons of paints and brushes. This street has changed the old quarter of Chongqing's appearance and creates an excellent eco-friendly environment for its cultural creativity. People are attracted to this place because it was recently reported in the Guinness Book of World Records as the youngest graffiti street globally
- Stillwell Museum: Stillwell Museum is the former residence of General Joseph Warren Stillwell, after whom the museum's name comes. It was founded in 1991 at Yuzhong District, Chongqing. While walking into the museum, you will see all kinds of tools and technologies used at that time. The furnishings and architecture of this museum are intact like before. You'll see the guard's room, conference room used for military discussions, various military documents, and many more.
- Chongqing Yangtze River Stone Culture and Art Museum: This museum showcases a single piece of stone of the Yangtze River, which embodies its abundant culture – situated in Yudong Subdistrict, Banan District. It features the interpretation combined with poetry and paintings that are also available to visitors when they look at the rare stones; they can also see the 'Three Rare Stones for Trilogy of Love and Marriage.' It is a 400-square-meter exhibition hall containing more than 2,000 quality stones of the Yangtze River, of which 120 are awarded at International and National stone Fairs.
- Chongqing Police Museum: Chongqing Police Museum is based on combining chronicles with themes. It is considered the first industry-themed museum in Chongqing, covering a total area of 4,176 square meters, with an exhibition area of 3,000 square meters. You can see a collection of artifacts of more than 3,000 relics. It has a set of lobbies and 12 exhibition halls for the history of public security, national security, a criminal investigation, prisons, fire control, and many more – that provide visitors a vast knowledge of police force inside out.
- Dayuanxiang Museum: Based on the original five workshops, the museum covers vast categories of Buddhist statues, furnished wood carving works, and architectural wood carving works. Varieties of exquisite collections characterize each workshop. It is located in the Jianlong Town, Bishan District, and is one of Chongqing's essential landmarks. There is not much to see in this museum, but it is worth exploring if you are in Chongqing.
- Baolin Museum: Baolin Museum occupies over 8,000 square meters with 6,880 collections, including the bronze spear with the paisley pattern of the Eastern Han Dynasty and Tubo-language Buddhist sutra of the Tang Dynasty – all come from the Curator Chen Baolin’s family. Ten permanent exhibitions halls are displayed for the public consisting of dozens of stone carvings, ancient fossils, bronzes, calligraphy and paintings, old rare books, and many more.
- Chongqing Museum of Famous Historical Figures: Chongqing Museum of Famous Historical Figures displays various artistic expression methods including oil paintings, sculptures, print, television, and multimedia film – it is the showcase of 200 local or immigrant eminent persons in history. Visitors are offered a vivid understanding of these figures' life stories and Chongqing's historical and vicissitudes changes over the past 3,000 years. You will be able to learn and explore the lifestyles and conditions of the ancient history of Chongqing.
Chongqing is a blooming megacity known for its boiling temperatures and its famously spicy cuisine – situated along the Yangtze River in China's Southwestern region. This city has a wide variety of local traditional and vegetarian restaurants and several coffee shops and street food stalls – ranging from cheaply priced to exclusively expensive, you may find every type of restaurant here. Some restaurants of the top spots are shortlisted below:
Traditional Local Restaurants
- Wai Po Qiao: Wai Po Qiao can be found at Xinjiyuan Shopping Square. This restaurant is the best option to grab a bite of traditional Chongqing cuisine. Wai Po Qiao means ‘Grandma’s Bridge’ and is well-known for its spicy dishes. The restaurant provides many customers, such as diners, to select their ingredients, including various vegetables and meat, from the convenient buffet. You may find the restaurant affordable and is an excellent option for spicy food lovers.
- Cai Xiang Yuan (Yangjiaping Branch): Cai Xiang Yuan is famously known for its dishes that are cooked with local flavors and ingredients. This restaurant is found at Jiulongpo District, a prime destination for Chongqing’s public to hang out and wander around. It is mostly in the diners' eyes as it has accommodation for over 320 dinners with 20 personal boxes. This restaurant is famous for its refined dishes with a spicy taste or a soft flavor to meet all its needs. You can come here any day between 9 am to 11 pm.
- Tanyingxiong Hotspot Restaurant: Tanyingxiong Hotspot Restaurant is famous for its dishes prepared with fish only. It uses the head of silver carp found in freshwater lakes as a material because it is fat and tender. Simultaneously, it's rich in unsaturated fatty acid, which the human body can't synthesize by itself, amino acid, and some microelements that can strengthen human memory. Due to its specialty, this restaurant is very much popular among the fitness freaks of Chongqing.
- Little Swan Zhigang Restaurant: Little Swan Zhigang Restaurant at Zhiguang Avenue is a first-class hotspot restaurant with a good, pleasant, and eco-friendly environment, especially the room with the scenery. From here, customers can see clusters of light and the Yangtze River bank, hence the right place for enjoying the view and tasty food. You may also experience Chongqing’s most authentic Sichuanese dishes served in this restaurant; its specialty is water-boiled fish slices with spices made with natural ingredients that create an explosion of flavor, attracting many customers.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- Qian Yue Ming: You can find this restaurant in Jiangbei District, which offers only a set meal and has a large space for customers along with a friendly and quiet atmosphere. The staff here is amiable, and some speak English also for the better convenience of customers. It is one of Chongqing's best vegetarian restaurants, serving the best Chinese cuisine and a great ambiance and atmosphere. The food here is moderately priced, making it an excellent choice to pull through and have the best of its delicacies.
- Return to Life – Guilai Sushi Shenghuo Guan: This restaurant is located in Nanbin Road, Chongqing. It offers a wide variety of vegan hotspots with a selection of tofu along with mixed vegetables. You can come here any day between 10 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to 9 pm. Customers rated this restaurant as one of the best in the city; you can enjoy the best hotspot here in a beautiful décor interior. The staff here is also very friendly with the customers, helping them choose the menu's best ones.
- Chanyue Xinyu Vegetarian House: Chanyue Xinyu Vegetarian House is a vegan-friendly restaurant that serves regional Chinese cuisine. You can find this restaurant in Jiangbei District, and is open to customers every day between 10:30 am to 9:30 pm. Locals prefer to come here more often as they provide free Wi-Fi service with outdoor seating hence making it an excellent place to relax and enjoy your favorite light meal. You might find this restaurant a bit expensive, but the food here is worth trying plus you also get a fantastic view of the city life.
- Hua Yan Vegetarian Restaurant: Located in the Jiulongpo District, Chongqing – this Chinese restaurant is among the best rated vegetarian restaurants in the city. This restaurant has a quiet and peaceful atmosphere; they also believe in surrounding the environment with eco-friendly things to contribute to society's wellness. Along with the serene environment, you will be served the best quality food and excellent staff services.
- Pu Ti Su – Bodhi Vegetarian – Jingliguan: This vegan-friendly restaurant is highly recommended by most of Chongqing’s public that serves the best Chinese cuisine in the locality. Some best-served dishes in this Bodhi Vegetarian restaurant branch are lumpiang hubad, Kare Kare, BBQ, and many more. Customers here are fully satisfied with its services and foods, and it is quite popular in the locality as the dishes here are moderately priced with good quality of food.
- Tang Yuan (Sweet Rice Balls)
- Zha Cai (Pickled Cabbage Head)
- Gong Bao Dou Fu (Kung Pao Tofu)
- Liangban Mu'er (Wood Ear Fungus Skewer)
- Xiaomian (Breakfast Noodles)
- Liangfen (Cold Mung Bean Noodles)
- Suan Cai Yu (Fish Stew with Pickled Greens)
- Hong Yo Chao Sou (Pork Dumplings in Spicy Sauce)
- La Zi Ji (Dry Fried Chicken)
- Sorghum Spirit
- Pu Erh
- Sheng Pu Erh
- Maotai Baijiu
- Shou Pu Erh
Tap water in this city is not fit for drinking because of the water pollution this city faces. Chongqing has an ample supply of water because it has three rivers that pass across the city. Not only rivers are the only supplier of this city but also the rainwater. This city faces around 1200 millimeters of rain annually. However, these sources supply only tap water, but there is still a shortage of drinking water in Chongqing. So it would be best if you keep in mind that you do not waste drinking tap water anyway. You must always use a standard type of bottled water. In a recent controversy, it was found that the standards of bottled water are also deficient because the purification method and the machines are not meeting this satisfaction level. Bottled water passed only 20 quality tests out of 106. So you must choose the appropriate bottled water which has an original standard mark. The water pollution statistics are 65.80/ 100, which is high. So it is advised that you must use boiled water instead of tap water or bottled water and consume it while moving around.
This city has many cafes present all around as Chinese people are becoming health conscious. Some people love to eat fresh and chemical-free food, and the pollution of this city is very high, so no one wants to eat those polished, chemically enriched food ingredients. The café owners own a farm where every required food item is grown and used to make dishes.
- Chongqing Shenfuzali Restaurant
- Flowering Cafe
- Qian Yue Ming
- Change X inyu Vegetarian House
- Hua Yan Vegetarian Restaurant
The place where beers are produced for locals or commercial purposes is known as a brewery or a beerhouse. This city has been installed with many multinational beer companies that work for locals and are commercially established. Chongqing has a population of more than three crores; therefore, it is very profitable for brewing companies.
- South African Breweries
- Mountain City Beer
- Container Beer Shop
- Xuewei Beer
Activities of this city involve many natural and humanmade places and things to visit. This place is filled with such activities for nature lovers and sports enthusiasts. These activities will fill your soul with joy and fun.
- Balloon Tour: You can take a hot air balloon tour in the city. A hot air balloon is an aircraft that has a bag called an envelope and contains heated air attached with a basket in which there is a source of heat and stands for the passenger. The balloon is usually colorful. The area from which you get this ride provides a scenic view from above. The air balloon can carry only two persons at a time, and it ranges between 1600 to 3000 cubic meters. As you go up, you will find this place's beauty, consisting of limestone caves and natural lakes.
- Visit a Museum: This city is famous for the museum and has the most extensive museum called the Three Gorges Museum. It is one of the largest museums in the country opened in 2005, replacing the old museum. It is built near the people's hall. This museum was created to provide education, scientific research, and cultural heritage and natural environment preservation. This museum is a dome-shaped museum withered stone made up of glass. This museum's total area is 42 497 meter square, out of which an exhibition hall covers 23225 meters square air with four displays; Magnificent Three Gorges, Ancient Ba-Yu, Chingquing: the city road and the Anti-Japanese War. Other than these displays, paintings, sculptures, custom coins, and cultural objects are present for the exhibition.
- Visit the Ghost City: It is a prominent place that has temples monasteries which depict the afterlife in Fengdu County, Chongqing. This city has structures, buildings, statues, and a 3D miniature model related to Chinese mythology and Buddhism, which creates an image of hell or underworld. You can reach this city through a cruise as this city is situated at the Yangtze River’s north bank, till the dog and later by vehicles. The name all the city was based on combining two people who came to this mountain to practice Taoism and were later became immortals. The combination of this name means king of hell from which this site gained the focus. Many artistic paintings show people being tortured in hell for their sins.
- Get a ride of Giant Wheel: It is a 120 giant Ferris wheel located at the amusement park. The construction of this wheel was completed in 2003, and this is the tallest Ferris wheel in China. There are a total of four Ferris wheels in China. It is one of the city's main tourist attractions due to which it is being mentioned in the official site of Chongqing. Due to its height, you can see the beautiful scenery of the entire city and enjoy the night sky with a clear vision.
- Listen to Live Opera: Opera is a kind of theatre with music as its leading role, but it is different from musical theatre. It originated in Italy at the beginning of the 17th century. It has an essential part in western classical music tradition where some of them include Opera as dialogues. The literal meaning of Opera is a small book. Some experts of Opera have written the known lyrics, and others have worked in close collaboration with their lyricists. The Chongqing Grand Theatre is the place where you can listen to Opera. It is a 6-floor building constructed from 2005 till 2009; its area is 64 meters with concert halls. Other than the concert hall, it has a horseshoe-shaped coliseum and can accompany 1826 people at a time built with an intention for a large scale of Opera, ballet, and other performances. The third part is the theatre, a 2-floor hall, and can carry 938 people at a time.
- Take a Natural Hot spring: A hot spring resort type of spring which producers heated groundwater, which is heated geothermally. It has different types like some of these hot spring with so much temperature that it can burn the skin, whereas some hot springs have a safe bathing temperature. The heat due to which the water gets hot maybe because of various reasons like the decay of naturally radioactive elements as most of the heat that escapes The earth originates due to decaying radioactive elements. Some believe that the heat is from the earth's mantle. The other reason might be that the heat is due to the magma, which flows out from a volcano. There are many places where you can find hot springs in Chongqing. Hot springs can be used to treat skin irritation and infection such as rashes or eczema because of the high amount of sulfur present in skin infections. It can also cure dry scalp or bones related problems like arthritis, pain, and many more.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga involves spiritual, mental, and physical wellbeing. It disciplines your body and calms your mind, due to which stress is released from your body. There are different types of yoga in Hinduism, Jainism, and Buddhism. You can find many kinds of Buddhism yoga here and its benefits.
- Xuiman Dupi Wu Yoga Chamber
- Surmount Fitness
- H.P. Fitness Club
- Xing Shon Yoga Center
Chongqing is a huge city in China, and here you can find many types of accommodations. You have to choose your option according to your budget and comfort. Some of the hotels or resort offers high luxury lifestyle whereas some offer classic and straightforward lifestyle at a low cost. Where ever you stay, you must not, and you should not spread pollution of any kind. Therefore many green hotels are mentioned which will give you proper comfort without harming nature.
- Green Vogue Hotel
- Radisson Blue Plaza
- Ascot Rafles City
- J.W. Marriot
- Chongquing CC Home Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
- Sunrise Ming-Qing Hostel
- Heguing Yunju Hostel
- Stay International Hostel
- Chongqing Northern Hostel
- Gravity Falls Hostel
- Chongqing Ouranjian Lake View Guesthouse
- Together Hostel Chongqing
- Hi Youth Hostel
- Only Cafe Guest House
- Somerset Hostel
- ART Riverview Apartments
- Ascott Raffles City
- Himalaya Service Residencies
- Chongqing Inner Apartments
- Crush on the River View Apartments
Couchsurfing is possible in such a big city, but you must be aware of the minimal crime that often happens like robbery and more in Chongqing.
How to Get There
There are many ways to get here. But the only direct route is by the airways. Others are the indirect way you have to be present in China to use indirect methods that are cheaper.
There is an International airport in Chongqing named Chongqing Giangbei International Airport. This Airport is in the Yubei District, Chongqing, and it is about 19 km towards the north of the center of the city. It is the best Airport with 25 to 40 million passenger size. It is awarded by Airports Council International for two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018. Its elevation is 416 meters. According to bowling stats of 2019, this Airport was visited by 44,786,722 people annually. In 1990 this Airport was opened in replacement of the old Baishiyi Airport. Currently, this Airport is aiming to be the largest in western China till 2030. This Airport not only has air connections with the countries of Asia but also with major countries of Europe so you can visit this city through the air quickly and most of the time directly. This Airport has its car parking facility which is free of cost. You can get various intercity buses, cabs or trains to reach your hotel.
There are four bus terminals in this city with six long route buses that connect the city to other different districts. There is an international bus system available, so you have to be present in China to reach this city by bus. The bus stations are highly modified with automatic with live GPS tracking displayed on a large screen in the buses. There are three ways to pay the bus fare; cash, transportation card, or mobile app. For the money, some of the buses have point walks in which you have to insert the coin for the distance you want to travel by bus, so it is advised that you must insert the exact coin. Another method is a smart card, which needs a top-up to use. You have to swipe the card in exchange for a paper ticket, and the amount will be automatically deducted from your card with the rest of the balance available in your card written. The last method is an online payment; you must have internet access on your smartphone for this payment. There is a Q.R. sticker on the bus which is needed to be scanned by your smartphone through a specialized payment application, and you have to enter the amount showing on the display board.
There are two train stations in Chongqing; Chongqing Railway Station and Chongqing West Railway Station. Chongqing railways station is the most famous railway station and has four railway lines; Chengyu Railway, Chuanqian railway, Chengyu passenger railway, and Xiangyu Railways. This railway station is located at the center of the capital of Chongqing. This railway station was opened in 1952 and had four platforms. The second railway station is the second-largest railway station in southwestern China and was opened in 2018. This railway station is operated by China Railway Corporation and Chengdu Railway Bureau and is a hub of many superfast trains built with modern Chinese technology. It has three railway lines named Chuanqian Railway, Chengyu Railway, and Xiangyu Railway with a waiting hall, ticket counter, and a station hall. It can hold about 15,000 passengers and has a total area of 1,20,000 square meters, with three out of six floors underground. The metro ticket office is below the ground floor. The main floor is on the ground floor as it has platform areas, ticket offices, and trains. The above two are waiting-halls, and the two lower floors are under construction.
Hitchhiking is possible in China, but not many people know it has its different sign for asking for a ride in China. The other problem with hitchhiking is that many locals do not know English, so it will be difficult for you to communicate with them unless you have a translator with you. Highways are the best place to hitchhike, or a toll booth would be another good option because the employees working there are amicable and helpful, and usually, the cars stop for your help. It would be best if you hitchhiked at a decent place so that people don't hesitate to help you. You might get lucky if a regular Chinese patrolling police see you asking for help. They will help you after getting your verification at highways. Also, this city's crime rate is shallow, but hitchhikers report some cases of robbery.
There are two different means of transport to reach this city. Those include private access and ferry ride. A ferry ride or a Cruise ride is a very time-consuming trip with around 40 hours by cruise and about 7 to 8 hours by speed boats, which might cost you a little higher. Another way is by hiring a taxi to travel outside the city. You can find many private taxis outside the Airport offering rides with various discounts. Some of the essential things to be noted are that; if the drivers don't know or speak English, then you must have a translating tool or a business card of the hotel you want to go to or the place where you want to visit to be written on a paper in Chinese or Mandarin.
Moving around in such a big city is sometimes very confusing. So you must use a GPS map and a translation tool with you because most of the people here do not know how to speak English. Other than this, you must always carry a business card of the hotel or place you are staying. The business card should be written in Chinese.
This city is spread over 82,300 kilometers square, so you will get exhausted if you opt to walk around the city. Instead, you can have a walk for health purposes. Chongqing is a very safe city to walk around as the crime rates are meager, but you must be cautious of pickpockets present in crowded streets and areas. If you are traveling alone, you must have a GPS map with you to avoid getting lost. There are different trails and beautiful parks for walking, giving you mental peace and a refreshing environment.
This city is not the best place to cycle around, but you can still ride a bike by renting it or purchasing a foldable one. You will be charged a minimal amount, but no particular roads or pathways are built for cycling. There are steep slides in some areas, where you must be very cautious while cycling as there is a lot of traffic in this city. Not only cycles, but its gears are also available for rent. Cycling has various health benefits as well as helps to reduce pollution.
Using electric vehicles is now becoming a trend and soon is going to replace engine cars and vehicles. There are electric vehicles in this city that can be used for traveling. You can hire an electric taxi to move around the city if you want to travel the whole town in a short time. The town's pollution rate is high, so it is your duty not to increase air pollution and lower it by using electric vehicles to avoid harming the environment and nature.
The bus network of this city is a widespread one with 511 bus lines operating in the town. An ordinary bus's ticket fare is 1 Chinese Yen, whereas an air-conditioned bus is 2 Chinese Yen, dependent on the distance. If you are staying in the city for a long time, then it is advised that you must purchase a local transportation card which will offer you various discounts and even cost you nothing for a ride. The only problem many tourists face is the language barrier because everything is written in Chinese, and even the bus drivers usually don't speak English.
Tram, Train and Subway
There is a CRT in Chongqing and is the most convenient way of moving around the city, but it is very time-consuming. There is an automatic ticket vending machine for CRT, which can be operated in English as well, so many tourists find it convenient to move around the city by trains or monorails. Even the station stops are announced in English, so you won't get confused and get to the right station. Chongqing has a rail system that covers around 45 miles. The number of stations CRT has is 189, with eight monorail lines connecting across these stations. The metro network is the fastest means of transport in this city. At present, there are four metro lines. According to the government, they will construct 18 other subway lines, covering a total length of day 20 kilometers by 2050. Line 1 connects East to West with a distance of 39 kilometers connecting 23 stations. Line 5, the metro line, runs from the Northeast to the southeast with 17 kilometers connecting nine stations. Line 6 runs from South West to North West with a length of 5.6 kilometers and 28 stations. Line 10 which connects Liyuchi and Wangjuazguang with a distance of 34 kilometers and 18 stations.
Sustainable Shopping is a concept that promotes the use of organic and locally sourced ingredients to support a healthy lifestyle and the local communities. In the modern era, people realize the need for sustainable living, and they are changing their diets to vegan or vegetarian ones, but that alone is just sustainable eating. If you want to live sustainably, you should start opting for products from local sources like food markets, second-hand stores, flea markets, and eco-fashion stores.
Chongqing's food markets are the best places to get fresh and quality products from farmers, fishers, gardeners, and bakers. Locals run these markets, and by buying the products, you will learn about the local culture while supporting them.
- Changhui Oil And Grain Non-Staple Food
- Lanlan Food and Oil Wholesale Department
- Denglaowu Non-staple Food Wholesale Department
Flea markets are great places to lighten the burden of your budget by using second-hand or recycled items. These places operate either regularly or on specific days of a week or month.
- Shiqiaopu Night Market
- Huangjueping Night Market
- Zhongxing Road Flea Market
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand stores are the best places to find all types of second-hand items like computers, utensils, clothes, furniture, shoes, accessories, etc. You can get things at low but reasonable prices.
- Zhongxing Road Second-hand Goods Transaction Market
- Integrity Second-hand Electrical Appliance
- Yuqing Second-hand Electrical Appliance Exchange Center
- Yangjiaping Second-Hand Electrical Appliances Tiaoji Market
Many fashion boutiques and stores in Chongqing have converted their practices to eco-friendly ones and are using organic and locally sourced items. You can find some exotic and traditional clothes in these places.
- SND Fashion Store
- VERO MODA
With the increasing pollution levels, recycling is very high as it will help reduce the total waste to half the quantity. You will find that the local government and some private organizations have set up some units where the locals and the tourists in Chongqing can get their garbage recycled at either low charges or free of cost.
The waste management in Chongqing is not the best in the country but can generate awareness amongst the locals to properly dispose of their garbage. You will find that every household unit and building complex is equipped with either a standard garbage dumpster or individual garbage bins that they can use to put their daily household waste.
Work and Study Abroad
Chongqing homes many international educational institutes and companies that offer opportunities for both residents and foreign persons. While visiting the city, you can call such institutes or companies to enquire about yourself. You will find that the career and educational opportunities are some of the best in China and help you develop your personality.
Chongqing University is the one that hosts the student exchange program. There are various colleges and educational institutes that come under this university. You can directly enquire about the different courses available to international students. You can also apply for the international student exchange program, but that may take a longer time than the straightforward procedure.
Au pairing is common in Chongqing. You will find that the city homes families with au pairs and some individuals or couples au pairing foreign families. You can also apply for au pairing by registering on the website and meeting the program's requisites. In this concept, you will help out a family that cannot meet its daily needs. You can provide them with monetary, emotional, or even physical support to help them build a better life.
In such a big metropolitan city, it is no doubt that there are specific issues that the locals face, such as the increasing pollution, poverty, humanitarian rights, animal and environment protection, etc. Many public and private organizations focus on resolving such issues by creating awareness amongst the people and getting their support in their activities.
- Yuzhou Yi Community Volunteer Association
- Sunny 520 Aixin Volunteer Association
- Huaxin Community Party Member Volunteer Service Team
As a tourist, it is your responsibility to give back to society for their hospitality and services. You can participate in such volunteering activities and even help them get a better understanding of such issues.