Eco-friendly travel guide to Guangzhou advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Guangzhou, China.
- Air quality: 2.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 3.5/ 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 1.5 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$10 - $100
- Budget per day: US$25 - $150
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Guangzhou is one of the most popular cities around the world and is known for being populous. More than 13 million people live in this city of Southern China among them, many people are migrants. Having people from both inside the country and outside of the country makes it a very diverse city.
You will come across many different types of people and groups of people, which has led to the title of being the Capital of the Third World. This is one of the three biggest cities in China and also known as a transportation hub. When you are visiting this city, here are some things that you need to keep in mind.
- Try to use green hotels for your stay that is known for being very eco-friendly and reducing the pollution of a city. You will be able to get all benefits and the hotel at a reasonable price.
- As an eco-friendly traveler, visit all the parks and gardens in the city to get away from the crowd of people and enjoy some fresh air. Going close to nature will help you to enjoy the city.
- Chinese cuisines in this city are a must-try from big restaurants. Along with them, you need to try the small stalls and street foods that are dependent on tourism and offer mouth-watering food at a low price.
- Use local transportation that helps to reduce pollution in the city instead of other ones. It will help you to explore the city while helping it to keep the environment pollution-free.
- A major part of this city is dependent on travel, buying goods from local people will help them a lot to keep providing. So, make sure to purchase from the local shops as much as you can to help them out.
Air Quality and Pollution
Before visiting the city, you need to prepare for many different things and one of them is the air quality of the city. Knowing the air quality will help you to know what precautions you need to take before stepping in. The air quality of this city is always changing, but most of the time it is moderate or unhealthy. So, you will have to face a day in your stay that is unhealthy to breathe.
Even if the air quality is good for one day, it is not going to stay for much longer. Take all the precautions such as masks and medicines with you to stay safe. If you have any breathing problems or other conditions that might be affected by pollution, then talk with a doctor before planning your trip. The air quality might be okay for others who do not have such conditions.
Respect the Culture
When it comes to the culture of this city, you will be amazed to know a lot of things. One of the specialties of this city is its culture and diversity. This is one of the largest cities in China and is known to be one of the populous cities in the world. You will get to see many different cultures in this city as people from different places live in this city.
The city is home to many migrants from both inside and outside the country. People from different countries have gathered in the city as a migrant, which makes it a place with different cultures. In your journey to the city, you will come across many people from different cultures.
Being the transportation hub of the world, you will get to meet many different people in the city. Apart from people, the Lingnan culture, Cantonese culture, and others will make you stunned. Make sure to visit every corner of the city to witness the raw culture and traditions from food to fashion choices.
Top 10 Places to Visit
There is no doubt about this fact that Guangzhou is a wonderful city which is loved by the tourists. After visiting here, you will not only enjoy it but also have a different level of fun. But now if you want to make your trip more exciting then visit these 10 places in the city. They are fabulous and can give you the best feeling which you have never thought of before.
- Temple of the Six Banyan trees- It is a Buddhist temple that looks like a pairing of the six banyan trees. Here you can get to worship Lord Buddha and know a lot of things about him in detail. Never miss it because this opportunity might not come again and again.
- Canton Tower- Believe it or not, but it is true that this is the longest tower in the whole of China. Visit here during the evening time, and you will see the magic of those luminescent lights. But if you even think of missing it, then no one will help you to see the best thing in your life.
- Baiyun Mountain- One of the best mountains which gives you a beautiful feeling of nature. The majority of the people come here for relaxation and get peace. Try it out and see something which was beyond the level of your imagination.
- Dr. Sun Yat-sen's Memorial Hall- It is a palace, but people in the city refer to it as a hall. This tells you a brief history about the early age and makes you aware of the whole matter. In other words, you can be more knowledgeable and know the significance of this city in full detail.
- Chen Clan Ancestral Hall- This place was established in the year 1894 and is still famous today. The only reason is that it has some of the greatest historical artifacts which depict a lot of things. You can say that these are those activities which used to happen at an early age.
- Chimelong International circus- If you want to experience something great and amazing, then this is the right place. This one is the best circus which has some lovely shows. It is guaranteed that it will blow up your mind and give you joy to the fullest.
- Shamian Island- There is not so much information about this place, but you have to visit here at least once. Here you can see a lot of things and know some surprising facts about the city. Make a note of this place and mark it as a very important one. In the beginning, you would find it boring, but later on, you will understand its true value.
- Baima Clothing Wholesale Market- After having a tour of these places, you can stop in this market and buy some popular clothes. They are attractive and can be regarded as the best fashion wear in today's generation. Go for it, and there would not be any kind of disappointment or complaints in the future.
- Guangda Vast Foreign Trade Shoes Plaza- Without any doubt, we can say that this shopping market offers you the best shoes. It ranges from leather to hiking shoes, and you will get them at an affordable price. And after buying them, you will feel like recommending their names to your beloved persons.
- Popark shopping plaza- Last but not least, is that if you want to buy something beyond exceptional, then this place is the best. It is a shopping mall which has different departmental stores and there you can buy the right products.
Every year the city of Guangzhou attracts millions of people from different parts of the globe. People call it their second home because they get a homely feeling and explore it in a brief manner. Now when it comes to exploring the city, then you have to visit some other places also. These places include some of the finest city parks, national parks, and museums. In this section, you will know about those places and get a fair idea.
- Guangzhou Children's park- This park is awesome and is loved by children of all ages. Bring them here, and they will have a lot of fun with the lovely rides. Besides them, you will also enjoy the best moments and never feel like returning back to your normal life. But if you have this mindset from the starting that it is a boring place, then you will never enjoy it.
- Liwanhu park- It has beautiful lakes and ponds, which becomes a sole point of attraction. Visit this park and see how you enjoy the precious moments of your life. The ambiance is also calm, and you will feel yourself from all the depressions. Whoever misses it, they curse themselves throughout life and regrets about it.
- Guangzhou Chimelong Safari Park- If you want to see the best giraffe in the city, then this is the most preferred park. Come here and get an opportunity to interact with them in their own language. Another thing which you can do is to carry some meals and feed them during the time of interaction. Make a double tick of this place in your travel diaries so that you never forget it.
- Guangdong Haizhu National Wetland Park- Everyone visits this place because here, the flowers and plants are glorious. Always carry your camera so that you can capture them and take them as your memory. But if you take it lightly, then get ready to miss the most crucial part of your trip.
- Nansha Marina Yongchang- The water of this beach is clean like a pure crystal, and you can have a bath in it. People love to explore it and feel that there are no other beaches which have this kind of friendly atmosphere.
- Zhenhai Tower- This is one of the finest landmarks which is situated in the central part of the city. It started in the year 1380 and gives you a brief description of the Ming dynasty. You will also get to discover some of the Chinese sculptures which were very popular in those days.
- Guangdong Museum- In this museum, you will get several facts which you might have never heard before. These facts are some of the bilingual scripts which played a pivotal role during the reign of kings. Know about them, and it will become easier for you to share with your fellow mates.
- Museum of the Western Han Dynasty Mausoleum of the Nanyue King- Here you can know about the king of Nanyue and his achievements during the Chinese wars. No one misses it because this place gives you a broader knowledge.
- Oriental Museum- Believe it or not, but this museum has a massive collection of Chinese paintings and sculptures. Some exhibitions are also held over here, and people want to be their part. Once you have its exposure, then you will feel like writing the best reviews and ratings about it.
- Art Museum- You will see that this place is widespread all over the internet and it also has special popularity. There is a reason, and it is because of some famous paintings and artistic works of the best artists. Even if you are not an art lover, then also you will get attracted to them because of their nature.
Food plays a big part in the culture of this city, and you will get to see even diversity in here too. From raw Chinese to foods of different cultures, you will be able to see various food types in this city. Cantonese cuisine of the city is very popular around the country, you will be able to find many traditional Cantonese restaurants around the city.
From roasted suckling whole pig to rice rolls, the foods will impress you a lot with the unique taste. Being a famous place for immigrants, you will also get some foods from other cultures in small stalls and restaurants. From veg to street foods, everything is available in the city for travelers.
You can find different types of restaurants in different parts of the city. Before starting your food journey in this city, you need to have some information about the best restaurants for the best experience. Here are some of the different types of restaurants and details about them given below to help you know more.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Before trying anything else, head out for the traditional restaurants in the city. Traditional dishes are one of the best ones that help you to know a lot about Cantonese culture. Some Cantonese cuisines are very good that you will remember the taste for a long time.
There are many traditional dishes, which are famous in this city such as White Cut Chicken, Claypot Rice, Steamed Shumai, Wonton Noodle, Shrimp Dumplings, Sweet and Sour Pork, and many others. Although these dishes are available in most of the restaurants in the city, only a few of them have the old traditional taste with all the spices.
Some of the restaurants still maintain the old cooking process to make the dishes authentic. Here are some of the traditional restaurants in Guangzhou that you need to visit on your tour.
- Panxi Restaurant - Want to eat the best traditional food in the city from a restaurant that is as old as 73 years? Well, then this is the one that offers a fine dining experience of Cantonese traditional foods with an unmatched garden-like atmosphere and ambiance.
- Jiang by Chef Fei - Another very well known traditional restaurant that is known in the country for offering high class and cutting edge traditional and Chinese cuisine. You will be able to get the best traditional cuisines cooked with seasonal spices.
Vegetarian and Vegan
Vegetarians face a lot of problems in foreign countries and cities to get delicious food. But that is not the case here as there are many vegetarian restaurants available in the city that will help you to get a very nice veg eating experience. You will not miss out on any traditional taste as there are many veg traditional dishes available in the city.
Compared to non-veg restaurants, the number of veg restaurants in the city might be low but there are many in every corner of the city. Before you go out eating veg delicacies in this city, you need to know what are the best veg restaurants that you must visit. Here are some of them given below.
- DeFo Vegetarian - This is one of the most reputed veg restaurants in the city with a wide range of vegetarian dishes. The place has a total of 300 seats along with a full air-condition located in the Gold Buddha Temple.
- Yan Yan SuShi - Best vegan Cantonese traditional food that you can taste in the city. You will find this place a Yuexiu District with many places to sit for customers. There are many options available other than traditional veg cuisines that you can choose.
Cantonese traditional dishes are a one-time experience in the city that you must-have on your trip. However, street foods are similar to the cuisines in this city as they offer immense taste and a very good eating experience. From local to international, you will get to see many different types of street foods in the city. Make sure to visit every corner of the city to get the best street foods in the city.
It will help you to get the best taste at a very cheap price along with helping the local people for their living. Some of the popular street foods that you will get in the streets of Guangzhou city are rice noodle rolls, beef entrails, wonton noodles, black sesame soup, clay pot noodle rolls, and others. Apart from these, there are many other foods available that are not Chinese.
Some of the famous places that you can visit to try these foods are Baiyun Food Street, Shengtian Food Street, Wangjiao Street Food, and others. These places are most of the time flooding with people as they are very popular. Visiting these places and trying these popular street foods will help you to get a very good experience.
Drinks are somehow uniquely different in every city and country. No matter where you are going on a trip, you will find that the drinks are completely different from your home country or city except for some international brands. Those who love to try different types of drinks will love to visit this city as it offers a lot of choices.
From local to international, old to new, and traditional to the mixture, there are many different types of drinks available in the city. Local alcohol and beers are very popular around the city, but the best friend of travelers is soft drinks.
Between your traveling places, you will be able to get various types of soft drinks available in this city that will help you to feel fresh and boost up your energy and cover the other attractive places in the city. You will be stunned to see the nightlife of this city, the collection of drinks are huge and each of the drinks tastes awesome. Here are some of the details about the drinks given below.
The tap water of Guangzhou is completely safe to drink according to different sources. The local people of this city use the tap-water for their daily uses and drinking purposes every day. Till now, there are now reports of any health issue from having tap water. However, things can be different for travelers as they will need to adopt drinking the tap water from their hometown.
According to reports, the water of this city has a very high amount of antibiotics that help the water to stay clean and germ-free. If you want to drink the tap-water, then you will need to boil it and filter it very well before drinking it. It will make the tap-water safer and ensure your good health.
Although if you want to avoid drinking tap water, you can drink bottled water. Bottled water is available in almost every shop in the city, and you can get it at a reasonable price. But even if you avoid drinking tap water, you can use it to brush teeth or wash your face and others.
Staying healthy on a trip is very important or you can miss out on all the fun. The best way to stay healthy is by choosing organic dishes and ingredients for eating. It will help you to stay healthy and get a lot of energy to cover the beautiful places in the city. There are many organic restaurants available in the city that you can visit but they are scattered throughout the corners.
So, you will need to find them for some time if you do not know the perfect address. However, once you are there, you will be able to get a wide range of organic dishes available that will help you to get a nice experience. You need to know some names to save time searching and visit as fast as you can. So, here are some of the best organic restaurants that you can visit to have a memorable meal.
- Kafelaku Coffee
- Tianke Organic Life Restaurants
- Buongiorno Italian Restaurant
Do you want to relax under a shelter or open sky after exploring the famous places of this city while sipping drinks? Well, the city offers you a wide range of choices and both local and international brews. Before trying out the international brews, make sure to try the local ones that are only available in this city. It will help you to get the raw and authentic taste of the brew.
There are many breweries available in the city that you can visit and taste for free. The nightlife in the city is very well known for offering different kinds of drinks. You can visit the nightlife and try all the different kinds of brew, which will help you to know a lot more about other drinks. Special drinks like craft beer are one of the best ones that you need to try.
You will have no problem participating in different activities in this city as the city offers a lot of them. The famous locations and attractions of the city will take a lot of time to cover. From the famous Canton Tower to Baiyun Mountain, all of the different places are very good and attract a lot of tourists every year.
Apart from beautiful places, there is also some history of the city, food of the city, culture, traditions, and clothes will be very interesting for you. When it comes to activities, outdoor activity is one of the best things that many tourists look for.
There are plenty of outdoor activities available that give a nice experience of traveling to this city. You will be able to trek, hike, rock climbing, cliff climbing, coastal walking, paragliding, and many others. If you are staying for a month or two, then you will be able to perform many other outdoor activities in this city.
Yoga and Retreats
Keeping yourself healthy does not only end at eating healthy foods, but you also need to do other activities. While there are many other ways to stay healthy, many travelers like to do yoga on their trip. It helps to keep the mental health well along with taking you away from the crows of the city. The local people of this city are very health conscious and they like to go to yoga classes to train.
So, you will be able to find a lot of yoga centers in the city at different places. You will get help from the local people to know where these yoga centers are. They offer both 2-3 days of courses and training to travelers at different prices. You can choose your course and book them online based on your budget.
Accommodation is a major thing in a trip as it helps travelers to rest well and relax after a busy day watching all the different things in the city. So, you need to choose one very carefully based on what features and benefits you need from it. Options of accommodation are very wide in this city to choose from.
From hotels to hostels, every type of accommodation is available in the city that you need to choose based on the benefits, staying time, and other things. While looking for accommodation, make sure to get a place in the middle of the city, which will help you to connect easily with every corner of the city. Also, if you are choosing hotels for your stay, then stay at green hotels to keep the city safe from pollution.
Green hotels are a great choice of accommodation as they help to stay in the city and keep the environment safe. No matter which option you are choosing for your stay, it is best to book them earlier to ensure rooms. Here are some details about the different accommodation options given below to help you out.
As mentioned above, green hotels are a much more eco-friendly choice for staying in a city. As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to book green hotels to keep the city safe from pollution. There are many green hotels available in the city as travelers prefer green hotels for their stay over normal hotels. Most of them offer common benefits at reasonable prices.
From cheap to expensive, different types of green hotels are available in the city. These hotels use different eco-friendly methods that help to keep the pollution in the waste of the city safe. You can book these green hotels online at affordable prices. Booking them online will also ensure your rooms, some of the names of the best green hotels given below.
- Green Tree Alliance Hotel
- Guangzhou Green Hotel
- Green Tree Airport Road Express Hotel
- Guangzhou Green Nest Boutique Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
While hotels are the best options to stay in the city for a short time, you can choose hostels and guest houses to stay a little longer. Staying at hostels and guest houses also save a lot of money. They are as much available in the city as green hotels, you will be able to find many of them. All of them have different charges or rents based on their facilities or benefits.
Staying in a hostel or guesthouse is not as comfortable as the hotels but most of the basic options and benefits are available to help you enjoy the stay. Just like hotels, you can also book rooms of hostels or guest houses using online services to avoid any type of last time hassle. Here are some of the best guest houses and hostels are given below.
- Catalpa Garden Youth Hostel
- Lazy Gaga Hostel
- 100 Inn
Just like hostels or guest houses, apartments are similar options that come with lower charges and fewer benefits. Renting an apartment is the best option for you if you are planning to stay in the city for a long time. It not only helps to save time but the best option for you if you want to witness the daily life of local people. You will be staying with both local people and foreigners around you, which will give you a closer look at the daily life of them.
Most of the apartments do not offer many benefits to travelers but if you rent some of the expensive apartments, then you will get all the benefits of the hotel with some extra ones. Here are some of the names that you can choose for your stay or book online for your trip to Guangzhou.
- Swisstouches Guangzhou Hotel Residences
- Dan Executive Apartments
- Springdale Serviced Residence
Save all of your money on accommodation to spend on food or buying different things in the city by choosing Couchsurfing for your stay. It is a very trending and easy way of living in a city by taking help from other travelers who are residents of that city. There is a community of travelers that help each other stay at their home when visiting the home town.
You can easily find someone who is willing to help with the help of online services. Getting a host will help you to not only save money but get a lot of assistance in your travel. From giving information to recommending the best market for shopping, the host will help you as much as possible.
Apart from witnessing the culture from your exploring in the different lanes, you will be able to explore the culture very well while staying with a local family. From traditions to eating choices, you will learn many unique things from your stay in the city.
Why stay far from adventure while resting under a shelter? Make your whole day adventures by staying at camps in different locations. From mountains to other famous locations, there are many different places in the city where you can camp and enjoy nature. This staying option helps you to stay close to nature, surrounded by the greens.
You will be able to get plenty of options from low budget ones to expensive based on places and benefits. Staying at camps will give you a very good memory of the trip and help you to get fresh air. Here are some of the best camping sites given below that you can try in the city.
- Baiyun Mountain - One of the most common and beautiful camping spots is located on the Baiyun mountain. This place is also known as the most beautiful area of sheep city. It will help you to get a close view of nature and enjoy the scenic beauty of the mountains.
- Fairy Maiden Lake - Another very good spot for camping where you will be able to enjoy the lake and stay 6km away from the roads of the town. Along with the crystal clear water, you will also get to see the beautiful green surroundings around the lake.
How to Get There
Before planning anything else about the trip, you need to know what is the best way to travel to this city. The way of travel depends very much on the place where you are traveling from, price, time, and many other things. There are some modes of transportations that help to reach faster destinations but are expensive.
There are others that cost lower but take a lot of time to reach the destination. However, most of the travelers tend to choose to travel by air to get to their destination faster. But other ways are available too that helps you to experience the scenic beauty and get a nice experience of travel.
If you wish to know which are the best ways to travel to Guangzhou from your home, then here are some different modes of transportation are given below in detail to help you out.
As mentioned above, air is the most chosen way of traveling among travelers because it is the fastest way of traveling. You will be able to reach the city very fast and start exploring instead of spending time on the roads. If you have a short holiday in your hand, the air is the best way to travel for you.
However, keep in mind that the fare of flights is a lot higher compared to other modes of transportations. If you want to get them at a low price and ensure yourself a seat, then you will need to book a ticket a lot early. The city is well connected with different countries by air, and you will be able to get flights to this city very frequently.
If you are traveling from inside the country, then there are many local airlines that travel every day. The availability of flights from other countries is based on your travel location. You will be able to catch a flight to Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport and get into the city easily.
Being one of the famous transportation hubs in the world, you will find a lot of buses both intercity and expressway in this city. The expressway of this city is connected from downtown to all the other cities in the country. There are a total of 20 bus stations available for long-distance buses that are very well connected with other cities.
You will be able to get a bus for this city very frequently because of the high number of buses. However, there are no direct buses available to you if you are traveling from other countries. You will have to break the journey and take the bus after entering China.
Buses are both a comfortable and cheapest way of transportation that helps you to see all the scenic beauty along the way. You will need a lot more time to reach the city by bus compared to flight. So, make sure to have some time on your hand before traveling on the bus.
Traveling by train is a completely different experience from all the other types of transportations. It helps you to travel to your destination quicker than buses but slower than flights. It helps to provide a great experience of the train journey, and many travelers prefer trains for their journey over the flights even if it takes time.
Guangzhou is not connected with other countries by railway and you will need to break the journey if you want to travel by train. But if you are traveling from inside the country, then you will be able to get direct trains to this busy city. The city has a total of three railway stations for public transportation.
Most of the intercity trains that travel from other cities like Beijing, Nanjing, Wuhan, and others operate at the largest rail station located at Huanshi Road. You will be able to catch some bullet trains from different destinations to travel faster. Trains are very frequent, which will help you to catch one on your way to the city.
Hitchhiking is another very cheap and adventurous way of traveling to the city. Hitchhiking is getting very popular around the world, and travelers like to have this type of experience. If you are planning to hitchhike your way to Guangzhou city, then you will get many options available. Being a major transportation hub, the roads are very well connected with this city.
You will be able to get the best hitchhiking experience on your way to the city. Most of the people in the way will try to help you as much as they can, but you have to make sure that you are in the right place for getting a lift. There are many different highways available around the city, and you need to choose the busiest ones.
Some of the best places for hitchhiking in the city are west from Nanning on the toll signals. Also, you will be able to hitchhike in the North from Changsha, Beijing, and vice versa using the subway, and others.
There are other ways available that you can use to get into the city. As the city is a very well-known transportation hub in the world, you will be able to travel to this city by road easily. From motorbikes to four-wheelers, there are many travelers who like to go independently in the city as they want. It will help you to get an adventure while visiting the trip destination.
You will be able to see many natural scenic beauties on your way to the city. You will need a lot more time to reach the city compared to other modes of transport. If you are traveling from a city that is far away from this city, then you will also need to stay at hotels on the road at night.
There are direct routes available to this city from different countries, but it is better to land in China and then go out for the road tour. Make sure to carry all the necessary things with you if you want to travel like this on your way to Guangzhou city.
How much fun you will get in this city depends on the exploration. Based on your exploration of the city, you will be able to know the city. There are many ways available to explore and move around the city that you can choose. While some of them are time taking but help to explore every aspect, others help to cover most of the famous destinations in a day in the city.
You will need to choose one of the transportation systems to move around the city based on the duration of your stay, price, comfort, health, exploration. and others. There are many travelers who like to witness the life of locals from up close and know more about the culture. Before you choose your way of transportation in the city, take a look at these options that are given in detail below. It will help you to know the best way to move around the city for you.
Walking is considered to be the best way of travel by most of the travelers as it helps to explore the city very well and keep you healthy. You will be able to go anywhere you want including places where only pedestrians are allowed. Some shortcuts will help you very much to reach places faster. However, even with the shortcuts, you will need a lot of time to reach your destinations.
So, make sure to choose walking out of the city when you have a lot of time to stay in the city. From shops to the daily life of the local people, you will be able to witness the best things about this city. Walking also helps you to enter all the lanes and roads to see the buildings and structures.
The rich cultural history of this place reflects from foods to various markets and walking helps to cover all of them. Make sure to carry water and an umbrella while walking the streets of this city to stay safe and hydrated.
Just like walking, bicycles are also a very healthy option for travelers to explore the city. While it helps to exercise, you will be able to see many different places in the city that are inaccessible by other modes of transportations. Exploring the city along with keeping the environment clean and reducing pollution of air is another reason for choosing it.
You will be able to freely roam the city and reach some places faster than walking. Renting a bicycle is also a very cheap option that will help you to travel comfortably throughout your whole trip. There are separate lanes specifically made for cycle riders and pedestrians. So, you will be able to move quite fast without facing the traffic in this city like all the others.
As this is one of the busiest and populous cities, bicycles will help you to move faster compared to most of the other transportation that travels by road. Make sure to ask your hotel if they are providing cycle service to the customers for free. While traveling on cycle, make sure to carry water and other things to stay hydrated and safe.
Vehicles are one of the fastest options that you need to choose if you want to reach your destination faster. Instead of vehicles run by fuel, choose the electronic ones. You will be able to find many of these vehicles available in this city as it is known to be one of the biggest transportation hubs.
While you can not enjoy every single thing in the streets and explore the daily life of people on the way while traveling using vehicles, you will be able to reach a lot faster compared to other modes. However, make sure to have a lot of time available in our hands while traveling the city by vehicle.
As the city has a very high number of population, you will need to wait a lot in the traffic and signals. Traffic jams are very normal in this city that can make you very late to reach your destination. It is best to travel on the main roads to avoid any type of traffic.
Public buses are the best and cheapest option available for you to travel to the city. As mentioned earlier, the number of buses is very high in the city that will help you to travel easily. The travel will be as comfortable as any other type of transportations. The intercity buses are very well known for being very frequent and easily available at multiple bus stations.
The city has different bus stations that offer plenty of buses to travel in the city and outside of the city. You can pay the bus fare with a transit card also instead of cash. As most of the people on the bus are local, you will be able to learn a lot about the daily life and culture of the local people while traveling on a bus.
Most of the drivers do not speak English, and signs are also in Chinese. So, it is best to learn Chinese before getting on a bus in the city. The GRBT system helps the buses to go through lanes and other areas for travel.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trains in this city are very useful transportation and many travelers like to choose trains over any other mode of transportation. The best thing about trains is they do not have to wait in traffic and help you to reach the places without interruptions. While most of the time, trains are used to travel long distances in this city, you can get some trains that help you to move around the city.
Bullet trains are not an option for you while traveling the city as they move cities to cities without stopping. The city offers three railway stations that offer different services. While the station at Hunashi Road used to travel between cities, the other two stations are used for local and bullet trains.
The metro is also very well connected inside the city, and you will be able to reach different places using it in the city. The subways are a valid way to move around the city as well but the metro is a much faster way of travel and it offers better stoppage at places.
Shopping is mandatory to remember the place and get some finest items for your home. As an eco-friendly traveler, you can choose sustainable shopping, which will both help the city and save you some extra bucks. Sustainable shopping is getting very popular around the world. Many travelers prefer to do sustainable shopping instead of buying new items.
It helps the city very much to reduce waste, stay clean, and help the local sellers who are dependent on tourism. From clothes to collectibles, you will be able to get all the different types of goods available in the markets in this city. There are many shops that provide second-hand and antique goods at a reasonable price.
Get some of the souvenirs and goods for your loved ones at a low price from these markets. Here is some information about different markets that will help you to know which ones to visit first.
When it comes to shopping, the first thing that comes to our mind is food shopping. Food is a nice way to understand a culture and get a closer look at eating choices. The city is filled with many different food markets in different corners. You can visit these food markets to have a very good experience of eating food. From organic foods to local ones, the food markets have a wide range of foods available.
You will also get to see some seasonal spices and usual cooking spices in these markets. On your exploration of these food markers, you can also take a break and eat some food from the nearby food stalls. When you are out in the city for food market exploration, here are some places that you need to try first.
- Hui Fu Food Market - This is one of the oldest markets in the city that offers a wide range of foods to customers. You can visit the market very easily as it is accessible by bus, cab, and others. The place is also very well known for having a lot of street food stores.
- Guangzhou Tianzinghe Food Limited Company Market - Another very famous market in the city that is well known for providing different foods to the customers. You will be able to get a very good shopping experience in this market.
Flea markets are very well known for having a wide collection of antiques and vintage goods. You will be able to get some of the best things available in these markets to extend your collection. Flea markets are always very crowded with people, which makes it very hard to explore.
So, take a lot of time in your hand before visiting these markets and do your exploration. From the old telephones to some rare items are available in this city that will make you stunned. Here are some of the flea markets that you can visit to have the best items.
- Baijiang Flea Market - This is one of the oldest markets in the city that will help you to get a lot of rare items. The best thing about the market is that the prices are very low compared to other flea markets in this city.
- Haizhu Wholesale Market - You will be able to get a wide range of products in this market but the best thing about this market is the jewelry. Some of the oldest designs are available in this market at a very low price.
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand products are getting very popular around the world as it is a very good way to keep the environment safe. You will be able to get clothes from other second-hand products that are of high quality in this city. They are very affordable while offering very good quality.
You will find a lot of second-hand stores in the city that offers a wide range of products to customers. Here are some of the second-hand markets and shops that you need to try in this city to get the best goods.
- Shengxian Dashatou Second Hand Trade Market - Known very well around the city and even China for offering nice quality goods to customers at a low price.
- Hongfa Second Hand Goods Franchise Store - If you want to get the best things at a slightly high price, then this is the best market for you.
Eco-fashion is a very nice way to wear good clothes without producing a lot of waste. You will be both helping the environment and saving money by adopting eco-fashion. There are many local people in the city who like to wear eco-fashion to make the city waste-free. The old fashion is recycled and made like new, which comes at a very low price.
There are some brands also available that exclusively sell only eco-fashion for the customers. You will be able to get a lot of eco-fashion available in the city and make sure to buy from the local stores to help them out.
The recycling process of this city has improved a lot, then it used to be in the past times. The government has taken many steps that help to keep the city free from wastes and help to recycle things. One of the best steps taken by the government was where they announced that they will pay 90 yuan for the processing of one-tonne low value recycle.
From the dustbin system to other initiatives is taken to collect all the wastes, separate them, and recycle them. It helps to save resources and reduce waste in the city to make the environment better and breathable.
Waste is a very common problem in every city around the world. Different countries are suggesting various processes to reduce waste and prevent getting a weak landfill. Guangzhou has improved the waste management system a lot in the past few years. Most of the wastes were used to landfill and incarcerate to get rid of.
Now, the wastes are separated by dustbin to know which ones are recyclable and which ones are not. The dustbin system helps the people to separately dump their waste and collect them easily. So, if you are traveling as an eco-friendly traveler in this city, then make sure to place your waste very carefully.
Work and Study Abroad
Working and studying abroad helps students or people to get more benefits, and it has become very common in the world. The education system has become very well in this city that attracts a lot of students from other countries. You will come across many students who are studying in this city and pursuing different courses at a reasonable price.
As the city is known for having a lot of migrants, many foreign workers stay and work in this city. There are high opportunities available to earn money despite the large population. Here are some of the benefits that they get given below.
The exchange student is a program that helps the students to study in a foreign country without spending a lot of money. However, the student must get nominated by their home institute to receive this benefit. Some universities in this city are very well connected with other universities in foreign countries and work as their partners.
Many students each year come from different countries using the exchange student system to study in Guangzhou without just paying the college fee. It is a nice way to help bright students get a nice education. However, this system is only available to students when their home institute is partnered with any universities in this city.
Au Pair is a nice way to get help in the initial stage after coming to this city from foreign countries. You will get many people who want Au Pair service for taking care of either babies or old people, in exchange for money, shelter, and food.
You will be able to get some pocket money and shelter while looking for a full-time job or a hostel to stay in for your education. There are many people in the city that are currently doing Au Pair to get a better living. You can take the help of online services to find all the people who are offering Au Pair services.
Volunteering is a nice way to get closer to local people and help them out to keep the city clean, safe, educated, and others. You can participate in different volunteering jobs to help out the city. Some of them include teaching English to local people, keeping the famous attractions clean, guarding any sacred place, helping out other travelers, and many more. It will not only help you to know the local people but also brush up on your Chinese language too.