Eco-friendly travel guide to Larissa advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Larissa, Greece.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 2.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$50 - $700
- Budget per day: US$100 - $1000
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
The Thessaly Region of Greece finds its capital and largest city in the shape of Larissa. The regional unit of the city has recorded a population of almost 300,000 residents and though this might not sound like much for those living in the biggest cities across the globe, it is a considerable number for the people in the region and the resources that are available in the region. Being a key agricultural hub and a vital transportation centre for the nation, the city is not only well connected and of great importance to the local people, it is also an important industrial, agricultural, transportation, educational, and commercial vein of the entire nation of Greece. Thus, as a tourist, it is of supreme importance that you avoid polluting the city on your trip to Larissa. The city does find it an existing burden on its resources and your actions may just amplify that burden and the amount of pollution. Hence, listed below are some of the key points to keep in mind while making purchases, reserving accommodations, dining out and so forth to ensure that you are a responsible tourist and your carbon footprint is down to a minimum.
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience includes discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general. Being a major industrial and commercial centre of Greece, Larissa does have quite a few industries who contribute to the pollution in the air, hence, as a tourist, you are recommended to avoid adding on to the air pollution directly by abstaining from private modes of transportation that are unsustainable, rather opt for the different forms of public transportation in the city, these are not only time saving and extremely efficient, often running on renewable or hybrid forms of energy but they are also known to be very economical.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote sustainable living as much as possible in the city to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the city that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the city. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards the city to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
Larissa witnesses a hot summer Mediterranean Climate and this implies that the city sees semi-arid cool weather conditions where the winters are quite comfortable and the summers are hot as the maximum temperature reaches even 35-40 degree. In these summer months, the average low temperature is in the 15-20 degree range. Whereas in the winter months the city sees an average high temperature of just 10-15 degree and the average low temperature during these winter months is ranging anywhere between 0-10 degree. Hence, tourists are advised to pack their bags according to the season in which they plan to visit the city.
The air quality in Larissa is known to be very respectable by worldwide norms. Being perhaps the most key urban areas in Greece and a vital city for the nation's development, you can expect a good measure of steps being taken by the government and various hired specialists to guarantee clean air. Nonetheless, when the air quality is contrasted with a portion of the significant rural areas, it is seen that the air in Larissa is polluted on some days, while it may not actually be as awful as urban communities in Asian countries, the pollution is not too obvious either to the unaided eye particularly for those vacationers who hail from urban areas with heavy levels of air pollution. Nitrogen oxides and particulate matter are the significant reasons for pollution in the city and however you won't confront inconveniences in breathing at the same time while doing everyday exercises and chores, it might influence you particularly on the off chance that you are outside for long spells of time and that you have prior breathing sicknesses. The city yet boasts of great AQI scores and this does offer reprieve and make it an obviously worthy choice to visit the city. Only those tourists who are prescribed medications for breathing illnesses must adhere to those no matter what, beyond this, no additional breathing aids such as masks are needed here.
Respect the Culture
The people of Greece are known to be immensely proud of their culture and heritage, after all they are the home of the Olympic Games that are held globally every 4 years. More so, as a traveller, you may be aloof about the sensitivities of the people of any foreign land and your actions may be construed as rude or offensive, hence, given in this section of the article are a few tips and pointers about the Greek people that you shall come across in Larissa and a few do’s and don’ts that you must adhere to if you wish to be regarded as a “good tourist”.
Greeks are known for their warm hospitality and laid-back disposition, two components which are vital to comprehend their manners and customs. When meeting somebody unexpectedly, it is standard to either permit somebody to present you or express your name. Shaking hands solidly is the most suitable welcome during a first gathering. Old buddies and individuals who have known each other for quite a while may likewise grasp and kiss each other on the two cheeks. Shaking somebody's hands while additionally tapping their shoulder is likewise very basic among male companions.
By and large, Greeks will regularly barge in on your own space or pose inquiries that may be viewed as too close to home in different societies. Such activities are not mean as rude. Unexpectedly, they are just approached to move toward individuals and make new connections without a feeling of custom. Most Greeks like to make jokes and get some information about their nations and their encounters in Greece.
In the event that a Greek individual welcomes you to their home, at that point you should remember that dependability is anything but a tremendous concern. This is proven by the way that they will never set a severe time plan and rather encourage you to "come around 12". The clothing standards relies completely upon the event. An invitation for a cup of espresso requires totally easygoing clothing. A solicitation to a major supper implies that you should dress well however not formally. It is a smart thought to bring desserts from the local pastry kitchen or simply a bottle of wine as a little token. Upon reaching, expressing gratitude toward the host for the greeting and commending their home will be valued.
During a feast, social graces are generally easygoing. Anticipate that numerous conversations should occur around the supper table since feast times are social events for the Greeks. Rejecting food is viewed as discourteous. On the off chance that you totally need to decline for some explanation, attempt to clarify why and the host will comprehend. Requesting another serving will enchant the hosts, as it is viewed as a commendation to their cooking abilities. Nonetheless, parcels are typically enormous and there are regularly a few side dishes on the table at any one time. Visitors are viewed as a piece of the family taking everything into account, which implies that they can and ought to eat or if nothing else attempt whatever is on the table. Offering to assist with preparing the table or cleaning the dishes will be valued, yet your assistance won't be acknowledged so don't demand excessively.
Greeks can be very backhanded communicators. To stay away from strife or encounter, they frequently take a wordy, indirect way to deal with passing on their messages delicately and carefully. Moreover, they may become vaguer and cautious when providing negative answers to keep away from dissatisfaction or offence. For instance, they may state they will "see what I can do" rather than giving a straight "no". In any case, they can be very immediate when speaking with those they know well.
Set aside the effort to show some mindfulness and thought into individuals' lives, regardless of your knowledge of them. For instance, enquire about their prosperity prior to getting to any point nearby. This is fundamental to encouraging great connections. It is believed to be abrupt and gruff to avoid casual banter and quickly talk about your subject of interest.
Try not to scrutinise the Greek culture, individuals or country. In spite of the fact that numerous Greeks straightforwardly whine about their nation or regret about how it is being 'demolished' by the current legislators, recall that they are still exceptionally glad for their country and its social commitments to the world. An unfamiliar analysis is probably not going to be valued.
Attempt to be open about yourself in the event that you can. Greeks usually share the individual subtleties of their lives and acknowledge when others do likewise. They will probably ask you individual inquiries during an easygoing conversation with an end goal to become acquainted with you.
In the event that a Greek diverges from a subject, be patient and permit them to wrap up expressing their contemplations prior to diverting the discussion back direct.
Try not to incite discussion about Greece's relationship with Cyprus, Turkey or North Macedonia. You can't assume an individual's situation on these affairs.
Show compassion and fortitude if the discussion goes to Greece's monetary circumstance. The vast majority will react well to warmth. Attempt to finish any verbal guarantee you make to a Greek. The verbally expressed word is esteemed in Greek culture and individuals are relied upon to be consistent with what they state.
Never suggest that the Greek public by one way or another merited the monetary emergency or that they caused their own financial end.
Greeks with whom you have a cosy relationship may anticipate that you should concede favours for them and show more steadfastness to them than others. On the off chance that you can, do what they ask; they will probably do likewise for you consequently.
Try not to propose that Greeks are languid. Remarks inferring that they don't contribute anything to the European Union can be especially destructive.
Try not to offer remarks that could be seen to scrutinise somebody's uprightness. Greeks will in general dislike undercurrents of explanations that recommend an individual is untrustworthy, pretentious or miserly.
Ultimately, don't draw on thoughts of old Greece to educate your suppositions regarding contemporary Greek culture. Greece is a globalised, mechanically progressed nation and such generalisations are terribly misguided.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Certainly, there are many places for a tourist to visit in the city of Larissa, however, a list of the top 10 places that you must visit is compiled in a list below, so take note and start planning your journey to these attractions:
- Great Hammam: One sight that may pass you by in the event that you don't have the foggiest idea what you're searching for is Ottoman Larissa's Great Hammam. Dating to between the sixteenth and eighteenth hundreds of years, it sits at the intersection of Venizelos and Filellinon Streets. Curiously, the Hammam was not, at this point utilised for bathing and only after a while before Larissa was freed toward the finish of the nineteenth century, and is today taken up by shops. The structure has a prolonged layout and what gets the attention is the fundamental arch 13 meters in distance across.
- Yeni Mosque: Larissa's Archeological Museum used to be set in this landmark going back to the nineteenth century, on 31st of August Street. Recognised by its minaret and three-pointed vaults (qubba), the Yeni Mosque led strict administrations up to 1924. From that point on it was utilised as a social space, first as the civil library and after the battle as the Archeological Museum. Beginning since 2018 there are plans to reconfigure the old mosque as a mixed media historical centre with presentations about Larissa's landmarks and culture.
- Pappas Mill: Definitely justified even despite a look in summer is this previous mechanical flour mill set up in 1893. Pappas Mill, with its striking four-story exterior torched in 1920, however, was before long ready to get it done in 1921. Since the 2000s the factory has been recovered as a social place with craftsmanship studios, a dance school, theatre and manikin theatre. The plant is the HQ for Larissa's philharmonic ensemble and there's a slick outside film screening motion pictures in the late spring. On the off chance that you stop by on a conventional evening, you can sit down at the bar's outside tables and taste a cool beverage in this fine old setting.
- Municipal Art Gallery: In 1981 the prominent specialist C.I. Katsigras gave his speciality assortment to the city, so establishing the Municipal workmanship Gallery. Katsigras gathered his assortment during the 1950s and 60s, and in it are probably the greatest names from Greek workmanship universe of the nineteenth and twentieth hundreds of years. Just via presentation, there are pieces by Georgios Jakobides, Nikolaos Gyzis (an individual from the Munich School), Konstantinos Volanakis (the dad of Greek seascapes), Demetrios Galanis (a dear companion of Picasso) and Konstantinos Parthenis, a spearheading innovator. The historical centre has a cafeteria and has a schedule of free workshops and talks.
- Ancient Theatre “A”: Larissa's main landmark is an auditorium that came to fruition toward the beginning of the third century BC when Thessaly was under the burden of the Kingdom of Macedonia. At the southern foot of Larissa's acropolis, the venue is acclaimed as perhaps the best landmark of the period. It was utilized for dramatic and melodic exhibitions, just as for strict occasions and Thessalian political gatherings. The engineering as we see it presently is from the Roman period when the auditorium was changed over into a field (limit of twelve thousand), with 10 stairways on eleven levels and 25 lines of marble seats. Over a portion of the seats are engravings of names, in all probability having a place with the Thessalian delegates.
- Ancient Theatre “B”: While the Theatre A was a venue from Larissa's Roman period. Unfortunately, the Theatre B incline was levelled during the 1950s before the landmark was rediscovered in 1978. In its time this would have been a great sight, with a symphony right around 30 meters in breadth and 14 stairways driving up the levels. Just the two most reduced lines of seat have been reestablished, however, you can see the establishments of the scene, up to 60 centimetres in stature.
- Bezesteni: Fabricated north of the St Achilles Basilica at the most elevated purpose of the acropolis in the late fifteenth century, the Bezesteni is perhaps the most mysterious Ottoman landmarks in Greece. Estimating 20 meters by 30, it was a covered material market, which once had 21 shops inside, each covered with tiles. Of the four unique entries, just the southern one endures, however it's not difficult to see the multifaceted design of the stonework in the curve. It is likewise accepted that marble blocks from the antiquated sanctuary to Athena Polias were utilized in the development. Later the Bezesteni served as a post and as the depository for Ottoman Larissa.
- Alcazar Park: Individuals have been coming to unwind at this spot on the banks of the Pineios River for over a century. Probably the best thing about this spot is the manner in which the stream has a cooling impact in summer. This land was initially utilised for horse shows from the late nineteenth century to 1937, at which point the recreation centre turned into a zoo which remained open until 1990. Presently it's an all-around selected metropolitan park, with a lake, tree-lined ways, yards, a bistro, outside theatre, youngsters' jungle gym and a smaller than normal fairway.
- Monument to Hippocrates: The father of medicine went through the last ten years of his life in Larissa in the fourth century BC. Also, in 1826 his burial place was rediscovered absolutely by chance after a flood, and distinguished by an engraving in Ancient Greek. Presently there's an advanced landmark to the man only close to Alcazar Park on Larissa's northern edges making a course for the town of Giannouli. This dedication was brought up in 1978 and has a sign in Ancient Greek that peruses, "The father of medicine, Hippocrates". Under the sculpture at where the burial chamber was probably found is a little historical centre with a duplicate of the piece covering Hippocrates burial chamber, Hippocratic works on marble tablets and photographs of old clinical instruments.
- St Achilles Basilica: At the highest point of Larissa's acropolis are the remaining parts of a huge basilica that went up in the sixth century AD. The basilica was worked over the burial place of St Achilles. Albeit just the ground floor and establishments have been protected, there are a few things to pay special mind to. On the narthex is excellent Byzantine mosaic deck, while underneath are two vaulted burial chambers, actually enhanced with painted peevish. Because of their lower position, it is accepted that these burial chambers are significantly more seasoned than the congregation above, and the burial chamber in the burial chamber in the north walkway once held the remaining parts of St Achilles who passed on in 330 AD.
Larissa is home to some iconic destinations in Greece and there is no shortage of attractions to visit for any tourist taking a trip here, hence, given in the sections below are places of attraction that every tourist must visit to truly explore Larissa.
The city of Larissa is known to be home to some of the most scenic parks within its limits, a few of them that you can visit to admire nature and enjoy some quite time or perhaps even a jog are:
- Chatzichalar Park
- Park of Wishes
- Alkazar Park
- Saint Antonios Park
- Square Rigas
- Glinou Park
Larissa doesn't flaunt any national parks at the moment, yet Greece gives you a lot of alternatives in the event that you need to see the characteristic animals living straightforwardly in nature. In case you're keen on observing wild creatures in this piece of the nation, there's this one park that brags a wide assortment of fauna in Larissa.
- Popolos National Park
- Mount Olympus National Park
- Pindos National Park
- Vikos National Park
Larissa is a landlocked city which is situated in Greece, thus as a result of this, you won’t get the opportunity to lounge on any sandy beaches or take a dip in the ocean on your trip.
Some of the most notable landmarks in the city of Larissa are:
- Larissa Ancient Ruins
- The Church of St.George
- Church of Agia Paraskevi - Tempi
A city such as Larissa is renowned for its rich historical significance and there is no better place than the local museums and galleries to discover much of the local culture and heritage. Hence, given below are some of the most popular museums of Larissa:
- Folklore Museum of Larissa
- Diachronic Museum of Larissa
- Municipal Art Gallery of Larissa G.I. Katsigras Museum
The entire country of Greece is known to be an immensely popular holiday destination because of its scenic locations and because of its wildly delicious Greek cuisine. In Larissa, you too could go out and experience some of the best dishes that the city has to offer, a few of the popular ones are listed below:
Make sure you enjoy a few of the above-mentioned dishes with the signature olive oil of Greece.
Traditional Local Restaurants
To enjoy an authentic and traditional Greek dish, it is recommended that you visit the following restaurants in town:
- Posto Pubblico Larissa
- Bukowski Eatery&Drink
- Nonna Rossa
Vegetarian and Vegan
Those tourists who are truly committed to protecting the environment and choose to avoid causing harm to other living beings shall always opt for vegan meals. Some of the popular restaurants in town dishing up lip-smacking vegan delicacies are:
- The Yellow Gloves
Street food in Larissa mainly deals with authentic Greek dishes and these are pretty similar to Turkish dishes. In the sense that most of the street food has to do with grilled kebabs being served with bread and sauces, topped with olive oil. Burgers and steaks are also popular as street food here, simply ask the locals around you and they shall point you in the right direction for a cheap, filling and economical meal.
The people of Greece love the sun and their beverages, often opting for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages on any given day. The cocktails and spirits are one of the major draws for tourists across the globe. Given below are some of the most popular drinks that you must try while visiting Larissa:
- Greek Coffee
The tap water that is available all across Greece is known to be fit for consumption. The tap water of Larissa is no different and tourists like yourself must keep a reusable bottle handy to refill at strategic locations while touring across town.
A great method to remain as eco-friendly as possible in the nation and fend off unhealthy meals is to eat natural nourishments at organic cafes. A lot of explorers like to eat natural nourishments just during the time they are in another city. Organic foods don't contain any destructive synthetics hence they help you remain totally sound and get back your energy. It gets intense for voyagers to find a few such organic cafes or bistros in the urban communities. Luckily, there are a few organic cafes and bistros accessible here and these offer a healthy meal in an extremely sustainable manner. Given below are a few that you might want to visit on your trip to Larissa:
- Las Ramblas
- Mikel Coffee Company
The people of Larissa do enjoy their beers and there is frankly nothing like a freshly brewed pint to enjoy on a hot and sunny afternoon. Given below are a few popular breweries that are situated in town:
- Bier Center Larisa
- Pineios Brewery
- Bier Station
Quite possibly the most alluring things about a city that welcomes explorers from various nations are accessible activities. There are a lot of chronicled stories and renowned attractions accessible in Larissa to give an extraordinary encounter. There are many spots accessible in the city, from historical centres to places of worship, that will give you a decent voyaging experience. In the event that you are keen on open-air activities, at that point this city won't let you down. Some of the most well-known activities you can participate in the city is hiking, rock climbing, windsurfing, skydiving, kitesurfing, stand up paddling, and many more. In the event that you like to get a long way from the city's group, at that point, there are city parks, woodlands, yoga focuses, and different things to offer you some calm time. A lot of exercises are hanging tight for you to investigate and get a stunning encounter of going to Larissa.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is a globally trending form of exercise and meditation, and a country such as Greece which sees a large influx of tourists shall not be left far behind while catching up with any fad. With increasing awareness and a good deal of enthusiasm, you can find many yoga retreats that you too can visit in town.
The city is home to over 1000 hotels, and you have a wide range of options to choose from. All of these hotels cater to different customers and have tariffs suited to the traveler's needs. Needless to say, the amenities shall be in line with the tariffs but be assured all the basics shall be covered, and the necessary standards shall be met. When you are not roaming and exploring the city, you will need to rest in that place. So, knowing the different accommodation options before entering the city is very important. From green hotels to renting apartments, all the options are available to you to choose to enjoy your stay. It would be best to choose the accommodation options based on the number of days you stay in the city. Along with the accommodation options, the services also change very much. So, be very careful when choosing the accommodation option for your stay.
With the recent widespread green hotel or eco-hotel concept, many hotels in Larissa have converted themselves into environmentally friendly and sustainable hotels. Although the investment in a recycling can be costly, it has proved to be very beneficial in the long run. The hotels can generate higher profits and maintain cost-effectiveness. Using environment-friendly products and managing the carbon footprint is essential in the modern era.
- Olympus Terra Boutique Hotel
- Grecotel Larissa Imperial
- Grand Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
Larissa as a whole attracts a lot of travellers and explorers who are students, many of them prefer to ditch the conventional hotels and live in hostels, some of the feature-rich and pocket-friendly hostels in town are:
- Hotel International
- Grand Hostel
- Hotel Metropol Larissa
- Park Hotel
Renting apartments is known to be popular in Larissa. As an explorer, you additionally can research this decision and remembering that there may be several genuine prosperity worries, if you book a condominium in an extraordinary neighbourhood through strong applications or channels, you will be good to go. Airbnb is moreover a top choice of the tourists while renting apartments in the city.
Couch Surfing is quite common in Larissa and it's anything but an outsider idea to numerous here. As a traveller, you could go through a couple of websites, find reasonable hosts, discuss the details and finish the deal and you are all set. Try to assist your host at all times, keep the house clean and show your appreciation through a little token of appreciation.
If you are an adventure lover or like to stay close to nature, then camping is the best accommodation option for you. You will be able to get many campsites in the area that offer a host of features and an online booking option. So, make sure to book the camp before visiting the city. It will help you successfully get a camping spot without complication. Most of the spots get booked very fast due to the high number of tourists.
How to Get There
You will be able to get a lot of options available to reach Larissa from different countries. Among all the others, air travel is the most preferred option to reach the city from other countries and cities as it helps to reach the city very fast. There are also many other options available to reach the city that might take more time to reach but offer other advantages to travellers. You need to know which one is the best option to reach Larissa based on your location.
Larissa National airport is located 10 kilometers from the city. One of the best things about this transportation service is that it takes very little time to reach the destination than other modes of transport. But the fare of flight is also very high compared to trains or buses. If you want to travel by air, then you will need to book the flight far before the date of departure. It will help you confirm a seat for your trip, and the price will be a lot less in bookings. The estimated time to reach the city depends on your starting point.
The buses operated by both the government and the private operators are very comfortable and ecologically sustainable, with hybrid technology being increasingly used. You will reach your destination very fast at a very reasonable price. The buses are very frequent in this city, and you will find many bus terminals and hubs scattered throughout the city.
Local trains are also a standard mode of inter-city transport. However, they are more suitable when travelling shorter journeys as they can get uncomfortable when travelling long distances. For example, travelling by train from the city is a 15-hour journey and involves changing into different trains.
Hitchhiking may not be the easiest option for anyone. However, if you are dedicated, you will surely find a way to hitchhike to Larissa. The local people may see a tourist and feel compelled to extend a hand of help.
Beyond these means of transportation, you can always explore waterways to reach the city, but they are more focused within the city. They can maybe link you from the city's outer regions to bustling points but nothing more; however, these solar power boats shall appeal to the eco-friendly traveler in you. There are many other options available for hitchhiking to choose to reach the city from different places both in other countries and in the country.
The transport network in Larissa city includes rail and highway networks, airports for domestic travel, buses, motorcycle delivery services, walking, bicycling, and commercial shipping. Larissa is a rather large city with many things to do and places to explore. Moving around the city is relatively easy regardless of the mode of transport that you use. You need to select the way of travelling that you are most comfortable with, and you will be fine. There are several ways to move around within the city, as will be shown below.
Walking around the city of Larissa is an excellent way to discover the city. Not only do you have dedicated walking spaces, but there are also curated walking tours that help you explore a few scenic parts of the city on foot, so you must consider this option more seriously than ever. You will be able to see many cultural and traditional things up close in different places while walking.
Another perfect transportation mode is using a bicycle to roam around the city and explore all the different things. You will be able to get a bicycle on rent from many different services at a cheap cost. Many hotels provide bicycles free of cost to customers. The best thing about exploring the city on a bicycle is that you do not have to worry about traffic.
Electronic vehicles are growing in popularity in Larissa, however, they aren't exactly widely available yet, so it is recommended that you stick to conventional methods of transportation for now.
The newest technology has been implemented here and you shall find electricity-powered buses as well, so be assured of the eco-friendly traveller in you being completely satisfied. The best thing about the local bus is that the fare is meagre and connects with all the famous attractions.
Tram, Train and Subway
High-speed trains are prevalent in this city, helping you move from place to place very fast. Trains are quite frequent; you do not have to wait much for one to arrive. Taking trains will help you get the best experience of travelling in and around the city very comfortably without any interruptions unless it snows heavily.
Sustainable shopping is a means of patronizing and buying the local craft of the people. Undeniably, there are always unique things that would catch your eyes when you visit a new city. This is extremely important as you can directly contribute to the local economy and single-handedly deal a blow to greedy capitalists. Shop from local stores if you wish to get a hold of authentic craftsmanship and avoid polluting greedy mega-corporations.
Without visiting the food market, you will not be able to get the city's best experience. If you are a food lover, then you will feel like you are in heaven. There are many different food markets where you can visit and do your shopping. You will get some of the local and unique food products that are not available in other places.
These markets consist of local businesses and people that sell products that are reusable. These markets are run by local people and the best places to find local art and craft items. You can find these markets fill with handmade products and represent the local culture and people. Some trinkets and souvenirs can always be purchased from here to gift friends back home.
Second Hand Stores
These stores are quite popular amongst people who are unable to afford retail items because of low income. Larissa's stores serve various things, such as clothes, utensils, furniture, books, and other reusable items. These items are priced at lower rates as they are used ones and are relatively in good condition too mostly.
Eco-Fashion or Sustainable Fashion is a concept that is becoming quite popular in Larissa. Many businesses indulge in the use of sustainable and recyclable materials to make clothes. These are very affordable clothes because of the recyclable aspect. Eco-fashion clothes help in minimizing the impact on the environment and health of society. Organic cotton, recyclable fabrics, plant-based dyes are used to make eco-fashion clothes.
Recycling occurs in the city of Larissa, and some people are particular about it. One of the most typical things they recycle in this city is bottles. It could be glass or plastic, but it is always recycled, especially as many people buy bottled drinks. The idea is to ensure that the city stays clean and innovative. They can make other useful things from the recycled items by subscribing to recycling, while in the city of Larissa, you are an eco-friendly tourist.
Waste disposal in Larissa city can be a bit confusing, as there are different days for collecting different types of waste. There are guides and pictures in most city halls to help you understand your trash schedule and sorting. It is essential to put your trash in the correct colour bag to avoid it being left behind.
Work and Study Abroad
If you are an international student who wishes to work while studying in Larissa city, it is possible. The government advocates that you do it during your free time, not to affect your studies. It is left to you to know how to balance your school and work schedule so that none is affected. But irrespective, there are plenty of opportunities, even after graduating.
Many universities in Greece and Larissa partner with schools in other countries to have a student exchange program. Thus, you should check if your school partners with anyone in the city of Larissa if you desire to visit the city. Many students usually jump at this opportunity, and you can do so as well. During the student exchange program, you can learn Greek culture well and it is a plus as you also get to explore the city. The town offers comprehensive exchange programs and scholarships too. With famous universities being housed here, students often need to work hard to score good grades and nab these scholarships.
Au Pair is one of the best ways of getting your study done in a foreign city while earning money. It helps the students or foreigners to explore the city and help out local people. You will be shocked to know how many people in this city desperately need Au Pairs. This is a give-and-take process where you will be taking care of a child or older adult for a limited time in exchange for shelter, food, and some money. Taking care of the baby or older people might not be easy because of the family members' busy schedules.
As an eco-friendly traveller, it is your duty to contribute to the city and keep it clean. Nothing is more appropriate and helpful than choosing the volunteering option. It will help you to contribute towards society and the city by choosing this option. If you are travelling for a long time and want to get close to local people and give back to society without using money, volunteering is the best way. During volunteering, you will come close to the local people and know their lifestyle up close. The interaction with both locals and foreigners will increase a lot, helping you know them and brush up your language skills.