Eco-friendly travel guide to Graz advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Graz, Austria.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$15 - $100
- Budget per day: US$50 - $600
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Graz is the second-largest city in the country having more than 300000 populations. This city is popular for its rich designs and creative scene. There is a museum for modern art which is called Friendly alien is something for which travelers around the world visit Graz. The infrastructure of the city is very eye-catching; the big building is well crafted and maintained. This place is known as the birthplace of dating in the roman age.
The nightlife of this city is thriving as the city is loaded with bars and pubs at every corner. You will not be able to find a place which is quiet here. Styrian cuisine is something you must try when you are in Graz. While exploring the beautiful architectural views of the city, you must follow a few guidelines to fulfill your duty as an eco-friendly traveler.
- Try to visit all the green parks in the city when you are in Graz. It will allow you to stay closer to nature while enjoying the cool fresh air.
- Try to have your meals from the local restaurants in the city. If not all the meals but at least one. This will help the economy of the city to grow stronger.
- The inner part of the city can best be explored by using public modes of transport. To avoid pollution try to opt for local buses or taxis here
- You can use green hotels for your stay instead of regular hotels; it will allow you to reduce the amount of waste generated.
- Buy all the necessary items for the small vendors and from the local shops to support the economy of the city.
Air Quality and Pollution
You should know the pollution rate in the city before you visit. If you know the condition you can take the precaution priorly. The air quality of this city is good and safe; you can make your plans at any time of the year. However, pollution increases a bit in the winter season. If you have a delicate respiratory system then you should take necessary precautions while traveling to Graz. Carry a mask or if you have any health issues like asthma then consult your doctor before visiting Graz.
Respect the Culture
The culture of Graz can be seen in the art and music of the city. The incredible architecture cannot be missed as they are the main highlight of the city. The culture of the city is the biggest attraction for tourists around the world. Styrian cuisine is like a paradise for food lovers. Pumpkin soup, verhackertes, etc are some famous Styrian cuisine; you must try them when you are in Graz.
The culture of this city is diverse and rich, which you can easily see through architecture, art, music, and others. This place is considered the best place for winter sports. You will get to do a lot of fun activities throughout the year. There is a street festival in the city which is very vast and fascinating, it happens in spring generally. If you are visiting Graz at this time of the year then make sure you attained this festival.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Graz is the best city in Austria where everyone loves to visit and feels like getting better satisfaction. But if you want to make your trip more exciting, then never miss these places. They are lovely and will give you an experience which you might have never thought of earlier.
- Schlosberg- This is a fortress located on the hilltop and has a reminiscence of the 10th century. If you visit here then you will get a very fine example of history which is there in the books. Just try it out and see how wonderful it is which can also be beyond any words.
- Eggenberg Palace - People praise this palace and always say some positive things about it. The reason behind it is that it has some famous Spanish portraits and paintings of the previous gods. Rather than having any second thoughts just come here for once and see how wonderful it is.
- Graz Cathedral - Believe it or not, but it is true that this church was constructed in the year 1438. It has very fine architecture and reminds you about the period of the early 14th century. Just go for it and get to see something very extraordinary and surprising.
- Graz Opera- If you love opera and ballet shows then this place is the perfect one for you. Here you will get some amazing shows and want to watch them again and again. But if you miss it then you would blame yourself and always regret about it.
- Rettenbachklamm- For all those who love to go hiking then this is the most suitable place. If you do it over here then it will give you a lot of adventure and make you feel wow. Therefore, try not to miss it because this chance may not come on your next trip.
- Karl-Franzens-Universität Botanical Garden - It is a botanical garden where you would get some fabulous flowers and plants. They are eye-appealing and can give you a fragrance which you have not got before. And after coming here you would like to recommend it to everyone.
- Mariahilferkirche - Do not go by its name because it is a church that surrounds half of the area. It is because the place is huge and has the longest architecture. You can come here and wish for the best thing which you desire in your life.
- Katharinenkirche und Mausoleum - This mausoleum is dedicated to those Spanish warriors who sacrificed their lives during the period of war. It has a brief significance which you will only know after visiting here. In other words, missing it is like missing the best part of your trip.
- Thaler - It is a lake where you can go and have a little bit of relaxation. Here you will also find some ducks and ducklings which are very beautiful. All you can do is to carry a piece of bread and feed them. This will give you satisfaction and you will enjoy it to the fullest.
- City Park - After your allover trip you can lastly try out this shopping mall. Here you get your clothes and fashion wears at a very valuable cost. In the beginning, you will think that they are nothing but later on, you would want to buy them.
So you have known about the places which are mentioned in the above section. But now when it comes to exploring the city of Graz then what will you do? The answer is simple to visit other places like some city parks and museums.
- Graz Park- This park is brilliant and has a lot of open spaces for playing outdoor games like football and cricket. Bring your children with you and play some of the finest games with them. It would be a moment to remember and you will never forget it in the future.
- Volksgarten- It is good for having a picnic with your family and making it your best memory. And the moment you do it you will get a lot of fun and happiness. Therefore never say no to it because afterward you will feel very bad and develop frustrations.
- Naherholungsgebiet Rosenhain- In this place, you would get a very calm ambiance and feel like getting absorbed into it. People call it boring but you have to come here on your own and then decide what it is. So, mark it as a very important place in your travel diaries.
- Hilmteich- If you have a habit of walking then this park is the best option for you. It has an eco-friendly atmosphere and you can also get a lot of joy over here. Without any doubt, we can say that it is an interesting place and leaves you awestruck.
You would not get any beaches in Graz as it is a landlocked city. But there are many nearby districts where you would get a lot of beaches and fulfill your holiday wishes. Till that time you can enjoy a famous landmark and some museums.
- Clock Tower- From this place, you can have a nice view of the whole city and get to see something very different. Try to explore it and you will see something which was beyond your imagination. You can also say that without this place your trip is incomplete.
- Kunsthaus- This is an art museum where you would get some famous artworks by some of the best artists. They are awesome and can make you feel something that was there only in your dreams. You will see that most of the tourists say positive things about it.
- Landeszeughaus- You will notice that this museum is spread all over the internet and has a great presence. It is for some of the big weapons which were used during those earlier days. Have a tour of this place and you will get a very fair knowledge about them.
Food is the most important part of any culture as it reflects the culture of the city and the varieties of choices of the locals. Graz is popular for its Styrian cuisine, Styrian foods are something you can have here only. The varieties of traditional dishes with a mixture of spices and meats are something you will miss when you are not in Graz. Scarlet runner bean salad, Styrian fried chicken, Styrian wine, Styrian beer, etc are famous foods and drinks of Graz which you should try when you are in Graz. There is a number of restaurants available all over the city from which you can choose your perfect place to eat but eating from the local shops in the city can help the economy of the country. As an eco-friendly traveler, you should opt for local shops for food and drinking.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Styrian tradition is something people love a lot, no matter which country they are from. Styrian foods are a treat for food lovers whether you are a vegan or non-vegetarian, you will get all sorts of foods here. The chefs here are very skilled and they know how to turn their best ingredients into traditional food in the city with a touch of international elocution. The prices are affordable no matter if you are eating in a local shop or five-star restaurant. But as a responsible traveler, you should eat from the local restaurants and shops as much as you can. Here are a few best restaurants in Graz for traditional local dishes.
- Landgasthof Riegerbauer- This is one of the best restaurants in Graz. You will be able to get your hands in almost all the traditional dishes of the city here. The staff is very friendly and helpful; you can communicate with them in English. Their dishes are displayed with the caption of the ingredients, that’s what makes it easy to understand what you are ordering.
- Caylend Restaurant – This place is best for its wine collection and foods. You will get the best Styrian cuisine here. This place is always filled with locals and tourists throughout the day and evening. However, booking in advance especially in the evening is highly recommended.
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are a vegetarian and love to eat vegan foods then no worries, Graz has all the facilities available for all types of tourists. Graz has many restaurants serving vegan foods and these restaurants are best at it. You can try the lovely vegan cuisine here; some of the best vegan restaurants in Graz are as follows.
- Swing Kitchen - This is a fantastic restaurant for vegan cuisines. This place is famous for its good portion of foods. Burgers, sweet potatoes, waffle fries, etc are some of its famous dishes. All the foods are made of fresh ingredients and flavorful with a delicious topping.
- Ginko – If you are looking for a buffet lunch or dinner then this place is best. Vegetarian dishes made of organic products are served here. There are huge varieties of vegan dishes available which is going to make you feel even healthier. This restaurant is entirely vegan and comes with a long list of vegan dishes. All the traditional dishes are available in this restaurant in vegan format.
Street foods are the heart of any city. You will be able to get the traditional culture and flavor of the city only when you are having your brunch or evening snacks from these street stalls. There is a food market in the center of the city where you can get a variety of traditional foods. There are a few local places to eat, where the food menu changes every day. Backhendl, kaferbohnensalat, sterz, verhackert, steirischer heidensterz, klachelsuppe, etc are some of the best Styrian cuisine street foods available here.
Graz is Austria’s culinary capital as it is surrounded by wine country and farmland from where it gets the supply of fresh vegetables and fruits. Cocktails, mocktails, alcoholic drinks, and fruit juices are made of these fresh ingredients that will definitely suit your taste buds. The drink is part of the Syrian culture and you will get a variety of options here. From alcoholic drinks to energy drinks, Graz is filled with all the flavors of nature. You should try these fruit juices made of the freshest ingredients in Graz. All these drinks are available all over the city, from the local shops to the five-star restaurants. You can choose according to your convenience.
Tap water in Graz is safe to consume idly. Quality of water is very important when you are in a different city so that you can plan your trip accordingly. Knowing the condition or quality of the water is important so that you don’t get sick during your trip. Tap water in Graz is safe and you can consume it idly. However the quality of the water is good when it comes after the sewage treatment plant, it can get polluted till the time it reaches the tap. You should always be extra careful when you are on a trip to an unknown location to avoid unnecessary hurdles. You need to stay fit in order to travel peacefully and joyfully. You can use filtered water or you can use tap water after boiling it for ten to fifteen minutes, just to be on the safe side.
Organic cafes are loved by the travelers a lot, it keeps you healthy and energetic throughout your journey. There is always a vast difference between a home-cooked meal and restaurant food. When you are traveling, you have no choice except to eat from a street stall or restaurant. Organic cafes can be an option to keep yourself hydrated and healthy by consuming foods and beverages made of organic products. Here are a few famous organic cafes in Graz.
- Café green house
- Café erde
Most of the breweries in Graz will serve you freshly handmade or machine-made beers. The taste of the beers in Graz is outstanding and it is a bit different from any other regular beer. You can even take a tour of the plantation of the beer or how they make it. They will allow you to see the whole procedure at once. However, there are no facilities for proving these tours on a regular basis but you can book in advance if you want to explore. Here are some best breweries in Graz which you should visit when you are in the city.
- Brewery Puntigam
- Hops craft beer pub Graz
Graz is known as the European capital of culture and city of design because it has the best historical areas in Europe. There are a lot of things to do in Graz, and you can start with Altstadt von Graz, it is a UNESCO world heritage site, and it attracts travelers around the world a lot every year. This site has well-protected Italian renaissance buildings which are very pleasant to watch. Graz is filled with this type of historical site all over the city.
You can attain the different festivals of Graz which take place at different times of the year. There are different food markets or shopping markets in Graz which is considered the best food market in the city and it is called Kaiser-Josef-Platz market. It is filled with the traditional foods of the city; all the dishes are made of organic ingredients. Apart from this, you can try outdoor activities as well.
Yoga and Retreats
You can take a break from your daily chaos and enroll yourself in yoga classes for a few days. It will help you to relieve stress and make you relaxed. Your body needs relaxation from all the traveling chaos you have made so far, it will prepare you for your next destination. Graz is filled with yoga centers with different styles that suit everyone. You can also book online classes which are relatively low prices as compared to the studios but the atmosphere in a perfect well-furnished studio is something different which you will not find anywhere else. You can choose according to your preference.
As soon as you reach your favorite destination, the first thing you look for is a perfect accommodation where you can relax and leave your luggage while you are exploring the city. The accommodation structure of the city is very fascinating as Graz is famous for its architectural buildings. You will find a lot of options here for a good stay, all types of hotels; motels, lodges, guesthouses, etc are available, from the higher range to the lower, depending on the facilities provided by the owners. Whether you want a room shared in a flat or you want to own a flat, Graz has all the options available for their travelers. You have the liberty to choose according to your budget. Here are a few famous hotels in Graz.
Green hotels are best for a traveler like you who loves to keep the environment clean no matter where you are. To make sure that your favorite destination stays clean and pollution-free then preferring green hotels over regular hotels is a very good idea. These hotels are very similar to many other hotels in the town, the facilities and services are very similar. The only differences are that these hotels serve their guests with recyclable goods and resources to reduce the amount of wastage. These hotels also serve meals with fewer meats and more organic-based foods. Here are some of the best green hotels in Graz.
- Mercure Graz City
- Augarten Art Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
Most of the Graz hostels and guest houses are loaded with features; they have everything a person ever needs. They have bars and a rooftop which is beautifully decorated for the travelers to take a good view of the city. They have a games area for the customers where they can play foosball or pool table. Some of the expensive hostels and guesthouses of Graz have a separate private bathroom and air conditioner.
All these luxurious hostels and guesthouses have free wifi connections as well. Most importantly these hostels are mostly situated at the center of the city which makes it easy for you to hop up to any of the nearest café or restaurants with your friends or family. Hostels and guesthouses are mostly for the people who want to stay in Graz for a longer period of time. Here are a few best hostels and guesthouses in Graz.
- Augarten Art Hotel
- Schlossberghotel-Das Kusnthotel
- NH Graz city
If you are planning to stay in Graz for a longer period of time then renting an apartment is a very good idea. It will allow you to stay comfortably and also saves a lot of money. You will be able to find all the essential items in these fully furnished apartments. There are different apartments available here depending on the services provide by each of them. You can choose according to your needs and necessity. You can take the help of the internet to choose a perfect one for yourself, just mention the basic things you want in your apartment and you will get options accordingly. Here are some best apartments in Graz.
- Flataid Apartmenthaus Brauhausstrasse
- BARBELL- Designerapartments Sporgasse
Couchsurfing is a community of travelers that helps other travelers when they are visiting each other’s hometown. It allows you to stay in the house of the people and they will provide you food as well. You can take the help of couch surfing to stay in a house for two to three days as it is not meant for longer stays. By doing these you can learn about the culture of the city and the native language of the people, you can also gather information about the best places to visit. Couch surfing is a modern way of traveling which is loved by travelers all over the world.
Camping in the countryside can be the best way of enjoying and appreciating the beautifulness of the city. And if you love the open skies and fresh air then camping is best for you. There are various camping sites in Graz in different locations; all these locations are perfect to spend a dreamy night in Graz. These champ sites are filled with all the basic things including toiletries, electricity, bonfire, etc.
How to Get There
Graz is blessed with all the modes of transportation whether you are traveling from the other cities of Austria or Germany or you are traveling from other countries across the globe. If you are traveling from any of the Austrian or German cities then you can easily get a direct flight to Graz. The international airport is about ten kilometers away from the city. Trains and buses will allow you to explore the inner city as well as the other cities of Austria. There are multiple places in Graz where you can hire bikes or you can get a tram to travel to the city.
Traveling through airways is always easy and comfortable. Graz has great facilities for their travelers, the passenger terminal area has a lot of features including travel agencies, shops, restaurants, cafes, banks, rental cars, and services, etc. You can plan your entire trip here with the help of the different agencies. You can get a direct flight to Graz from any of the Austrian or German cities. If you are traveling from any other country then you can check with your airlines regarding the timing and price of the tickets. Though traveling through airways can be expensive, it is the fastest mode of traveling which allows you to save a lot of time.
There are twenty-four bus lines in Graz which will help you to explore the city and the outer areas as well. There are eight-night bus lines to make your journey smoother, no matter when you want to travel and where you want to go, this city has all the facilities for their locals and travelers as well. Tickets bought from the stations are valid for all the buses here and for trams as well. Traveling through buses can be very cheap as compared to the other modes of travel. You cannot take airways for all the desired destinations.
Graz central train station is one of the most important train stations in Austria, serving thirty thousand people per day. The train stations here cover all the local and other areas of the city and connect it to the other Austrian cities as well. Traveling by train can be very exciting as you will be able to witness the culture of the city and you can create memories which are not possible with any other mode of travel. Ticket prices of trains are cheaper than airways. The real fun of traveling in different cities lies in the local modes of transportation. If you are one of those who thinks that the journey is more important than the destination then trains are the best option for you.
Hitchhiking will allow you to save a lot of money and it is the most popular means of traveling nowadays. It is the most adventurous and thrilling way of traveling, it allows you to make a lot of memories on your way to your desired destination. You just need to find the busiest road from where you can start your journey. The people of Graz are very cheerful and helpful so you can gather information about the city as well while you are riding. Language can be a problem here but you can communicate in English by breaking the words in such a way that the driver can understand where you want to go.
There are a few more options available for you apart from the basics one. You can easily get a rented car or bike for traveling in the city. There are a number of companies here renting their vehicles for traveling purposes. You can even get chargeable cars or bikes for your journey; it allows you to stay pollution-free and also helps the environment to stay clean. There is a recharge station available all over the city so you don’t need to worry about recharging your vehicles. You can also get a bicycle for exploring the inner part of the city.
Your entire journey completely depends upon the modes of traveling as it allows you to decide how you can distribute your time and money in the city. There are a few parts of the city which can be explored by walking, for some places you need a car while in others you might need a train to travel. Choose your mode of traveling wisely so that you can get to know the culture of the city deeply. Here are a few options that you can add to your journey to make it even more memorable.
The center of the city which is around the Hauptplatz is the best place to explore by walking. It is a place where you can see modernity and ancient tradition combined. You will be able to witness the culture of the city by walking only. It is not possible by any other means of transport. The city has numerous festivals throughout the year, you can attain these festivals as well. There are food markets and flea markets which is the biggest attraction for travelers in the city. You can explore these markets by walking only. There are proper footpaths which are made for pedestrians all over the city. This makes your walking experience smoother.
Graz has a high spot of long riverside bicycle route of 360 kilometers. For many years now, Graz has been known as the bicycle-friendly city in Austria. People here are very serious about their health and the environment. You will often see the locals riding a bicycle in their daily life for different purposes. You can get a bicycle here at a very low price and can travel to the city. You can easily get a cargo rental bicycle and repair shops all over the city. The path of the network of bicycles in Graz is very dynamic and it can help you a lot to explore the city.
If you want to explore the city without causing any harm to the environment then opting for electric cars can be a very good option for you. Being an eco-friendly traveler you should opt for electric cars to complete your tour. Graz has all the facilities available for their travelers and you will be able to get charging stations at every corner of the city. Electronic vehicles help to reduce pollution, and it is very easy to maintain. There are few hotels in Graz that offer these facilities to their customers so that they can easily travel the city.
Graz has a total of thirty-two bus lines that help the passenger to travel wherever they want. These buses are very comfortable to travel from, you will be able to get the tickets from the bus station and that ticket is valid for all the buses in Graz. There are eight bus lines that run at night for the travelers and locals, these bus lines are generally for the people who work at night and for the travelers who want to explore the city at night. There are numbers of bus terminals in Graz which you will find all over the city to board.
Tram, Train and Subway
Tram networks in Graz have a very important role in public transport. It is widely used by the people here; it has six-day timelines and five evening timelines. Trains here are well connected with all the outer areas of the city and these train lines also connect the other cities of Austria to Graz. Exploring the city by using these means of transport is the best as it allows you to know the culture of the city, the behavior pattern of the locals, and their language. Fares are relatively low as compared to the airways.
There are various places in Graz from where you can shop. Island in the mur is the best and famous place for shopping here. This artificial insel has a great architecture and vibe, the prices are very reasonable. You will be able to find a variety of kinds of stuff here among which gifts and specialty shops are something you should definitely visit when you are on an island of mur. Shopping city seiersberg can be your one-stop destination here for everything you need; it’s a big shopping mall where you will find all the necessary things along with clothes, accessories, etc. When you are in Graz, do visit these places to complete your travel experience.
There are plenty of food markets in Graz and you will be able to get a perfect one for yourself. If you are a food lover or loves to bargain, then you are welcome. Bauernmarkt Kaiser Josef Platz, bauernmarkt lendplatz, the franziskanerplatz easter market, etc are some of the best food markets in Graz. You will be able to get a variety of Styrian cuisine here along with organic fruits and vegetables. All of these markets have traditional Styrian foods which you should try when you are in Graz.
If you want to take a piece of the city with you to your home town then flea markets are best for you. You will be able to get vintage items here at a very affordable price which you can add to your collection. Some of these markets have good quality items that are hard to find. Apart from the vintage kinds of stuff, you will get clothes, household stuff, etc as well.
Second Hand Stores
Sarah’s second-hand shop, dogdays of summer vintage, garderobe, etc are some of the best selling second-hand stores in the city. There are plenty of theft stores in this city where you will get all the possible things you can think of. These shops have the best-used fashion clothes, vintage items, accessories, shoes, etc, these items are in good condition that it becomes hard to tell whether they are used or not. All these items at a very low price which is possible only to get here in the second-hand shops in the city. You should visit these places and there’s no way you are coming back empty-handed
Eco-fashion is getting popular in western culture and people love it from all over the world. Graz has its own culture that allows the people over here to adapt to the culture of the eco-fashion way before it started trending overseas. There will be no trouble in finding a good place to shop eco-friendly clothes that are made up of fabrics, DIYs, and colors that are not harmful to nature and can be regrown.
When you are traveling to an unknown place, it is your duty to keep the environment clean so that the next person enjoys the beauty of the place as much as you did. In order to do so, you should try to reuse the resources you have as much as possible. The government of Graz has already taken several measures to reduce the amount of pollution by recycling goods and you should also take part in it.
The waste generation of this city has reached up a level where precaution is a must. The government has introduced several plans which are followed by the people living here to control the amount of waste production. You should also take part in such activities and follow the guidelines of the government; this is the best way to fulfill your duty as a responsible traveler.
Work and Study Abroad
Graz is the best place for studying and working. People around the globe are trying to get themselves enrolled in any of the Graz University. The tuition fees and the courses fees are very affordable here as compared to the other famous universities in the world. The lifestyle and the quality of living in Graz are very high which makes it even more attractive. The crime rates in Graz are meager compared to the other cities, so it is the safest place for your future plans.
Exchange students can be a great option for people who can’t afford to study in different universities from any foreign country. You will have to check with the colleges of your home town whether they have a partnership with Graz university or not. Afterward, your home university will have to nominate your name to get selected at Graz University.
Au pair can be a very good option for you to stay in a different location if you are new to the place. This allows you to stay in the homes of the locals in exchange for some household work you will get a place to stay and foods to eat.
Volunteering can be a very good idea if you want to keep your favorite destination clean and pollution-free. Try to volunteer for teaching, cleaning, and other works in Graz.