Eco-friendly travel guide to Nuremberg advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Nuremberg, Germany.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$54 - $100
- Budget per day: US$91 - $200
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Nuremberg is a very well known city in Germany and also the second largest one. With a sizeable population, Nuremberg is known for being the home of the old town and many historical landmarks. You will have a great time in the city. One thing you should be mindful about it is being a responsible traveller and making decisions that are eco friendly. Here are some of the things that you need to keep in mind when you are visiting the city as an eco-friendly traveler.
- When you are traveling to the city, you will have many different options to stay from hotels to apartments. Among all the options, you can choose green hotels that are completely eco-friendly and help the city to stay green.
- Along with the traditional cuisines from big restaurants, you need to try the street food from small stalls. Not only it will help in supporting the local people but eating from big fast food chains will only contribute to the problem of pollution.
- Instead of using private cars or taxis, opt for public transport as it is a far more eco friendly option. If you absolutely must rent a private vehicle then go for electronic ones.
- On your trip to Nuremberg city, try to purchase and eat from small vendors as much as you can. It will help the local people to earn money and keep providing their good work.
Air Quality and Pollution
Health is the top priority for anyone and what really contributes to a healthy person is the air they breath. The Air quality and pollution level of a city you are potentially travelling to should definitely be a concern for you. The good news is that the air quality of Nuremberg stays good to moderate for most of the days. If the air quality is good, then you will be able to travel freely without any complications.
However, things can change if the air quality is moderate as you might have some difficulties. People who have serious breathing problems or conditions like asthma can be affected by pollution in the air. The average Air Quality Index (AQI) of Nuremberg is around 40 but make sure to check it before travelling.
Respect the Culture
As a traveler, you will need to understand the beliefs and values of the local people. Nuremberg is very well known for having a historic and artistic display that will help you to know a lot about the past. From museums to historic buildings, you will be able to see a lot of cultural touch throughout the city. Not only buildings, but you will be able to get the cultural and traditional touch from foods too.
There are plenty of places available that you need to visit in order to have the best cultural experience. Make sure to interact with the local people as well as observing their lifestyle to know more about them and their traditions.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Nuremberg Castle - This is one of the best places in the city that you can visit in the city. It is known as the symbol of the city and stands tall in all its architectural glory. It is also a great place to visit for all the history buffs because of its importance as an imperial castle.
- City Walls - Built for security and defence purposes, the city walls are standing strong since the 13th century without any problems. The walls are maintained very well and look very good in photos as well.
- Nuremberg Zoo - A great place to visit especially if you have kids accompanying you on the trip. There are a variety of animals and you will have a great time learning about the different species as well.
- St. Lawrence Church - Among all the other ones, this church is known to be the largest and best in the city. The ambiance of the church with glass gates, windows, and stunning decorations makes it even more special
- Toy Museum - Although this palace is more popular among kids, adults will have fun as well. From medieval to today’s era, you will be able to witness various dolls and toys in the museum that have been collected from all over the world
- Documentation Center (Nazi Party Rally Grounds) - If you are interested in the history regarding Nazi Germany then definitely visit this place. It has an exhibition going on called "fascination and terror".
- Nuremberg’s Palace of Justice - If you want to witness the place where the leaders of Nazi’s were judged, then visit this place. It will help you to also know a lot of things about the history
- Germanisches National museum - This museum offers more than 1.2 million items to travelers that helps to understand the culture and tradition of German people in the city. From arts, musical instruments to artifacts and historical documents, everything is available in this museum
- Turm der Sinne - This is a science museum that offers many different and stunning exhibits. This museum is one of a kind in the city that helps to give a very good experience for the tourists
- Nuremberg Transport Museum - Just like other museums in the city, you will be able to see many historical and other items but the difference is that this museum only offers cars and old transports.
If you want to get the best experience in this city, then you will need to explore it very well. Exploration is a major thing in your trip that helps to understand the culture and traditions of the locals very well. Also, you will be able to get a very good experience of exploring the city.
From museums to other attractive sports, you need to keep all of them on the list to get the best exploration experience. From stepping into the city, you will need to explore very well to get the best traveling experience and know the history of both the city and world wars. Make sure to create a list of places that you need to explore to get the best experience.
- Kontumazgarten - This is one of the best green parks that are very popular in the city. You will be able to travel to this park by going west of Nuremberg. The Pegnitz River is also available and offers a very good view of the travelers
- Luitpoldhain - This park is mainly known for being the favorite place for a picnic. More than 50,000 people meet in this garden to have a picnic and other activities. The open and fresh air of the city helps to get a very good experience. Make sure to visit this park to get a very good experience of nature.
Although there are many nature parks and city parks available in the city, you will not be able to find any national parks in the city. Nature parks and small parks are the only options for tourists to get the best experience of nature in this city.
Nuremberg city is very well known around the world for having plenty of landmarks. From churches to memorial places, you will find a lot of landmarks available in the city. Some of the most common and popular ones are given below.
- Weissgerbergasse - It is one of the top landmarks in the city that offers a great view of old buildings of middle age. You will be able to see the old building models that are repainted and decorated very nicely. These buildings also survived the war and are staying up strongly to this day.
- Schoner Brunnen - This is a very popular landmark that dates back to the 14th century and is located near the Hauptmarkt. The fountain was restored and looks very gothic style going up to more than 19 meters high.
Museums are the main attraction of Nuremberg and there are plenty of museums that are available for you to explore and know more about the history of the city or more about the war. Here are some of the most popular ones that you need to keep on the top of your must-visit list.
- Neues Museum - Want to visit one of the best museums in the city that offers a rich history, arts, and other things that define the culture very well? Then, make sure to visit the Neues Museum that holds the exhibit of the 1950s as well
- Germanisches National Museum - It holds more than 1.2 million items including arts, paintings, artifacts, historical documents, parchments, seals, and other things. You will be able to know a lot about German culture as well as the history of the city
Food is one of the most important things that help you to get the best experience of the tour in this city. The eating choices of local people will help you to know a lot about culture and tradition. From German traditional dishes to international ones, all types of foods are available. As a tourist, you will get a variety of food from street foods to vegan dishes in this city.
Every corner of the city holds a different taste and delicious dishes to make you visit Nuremberg again. No matter if you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian, you will be able to enjoy the traditional foods in the city as they are widely available. Here are some details about different food restaurants that will help you visit the right one.
Traditional Local Restaurants
After reaching the city, the very first thing that you need to try is the traditional food of the city. You will be able to get the best experience by eating traditional food from different food stalls and restaurants. You will be able to find restaurants in every corner of the city that serves traditional dishes to the customers. Here are some of the best restaurants that you can visit to have a very good traditional food eating experience.
- Bratwursthausle - It is one of the oldest restaurants in the city that has been offering traditional sausages and other foods as well. You will be able to get some of the best dishes and very tasty sausages that comes at a very low price
- Albrecht Durer Stube - Another very old restaurant that has been offering food to tourists and locals for more than three generations. You will be able to get a very good traditional menu in this restaurant to get a very good eating experience
Vegetarian and Vegan
You do not have to worry if you are a vegetarian in the city as it offers plenty of veg restaurants. You will not miss not out on traditional foods as well because there are many restaurants available that offer traditional veg dishes. Here are some of the veg restaurants in Nuremberg that you can visit to get the best veg dishes.
- Vegoner - This is a very popular vegan restaurant in the city that offers both diner and breakfast to the customers. You will be able to get soups, salads, and stews in this restaurant, which are made with vegetables
- Chay Vegan Kitchen - It offers some of the most creative dishes such as Buddha bowls, vegan haxn, pasta dishes, and others. Most of the dishes are very low priced that helps to save a lot of money
Traditional cuisines and other foods are good to taste in the city but if you want to get the best experience of eating, then you need to try the street foods. You will be able to get plenty of street food dishes in the streets of this city. Small counters and stalls throughout the city offer a wide range of food to travelers and visitors.
As mentioned above, you will be able to help the locals as well as the environment by eating street foods. Many small food stalls are dependent on travelers, buying food from them helps them a lot. Some of the best street foods that you need to try in Nuremberg include roasted almonds, Bretzel, lebkuchen, and others.
Just like foods, drinks are also a major part of the travel from water to other beverages. The nightlife in this city is known to be very vibrant and fun. You will be able to get a wide range of drinks in the pubs and bars such as crafted beer, local drinks, international drinks, and many more.
Apart from alcohol, you will also find some local soft drinks throughout the city. You can buy them at a very low price from different stores in the city. From cocktail to mocktail, you will be able to get a lot of different drinks in the city. Here are some of the different drinks and details about them given below for your understanding.
The tap water is drinkable in the city and it is completely safe to drink. You will see the locals drinking tap-water and bottled water both in the city. Although it is safe to drink the tap water, it is better to filter and boil the water very well before using. You can use tap water to wash your face or brush teeth without boiling or filtering the water.
If you want to use bottled water to drink, then you can get plenty of them in the shops. No matter which one you choose, make sure to carry bottles with you to stay hydrated and refreshed. Bottled water is available at a very low price that helps you to save money.
Many travelers are there who like to eat organic foods during their travel to stay healthy and energetic during the trip. If you are one of them, then you will find many small stalls and organic restaurants around the city that offer organic dishes at a low price. Although, you will need to find a bit because they are scattered throughout the city. But, there are many of them available and some of the best ones in the city are given below.
- The Green - It offers organic food to travelers along with other dishes as well on the menu. You will be able to find organic dishes at a very low price. Make sure to try some of the special items of the restaurant to get your energy back and travel well.
If you are an alcohol lover, then you will be able to get a very good experience in this city. You will be able to get different types of beers in this city from local craft beer to international ones. As the nightlife in the city is very popular, you can visit it to have good fun and a wide option of drinks. Make sure to take a look at the making process of these beers in the breweries.
You will be able to taste the beers along with knowing the details about them. Some of the local beers are cheap and very tasty, they make some strong beers using traditional brewing. Overall, the long-range of beers and other brews will help you a lot to spend a good time in Nuremberg.
You will get a lot of options for activities in this city from outdoor to indoor. There are plenty of museums that you can explore to know more about the history of the city and wars. Some of the items from world war are on display along with stories, which will help you to know a lot. Apart from museums, you will be able to do other activities as well such as visiting the zoo, historical building, and others.
However, when it comes to outdoor activities, you have a lot of options available to enjoy in the city. Some of them include surfing, kitesurfing, trekking, hiking, horseback riding, boating, and many others. You can also take part in many water sports in the city for a good adrenaline rush.
Yoga and Retreats
One of the most popular activities that many travelers like to do is yoga. It helps travelers to stay healthy and energetic during the tour with the help of yoga. You will find a lot of yoga centers in the city as local people are very concerned about their health and like to go to yoga classes very often.
You might need to travel a bit to find these yoga classes but all of them offer very reasonable prices and different courses. It is a very nice escape from all the crowds in the city and enjoys a resting moment, which helps a lot to refresh you and give you the energy back for exploring the historical places.
Accommodation is one of the major parts of travel as it helps to make the trip more exciting. You will be able to find a lot of options for accommodation as the city is very well known for travelers. You will come across many travelers in different accommodations. However, you will need to choose yours based on how many days you are staying and what are the benefits you are looking for.
Many of them come at a cheap price and other 5 star hotels offer great benefits that make the stay a very good experience. As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to choose the green hotels that use different eco methods to keep the city free from pollution and improve the environment. Here are some of the most common accommodation options given below in detail.
As mentioned above, green hotels are known to be the best choice for eco-friendly travelers as it provides a nice stay along with keeping the city free from pollution. They use innovative and eco-friendly methods that help to save a lot of resources. From solar panel windows to carbon-free floors, these hotels offer all the green benefits that reduce pollution and improve the environment. There are many green hotels in this city that you can get at a reasonable price, and here are some top ones that you can choose from.
- No Shoes Hotel & Green Bar - As the name suggests, this hotel does not allow any travelers to use shoes in the residence. Along with that, they use some of the best green methods to keep the city pollution-free.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are planning to stay in the city for a longer time, then staying at hotels might be a bit costly for you. You can choose hostels and guesthouses for your stay that provide similar benefits at a very low price. You will find a lot of options for hostels and guesthouses in this city.
If you want to share your room, that option is also available, which saves a lot of money. You will find hostels with similar features and offering throughout the city but you can find the online services to find them easily without wasting a lot of time. Here are some of the most chosen hotels and guest houses by travelers given below.
- DJH Youth Hostel Nuremberg - This is one of the places that you need to visit to get the best-staying experience in the city. It offers some of the best benefits like free wi-fi, breakfast, parking, and others.
Apartments are for those travelers who want to stay in the city for a month or two. However, it is one of the best options to stay in the city as it not only helps to save money and live for a long time in the city but you will be able to get close to the locals as well. Many local people live in the apartments and you will be surrounded by them.
It will help you a lot to know more about the culture and lifestyle of local people. While some of the apartments cost very low, there are luxury apartments available as well. Here are some popular apartments that are given below that you can check out in the city.
- Apartments 4rent
- Apartment Stadtparkaussicht
- Brera Serviced Apartments
Couchsurfing is a very nice way to stay in a city without spending any money. It is also better than any other option that is mentioned above as you will have the chance to stay with the local people. It is a group or community of travelers who helps other travelers to stay in their home when they are traveling to their home city.
You can get them online and choose a host of your likes to stay with them during your travel. No matter the host, you will get to know the culture and traditions of the local people from up-close. Also, the host will help you to know any information about the city and help you find out the best places easily.
Camping is the perfect choice to stay for those who love nature and like staying under the open sky. While it helps you to enjoy the views and green of nature around the camp, it provides fresh air to you as well.
Most of the camping spots take you far from the crows of the city. You will be able to enjoy the quiet, campfire, looking at the stars and other activities here. Here are some of the camping places in the city that you absolutely wanna go on your trip to Nuremberg.
- Volkspark Dutzendteich - It is a state park that offers many camping spots that you can book to get a very good view and a memorable camping experience. You can book this camping spot at a very low price and a food facility is available for customers.
- KNAUS Camping Park Nuremberg - Another very popular campground where you will be able to find many people. Small huts are provided to stay the nights.
How to Get There
Before planning the trip, you need to know what are the transportation options available from your home town to reach Nuremberg. If you are traveling from another city in Germany, then you will be able to find a lot of options. But that many options are not available if you are traveling from other countries.
While most people choose flights to reach this city from all over the world, there are many other ways available that you can choose to visit the city. Airway helps to reach faster to the destination, but there are others that you can use to get a completely different experience. Here are some of the different ways to reach the city from both inside and outside the country.
As mentioned, the air is the best way to reach Nuremberg as it helps to reach very fast without any complications. Compared to all the other modes of transportation, you will be able to get to the destination faster but the fare is also the highest. As the city is very well connected to the different cities and countries, you will be able to get flights from most of the cities.
From most of the countries, the flights are very frequent and regular, which makes it easy for travelers to reach Nuremberg Airport, which is known to be the second-largest among all the others in Bavaria. If you are traveling from a city in Germany, then you will get plenty of local air services that land daily in this city.
Buses might not be the fastest and even very slow compared to many transportation modes, but it is the cheapest way to travel. If you are traveling from any other country, then you will not find any direct bus that goes to Nuremberg and you will have to break your journey to reach the city.
However, if you are traveling from Germany, then there are many options available to you from direct buses to break journeys. The bus journey will help you to witness some of the best scenery and experiences on the road while going to the city. Make sure to book the tickets early to avoid any type of hassle at the end. It will also help you to ensure the seats and get them at a lower price.
Trains are very well connected to this city from local to U-Bahns, you will be able to get them all. However, there are no trains that are directly connected with the city from other countries. You can catch a train after entering Germany from your country. According to many tourists, the train journey is very unique and a good experience.
It does not only help you to enjoy the views but you will be able to meet a lot of local people on your way to the city. Train tickets are cheaper compared to flight, and it helps to reach the city in average time. Nuremberg Central Station has many trains connected with other cities in Germany. So, you will not face any problem while traveling there.
Among all the other modes of travel, this is quite different and adventurous. You will be able to get a completely different experience if you choose to hitchhike to the city instead of any other transportation. In this adventure, you will have to take a lift from the travelers that are going the same way as you.
After you reach the main road, you will find many local people and travelers who are going that way, simply take the lift and go to the city. However, you will also need to know which are the busiest roads to the city and wait at some places like tolls, petrol pumps to get a lift easily. Also, keep a map and water with you along with other emergency necessities that will help you to reach the city safely.
These are not the only ways of traveling to Nuremberg, you can use other modes as well. They are not as popular as these, but many people like to choose them also for traveling. Some of them are motorcycle rides, car rides, and others that give you a road adventure experience and nice memories.
You will need a lot of days to reach the destination but it is worth it. Both car rents and other car service options are available that can easily help you to get a car and bike. Make sure to stay at the hotels on your way at night to stay safe throughout the journey.
Your whole experience of the trip and liking or disliking the city depends on your exploration of the city. If you explore the city very well, then you will be able to know a lot of things about the city that is unknown to some of the outer tourists. However, the mode of exploration also depends on how many times the traveler has to explore.
If you are staying for a long time in the city, then the best option for you is to walk and explore. On the other hand, you will be able to get to your destination faster with the help of other transportation. So, you need to choose based on your choice, staying time, comfortability, and others. Here are some of the transportation modes given below that you can choose to move around the city.
Walking might be the best way to travel to the city and move around the places. You will be able to witness all the corners and buildings in the city and enter some of the remote places. There are many places in the city, where only pedestrians are allowed to enter, which gives you the advantage to enter those places and take shortcuts.
Also, you will get a very close look at the culture, tradition, and other things of the local people. Needless to say, walking will also help you to do exercise and stay fit during the tour. However, make sure to carry some things like water, drinks, and an umbrella to stay safe and hydrated during the exploration.
Bicycling is quite similar to walking but it helps to reach the destination a bit faster and cost some money. Yes, you will need to rent the cycle from local services at an affordable price to explore the city. Just like walking, you will be able to exercise and explore the city at the same time by cycling.
You can also check with your hotel or other accommodation options to know if they provide cycle services to customers. In many corners of the city, you will be able to find a lane that is separate for the cycle riders. It also helps a lot to avoid the traffic on the main road and reach the destination faster. You can book the bicycle service online from local services before reaching the city.
If you do not have a lot of time available to stay in the city, then you will need to choose a transportation mode that helps to cover most of the places. Among all the other modes of transportations, vehicles are the best option that you can choose to reach the famous attractions very fast in the city. However, when choosing vehicles, make sure to choose electronic vehicles that help to keep the city safe from pollution.
You can book electronic vehicles both using apps or websites and offline and get cars that provide all the facilities and keep the city safer than fueled cars. While vehicles help to get to the destination faster, make sure that you have some extra time in your hand. In many lanes, you will get traffic that can delay the timing.
Public buses are one of the best and cheapest ways of traveling. You will get a lot of buses in this city that is well connected with all the corners. There are many bus terminals and stoppages in the city that will help you to get one very easily. Also, the buses are quite frequent that helps you travel without any issues.
The best thing about traveling by bus is that you will be able to know about the daily life of the local people from very close. It will help you a lot to know about their culture and lifestyle as well. However, just like vehicles, you might get traffic on the road that can make it late to reach your destination. So, make sure to have some time on your hand before going out.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trains are one of the fastest public transport that do not have the issue of getting stuck in traffic. You will be able to reach your destination very fast and they are also very reliable. You will get to see normal local trains to U-Bahns in this city that you can take to visit different places in the city.
Compared to others the fare of trains is very low, and it is very well connected with the different famous attractions. However, you will be able to get 48 trams in the city that operate in different areas. You can catch them to have a very good journey through different places at a low price.
Sustainable shopping is one of the most important things that help to keep the city safe from pollution and extra waste. You will be able to get some of the best-recycled items and second-hand items in the city that you can use to both save your money and save resources. It will help to reduce the annual waste of the city. Here are some sections that are given below about sustainable shopping that will help you to know more.
One of the first places that you need to visit is the food markets in the city. There are many food markets in the city that you can visit to know about the traditional and seasonal cooking ingredients that the locals use in their dishes. Apart from exploring, there are small food stalls scattered through the markets where you can stop to have some traditional dishes as well. Some of the most popular food markets in the city are given below.
- Gastro Market Nuremberg
- Magazin La Costache
- Nürnberger Hauptmarkt
When talking about sustainable shopping, another very common thing that comes into mind is the flea markets. They are the best places to buy antiques or vintage items at a very low price. Apart from that, you will be able to get some of the rare items as well to increase the collectibles. Make sure to visit all the flea markets to get many sustainable items and vintage goods of history. Here are some of the flea markets that you can visit to get the best items.
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand sites are also very well known for providing good items at a low price. Purchasing second-hand items will help to keep the city safe by reducing waste. Local people are also very concerned about their city and trying to adopt second-hand items as well. There are many shops and stores scattered throughout the city that you can visit to have high-quality items. Here are some of the stores that you can visit to have a very good shopping experience.
- Vinny's second-hand clothes Nuremberg
- Ostermeier Secondhand Boutique
Eco-fashion is a sustainable way of shopping. This includes avoiding material that are procured in a way which could be harmful for the environment and instead opting for sustainable material. It also includes shopping from brands that have ethical values and operate in a green way. Eco fashion has taken up a lot of space in the local fashion scene and you can find Manu eco friendly brands to shop from in Nuremberg.
Recycling is one of the best ways to reduce the pollution level and make a place environmentally safe. The city has taken many initiatives that helped the environment to stay clean from pollution. They are trying to recycle all the waste and take as many resources as they can. It helps them to reduce waste as well as save resources.
Waste management is a very important thing that helps the city to stay clean and stop landfill. The waste products of the city are decreasing every year with the help of all the initiatives that they have taken. You will be able to see dustbins and recycling bins all over the city that helps to separate the waste and recycle it. Make sure to keep the city clean during your trip by placing your waste in the right place.
Work and Study Abroad
There are many universities in the city that offer different courses at a very low price. You will come across many people and students who are working or studying in this city. The number of jobs is plenty from full-time to part-time, which can help you to earn money. Some of the benefits like Au Pair, exchange students, and others available in the city, which makes it easy for foreign people to study and work in this city.
There are many exchange student programs that are offered in the city. Nuremberg is a great option if you want to spend a year abroad as an exchange student especially if you are already studying in Europe. The history of the city is rich, there is a lot to do, a lot to learn and the culture is also free and open.
Au Pair is a popular way of staying in the city at the initial stage and earning some money. It is a way of staying in the city and under a shelter and having food. You will need to take care of the household, babies, and elderly people of the house to get shelter, food, and some money. It can help you to settle in the city and get some money to spend the days well.
If you want to contribute to this city you can volunteer in many different ways. You can teach English to local people, keep the historical places clean, guide travelers, and others. There are many volunteer and non profit organisations working and you can get in touch with any of them to help.