Eco-friendly travel guide to Flores (Guatemala) advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Flores, Guatemala.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.9 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.8 /5
- Public transportation: 3,9 / 5
- Parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.8 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$180 - $200
- Budget per day: US$150 - $170
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Eco-friendly travel guide to Flores (Guatemala) advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally-owned hotels, organic restaurants, and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Flores, Guatemala. Flores City is part of northern Guatemala. It is located on the San Andrés Island in the southern part of Lake Petén Itzá. Further, it was also once the capital of the Itzá Maya. Flores is considered the perfect place to relax for a few days, along with offering combined awesome things to do. This includes an exciting excursion to the Crib of the Mayas, which is one of the biggest civilizations in the history of the world. The city is also known for exploring Flores Island Guatemala. And, the best way to admire the beauty of the island is by walking around. The city is surrounded by the third biggest lake in Guatemala named the Lake Peten Itza. The picturesque town of Flores Guatemala gives you the chance to enjoy stunning landscapes, cultural activities, besides, it is the gateway to most of the archaeological Mayan parks located around the area. This quiet Island is on the list of the 25 most colorful places in the world. Hence, for many, the main reason to visit Flores is its proximity to Tikal, which is the most famous Maya ruins in Guatemala and is also considered as a starting point for trips around Petén. Flores is also known as a major trade center for the surrounding regions. Rubber, Chicle, cacao (the source of cocoa beans), timber, and sugarcane are some of the main products of the hinterland.
- As an eco-friendly tourist, you should follow some of the positive steps to effectively contribute your role to the environment of the city, in addition to providing support to the locals.
- As an eco-friendly tourist, you should opt to stay in the green hotels that are available across the city. Its positive production to use recyclable goods aids to affect the city by maintaining the pollution rate at a limit.
- You should always try to take the responsibilities of being a tourist by positively implying the ways to maintain the freshness of the environment.
- To explore all the attractive destinations in the city, you should consider using cars and buses that are available in the city.
- Use eco-friendly transportation like walking or bicycles to explore the short-distance localities inside the city. Make sure to organize your trip suitably so that it can assist you to perform the duty of an eco-friendly tourist.
- You should ensure to visit the local markets for food and lodging. This will aid to contribute positively to the economy of the locals. Besides, you must also taste the street foods served in the city lanes.
- Apart from exploring the major attractions of the city, you should visit the national parks to experience the wildlife that is reserved. Further, you can enjoy the beauty of nature in the widely spread environment of flora.
- Using local transport to explore the city will provide support to the transportation system in the city. Rented cars and taxis are some of the best options.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality of the city is considered to be safe. There are some regions where the pollution level keeps fluctuating; hence, necessary measures are required to control them. So, the government has taken vital steps to emit the harmful gases that come out from the engines of the vehicles used in the city. These gases are not only harmful to humans but also affect nature negatively. Further, they are even asking the public to eliminate high fuel-based gadgets for regular use, besides, the same is considered for the public transports.
The government is also working to keep the air quality level at a proper rate so that the city air remains good. Thus, various actions have been taken to decrease the amount of usage of such devices that causes more pollution. Also, the government is effectively working on the procedure to fulfill the target of controlling the pollution rate in the city. These authorities are repeatedly working to provide a better life in the city. With the help of these measures, they have managed to reduce pollution to a certain level. At the present date, the air quality, and pollution are very much in control. Therefore, you can plan a comfortable trip to Flores, Guatemala.
Respect the Culture
Flores Guatemala is considered as the safest place in the North of Petén, besides, being an ideal place for travelers. The culture of the city reflects strong Mayan and Spanish influences and continues to be defined as a contrast between poor Mayan villagers in the rural highlands, and the urbanized and relatively wealthy mestizo population, known as Ladinos in Guatemala, who occupied the cities and the surrounding agricultural plains. Guatemala also has a rich heritage of art and craft, which reflects the great culture of the city. The indigenous artists used to produce artwork using centuries-old pre-Columbian traditions. Therefore, the city has a large number of Guatemalan artists who produce work that reflects the influences of both indigenous and foreign art traditions. Guatemala has a diverse scene of music. The wind and percussion bands play religious music during the Easter-week processions and Lent. The Garifuna people who settled in Guatemala’s north-eastern Caribbean coast have their own folk and varieties of popular music. The Maya also have their distinct musical traditions. In recent times, the craze for rock music has earned a large audience in the country as a whole. Guatemalan art music has about five century’s old history. Marimba is the most commonly used folk musical instrument.
Top 10 Places to Visit
As known that Flores, Guatemala is one of the best cities that holds several sites of attractions and people love to visit over there. It is because there you will get some beautiful spots that have the most attractive views for your holiday trip. If you are really interested to know their names then just go through the ones which are mentioned below. • Ruinas de Uaxactun – Located in the Al Norte de Tilak, this is a small village in the middle of the Guatemalan jungle, with Mayan ruins on opposite sides of the village. The two sides of the town are separated by a large strip of land, which is an old landing strip. At one point Wrigley's Chewing Gum had used the trees in this area to make their gum, and the landing strip was from when they were set up there.
- Catedral de Flores – This is a beautiful Cathedral overlooking the colorful town of Isla de Flores. The Catedral is the heart of this small, round island in the middle of the lake. It is known for its beautiful colonial architecture and consists of thirty or more beautiful stained glass windows almost at ceiling height. Inside, there is the Black Christ by the altar. The biblical history and New Testaments are exceptional.
- Sitio Arqueologico Tayazal – Located in present-day Guatemala, Tayasal is a Maya archeological site. Tayasal is a corruption of Place of the Itza, which is originally a term used to refer to the core of the Itza territory in Petén. The name was applied in error to the archaeological site and originally applied to the Itza capital. But, now the name refers to the peninsula supporting both the archaeological site and the village of San Miguel. The site was occupied from the Middle Pre classic period through to the Late Postclassic. Now, the site is a protected national monument.
- Petencito Zoo – Located near Lake Peten Itza, this is an interesting place where you can get to view the animals from this region in a natural setting, especially the ones that are rescued animals. You will find a variety of species here.
- Tikal – It is located in the archaeological region of the Petén Basin which is now in northern Guatemala. Apart from being the ruin of an ancient city, which was likely to be called Yax Mutal, found in a rainforest in Guatemala, it is one of the largest archaeological sites and urban centers of the pre-Columbian Maya civilization. Situated in the department of El Petén, the site is part of Guatemala's Tikal National Park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Laguna Lachua – Located in the middle of Laguna Lachua National Park, this is a Calcite and sulfur lake. It is a refreshing oasis in the middle of a jungle, which remains free of villages and settlements. In addition, it holds High biodiversity of native plants and flowers. Laguna Lachua is one of Guatemala's most magnificent sights of natural beauty.
- Semuc Champey – This is one of Guatemala’s natural wonders and a natural monument in the department of Alta Verapaz in Guatemala, near the Q’eqchi’ Maya town of Lanquin. It consists of a natural 300 m long limestone bridge, under which the Cahabon River passes. On the top of the bridge, there is a series of stepped, turquoise pools, which are known for their popular swimming attraction.
- El Boqueron Canyon – This is an off-the-beaten-path, which is counted as the most beautiful of Guatemala's natural wonders. El Boquerón is a narrow limestone canyon with 180-meter gigantic walls that are covered in lush green vegetation.
- Quiriguá – Located on the Southeast coast of Guatemala, this archeological site of Quiriguá, was once a powerful kingdom during the Maya Classic Period. But after the death of King Uaxaclajuun Ub’aah K’awaiil, the city slowly begun to decline. Also, this is a historical and educational site to acquire more knowledge about Guatemalan history.
- Quetzaltenango (Xela) – This is the second-largest city in Guatemala and is located in the high in the Sierra Madres Mountain range. Known for possessing the authentic, real-life of Guatemala, this city is also known by its Maya name, Xelajú or Xela. In addition, it is also both the capital of Quetzaltenango Department and the municipal seat of Quetzaltenango municipality.
Above are the mentioned top ten tourist attractions, which you can opt to pay a visit while traveling to Flores (Guatemala). In addition, there are some other places in the city like parks and museums that you can consider checking out during your tour in the city. Here is a list of such places that you can explore.
• Mundo Petapa Irtra – Located at a distance from the Flores, this park lies in the Avenida Petapa in Guatemala City. It is a great amusement park designed for children. The surrounding has an open space and there are many food facilities available in this theme park. Even the adults can enjoy a wonderful time here.
• Xocomil – This is an award-winning amusement park located in Retalhuleu in Guatemala City, at a distance from the Flores town. This is also the biggest and the best aquatic park in Central America. It is a great place to visit with family and children. There are a lot of attractions as well.
• Ixpanpajul Nature Park – Located in the outer area of Flores, this national park is extensively stretched with dense forests and amazing landscapes. You can consider walking along the winding forest paths and cross a series of six suspension bridges. In addition, you can enjoy the view of the forest canopy and get the chance to come in contact with the flora and fauna of Guatemala. This part concludes at the top of the Miramás Hill, where you can admire the incredible view of Lake Petén Itzá.
• Estacion Biologica Las Guacamayas – This is named after the country’s endemic scarlet macaw and is an ecotourism-focused environmental research and conservation center. With the mission to preserve the natural and cultural heritage of Laguna del Tigre National Park in the Maya Biosphere Reserve of Petén, this center has an amazing rainforest to explore.
• Pacific Beaches of Monterrico and Paredon – This is an underdeveloped black sand beach that heads to Monterrico in the middle of a mangrove swamp. It is a pristine beach right on the coast and is known for the lapping ocean waves that are perfect for surfing. Further, there is a lesser developed village of Paredon, which has a beach that is more famous for its surf breaks along with a few surf schools and hostels setting up shop.
• Tikal National Park – Tikal’s ruins portray a glimpse of what life was like for the economically and politically important Maya city. Besides being a part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Tikal is also a place that is full of palaces, homes, and monuments. Most of the park is covered with forest and fauna. Therefore, you can expect to see spider monkeys, howler monkeys, variety of birds such as toucans, pizotes. And if you are lucky enough you can also get to see a jaguar.
• The Plaza Central Park – Located in the Plaza Mayor City Centre, Antigua in Guatemala City. This is a town square with tree-lined streets and old colonial buildings. With a popular gathering place for locals and tourists, this place offers various sittings for tourists, to sit and enjoy the surroundings.
• Museo del Islote Santa Barbara – This islet is located to the west of Flores Island in Lake Petén Itzá. There is also a radio Petén. This small and enjoyable museum displays a collection of Mayan objects from the nearby ruins, which will help you to gain knowledge about the Mayan culture and lifestyle.
• Museo Miraflores – This is an archaeological museum located in Guatemala City. It is dedicated to the display of artifacts from the ancient Maya city of Kaminaljuyu. This museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday. You can visit this museum to know about the Mayan way of living.
From the Mayan times, corn continues to be the staple food of Guatemala, which was made into tortillas that were served warm and were wrapped in clothes. Another Mayan food, the black beans, is also consumed by the locals, usually at every meal. They are prepared in a variety of ways starting from refried ones to mashed and even eaten simply as a whole. Other staples of this city include rice, eggs, and cheese. Being a part of Central America, this city also offers a variety of dishes made from beef, chicken, and turkey. These meats were usually served with beans and rice along with prepared roasted, grilled, or fried ones. They were also used to prepare stews. Pepian is a thick stew made with meat and vegetables. It is especially common in Antigua. The city also serves delicious seafood that is found on the coasts and is prepared in roasted, grilled, or fried forms in addition to a variety of spices. Another popular dish is the Churrasco, which is a charcoal-grilled center-cut beef tenderloin steak. Chiles Rellenos is a dish made with roasted fresh green Anaheim, poblano or pasilla chili pepper stuffed with melting cheese and meat made up of diced pork, raisins, and nuts. In addition, it is covered in an egg batter and fried. It is often served in a tomato sauce.
Platanos, also known as plantains, are a less sweet category of the banana and can be part of every meal for the locals of the city. But, when they are harvested in raw form, they work as an alternative to the potatoes in meals. Further, they become more delicious when mashed and fried in round pieces, in addition to a lightly sprinkled salt for flavor. This preparation is called tostones. When they get ripe, they are used to make delicious desserts, possibly baked with milk, sugar, and cinnamon. The city also has a variety of fruits and vegetables that help to maintain a proper diet. Options such as fresh bananas, mangoes, yucca, papayas, and plantains are available almost throughout the year.
Traditional Local Restaurants
• La Casa de Enrico Restaurant – This restaurant is located in the Calle la Union, Callejon la Libertad Ciudad Flores Petén in El Callejon Del Hotel Sabana, Flores. It is known for serving fusion and Central American cuisines. The flavors of both traditional and fusion dishes make a delicious and fresh quality that attracts loads of customers. Further, it has a calm and pleasant and ambiance with the beautiful view of Lake Petén Itzel. The price is quite pocket-friendly and the staffs are attentive at their work, besides having a friendly nature. It is a great place to try regional cuisine along with the local dish of Guatemala.
• Restaurant La Villa del Chef – Known for serving Caribbean, Seafood, Guatemalan, South American cuisines along with vegetarian food options, this restaurant is situated in the Calle la Union Petén in Flores. The location is set to dive into a fascinating lake view with a comfortable ambiance and salsa music. You can opt to try out some of its delicious foods like the Garifuna salad and the shrimp skewers, burritos, pasta dishes, white fish dishes, nachos with guacamole, and others. The reasonable price and quality food make this place quite popular in the town.
Vegetarian and Vegan
• Los Amigos Restaurant – Located in Calle Central in Flores, Guatemala, this restaurant is known for serving vegan and gluten-free food options. The Indian, Guatemalan, and Latin cuisines served here are quite popular in the town. The atmosphere is quite relaxing with good music and friendly staffs. Being surrounded by the gardens, this place has beautiful set up. The food served here is full of flavors and even available at reasonable prices. You will get various options on the menu starting from food to drinks.
• Achiote – This vegan restaurant is located in the Avenida La Reforma in Flores, Guatemala and serves Guatemalan, Central American, International dishes. With clam and decent ambience, this place is among the most visited restaurant in the town. They serve great food options at an affordable price. You can prefer this place for enjoying the meals with your family and friends. The staffs are of jolly nature and work attentively.
The city is famous for serving great street foods that involve Guatemalan cuisine. With an amazing combination of Mayan traditions with colonial influences and inspirations, Guatemalan cuisine provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy a memorable food adventure. Pupusas are small round disks, made with cornmeal or rice flour and are filled with various ingredients like beans, cheese, and pork scratching. It is mainly a stuffed paratha that is best served with tomato salsa or curtido (a spicy cabbage slaw). To enjoy every bite and flavor, it is traditionally eaten with bare hands. Another famous street food is the Dobladas, which is a combination of Maseca (corn flour), chili powder or cayenne pepper, cheese, and cilantro. You can prefer to eat it with beans and scrambled eggs for breakfast and with salad and soup for lunch. Chuchitos is a traditional Guatemalan-style delicious dish, which is made of warm corn masa dough that is filled with pieces of meat like chicken or pork, in addition to chili sauce and mild tomato sauce. Further, grated cheese is added to the top to enhance the flavor. Other famous street foods of the city are Guatemalan tacos, Rellenitos, Elotes, Tostadas, Garnachas, Chiles Rellenos, Enchiladas, etc.
Guatemala has a rich history of beverages. Hence you will find a wide variety of beers, spirits, and non-alcoholic drinks. One is the Gallo beer, which is a cultural force in Guatemala. With the medium-strength lager, it is the country's oldest continually brewed beer and is quite popular among the locals. Another famous drink is the Dorada, which is a pale lager produced in Guatemala's capital. There are varieties of Dorada that include Dorada Draft and Dorada Ice. Another favorite beer of Guatemalans is Victoria. It has medium-intensity pale lager and is made by the producers of Gallo and Dorada. The taste is slightly sweet with notes of grain that can refresh you on a hot day. Guaro is a liquor distilled from sugar cane available in the city. It is fiery with a slightly sweet taste and can be served as a shot or in a cocktail. The city also serves the world’s best rums. The brand named Zacapa Centenario is an award-winning rum made in eastern Guatemala. Limonada con soda is a must-try beverage, especially on a hot day. It is made of freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice with added sugar and carbonated mineral water. Another Guatemalan drink is a delicious blended fruit smoothie known as Licuados. It is made of milk, yogurt, or water, and any fruits like watermelon, banana, papaya, mango, pineapple, cantaloupe, or guanabana, and sugar. Sometimes orange juice is also added. Other drinks available in the city are coffee, Picocita, atole, etc.
The tap water in Flores (Guatemala) is unsafe to drink. If only you are staying in one of the larger hotels in the city, you can prefer to drink the tap water there as they have their own purify system. But it is recommended to ask the hotel staff before using it for drinking. At times like this, you are suggested to use bottled or mineral water that is easily available across the city at a reasonable price. Further, drinking bottled water will help you to stay away from diseases that can occur while traveling and drinking tap water.
• Cool Beans Café – Filled with the aroma of coffee beans, this café is located in the Calle de Septiembre in Flores. Apart from serving a great cup of coffee, this café also provides a good food menu including Guatemalan dishes. With a great ambiance and beautiful surroundings, this is an amazing spot to relax. Can opt to visit this place to enjoy eateries for breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch, and even drinks. With a decent price and friendly atmosphere, it is a wonderful place to spend time with friends and family.
• Café Uka – Located in the Calle Centroamerica, this café serves a great breakfast, lunch, and brunch menu with the options of Guatemalan and South American cuisines. With a beautiful and pleasant atmosphere, you can enjoy a sip of amazingly made coffee. The employees are very respectful and polite. The price is fair too. Hence, you can visit this place with your family and enjoy the calm surroundings with the delicious eateries offered here.
Antigua Brewing Company is located in the colonial town of Antigua, this microbrewery brings together Guatemalan and ex-pat beer experts who work together on small batches. They are found on the same street as the famous arch in the center of town. Moza is the dark beer, which is made by the Cerveceria Centro Americana, Guatemala’s national brewery and the company behind the ubiquitous Gallo lager. Further, Moza is more interesting than the standard Gallo, when served with a hint of chocolate and coffee. There are several breweries across the country that brew beer and supply it to the many cities in the country.
The city and its nearby locations are not popular for holding on to the rich culture and heritage of the country, but also is known for various activities that can be conducted here. The Laguna Lachua is one of the most incredible places to visit in Guatemala. Hiking might be necessary to reach the Laguna Lachua Lake, which is covered with extensive flora and fauna. Further, you can opt to swim in this lake on a hot day to cool yourself after a long hike journey. Next, you can visit the El Mirador, which is the highest viewpoint in Semuc Champey. You can hike to the summits and get some of the best views of the pools, along with the green rainforests and mountains that surround them. Further, you can go swimming in the Semuc Champey pools. Some of the pools here are deep enough for diving, so you can find a rocky cliff and jump into the refreshing water of the pools and create an unforgettable memory. If you are an experienced hiker, then you can opt to hike the summit Volcano Acatenango, which is considered one of the toughest hikes in Guatemala, due to the sheer steepness of the volcano. In addition, you can see the nearby incredible view of an active Volcan Fuego along with enjoying the beautiful sunrise over the Volcan Fuego. Hiking to the top of Pacaya is the best way to experience the volcano. Also, Roasting marshmallows over the burning lava flow is a unique activity to do on Pacaya. But this might be dangerous for non-experienced ones. Hence, you can enjoy the horse riding that can be taken to the summit. You can also prefer to enjoy the boat tours that are offered by the locals that live around the El Boqueron Canyon, besides, swimming through the shallow waters is the best way to experience the El Boqueron Canyon.
Yoga and Retreats
There are a number of yoga retreats in Flores (Guatemala) that can help you to keep your mind relaxed and aid you to restore the energy that you lost after great exploration around the city. These yoga sessions are held every day, in addition to other healing retreats. Therefore, you can consider taking part in some of them to feel more calm and energetic. Also, you can opt to practice meditation to get a peaceful mind as you traveled through the city. Besides, your mind and body will feel composed, after the constant scouting duration in the city. Many people visit this place to get medicinal treatment through yoga. Hence, do consider selecting the best yoga center available in the city depending on your requirements.
Accommodation is the most vital requirement, while to opt for traveling to different parts of the world. The options of accommodation that are offered by the city include green hotels, apartments, hostels, and guest houses. They are highly maintained and built with all necessities that can assist you with a place for your stay and help you to get relief from your tiredness, which is very important. As the city remains crowded with tourists, you will find accommodations ranging from expensive to reasonable ones. Therefore, you can choose according to your needs.
Green Hotels plays a positive role in the betterment of the city’s atmosphere. Hence, they are very much in demand, especially among eco-friendly tourists. Therefore, these hotels are widely available in the city and are known to provide all the basic facilities that any individual gets in an average hotel. The cost of these hotels is usually low or similar to the normal hotels. Other surplus charges depend on the premium amenities that you want to add on apart from the ones offered by the hotel management. Some of the well-known green hotels that you can select for your stay in the city include:
- Hotel Casona del Lago
- La Posada De Don Jose
- Hotel Isla de Flores
- Hotel Casona de La Isla
- Hotel Villa del Lago
- Hotel Casazul
Hostels and Guest Houses
These lodging systems are highly suitable for the ones, who are planning to stay in the city for several weeks. The hostels and guest houses available in the city are quite affordable, besides, it provides nearly every facility that you would get in an average hotel. Therefore, you can check various options as per your preference on the online platforms before making any reservations. Here is a list of some of such top lodging options that you can consider and compare for your safe stay.
- Casa de Grethel
- Los Amigos Hostel
- Hostal Don Cenobio
- Zapote Tree Inn
- Cheapy Hostel Flores
- Green Monkey Hostel
If your lodging duration is of more than a month, the apartments would be the best option of accommodations. You can freely stay in the city for business purposes or for study as these lodging options are available on a rental basis. Besides, being ranging from low to high cost depending on the locations, they provide all the required facilities. Therefore, you should consider booking an apartment beforehand to avoid last moment troubles. There are some rental apartments available in the city. They include:
- Casa Itzayana
- La Terraza Hostel
- Villa Maya
- Loft Equipped Apartment
Couchsurfing is a temporary stay with a group of locals, who will assist the tourists with the services of offering them shelter and food during the visit to their home town. Hence, it is the best option to get accommodation for the one who doesn’t want to spend much on lodging as it aids the traveler to save money and explore the culture more attentively. Besides being low in cost, the tourists will get nearly all the facilities that are required. It will be a very beneficial one for the travelers as they will get to interact with the locals and get a brief account of the way of living of the locals. Further, it will also help you to learn the local language of the city and scout some of the untouched but amazing features of the city.
The city offers amazing campsites that are located at a distance from the main city. These campsites are something that you wouldn’t want to miss out on. Some of such campsites include places such as Ixpanpajul. The roads are filled with all sorts of natural beauty, flora, fauna, and other fascinating scenic views. Further, this campsite is quite comfortable and cozy too. Other campsites are situated in and nearby Guatemala City. This includes camping around Lake Atitlan, camping in Tikal and its surrounding areas, camping around various Mayan temples, and many more. You can select and book it according to your convenience and trip schedule to enjoy the more possible.
How to Get There
Travelling and modes of transportation in Flores (Guatemala) are well interlinked and highly maintained with comfortable facilities. Among which, the most suitable way to get in the city is through the means of airways. Further, if you are traveling from the nearby cities you can prefer railway lines as well. As the city has a great extension of maintained roadways, the facility to travel through roads is also good as they are interlinked with several other routes leading to the lanes and streets. You can prefer to travel by bus and cars as well. Also, you can opt for taxis to cover the distance inside the city. Being an island city, it also serves with the facility of boats and ferries.
Mundo Maya International Airport located just outside Flores is the only other international airport in the country aside from Guatemala City. Both TAG and TACA Airlines run daily flights from Guatemala City. Tropic Air also offers an inexpensive option from Belize City in a light aircraft, which flies low providing amazing views of the rainforest. They have daily flights from Philip Goldson International Airport to Flores.
If you are traveling from nearby cities, then bus routes are considered to be the best ones. Buses from Guatemala City and Belize City as well as various other destinations from all over the country, stop at the Fuente del Norte bus station in Santa Elena, which is at a distance of a five-minute auto-rickshaw ride across the causeway from Flores Island. The fare of this mode of transport is low as compared to the airlines.
There is no train service available in the city. You can opt for other modes of transport to reach Flores. The best-suggested one is to use the buses that extensively routes in and around the city.
Taking a lift while on your way to reaching a particular destination has become common across the world. This is called hitchhiking. It is an effective means of traveling when you are opting to reach nearby locations at a minimal cost or sometimes, at free of cost. The city provides the facility of taking a lift from the passer-by who is heading towards the same locations as yours. Also, traveling through this mode of transport will assist you to gain a fascinating experience and help you to meet new people too. Besides, you can cover the nearby distance with a comfortable ride and in short time duration.
There are also tourist shuttles that offer direct door-to-door service starting from Flores to Cobán at a limited price. The road from Cobán is very scenic besides being a smooth paved ride all the way, though windy for about an hour out of Coban. If you are traveling from Lanquin, Aventuras Turisticas has a shuttle that will drop you in the center of Flores in about 8 hours with a decent price fare. You can easily find them on the road out of the center-right before El Retiro. There are chances that you can book the same shuttle bus at your hostel for a slightly higher price. Besides, they might provide the facility of air conditioner ones, though the chance is very less.
Getting an idea about the various types of transportation that run in the city will help you get familiar with transport services available in Flores (Guatemala). Therefore, the city provides you several options to visit the interior of the city. Being a tourist, you should use your mind cleverly so that you can spend less time and get the chance to explore more. Hence, you can opt for transport services like bicycles, auto-rickshaws, vans, etc.
Walking is the most common way to get around, and circling the whole island takes about 15 minutes. It is an easy walk to Santa Elena and San Benito from Flores. Also, it is one of the best ways of traveling when you want to explore the nearby market areas without missing anything. Further, this mode of traveling is completely eco-friendly. This also helps you to understand the culture of the city as you come across the localities and meet the locals while shopping through the paths of the market.
Bikes or bicycle routes are commonly available in the city. You can opt for covering nearby areas or for fun to ride it in the morning.
The city is planning to introduce electric cars in the coming years. They are also assisting to establish charging stations in various regions to make the running of these electric cars smooth and effective.
There are direct tourist buses that you can book directly from Semuc Champay or Lankin. Buses service like Autobuses del Norte, Linea Dorada, and Fuente del Norte provides various bus facilities. These facilities include a first-class bus that provides drinks, snacks, an air conditioner, and toilets too. The second class buses available in the city are older Pullman coaches without air conditioning and are of low price.
Tram, Train and Subway
The city provides tram routes that connect various regions of the city including some of the tourist attractions as well.
The facility of sustainable shopping is highly offered by the city. Hence, you will get several stores and shops that sell various unique items, which you can consider buying as a memory of the city, and other gift items for your loved ones.
The food market of the city is spread widely. You will also get a wide range of seasonal produce including an excellent variety of fruits and vegetables. The city also holds meat and fish markets, where you will get a variety of meats and fishes. The night food market along the western waterfront is one of the best places to grab dinner or a snack in Flores, Guatemala. Here, you will get a variety of eateries such as tostadas, tamales, tacos dorados, and many more.
Chichicastenango is home to the largest market in Central America. It is located in the Guatemalan Highlands and is held mainly on Thursday and Sunday. It is popular for selling vibrant textiles and colorful crafts. The shops and stalls laid out into the street are known for selling everything ranging from fresh produce to pottery to livestock. Other markets located in Guatemala are El Carmen Market, La Aurora Handicraft Market, Friday’s Market, etc.
Second Hand Stores
There are few thrift stores located in Guatemala, where you can get a big collection of used books, souvenirs such as traditional masks and wood carvings, and many more. So, try to visit these markets to supports the locals of the city.
The city serves various stores and shops that sell eco-fashion clothes. The wide usage of raw materials obtained from organic plants along with the extensive use of natural dyes is considered to be a part of the manufacture of sustainable clothes. These clothes are very much in demand, hence, many fashion brands are opting for this eco-fashion business. These clothes positively affect the environment and help to maintain an eco-friendly atmosphere.
Flores (Guatemala) is effectively working on several measures that can assist to recycle waste products. This helps to minimize the toxins level that can be harmful to the environment as well as humans. The by-products are collected extensively and send for the monitoring process. After the process ends they are turned into new usable products. This makes recycling an effective way to preserve nature.
The Municipality of Guatemala City manages Guatemala City’s sewage services. They use garbage trucks to collect the wastes from the different regions of the city. Further, these wastes are treated that helps in the waste management program effectively. The collection of this waste helps to keep the city clean and free from impurities. These trucks are even used to clean up the highly polluted lakes in Guatemala.
Work and Study Abroad
The city offers a good scope of conducting work in the city and the nearby locations. The facility of various educational programs is also provided for the locals as well the foreigners. Hence, both work and study abroad opportunity is assisted by the city serves as a good opportunity for the future of the people.
An exchange student program is highly served by the city and provides an effective way of education for foreign students across the countries. This program offers various education options at the college fees that are proved to be beneficial for foreign students to boost their skills. Further, they help to acquire the courses that provide various suitable paths to set the career.
The options of au pair in the city are quite helpful for the people who came to earn a living in Flores (Guatemala). It is a source of income that involves working for a host family in a foreign country or city to get money in return. This helps the outsiders to earn a living in the city. Sometimes, the host family offers a place to the worker for their stay. Hence, this is an effective method for the ones who are looking for an alternative to survive in the city before settling down properly.
Volunteering is quite popular across the city. Many people love to invest their time in caretaking and doing other additional activities that can be beneficial for society. These programs involve volunteering for noble causes without getting paid for the work done.