Eco-friendly travel guide to Fuengirola advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Fuengirola, Spain.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$55 - $95
- Budget per day: US$104 - $200
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Fuengirola is a seashore town in Costa del Sol, Spain. It is located between Malaga and Marbella and it is very popular for its beautiful beaches and parks. This town is perfect for your next vacation with your family or friends. Along with that, this town has a water park, a zoo, a mini amusement park, etc for the people who love to spend some fun time with their family and friends. There is a number of historical sites here that need your attention.
The nightlife of this town is very fascinating, you will be able to spend more time in Costa del Sol, as this place is very famous for clubbing and partying, and all age groups are welcomed. Here are a few guidelines for you to travel the town by fulfilling your duty as a responsible traveler.
- You should visit all the parks in the town. It will help you to stay close to nature and you can enjoy the beauty of nature as well. Visiting places where the crowd is less can be very beneficial in all aspects. By visiting these local parks you will be able to promote the economy of the country.
- You can choose your mode of transportation wisely. Try to avoid fuel-based vehicles and opt for bicycles or electric cars. This town can be explored by walking only, at least the inner part of the town.
- Opt for green hotels and guesthouses instead of any other regular hotels. This will help you to promote greenery and keeps the environment clean.
- Try to have your meals from the local restaurants; this will help the town to flourish more as you are contributing to the economy of the country by eating in local shops. This will also help you to save a lot of money.
- Try to shop from the local markets whether it’s food or clothes. The culture of this town can be seen perfectly in local shops only. You will not be able to find such kinds of stuff anywhere else. It will allow you to save more as these shops offer goods at a very low price.
Air Quality and Pollution
Fuengirola has a moderate temperature. The winters are rainy and summers are hot and sunny. From April to October is the best time to visit Fuengirola if you want to explore the inner town and from June to the middle of September is the best time to visit this place if you want to spend your holiday’s seating and chilling near the beach. Fuengirola is very famous for its beaches and historical sites. The air quality of Fuengirola is good and it is safe to visit this place any time of the year, with the change of season the quality varies.
It is always safe to carry some masks or tools to be on the safe side and you can also check the online weather sites before planning your trip to Fuengirola. This place is completely situated near the coastal area, so the sudden change in the weather is normal. The mornings of Fuengirola can be a little hot and evenings can be relatively cold so it is highly recommended for travelers to carry sweatshirts, masks, and medicines. You can always take the help of the internet to know the exact temperature of the particular area and plan your trip accordingly.
Respect the Culture
The culture of a place is the most important factor in choosing a certain holiday destination. The summers in Fuengirola are full of festivals, dance, and music. During this period of time, they organize a mass beer party for all the locals and travelers. There are numbers of fun activities here to do especially in summers; you will be able to witness the culture of the city to its fullest. Museums and historical sites are very much loved by the tourist around the world; in fact, people plan for Fuengirola to visits these historical sites only. If you want to know more about the culture of the city then you should visit these places to watch theatrical performances, musical shows, speeches, and exhibitions.
The international faire and the international faire of the villages are festivals celebrated by the locals here, which you can attain in the month of April, May, and September. However, the culture of a place is something that attracts travelers around the globe and this place is perfect for you whether you are traveling with a group of people or alone. You should definitely take part in these festivals to make your trip even more memorable.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Fuengirola is a lovely holiday destination for most of the tourists and that too from different parts of the world. Tourists love to come here and want to get some of their best experiences. But if you are interested to make your holiday trip more exciting then just visit these 10 places.
- Bioparc Fuengirola- Start your journey with this lovely zoo and get to see some famous wild animals. It would be great and you will also see something which you might have never seen before. But if you miss it then nothing is going to work out and you will blame yourself.
- Castillo Sohail- After the zoo, you can go to this castle and know how the enemies invaded the kingdom of the Spanish. It has a very brief history that might leave you awestruck and fulfill your dreams. Instead of having any second thoughts just try it out and see how extraordinary it is.
- Fuengirola Central Mosque- You can also visit this lovely mosque which has very beautiful architecture. And the most surprising thing is that it spreads half of the city area. Just come here and experience the most wonderful thing of your life which was beyond your imagination.
- Parroquia de Nuestra Señora del Rosario- If you are willing to fulfill all your wishes then this church is the right place for you. So come here and pray from your true heart as soon as possible. By doing it your wishes will be definitely fulfilled within very a short span of time.
- Monumento a la Peseta- As the name suggests it is a monument that was built in the early 18th century. Just come here and you will get to know some interesting facts about that period. So try not to miss it because this opportunity might not come again and again.
- Alborán Explorer, The Dolphin Boat- Do not go by its name because in this boating experience you cannot see any dolphins. It takes you on the whole city tour and gives you a very nice joyride. Go for it and see how you get absorbed into its nice adventure.
- Mijas Water Park- You can call it a Spanish aquatic center where you will get various types of water slides. They are good for your kids and besides them, you will also enjoy them. This is a must-visit because a place like this is nowhere there in any other cities of Spain.
- Pico Mijas- There is not so much information about this place but you can at least make it a try. From here you can get a very nice view of the whole city and feel the most precious thing. Make a note of this place and make it a very important one in your travel diaries.
- Museo de la Ciudad- People refer to this place as a museum but in simple words, it is a historic center. It is responsible for promoting the cultural heritage of this city and also has some special features. In the beginning, you may find it uninteresting but later on, you will understand it.
- Miramar Centro Commercial- Last but not least, is that you can visit this shopping mall and buy some latest fashion wears. They are available at a cheaper rate and you would be eager to buy them. Rather than thinking of anything just try them and discover yourself in a modern style.
Now when it comes to exploring the city of Fuengirola then these 10 places are not enough. You have to come out of them and visit some other places like city parks and museums. So in this part of the article, we will tell you about those places only.
- Canino Fuengirola Park- This park is awesome and here you can come for a nice morning walk. It would be great exposure and you can have a lot of fun-filled activities. Never say no to it because this place is beyond your words.
- Parque del Sol- It is a children's park which is meant for kids between the ages of 6-10 years. Here they can explore some famous rides like slides and seesaws. Bring your kids over here and give them some amazing thrill which they have never thought of earlier.
- Sould Park- Here you can come with your family and have a nice picnic with them. After doing it you will have some splendid moments of this beautiful place which you will remember throughout your life. No one misses it because it is more than wonderful and lovely.
- Playa de Fuengirola- This beach is fascinating and here the water is pure and salty. Visit here for a bath and get to explore something very new and different. But missing it is never an option because it can make all your desires real.
- Playa de Santa Amalia- It is not meant for bathing but here you can find some seashells and corals. After seeing them you would feel like collecting them and using them as your showpiece. It is magnificent and will leave you with a feeling of wow.
Unfortunately, you will not get any famous landmarks in the city of Fuengirola. But do not worry because the museums would be its right example because they are brilliant.
- Museo de la Ciudad- In this museum, you can get some famous artifacts and sculptures of ancient materials. Just look at them and you would want to know more and more about them. And after coming here you will feel like recommending it to everyone.
- Escultura- It is a gallery cum museum where you would get the most popular paintings by famous Spanish artists. They are the finest ones and can teach you a lot of things. You might not be an art lover but after coming here you will definitely become fond of it.
Food is very important no matter where you are, this is an essential part of everyone’s life. What would be better than having completely different cuisines and tasty dishes which are available in a particular place? There are varieties of foods available in Fuengirola which you can try as your trip is incomplete without it. There are a number of restaurants and local shops proving the varieties of foods you need. The prices are very reasonable and the quality of the food is outstanding. You should definitely include the street foods of Fuengirola. This place is famous for its food and beaches.
When it comes to food, you should try the fried fishes here. The varieties of fishes are available, you can choose from the menu and it is easily available in all the restaurants and shops. All the dishes made of seafood are the authentic and traditional dishes of Fuengirola which you should definitely try while you stay in this town. Cuttlefish stew; potatoes with steak, clams, and noodles, etc are some famous foods of Fuengirola.
Traditional Local Restaurants
The dishes which you normally eat in your hometown is something you can have again, but trying the traditional food of the different places is what makes your trip complete. Every traditional dish has a story and culture behind it and you will be able to witness only when you will have your meals from local restaurants. There are plenty of traditional shops in Fuengirola where you can find the best traditional food in the town. You can take the help of the internet to find a good traditional restaurant near your hotel where you are staying. Here are a few famous restaurants that offer traditional foods in Fuengirola.
- Meson Salvador - It is one of the most famous restaurants in Fuengirola which is very popular with travelers. This restaurant offers the best traditional food in the town at a very affordable price. The quality and quantity of food are satisfactory. You should try the seafood here along with Spanish tapas. This place is generally filled with locals and tourists all the time, so booking a table is highly recommended.
- Meson el torillo – The varieties of Spanish dishes are available here from the appetizers to the dessert. If you are planning to have a proper meal then you should definitely visit this place. The quality of the food along with the friendly staff is something which will light up your mood. The taste of the authentic traditional dishes wills surely suites your taste buds.
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are one of those travelers who love vegetarian or vegan foods more than anything than you are also welcome, with the varieties of vegan foods this place has become everyone’s favorites. There are so many traditional vegetarian restaurants available in Fuengirola and you will get so many options to choose from so there is no need to worry about the foods here at all. Here are some vegan restaurants for which are very popular among travelers.
- La Libelula Vegan Cafe – This place serves the best vegan foods in the town. The prices and portion of the food are very good. You will be able to get a mixture of different vegan cuisine here. This place is highly rated by the customers for the services and friendly environment.
- My Lola Vegan Food - This place is highly recommended for fast-food lovers. The vegan burgers and onion rings are their famous and fast-selling dishes here. They offer varieties of sauces which you should definitely try. Along with the fast-food, this place is famous for its traditional vegan dishes as well. You must visit My Lola Vegan Food once when you are in Fuengirola.
Street foods are something which you can get from the local street vendor and the taste of such foods is no match to any of the existing restaurants in Fuengirola. Some of the vendors sell their food items by traveling from one place to another. Finding a good street food stall can be challenging but you can take the help of the locals to find the best street food stall for yourself. These foods are very delicious and affordable that you can spend a few days having street foods only. Buying foods from local vendors will help the economy of the place to grow stronger. This is the best you can do for your favorite holiday destination as an eco-friendly traveler. Clams, noodles, cuttlefish stew, etc are some famous street foods of Fuengirola.
To keep yourself hydrated and fresh you need to drink plenty of water and energy drinks. When you are traveling you need to be fit and fine in order to explore more places. This particular place offers the best drinks in the world, from hard drinks to soft drinks; you will be able to get all sorts of drinks here. There are varieties of alcoholic drinks available and there is a beer festival that happens once a year which is very famous, you can drink as much as you want during this festival. The cocktails and mocktails are very refreshing and colorful and available in all shops. Beaches here are full of these local shops serving varieties of drinks to their customers. There are a number of discos bars or restaurants nearby. While staying in Fuengirola you should definitely try their traditional drinks which you will not be able to find anywhere else.
The tap water is safe to consume idly however the quality of the water is hard. If you have a delicate stomach then you can use filtered water or boiled water. The hard water can be harsh to your skin so you can choose places where a water softener is available. The locals of this place are habituated with the climatic condition and the water quality here hence there is no problem for them but you should choose according to the capacity of your body. Packaged drinking water is available at every corner of this place and you will be able to find water purifiers at every restaurant and hotel in Fuengirola. You can carry your own bottles and refill them with any of the local shops nearby. Just to be on the safe side if you are not fond of tap water then you can boil it for ten to fifteen minutes before having it.
If you are one of those travelers who love to have organic foods during your trip then again these place has options for you. Eating organic will help you to stay healthy during your entire trip and it is best for the environment to eat less meat-based foods. You don’t need to worry a lot about finding an organic café in Fuengirola as this place has plenty of such cafes. You just need to find a perfect one for yourself. Most of the cafes here are less expensive and the food option is vast. Here is a list of cafes which are very popular among locals and travelers both.
- Café Nomad
- Jazzy bar
- Lorena Café
- Scoffer’s café
Alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks are very famous in Fuengirola, there are varieties of these drinks available here and you should try all the drinks once. If you love alcoholic drinks then you should visit these places at the time of the beer festival, along with beer you will be able to get other strong drinks as well. If you are a coffee lover then you should definitely visit these breweries while you stay in the town. The charges may vary according to the breweries you choose but most of them are affordable or reasonable. You can spend a peaceful evening in these breweries with your loved ones by enjoying the freshly brewed coffee or chilled beer. Here are some best breweries in Fuengirola.
- La ola Brewing
- Munchies smokehouse and bar
- Bar Belga
Fuengirola is full of surprises as there are countless things which you can do here. Bioparc is a place which you can visit with your family or friends. This park allows you to see animals but the animals are not cages. This is the best example of maintaining a balance of nature. This place is very vast and needs an entire day to roam around. You will be able to find a variety of animals and reptiles here. This place is very popular in summers, and people call it a moonlight visit as there are few nocturnal animals present here which can only be seen at night because they use to sleep during day time. Water sports are very fascinating here and your trip is incomplete without it.
Fuengirola has its own marine-based sports. There are many companies providing tubing, parasailing, wakeboarding, and water skiing to tourists. These are considered as one of the best water sports which are only available in Fuengirola. Fuengirola is a place for beach lovers and nature lovers you can take part in these fun activities and also get yourself enrolled in some of the interesting courses as well. Attending yoga classes for a few days can be very helpful for your health and mental peace.
Yoga and Retreats
When you are traveling you are on the constant move, this can be tiring sometimes, your body needs relaxation too. Yoga is the best solution to feel relaxed. You can take a break from city life and attend yoga classes for some time. Fuengirola is a place where people around the world come to see the beaches and mountains. It would be a great place to perform yoga, you can even do yoga near the beaches in the early morning when the crowd is low. There are multiple yoga centers in the town, you can choose according to your preference. You can also get online yoga classes at a very affordable price.
The very first thing a traveler looks for is a place to stay in an unknown destination. The prices of the hotels or guesthouses fluctuate every month depending on the rise and fall of the demand. You will be able to find all sorts of hotels in Fuengirola from the luxurious hotels to the cheap guesthouse. Fuengirola is a very famous tourist spot and the accommodation facilities of this place are excellent, you will find most of the hotels near the beaches which makes it even more attractive. Being an eco-friendly traveler you can also choose from the green hotels of this town. It will allow you to reduce pollution and the prices of such green hotels are relatively low as compared to the regular hotels. Here are a few hotels in Fuengirola that offer the best services to their customers.
- Hotel Yaramar
- Hotel Angela
- Hotel Monarque Torreblance
- Ilunion Fuengirola
We already know how beneficial is green hotels for travelers and for the environment as well. The aims of these hotels are to use recyclable goods and foods with fewer meat dishes and more vegetable or vegan dishes. Green hotels are very popular all over the world; people are very fond of such hotels. The cost of living here is very less and the facilities are very good just like any other hotel. It allows you to reduce the amount of waste production. Here are some best green hotels in Fuengirola which can make your trip even more memorable.
- Hotel IVP Palace and Spa
- Florida Spa
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels and guest houses are for people who want to stay for a long period of time. Fuengirola has a variety of hostels and guesthouses for tourists. The facilities provided by these hostels and guest houses are similar to any of the other hotels in the town. There are different price ranges depending on the facilities provided by the hostels and guesthouses, you can choose according to your budget. If you want a simple one then there are options and if you want a luxurious one with a private swimming pool then there are options. These guesthouses are perfect for you if you want to stay here for about a month or more. Here are some of the best guesthouses and hostels of Fuengirola from which you can choose a perfect one for yourself.
- Hostel Andante
- El Postillon Rentals
- Boutique X
Renting an apartment is like looking for a second home in a different location. If you are willing to stay in Fuengirola for more than three months then an apartment can be the best option for you. It will allow you to save a lot of money as compared to the hotels. All the basic facilities are available here; you will get a kitchen area where you can cook your own foods. The apartments use to have all the basic facilities like cleaning tools, utensils, laundry facilities, etc.
Living in an apartment will allow you to stay close with the locals, you might find a local of this town as your neighbor and this will help you to know about their culture deeply. You can even learn the local language and become an expert in it by the time you leave. You can also witness the lifestyles of the locals by living in an apartment which can help you to know about the lifestyle of the town. Some of the best apartments in Fuengirola are:
- Apartamentos La Jabela
- Vegasol-Playa Apartamentos Fuengirola
- Stella Maris Apartments
Couchsurfing is a modern way of living in the city and it will help you to save a lot of money. Couchsurfing is for the people who can stay in the homes of other travelers when they visit their hometown, in return, you will get food to eat a place to sleep for a few days. No couch surfing can last more than a week as this is the limit. Couch surfing is not meant for long-term stays. This also helps you to know about the city, as the locals can guide you better than anyone else. You can collect all the necessary information and travel to the city according to your will. You can also know about the places to eat and drink in the city through couch surfing.
If you are a nature lover and love to stay in the mountains or open sky then camping in Fuengirola will be a great idea. Most of the camps are placed in such places from where you can witness the beauty of the city. Fuengirola is a place for beach and hills lovers and you will be able to get multiple locations for camping here. All these locations are perfect to have beautiful scenery of the city along with that these sites are surrounded by greenery, fresh air and so much more. The basic facilities are always available in any of these camps like food, electricity, etc.
How to Get There
Fuengirola is blessed with all the transport facilities including taxis, trains, airways, waterways, etc. While planning for this trip you need to find a perfect suitable mode of transport for yourself. Travelers from other countries mostly preferred flights to reach n Fuengirola. If you are traveling from any other part of Spain then there are other options as well. You need to choose according to your budget and the amount of time you have to spend your holidays. Flights can be the most expensive mode of traveling as compare to the others but it is not compulsory to travel through airways. If you are somehow near to the place then opting for a taxi or train can be considered.
Airways are the easiest, fastest, and comfortable mode of travel. It is well connected with all the parts of the world and you can easily book a flight from anywhere to Fuengirola. This can be expensive as compare to the other mode of traveling but it has its own facilities which you will not be able to get anywhere else. It allows you to save some time which you can utilize for other important things. Now, there is a number of airlines that offer different deals on air tickets. You can take the help of the internet to find the best deal on booking tickets for yourself. The prices of the tickets vary and it completely depends on the airline you choose.
On the other hand, buses can be your cheapest option to reach this place and also to explore Fuengirola. The routes of buses in Fuengirola are very vast and it is well connected with most of the cities of Spain. If you are traveling from another part of Spain then you will have to use different options of traveling if you want to avoid air routes completely. Finding a perfect and fast mode of transportation depends on the location from where you are traveling.
Buses can be away a lot cheaper and it will allow you to enjoy the views of the countryside which is not possible if you are traveling by plane. You can book the tickets from the counter directly but booking in advance is highly recommended for long journeys, just to be on the safe side. You can also choose from the different companies of buses to travel according to the prices.
Trains are faster as compare to the buses. Journey through a train is always fascinating and wonderful. The train fares in Fuengirola are very cheap and the facilities are marvelous. You will be able to find trains almost every time throughout the day. If you are traveling from another part of Spain then the train can be an option for you. You might need to break your journey but traveling by train can help you to build a lot of memories on your way. However, you should book your tickets beforehand to avoid the waiting list.
Hitchhiking is another and the cheapest means of transport in Fuengirola. It is the most thrilling journey one can ever make. You need to find the busiest road of the city from where you can start your journey. Try to start your journey from the tolls; petrol pumps etc, where you can find maximum cars or trucks.
Apart from all the above-mentioned options, there are a few more. Renting a car or motorcycle can be a great idea if you are traveling from the other area. The inner part of the city can be explored by walking only.
Your journey depends on the modes of traveling you choose. You need to become clever while choosing, as you need to save money and time both while enjoying the beauty of the city. Here are some options just for you.
The best way to stay connected with locals and the culture of the city is traveling by walking. The market areas and the food markets can easily be explored by walking. The whole town is well maintained and footpaths are provided for the pedestrians which will help you to roam the city.
A bicycle can be a very good option as you can reach places which are not so famous yet fascinating. This will help you to maintain your health as well. You will be able to find so many companies here who are renting bikes for travelers which are super cheap.
Chargeable cars are very popular and highly used by travelers nowadays. You will be able to find so many companies and even the hotels where you are staying provides car facilities. There are recharge stations available all over the city.
Public buses can be used to travel the inside of the city and there are few buses which will allow you to cover the sight scene as well. The prices are very affordable and you can directly buy the tickets from the bus stations.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trams and trains facilities are available here that connects the entire Fuengirola from the outer areas. It would be a great experience for you to travel by tram as these facilities are very rare and not available in all the countries. The prices are affordable as well. There is no subway facility in Fuengirola.
Your journey is incomplete without shopping and Fuengirola has so much to offer to its travelers. Miramar Centro commercial, Parque Miramar, etc are some of the best places to shop in Fuengirola. You will be able to find all sorts of goods here from household kinds of stuff to clothing.
Food markets are places from where you will get to know about the culture of the city and the authentic food tradition. While exploring these markets you can have a bite at local shops and enjoy the tradition of the city.
If you are in need of some vintage goods from the city to add to your collection then Fuengirola has this facility as well. You will be able to get the best and rare items in the flea markets of Fuengirola at a very low price. Travelers are very fond of such vintage goods, so you should grab the items you like before they get sold out.
Second Hand Stores
It is quite possible to forget or lost your stuff when you are traveling. The second-hand store can be a lifesaver in such times. You will be able to get all sorts of goods here from clothing to household stuff at a very low price. Using such goods will help in the reduction of waste that helps the environment to stay clean.
Clothes or other wearable items made of fabrics that are eco-friendly are getting popularity in Fuengirola. People love to wear this type of clothes and there are multiple sellers who are selling such clothes in Fuengirola. You can try them when you are in Fuengirola.
If you want to keep your favorite destination neat and clean then try to recycle the items you have as much as you can. Try to recycle the bottles for drinking water as much as possible and try to use water for laundry and bathing just as much as needed. By doing this you are helping the city to stay free from pollution.
Being the favorite holiday destination, Fuengirola always faces a large amount of annual wastage. It is your duty to keep the city clean by reducing the amount of waste generated, to do so you need to use less plastic-based stuff and move towards recyclable goods.
Work and Study Abroad
Studying at Fuengirola can be very cheap compare to the other part of Spain. There are a number of jobs available in Fuengirola but you need to be aware of the Spanish language in order to get any job here. However, you will be able to find a few jobs that require only the English language.
An exchange student is very popular here as the educational facilities are very good and affordable. People around the world want to study in Spain just because of the great facilities and in Fuengirola, it’s all about the beautiful beaches and hills, that people want to study and work here. It is like a dream destination for studying and working in Fuengirola.
Au pair is the most preferable means of earning here for the travelers. You don’t need any educational degree for that, you just need to be aware of the household works. In exchange, the owners will provide you a room to stay in and food to eat. They grant some pocket money as well.
Volunteering is the best way to keep your favorite destination clean and eco friendly. Just try to volunteer for cleaning and educational work here.