Eco-friendly travel guide to Ibiza advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Ibiza, Spain.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$30 - $1100
- Budget per day: US$80 - $1100
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Ibiza is one of the most colorful and popular islands that is located near the Mediterranean sea. This place is very well known for parties and the vibrant nightlife. The pleasing views of the island will make you jaw-dropped. You will get a very good and unforgettable time on this island with a lot of parties. However, you will need to keep up some of the things in your mind before visiting this island.
- Try to use the local transportations as much as you can to help out the local people as most of them are dependent on tourist
- As an eco-friendly traveler, try to stay in the green hotels that offer both a comfortable stay and the island out of pollution
- Along with the big restaurants, try the delicacies that are served on small stalls around the streets
- Make sure to visit all the parks on the island to get fresh air along with a very good experience of nature
- During your trip to Ibiza try to take the help of small shops that are scattered around the island to buy goods at a low price and help the local people
Air Quality and Pollution
Before visiting the island, you need to know how safe the air of the place is for your health. The best way to know the air quality is by checking the AQI (Air Quality Index). The AQI of the island stays between good to moderate and pollution also fluctuates in the air. So, you will need to take some necessary precautions to keep your health in check on the bad days. It is best to take the help of a doctor to know what are the different things that you need to carry with you.
Respect the Culture
The culture of this island is very vibrant and filled with different types of people. Most of the people on this island are Catholic Spain, but there are some other Roman people, Moorish, and ethnic groups also present. You will get the touch of their culture in different things like food, architecture, art, and others. Make sure to explore the island very well to know the culture and tradition of the local people. There are some specific places available in Ibiza that will help you to know the history and their people very well.
Top 10 Places to Visit
There is no doubt that if you visit the island of Ibiza, then you would have a lot of fun. But in case if you want to make your trip more exciting, then you have to visit these 10 places.
- Cova de Can Marçà - Start your trip with this deep cave and feel like getting the most amazing thrill of your life. The rock cutting edges of this place become a point of attraction, and people love it. Go for it and get an experience which you have never got earlier.
- Aquarium Cap Blanc - A live aquarium where you would get some famous sea creatures and fishes. Try it out and see how you can get to discover something new.
- Ibiza Cathedral - This is the best church where you can visit and wish for something very interesting. Just make a fair attempt of it and see that one day it would definitely get fulfilled.
- Portal de ses Taules - It is a famous monument that takes you back to the 18th century and tells its history. After visiting here, you would get a fair knowledge about the significance of this city and its importance in contributing freedom.
- Poblament fenici de Sa Caleta - An archeological site that showcases some of the famous rocks and fossils of the early ages. Visit here and get to see something very different, which were beyond your thoughts and imaginations.
- Aguamar Water Park - It is one of the finest aquatic centers where you would get some famous water games. Kids enjoy this place a lot and find it much more exciting than any museums.
- Sa Talaiassa - This mountain is beautiful and also gives you the real meaning of nature. People come here and get a better amount of relaxation and peace. You can never miss it because this opportunity may not come again.
- Can Muson - On this farm, you would get some fascinating plants, animals, and birds. Carry a camera with you so that you can capture all their pictures and save them as your memory.
- Casino De Ibiza - If you want to play a game of poker and blackjack, then you cannot miss this casino. It is not only the best but can also help you to win the bets that you have placed.
- Casa Broner - It is a mansion of a German artist who had a greater contribution in proving the significance of artworks. Here you will get an idea about his role and how he proved this thing within a very short span of time.
The above 10 places are fine and can also give you better excitement. But now when it comes to exploring this island, then you also have to try out some city parks and museums.
- Placa des Parc - Without any doubt, we can say that this park is awesome and promotes the cultural heritage of the city. Come with your family and see how well the time is being spent over here.
- Slingshot - It is an amusement park where you will get some prominent rides. If you even think of missing it, then you will miss the best adventure of your life.
- Camping Cala Nova - If you love camping activities, then this park is a must-visit for you. Camp here with your family and spend the whole day by having loads of enjoyment and fun.
- Cape San Antonio - In this park, you would get some famous restaurants and food stalls. In other words, here you can also go for a visit and have better cuisine in one of those restaurants.
- Aigües Blanques - Visit this beach during the daytime and get an opportunity to bathe in the salty water. There is no such person who misses this place because it is something which they have never seen before.
- Benirras - This is one of the popular beaches on the island that is known for providing a very good sunset to the viewers. The spectacular views of the different sceneries will help you to get a very good experience.
You cannot say that there are famous landmarks on this island, but the museums become a point of attraction.
- Museu Etnogràfic d'Eivissa - In this museum, you would get brief information about the oils and creams which were used earlier. Know about them, and it would be easy for you to share knowledge among your beloved persons.
- Espacio Micus - This is a gallery cum museum where you would get some famous paintings and arts. Go through those works and get introduced to some prominent Spanish artists.
Eating is a very good way to get the ultimate cultural food taste and know more about local dishes. You will get both street foods and cuisines on this island that will help you to get the best street food experience. That does not mean that you will not be able to get other dishes here. You will be able to get different types of foods in Ibiza from vegetarian to different cuisines. Here are some of the details given below about different food sections that will help you to know more and save some time.
Traditional Local Restaurants
One of the most important things that you need to taste after stepping into the island is traditional foods. You will be able to get a long list of traditional dishes that will boost the food eating experience. All around the island, you will be able to find many traditional food restaurants and outlets. You can visit these restaurants to have seafood and some other traditional dishes on the island. Here are some of the traditional restaurants that you need to visit on your trip.
- Mar A Vila - This is one of the best traditional restaurants in the city that you can visit to have a very good food eating experience. It is popular for serving some of the best traditional dishes of the island such as Pintxos, Tapas, and others. From breakfast to dinner, you will be able to get all of the different dishes in this restaurant.
- The Giri Cafe - On this beautiful island, you need to visit this restaurant to get the best seafood dishes and Spanish dishes. Some of the best traditional foods that you will get on this island include Spanish roots and others. Make sure to visit the restaurant earlier to get the seats without any problem.
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are vegetarian, you do not need to worry much on this island. Ibiza offers a lot of veg restaurants that you can visit to get the best vegan dishes. However, the best thing about these is that you will get the vegan traditional dishes as well. It will both help you to get the raw taste of the culture and keep yourself far from non-veg. You might need a lot of time to search for these restaurants on the island. So, here are some of the most popular vegetarian restaurants on the island that offer vegetarian dishes at a reasonable price.
- Wild Beets - This is the must-visit restaurant on the island for vegetarians. You will be able to get some of the best veg dishes that are made using seasonal vegetables. The plant-based menu with gluten-free dishes comes at a very low price. The ambiance of the restaurant will help you to get a very good experience.
- Passion Marina - Want to get the best vegetarian dishes at reasonable prices? Make sure to visit this restaurant that comes with a wide range of raw vegetarian menu. You can also try the vegetarian juices as well that are very popular. As the restaurant is very popular, you will come across many foreigners as well.
All different types of food are must-try on this island but make sure to keep street food high on that list. It does not only offer you some mouth-watering delicacies but the prices are quite cheaper compared to big restaurants. You will come across many street food stalls around the island on almost every corner that offers a wide range of foods. Being a popular tourist destination and an island, you will find a lot of seafood and fishes in this area. Some of the dishes like Sofrit Pages, Billet de peix, and others can help you to get the ultimate taste of the street food.
Drinks are one of the most important things that you need to consider while traveling to different cities. Unlike other places, this island is famous for having parties and a very good nightlife. You will be able to have a wide range of drinks available on this island. From alcohol to soft drinks, make sure to try both local and international drinks to have the best drinking experience on this island. Here are some of the different sections about drinks are given below that will help you a lot on your trip.
Tap water is a very important thing in a place that you need to know before visiting it. It will help you very much to stay safe on the island. You can easily drink the tap water of Ibiza as it is completely safe to drink and contain no harmful properties. Local people of the island use the tap water for most of their work.
However, you can boil and filter the water very well before drinking it. Raw tap water can be used for different things except drinking such as brushing teeth and washing face. For more safety, you can take the help of packaged water to drink without any harm to your health.
Organic foods are very helpful to health as they contain no chemicals. Many travelers like to eat organic foods during their trips to places. You will find a lot of organic restaurants on this island that offer food at a very low price. However, you will need to explore a lot to find these restaurants on the island if you are not familiar with them. Here are some of the best places that you can visit to have a wide range of organic foods and get your energy back.
- Savia Eco Tienda
- Bioganic Ibiza
Brews play a very important part on this island as it is very well known for having different types of drinks. As the nightlife of the island is very well known for partying, there are many drinks that are available in this place. You can visit many breweries on the island to witness the process of making brews and tasting them. Here are some of the best places on the island that you can visit to get the best experience of breweries.
- Ibosim Brewhouse, Ibiza Beer Company
You will never fall short of options while looking for different activities on the island. As the island is very famous for having parties and very good nightlife, you can visit the bars and pubs and have a very good time on the island. Not only famous attractions and parties, but you will also be able to participate in many outdoor activities as well. From trekking, yoga to water activities, you will be able to get many different options on the island.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is one of the attractions of this island and many people visit this island to participate in it. You will miss out on a major portion of the culture of this island if you do not try yoga in Ibiza. Compared to other places, the number of yoga retreats is very high on this island, which makes it very easy to relax by participating in one. You will be able to take part in these yoga activities and improve your health condition. Also, doing yoga on the island will help you a lot to get your energy back and explore beautiful places.
Accommodation is very important that helps you to relax after a tiring day of visiting the different places of the island. From very expensive to cheaper options, all types of accommodation options are available for the tourists. You will be able to get some very luxurious beach resorts on this island as well to get a very good travel experience. However, you need to choose the mode of accommodation based on your budget and the duration of the trip. Here are some of the options given below in detail that will help you to assist in choosing the best one.
Green hotels are one of the best options available to you that offer you a way to contribute to the island as well as keeping your health safe. Green hotels are known for using eco-friendly methods that make the place free of pollution and improve the overall environment. You will be able to get fresh air and recycle systems all around the hotel. Compared to normal hotels, you will get more benefits and features in these ones. Here are some of the most popular green hotels on the island that you can choose from for your stay.
- Grouptel Santa Eularia & Spa - This is one of the best green hotels that are available on the island. All basic and extra benefits are provided by the hotel that will help you to stay comfortably. From recycled water to solar devices, you will get to see the uses of eco-friendly products all over the hotel.
- Aparthotel Tropic Garden - The best thing about this hotel is that it is completely covered with green. The houses are available for the tourists at a very low price and offer a very cozy experience. You can book the rooms both online and offline for the best experience of this green hotel.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you do not want to spend a lot of money on accommodation or staying for a longer time that can increase the budget of accommodation in a hotel, then hostels and guest houses are the best options for you. You will get a very good hostel or guesthouse on this island at a low price. All the different types of options are available on the island that you can choose from higher to low. Even you can choose a sharable room as well with other people. Here are some of the best hostels and guesthouses that you need to take a look at.
- Hostel Adelino
- Soli Budha Guesthouse
When it comes to staying for more than 1 month on the island, then the best option that you can choose is the apartments. You will get a lot of apartments on the island that offer apartment rooms for rent at reasonable prices. The best thing about renting a room is that you will be able to enjoy your stay very much and surrounded by local people. Being surrounded by local people all around you is a great opportunity to know their traditions very well.
Couchsurfing is a community of travelers that offer other travelers to stay at their home and provide food to show gratitude while visiting their home place. If you want to meet travelers who stay on this island and are ready to offer you a stay at their house, then you will be able to save a lot of money and observe the tradition of the local people up close. Make sure to search online to find the hosts who are offering Couchsurfing to travelers.
Being an island, you will find plenty of places to camp if you are looking for this adventurous stay. Camping is a very good experience of accommodation that helps you to get close to nature and sleep under the open sky. In most of the camps, you will find all the basic benefits at a reasonable price. Natural beauty and views of the different camping spots will make you stunned.
- San Antonio Campsite - Located in western Ibiza, this is one of the best and perfect campsites on the whole island. You will be able to get spectacular views and a great experience of staying close to nature in this camp. All the basic facilities are available for the tourists to help them spend a very good time
- Es Cama Campsite - Here you will get both nature and modern facilities to get a very good camping experience. The campsite is not very far from the main city and it comes with bars, shops, restaurants, and a swimming pool as well. Make sure to book the camps earlier to get them without any hassle.
How to Get There
How many options of transportation are available to reach this island from your destination is based on the home location. The most convenient way to travel to Ibiza from most of the other countries is known to be flight. Catching a flight helps to easily reach the island without any break in the journey. However, you can also choose other ways to reach it, and some of them are given below in detail.
As mentioned, the air is the most convenient way to reach Ibiza island, and most of the travelers choose it. It helps to reach the destination faster than most of the other transportation modes and comes with a lot of benefits. One of the things that you need to keep in mind while choosing a flight for your travel is that the fare is higher compared to other transportations. If you want to get the tickets at a low price, then it is best to get them a long time before the departure date.
The bus is the cheapest way to travel to different locations that also helps to provide a very good journey experience. However, you will find no direct way to reach this island from other countries. If you want to have the experience of traveling by bus to the island, then it is best to break the journey and catch the bus from other cities after entering the journey.
Trains are one of the most preferred ways for travelers to visit different destinations. But you will not get a direct train from other cities to the island. Ibiza does not have any railways that connect it to other cities or countries. Trains are available but only on the island.
Hitchhiking is one of the best ways to travel to different places that helps to save a lot of money. You can take the help of different cars and other transportations on the road to take a lift and reach the island. As the roads are well connected to the island, you will be able to get many cars on the way. It is best to wait in tolls and fuel stations to increase your chance of getting a lift.
Apart from that, you will get a lot of options that can help you to reach the island. Some of them include motorcycles, cars, ferries, cruises, and boats. As the island is located on the shores, you will be able to travel by the water as well. But the waterway is not connected with most of the countries. So, you will need to enter the country and then catch cars or ferries for the best experience.
Without exploring the island, you will be left clueless about what are the things that you are missing. As Ibiza is one of the popular places and contains many beautiful places, you will need to explore the island very well. A lot of options are available that you can choose to move around this island but you need to choose one based on your duration of the trip. Some of them will help you to cover all the beautiful places as fast as possible and others will give you the full experience of the lifestyle, culture, people, and other things.
If you have a lot of time on your hand to explore this island, then the best way to move around is walking. You will be able to enter some of the places on the island where only pedestrians are allowed. From the lifestyle of the local people to buildings or foods, you will be able to find all the different things on your way of exploring the island.
Bicycles are one of the cheapest ways of traveling that helps to explore very well as well as keep in check. Necessary health exercising is done by riding a bicycle around the island. Unlike other modes of transportations, you do not have to wait in the traffic. You can rent a bicycle easily from different stalls on this island at a reasonable price. Make sure to ask your hotel also if they provide free rent service to customers.
Electronic cars are far more eco-friendly than fuel cars as they are run by batteries. Unlike other cars, no smoking output pollutes the air. So, you can choose it to reach destinations much faster on the island. Just keep in mind that cars might take some extra time to reach because of the traffic on the road. You can get them both online and offline at a very low price.
Public buses are the cheapest and most common way to move around the island. Most of the local people on this island choose buses to move around. You will be able to get a lot of buses very frequently from bus terminals and stoppages. The best thing about taking buses is that you will be able to know a lot of things about the local people and their lifestyle while traveling to other cities.
Tram, Train and Subway
Tourist trains are available on the island that you can take to move around the island and see some of the prettiest places. The trains are well connected throughout the island, which makes it worth having a tour by it. Apart from trains, you will also be able to find subways that are available around the island. But unfortunately, there are no trams available on this island.
Shopping is known to be one of the best ways to know the culture of the place. You can help out the island to stay clean by choosing sustainable shopping. Ibiza offers a lot of flea markets and second-hand markets that offer antique, vintage items at low cost. Some of these items are very rare and can be a great addition to your collection. Here are details about some of these sustainable shops given below.
Food markets are heaven for food lovers as you will be able to get a lot of different food ingredients in there. Being an island, you will be able to get a lot of seafood items in the markets. Not only the food items but during your exploration, you will come across many small stalls as well. You can stop and eat some delicious street foods in these stalls to get your energy back.
Flea markets are known for providing antique or vintage items to customers at a very low price. You will get a lot of flea markets on the island that offers some of the most valuable and old items. Make sure to visit if you want to add some of the rare editions of antiques in your collection. It is best to visit these flea markets as early as possible to get all the available items.
- Sant Jordi Flea Market - The ultimate location to have vintage and antique items at a very low price. This market is open every Saturday from 9 AM to 3 AM, which makes it more popular. From jewelry to old toys, you will get to see everything in this market that comes at a low price, and you can get them even at discount with a little bit of bargain
- Dacha Workshop - This market is located at the center of the town and contains a lot of different clothes and vintage items. This is a very crowded palace that is filled with both local people and foreigners. You can get some of the excellent quality items at low prices in this market. Make sure to visit the market early to get some of the best items and extend your collection.
Second Hand Stores
One of the best ways to help the island and reduce pollution and waste is choosing second-hand items. You will find many second-hand stores on this island that offer both clothes and accessories to customers. Most of the items are of high quality and come at a very reasonable price. You will be able to recycle the waste of the island and reduce it to make Ibiza pollution-free.
Be stylish on the island while helping the environment by purchasing the eco-fashions. Most of the eco-fashions use different natural ingredients instead of chemical compounds. This helps you to keep your health in top-notch condition and help the island to reduce waste. You can visit some of the best eco-fashion stores and purchase some of the items at a low price.
Recycling is one of the most important things that helps to keep the island clean from wastes. The government and citizens of the country helped this island very much to stay clean. You will get to see many trash bins on your way to different locations that are placed to separate the wastes.
The waste generated on this island is far more than other cities of Spain around 36.5%. More than 662 kg per head of waste is produced every year, which is mostly used in landfills and other things. The recycling process has been doubled during the last few years that help to reduce waste a lot. Make sure to play your part during your tour to keep the island clean.
Work and Study Abroad
You will come across many students and workers from foreign countries who are staying on the island for a long time. The universities and companies offer a lot of different jobs and benefits to travelers. Here are some of the best benefits given below that you can get on this island for study and job.
The exchange student is one of the best benefits that you can get as a student. It helps you to study at foreign universities for a minimum fee if you get nominated by the home university.
For both students and workers, you will be able to get an Au Pair job easily on the island. It will help you a lot in the initial stage to get both shelter and food along with some money. You can look for hosts at online websites to find Au Pair jobs easily.
If you want to contribute to the island, then you can choose multiple jobs like teaching English, keeping the beaches clean, guiding tourists, and others. There are plenty of volunteering jobs available on the island that will help you to know a lot about local people.