Eco-friendly travel guide to Greece advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Greece, Europe.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Bus connections: 3.5 / 5
- Train connections: 3 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3 / 5
- National parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$15 - $700
- Budget per day: US$60 - $1000
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Greece is one of the most famous countries in the world that is known around the world for containing a lot of islands. Also, you will be able to see a lot of historic stories and very diverse cultures in this country. Greece is also very well known and famous as the Hellenic Republic. It is the birthplace of democracy and many inventions of math, which are still an important base of science. The history, culture, and rich traditions of the country helps to attract a lot of people from other countries. Some of the greatest attractions of all time are situated here.
More than 11 million people live in the city and attract around 33 million visitors every year. From the tales of the Olympic games to mythology, you will be able to know a lot of stories in this country. From foods to clothes, you will be able to get the cultural touch in everything. However, there are some things that you need to know before visiting the country. As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to follow things to keep the country green.
- Along with the traditional cuisines, make sure to try the street foods as well. You will be able to get a very good eating experience and support the small street vendors as most of them are dependent on tourism
- There are many city parks in the country in all the major cities that provide fresh air to the visitors. If you want to get closer to nature, then make sure to visit these parks far from the crowd
- Although there are different options available to stay in the country, choosing green hotels for stay is best for you as an eco-friendly traveler. It will help the city to stay clean
- Instead of fuel cars, choose electronic cars to reduce the air pollution of the city. There are also many local transportations available to move around the city that saves money and reduce pollution
- During your trip to this country, try to support the local vendors as much as you can. Purchase items from them to help them out and save a lot of money
Air Quality and Pollution
When planning to visit Greece, you need to know about air quality. It plays a major role in staying healthy during the trip. You might get sick if the air quality is bad in the country, which can ruin the whole traveling experience. However, the air quality of this city is around good to moderate. So, you will be able to get a very good experience in this country most of the time. However, if the air quality is moderate, then travelers can have different breathing problems during the trip.
Especially, some conditions like serious breathing problems and asthma can cause health problems for travelers. So, you need to take many precautions before visiting the country. It is best to take the help of doctors to know which medicines you need to carry during the trip. Also, make sure to carry some masks with you to stay safe during the trip. The average air quality index of the country keeps changing, make sure to check it before visiting Greece.
Respect the Culture
One of the most important things that you need to keep in mind is respecting the unique culture of the country. Greece is known around the world for its unique culture and traditions. Some of the most crucial parts of the country are theatre and literature. You will be able to see the influence of them in everything on the country. Architectural wonders are also a very good thing that makes Greece different from all the other countries.
The Roman culture and empires have a history of staying and ruling the country and still have a very deep impact on Greece culture. More than 98% of people that you will come across in this country belong to Christian Orthodox or Greeks. Other than that, some of the other religions belong to the rest of 2% such as Jewish, Muslims, Roman Catholics, and others.
The best way to observe the culture and traditions of this country is by choosing to visit at Christmas or Easter. You can also take a look at their daily lifestyle or food choices to know a lot about their culture. The lifestyle of the Greek people is very different compared to western countries. They are more focused on traditions, church, patriotism, and family. The festivals play a very important role in the country to keep the culture and traditions stay as good as past times.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Greece is not only famous around the world for having a great culture and unique traditions, famous attractions are also a very important part. Tourists from different countries visit Greece to witness some world-famous places in the country. There are places that are declared as World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. Some of these places will make you stunned and help you to know a lot of stories about the past of the country such as the Roman empire, history of the country, history of wars, and others. Here are the top 10 places given below that you need to include in your list during your trip to Greece.
- Acropolis - Needless to say or introduce this popular destination that is famous around the world. Located In the capital of Greece, this is known to be a famous symbol of both Greece and Athens. This is a rocky mound in the middle of Athens with three temples including Parthenon. The shiny temple is visible from a great distance along with the columns. The history and stories of this palace will also make you a lot interested
- Santorini - Greece is known for having a lot of islands throughout the country but Santorini is one of the most popular among them. You will be able to see some of the best towns on the island with clifftop buildings named Oia and Fira. It is a very romantic location that is mostly chosen for honeymoons or weddings. The white and blue color of the buildings makes it look more attractive
- Delphi - As mentioned earlier, Greece offers a lot of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the country and this one is one of them. This palace is located 180km northwest of Athens and near the Greek mainland on Mount Parnassus. This site was used by the pilgrimages to worship the god of light, music, prophecy, and healing named Pollo. The ruins of a stadium, theater, and multiple temples are still there that dates back to the 2nd to 8th century BC
- Meteora Monasteries - Another UNESCO World Heritage Site is the Meteora Monasteries that are well known around the world. It is one of the most unusual eye-soothing sites that attract a lot of tourists every year. The monasteries were built on the top of rocky outcrops for centuries in the Meteora region. You will need to walk up to these monasteries through the mountains to witness the best religious ambiance. It takes more than 1 day to explore all the areas and visit all the monasteries
- Zakynthos - Apart from the mountains, there are some unbelievable places hidden in the seas as well. The Zakynthos island is one of the top tourist destinations in the country that offers great scenic beauty and views to the customers both under and above the water. The sand beaches, sea caves, and pebbles of the island make it very popular. There are also many options available to participate in different outdoor activities in the blue water as well
- Nafplion - This place is also known as the most beautiful city in Greece. A great place to witness by the travelers as well as local people. It gets a lot crowded at the weekends as it is a favorite destination for wealthy Athenians. Once upon a time, it was the capital city of Greece before Athens became the new capital in 1834. The best thing about this city is that there are no cars in the city
- Mykonos - Apart from the islands mentioned above, there is also another island available in Greece that you can visit to witness the glamorous lifestyle. The town gets very attractive after the sun goes down. Live music to classy restaurants, there are plenty of things in the town that creates a great atmosphere for the travelers. Other attractions on the island include sand beaches, water activities, Paraportiani, and others
- Corfu - If you want to hang out in a quiet place far from the crowd of the town, then this is the best destination for you. Corfu Town is very popular as a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with many historical stories. This Island is located in the west of the mainland that was ruled by Venetians. Some romantic lanes are available in the town that provides a very good experience. Along with the crystal clear water and sand beaches, you will be able to participate in some outdoor activities as well
- Rhodes Town - Rhodes is very popular and one of the largest Dodecanese islands in Greece. The capital of the island Rhodes Town comes on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list for the impressive decoration and system. It is also an island that is free of cars and comes with a great fortification system. From monumental towers to other things in the town will help you to get a very good experience of traveling
- Samaria Gorge - If you like to visit an outdoor place in the country, then Samaria Gorge is the best choice for you. It is very well known for its natural beauty and other things. There are also many outdoor activities available in the city that you can participate in like hiking, trekking, and others. It also offers the Samaria National Park that is a UNESCO Heritage Site
Before visiting the country, make sure to know all the different places that you need to visit in the country. Exploring is a very important part to know the cultures and traditions of the country very well. Greece is filled with many famous attractions that help to get a very good traveling experience to travelers. From mountains to seas, everything is available in this country that helps to provide many scenic beauties.
Some of the outdoor activities will help you very much to get a very good adventure in the country. From rock climbing to water activities, everything is available in the country. Make sure to explore all the different cities in the country as all of them offer different foods, clothes, cultures, and traditions to the travelers. There are plenty of islands available in the country that helps to boost the exploration experience for the travelers.
Some of these islands are very popular around the world and unique. The cultural and lifestyle differences in the mainland of Greece and these islands will make you stunned. You will be able to see differences in clothes, foods, items, buildings, and other things on these islands.
As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to visit the city parks of the country that can help you to get the best experience of nature and fresh air. There are plenty of city parks available in the country that can help you to get away from the crowd of cities. They are very well suited to spend a lot of time and get a good experience. Most of the local people visit these parks to take a break in their schedule or morning walk. You need to know what are the best city parks available in the country that you can visit for the best views and experiences. Some of the famous ones are listed below with details.
- Lycabettus - This is one of the most interesting parks in the country that helps you to enjoy the view of some of the landmarks like Acropolis, Salamina Island, and many more. This park is located in Athens on Lykavittos Hill. This park is also very well used for walking, trekking, and other activities
- Zappeion Garden - This park is also situated in the capital city Athens and best for nature loves. Travelers can get a view of the neoclassical building that was built for the very first Olympic Games. The long garden filled with trees makes it very quiet and offers fresh air to visitors
Greece offers a lot of national parks to travelers that help to explore the wildlife very well. If you love to get close to nature and explore the wild animals, trees, and other things, then there are many options available to choose from. Among all the famous national parks in the city, here are the top ones that you can visit for the best wildlife experience.
- Olympus National Park - The first one that comes to mind while talking about national parks is the Olympus National Park, which is well known as the most beautiful national park in the country. The national park offers great mythology, history, and ecology that will make you stunned. Located only 100km far from Thessaloniki city, this park attracts a lot of travelers every year. You will be able to climb the tallest mountain in Greece and hear the stories of 12 Olympian Gods residing here
- Vikos - Aoos National Park - This is another very beautiful park in Greece that is located in Ioannina city, Zagori region. The mention of this park is also available in the Guinness book of records as it contains the deepest gorge in the world. Some spectacular views of the hills will give you a great hiking and trekking experience along with the green. There are some lakes available in this national park that makes it look incredible
If you like to visit some of the best beaches in the country, then Greece will not disappoint you. There are many beaches available in the country that you can visit to have the best experience. Greece is known for containing a lot of islands in the country. These islands are world-famous and offer a lot of sand beaches to travelers. From enjoying sunset to long walks on the beaches, you will be able to do them all. Here are some of the famous beaches in Greece that you can visit to have the best experience.
- Elafonissi - This beach is considered to be the best beach in Greece, which is located on Crete island. It offers a long beach along with crystal clear water. You will be able to see your feet clearly inside the water, which makes it worth a visit. You will get some accommodation nearby to stay as long as you want on the island
- Plaka Beach - This is the best beach among all the other beaches on Naxos Island. The blue water of this beach makes it very eye-soothing. You will be able to walk down the beach, enjoy sunset or sunrise, and outdoor activities on this beach. From the town of this island, it is very near, and you will be able to reach by taking a bus
Landmarks are the best attractions in a country that invite tourists from different countries. Greece offers a lot of them throughout the country that is known around the world. Some of them also come in the list of UNESCO Heritage Sites. You will be able to learn a lot of history and mythology stories about a lot of them. So, these are some of the landmarks in the country that you need to visit during your trip to Greece.
- Acropolis of Athens - Needless to say, this is the very first thing that comes to mind when talking about the landmarks in Greece. Acropolis is located in the capital city of Athens, which is considered to be one of the oldest and ancient sites in the country. This structure is a UNESCO Heritage Site that is very well popular around the world and clearly visible from most of the places in Athens city. Make sure to visit the site as early as possible to avoid the crowd of people and enjoy the quiet
- Temple of Olympian Zeus - This temple dates back to more than a thousand years and still stands very well in Athens city. As the name suggests, the temple is dedicated to the Greek god Zeus. This tall structure of the temple is also known to be the largest ever built temple in the ancient world. You will be able to reach this place very easily as it is only 500m from the Acropolis
As Greece is very well known for having a rich history, it attracts a lot of history lovers to this country every year. People around the country love to visit this country to know the history and mythology of this country. If you also love to explore the history of the country, then the best option for that is the Museums. There are plenty of museums available in the country that will help you a lot to know the history and culture of the country. Here are some of the must-visit museums in the country that will help you very much in your history exploration in Greece.
- Acropolis Museum - This is one of the best and famous museums in the country that is situated in Athens. You will be able to see a lot of archaeological excavations, galleries, artifacts, exhibits, statues, pictures, and many other things in this museum. It will help you to know more about Greece and get a very good experience in exploring the history of the country. Many travel writers have also voted this museum as the best museum in the world. From goddess Athena to powerful god Zeus, you will be able to see and learn a lot about the mythology
- National Archaeological Museum - This national museum is the largest museum in Greece among all the others. This museum is also located in Athens that is known for housing a lot of historic collections, treasures, sculptures, and many other things. You will find out about many great civilizations that were here in the country in the past times. The artifacts and galleries tell a very good story about the history of this country
The best thing about visiting a country is witnessing the different lifestyles of the local people. Food is one of the best ways to explore the lifestyle and understand the culture. The diversity is clearly visible in the food of Greece as there are different kinds of dishes available throughout the country. From seafood to well-known traditional dishes, it keeps changing from city to city and on every island of Greece.
Although traditional food is the first thing that you need to choose upon stepping into the country, there are some other types of food as well that can provide your good experience. Some of the common ones like street foods, vegan dishes, organic dishes are quite popular in the country and very much available. No matter which place you choose to stay in this country, one of the things that you will surely get is seafood. As Greece is known for containing a lot of beaches, you will be able to see a lot of seafood dishes everywhere you go.
These dishes are made with the seasonal spices of Greece in a traditional way that makes it worth visiting the country. For a proper food experience, make sure to try different food eating places in the country from expensive restaurants to tasty street foods. Try to visit the restaurant after booking the tables in advance to avoid waiting in line.
One of the best friends of travelers during their exploration in different countries is the drinks. It helps them to stay refreshed and get the energy back to cover all the exciting places. Every traveler carries water or energy drinks with them to stay refreshed during the exploration of the country. In Greece, you will be able to see a wide range of drinks from soft to alcohol. However, the first drink that you need to try upon entering the country is the traditional drinks. There are many traditional drinks available that help to know the culture and traditions of the country better. Ouzo is the national drink of Greece that is made using an admixture of alcohol and different herbs.
Apart from that, there are also many different types of alcohols and drinks are available in the country such as Metaxa, Tsipouro, Rakomelo, Restina, Frappe Coffee, and craft beer as well. The nightlife is pretty good throughout the country and there are many beaches that get decorated very well for parties. You can visit them to get a wide collection of drinks. Some soft drinks and mix juices are pretty food to take care of the health during your trip. Most of the drinks come at a very low price and are easily available throughout the cities in Greece.
Before visiting any country, you need to know the quality of tap water there. It will help you to prepare well and stay healthy during your whole trip. Although in most of the countries, mineral water and packaged water is available at different prices, many countries use tap water as they are very clean and drinkable. When it comes to the tap water of Greece, it is completely safe to drink in most places.
There are some places near the sea where the tap water might be a bit brackish, many people choose to use bottled water in those specific areas. So, during your trip to Greece, you will have to use both tap water and packaged water for drinking and other purposes. You can boil and filter the tap water well before drinking for more safety.
In places where tap water is not as good as entire Greece, you will find bottled water in almost all restaurants, food stores, grocery stores, and cafes. It will help you a lot to get drinkable water wherever and whenever you want. Most of them also come at a very reasonable price, which makes it a good option. Apart from drinking, the tap water is also used for many instances such as brushing teeth, washing clothes, etc.
One of the most common reasons for traveling to different countries in the activities. Many travelers look for different activities in a country to participate and gain a new experience. Greece offers plenty of activities that will not only help you to get a very good experience but know the history of the country very well. As the country is very well known for containing a lot of memorable places and monuments of history, you will get a very good traveling experience.
From Acropolis to different islands, the country has many activities to offer for travelers. Also, many festivals take place in Greece that attracts a lot of people from different countries. You can participate in these festivals to witness and enjoy some of the best activities. Apart from the famous attractions and festivals, you will also get to many outdoor activities in this country.
As the country has hills, sea, and forest, all different types of activities are available here. From hiking, trekking, rock climbing, walking, to water sports like scuba dive, fishing, and others are available in the country. You can visit different islands and forests in the country to get some unforgettable exploring experience. However, make sure to book spots for some of the outdoor activities in advance to ensure your spot.
Accommodation is one of the most important things to keep in mind while traveling to different countries as it can greatly boost the travel experience. A night of good sleep and rest is very important every day to explore the country with the same energy the next day. One of the best ways to do it by choosing good accommodation. Greece is a very popular location around the world for history, stories, monuments, and different things.
Every year, a huge number of tourists visit this country to explore these things. So, you will find a lot of accommodation options here from expensive to cheap ones. You will need to choose a good accommodation for you based on your budget, staying duration, and others. Some of the most common options that you will get in this country for the stay are hotels, hostels, guest houses, apartments, camps, and many others.
However, to keep the city safe from pollution and reduce waste, this country offers some green hotels as well. As an eco-friendly traveler, you will be able to stay comfortably in these hotels while contributing to the city to stay clean. The price and features of green hotels are almost the same as the average hotels. So, here are some of the accommodation options that you can choose for your stay in the country in detail.
Green hotels are one of the safest ways to stay for eco-friendly travelers. If you are staying in the country for a short time, then green hotels are the best way of accommodation. It will not only help the city to stay clean but ensure safety to your health. The green hotels are much like average hotels but they use eco-friendly ways and recyclable items to keep the city clean from waste.
From water to light sources, the green hotels use as many green natural sources as possible. Some of the green hotels are available at a low price while others are expensive. All the different types of benefits are available that you can use in these green hotels to stay healthy. It is best to take the help of online services to book green hotels. Otherwise, you might have to wait a lot of time to get a room in these hotels.
The green hotels have become very popular in the last few years. So, many tourists choose to stay in these hotels for their best-staying experience. Also, make sure to know the name of green hotels before visiting the country. Play your part during the stay in these hotels to keep it clean and free from pollution.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are thinking of staying for more than 3 weeks in this country, then choosing hotels can be very expensive for you. Hostels and guest houses are the best choice for you that will give a very nice stay and save your money. Although there are some expensive guest houses and hostels available in Greece, most of them are cheap and pocket-friendly.
Despite having a very low price, they do not compromise with any facilities and benefits. You will be able to get almost all the basic and some extra benefits from them. Options such as sharing rooms are also available to distribute the room charge with others. Many hostels and guest houses are available throughout the country. It helps to save a lot of money and provide good rest for the customers.
Before staying in these places, it is best to book the rooms online to ensure your room. Many hostels and guest houses are very famous and get filled very quickly. Compared to hotels, the number of rooms in most of the guesthouses and hostels are also very low. So, booking in advance is mandatory for staying in hostels and guest houses.
The apartment is the best choice for you, If you are thinking of staying for some months in the city. Staying in other accommodation options for months can be very expensive. Renting apartments starts at a very cheap price that helps to save a lot of money in the long stays. As Greece is a very popular location for travelers, you will be able to get a lot of apartments available for your stay in almost every city in this country.
Apartments provide many advantages and benefits for travelers to stay comfortable during the trip. There are cheap to expensive apartments available in different ranges that help to provide some premium features to the travelers. If you are choosing a medium price or low price apartment to stay in the city, then you will also be able to get to know a lot about the culture. In most of the apartments, you will be surrounded by local people that will help you to know and observe their lifestyle from up close.
From learning the local languages to know about their lifestyle, you will be able to know them very well. There are some specific places in Greece, where you might not get apartments to stay in. You will need to choose some other options in those areas. So, it is best to take the help of locals or online services to know the availability of apartments.
Couchsurfing is the best way for travelers to save money and know the culture very well in their travel location. You will be able to know a lot about the country and other information by choosing it. This accommodation option is getting popular in the world and available in almost all countries. Greece is one of the countries, where Couchsurfing is widely available. It is absolutely safe and a very good option for your stay in the country as long as you want.
Couchsurfing is a group of travelers that help out other travelers by offering them shelter and food while visiting their home town or country. You will be able to find many hosts in the country who are ready to give shelter and food to other travelers. However, if you are thinking of Couchsurfing, then make sure to do it from a very early time to get all the things prepared before starting the journey.
It takes a lot of time to find a host and talk with them about the stay and other things. Choosing this way to stay in the country will help you very much to enjoy some benefits such as knowing the different places in the country, observing the lifestyle of local people from up close, know the traditions, taste the local dishes, learn the language, and many more.
Camping is for people who like to feel nature while staying in the country. Many travelers are out there who like to make the journey more adventurous and get close to nature. Camping is one of the best ways to stay under the open sky and enjoy the spectacular views of different mountains, forests, and lakes. Greece has a lot of camping spots in different corners and cities. You will be able to get a very good camping experience in this country as well.
Most of the camping spots are available in different hills, forests, lakes, and other places. Also, as Greece offers a lot of islands, you will be able to get some of the best camping spots on those islands. Most of the camping spots have all the basic facilities like toilets, food arrangements, and others. They are not very expensive but provide very spectacular and wonderful views for travelers.
Travelers around the world book these camping spots to experience a unique stay in Greece. So, if you are thinking of booking one, then do it in advance on the online services. While staying in the camps, you will also be able to participate in many outdoor activities like bonfires, walking on the hills, trekking, hiking, rock climbing, and others based on the location.
Getting There and Moving Around
Exploring a country depends on the duration of staying in a country and choosing the way to explore. So, you need to know what are the options available to you for getting in the country and moving around the cities in it. Although the most common way to travel to Greece is by air, there are also many other ways available. Most of the other modes of transportation take a longer time to reach the destination but helps you to enjoy the side scenes. There are many beautiful places that you will need to cross to reach the country.
Choosing trains, cars, and other ways of traveling can help you to see them. Also, the fares of all modes of transportation are a lot different. When it comes to visiting the country, you might need to break your journey based on your location. You might be able to reach the country directly from the other countries nearby by road or water, but that option is not available from the other countries.
To move around the country, you will get various transportation options in different parts. While some of them are eco friendly, others produce pollution. Choose different modes of transportations based on how fast you want to reach the destination, budget for traveling around, comfortability, and others. Here are some common modes of transportations are given below in detail.
As mentioned above, Air is the most popular way to travel to the city and get around. The best thing about traveling by air is that you will be able to save a lot of time on the journey. It takes very less time compared to other modes of transportations to reach the country from other countries. As the flights are well connected with international airports around the world, you will be able to get a flight to Greece from most of the locations.
Greece has a total of 15 international airports, and most of them are located on different islands. Among all the other ones, the most used and busiest airport in the city is the Athens city airport. As more than 14 islands have their own airport, traveling to different corners of Greece is quite simple and easy. However, there are some of the things that you need to keep in mind before choosing a flight for your journey.
The most important one is that the fare of flight is far more expensive than the other modes of transportations. Another is that you will not be able to see any scenic beauties on your way to the country and other cities. If you want to get a discount on the flight tickets, then you will need to book the tickets very early.
Buses are one of the most commonly chosen forms of transport in the country that local people use in their daily life. From local bus to intercity buses, all of the different options available in this country that will help you to both explore a place using a bus and move from city to city using a bus. The bus charges for the bus is very low compared to all the other modes of transportation.
You will be able to have a very good time riding buses as they are comfortable and help to know more about daily life, the culture of the country. It is best to use buses if you like to see the scenic beauties on your way to the different locations in the country. As the buses are well connected, the traveling experience by buses will be very good. However, when it comes to reaching the city by bus, you will not be able to do it from most of the countries.
As direct buses are not available from all the countries, you will need to break your journey. But a bus journey to this country can help you to get a very good traveling experience on the road. Some of the moments of the journey will be very memorable to you on the road. There are all facilities available on the way to the destination that will help you to reach safely.
No matter which country you are traveling to, the second most common option that people choose to travel after flights is the train. They are very popular for providing a completely different traveling experience to the customers. Traveling by train to another country can take a lot more time than a flight. However, the journey is as comfortable as flights with plenty of available facilities.
The best thing about traveling by train is that you will be able to see all the beautiful scenes on the road. Unlike a bus or other transportation, there is no chance of getting delayed while traveling by trains as there is no traffic available on the railways. Greece is connected via trains from many nearby countries but from most of the places, you will not get direct trains.
When it comes to traveling inside the country, a train is one of the most comfortable options for tourists. Local people prefer to travel from one city to another on the Greek railway system. However, you will not be able to travel to the islands in Greece using trains. There are no railways connected to different islands in Greece. But trains are very frequent in different cities that help to cover the country and famous attractions in a short time. Make sure to book the tickets online to ensure your seats on the train and prevent waiting on the waiting list.
Hitchhiking has gained a lot of popularity in a very short time around the world. This is one of the best ways to travel to any destination without spending much money. Although it takes a lot of time to reach the country, it provides a very good adventurous journey to the destination. From most of the countries, hitchhiking is available for tourists to visit Greece. It is a method of taking a lift on the way from people who are going toward the country.
As Greece is connected well via road to other countries, you will be able to hitchhike your way through the country very easily. You will get some of the best experience on your way to the country as there are plenty of scenes available along the way. Almost all the roads are busy and well connected, which makes it easier to get a lift. You have to not wait much on the road as the highways have a good reputation for hitchhiking.
However, the place of waiting is very important to get a lift successfully on your way. Choose places like petrol pumps or highway tolls to get a lift easily as most of the cars get slow in these places. Also, on your way to the country by hitchhiking, make sure to carry some of the necessary things with you such as water, dry fruits, a map, and others. It will help you to stay safe and healthy in the long journey and prevent you from getting lost.
These are not the only ways to reach Greece or move around the country. There are many other modes of transportations available that help to get an unforgettable experience of traveling. One of the most common ways to reach the city is by choosing a four-wheeler or two-wheeler to reach the destination using the road. Although it is not as common as other options, many road biking or car touring groups like to travel to different locations this way.
It might take a lot more time to reach but helps to get a wonderful journey experience. As the country is located near the Aegean and Ionian seas, you will be able to visit the country from many other countries by water as well. There are also many other ways to move from a city to another in Greece. Trains, cars, and buses might be very good options to move around the cities of Greece, but none of them are available on the islands.
You will be able to move to the island using the ferry, cruise, boat, and air. So, water is also a very important way to move around the country that you can use to reach all the beautiful attractions of Greece. Some of them might be more expensive than the normal way of transportation, and others are eco friendly.
No matter which country you are choosing to travel to, shopping is a very essential part. It helps to understand the culture very well and know more about their tradition. Bringing some of the things such as souvenirs or items for the loved ones is a very common activity for travelers. Instead of normal shopping, people around the world are now choosing sustainable shopping that helps to shop wonderful things at low prices and reduce the waste of the city.
Greece is known for offering rich history and monuments that are world-famous. So, you will be able to get some of the popular markets in the country that offer antique and vintage items. If you like to add some rare items to your collection, then Greece is the perfect place for you. There are plenty of flea markets and second-hand markets available in the country that can help you to get some of the high-quality items at a low price.
Purchasing from the small shops will support them a lot as most of them are dependent on tourism. From clothes to accessories, different types of items are available in these markets. Make sure to visit the markets early to get the best items before they go out. You will be stunned to see some of the historical items here that date back many years.
Just like any other country, recycling is a very important thing for Greece also. In the last few years, most countries have come forward to recycle as much as they can to make the world a safer place. The recycling process of Greece was not up to the mark for a long time. More than 81 percent of municipal waste used to go to the landfills, which is far more than most of the western countries.
Only 16 percent of the municipal waste used to be recycled but things have changed a lot now. They have taken many initiatives in the last few years to recycle as much they can and make the country free of wastes. They might have taken the step to recycle a lot later compared to other countries but made a lot of progress in a short time.
Greece is at the top of the list of struggling countries in the European Union in recycling. They have started very late and have a lot of development in the country to process for filling the gap of recycling with other countries. Many local people are still not aware of the condition of wastes in their country. Governments have taken some steps to improve the process and use the wastes in different places as recycled. Make sure to play your part as an eco-friendly traveler in this country during your trip to keep Greece free from waste.
Waste production is a very crucial issue that is arising from most of the countries. Although most of the countries have taken steps to improve the environment and reduce waste collection. Greece is not one of the fast runners in this case as they did not take any steps to improve the condition earlier. Compared to other countries, they have started very late and the waste products of the country used to be more than in other European countries.
Since 2006, solid waste has increased a lot in the country. In a short time, waste records have increased by more than 2000 kt. In this increase in waste, plastic, paper, and putrescible played a huge role. The landfill is the most common way to dump the wastes in Greece as more than 80% of waste was used to get dumped in them. However. There are many other ways available as well in the country. They have started to separate the waste from solid and recyclable. Along with the government, many private companies have started to support and provide all the necessary things.
Work and Study Abroad
Greece is popular in the world for having a lot of historical places and history. Many travelers do not know about the working and student culture in the county. Education in Greece is far better than in many other countries. The land of gods also offers attractive courses to foreign students. During your trip to the country, you will be able to find a lot of students from different countries who are staying in the country and completing their education.
There are also many universities available in the country that offer benefits like exchange students that help the students to study in the country at a low price. Apart from that, there are many migrants as well who are working and living their life pretty well. Plenty of jobs are available in the country that helps workers from different countries to earn a lot.
Jobs like Au Pair and volunteering are also available that help you to contribute toward the country to stay safe and help out the local people. The education system has improved a lot from the past times, which is attracting students from different countries. Here are some of the things that will help you to know more about the benefits and facilities for foreign students.
As mentioned above, exchange students are one of the most helpful benefits that help the students to study at other universities at a low cost. It is getting popular around the world, and most of the universities of different countries have partnerships to offer this facility to their students. The best thing about this facility is that students can study at foreign universities only with the college fee.
Most of the reputed universities have partnerships with other universities in different countries. Many students are living in the country and studying successfully with the help of the exchange student. If you want to take the help of this benefit to study in Greece, then you have to know if the home university has a partnership with any universities in Greece.
To get this benefit, you will need to get nominated by your home university. Only if you are nominated, and your university has a partnership with Greece's universities, then you will be able to study there using an exchange student. You can check which colleges or universities in Greece have partnerships with your college using online services.
Au Pair is a very helpful facility or job for foreign students and workers. It is a very helpful facility that is popular around the world. Most of the people take the help of this job in the initial stage of their settling in the country. With the help of this facility, you will be able to get shelter, food, and some pocket money.
In exchange for all this, you have to take care of the house, children, or elderly person. It is available in most of the cities and islands of Greece. However, you will need to take the help of online services to find the host easily. Make sure to contact them earlier as the process takes some time. You will also be able to avoid all the last time hassle and get to know them.
Volunteering is known to be one of the best ways to contribute toward the country and make it a safer or cleaner place for travelers. As an eco-friendly traveler, you can volunteer for many different jobs in the country. From keeping the famous attractions of the country clean to reaching English or any other languages to the local people.
It will also help you to know a lot about the local people, their culture, their traditions, and many other things. You can take a look at the online services to see what are the list of available jobs that you can choose to volunteer. You will come across many foreigners who are participating in the volunteering works in the country.