Eco-friendly travel guide to Costa Blanca advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Costa Blanca, Spain.
- Air quality: 4.1/ 5
- Bus connections: 4.4/ 5
- Train connections:3.6 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3.3 / 5
- National parks: 4.2 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4.4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.6/ 5
- Safety: 3.8/ 5
- Accommodation: US$74 - $195
- Budget per day: US$120- $270
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Costa Blanca is one of the famous Spain premier holiday coasts attracting both domestic and foreign visitors. The coastline stretches over 200 kilometers. It is a relaxed, friendly, and popular destination for tourists. The great weather, atmosphere, and beaches are the main attractions to the area. The city holds over 300000 residents. This makes it the second-most populous region in the Comunidad Valenciana city, with Valencia being the largest. There is an incredible range of activities available, including golf courses, beaches, parks, and museums. The city residents are very accommodating and super friendly, creating an excellent environment for visitors to come. The place is bustling during the summer, where you can experience the legendary nightlife. Ecofriendly ways to interact with the city include walking, cycling, and using public means. You can also promote local shops by buying from them and putting disposal material in designated areas.
Air Quality and Pollution
A large part of Spain is wreathed in air containing high levels of nitrogen dioxide. These pollution paradoxes are affecting the health of the residents in this city, according to (World Health Organization) WHO. According to Aqicn, the AQI of Costa Blanca is 77, which is unhealthy for sensitive groups. The government has placed strict measures to curb this danger by laying a plan to reduce the total amount of greenhouse gas emissions.
Respect the Culture
Many other different cultures influence the culture of the people of costa Blanca. The primary influencer was the Romans. The people here are amicable and easy to interact with. They are also very ready to share their cultural believes and practices with visitors. Costa Blanca hosts several cultural events and religious festivals. Being Christone celebration is done during Easter and one in the period of august where everybody is expected to join. During these periods there are lots of food and entertainment. To better understand the city's history and culture, you can visit museums and archeological sites to get e visual of its origin.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Costa Blanca has many exciting spots to visit, including parks, beaches, national reserves, and museums. Being on the coastline, the city has great beaches, parks, restaurants, hotels, and resorts. Some of the popular attraction sites include;
- Guadalest: While in costa Blanca Guadalest is one of the top choice towns to visit. It is labeled one of the most beautiful cities in Spain. Visit its museums, walk through the streets, and also Guadalest castle.
- L'Albir: If you need to relax during your stay in Costa Blanca, this small town is a top choice destination. The town is pleasant and quiet, allowing you to connect with yourself and nature. It has excellent beaches and coves where you can explore more. The Sunday street market is also great to explore and see what the residents got to offer.
- Villajoyosa: This is a historic town to visit during your holidays in Costa Blanca. You will have a chance to visit Los Pescadores' district and see its colorful and unique houses. For chocolate lovers, you can also visit the valor chocolate museum. Another must-visit destination is the Roman ruins, Allon, which is the most crucial discovery of Spain's last decade.
- Altea: This is a famous town among visitors during their holidays in Costa Blanca. Here you can visit the town's church. It is situated on the top of a large hill where you will enjoy a fantastic view.
- Denia: Denia is home to many historical sites, beaches, magnificent eateries, and spectacular scenery. The place is a top choice for many visitors. Red prawns are also another great attraction to this part of the region. Make sure you order this dish when in the city.
- Torrevieja: Torrevieja is a municipality with some ancient churches dating from the 18th century. These churches include the church of Nuestra Senora del Rosario and Arciprestal de la Inmaculada Concepcion. While there you could also visit its beaches and coves.
- Algar waterfalls: This is one of the hot spots in costa Blanca with unspoiled natural beauty. The place is just ales than 10 kilometers from Albir and located in an inland town called Callosa d'en Sarria. During summers, you can escape from the heat and come swim in this place. It's very cool a great way to recharge your batteries while on holiday.
- The city of Valencia: This is one place you can't miss during your holidays in Costa Blanca. The city is in less than an hour's drive from the town of costa Blanca. You can use either a car hire or public means to get to the destination. The many attractions include a massive aquarium,3d cinema, museum, and opera house.
- Castillo de Santa Barbara: The historic site was constructed in the 9th century. You can explore the archeological remains of the bronze age in the city. You will climb 166 meters above sea level and view Alicante bay from there.
- Playa de Levante: This is a sandy beach offering safe sunbathing for swimmers. The place ideal for both adults and children at any level of skillset. The place is a bit crowded during summers when locals and tourists refresh in the clean blue waters. There are also plenty of facilities, including food stalls and drink cafes. It is advised to swim only where the locals swim due to the dangers of the ocean.
Costa Blanca is a city rich in luxurious sites to visit and have fun. There is a wide range of beaches, museums, archeological sites, parks and many other places you can spend your weekends and holidays.
- Torre Golf Park: The park is located in the city of Costa Blanca. The park has a lot of shade and good swings. it is an excellent place to relax or meet with friends. The place is also ideal for families and children.
- Historiador Vicente Ramos Park: The park has a very calm surrounding with a place to sit and relax. There are also a few bars where you can grab something to quench your thirst. The park's cleanings are very inviting but could improve if the townhall improved its maintenance and cleaning. It's an ideal place to hang around with friends and family.
- Avinguda Goleta Park: The park is located close to a beach and also accessible through public transport. The atmosphere here is amiable and calm. A park is also a perfect place for skating, walking, or even cycling.
- Mirian Blasco Park: A park is ideal for kids to play while adults relax on the benches enjoying the cool air. The site has no guard, so make sure you take care of your property.
- Parc Natural del Montgó: This park is located in a stunning location and covers a total of 2,117 hectares. It features a vast variety of Mediterranean plants and wildlife. There is a massive mountain that many strive to climb to the top; go on and have a try. While visiting here, carry with yourself some water.
- Penal d'Ifac: The park has a rock that offers panoramic ocean views from afar. You can also view wildlife and many other plant species. While going here, wear good shoes and also don't come along with small children, it's not safe for them. The place offers a fantastic experience and breathtaking views.
- Cape San Antonio, Spain: The park is a marine reserve that offers hiking, diving, and other water sports. It is a great place to walk and enjoy the clean, fresh air and incredible views. While visiting here, carry some water with you also wear some hiking shoes.
- La Mata Beach: La Mata beach offers a large playground, spacious shoreline, and a wide variety of bars and eateries. The beach is stunning and less crowded, giving swimmers a wide range of distances to exercise. It is always a quiet spot all year long. The local restaurants sell water, beers, and many other products.
- Granadella: Granadilla is among the most popular beach in the region. Though smaller in size, the rocky beach attracts a large number of visitors throughout the year. It has crystal clear waters and a few lovely restaurants.
- Playa de la Albufereta: The beach is located a two-minute walk from the tram station and also close to many social amenities. The restaurant around offers incredible drinks at very affordable prices. The people are also amiable and fun to be with.
- El Casco Antiguo de Benidorm: This is one of the most famous landmarks in costa Blanca. It is also an incredible sight with plenty of side streets with great bars and shops. There are also some benches where you can sit and relax. It is an excellent place for shopping, drinking and eating with plenty of luxurious shops and restaurants.
- Castillo de Moraira: It is an 18th century stone fortress that was built to defend the coast region from Berber pirates. It is an excellent destination for those who are interested to learn about Spanish history. The surrounding is small but enough for people to have lunch and stroll.
- Balcó del Mediterrani: This is a famous historical landmark that is located between the two main beaches in the region. The place is beautiful to watch the sunrise and other perfect views nearby. It is also an excellent place for taking photos while enjoying the morning sun.
Casa Carbonell: This is another historical landmark in this part of the city. The residential mansion is a beautifully proportioned masterpiece with a classic charm.
- Guadalest Valley: The valley is among the landmarks of the city of Costa Blanca. It has fantastic views and has a lot to explore. The valley is visible from the top of the castle ruins. There is also a hotel nearby where you can get a few drinks to quench your thirst.
Museo The Ocean Race: The museum is dedicated to competitive sailing equipment history. This information is well presented with interactive displays. There is also another wide range of sports and exercises. There are also benches where you can sit and relax while others are skating.
- Museo del Juguete de Denia: The museum is located in Denia, a few miles away from costa Blanca. The entrance is free hence there is no excuse for you not to have a visit. The place has excellent exhibitions that are very interesting for kids. the museum has plenty of old toys and photos of its creators and workers.
- Archaeological Museum of Alicante: The museum is among the famous sites in the region. It has won the European Museum of the year award in the year 2004. since then, it has undergone significant expansion and renovations. It has well-laid imaginative displays and information about the history of costa Blanca. The place is highly recommended for everybody interested in history. There is a lot to learn.
- Micro-Gigantic Museum: The museum is located in Guadalest, a few kilometers from Costa Blanca city center. There is plenty of exhibits to see. The staff are amiable and explain each exhibit to those who need some clarification. the place is ideal for people interested in artwork and design
- Museo de Arte Contemporaneo de Alicante (MACA): The museum is small but contains excellent collections. The entrance is free, so you don't have to worry about the costs. The building is beautifully designed t show some of the fantastic 2D and 3D artwork. The museum is excellent for people with much interest in 3d artwork.
Costa Blanca has a wide range of hotels and restaurants offering a wide range of foods and drinks. Many restaurants are ranging from family-friendly restaurants, vegetarian and vegan restaurants or gluten-free options. The restaurants here will serve you yummy breakfast, light lunch, and delicious dinner at favorable prices. The foods range from seafood to tapas. For traditional dishes, head to tapas alley located in Benidorm and try the wide range of costa Blanca ancient dishes.
The common types of drinks in costa Blanca range from; water, milk, tea, coffee, juice, and soft drinks. Alcoholic drinks include wine, beer, and liquor. The most consumed drink in the region is water. There are many bars and cafes in the region that offer these drinks. Visitors are recommended to try the locally made products as an eco-friendly way of appreciating the residents' people and culture. While here also promote the organic cafes around that offer nutritious drinks.
Tap water in Costa Blanca is safe to drink. According to international water quality standards, 95% of water is safe to drink. The 5% is due to water issues such as taste, pipe contaminations, and odor chlorine. Costa Blanca area is classified as semi-arid due to the scares rainfall.tap water is hard, rich in minerals, and contain high-level chlorine to keep it safe. For this reason, many people opt for bottled water. When drinking water in costa Blanca, please regularly check for local warnings. Most public places like hotels and restaurants offer bottled water but can provide tap water if that's what you want
Costa Blanca is a beautiful city with many activities to indulge in. you can explore its nature by sea, air or land. By air, you can use hot air balloons. By using the air, you will be able to have a beautiful birds-eye of the city. by sea you can join the many water sports activities available including; swimming, jet-skiing, snorkeling, and scuba diving. Scuba diving will help you explore the Mediterranean sea's marine life. By land, you can join the many activities available, including bike tours, hikes, and road trips. Through all these activities, you will be able to explore and appreciate the nature of costa Blanca. These are other major activities to indulge in:
- Quad excursions Denia: The activity is ideal for people, both experienced and inexperienced riders. It's a great place to take your family and friends and rock it together. The trip takes you through stunning places in Denia and Ondara. to be part of the driving squad; you must have attained 18 years of age and have a valid driving license.
- Air rifle shooting: The activity is meant to test your accuracy skills. It's an excellent place for those who want competition or those who need to have fun. The activity is a fantastic way to test your levels of concentration and skill.
- Horse Riding in Torrevieja: This is another activity that attracts a vast number of people in costa Blanca. Many different trails are depending on experience. All horses available are gentle enough for any age group and skill level.
- Jet ski rides Denia: Jet ski excursions are a great combination of diversity and discovery. Through this activity, you will be able to discover the coastline in an exhilarating and thrilling way.
- Water ski-ing: Here you will be able to engage in double ski, mono ski, snorkel, and tube. The activity is relaxing and enjoyable to be part of. The most important thing is to remember is to wear a life jacket.
Accommodation places in costa Blanca are secure, well organized, and affordable. The different accommodations available include Apartments, hostels, and hotels, among many other varieties.
- Boutique Hotel Sierra de Alicante: The hotel is fantastic and easily accessible through public transport. The level of service is topnotch, ranging from the friendly and courteous staff. The hotel is located a few minutes' drives from the airport and a few gorgeous beaches. The building is well furnished with all amenities required for a good stay. The rooms are large and well designed with clean, convenient, and comfortable beds and nice towels. The owner is also knowledgeable about the interest of their customers.
- Hotel Costa Blanca Resort: The place is located in a convenient place easily accessible using public transport. The staffs here are super friendly and courteous. Their food is delicious and offered at excellent prices. The owner is also amiable and easy to interact with. The rooms are spacious and super clean, and equipped with every necessary amenity.
- Sol Costablanca: This is an adult-only hotel located a few miles from the city of Costa Blanca. It features a restaurant, an outdoor pool, and entertainment in the evening. The staff members are so professional and super friendly. The rooms are super clean and well decorated. All amenities required for a comfortable stay are available, including a nice parking area.
- Melià Villaitana: The hotel is located in Benidorm town, just a few minutes' drive from Costa Blanca city center. The hotel offers an artificial beach, spa, and some golf courses. It is a beautiful place with super friendly and courteous staff.
Hostels and Guest Houses
- Hostal Cristina: The guest house is located in Denia, a few minute's drive from Costa Blanca city center. It is a few minute's walks from the beach and the castle. The rooms are spacious and well furnished. There are also restaurants and bars around offering unique foods and drinks. The staff members are well dressed and super friendly.
- Hostal Meseguar: The hostel is located in Elche, a few minute's drive from costa Blanca. The staffs are friendly and welcoming. The hotel rooms are large enough and well organized. All amenities are available and in good shape. The toilets and rooms were super clean and well maintained. Free parking and wifi are available to everyone. It's a great place to visit with family and friends.
- Pensión Rosa: The hostel is located in a quiet location ideal for resting after a long day. The rooms are friendly, clean, and well-arranged. It is just a less than 20 minutes walk from the beach and easily accessible through public transport. The pricing is well thought and worth it. The staff is courteous and ready to help if the need arises.
- Hostal Cataluña: The hostel is located in Alicante, a few minute's drive from costa Blanca. The place is easily accessible through the city public transport. The casual urban hostel offers free wifi and several minibars. The staff is very impressive and courteous. The rooms are well arranged though smaller. The pricing is very affordable and of good value to your money.
- Bed & Breakfast La Milagrosa: The apartment is located in Alicante, a few minute's drive from Costa Blanca city center. It features a garden terrace and a shared kitchen. The rooms are spotless and with a fantastic view of Santa Maria and the basilica. The breakfast is served on the rooftop with a great view and fresh air. All required amenities are available for everyone. Staff members are super friendly and ready to help in case the need arises.
- Edificio Zafiro: This is an apartment building in costa Blanca just a few minutes' drive from the city center. It is easily accessible through public transport. The rooms are large enough, clean, and well
organized. Available amenities include; free wifi and free parking. The services are classy, with staff members being friendly and professional.
- Apartments Costa Blanca: The apartment is located in the city of Costa Blanca. The place is easily accessible using public transport and also close to many social amenities. The rooms are well furnished and decorated. The staff is very excellent and ready to help if the need arises. The place offers good value for your money—worth a visit.
- Torre Paris: The apartment building is located in Alicante, a few minutes' drive from Costa Blanca city. the place is easily accessible through public transport and close to many social amenities. The rooms are spacious and well organized, with staff members also very engaging and easy to interact with. Free parking and wifi are also available.
Couchsurfing in costa Blanca helps discover the unique hidden gems that you would never have got to know. Couchsurfing is safe for everyone, provided you have well-researched information about where you are going. In case you don't have already made friends in the city you want to visit, you can do that through the variety of social media sites and Couchsurfing sites. Costa Blanca people are amiable and welcoming; this nature allows them to accept guests. Always look for like-minded people when looking forward to couch surf to avoid unnecessary embarrassments during your stay.
Camping is among the many outdoor activities you can engage in while in costa Blanca. It involves overnight stays in a tent, shelter, or recreational vehicle. There are numerous camping sites in costa Blanca among them including;
- MARJAL GUARDAMAR Camping & Resort: This is a holiday park located in Guardamar del Segunda, a few miles from the Costa Blanca city center. The place is super clean, with all amenities well maintained and organized. The place is quiet and isolated from the nice of the city. It's an excellent place for a family camp.
- Camping Raco: The campsite is located in Benidorm, a few kilometers away from the city of Costa Blanca. The place is isolated and offers a great atmosphere and fresh environment. The site is excellent, with great facilities and super friendly staff. The place is super clean and well maintained. All social amenities are available to ensure a comfortable stay.
- Villasol Camping & Resort: This magnificent campsite is located in Benidorm town a few kilometers away from the city center of costa Blanca. The services are fantastic, and the staff is accommodating. The pool area is super clean and inviting. They offer a variety of delicious foods ranging from vegan to non-gluten.
- Camping Alicante Imperium: This is a holiday park located in Alicante, a few kilometers away from costa Blanca. The place is easily accessible through public transport. The campsite is well maintained and equipped with excellent facilities to ensure the visitor is engaged during the stay. The staffs are accommodating and easy to interact with.
Costa Blanca majorly refers to the over 200kilometres of the Mediterranean coastline that extends from the region of Pilar de la Horadada in the south and Denia in the north. This area covers several regions, which include:
- Costa Calida Murcia: The region is located in the east corner of the Iberian peninsula between Andalusia and Valencia. Murcia is said to be among the most extensive Spanish communities. The major cities in this region include Cartagena and Murcia.
Costa del Sol: The region is located in the autonomous community of Andalusia in Spain. It contains two smaller regions named costa tropical and costa de la Cruz. The region is a major tourist destination due to its friendly weather and a variety of fun activities.
- Dénia (Spanish: Denia)
- Xàbia (Spanish: Jávea)
- Calp (Spanish: Calpe)
- Guadalest – an especially scenic mountain village.
- Benidorm – known mostly for its British residents and tourists.
- Villajoyosa (Valencian: La Vila Joiosa)
- Alicante (Valencian: Alacant) – the provincial capital and largest city.
- Elche (Valencian: Elx) – one of the world's largest palm groves, inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Torrevieja (Valencian: Torrevella) – cheap southern resort famous mainly for the lovely beaches and a high percentage of expatriates.
Getting There and Moving Around
You can use several methods to get to costa Blanca from wherever you are; there is air, land, or water. You can use a ferry for those along the Spanish coastline, while those from afar can use air. Both international and domestic travel connections in costa Blanca are excellent.
Air is the most efficient means of transport when getting here from far away countries. Though costly, the travel means saves time and struggles evident by using other means of transport including comfort and tiredness. The nearest airport to Casablanca is located in Alicante. From the airport, all beaches are easily accessible since the distances are minimal. Santa Pola is less than 15 kilometers away, while Guardamar and Segura are less than 40 kilometers away.
Travel by bus is an eco-friendly means of transport compared to the private means. It saves both cost and air pollution. Costa Blanca has excellent road connections hence making road transport very efficient. The highway of Autovia del Mediterraneo runs from France to Algeciras, passing through all major destinations.
The train is another eco-friendly means of transport. The train in Alicante connects Madrid, Catalonia, and Valencia. The train also offers direct connections to the regions of Almeria and Cartagena. Train transport reduces road congestions hence highly recommended when applicable.
Hitchhiking in costa Blanca is popular among young people. It is as popular as any other way of moving around the city. It is safe, but one should take necessary precautions before engaging in this activity. Young women are encouraged not to hitchhike alone. The best route to hitchhike among the locals is stating from Valencia to Pamplona.
Other modes of transport that get you to costa Blanca include: include:
- By taxi
- By personal means
- By ferry
Sustainable shopping in costa balance ensures that everything we buy has both health, social, and environmental benefit to the residents. Sustainable shopping gives both local and foreign visitors a chance to support what is important to the environment for the environment's greater good. Sustainable shopping involves buying from local food markets, flea markets, and eco-fashion manufacturers. There are several places you can engage in eco-friendly shopping in costa Blanca including:
- Mercat del Riurau: This is a flea market locate a few kilometers from Costa Blanca city center. The market operates positively on Sundays with a great variety of products. The products are locally produced, which gives visitors a chance to promote these local producers. The stalls are clean and well, organized which makes it easier to locate products.
- Benidorm Municipal Market: This is an outdoor market located in Benidorm, a few kilometers from Costa Blanca city. this is a second-hand cloth market with a large taste of products. The market offers great bargains and quality staff. The earlier you go, the better the chance of getting quality products. While here, take care of your stuff to avoid getting pickpocketed.
- Moraira market: The market is located in Moraira, a few kilometers from the city center of costa Blanca. The market is easily accessible through public transport. It is famous for its quality leather products. There are plenty of stalls that are clean and well organized. While here, you can barter the price and get a good bargain.
Recycling is an efficient and vital way to keep the environment clean and safe. It prevents pollution of air and water bodies. Recyclable items in costa Blanca include metals like tin and aluminum, plastics, and organic waste. This region's city government has place recycling bins in Javea, Alicante province, and Costa Blanca. Some companies offer clearance services in the region, including:
Wombles removals and clearances. The company deals with the removal of garbage from offices, homes, and businesses. They operate in Benidorm, Albir, Alicante, and Altea. The company also deals with overseas removal.
Costa Blanca city has well-allocated trash collection areas to help keep the city's area clean and conducive for conducting business activities. While here, make sure to drop your plastic cans and any other kind of waste material in these designated areas to support the city government's plan of keeping the environment clean.
Work and Study Abroad
There are over 84 international companies in costa Blanca. The companies offer both full time and part-time jobs to the residents of costa Blanca. There are also many startups in this part of the region. Significant companies are adventure companies, shipping companies, software companies, construction companies, and logistics companies. Some of them include:
- Hoffmann International Inmobiliaria
- MASA International
- Mateo International
Costa Blanca hosts some of the major universities in this region. Most of these universities are majoring in tech courses due to the rising demand for tech professionals in the area. Universities and colleges in the city include:
- University of Alicante Polytechnic School - EPSA
- U3A Calpe
- Universidad Miguel Hernández de Elche
- UNIVERSIDAD UMH
Costa Blanca residents find it easy to have au pairs from other countries to help them with household duties. Au pairs usually live with the family they work for and are rewarded fairly for their excellent job. Most people who need au pairs are the working class, and those who need their children taught English. Costa Blanca's people opt for au pair above 18 and have good English and Spanish language skills.
Volunteering in Costa Blanca will help you discover this beautiful coastline and its potential. Volunteering will be a great way to give back to the welcoming people of costa Blanca. The several things you can opt from include;
- Teaching English as a second language
- Marine conservation
- Support healthcare projects