Eco-friendly travel guide to Rostock advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Rostock, Germany.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$25 - $110
- Budget per day: US$110 - $320
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Rostock is known to be the largest city in the Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania state of Germany. Not only in the state, but this city also comes in 4th place for being the largest city in Germany. You will be able to enjoy the seas here very well even after being not the best coastal city in the world. Apart from all these, the city is also very famous around the world for having the popular Rostock University. You will also be able to see other famous attractions as well such as gardens, churches, rivers, historical spots, and others.
If you like to take part in outdoor activities, then you will be able to get a very good experience in this city. One of the things that you must do in this city is exploring the culture. There are many things about the city that will seem different to you such as clothing, foods, languages, and others. You will need to visit the city very well to know all the different things in detail. However, there are some of the things that you need to keep in mind during your trip to this city as an eco-friendly traveler. Here are some of these things are given below.
- After exploring all the different parts and attractions of the city, you will need to visit a quiet place. As an eco-friendly traveler, you can visit the city parks of Rostock. It will help you get far from the crowd and get fresh air. Most of these parks are surrounded by green that will help you to get close to nature
- After reaching the city, you will find a lot of modes of transportation available to move around. Most of them are run by fuel that pollutes the air a lot. So, you can choose the green options to travel to instead of them that keep the environment safe. Some of these eco-friendly transportations are electric bikes, electric vehicles, and others
- Being a popular tourist destination, this city offers a lot of accommodation options. From cheap to expensive, you will get a lot of options available for your stay. Among all the others, you can pick green hotels for your stay that both help you to stay healthy and reduce the waste of the city,
- During your trip to Rostock, you need to try the foods to understand the culture very well. There are different cuisines available in the city including traditional ones at very low prices. However, make sure to visit the street food shops of the city as well. Most of these small sellers are dependent on tourism. It will both help them to earn and you to save some money
- There are plenty of small shops in the city scattered through different locations. From handicraft items to clothes, you will be able to get different types of things available from them. As an eco-friendly traveler, try to buy as many items as possible from the small shops to support them and help them to keep providing amazing things to customers.
Air Quality and Pollution
Knowing the quality of air of your travel destination is very important that will help you to stay safe. Make sure to check in advance as bad air quality can ruin the whole experience of traveling to the city. If you do not want to get your trip interrupted because of getting sick, then it is very important. The air quality of the city is good, and most of the people will not have any problem roaming around. The pollution in the air is not very high that keeps you safe during your trip.
However, you can still carry masks and medicines with you in case of an emergency. There are some of the things that you need to keep in mind as your health condition. If you have some of the conditions including asthma or serious breathing problems, then the bad air quality can be very bad for your health. You will need to take the advice of a doctor before going on the trip. The doctor will help you to know which precautions you need to take to travel without worries. The average Air Quality Index (AQI) of this city stays between 10-25.
Respect the Culture
During your trip to another destination, one of the things that you need to keep in mind is exploring the culture. Many tourists visit different cities to know the culture and traditions. If you are one of them, you will be able to get a very good experience of exploring the culture here. From clothes to food, the vibrancy and difference of both cultural and traditional sides are visible.
If you want to know the culture very well, then you will need to visit some of the museums of the city along with the historical sites in the city. As the city is very well known for quality education, the local people are very well educated. You can also visit the city at the Hanse Sail festival that helps to understand the culture of the city very well. During this time, the cultural and traditional side of the city gets very visible. You will need some time on your hand to explore the culture very well.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Rostock is one of the best cities in Germany where people from different parts of the world visit. The reason behind the popularity is that this city offers some beautiful places that can live up to your expectations. Here are the top 10 among all the beautiful places given below.
- St. Mary's Church - This church was established in the year 1265 and is famous even today. It is because here you will get to know about the history of the world war period. The different corners of the church help you to learn a lot about the country.
- Rostock Zoo - It is the oldest zoo in the city, which is spread over 56 hectares area. Here you will get around thousands of animals among which lions and polar bears are very popular. Therefore, this place is a must-visit for you because this opportunity might not come again and again.
- Rostock Art Galley - Here you will get various varieties of art that can be either ancient or contemporary. They become a point of attraction and people love them to the fullest. So, make sure to visit this place if you love to witness art and artifacts
- Rostock Botanical Garden - It would be a better experience for all those people who are lovers of botany. But instead of having any second thoughts, you can also come here and get the best enjoyment. Just go for it, and you will have some memorable memories of your life.
- Stoltera Bei - This place is a nice example of nature as here you will get to see some scenic views. They are not enough praising because they always give you a feeling of wow. Therefore, you cannot say no to this place because it is the heaven of your dreams. Make sure to visit this place if you do not want to miss a nice and memorable experience
- Karls Riesen-Rutschen-Turm - An amusement park for the children, where your kids can get some exciting rides. These rides have some specialties which are beyond the imaginations of everyone. Make a fair attempt at this place at least once, and you will feel like getting absorbed in it.
- Rostock astronomical clock - Believe it or not, but it is true that this clock is about 900 years old. It signifies some zodiac dials, which play a very crucial role in predicting someone's future. There is no such person who misses it because a place like this is not available in any other cities in Germany.
- Michaeliskloster - This monastery was burned down when the British bombing took place and was reconstructed later on. After visiting here you would know some important facts about that incident in a very brief manner. Make a double tick of this place and mark it as a very important one in your travel diaries.
- Westmole - A city lighthouse where you can get some nice views of the ships and docks which travel around the sea. And the most interesting thing is that this place falls among the A-listers about which you did not even know. So in the beginning, you may not find it enjoyable but afterward, you will definitely understand its value.
- Nikolai Church - Churches in the city play a very important role in expressing the culture. One of the famous churches among all the others is the Nikolai Church that was built around 1230. So, it is also one of the oldest ones in the city that will help you a lot to get a very good traveling experience. Although the church went through a full re-construction, you will be able to see a glimpse of the old structure.
Now when it comes to exploring the city of Rostock, you will get a lot of available options. There are many museums, city parks, and landmarks available that you can visit to boost up the travel experience. Some of these places are given below in detail to help you choose.
Here are some of the city parks given below that you need to visit in this city for quiet time and close to nature.
- Iga Park - If you are willing to have a picnic with your family then this is the most suitable place for you. After doing it over here your time will be spent in such a way that you cannot know it. People often call it a boring place but you have to come here and then decide how it is.
If you love to explore the wildlife and witness the best glimpse of nature and its beauty, then you must visit the national parks in this city.
- Rostocker Heide - The ambiance of this park is calm and it also gives you a fine sense of tranquillity. Visit here to explore the wild and get the fresh natural air that will help to make the trip more exciting.
- Strandoase Treichel - This beach is awesome and can be perfect for a nice experience of swimming. Lounge into its water and see that how you get a different kind of happiness.
- Rosenort - It is a sandy beach and here you can get some seashells and corals. They are good for your house decoration and can also be used as a showpiece. You can also take part in multiple outdoors activities as well
- Warnemünde lighthouse - It is the main lighthouse, which is located in the heart of the city. Not only the locals but the tourists also know this place very well and it is visible from a long distance.
- Shipbuilding and Maritime Museum- Explore this place vividly and take a journey to the marine life. It will showcase how the mariners and the navy soldiers protected the ship during the early ages. You can also refer to it as something which you might have never seen before.
- Heimatmuseum Warnemünde - In this museum, some German artifacts are being displayed which had better importance during the 18th century.
One of the things that play a major and crucial part in the culture of a destination is the food. You will need to try different foods and cuisines of a destination to understand the lifestyle. Rostock offers a lot of different types of foods to travelers. You need to try all of the different ones very well to have a very good food experience. However, the first thing that you need to try is the traditional cuisines.
As the dishes in this city are made with seasonal spices and ingredients, you will be able to get a very different type of experience in the city. Here are some of the information about different types of food given below that will help you to get the tastes. Make sure to visit all the different corners of the city very well to know more about the foods.
Traditional Local Restaurants
One of the things that you need to try first in the city is the traditional restaurants. There are many traditional restaurants available in all the corners of the city. Visit these restaurants to get all the dishes available at very low prices. Some of the famous traditional restaurants are given below in detail.
- Zwanzig 12 Restaurant - The atmosphere and decor of this restaurant make it different from all the other ones. The historic and rustic house like looks of this restaurant is very famous in the city for providing traditional dishes at low prices
- Petrikeller - Travel back to middle age and have a memorable dinner in this themed restaurant. Along with the difference in speech, clothes, waitresses, and decors, the menu of this restaurant is very special and helps to get plenty of traditional dishes. Make sure to try some of the special dishes of the restaurant to get a very good food experience in Rostock
Vegetarian and Vegan
Many travelers worry about eating at their destination as they are vegetarian. Getting vegan foods available in different destinations is very hard. However, things are not the same in Rostock, as you will be able to get a lot of vegetarian restaurants available in the city that provide vegan foods at low prices. Here are some of the top ones that you can visit to have a wide range of tasty dishes.
- Gruene Kombuise - This is one of the best vegan restaurants in the city that is offering different vegan dishes to customers since 2015. You will be able to get a wide list of food and dishes available in this restaurant to have a very good food experience
- Vegangster - Opened in 2014, this restaurant offers veg budgers, langos, voner, soup, pakora, and other dishes. From starter to dessert, you will be able to get a list of veg dishes in this restaurant
Just like traditional foods, the street foods of the city also play a very crucial role in improving the culture of the city. You will find a lot of street food dishes available that can help you to save money and get a very good food experience. Almost in all the different lanes of Rostock, you will find the street food stalls and shops available. Some of the street foods are much older than other traditional cuisines.
Some of the street food dishes that you need to try in this city are seafood, fish and chips, desserts, and others. Purchasing street food from the small sellers will help them a lot to keep providing tasty foods and earn some money. Most of these small sellers are completely dependent on tourism.
Drinks are one of your best friends on any trip. You will need to take the help of drinks between your exploration to stay hydrated and get the energy. Rostock will not disappoint you when it comes to getting drinks. There are plenty of drinks available in the city from alcohol to soft drinks. You will be able to get drinks based on your choice in different areas of the city.
You can visit the nightlife of the city that is very popular for offering different types of drinks to the customers under one roof. They are plenty of bars, nightclubs, and pubs in the city that will help you to get a very good drinking experience. One of the drinks that you must try in this city is the craft beers. You will be able to get the craft beers available in all the shops and counters. Sitting on a beach and sipping on the drinks will add a very good excitement to your trip to this city.
On your trip to Rostock, you will need to know many different things to keep yourself safe and healthy. One of those things is the tap-water of the city that is served in all the different venues like restaurants, cafes, theatres, and others. The tap water of Rostock is drinkable and the local people drink it without getting sick or ill. You do not need to verify from other sources as the locals and all the other travelers use tap water for drinking. However, you can boil or filter the water very well to get rid of all the bad properties of the water.
It will ensure that the drink is free from pollution and 100% safe. If you do not want to take the risk, then there are the options available to use bottled drinking water instead. The shops in this city offer packaged drinking water at very low prices to the customers. Make sure to carry a bottle of water with you on your exploration as there are some places available where you might not be able to get a shop nearby.
Organic foods are the common choice of travelers who do not want to compromise their health. While it helps them to stay fit, most of these foods provide the energy to roam the city very well. You will be able to get some of the best organic cafes available in this city that will help you to get a very good food experience. Although the price of foods might be a bit high compared to normal foods, the quality is very good. You will need to know the name of these cafes or restaurants to find them faster and have your meal. So, here is the name of some of the famous and tasty organic restaurants given below.
- Vapiano Rostock
Being a coastal city, the first choice of travelers is to sip on a drink while sitting on the beaches. So, you will be able to find a lot of different local drinks in different areas of the city. All of these alcohols are available from the cheap to expensive price range. If you want to witness the magic and mysteries behind these amazing alcohols, then you will need to visit the local breweries.
Most of these breweries offer a tor to understand and have a glimpse of their making process. Some of them also offer a tasting facility to the customers that will help you to different beers. Although the tasting is free in most of the places, some of them might charge a low amount of money for it. If you are a drink lover, then this is one of the things that you must do in the city.
Rostock is one of the famous cities of Germany and is visited by a huge number of visitors every year. A major reason for having a good amount of tourists in this city is the available activities. Based on your choice, you can choose a lot of activities to do here. The most common ones are the famous attractions like churches, natural landscapes, sea beaches, mountains, and others. However, these are not the only ones, you can visit the museums to know more about the history of the city.
If you love to have some adrenaline rush, then you can take part in different outdoor activities too. You will be able to get a lot of activities available in this city. As Rostock offers sea, jungles, and mountains, you can take part in various activities including trekking, hiking, snorkeling, scuba diving, rock climbing, bird watching, and many more. All of these activities will help you to get a very good experience of the city.
Yoga and Retreats
City parks are not the only place that can help you to get some alone time and help you to get your energy back. You can also visit the yoga classes to have your energy back and get far away from the crowd of the city. As the local people of the city are very concerned about their health, you will be able to get a lot of yoga centers and retreats available in the city. Most of these yoga retreats are visited by locals and travelers. So, you will need to book them in advance to get the yoga classes or sessions available. You can take the help of online websites and services to book the yoga sessions easily. Most of these classes are very cheap and offer mental peace.
Before planning all the different things about your tour, you need to know what are the different accommodation options available for you to stay in the city. Being a popular tourist destination, you will be able to get a wide range of options available in this city from cheap to expensive ones. However, you will need to choose an accommodation based on your staying time in the city and budget. While some of them offer extra facilities, you will be able to stay comfortably in all of them.
Among all the other ones, you will be able to get the best stay and keep the environment better at the same time by choosing the green hotels. No matter which one you choose for your stay in Rostock, it is better to book the rooms in advance to ensure your stay as they tend to get full very fast. However, here are some of the different options given below in detail that will help you to choose the mode of accommodation for you.
As mentioned earlier, green hotels are the most eco-friendly option to stay in a destination. By choosing to stay in these hotels, you will ensure the safety of your health and reduce the waste of the environment. They use different methods that do not produce pollution or waste. Some of the most common ones are recycled water, solar energy for different facilities, and others. It helps a lot to save the natural resources as well along with keeping the city safe from pollution.
The price of these hotels is the same as the other accommodations in the city. You will be able to get a lot of facilities and benefits available from all of these green hotels. Make sure to book the green hotels in advance to get the rooms available and try to book it in the middle of the city to get connected to all the different areas very well. You can take the help of online services to book the hotels early.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels and guest houses are similar to green hotels but available at a cheaper price that helps you a lot to save a lot of money. There are plenty of hostels and guest houses available in all the corners of the city. You will be able to get all the basic facilities available in even the low price accommodations. The best thing about hotels is that you can even share the room with other people to reduce the fee. Just like other accommodations, you will be able to get them at different price ranges. If you are thinking of staying for more than one week, then this is the best option for you. It is best to book them in advance to get them available in the city.
Apartments are the best option for your stay if you are thinking of staying for more than 1 month in the city. They are available at a very low range that helps you to save a lot of money on accommodations. Even in those areas, where other accommodations are not available, you will be able to get plenty of apartments. They offer a comfortable stay along with all the different benefits. However, the best thing about staying in apartments is that you will be able to get a closer look at the lifestyle of the local people of the city.
Apartments are rented by the local people as well for different purposes. You will be surrounded by locals, which will help you to get friendly with them and know a lot of things about them. You can use online or offline services to book the apartments or rent them. You do not have to book the rooms early as the number of apartments is very high and it doesn't get fully booked.
Couchsurfing is a new way of accommodation that helps you to stay in the city like a local. You will be able to get a lot of Couchsurfing hosts available in Rostock, but you will have to look for them earlier using online websites. Using this, you will be able to stay with a traveler who is local to the city. The host will provide you a place to stay and local foods along with warm hospitality. Staying like a local will help you to know more about their culture, language, traditions, and many other things.
If you love to do adventure, then camping is the best option for you for staying in your travel destination. You will be able to get camping spots available all over the city in different locations like mountains, beaches, parks, and others. Despite being in remote locations, you will be able to get all the different benefits and facilities available in these camping spots. As they are very popular, you will have to book the tickets very early to get them available and enjoy some of the best natural landscapes.
How to Get There
Based on the location of your home, you will be able to get different transportations available to reach this city. You will need to choose the mode of transportation based on different things like your budget, available time for the trip, explorations, and others. From expensive to cheap, you will be able to get all the different types of transportations available. Here are some of the most common ones given below in detail.
Air is the fastest way to travel to any destination from most of the places. If you are traveling from other countries, then you will be able to get flights very easily to reach Rostock. However, you need to know that you will not be able to enjoy the side scenes and beautiful places on your way to the city from flights. Also, the flight is much more expensive as it helps you to reach faster to the city.
Buses are the cheapest way to travel to any destination among all the other transportations options. You will be able to get a bus from most of the cities and countries. Unlike flights, you will be able to get the views on your way but you will need a lot of time to reach the city by bus.
Trains are one of the transportations that provide a unique experience of traveling to different destinations. Many travelers prefer to travel using trains among all other ones. You can visit Rostock by train if you have enough time on your hand and the urge to see all the different scenic beauties on your way. It is best to book buses online and buy tickets in advance to get them available.
Hitchhiking is the best way to travel to any destination for all travelers who like to have a very good adventurous experience. As the city is connected to other cities and countries by road, you will be able to hitchhike your way. The people of the city are very friendly, which will help you to get a lift easily from the local people. Before starting this adventurous journey, you need to know that it takes a lot more time to reach the destination by hitchhiking compared to all the other modes of transportation.
These are not the only available ways to travel to Rostock from different locations. If you are traveling from a city in Germany, then you can take the road by bike or car to reach the destination city for the best experience. From many countries, you can travel by water as Rostock is a coastal city. All of these are nice options to travel to Rostock if you have enough time available on your hand.
Just like reaching the city, you will get plenty of options available to move around too. There are many local transportations available in the city in different areas that will help you to travel from one to another place very well. However, you need to choose based on your time limit and budget as some of them can be costly. Here are the most common transportations to move around the city given below.
Walking is considered to be the best option to explore the city very well and travel around. If you have time on your hand, then walking can help you to understand the culture and explore all the different things very well. You will be able to enter some of the places where only pedestrians are allowed. However, you need to know that you will not be able to cover a lot of attractions in a day as walking around takes a lot of time. It is one of the eco-friendly ways of moving around that helps to keep the environment of the city safe
Bicycling is a very good way of moving around as it helps to both keep your health well by exercise and travel around without ruining the environment. You can take the help of a cycle to visit all the different parts of the city very well and faster than walking. You can talk with the local services to know what the price of renting a cycle is.
Instead of choosing rental cars to move around the city and different attractions, you can choose to move around by electric vehicles. It helps a lot to improve the environment as there is no smoke produced from them. You can get electric vehicles for almost the same price as rental fueled cars. You can use the online services to book or rent the cars of your choice.
Public bus is the cheapest way to move around the different places of the city. As the bus is very well connected to all the different corners, you will be able to move very well. The best thing about moving on public buses is that you will be able to know a lot about the local people and their lifestyle. Also, you will be able to enjoy all the different landscapes and views on your way very well. Take some time on your hand when traveling by bus as traffic can make you delay to reach your destination.
Tram, Train and Subway
Apart from all the other ones, you can also travel to different parts of the city by tram. The Rostock tramway network is connected very well to all the areas. Apart from that, you can also roam around the different attractions of the city by trains. The best thing about traveling by trains is that there is no chance of getting traffic. You will need a lot more time to reach different places than cars, but it is one of the best experiences that you will get.
Sustainable shopping is the best way to get some of the best items from the city while helping the environment. You will be able to get items that are recycled, second-hand, and others to reduce waste production. There are plenty of markets that offer high-quality sustainable items at a low price range. Here are some of them given below with details to help you know more.
You can visit the local food markets of the city to explore the different vegetables, seasonal spices, and other ingredients that are available in the city. If you are interested in food and cooking, then these food markets can help you to get a very good time. Some of the famous ones of the city that you can visit in this city are given below.
- Orientalische Lebensmittel
- Rostocker Fischmarkt
Flea markets are the best place if you are in search of collectible items, vintage goods, antiques, and other rare items. It will help you to get some of the rare collectibles to make your collection exclusive. You will need to visit these markets early to get all the different items available. Here are some of the famous flea markets that you can visit in the city.
- Wochenmarkt Neuer Markt
Second Hand Stores
If you want to reduce the waste of the city, then you can choose to shop for clothes, bags, shoes, and other accessories from second-hand stores. Most of these stores offer items at very low prices that help to save a lot of money. Most of these items are very high-quality and almost like the new ones.
Eco-fashion is one of the newest ways of clothing that helps to keep you healthy and free from harmful chemicals. All eco-fashion clothes and accessories are made using natural materials that make them safe to wear. The prices of these clothes or other items might be high, but it is one of your responsibilities.
Recycling is one of the major things that is necessary for almost all the cities and countries around the world. The city has taken multiple initiatives to improve the recycling process. They have managed to reduce the pollution of different areas of the city very well. You will be able to see a lot of recycling plants available on your way to attractions.
The waste management system and waste disposal system has improved a lot in Rostock. They have minimized the use of plastic to produce recyclable waste. The local people of the city can dispose of different types of waste without any cost including garden waste, electronic waste, batteries, clothes, and others.
Work and Study Abroad
Rostock is known for offering higher study and having a very good education system. You will be able to see a lot of students in this city from other countries. Universities like Rostock University, Hanseatic University Rostock, and others. Along with a good education, the students also receive very good benefits. Some of these benefits and facilities are given below.
One Of the most common and famous benefits is the exchange student program. Using this program, you will be able to study at the university of any country you like without spending a lot of money. However, you will need to get nominated by the home institute, and they need to have a partnership with the home university as well. If you get this program, you will be able to study in foreign universities without only paying the tuition fee. Most of the universities, colleges, and schools of this city offer exchange students to foreign students.
Au Pair is one of the best ways to stay in the city in the initial stage. Luckily, you will be able to find a lot of Au Pair hosts available in Rostock by searching online. Using the Au Pair, you will be able to get a place to stay, food, and some pocket money as well in exchange for taking care of the household or children.
Volunteering is the best way to contribute to the city and keep it safe and clean. You can find different jobs available for volunteers, such as teaching English to locals, keeping famous places clean, collecting waste, planting trees, and others. Take part in them to make this city a better place for both locals and travelers.