Eco-friendly travel guide to Nauru advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Nauru, Oceania.
- Air quality: 3.6 / 5
- Bus connections: 2.3 / 5
- Train connections: 2.4 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3.7 / 5
- National parks: 2.8/ 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.6 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.2 / 5
- Safety: 3.3/ 5
- Accommodation: US$80 - $174
- Budget per day: US$93 - $201
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Nauru is an island country located in the southwest of the pacific ocean. The smallest island nation in the world. Nauru is 21 square kilometers large can be easily navigated within a day or two. It holds a population of around 10,000 people within its borders who receive much aid from the Australian government since the exhaustion of its phosphate deposits which were the primary source of income. According to the CIA factbook, Nauru is also considered the fattest country on earth, with 71% of its 10000 residents being obese. The main languages spoken on the island are English and Naurian, with English having more than 60% of speakers. Nauru has some tourist attraction centers, including anibare bay, command ridge, and Buada lagoon. According to the telegraph, only about 200 tourists tour this country each year.
Air Quality and Pollution
A large part of Nauru is wreathed in air containing high levels of nitrogen dioxide, particulate matter, and biological materials. These pollution paradoxes affect the health of the residents in this city, according to (World Health Organization) WHO. According to Aqicn, the AQI of Nauru is 78, which is unhealthy for sensitive groups. Air pollution is causing chronic diseases, breathing problems, and premature mortality to some residents. The government has placed strict measures to curb this danger by laying a plan to reduce the total amount of carbon emission.
Respect the Culture
Most of the island's residents are ancient Nauruans. There are also smaller numbers of Australians, Chinese, new Zealanders, and Tuvaluans. These smaller groups came from the recruitment during the mining of phosphate. The national language on the island is Nauruan, and English is the second language. The main religion is Christianity which was established in early 1899. every year on the 13th of January, the people of Nauru celebrates the anniversary of when the nation became independent. The day consists of many sports events ranging from the tug of war to wrestling. They also celebrate constitution day on the 17th of May each year.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Go For Mountain Climbing: Nauru has many mountains that will most definitely make you love the scenic beauty of the whole city. The mountain trips are enjoyable, especially when you are a group of friends. While going here, carry a bottle of water and some hiking attire. It's a great way to make memories.
- Go For A Stunning Cruise Ride: Nauru has excellent harbors where you can go for a cruise ride. The stunning cruises provide you will all the luxurious amenities you might need. This is a great way to enjoy your weekend and holidays. While going for rides, you can carry along your family and also friends.
- Scuba Diving: Nauru has some beautiful and natural waters that need to be navigated. When you dive into the ocean, you will get a chance to explore marine life. You will also get an opportunity to see the coral leaves and different kinds of beautiful fishes.
- Fishing: Fishing is a significant activity in this region. All you will need is to hire a boat and head to the incredible pacific ocean for deep-sea fishing. There is a wide range of fish, including tuna, marlin, and barracuda.
- Moqua well: Moqua well is located in yerren district which is in the islands south. The place also has some caves that make it an excellent geological site. The network of caves leads you to a unique underground lake called the moqua well. The area is a perfect spot to visit and take some photos.
- The Capital Village Of Naren: Nauru is among the few nations without a capital city. Instead, it has a capital village located near the airport. There are many activities to indulge in when in Naren, including seeing, shopping, or relaxing and enjoying the cool air. At the same time, you can also opt to visit the parliament and get the chance to sit on the president's chair.
- Anibare Bay: This is among the most relaxing things to do in Nauru. Its located in Anibare district on the eastern side of the island. It's a fantastic white sandy beach with very many activities to choose from. The many activities include scuba diving, swimming, snorkeling, and cornering.
- Buada Lagoon: Buada lagoon is a landlocked freshwater lake in Buada district on the western side of the island. The location was used for farming fish before it was abandoned. It's a great place to relax and connect with nature.
- Central Plateau: This is an area that was used for mining phosphate many years back. The place is now abandoned, and many people come here to explore the remains. There are also some wartime remains like the Japanese guns and a crashed warplane. It's a great place to explore, especially with a local guide to understand the site's history better.
- Go For The Yarra Valley Trip: Valleys are the most beautiful and exciting places to visit while in Nauru. This lace has some of the most scenic huge valleys that you would fall in love with. The site has some of the best wineries and some traditional and vintage steam trains to explore.
- Visit Australian War Memorial: The Australian war memorial is an iconic place to visit in Nauru. Here you will get the details of the Australian weapons and all war-related theories and sculptures. It's an excellent place for people who would love to know Nauru and Australia's history at large.
Nauru is a city rich in luxurious sites to visit and have fun. There is a wide range of beaches, museums, archeological sites, parks and many other places you can spend your weekends and holidays. Though being one of the least visited cities in the world, its nature can have you make memories. You can easily spend more than a week on this island and still have more left to discover. People never go to Nauru due to the inadequate publicity and information about the island. While here, you can decide to visit an urban exploration site where phosphate was once mined. The place has many old mines, Japanese world war two staff, and caves. Apart from the exploration, you can also visit Anabare Harbor and swim with the locals. Nauru is a beautiful island with friendly people and a super friendly atmosphere.
- Aiwo city park: This is among the most visited city park in this part of the region. The park has a lot of shade and good swings. it is an excellent place to relax or meet with friends. The site is also ideal for families and children.
- Meneng park: The park has a very calm surrounding with a place to sit and relax. There are also a few shops where you can grab something to quench your thirst. You can also engage in various activities, including skating, jogging, running, walking, and cycling. There is also plenty of shade and lawn and lovely spots to relax and socialize—a nice place to visit with friends and family and enjoy the terrific environment.
- Yarren park: A park is ideal for kids to play while adults relax on the benches enjoying the cool
air. The park features a small playground for kids to play in and many benches for relaxing and connecting with the surrounding nature. The park is ideal for family visits, especially on weekends.there are no guards around so make sure you take care of your property.
There are a few national parks in Nauru. They are a major attraction, especially during summers and holidays. The gardens are maintained and run by the government of Nauru.
- Menen national park: This park is located in a stunning location. It features a wide variety of different plants and wildlife. It's a great place to hike. While visiting here, carry with yourself some water. The park features a café and a small playground for kids. the place is clean and well maintained, with most social amenities readily available.
- Moqua well: Moqua well is among the popular hiking parks in the region. The park features an underground lake and a chain of cafes. While going to this park, carry yourself a bottle of water and some hiking attire. It's a great place to hang out with friends.
There are several main beaches in Nauru. These beaches attract significant visitors all year long. Though not that classic like in the European countries, the beaches are perfect and safe for the typical water sports from both adults and children. The most popular beaches in the region include:
- Anabar Beach: This is among the most popular beaches in the region. It is located in the Calabar constituency in Nauru. The beach is mostly famous due to its tranquil waters ideal for swimming. To make sure you get the most excellent spots. Make sure to get there early enough and spend the day on the stunning view. the place is perfect for enjoying yourself with family and friends. The site also has lovely shops with quality foods and drinks—worth a visit.
- Anibare Bay: This is another most visited beach in this part of the region. It is located in the Anibare District of Eastern Nauru. It features a few shops and small restaurants where you can grab some drinks. The beach is very silent with a relatively small number of people. It's a great place to walk and jog. The site is easily accessible via public transport. The staff is fantastic and ready to help if the need arises—a great place to visit with family and friends.
There are a few landmarks in Nauru. These landmarks are a significant attraction to both local and foreign visitors. The most popular include:
- Parliament House: The parliament house of Nauru is one of its kind. It served as a landmark of the region and is located in yaren district. While here, you will get a chance to sit on the president's chair and access some of the naurians histories. It a great place to explore and take a few photos on the outside.
- Civic center: The civic center is another landmark of the region. It is located in yaren district. He is to many businesses and government offices. There are banks, supermarkets, and several restaurants and cafes. It's a great place to watch everyday natural daily life. The site is clean and well maintained. It's a great place to take a few photos and enjoy the experience.
- Japanese guns: Japanese guns are another major historical landmark in this region. The weapon is located a few minute's drives from yaren. It's a great place to visit and take some photos with the guns. When going here, carry with yourself some hiking boots because it sometimes gets muddy—a great place to hang out with friends.
There is only one famous museum in this part of the region. The museum attracts a large group of both local and international visitors all year long. The museum is also a learning facility.
- Nauru Museum: This is the most famous museum in this region. It is located in yaren, Nauru. It's an excellent place for history lovers to hangout. It's a great place with very welcoming staff. The guides are knowledgeable and are ready to share their knowledge with interested parties. Here you will learn about the history of Nauru and see some of the ancient sculptures.
Nauru has a wide range of hotels and restaurants offering a wide range of foods and drinks. The eateries range from vegetarian and vegan restaurants to gluten-free options. Most of the restaurants serve breakfast, light lunch, and delicious dinner at favorable prices. While here, try traditional dishes. Almost all water, food, and every other item are imported from Australia. Most of the residents in this area are also obese due to their eating mostly fried fish and processed food from Australia. Major restaurants in the area include
- Bay restaurant: This is among the most visited restaurant in this region. It is an Indian restaurant based located in island ring road, Nauru. The restaurant serves a delicious breakfast, simple lunch, and a heavy dinner. It also features a drinking bar within its boundaries and outdoor seating. The staff are professional, super friendly and offer fast services. The restaurant is cozy and super clean. During weekends and on Thursdays, the restaurants hosts several events which are unique and engaging.
- Anibare restaurant: This is another popular local restaurant in this region. It is located in anibare bay,meneng,Nauru.The restaurant mostly serves Chinese and Asian delicacies. They offer various plates of seafood, including prawns, scallops, carpaccio, and grilled octopus. The place is super clean and well maintained, giving it a very fantastic atmosphere. It's a great place to try plates of seafood—best for family and friends' dinner.
- Oriental restaurant: The oriental restaurant receives a large number of customers all year long. It is allocated in anibare bay,meneng, Nauru. It's an excellent destination for lunch and dinner. It is a great place to try some authentic traditional foods. The staff are professional, super friendly and offer fast services. The restaurant is cozy and super clean. During weekends and on Thursdays, the restaurants hosts several events which are unique and engaging.
- streetfood: Most of the street food in this region is majorly influenced by Australia and other pacific countries. There are no major street food scenes in the area, but we have a few coming up, mainly along the road leading to the supermarket of Capella and the net a district. The leading food in this area is coconut fish. It is prepared by serving raw tuna in coconut milk and onions. Another primary food in these areas was those made from pandanus fruits.
There are excellent drinking places in Nauru. The most popular drinks in Nauru include tap water, beers, and cocktails. Most of these products are imported from Australia; hence you will find them at a higher cost. Though there is primary imported alcohol from around the world, Nauru has only two bars. One is the reef bar located in anibare bay, and the kbar is also found in the exact location. The drinking areas feature pool tables and a steady stream of music.
Nauru is surrounded by the pacific ocean and struggles to find secure portable water sources. Nauru has no reives while the underground water is limited. The primary way many naurians survive is by harvesting rainwater. Tap water in Nauru is perfectly safe to drink since it is from water resourviours that collect rainwater. There is also bottled water, though, at a higher price.
There are many fun activities you can engage with while in Nauru. These outdoor activities help improve physique, the feel-good factor, and improved bonding. The significant actions to engage in while I Nauru include scuba diving, playing football, scuba diving, and hiking.
Nauru offers accommodation facilities that are clean, neat, and affordable. The types of accommodation facilities available include apartments, luxury lodges, hostels, and guest houses. The region's accommodation facilities are pricey so get prepared to spend a little more than other Australian areas.
Hotels offer accommodation and other significant facilities hence making the expensive to stay. The major hotels in Nauru are located in Menen. Most of them feature beaches, restaurants, and bars. Due to the inadequate hotels in the region, the hotels in menen are often flooded, especially during summers, festive seasons, and holidays. The place is secure and well maintained and with all necessary amenities included. Menen is the best place to experience the Nauru Nightlife and drinks.
- Menen Hotel: This is among the popular green hotels in the region. It is located a few minute's drives from yaren district. The hotel can be easily accessed via public transport and close to shops and restaurants. It features a restaurant and a bar. The staff are very welcoming, helpful and will make you feel comfortable. The rooms are spacious and well furnished, with all amenities included. The pricing is relatively high compared to other similar facilities. It's a great place to visit with family.
- Od-N Aiwo Hotel: The hotel receives a large number of visitors all year long. It is located in Boe, Nauru—.ts situated in a very convenient place accessible via public transport. The hotel features a spa, luxurious rooms, a gym, a bar, and a restaurant. The staff and management are excellent and ready to help in case the need arises. Their rooms are modern and well furnished. The place is also clean, well maintained, and equipped will all the necessary social amenities. It's a great place to visit with friends and family.
- Ewa Lodge: Ewa Lodge is among the most popular hotel in this region. The hotel is located in Ronave, Nauru, which is one of the most populated towns in Nauru. Great place with fantastic staff who are welcoming, kind, courteous, and ready to help if the need arises. The hotel features a restaurant, spacious rooms, free wifi, and free limited parking. It's a great place to have a family visit.
Hostels and Guest Houses
There are some significant guesthouses in Nauru that often receive visitors. These lodgings are very secure, and mostly, you live in the owner’s compound. The guesthouses are a bit cheaper compared to hotels in menen and apartments. The rooms are equipped with all necessary social amenities. Most of the guesthouses in the region are clean and well maintained. The owners are often welcoming and ready to help in case the need arises.
- Airport Homestay: This is the most popular hostel in the region among backpackers. It is located in a very conducive place, easily accessible and secure. The site is owned by some Japanese families who are very welcoming and kind. The rooms are spacious and feature a large TV and fridge. The place is also spotless, well maintained, and furnished. The attendants are kind, welcoming, courteous, and super friendly.
While in Nauru for a holiday trip, you can opt to stay in an apartment. Apartments are excellent accommodation facilities, especially for those who like their privacy. The primary flexibility of renting an apartment over living in a hotel in Nauru is that you prepare your meals in your very own kitchen with locally sourced ingredients. Most of these apartments are clean and well maintained. The staff are friendly and will help you in case the need arises. Major apartments include:
- Sunset Queen's Apartments: This is a popular apartment in this part of the region. It is located in Boe, Nauru. . The rooms are very spacious, decorated, and well furnished. It also features onsite parking, a gym, and free wifi. The location is easily accessible via public transport and too close to many social amenities. The apartments offer great value for your money and also an excellent place for backpackers.
Couchsurfing in Nauru helps foreigners discover the unique hidden gems in the city. Couchsurfing in Nauru is popular and safe provided prior research is done. In the case you don't have already made friends, you can opt to do that through the variety of social media sites and Couchsurfing sites at your disposal. Nauruan's are welcoming, which makes it easy to connect with. When doing our research, always go for like-minded people.
Nauru offers many picnic and camping sites that are clean and well maintained. The camps provide beautiful scenery and other facilities like the playgrounds, parking spaces, toilets, water services. Nauru also has some significant camps for immigrants from Australia. You can also decide to go and stay with the immigrants and help in some voluntary works. The detention center has over 200 children who also need some voluntary teachers. Major camping sites include:
- Nauru Australian Immigration Detention Center
- Nauru Ron Hospital campground
There are many regions in Nauru. The significant areas have a large population compared to the less popular sites. Some of these large regions include:
- Denigomodu: Denigomodu is a central district in the state of Nauru. It was formally known as denikomodu, which later changed over the years. It covers an area of 118 hectares and holds a population of 1,804 residents within its boundaries. The district also has 17 villages within its borders. The communities are a particular region and have ease of transport.
- Meneng: This is another famous district in the city of Nauru. Meneng was formally known as menen, which later changed over the years. The community has excellent weather and overs an area of 310 hectares, making it the region's largest district. meneng has a population of 1,380 people living within its boundaries. It's a great place with most of the necessary social amenities.
- Yaren district: Yaren district acts as the capital city of the country of Nauru. All primary social services, including central banks and government offices, are located in this district. It covers an area of 150 hectares and is home to 747 people. The community has seven villages within its boundaries.
- Boe: Boe is another famous region in Nauru. The district was formerly known as Boi, which later changed over the years. The section covers an area of 50 hectares and holds several 851 people within its boundaries. The community also has four villages.
- Baits district: Baits district is a popular destination among the locals and visitors. The district was formally known as Beidi and covered an area of 120 hectares. Baits are home to 513 people and have 15 villages within its boundaries.
- Nibok: Nibok is another famous region in Nauru. The district was formerly known as Ennibeck, which later changed over the years. The section covers an area of 160 hectares and holds several 484 people within its boundaries. The community also has a total of 11 villages.
- Anabar: Anabar is a famous district in Nauru. The community was formerly known as Anabwor, which later changed over the years. The section covers an area of 150 hectares and holds several 452 people within its boundaries. The district also has f15 villages within its borders.
- Uaboe: Uaboe district is among the major sections in Nauru. It was formally known as Ueboi, which was later changed. The community covers a total of 80 hectares and holds a total of 318 residents. There are six villages within their boundaries.
Nauru has a few significant cities which hold most of its major economy. Most of these cities are in the form of villages due to their small sizes and few populations. They mostly have some shops, restaurants, accommodation facilities and government facilities. The government facilities include banks, hospitals, and schools. The city governments are responsible for managing and controlling how these facilities run in their regions. The major cities in this region include:
- Yaren city: Yaren is one of the major cities in Nauru. The city holds some of the central government offices and public facilities. yaren city is home to the government offices, including the parliament and other significant facilities like banks and airport. It acts as the capital of Nauru. yaren has fewer than 800 people within its boundaries.
- Anibare city: This is another major city located in the south part of the island. Anavar holds significant hotels and bars in the region. The region attracts major musical events and also sports events during weekends and national holidays. It's a great place to enjoy the beers from new Zealand and Australia. anibare city has a population of fewer than 250 people.
Getting There and Moving Around
Getting to Nauru is easy and efficient, especially when around the pacific countries like Australia and New Zealand. The primary means of getting there is by air or by ferry. When it comes to moving around Nauru, you can use many other methods to access its cities. The primary methods include using a public bus, walking, renting a bicycle, or using a private car. Moving around in Nauru could be the most exciting thing to do since it gives you a chance to interact with the locals and learn to appreciate and understand their culture.
Air is the most convenient and fastest means of getting to Nauru. Nauru international airport is the primary flight destination for visitors. The airport operates scheduled international services to and from other pacific islands and significant goals in the pacific regions. The primary service operators in the airport include pacific air express and Nauru Airlines.
Bus transport in Nauru is cheap and convenient. There is only one bus service operating in the region. Nauru main road can be fully traversed in under 60 minutes. The bus runs between Menem and Nauru international airports. The bus runs several hours a day. While here, keep time to avoid missing the bus.
Nauru island has three miles of Railtrack that is only reserved for phosphate mining areas. the rail have been there since the 19th century and remains even after the exhaustion of phosphate in the region .
Hitchhiking is very popular among pacific countries. The country of Nauru is entirely safe for hitchhikers. The locals gladly offer free rides to anyone on the roads. Due to the low population, the people live like one family. The lack of taxis and buses stray dogs makes walking quite dangerous, making hitchhiking the best way to move around.
There are limited transport facilities in Nauru. This is due to the low population and poor road conditions. The easiest way to get around Nauru is by foot, but car hire is also highly recommended. This small island has not known taxi services, but car rentals can easily be found mainly in hotels. The other main kind of transport in this area is water taxis that link the island with other pacific islands like Kiribati’s Banaba island.
This shopping mode in Nauru makes sure that everything we buy has health, social, and environmental benefit. Sustainable shopping gives visitors a chance to support the local fabrics, shops, markets, and eco-friendly factories. There are very few local factories in Nauru as all their products come from Australia. The only primary product of Nauru is fish but the government is working on a project that ensures that the region starts producing its food. The project aims that every household has a kitchen garden, and also there is the introduction of cheap farming inputs and educators on how sustainable farming is done. This project will go a long way to ensure sustainable shopping on the island.
- Flea markets: There are no major flea markets in Nauru. The needs available are small scale and unpopular. People in this part of the region prefer to buy all their products from the supermarkets, especially those in the capital village.
- Capelle & Partner: Capelle and partner is a popular operator in this region that sells merchandise at reasonable prices. Primary goods sold include cosmetics, food, grocery, furniture, appliances, liquor, pharmaceuticals, and clothing. The place is spotless and well organized. All the staff is welcoming, kind, and ready to help in case the need arises.
- Food market: There is a slowly growing rise of locally produced goods in Nauru. The local products had long be demised by the imported products from Australia. The government of Nauru has been working hard lately to ensure that most of the foods in the market are produced locally. Over 70% of the households in the region have established successful kitchen gardens with the water stored. The government has also put up some training facilities to guide interested farmers on doing their crafts to make Nauru a food-independent nation.
Recycling is a great and vital way to keep the environment clean. Recycling prevents the pollution of air and water bodies. Major recyclable items in Nauru include plastic bags, plastic bottles, deodorant bottles, old clothing, and batteries. Most of these products end up unrecycled due to a lack of workforce in the region.
There is no waste transfer station in Nauru. The government attempts to extract recyclable wastes in landfills before much waste is added to the site. The number of workers in Nauru is minimal; hence no people to help recycle waste products. Most of the waste is burned without proper disposal, which poses considerable risk to the island's residents.
Work and Study Abroad
There are very few companies on Nauru island. These companies are a great source of jobs for the Nauruans significant companies, including the international airport of Nauru, Menen hotel, and the Nauru phosphate corporation.
Nauru hosts one major university in the region. The university majors in finance and tech courses due to the rising demand for tech and financial professionals in the area. The university of the south is explicitly shared among the nations in the pacific ocean. It is owned jointly by governments of 12 island countries. The international university is considered a center of excellence, research, and consulting on all aspects of pacific life.
Nauru residents choose to pick Au pairs from their localities or even from families and friends due to trust issues. Most people who need au pairs are the working class. The people of Nauru opt for nannies above the age of 18 and have good English language skills.
There are numerous volunteer activities you can engage in Nauru as a way of giving back to society. Volunteering helps deepen your relationship with the community and also learn about their culture. Volunteer groups you can join include:
- Marine conservation
- Teach English as a second language
- Women empowerment