Eco-friendly travel guide to Mallorca advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Mallorca, Spain.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$30 - $700
- Budget per day: US$80 - $950
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Mallorca is an island situated in Spain that is known to be the largest in the Mediterranean Region. It is a very famous tourist destination in the country and many visitors every year gather on this beautiful island to see the beauty, culture, eat the foods, and witness a memorable time on this island. The beaches are very beautiful and attract tourists from all around the world.
The number of tourists is around 35 million people per year that come to this beautiful beach and enjoy the beauty. You will be able to get a very different experience on this island from any other city in Spain. The vibrancy of the culture and many other things make it a very special place to make a trip. As an eco-friendly traveler, these are the points that you need to keep in mind while traveling to Mallorca.
- One of the most important things that you need to keep in mind is visiting the parks on the island. As an eco-friendly traveler, you will be able to get a great time on the green parks and gardens of the island. It will help you to get fresh air and get closer to nature.
- On your trip to Mallorca, you will get many different options available, but make sure to choose the green hotels to keep the island free from pollution and waste. There are many green hotels on the island that use natural resources to provide benefits.
- Along with all the big restaurants to try the local cuisines, make sure to try the street foods as well. The street foods of this island are one of a kind that will help you to get a very good experience.
- Although there are many different options available that you can use to travel around the island, most of them are run by fuel and increase pollution. To keep the island safe and free from pollution, you can use electronic cars that will help to reduce air pollution and your money.
- During your stay on this island, try to buy the local goods from small shops to help out the local people. Most of the people are dependent on tourism, eating or purchasing items from local shops will help them very much.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality of the Mallorca island stays between good to moderate. It fluctuates very much during different seasons, which makes it very unpredictable. So, it is best to take all the precautions before going to the island. You can take the help of the doctors to know what are the things that you need to carry with you. If you have any health problems, such as serious breathing issues, asthma, and others, then the air quality can be very bad for you.
Although the air quality stays good most of the time of the year on this island, if there are any changes then, you will be able to take the help of medicines, masks, and others to stay safe in the city. The average AQI (Air Quality Index) of this island is around 25 most of the time. You will be able to get a very good experience of traveling this island with all the precautions.
Respect the Culture
One of the things that you need to keep in mind while traveling to the island is respecting the culture. The culture of this island is very unique and different from other cities in Spain. Most of the island is filled with Catalan culture, different from Spain and other cities in the country. From dresses to other customs, they have their own uniqueness that makes it very very good to witness. If you are lucky, you will be able to find different festivals on the island that will help you to get a great time in this place.
Also, make sure to see the bullfights to understand the culture and fun activities of the local people. All the coastlines, beaches, secluded coves, mountains made of limestone, wineries, architecture, and other things will make it a very memorable time. From beaches to hotels, you will be able to see all the stunning traditions of the locals. This island is a heaven for travelers who want to witness the culture and traditions along with the local people’s lifestyle.
Top 10 Places to Visit
You will see that the island of Mallorca is very popular among tourists all over the world. They visit here every year and want to have a lovely experience of their trip. There is no doubt that you will also love it and get a nice enjoyment. But if you want to make your trip more interesting, then visit these top ten places.
- Catedral-Basílica de Santa María de Mallorca- It is one of the finest cathedrals which gives you brief information about Roman history. You have to visit here and get a fair knowledge about something which you have never known earlier. But if you think that this place is nothing, then no one can help you with knowing how powerful the Romans were.
- Drach Caves- If you want to get inside a cave and feel its atmosphere, then it is the right scope for you. Once you get into the depth of it, then you may get lost in the woods. In the beginning, you may feel scared, but as soon as you visit here, you will get special courage.
- Botanicactus- This botanical garden is filled with a wide range of cactus plants. The moment you see them, then they will become your point of attraction so easily. And take a camera with you to capture their pictures and save it as your memory.
- Palma- It is a live aquarium that will allow you to have exposure to different types of sea creatures. Just go for it and see how you would want to share this experience among your beloved persons. There are no such tourists who miss it because this is something which they might have never seen before.
- Santuari De Lluc- This is a famous monastery where you will get some of the best historical artifacts. See them carefully, and you will get to learn a lot of things about them in a brief manner. Please make a note of this place and mark it as very important in your travel diaries.
- Sant @en.francesc- This church was built in the year 1281 and is still popular today. The reason behind this thing is that the architecture is beautiful and tells you many things about the early ages. Another reason is that this place is so holy that your expectations can be fulfilled if you wish from your true heart.
- Pirates Adventure- Do not go by its name because it is not an adventure tour but a theatre where you can feel the pirates. Experience their shows, and you will know that how they invaded the ships. If you ever think of missing it, then you would curse yourself throughout life.
- Jardines de Alfabia- People in the city call it a garden, but it is a home that was established in the 18th century. Here you will get plants and water fountains of the older days. They always become a point of attraction, and people always adore them.
- Safari Zoo- In this zoo, you will find a wide variety of wild animals and know about them in detail. Get an opportunity to interact with them and take their photographs. This would not only give you an experience but will also teach you something very different.
- Fundació Pilar I Joan Miró in Mallorca- An art center where you will get to see various artistic works by different artists and painters. You might not be an art lover, but after seeing their works you will get attracted to them. Just try it out and see how amazing it is, and there would not be any chances of disappointment.
Now when it comes to exploring the island, then these ten places are not enough. You have to try some of the best city parks and museums as they will give you a wonderful experience. In this part of the article, we will know about them and make you free from all your doubts.
- Parc de Les Estacions- This park is not so big, but it is a lovely place for children of all ages. Bring them over here, and they will have fun throughout the whole day. Besides them, you will also enjoy and forget all the depressions in your life.
- Sa Falca Verda- You can say that this park is for those people who want to find peace. The ambiance is calm, and you would have an exposure of relaxation. Never miss the opportunity of visiting here because it might not come again and again.
- Parc De Pocoyo- It does not have any feedback, but you have to make a fair attempt of visiting here. Just come here for a walk and then you will find it more fascinating. And it is guaranteed that you will get unlimited happiness, which was beyond the level of your imagination.
- TirolinasGo Mallorca Forestal Park- It is a forest cum park where you can go for having some adventurous activities. These are activities like rope climbing, rappelling, and many others. Go for them, and you will have the most fascinating experience of your life.
- Parque Sa Riera- Without any doubt, we can say that this place is awesome and can give you an extraordinary feeling. You cannot miss it because here you will also get the most beautiful lavenders. Their fragrance signifies the real meaning of beauty, and you will love them to the fullest.
- S' Arenal- People love this beach, and they want to spend most of their precious time over here. It is guaranteed that after coming here, you would want to get absorbed and never feel like returning back.
- Castell de Bellver- It was established in the 14th century and gives you brief information about the most prominent Spanish king called James. Here you will know about the king's contribution to giving freedom to the country. People call it a boring place which does not have any interesting activities and many other things like that. But you have to come here and make your own opinion.
- Carthusian Monastery Valldemossa- Believe it or not, but this palace entices the majority of the city tourists. It takes you back to the age of 1399 and depicts a lot of things about what use to happen at that time.
- Museum of Mallorca- You will see that this museum is widespread all over the internet. It is because it promotes the cultural heritage of the city and has better validity. Have a nice tour of it, and get to discover the actual beauty.
- Es Baluard- You cannot imagine that this place has almost 700 crafts made by the most popular artists. Once you study them, then you would have an eagerness to know most of their details. After trying it, you would want to narrate the stories of here to your friends and relatives.
- Museu Fundación Juan March- If you search this place on Google, then you will see how famous it is. Everyone has given their good reviews and ratings after exploring it. In other words, it showcases some amazing craftworks of the Spanish artists.
Food is one of the most important things that will help you to get the best eating experience on the island. From local foods to international, you will be able to get many different dishes on this island. From the local foods to Spanish famous dishes are available here. You will be able to get many restaurants on the island that serve local foods and Spanish food cuisines to the customers. From beaches to famous destinations, you will be able to get many street food stalls on the island that offer famous and tasty street foods to travelers.
From seafood to vegan foods, you will get all types of foods available on this island. Some of the most popular foods in Mallorca include Frito Mallorquin, Sobrassada, Porcella, and others. You can search for some of the famous restaurants and food stalls on the island to eat these dishes. However, if you need help with food, then here is some information about a different type of food that can help you to have a great time on the island.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Above all the other foods and dishes, make sure to try the traditional dishes first to get the best experience of the culture and food choices of the local people. You will find many traditional restaurants on the island that offer delicious foods to the customers. The traditional foods of this place are very different from all the other cities in Spain because of the cultural differences.
The unique and raw taste of traditional foods makes it unique and memorable. However, you need to know what are the best places on the island that you can visit to have the best traditional foods. Here are some of the names given below to make things easier for you.
- Es Verger - When it comes to tasting the traditional foods of the island, Es Verger is one of the most popular restaurants for offering tasty Mallorquin cuisine. You have to travel a bit to reach the place from the city center.
- Es Guix - Located on the Tramuntana mountain, this is one of the best places for traditional foods. You will get the best suckling pig on the island here.
Vegetarian and Vegan
Do not get worried if you are vegetarian, you will get as many options available as non-vegetarian dishes on the island. As there are many vegetarian local people living on the island, there are many vegetarian restaurants available where you can easily get plenty of vegetarian dishes. Here are some of the best vegetarian restaurants that are available on the island that you can visit.
- Villa Vegana at Finca Son Olive - This is one of the best restaurants that are available on the island. You will be able to get traditional to international vegetarian dishes on the island such as plant-based dishes and cuisines.
- Fal&Feel - This is another restaurant that you can visit to get delicious vegan foods. Some of the best vegan dishes are served here at reasonable prices. Some of the specialties of this restaurant include falafel pita and many other famous dishes.
Street foods are very popular on this island from veg to non-vegetarian. You will be able to get many different types of street foods. In every corner of the island, you will be able to get many street food stalls. Some of the street foods come at a low cost that helps travelers to get a very good experience. Make sure to try some of the best and famous dishes of the region. There are many best street food places that you can visit in Mallorca to get a very good eating experience.
Some of the most popular street foods on the island include Sobrasada on toast, Tumbet, Coca de trampo, Ensaimada, Parades, and others. Make sure to buy these delicious dishes from the street vendors. They provide the best food at a reasonable price to the customers, and most of them are also dependent on tourism. So, purchasing food from them will help them very much to earn money and keep providing quality food.
Just like foods, drinks are also very essential in a trip as it helps to stay refreshed and hydrated. Being a famous island and tourist destination, you will get a wide range of drinks available here. From alcohol to soft drinks, all of the different drinks are available at a reasonable price. You will also get some fruit juices and fruit water on the island that will give you a nice experience.
According to travelers, the cocktail bars on the island are very well known for providing the best drinks at low prices. So, make sure to visit the nightlife of the island to get a wide range of drinks. If you want to know the details about different drinks that are available on this island, then here are some of them in details given below. It will help you to know more about the drink and choose the best one for your tour.
Before visiting the island, you need to know if the tap water of the island is safe to drink or not. It will help you to make a plan for water and prepare accordingly. While bottled water is very common around the world, tap-water is used mostly by local people. The tap-water of the island is safe to drink for travelers as it is used by the locals. You can filter the water and boil it very well before drinking it.
But the water has too much high chlorine and sodium level that makes it a little unhealthy. You can also choose bottled water that is cheap to buy and comes with very clean and safe water. Just like the local people, you can use tap water to wash your face and brush your teeth. If you choose bottled water, then you can find it in almost all the shops in the area. So, it is better to carry one during travel and buy extra later.
Staying healthy is a topmost priority on a trip as getting ill will prevent you from exploring the travel destination after halfway. Many tourists choose organic foods to stay healthy throughout the tour. You will be able to get many organic cafes in the area that provide good food at a reasonable price.
Organic foods are very helpful to give back the energy and strength of the body. As there are many organic cafes on the island, you will be able to get plenty of organic dishes available on the island. Here are some of the places that you can visit to have the best organic dishes.
- Osteria de Placa Sant Francesc - One of the best places on the island where you can visit to get a very good eating experience. Some of the dishes are very healthy and help to get your energy back
- EcoVegetaria - Organic and veg dishes both are served here by the authority. You will be able to get a wide range of dishes available in restaurants. Make sure to visit the place early to get a seat on the weekends as the place gets very crowd
All around the island, you will be able to get many different brews available. From local to international, these brews will help you very much to get a very good time on the island. On the beaches, you will be able to get plenty of beers available to chill. As this is a very popular tourist destination, drinkers like to sip on a beer while resting on the beautiful beaches watching the sunset, or sunbathing.
From generic to industrial, the breweries here produce small batches of craft beers that help them to distribute all over the place. If you are a beer lover, then you will be able to get plenty of beers to choose from here. Some of the most popular breweries that you will be able to get here are Cas Cerveser, Forastera Craft Beer, Sullerica Cervesa Artesana, and others. You can check out the traditional brewing process and taste the beers in these places.
There is no shortage of activities on this island for travelers. As this palace is very well known for having many beaches, you will be able to do plenty of activities. Apart from beaches, there are also other famous attractions available on the island that can help you to get a very nice experience of traveling. You can spend your day at the beach resorts or walking at the beach, the limestone mountain is a very good place to enjoy your trip.
Also, the nightlife of the island is very vibrant and colorful that will help you to spend a very good time on the island sipping on drinks and relaxing. However, when it comes to activities on the beach make sure to participate in the outdoor activities.
Some of the most popular outdoor activities that you can do on the island include balloon riding, rock climbing, formula one car driving, jumping experience, buggy discovery tour, and many others. Also, you can do multiple outdoor activities in the sea and beaches including snorkeling, scuba diving, and others.
Yoga and Retreats
Many people like to do yoga during trips to keep them safe and healthy. The people of this island like to stay healthy and fit by going to the gym or yogas. So, you will be able to get a lot of yoga centers on the island. Most of them offer training classes to travelers but you can also choose packages of 2-3 days. You can choose both of them at very low prices from these yoga centers.
You will be able to find a lot of yoga retreats around the island where you can visit and make an appointment. It is best to take the help of online services to book yoga classes on the island. If you are confused about which of the yoga centers is the best one to choose, then here are some of the most popular ones given below that will help you to choose the best.
- Balearic Yoga
- Yoga Retreats Mallorca
- Calador Yoga
You need to find a good shelter to rest and sleep for the rest of the day while you are not exploring the island. Accommodation is very important for most people as it helps to boost the experience of the trip. In Mallorca, you will be able to get multiple accommodation options available. As this island is very famous for attracting tourists, you will be able to get beach resorts, hostels, hotels, guesthouses, and apartments. Some of them come at very low cost and others with a high price.
You will be able to get many benefits from these accommodations. Some of them offer free wi-fi, free parking, and others do not offer them Here are some of the details given below about different accommodation options available on the island that will help you to choose. Make sure to take a look at these options. As an eco-friendly traveler, it is best to choose green hotels for your stay on the island to keep the island free from pollution.
As mentioned earlier, green hotels are becoming the most popular option around the world for travelers to stay. It helps to keep the environment safe from pollution and provides a healthy lifestyle. Being a very popular place for travelers, you will be able to find many green hotels in the place. Green hotels use various methods to keep the island clean and reduce pollution.
Using eco-friendly methods also help to reduce the use of resources and waste. Like all the other accommodation options, you will be able to get many benefits and advantages in these hotels. From free wi-fi to others, everything is available in these hotels. Here are some most popular greenhouses on the island that you can choose for your stay on the island.
- Mar Calma Hotel - This is one of the popular green hotels on the island that comes with eco-friendly measures and a great view of the ocean. You will be able to get the rooms at a very reasonable price.
- Son Brull Hotel & Spa - This wonderful hotel is located on the hillside that offers awesome views and eco-friendly options to keep the island safe from pollution. From recycled water to other green initiatives has made the hotel a perfect place to stay.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are planning to stay more than 1-2 weeks on the island and want to save some money, then you can choose hostels and guest houses. Although there are many guest houses available that cost more than hotels, you will be able to find many cheap ones also. Most of the hostels are very cheap on this island and offer a nice stay along with both shareable and unshareable options.
They might be low cost but offer all the basic benefits to the customers. You can stay as long as you want and enjoy the island as you like without spending a lot of money. If you are confused about which one to choose, here are some of the best hostels and guesthouses are given below.
- Bonary Hostel
- Sol De Mallorca
- San Francisco
- Tbaida Hostal
Apartments are the best choice for you if you want to stay on the island for a long time without spending a lot of money. It also helps to know the culture of the local people easily as you will be surrounded by local people. Many travelers prefer to choose apartments for their stay as it helps to get a close observation of the daily life and lifestyle of the people on the island.
You will be able to get a lot of apartments on the island at a very low price. Some of these apartments also offer extra benefits to customers. Some of these apartments are located near the beaches that help to get the best experience of beaches and fresh air. Here are some of the best apartments that you will get in Mallorca.
- Viva Tropic & Spa - Located near the beaches, this place is perfect for travelers to stay with low rent and plenty of facilities.
- Apartamentos Gomila Park- This is a high priced apartment that comes with an open pool and different facilities.
Couchsurfing is a very good way to live in a city without spending much money. You will be able to stay for as many days as you want with free meals and great hospitality. Couchsurfing is a very helpful community of travelers that helps out other travelers by helping them out when visiting the home city of any of them by offering free hospitality and food. As this place is very well-known for attracting tourists, you will be able to find many hosts in Mallorca for Couchsurfing.
It is best to take the help of online services for finding multiple Couchsurfing options in Mallorca. It is best to contact the Couchsurfing hosts earlier before the arrival date as it helps them to get prepared for a guest. Apart from these, you will be able to learn more about the culture of local people by staying with one. You will also get different information about the island from them.
If you want to be a part of the adventure, then you can also choose camping. There are many camping spots on the island where travelers like to stay on their trip. You will be able to get a very good experience by staying at the camps as it helps to provide the best natural views and fresh air. You will be surrounded by the green most of the time as they are located in attractive green places.
Although there are many places on the island, where you will be able to get the blue sea around you. Camping is both pocket friendly and the best eco-friendly option available for tourists. Here are some of the best camping places on the island that you can visit on your tour for having memorable moments.
- Sa Font Coberta, Lluc Mallorca - If you want to feel spiritual, then this is the best camping spot for you. This is a monastery side that helps to witness many special views and experiences.
- Rustic Homey Caravan, Colonia de Sant Pere - As the name suggests, you will be able to get a very good experience of the caravan. Rent of the camps is also very pocket friendly that helps to provide a nice experience at a low price.
How to Get There
Like other cities in Spain, you will not be able to get a lot of options to visit this island. As it is separated from the mainland, there are limited options to get on the island. Among all the other ones, the flight is the most common and preferable option that you can choose to get in Mallorca. While flight helps to reach the island faster from any other options, there are some other ones available that will help you to get the best experience of the journey.
Among all the available transportation modes, you will need to know which one is the best for you depending on your source destination. If you are traveling from other countries, then the transportation mode might be different for you. So, here are some of the available options to get in Mallorca in detail to help you choose the best one.
As mentioned above, the air is the best way to travel to Mallorca as it helps you to reach faster to the destination and get a very comfortable traveling experience. However, many people try to avoid flights as you will miss out on all the beautiful sceneries on your way to the island and the fares are the highest compared to other modes of transportation. Many airways are well connected with the island and offer competitive prices.
You will be able to reach the Palma airport also known as Son Sant Joan Airport from most of the cities and countries. This airport serves many international and local airways as this is the 3rd largest airport in Spain after Barcelona and Madrid. It is best to book the tickets as early as possible to get them at a low cost and ensure getting a flight. Most of the flights get packed up easily as this is a very popular travel destination around the world and get a lot of tourists every month.
If you want to use a cheaper way to reach the island, then the bus is the best option for you. You will be able to travel comfortably to the island at a very low cost by bus. Most of the tickets for buses cost very low, and they are very well-connected with the different cities in Spain. You will be able to get a bus to Mallorca from most of the other cities in Spain.
If you are traveling from other cities in Spain, then you will get a lot of available buses. However, you will need to break your journey if you are traveling from any other country as the roads are not well connected. You can take a bus after entering Spain to have a very journey to the island. It is better to book a ticket using online services to ensure your seat and get a bus successfully from your location.
Trains are the most preferred way to get to Mallorca after the flight as it helps to get a very good experience of traveling. According to most of the travelers, you will be able to see all the beautiful places on your way to the island. If you are traveling from different cities in Spain, then you will be able to get a lot of options available.
The railway is very well connected with all the other cities in the country but you will not be able to find any direct trains from the other countries. You will need to check if any trains are available from your place to reach Spain and then break the journey by catching another train after entering the country. Just like other transportation modes, you can choose a train to travel the island but make sure to book the tickets earlier to avoid any last time hassle.
If you are looking for a way to get to the island without spending much money, then hitchhiking is the best available way for you. It is getting popular all around the world as it is a nice adventure to travel to. You will be able to travel to the island with the help of other people both local and others. In hitchhiking, you can take lifts from other travelers on the way to reach your destination.
Unlike other cities, you will not get a lot of roads to hitchhike your way to the island, but the main highway is very crowded and will help you to get a lift very easily. If you are thinking of hitchhiking your way to the city, then keep in mind to carry a map, compass, and other necessary things with you. It will help to prevent getting lost on your way to the island.
Apart from all the above-mentioned options, you will also get other available options that you can use to reach the island. Many people choose the water to travel to the island, it might take a lot of time to reach the destination. But many people see it as a great adventure that will help you to get a nice experience. Also, you can choose to travel the island by motorbike or four-wheeler that will help you to get a very good road adventure experience.
You will need a lot of days to reach the island but the side views and mesmerizing sceneries on your way are worth the travel. As both water and road are very well connected with the island, you will be able to get them very frequently and use them to successfully enter Mallorca.
Moving around is the most important thing that helps to get the experience of exploring the city. You can choose a nice way to move around the city based on how many days you are staying on the island. While some of the ways take more time to reach the destinations, others help to get a nice experience of witnessing the culture. There are many options available that you can use to move around the island.
From walking around to witness the culture and tradition of using cars to reach the attractions very fast, this island offers all of them. Exploring the place is the main objective of coming to the island and the type of transportation plays a major role in it. Covering most of the places in a day will help you to visit popular attractions very fast. Here are some of the available options that you can choose to get the best experience of moving around the city.
Most of the travelers like to walk around the island to get the best experience of traveling. While walking helps to save a lot of money on transportations, it also helps to exercise. You will stay healthy with the help of walking around and getting a close view of the lifestyle of local people. Yes, the best thing about walking is that it might take a lot of time to get to your destination, but it helps to explore the different things on the road like people, art, markets, and many other things.
If you are staying for a long time in the city, then walking can help you to get the best experience. You will be able to use many shortcuts to reach your destination that others won't be able to use as they are only available to pedestrians. Make sure to carry water and an umbrella with you while moving around on the island on foot. It will help you to stay hydrated and safe from the sunlight during the exploration. Also, try to use the lanes as much as you can to avoid direct sunlight.
Just like walking, you will be able to get a very good experience of traveling to the island using a bicycle. Just like walking, you will be able to keep yourself fit and healthy with the help of exercise. But the best thing about using a cycle is that you will reach your destination much faster compared to walking. You will have to rent a cycle from the local services to start exploring the city. You can take the help of online services to book one also.
But it is better to talk with your staying place to know that if they offer free cycle rental services to customers. In most of the corners of this island, you will be able to get many lanes that you can use to move safely without getting stuck in the traffic. These lanes are made for travelers who are walking or riding a cycle to keep them safe and separate from other cars or bikes on the road.
Without any doubt, electronic vehicles are the best way to move around the city if you do not have much time on your hand. It will help you to cover many attractions in a day as it rubs faster. Although choosing this will cause you to miss out on witnessing the life of local people or things to witness on the streets, you will be able to get faster to your location. As an eco-friendly traveler, choose electronic vehicles to move around the island instead of fuel cars.
It will help the place to stay clean and reduce pollution. Electronic vehicles are as fast as fuel cars and come with all the different benefits. You can easily book these cars using online services or visiting the stores on the island. If you are choosing vehicles to move around the place, then make sure to have some time on your hand as it takes a lot of time if stuck in traffic.
Buses are the most pocket-friendly way of traveling the island. They are widely available and come with many benefits that will help you get a very good experience. As the bus stoppages are provided near popular locations, you will be able to get a very good travel experience as a traveler. Apart from money saving, if you want to observe the daily life of locals or get close to them, then the bus is the best choice for you.
You will be surrounded by local people that will help you to observe their traditions and culture up close. If you want to get a public bus easily from your place, you can check out the bus timings. However, waiting for buses at the bus terminals will help to get buses easily. You can also book bus seats using online services to avoid any last-minute hassle-free. Just like cars, buses too can get in traffic, it is best to take some time on your hand before going out using a bus.
Tram, Train and Subway
The trains of Mallorca are very well connected inside the island and other cities as well. You will be able to move using trains and witness popular destinations very fast. As it runs through the island and stops at all corners, you will be able to get a very good experience of traveling. Trains are chosen by travelers as it helps to gain a very good experience. Compared to other transportation modes that you can choose to move around the island, this one comes with some useful benefits.
You will be able to travel the island without getting any traffic like cars or buses. Make sure to book the train tickets early to ensure your seat. You can also book tickets on the railway to start your journey. Apart from trains, you will find a heritage tramway that goes through the island named The Tranvia de Soller, which is owned by Ferrocarril de Soller. You can use it to reach other cities in Spain As well as several places on the island.
Shopping is a very crucial thing in every tour as it helps to get some memorable items to remember the trip. You will be able to bring so many souvenirs back with you from this island as it is filled with small shops and good markets. Instead of normal shopping, you can choose sustainable shopping that helps the island to stay clean and reduce waste. Using recycled items and purchasing old items will help the island very much to stay clean.
You will come across many eco-friendly shops around the island selling antique goods to the customers. As most of their business is dependent on travelers, purchasing things from them will help them very much to keep providing. Flea markets to second-hand goods, all goods are available here that travelers like to buy. Not only travelers but local people are also using eco-friendly clothes and recycled items to keep the island clean and reduce the waste produced every year.
If you are a foodie, then the first thing that you will search for in Mallorca is the good markets. The food market on this island is very different from all over Spain. Some of the seafood is available here that makes it a very good experience to explore. You will be able to take a break from exploring the market and eat from the small food stalls that are available throughout the markets.
It will help you to get a raw experience of eating fresh foods and veggies. Some of the seasonal food ingredients and other dishes will make you have a very good eating experience. However, if you do not want to spend time finding these markets, then look at these top food markets on the island that you can visit.
- San Juan Market - This is one of the first markets of the island that comes with a lot of shops and food stalls. You will be able to get different foods available in the markets from both raw and cooked. Not only traditional but different cuisines like Thai, Japanese, and many others are available.
If you are looking for vintage items and clothes, then you will need to visit the flea markets of this island. There are many flea markets available in the city where you can visit to get some of the best things at low prices. You will be able to increase the collection by adding some of the rarest artifacts and antiques from these markets. Although it depends on luck that what you will get in these markets and at what price, most of the time the prices are very good and reasonable. If you are thinking of visiting these markets, then here are some of the best flea markets that you need to visit on your trip.
- Fundació Deixalles, Manacor - This is one of the most popular flea markets on the island. This market is organized by a non-profit organization that collects goods and donations of used items and sells them to raise funds. They provide jobs to people who want to get employed and help them to get training. You will get many recycled and designed items at a very affordable price.
- Marratxi Flea Market - Compared to other flea markets on the island, this one is smaller but provides a lot of vintage goods to the customers. You will be able to get plenty of shops in the city that will help you to get a very good shopping experience.
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand products and clothes are getting popular in Spain as it helps to keep the environment balanced by saving resources. Instead of waste going to landfill, they are recycled and created like a new product. Mallorca has many second-hand shops and markets spread throughout the island. These markets have second-hand clothes, accessories, items, and many other things. Here are some of the popular second-hand markets that you need to visit in Mallorca.
- Consell Flea Market - This market is known to be the largest and most popular among all the other ones. You will be able to find clothes, antiques, vintage items, and many other things in this market. From cheap to high priced goods are available in this market that you can buy based on your budget. Some cafes and food stalls are also available to offer the best foods during exploring.
- Rastro Market - There are plenty of shops in this market that sell second-hand products to the customers. You might find some vendors selling new things as well. If you can look closely, then you might be able to find some gems and good second-hand items in this market.
If you want to make the place cleaner and green during your trip to the island, then you can choose eco-fashion. These clothes are made using natural products that help to save resources and reduce the number of waste. Instead of wearing clothes made using chemicals, these eco-friendly clothes will also help you to stay healthy. As some local people have also started to use eco-fashion, you will be able to find these clothes very easily on the island.
Not only locally, but some international eco-fashion brands are available on the island that can offer you products that are made with completely eco-friendly resources. Also, buying these clothes from local shops will help the local sellers to keep up their good work of selling eco-friendly clothes. Even though the local people also buy many eco-friendly clothes that are eco-friendly, their business is mostly dependent on tourism and the high number of tourists.
Recycling is the best way to keep a city clean and free of waste. This is the first step to make a place zero waste and smart waste management. Most of the cities in Spain have taken the steps to recycle all the waste. Mallorca is no different from these cities, as you will get to see many initiatives taken in the city to recycle the wastes. As it is a very popular destination for tourists, the locals and officials have taken many steps to keep the island very clean and recycled. You will find many shops all around the island that sell recycled goods and clothes to customers.
Waste management is very important for every city and country to reduce the landfill and make the environment better to live in. This island is very well known for having tourists all over the world. The government and officials have taken many steps that will help them to do very good waste management. While the waste of this island used to be 7,30,00 tons every year in the past, the number has come down very much. Recycling the wastes helps the island to get less landfill of waste.
Work and Study Abroad
You will come across many foreign workers and students on the island who are working in different sectors. Also, there are many schools and universities that offer a lot of opportunities and benefits for foreign students. If you are looking for a job on the island, then make sure to use the online services. You will get a wide range of jobs available there for foreign workers. Here are some benefits that foreign workers and students can get in Mallorca.
The exchange student is a method of studying that helps a student to study at foreign universities at a very low cost. If you are nominated by the local school or university of your home, then you can choose any universities that have a partnership with different countries and study there with just the college fee. However, without having a partnership, you will not be able to choose the exchange student method.
Both foreign students and workers can choose Au Pair in their initial time on the island. It will help them to get shelter, food, and some pocket-money to spend their days. Look for other jobs while doing Au Pair on the island without any worries. In exchange for money, food, and shelter, you will need to take care of the household, elder people, and babies. You can look at the online services to get an Au Pair job easily.
Volunteering is the best way to contribute to making the environment of the island better. You can take part in different activities to help out the local people, foreign people, and others. From keeping the famous attractions safe or clean to teaching English to local people, you can choose many different volunteering options. It will also help you to know a lot about the local people and get to know their traditions.