Costa del Sol
Eco-friendly travel guide to Costa del Sol advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Costa del Sol, Spain.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Bus connections: 3 / 5
- Train connections: 4 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 4 / 5
- National parks: 5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$30 - $100
- Budget per day: US$100 - $120
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Costa Del Sol is a region in Spain. Formerly made up only of a series of small fishing settlements, today the region is a world-renowned tourist destination. There are many reasons behind this region being a favourite among tourists which include its sandy beaches and year round warm climate, beautiful golf courses etc.
While exploring different places and the general idea of tourism is great, it is also harmful for the environment because of the way tourists travel today. It is of utmost importance to be a responsible traveller especially when we are at the verge of a climate disaster. When you are in Costa Del Sol, you must practice sustainability in order to preserve the beauty of this region. Some of the things that you can do are:
- Stay at Eco friendly resorts: There are many lavish resorts in the region but some of them contribute to the major amount of waste produced. Choose a resort that believes in green and eco friendly practices.
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience includes discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Minimise the use of plastic: Little things like carrying your own refillable water bottle, metal straws and chopsticks will massively help in waste reduction. The restaurants, resorts, hotels throw away tonnes of plastic waste everyday. On the Costa del Sol's beaches, the level of microplastics is on average 30 particles in every kilogram of sand, equivalent to 500 particles per square metre. If every tourist and local played their part in minimising this waste then the difference will be visible in no time.
Air Quality and Pollution
Air pollution is a menace in many societies, and Costa Del Sol is not an exception. It will be wrong to say that there are no air pollution elements or factors that contribute to air pollution in this region.
However, it is not the worst in Spain. Research shows that Costa Del Sol is amongst the least polluted regions in Spain.
It is safe to say that the air quality in this region is moderate and manageable. The AQI shows an average figure of 20 which is ranked as good by the World Health Organization. However, if you are prone to dust allergies and have breathing troubles, it will be best to carry your medicines and inhaler with you at all times on the trip.
Respect the Culture
Respect is always essential in any society. When you are respectful to the locals, they are more friendly and warm hence making your trip more fun and memorable.
Hence, there is always the question about how to respect the locals and their culture. What are the do's and don't's. Some of the things to keep in mind are:
- Do not be nosy: You can be inquisitive but you cannot be nosy. That is disrespectful. Ask local people questions and get to know more about them but do not get too personal and nosy.
- Do not be dismissive: Costa has a rich history and if a local guide or a local person in general dwells on historical facts and stories, do not change the topic or do not look bored. This is massively disrespectful.
- Appreciate the local food, art and music: This is what makes the culture of the city and these are the things you need to be appreciative of.
There are other things as well like for anyone visiting Costa Del Sol, it comes in handy if you know some Spanish Phrases. Since it is a region in Spain, knowing Spanish bits will help you communicate better with the locals. These locals are usually happy when they see foreigners putting in such efforts.
Smiling at others is also a great way to show your respect. It shows the foreigners that you are friendly and they will be eager to strike up conversations.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Here are some of the top places to visit when you are in Costa Del Sol:
- Tivoli World: This theme park in Benalmádena, Málaga is a must visit. Asides from the rides, you also get to enjoy at a beautiful garden and eat from excellent restaurants. The experience is always top-notch, and you cannot afford to miss it.
- Bioparc Fuengirola: If you love animals, then you will love visiting this wildlife and safari park in Fuengirola. Thus, we cannot fail to add this place to our list. It is a safe space for animals. It also allows visitors to get up close with the animals. The tour guides are also knowledgeable and always helpful.
- Selwo Aventura: This is another animal park in the region. It is located in Malaga. It is an open-air safari park that actively participates in projects that help conserving wildlife, defending the environment, biodiversity and raising social awareness of the problems facing the natural world. This is a great place to visit if you want to educate yourself on these topics especially if you have young children accompanying you and you want to teach them about the importance of wildlife. People say that the best way to experience this place is to go on a safari tour. Thus, remember to do this when you visit the zoo.
- Castillo Sohail: This is an ancient castle that was built in 956 AD. It located in Fuengirola right next to the Fuengirola River. This magnificent castle has a very rich history and at one time was occupied by Christian armies battling against the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada. It has been restored properly and is a must visit if you want some insight into the history of Costa Del Sol or if you generally are fond of ancient architecture.
- Sea Life Benalmádena: This is an aquarium in Benalmádena with a wide range of sea animals. They have worked extensively for the conservation of nearly extinct species and have advocated about protecting the oceans and marine life. This is why it is worth contributing to their cause and supporting them. They sometimes allow visitors to feed these animals. The atmosphere here is always calm, and there is a golf course within the building with a café.
- Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park: Visiting this place lets you bond with nature and your environment. You can engage in various activities. It could be appreciating the beauty of nature or camping. A person can also go hiking here. It is best that you do not embark on any activity alone, and you will need a local guide.
- Crocodile Park: If you have never been to a crocodile zoo before then this place gives you the opportunity when you are in Costa Del Sol. It is important to note that entrance to this place is not free. Thus, it is best if you are prepared to pay a fee. You will learn a lot about crocodiles before leaving, and we know that it will no be a waste of your time.
- Benalmádena Cable Car: Getting a cable car experience is something that you will not forget, especially in a foreign area. This cable car takes you to the top of Mount Calamorro. The views are always fantastic and will put a smile on your place. The experience will add to your memories about this region, and we know that you will be eager to share it with others when you get back home. It is usually a smooth ride.
- Aquamijas: It is a water park in the region. Some people may say that it is for children. However, allow us to tell you that it is a perfect place for both adults and children. There are slides and pools for all ages. If you are looking to have a good time, this is a perfect place to visit.
- Molino de Inca Botanical Garden: If you are looking for an escape or a quiet time, you should visit this garden. There are various plants that you might have never seen before. The environment is conducive and calm, making it perfect for relaxation. Allow us to add that this place is always clean and beautiful.
If you plan to visit Costa Del Sol, you would obviously want to explore. The good thing is that there is a lot to explore.
Although foreigners usually have various reasons why they visit a place, they always crave not to have a dull moment. It is a region that has many places for you to visit if you are ready to explore. Swimming is one of the prevalent activities in this place due to its various water parks and beaches.
From the various nooks and crannies to the famous beaches, you will get to see a lot. Make sure that you have your travel itinerary ready before the trip in order to make the most out of your trip to Costa Del Sol.
Some people say that the city parks in a place are the delight of that area. We cannot fault their logic or thinking as city parks are beautiful places. If you are looking for a place to relax or chill, they prove to be the perfect location.
There are some city parks in Costa Del Sol. Some of them are noisy due to the inflow of many people. Others are quiet. However, they are all relaxing.
Some of these city parks are:
- Parque Nagüeles: It is a park with ample space. It also has a play area for children. Although many people usually visit this place, it still has a calm atmosphere. There are picnic tables at this place. Thus, you can plan a date with a partner or a friend. There are also restrooms at the park. Exploring this city park will make you happy.
- Alameda Park: The atmosphere of this place is calming, and the cleanliness makes it more appealing. It has lush vegetable that is enviable. If you love to take pictures and capture memories, this place makes a perfect location.
National Parks are protected areas with unique geological features. They are a must visit for tourists who want to learn more about conservation, who want to be close to nature and who want to learn about the importance of these protected areas.
- Natural Park Los Reales de Sierra Bermeja: This is a National Park in Malaga. It has a mountainous terrain, so people usually engage in hiking. It comes in handy that there are various hiking trails. It will please you to climb to the peak of the mountain as it has a delightful view. Some people will not leave this place until they have watched the sunset. It is a quiet and beautiful place that people always appreciate.
- Dunas de Artola o Cabopino: If you are looking to take a walk and relax or refresh your mind, this national park suits the description. There are also protected dunes at this place. Some people say that walking barefooted here gives them a sense of comfort.
Costa Del Sol is known for its sandy long beaches. Being a resort region, it has plenty of beautiful beaches with breathtaking views. Some of the beaches that are a must visit include:
- La Rada Beach: Both children and adults can visit this place and have fun. Its blue waters have a way of relaxing the mind when you visit. There are playgrounds at this place, so it is impossible to have a dull time. This place is always clean, so we are sure that you will love it.
- Playa de la Viborilla: It is a small beach but effective for having a swell time. It is vital to note that this is a rocky beach, so you have to be extra careful. When you visit this place, ensure that you join in the various activities.
Other Beaches include:
- Playa de Burriana
- Playa de Cabopino
- La Malagueta
- Playa de la Rada
There are sometimes arguments on whether or not to add landmarks to the list of places that a person can explore when in a new area.
We do not see why foreigners cannot explore landmarks as it helps them always remember these places.
A landmark can be anything. However, it should have the ability to stick to our minds for easy remembrance and recognition. People often use landmarks as descriptions when directing you to a place.
Some of the landmarks n Costa Del Sol are:
- Torre Vigía de Calaburras: Since this place is a tower, it is easy for you to see it from a distance. For those who wish to explore the area, it comes in handy that there are coffee shops around it.
- Colomares Monument: It is a castle in the region that will always get attention. As a foreigner, you can choose to explore the interiors and everything about this castle. There is also a garden for relaxation. You will get a breathtaking view of this place.
A place that you cannot miss exploring when you visit a new area is the museum. The number of museums that you will find depends on how if the area is large. However, you are sure to see at least one.
In Costa Del Sol, you will see one than one museum in this region. The museums could be of the history and heritage of the people or art exhibitions that tell abstract stories.
Whatever it might be, we can assure you that you will love the experience of visiting and exploring a museum. Some museums in Costa Del Sol are:
- Museo Ralli: It is an art museum with different designs and paintings. Typically, there is a story behind each picture, and the tour guides are ready to share. Some people say that they are at peace when they look at these artworks, making them happy. Thus, you should also have an experience of it.
- Museo Historico-Etnologico: At this place, you learn about the Spain’s history and its people.
Food is a very important part of the Spanish culture. When you think of Spanish cuisine, what may come to mind is the delicious Paella but that is just one small aspect of it. The local food is to die for especially the options available in Costa Del Sol.
In Costa Del Sol, it will be wrong for you to miss eating their rice pudding. They call it Arroz con leche. People say that it usually has a cinnamon taste, which comes from one of its local spices.
You can also get specially prepared prawns known as gambas al pil-pil. We see people licking their fingers and wanting more after eating it.
There is no better place to get any local meal than at a local traditional restaurant. At these places, you are sure to see expert chefs that prepare these foods with love.
All you need is to sit back, relax and enjoy the meals. Many foreigners confess that the food they get from these traditional restaurants is worth the money.
It is not hard to find a local restaurant in Costa Del Sol, so foreigners can easily enjoy the traditional local foods.
Some of these traditional local restaurants are:
- Mesón Doña Lola: These people ensure that they endear their customers’ hearts by providing excellent and fantastic services. They also combine and ensure that their food is of high quality. Thus, you cannot have any complaints when you eat at this place. People again commend their menu variety as you know that you can get different options.
- Fujiumi: You can either dine-in or do a takeaway at this place. No matter your option, it does not lower the quality of the meal. We are sure that you will enjoy eating it.
It will be wrong to think that everyone likes the same thing when it concerns food preferences. We see that play out with eating preferences as they are people who identify as vegans. We are sure that you are not new to this term.
As a vegetarian, you might be disturbed about where and how you can get food when you get to Costa Del Sol. However, this should not be a problem. It is easy to see vegan restaurants in the region the same way you can get regular restaurants.
Some of the vegetarian restaurants are:
- La Libélula Vegan Café: The cozy environment of this place makes it more comfortable to eat. When you taste the meals at this place, you will agree that they are good at what they do. It will not be surprising if it becomes your permanent food place during your holiday. It is also helpful that they have friendly staff.
If you are a street food lover, we know that you will be waiting for us to mention some options you can get in Costa Del Sol. It will be pleasing for you to know that there is an array of street food in this region.
As you walk on the streets, it is easy for you to see something delicious and buy.
We do not know if you have ever tasted Churros. It is one of the top street foods in this region, and people say that it goes with any beverage. Thus, it would be best if you are on the lookout for it.
Another street food option in this region is Pinchitos. It is the Spanish version of kebabs. We know that many people are familiar with kebabs and will not waste an opportunity to buy them.
You cannot afford not to try Tortilla Espanola. It is a mixture of many things and stays appetizing. When you eat it, you will find yourself craving for more. We can assure you that it is never a waste of money.
To have a balanced equation, it is only suitable for us to also talk about the drinks available in Costa Del Sol. After all, we have highlighted different food options.
If you love different types of drinks, you will not be disappointed when you visit Costa Del Sol. It offers an array of options, and we know that some foreigners dedicate time to trying out all of them.
Granizados is one of the common drinks in the region, and it comes in different flavors. People are usually happy that they can get both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks when in Costa Del Sol.
Some people say that you should not leave this region if you have not tasted the Clara beer. It is not hard to get as it is a top favorite for many bars. The locals of this place are also 'coffee lovers. Thus, it is safe to say that it is one of their top drinks. We cannot list all the available drink options as it is a long list.
Water also classifies as a drink, so we cannot help but talk about the state of tap water in this region. After all, no one can do without drinking water.
When you are traveling to Costa Del Sol, you do not need to worry about extra expenses when it concerns water. This is because you do not need to buy bottled water or other alternatives.
Tap water in this region is safe to drink, so there is no need for other alternatives. Try to use tap water rather than buying bottled water in plastic bottles that are unsafe and hazardous for the environment. If the idea of drinking tap water makes you uneasy then you can always boil it before consuming. Carry a reusable water bottle with you in order to avoid buying plastic bottles.
There are questions about activities people can do in Costa Del Sol to keep busy. We can list numerous things as this is an activity and bubbly region. After all, it is famous worldwide for its golf.
However, we cannot fail to forget that there are water bodies in this region. Thus, we are bringing fishing and kayaking into the mix. We are bold to make such claims as these are water activities, and there are water bodies in Costa Del Sol.
Many places in this region are perfect for fishing and kayaking. You will see the locals engaging in these activities.
By engaging in these activities, you get to spend time and bond with the locals. It is also a learning process for those who may have never participated in fishing or kayaking before.
You will lose track of time while doing these activities because you are sure to have fun. We advise that you add these activities to your to-do list not to forget.
Some people are water phobic, and it hinders them from engaging in fishing and kayaking. We have to think of other activities for such persons that they can do while in Costa Del Sol. This is where yoga comes to play.
It is an activity for people, and it also has health benefits. When you regularly engage in yoga, you will notice that it is a mind and brain exercise. It helps to relax your body system.
We want to assume that this is not the first time you will hear about yoga. When you visit Costa Del Sol, you will see that it is one of the region’s top activities. There are many yoga studios located here.
Understandably, some people prefer to engage in yoga in a group. For those who are new to this activity, you can learn from professionals when you visit a yoga studio.
It is best not to ignore this activity as it will keep you busy and contribute to your health.
Have you ever been to Costa Del Sol before? Do you have a place to stay? These are some of the questions we ask before who say that they wish to visit this region.
If their answer is not positive, we always advise that they make accommodation plans before going further. The goal is to know what options are available in the region instead of taking you by surprise. What if you do not like any of their options?
Asides from knowing the available accommodation options, you also get to know their prices. This helps you in planning your accommodation budget. We always advise foreigners to make accommodation planning their first step to ensure that they are not stranded when they get to this region.
We know that everyone desires a stress-free journey. Planning your accommodation makes this possible. It is wrong to assume that you can get what applies in your home city. Instead of working on assumptions, you should research and know what to expect.
There are many ways to be a responsible traveler when in a new place. One of them is to stay eco-friendly. There are also various ways of being eco-friendly.
A person or individual can be eco-friendly by staying in a green hotel. However, we are saying that it comes in handy to those who love sustainability.
When you stay in such a hotel, you know that you are not harming the environment. People often ask the prices to expect if they want to stay in a green hotel. We cannot state that as it will be wrong to generalize.
Instead, you can contact the hotel once you make a choice. We can tell you that there are many green hotels in Costa Del Sol. This is not Spain is a developed area, so nothing less is expected of its regions.
The green hotels in Costa Del Sol are always of a high standard to ensure that their customers get nothing short of the best.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels and guesthouses appear as mini options of a regular hotel. Some of them are perfect for those traveling in a group as you get to see bunk beds.
The idea of bunk beds helps you make new friends and familiarize yourself with others if you travel alone. However, some people are not comfortable with this idea. In such a situation, they ensure to travel in a group to stay in the same room with people they know.
It is safe to say that staying in a hostel or guesthouse is one of the cheap options. However, we also cannot generalize and state a price. You need to know that there are many hostels and guesthouses in Costa Del Sol.
If you feel that your accommodation budget is not high, you should try going for this option when traveling to Costa Del Sol. While in any of these options, you can meet with people who know much about the area and learn from them.
Another accommodation option that we cannot ignore in Costa Del Sol is staying in an apartment. We know that this is famous in many parts of the world. There are high chances that you have stayed in one before.
Those who have lodged in apartments always have this as their preferred option when traveling. We assume it is because of the adequate and maximum comfort they get. After all, no one wants to compromise their comfort when traveling to a foreign area.
By staying in an apartment, it is like having a home to yourself in a new place. Some people say that the holiday is more leisurely when you have a comfortable apartment space.
Since we do not want to generalize, we cannot mention the apartments prices’ in this region. However, we can say that apartments are more expensive than other accommodation options. It does not come in handy for those on a traveling budget.
It is best to go for this option if you are sure that it would not bankrupt your budget.
What do you say about getting free accommodation when traveling to a new place? Some people say that it is not possible. When we hear such, we assume that they have not heard about Couchsurfing.
With Couchsurfing, you get access to many locals who do not mind playing hosts to foreigners. It is not out of place to call these locals jolly good fellows. After all, it is not everyone that is nice to accommodate strangers.
The Couchsurfing website is there to find you find these locals. All you need to do is input your location so that it can bring out suitable suggestions.
Couchsurfing is easy when you understand the locals and ready to make compromises. It is best not always to think that your ideologies are correct.
Being respectful and having manners also go a long way. Co-habiting is easy when there is mutual respect. The fact that you are not paying for accommodation should be a motivation to tolerate any shortcomings while staying with the locals.
Some people say that the idea of camping is what takes them to Costa Del Sol. It could be that they have heard amazing stories from others, or they are explorers and choose this region as their location.
Whatever the case might be, we can confirm that Costa Del Sol is a perfect place for camping.
Sometimes, you do not need to go through stress by checking for the perfect campsite. There are identifiable campgrounds in the region, and we can assure you that you will enjoy them.
It is best that you do not hold back from bonding with people when you go camping. After all, sharing stories is a camping tradition, and we know that you will be on broad smiles.
Some people say that they go on camping alone. We would say that it would not be fun as camping is best in a group. However, it would be best if you do whatever works best for you. But, ensure that you get tips from the locals.
Getting There and Moving Around
Before deciding that you want to go to Costa Del Sol, have you thought of how to get there?
We know that you may be keeping a confused face now as you are wondering how it matters. If we are honest, you are more confident visiting a place when you know the way there.
If you do not know how to get to Costa Del Sol, it is best to start researching. Sadly, some people work based on assumptions. We see cases where people go to the wrong location and get disappointed when they find out that they cannot get a means of transport from there to their destination.
There are also cases where a person thinks that they can use a particular transportation means. However, they are disappointed when they find out that it does not go to their destination.
Instead of waiting until the last minute and being disappointed, why not research so that you will know how to plan your movement.
We will highlight some possible ways for those going to Costa Del Sol.
When you find out how to reach your desired city or region, you also need to know how people move around in that place.
Imagine you are going from your hotel to get food or groceries. How will you move? It is a piece of important information that every foreigner needs. After all, we know that the plan is not to get missing when you go to a new place.
If you do not ask questions to know how to move around, you will be confused, leading to complications. We do not want anything that will spoil your mood while on holiday.
We will do our best also to highlight some ways of moving around when in costa Del Sol. However, the people with the best information are usually the locals.
As you read through what we have, ensure that you keep it in your mind. When you get to your destination, get more clarification about each of them from the locals. The locals are also helpful with the pricing of the various means of moving around.
Walking around is a feasible means of movement around this region. Sometimes, you can use of legs instead of being dependent on other means of transportation. However, the pace you will cover depends on your body’s energy.
We usually tell people to walk around when it is a short distance they want to cover. This is because the region is generally hot. Thus, you can get tired quickly.
When walking around in Costa Del Sol, it is best to have water and possibly sunscreen. These are essentials that should never be compromised when visiting this place.
As you walk around, the locals are sure to interact with you. If you have a camera, you can also take pictures of things that appeal to you.
Some people say that they learn directions better and faster when they walk around. We cannot say that this applies to everyone. Now, you can say that one sure means of moving around in Costa Del Sol is to walk. It comes in handy that the region is considered safe.
If you did not know, mountain biking is a top activity in this region. It means you can use a bicycle as a means of moving around. You will see different cycling trails, so you do not need to worry. Besides, you will not be the only person using a bike from one point to another.
People often ask how they can get a bicycle. There are many rental stores in the region as they understand that people love cycling. Thus, you can rent one for the duration of your stay in the area.
Asides from using it to move around, you can also enter into cycling competitors. It is a fun activity that keeps you busy while in the region, and you get to bond with the locals.
Having a bicycle always comes in handy, and we have not seen anyone who gets tired of using it.
We do not know if you will prefer this option. It is always best to have it in mind.
Foreigners also have the opportunity to use scooters when they are in this region. Renting a scooter is the same process as renting a bicycle. However, the riding process is more technical.
We usually advocate that a person should not use a scooter if they have never ridden one before. The chances of having an accident when riding a scooter are higher.
When renting a scooter, your safety should always be a top priority. It is why we tell people always to get a helmet and, if possible, a shin guard.
Before getting on the road, you should study and monitor how the drivers ride. Understanding their driving pattern and behavior helps you know how to navigate your way.
We cannot help but include scooters amongst the options as we know that some people prefer them.
Some people may say that they will learn how to ride a scooter along the way. If you are a newbie, ensure that you stick to other options.
One significant way of getting into Costa Del Sol is to use air. Everyone can agree that it is the fastest means of transportation. What matters is that you can get a flight from your present location to Costa Del Sol. We cannot help you with this information as we do not know where you reside. Thus, the ideal thing is for you to check if there are direct flights.
Even if you do not see direct flights, you should not be discouraged. Instead, check for the closest location where you can get a direct flight to this place. Many places that have direct flights to Costa Del Sol.
Although many airports can access this place, Málaga Airport is the closest to Costa Del Sol. For other airports, you may need to drive for some hours before gaining access to the region.
If you prefer to use air in traveling and Costa Del Sol is your destination, you should start checking for locations where you can get a flight.
Some people also ask if it is possible to use air and move around in this region. It is possible in some other places, but not in Costa Del Sol.
The people do not consider using flights as an ideal means of going from one city to another. Besides, it would be more expensive than using other regular means of moving around.
People who plan to use air and move around are those with a high traveling budget. We can assure you that there are many considerable ways of moving around in this region and we are sure that you will see an option you prefer.
Some people argue that using air would be better since it is fast. To them, they want a chance to visit many places in a limited time.
We do not know if using air to move around will soon become an ideal means. Only time can tell. For now, stick to the available options.
There is an efficient bus system when it concerns getting into Costa Del Sol. However, it could be from other areas within Spain. Using a bus could take hours or days. No one wants to spend much time when it concerns getting to their destination. Thus, it would be improper to think that you can use a bus to get into this region from another continent.
Using air is an ideal option for those coming from another continent. Buses often cause traffic in Costa Del Sol. The buses that operate in this region are usually comfortable. But the traffic sometimes irritates people.
If you prefer to travel using this means, you should be in Spain already before considering this option. In some cases, you might have to take separate buses before reaching the region.
Some people say that this method is stressful, while others do not mind. It is left for you to decide if it is a feasible option.
Can buses be a means of moving around in Costa Del Sol? It is a frequent question we get from foreigners.
In many places, they use buses to move around. Thus, one would also expect the same in Costa Del Sol.
Your thoughts are not wrong as it is possible to use buses and move around in this region. We can say that they have an efficient public bus system. However, people always have complaints due to the traffic.
Many people do not like to drive cars here because it is hard to get parking space. It is right to say that everywhere is usually congested. It is because people are continually moving from one point to another.
When using a bus to move around, you should always leave early due to the traffic. Sometimes, people still get to their destinations late. It is the only downside to using a bus in the region. However, it is the most common means of moving around, especially as it is not expensive.
Another way of getting into Costa Del Sol is to use a train. It works if you are already within Spain. Understandably, there must be a railway connection between your present location and the region.
It is only in some rare cases that we see places outside the country with a railway connection with a city. Most times, it is usually between towns in the same country. For Costa Del Sol, its railway connection is between Spanish cities.
Thus, if you are in a place like Madrid or Barcelona, you can get a train to this region.
Everyone agrees that trains are the slowest means of transportation. We do not want to imagine how long it will take to use a train to Costa Del Sol to come in from another country or continent.
It is safe to say that you will have a comfortable ride on the train. Thus, it is best to relax and try to make the best out of the journey.
Since we already know that there is a railway in Costa Del Sol, we are not surprised that people are hopeful to use a train to move around.
Typically, it comes as an alternative to using a bus, and people are usually thankful. Some people may note that using a train is slow. However, others will prefer to use a train that to get stuck in traffic.
We cannot state which will be faster as various factors come to play. What matters is that there are multiple means of moving around in this region.
Using a train is also not expensive, so you do not need to worry about the cost. To get more information about trains and their pricing, you should talk to a local.
We cannot assure you of quietness when you board a train in this region as it sometimes gets noisy. Some people do not care about the noise as long as it gets them to their destination.
Another way of moving around in this region is by hitchhiking. It is a method that allows you to get a free ride.
Typically, a person stands on the road and tries to flag down vehicles. The drivers in Costa Del Sol will stop at your signal.
The worst mistake you can make is to enter the vehicle without an initial agreement. It is always best to let the drivers know that you desire a free ride. It is left for the drivers to make a choice. However, we are sure that a driver will agree to carry you for free.
The easiest way to get a free ride or hitchhike within this region is to speak Spanish. Even if not perfectly, but you should know some of the phrases. It lets the riders communicate with you better.
It is also easy for the drivers to stop as they are usually not on top speed due to the traffic congestion.
Are there other means of getting into Costa Del Sol? It is amongst the questions that we get from foreigners.
We often wonder if the ones we highlighted are not enough. However, we understood that they ask this question because they want to know if one can travel on water to reach this region. By this, they wish to use a ship or ferry.
If you love traveling through water, you should first check that the place you are visiting has water bodies. For those visiting Costa Del Sol, it is not an issue as the region has water bodies.
One can use a boat or ferry to this region. However, it is not always a feasible means. This is because you do not have the full assurance of always getting a boat or ferry.
The only way to travel through water bodies when visiting Costa Del Sol is when you are already in Spain.
We can tell you that traveling with this means is a heartwarming experience as the views are always fantastic.
Foreigners always desire to go shopping when they are in a new place. It could be that you need certain essentials or you want to get souvenirs to take back home. It is not out of place for this to happen.
However, where you shop matters as it is a determinant if you are a responsible tourist or not. A responsible tourist will patronize local vendors when shopping in a new place. The act of doing this is called sustainable shopping.
When you buy from a local vendor, you are boosting their sales and contributing to the region’s economy. Some people may want to argue and ask if a local vendor would have what they desire buying.
We can assure you that these local vendors usually sell an array of items. We will list some of the ways that you can engage in sustainable shopping.
It could be that you have already been engaging in sustainable shopping, but you did not know the term. Now that you are aware, you should not go astray as it is essential.
You know how you visit a market to buy food items? Everyone would agree that it is easier to get ingredients and condiments at a food market.
When you visit the food market in a new place looking for their unique local ingredients, you will most likely get them from local vendors.
In such a case, buying from food markets is a way of engaging in sustainable shopping. You are helping to grow the business of a local while getting the product satisfaction in return.
You will realize that it is easy to relate with the vendors in a food market, and they help you pick the best options if you are confused. We can also apply the same energy of buying things from a food market to purchasing from a second-hand store. People always keep a type of face whenever we propose this idea. However, it is also a way of engaging in sustainable shopping.
At a second-hand store, you get an array of used items. It could be clothes, books, electronics, or much more. We do not know what such stores are called in your home city. In some places, they call it thrift stores.
Some people are reluctant to buy from such places because they are not new. But it should not matter as the vendors ensure that it is alright before selling. It also comes in handy that you can make bargains and negotiations.
We do not know if you have been paying attention to the fashion industry lately. If you have, you will notice that designers have started using recyclable items to make clothes.
Some will do not understand how this is possible. We would not bother our heads with the production process as it is the work of the designer. Our job is to buy the clothes that appeal to us.
Are eco-fashion items fashionable? It is a question we get from people. The answer is yes. These clothes are usually stylish, and models even use them to walk the runway.
Patronizing the local vendors and buying eco-fashion items is a way of engaging in sustainable shopping.
Many organizations join hands together to ensure that items are properly recycled in the area.
It should not be surprising as eco-fashion is prevalent. The people of Costa Del Sol understand the importance of recycling. Thus, they always sort their trash and ensure that recyclable items are sent to the relevant authorities.
These companies make useable things from the items, ensuring sustainability and protecting the environment. Not many societies key into this idea, and we wish that they will note things down from Costa Del Sol.
Foreigners in this region are also to join and assist in the recycling process.
We can give high commendations to work and effort that the locals of Costa Del Sol put into waste management. It is a combined work from both individuals and the government.
The government ensures to put regulations, and the people obey them. We can say that it is because they understand the importance of a clean environment.
Cleanliness helps to portray a region in a positive light, and they are not failing at it. You will wear a smile when you are in this region as the atmosphere is always conducive.
No foreigner should be caught violating the laws and regulations that concern waste management as you would not be a responsible tourist.
Work and Study Abroad
Some people have the idea of working while studying, but not all areas permit their students. Thus, we get questions from people asking if it is allowed in Costa Del Sol. These are usually intending students in the region.
The educational laws that come to play in Costa Del Sol also apply to all regions in Spain. Typically, Spain allows international students to work up to 20 hours a week. It is to ensure that you are not overburdened with stress so that nothing will affect your academics.
We believe that the allocated hours are fair enough, and you can plan your schedule around it. Thus, we can say that working and studying are allowed in Costa Del Sol.
Malaga is generally where all the universities are and if you wish to spend an year abroad in Costa Del Sol as an exchange student then most likely you will have to study in a university in Malaga. The ballpark figure that you should keep in mind for a single semester in Malaga will be around 3000$ which is a little steep. You will have to check in with your current university first to see if they are affiliated with a university in Costa Del Sol where you can spend the year as an exchange student.
The concept of an Au Pair living with local families has not gained popularity in this place for now. Since locals heavily rely on tourism industry themselves, it is not feasible for them to start paying tourists to stay with them to help with house hold chores. However, there are plenty of wealthy families settled in this area as well who are accustomed to the idea of Au Pairs. Scour through local websites and get in touch with the right people and you might find the opportunity you are looking for.
There are so many volunteering activities that you can be a part of in this region. It is a way to help people through grass-root levels. You can have a direct impact and it will also help you feel better. There are plenty of cases to volunteer for like the protection of Marine life, protecting the ocean, helping reduce waste, local soup kitchens etc. Get in touch with any local NGO to find out more.