Eco-friendly travel guide to Kazan advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Kazan, Russia.
- Air quality: 4.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.7 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.7 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$190 - $250
- Budget per day: US$150 - $180
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Kazan is one of the largest and most beautiful cities in Russia. Having a population of almost a 1.3million, this city features a strong relevance to the rich culture, heritage, as well as a strong influence on the locals. It is one of the most visited cities in Russia compared to other cities. Apart from that, the lifestyle, which the locals lead, is quite outstanding and compared to other cities like Moscow or St. Petersburg people lead a lavish lifestyle. If you are planning to do responsible-traveling to the country, make sure that you are following all the rules and regulations of the country. It is important to understand that the country is filled with some outstanding tourist locations as well as attractions. Hence, if you want to go on independent traveling, then you have to know about how you can save money on the expenses. Since it is one of the oldest cities of Russia as well as in Eastern Europe, Kazan is considered the most important economic, cultural as well as scientific centers of Russia. Once you visit here, the beauty as well as the rich culture, which the locals happily follow, will mesmerize you. Make sure that you are maintaining all the environment-friendly rules and avoid throwing litter here and there. Besides, if you visit the tourist attractions or recreational places, make sure that you are not destroying or damaging the property. Overall, it can be said that Kazan is undoubtedly a travel paradise that will make your vacation memorable.
Air Quality and Pollution
Apart from beauty, what matters the most is whether the city is good for traveling in terms of health matters. For example, if the pollution levels of any city are high, then chances are there that you might have to face consequences. However, when it comes to Kazan, the pollution levels are under control, thus making it a perfectly safe spot for vacationing. Throughout the year, the pollution levels remain under control. Due to this reason, even if you have breathing issues, you might not face many issues. However, if you want to stay healthy, then it is best if you use facemasks. Throughout the year, the pollution levels remain low and this is something that makes Kazan one of the best places for enjoying a vacation. Besides, both locals as well as the government have come up with various environmental programs that have helped in keeping the pollution levels under control. As a responsible traveler, you must avoid any kind of pollution creating activities.
Respect the Culture
Russians immensely believe in following their cultures. Besides, Russia has a deeply embedded culture as well as history. From ballet, painting to classical music, you will come across a huge diversity in the culture. When it comes to travelers, this diversity can help you to understand various aspects of Russian life. Besides, from cosmopolitan cities to traditional villages, this diversity is prevalent everywhere. Hence, you will be experiencing one of the best and exciting holidays in Russia. You might be aware of the fact that locals in Kazan are known as Russians; however, there are almost 160 different ethnic groups. Even though Russian is the official language in the city, but locals here speak other languages too. Next, come the art and craft, since it is yet another one of the most important parts of the Russian cities and Kazan is no exception. For generations, art and craft have been a wonderful yet integral part of the Russian culture. Next, comes the superstitions and the Russians still believe in the superstitions. Hence, it can be said that the locals still believe in superstitions. If you are interested in knowing more about the culture, then Kazan is no doubt one of the best places.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Kazan is a beautiful place, and people love to have a holiday trip over here. But if you want it to be more interesting then you have to visit these ten places. Read about them carefully and you would never have any kind of doubts and queries.
- Kul Sharif Mosque - You cannot imagine that this mosque is huge and covers half of the colony. It is built to honor the most famous Russian scholar named Kul Sharif. He had a great contribution without which the history of Russia’s literature would never have been possible. In order to know more about it just visit here as quickly as possible.
- Temple of All Religions- As the name suggests that this temple is for all religions so it is true. People of every religion can visit here and wish for the best thing. But if you ever think that it is nothing then no one can help you to find the most interesting thing about your trip.
- Kazan Kremlin - Believe it or not, but it is true that this palace was built in the period of 16th century. People still love it and want to know the true significance behind it. Try not to miss it because this chance might not come in your next trip.
- Riviera Aquapark- You can call this place a Russian Aquatica cum water park where there are various types of slides. Just try them out and you will have a lot of fun. And another thing is that the experience is something which you might have never got before.
- Cathedral of the Annunciation - This is an orthodox cathedral where you will get hundreds of worshippers. They make you feel the presence of Jesus and tells you the best things about him and that too in full details. In other words, this place is a must-visit because you might not get this opportunity again and again.
- Kazan Zoological and Botanic Garden - It is a zoo cum garden where you would get a wide variety of wild animals and plants. They are beyond words and can also give you nice company. But for that, you have to make a friendship with them by having a smooth interaction. Losing this opportunity of coming here is a silly mistake which you should never do.
- Fun 24 - This place is a recreation centre for everyone as here you will get games like billiards and bowling. It would not only be fun but also an extraordinary thrill which you might have never imagined before. No one misses it because a place like this is nowhere there in Russia.
- Monument of Musa Jalil - This monument is dedicated to all the Russian soldiers who sacrificed their lives during the world war. Discover this place and see how you get to know the most fascinating facts about them. In the beginning, you may find it boring but later on, you would understand its true value.
- Kazan circus - If you love to see the activities of a joker then you cannot say no to this circus. It offers you some best performances by them and you would enjoy them to the fullest. People often call it boring but you have to come here and make your own decision about it.
- Slava Zaitsev's Art Gallery - The majority of the people refer to this place as a museum but in simple words, it is a gallery. You can say that a gallery where you will get some of the best Russian paintings and sketches. Just go for it and you would feel like recommending it to your beloved persons.
So, you have known the top 10 places in Kazan where you need to visit. But do you have any idea that for exploring the city what should you do? The answer is simple just visit some city parks and museums which can give you a very different experience.
- Gorkinsko-Omet'yevskiy Les- This park is nice and has a better space for walking and jogging. You can come here during the morning time and see how awesome it is. But the moment you miss it then never expect any other thing to be more exciting.
- Park Im. Stolyarova - The ambiance of this place is calm and you would get a feeling of peace over here. As a result, this park is for relaxation and after visiting here you will be free from all your depressions and pains. Make a note of this place and mark it as a very important one in your travel diaries.
- Millennium Park - If you are feeling to have a picnic with your family then this is the most suited option. Do it over here and see how fine is your exposure to this wonderful place. Whoever visits here says positive things about it and fully praises it.
- Lokomotiv Plyazh- The water of this beach is crystal clear and you would be eager to have a bath inside it. This will give you a very enthralling experience and you would like to get absorbed in its atmosphere. Tourists call this place something which they have seen in their dreams.
- Plyazh Molodezhnyy Tsentr - You can come to this beach during the evening time and enjoy it besides walking. And at that time some stalls are also arranged where you can taste the best Russian delicacies. Once you have them then you would lick your finger and would want to give some of your best reviews.
You would not find any famous landmark in the city of Kazan. The reason behind this thing is that the museums mentioned below are the right examples of it.
- Kazan Kremlin- In this museum you will know about the Russian warriors who contributed a lot. They were responsible for providing the freedom to the country of Russia. Have a tour of this place and you would know some of their prominent works.
- Chak-Chak Museum - Without any doubt, we can say that this museum is food. It does not mean a restaurant but displays the food artifacts of different regions. If you see them then you would feel like being in that particular region of food. You will find this kind of place in your books of history.
The food culture of every country comes with some outstanding surprises. This is something that will add something extra to your vacation plans. When it comes to Russian cuisine, it is exclusively popular for diversity as well as heavy dishes. Along with that, the special traditions, vodkas, and most importantly festive cooking make the food culture of Russia immensely popular. This infamous cuisine is infamous for celebrating some outstanding festive dishes like smoked sturgeon balyk, salted salmon, red, black, and pink caviar, salted mushroom, and other dishes. Some other favorite dishes of the Russians include kasha, which is a mixture of porridge and cereals, pancakes, pirogi pies with many salty fillings, etc. Apart from that, the poultry dishes are some of the most preferable dishes in Russian cuisine. From stews, meat to cabbage, these are some of the daily foods, which the locals love having every day. Different types of bread as well as wheat products are yet another one of the most important parts of the food culture. If you are not aware of the fact, then the bread products have a long history just like vodka.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Kazan is filled with some of the most popular traditional and local restaurants that offer outstanding yet delicious dishes. The best thing about Kazan it boasts a proud cultural mix not just in terms of population but in terms of food as well. Hence, you can understand that you will get uncountable unique dishes. Let us check out some of the popular local and traditional restaurants in the city.
- Malabar- This restaurant is an absolute favorite for both the locals as well as tourists. The ambiance of Malabar is quite vibrant and it offers Indian fare. The lovely staff, as well as the wonderful atmosphere, is something that will no doubt uplift your mood for sure. The interiors are ornately decorated and are designed with colorful trinkets. Here you will get uncountable vegetarian as well as non-veg dishes. From whole fishes, vegetables, legume to sauces, you will get various dishes.
- Priyut Kholostyaka- If you do not have a budget crunch, then you can visit Priyut Kholostyaka. The impeccable service as well as the delicious food makes everything seem perfect. The interiors of Priyut Kholostyaka gives a vintage feel. Here you can enjoy exclusive dishes of European cuisine.
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are a complete vegan and worry about whether you will get vegan dishes in Kazan, then you will get an array of choices. From soups to noodles, there are multiple options to try. Besides, you will get some toothsome fruit juices too from the vegan menu. Let us check out some of the most popular vegan restaurants that you must try in Kazan.
- One Season- If you want to try some of the most popular vegan dishes like sandwiches or even the seven-course meals, nothing can be better than One Season. Located in the heart of the city, it is one of the most popular eating joints not just for the locals but for the travel enthusiasts too. Here you will get a wide range of vegan options that are unbelievably delicious and apart from the dishes, you will get multiple options in the drinks too.
- Vegan Day- It is yet another one of the most popular vegan restaurants to try in Kazan. The breakfast options that you can get here are undoubtedly quite delicious. Some of the specialty dishes that you must try here are milk sorts, coffee, and matcha tea. Apart from being vegan, the ingredients that are used here for preparing dishes are gluten-free.
No matter where you go, street foods are something that makes every city different from each other. Yes, you can always try the modern restaurants; however, make sure that you are exploring the street food culture. From snacks to desserts, you will always find out some lip-smacking dishes and foods from the counters. Let us check out some of the most popular street foods that you must try in Kazan.
- Try out horse meat- Although horsemeat is popular in restaurants, you can always get them in the street food vans. Horsemeat is quite delicious since these are tender and juicy. Horse meat might sound like ham or salami, and they indeed are delicious like them. It is an important part of tartar cuisine and you can get horsemeat in different dishes.
- Solyanka- Solyanka is yet another one of the most popular traditional soups that locals love to enjoy with every dish. It is a traditional Russian soup, which is made out of spices, beef, sausages, pickles, ham, and other ingredients. Besides, other ingredients like meat, mushroom, and fish are also added. Make sure that you are trying out Solyanka if you are visiting Kazan.
- Broth- It is one of the most common yet delicious dishes that you will find throughout the city in almost every street food outlets. Normally, it is served with etchpetchmac. The soup is made with meat, grains, bones, and other essential vegetables that gives a perfect taste to the soup.
Just like a plethora of delicious dishes, you will come across a wide variety of drinks, be it modern or traditional. If you are aware of the Russian culture, then you will understand that drinks are an important part of their daily life. Here are a few of the most popular Russian drinks that you must try in Kazan.
- Kvass- Made with rye bread, yeast, and water, Kvass is one of the most favorite drinks of the Russians. The reason behind this is, they have a rich history connected to it. Probably, due to this reason, it is considered as one of the sacred drinks of the Russians and drink it almost regularly.
- Kompot- Another one of the most popular traditional Russian drinks that you must try. Made with apples. Pears, cherries, raspberries, apricots, and plums, it is considered as one of the nostalgic drinks, which the locals love enjoying every day. It is served hot or cold depending on the season.
- Mors- Made out of berries like raspberries, cranberries, blackcurrants, and others, Mors is one of the most energetic yet delicious drinks that you will try in Kazan. The process of making the drink is quite easy as berries are boiled for a few minutes, filtered and sugar is added for better taste. One of the easiest ways of making Mors is just by mixing berry jam in hot water.
Although Kazan is one of the safe places for tourists; however, make sure that you are avoiding drinking tap water since it might cause serious health hazards. Tap water is not sanitized properly, as result, you can face severe health issues, and staying in an unknown city far away from your home is certainly not a good idea. However, the government is coming up with different initiatives to clean tap water and make it safe for both the tourists as well as locals. Besides, you will get multiple options in drinks, which will no doubt force you to skip tap water. Apart from that, you will also get packaged drinking water, which is a comparatively safe option to opt for, than tap water. Make sure that you are carrying a water bottle while you are going out.
The trend of organic cafeterias is becoming quite popular due to the undeniable advantages it provides. Although you might not exact organic cafeterias in the city. But, the cafeterias here follow all the norms of organic cafeterias. From food to the ambiance of the interiors, you will notice that everything has an eco-friendly touch. The specialty of the organic cafeterias is the foods that you will get here are made with ingredients free from harmful chemicals. Organic foods are grown without any artificial color and are packed with nutrients. Organic cafeterias are gradually becoming one of the most profitable businesses since people are gradually becoming responsible for their health as well as the environment.
Breweries are one of the best parts when it comes to exploring any new city. If you love enjoying craft beer, cocktails, and other hard drinks, then make sure that you are checking out all the popular breweries in Kazan. As already mentioned, Russians love having vodkas, they also love having craft beer. Thus, you can understand that hard drinks are a part of the Russians almost daily. Let us check out some of the most popular breweries in the country.
- Joker Bar- This is one of the most popular breweries in the country that you will come across in the city. Both locals as well as tourists, come here throughout the day to enjoy high-quality craft beer as well as other hard drinks. Apart from craft beer, you will get some best vodka, cocktails as well as other hard drinks you want to try out.
- Krasniy Vostok- Yet another one of the most popular breweries where you can get some of the exclusive overrated drinks. Besides, it is one of the most popular hangout spots for the locals. If you want to know more about the city, you can meet locals who will describe to you everything that you must explore.
No matter where you are traveling, every corner of the country brings surprises and you will get them from the activities. Similarly, Kazan comes with some outstanding activity options that you must try out if you are planning for a vacation. From exploring various tourist attraction places to adventurous activities, you will get many options. Let us check out some of the most popular activities that you must try.
- Meet locals in Bauman Street- Bauman Street is one of the infamous pedestrians’ thoroughfare and it acts as a heart since it pumps life in the city throughout the day. Besides the souvenir shops, you will find cafeterias, museums, as well as shops where you can spend some casual time. Besides, you will meet street performers, a perfect option to entertain. At night, you can visit the restaurants, clubs, and bars to spend a good time.
- Visit the Hermitage-Kazan Center- Although it is not very popular unlike the sibling museum in St. Petersburg, Hermitage Kazan is one of the most favorite places for art enthusiasts. Throughout the year, many exhibitions take place that showcases Russian as well as international art from the artistic period as well as mediums.
- Explore the marvelous Kremlin- Already listed as one of the most popular world heritage sites; Kazan Kremlin is the only surviving Tatar fortress in Russia. Build during the 16th or the 17th century, it was built after Ivan the Terrible requested. Some of the most popular highlights include the Kul Sharif Mosque, Hermitage, and Tatarstan Museum of Natural History.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga and retreats are some of the best places where you can enjoy a great time when going on vacation. You will come across multiple yoga and retreat options in the city where you can visit to get relief from daily stress. Russians are quite active when it comes to keeping themselves fit and healthy. Due to this reason, you will come across yoga and retreat institutions. Let us check out some of the most popular yoga and retreats in Kazan where you must visit.
- Kriya Yoga V- This is one of the most popular yoga and retreat institution where you can enroll for a couple of yoga sessions. Here you will get assistance from experts who will guide you effectively through yoga and other effective solutions to stay healthy. If you want, you can even opt for the therapy sessions that will help in inducing mental health.
- Yoga-Tsentr Indiriya- From yoga therapy sessions to warm hospitality, Yoga-Tsentr Indiriya is one of the renowned organizations in the country. Many tourists as well as locals come here to practice yoga and make sure that you are visiting here for a couple of sessions.
- Studio Yogalena- The bright ambiance along with a calm atmosphere is something, which is necessary for yoga sessions. Yes, Studio Yogalena is one of the best places where you can enroll in yoga sessions. No matter what health issue you have, they will make sure to suggest the right yoga for your body to heal.
You will come across multiple accommodation options when it comes to Kazan. No matter what your budget is, you will get a suitable option. After all, it is impossible to enjoy a vacation without a comfortable stay. From hotels to hostels and guesthouses, you will get multiple options. Even if you do not want to stay in the main city, then you can choose the outskirts. However, you have to keep in mind that the rates will vary depending on the option you are choosing.
As already mentioned, Russia is concerned about maintaining environmental conditions. Thus, the trend of green hotels is becoming important. You will come across multiple options in green hotels. However, the only thing that you have to keep in mind is the green hotels are mostly built away from the cityscape. If you are ready to stay away from the main city, then green hotels are the best options.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels are quite common in Kazan and if you are not ready to spend huge on the hotels, then you can always stay in hostels or the guesthouses. You will get exclusive amenities like free parking, WiFi, and even separate bathrooms. Besides, you will get the option of a free breakfast where you can enjoy exclusive and unique dishes to try every morning. Apart from that, you will even meet many fellow travelers and you can always join them.
If you are interested in knowing about Russian culture, then staying in apartments is the best option. The locals are quite warm-hearted and you can always stay with them. However, if you are not comfortable staying with others, you can book apartments online through Airbnb. From here, you will get verified rooms and if you are traveling with your friends, you can comfortably share rooms. On top of that, you will get the advantage of free WiFi, parking, and breakfast too.
The trend of Couchsurfing is quite popular in the country since the travel enthusiasts who are visiting Kazan, enroll themselves in the Couchsurfing communities. Besides, when going on a solo trip to a new city, it is always a good idea to consider taking the help of the guides. With the Couchsurfing communities, you can always get the necessary help. Make sure that you are searching for all the travel communities in Kazan, and send a request. Once they accept your request, you can stay with them. Overall, it can be said that with Couchsurfing communities, you can enjoy a comfortable stay and your vacation will become memorable.
If you are planning for your vacation to Kazan to take a break from daily stress, then make camping a part of your vacation. If you take interest in enjoying a relaxing vacation, then nothing can be better than going on camping. Kazan is filled with eye-soothing beauty that will no doubt mesmerize you. Due to this reason, it is best if you go on camping. Make sure that you are searching for camping spots. Besides, when booking hotels, find out that they have camping grounds. Some of the most popular Shtorm Camping, Kazan Indoor Camping, and others.
How to Get There
If you are planning to visit the Kazan, then make sure that you are researching about the place. Since the capital city of the Republic of Tatarstan, Kazan is no doubt a glorious city as it represents the country’s Russia’s Tsarist past. The city features complex palaces, towering churches, along with some thriving cultural scenes. If you want to reach Kazan, then make sure that you are opting for the flight route. Railway route is also the best option; however, the only thing that you have to keep in mind is that trains are the best options if you are traveling from adjacent cities.
International visitors opt for the flight route as the flights arrive at the Kazan International Airport. It is almost eighteen miles to the south of downtown. Almost every country has direct flights to Kazan. Make sure that you are researching in detail.
The private companies cover most long-distance routes running to and from Kazan. Make sure that you are checking the bus routes as well as the timings so that it becomes easy to travel to your destination.
The option for hitchhiking is also available in the city. The locals here are quite friendly and always get ready to offer a lift. However, make sure that you are finding out about the various hitchhiking spots since not every vehicle stops near every spot. Besides, make sure that you are careful about your luggage since you will travel alone.
Apart from the trains, flights, or buses, you will get other options too when traveling to Kazan. You can either opt for bicycles or choose e-vehicles if you want to travel to any tourist place or go shopping. Keeping in mind responsible-traveling, it is best if you opt for sustainable transport options.
Kazan is one of the best places when it comes to moving around, from ports and museums, you will get almost everything. Foot walking is one of the best options when it comes to moving around the city. The rich culture and heritage of the city is something that will mesmerize you. Thus, make sure that you are exploring the city’s every corner.
Walking is yet another one of the best options when it comes to exploring the cityscape. Although the city is quite busy, still you will find it quite peaceful, when walking throughout the alleys. Besides, if you are planning for shopping, make sure that you are choosing to walk through the roads, as it will allow you to explore the markets properly.
As a responsible traveler, you can even opt for bicycles since these are not only cheap but also an eco-friendly option too. You will come across many small stores and outlets giving bicycles on rent. you can always choose bicycles, especially if you are in Kazan alone.
Although the pollution rate is quite low in the city, you might still see electronic vehicles and the reason behind this is because locals here are concerned about the environmental conditions. Soon Kazan will turn out to be one of the most energy-efficient cities in Russia.
The trend of public buses is quite in the city since the locals here mostly opt for the local buses. The reason behind this is that it is quite convenient. Besides, the public buses do not remain crowded and the rates are quite low, which makes it easy to choose them over cabs.
Tram, Train and Subway
The train route is quite popular in the city and apart from that, the metro network is also developed too. All these things make the railway network quite popular in the city. If you want to travel to any adjacent city or even state, you can always opt for the train route.
Since the locals in the city are quite concerned about the environment, you will notice shops selling various sustainable outfits, souvenirs as well as food items. If you love enjoying the delicious taste of homemade foods, then you will get small outlets that sell homemade delicacies. From DIY clothing items to handmade showpieces, you will get everything in these sustainable shopping outlets.
Food markets are one of the most popular places as you will be able to find out some amazing raw materials as well as ingredients, which Russian cuisine use. If you want, you can purchase them. Besides, you will come across many unique vegetables that can make food delicious.
Flea markets are quite popular in the city, as you will get clothing items as well as other necessary things at a much cheap rate. Apart from that, you will get exclusive accessories as well as home decoration items that you can get for yourself. Some of the most popular flea markets in Russia include Bloshinyy Rynok Knizhka, Kazan Kremlin, etc.
Second Hand Stores
Apart from the flea markets, the locals here even opt for the second-hand stores. You might be aware of the fact that second-hand stores are one of the best options if you want to buy vintage items for home decoration. You will come across many second-hand stores in the city.
Russians love the concept of eco-fashion and the reason behind this is because not only they are made with sustainable items, but they are comparatively affordable. Due to this reason, you will come across multiple eco-fashion stores selling clothes, home decoration items as well as other essentials.
The reason behind less pollution levels only because of higher recycling rates in the city. Locals always indulge in various recycling activities. Moreover, many companies have come up with the initiative of recycling all the used items. Many manufacturing and packaging units have switched their packaging methods and are using eco-friendly products so that it does not cause any harm.
The pollution levels are although not high; however, the waste generation rate is still high. It is because the tourism industry is quite active in the city. Many initiatives have been taken by the government to control the pollution levels as well as waste generation rate. Cleanliness drives are arranged in the city to keep the waste generation rate low.
Work and Study Abroad
When it comes to employment or career opportunities, Russia is one of those countries that provide unlimited options who are careerist and are serious about their life. From reputed MNCs to colleges and universities, you will get everything here. Students as well as candidates from various corners of the world come here to enroll themselves.
If you are someone, who is interested in continuing with your further studies, then nothing can be better than opting for enrolling in the prestigious colleges or universities in Kazan. Besides, the teaching faculty of these institutions are quite good as they give equal attention to everyone. Some of the prestigious universities in Kazan include Kazan State Medical University, Kazan Federal University, Kazan State Technological University, etc.
Russian women are concerned about their future and even after marriage, they like working. Due to this reason, the demand for au pair service is quite high in Kazan. Women opt for these services to take care of their small kids.
Since Kazan features some rich culture and heritage throughout the city, it is important to look after the old monuments and architectures. Due to this reason, many nonprofit organizations have come forward to preserve them and uphold the dignity of the city.