Eco-friendly travel guide to San Marino advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in San Marino, Europe.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Bus connections: 3 / 5
- Train connections: 0 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 4 / 5
- National parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 2.5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$40 - $400
- Budget per day: US$70 - $800
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
San Marino is the third littlest country in Europe after the Vatican City and Monaco and cases to be the world's most seasoned republic. As indicated by custom, it was established by a Christian stonemason named Marinus in 301. San Marino's foreign approach is lined up with that of Italy, which encompasses it. Social and political patterns in the republic likewise track intimately with those of its bigger neighbour. It is the littlest autonomous state in Europe after Vatican City and Monaco and, until the autonomy of Nauru (1968), it was the littlest republic on the planet. The country's economy is essentially founded on commerce, industry, administrations and the travel industry. It is one of the richest nations on the planet in GDP per capita, with a figure practically identical to the most created European locales. Its economy is viewed as exceptionally steady. It has one of the most minimal joblessness rates in Europe, no national debts and a spending excess. Keeping most of this in mind, the 35000 odd strong population is known to be extremely considerate about environment issues. Keeping this in mind travellers need to always ensure that they do not indulge in activities that harm the environment, also they must strive to minimise their carbon footprint. For the same, given in this section of the article are the different ways in which one can be a truly responsible tourist.
Regardless, attempt and utilise the public transportation however much as could be expected. While there aren't an excessive number of alternatives and the solace of a private vehicle or a taxi is undeniably more predominant, it is recommended that you utilise the cable cars and the buses, these are productive, cost-efficient and they positively assist you with lessening your carbon impression. What's more, San Marino is a country whose magnificence is second to none and exploring it by foot or on a bike will likewise serve to be a wonderful encounter.
A major part of capable voyaging remembers living for your destination in such a way that you use the local assets in the most ideal conceivable manner and one such route for you to do that as a traveller is to stay in an eco-friendly or a green hotel. This will assist you with guaranteeing that you diminish your effect on the climate and picking a decent green hotel will give you every one of the amenities and facilities in a considerably more sustainable way.
The local markets are known to be a rarely explored secret stash, here you will discover everything from artefacts to locally created merchandise that mirrors the fine craftsmanship. Moreover, this will help the local economy in a significant manner as you will put money straightforwardly into the pockets of the makers and potentially avoid brokers in-between. This will additionally empower you to help these little enterprises that don't work out of insatiability and use the city's assets cautiously.
Likewise, attempt to explore local food at straightforward eateries to appreciate amazing Italian cooking. Maintain a strategic distance from enormous fast-food chains and worldwide brands no matter what. The more modest bistros, cafés, and even food carts will serve you the absolute most valid dishes, all the more along these lines, in the event that you intend to prepare your own Italian feast ensure you get the fixings from local food markets and not supermarkets. The freshest produce including vegetables, fish, and a wide range of meats will be found at these markets, they will be valued fittingly also and regularly serve to be the distinction between a decent home-prepared dinner and an extraordinary one.
Air Quality and Pollution
San Marino has a sporadic rectangular structure with the greatest length of 8 miles upper east to southwest. The environment is gentle and calm, annual rainfall is between 560 and 800 millimetres with the highest temperatures at around 26 °C in summer and the lowest at about −7 °C in winter. Keeping this in mind the tourists need to be extremely wise while packing their bags for this tiny nation. They certainly need to ensure that they pack their bags in complete accordance with the time of the year and the season in which they are visiting.
The air quality in San Marino is exceptional, most of the major cities are known to have pollution under control and are absolutely safe for people of all age groups and health backgrounds. This might come as an absolute surprise for many as the country is renowned across the globe for being the only nation with more automobiles than residents. Despite this and the rapid industrial growth, the country has immaculate AQI scores. Thus, as a tourist, one certainly does not need to take too many precautions or carry protective gear. Only those with pre-existing health conditions related to breathing must be cautious and consume prescribed medications timely.
Respect the Culture
The people of San Marino can literally be thought of as Italians as they are surrounded by Italy and the Italian culture has helped shape much of their culture and traditions. Yet, it is important to acknowledge their sovereign status though they are known to be very loving and friendly towards their neighbours. Italian, the official language of San Marino, is spoken by all its residents. Nonetheless, the Italian of the Sammarinese is different and distinguishable, as certain words and phrases are identifiable to San Marino. A large chunk of Sammarinese also speak the regional dialect of Romagna, which is essentially the region of Italy where the country is situated. The pop culture of the two countries, the topics of interest and the culinary culture is also alike. As a vacationer, on the off chance that you intend to be the "acceptable traveller" around, it is proposed that you invest energy with locals holding over mainstream society, have a go at discussing music, motion pictures, and games. Holding over wine and different spirits is additionally an extraordinary thought yet maybe the most ideal choice is offering a dinner to the local individuals. The sublime Italian food is ideal for practically any and each event and you also could take a stab at making some pasta or pizzas of different kinds. Families assume a significant part in any person's life, so in the event that you are welcome to eat with a local individual's family, see yourself as special. Show regard to every one of the individuals, particularly the seniors like guardians and grandparents, all the more so on the off chance that it is a lady who welcomes you over to her home for a dinner. Ensure that you take something for the family like a bottle of wine, going in with practically nothing would be a wrongdoing. While things may appear to be concerned almost immediately, as the feast advances and a couple of beverages are finished, you can be guaranteed of acceptable fun with music and dance. Additionally, explicitly in San Marino, it is recommended that you keep things low at night as the locals scorn being upset and stay away from ordinarily touristy activities as well. It is recommended that you generally dress smartly at whatever point you are going out. With the country overall being a design capital for the world, San also has exclusive requirements of dressing, so ensure you are looking neat if not your best for any trip. Moreover, the local individuals will, in general, approve of mindful critiquing and analysis yet this should be done as unobtrusively as conceivable as possible will, in general, be hot-blooded and might be enraged. Religion is additionally a delicate point here and it is ideal on the off chance that you leave out the Church, the Pope, and anything to do with Christianity in the event that you're not going to talk about any of them in great light.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Some of the most interesting places to visit in the region come under the small boundaries of San Marino. Given below is a list of the top 10 places that any tourist must visit while touring the Italian region around San Marino:
- The San Francisco Convent: It was finished in the 15th century and merits visiting for its delightful shelter just as for the art showed here. The congregation is presently home to an art museum. In the holy art part of the museum are works from a few previous Franciscan holy places, remembering compositions for material and wood, decorations, and different things showing the long history and impact of the request in San Marino. The Art Gallery segment is known for its assortments of sixteenth-century artistic creations, which incorporate works by Raphael, Guercino, and Gerolamo. The city's primary passage, a monstrous entryway known as the Porta di San Francesco, is incorporated into the dividers of the congregation.
- Basilica di San Marino: This Neo-traditional basilica was inherent in the mid-nineteenth century on the establishments of a fourth-century Romanesque church, likewise committed to San Marino (St. Marinus), which had been abandoned. The inside is exemplary basilica style, with a long nave and two side paths fixed with special raised areas. The seven special stepped areas merit seeing for their sculpture and artworks, and the high raised area has a sculpture of St. Marinus formed by Tadolini. An urn at the high raised area contains the relics of St. Marinus.
- Maranello Rosso Ferrari Museum: The historic car museum located at the base of Mount Titano is home to an assortment of vehicles identifying with the set of experiences, life, and vehicles of Enzo Ferrari and Carlo Abarth. You'll discover sports vehicles, Formula 1, and vehicles having a place with well-known individuals, including the main Ferrari Spyder planned by Pininfarina and claimed by Marilyn Monroe. Among the 25 Ferrari vehicles dating from 1951 to the present is the most renowned of all, the 250 GTO Red that won three World Championships. There are unpublished photographs and mementoes from the historical backdrop of rivalries, races, and the game victories and life of Carlo Abarth.
- Museum of Curiosities: It surely is one of the most interesting and most engaging activities in San Marino, is this assortment of bizarre items and unconventional creations and their accounts. In the assortment of around a hundred items are 2 feet-tall wooden obstructs intended to wear during Venice's high waters, the world's longest fingernails, an eighteenth-century German mousetrap, a snare for bugs, a seventeenth-century hand-siphoned shower, a "nose watch" that works by making smoke of various fragrances every hour, and silver covers to ensure the long fingernails of Chinese Mandarins. There are shows about uncommon individuals, as well as the world's tallest recorded man and its shortest lady. Indeed, even the free vehicle offered to take you from the city parking to the museum is intriguing - a 1913 Ford engine mentor.
- Palazzo Pubblico: The neo-Gothic Government House with its square-shaped beset tower was planned by the modeller Francesco Azzurri in the latter part of the nineteenth century and worked of stone quarried on Mount Titano. The exterior is decorated with ensigns of the Republic and its four districts, and inside, a flight of stairs prompts the Council Hall on the highest level.
- Piazza della Liberta: It is one of the most well-known spots to visit in San Marino on the grounds that as often as possible for the duration of the day, the Guardie di Rocca change watch in a beautiful service. Their regalia - a dim green twofold breasted coat with white plait, red pants with a green stripe, caps with red tufts, and white gaiters - guarantee that everyone scores extraordinary photographs of the occasion.
- Coin and Stamp Museum: For stamp authorities around the world, San Marino implies wonderful postage stamps, and philatelists can appreciate a total assortment in this museum housed in the congregation at Borgo Maggiore. The republic has for a long time given ordinary memorial arrangement, which are pursued by authorities and are a not-unimportant type of revenue for San Marino's depository. Alongside the stamps given by the republic since the mid-nineteenth century are coins, which San Marino started printing in 1862. Since embracing the Euro, San Marino has kept on printing restricted releases of gold mint pieces for gatherers. These are acknowledged as cash inside San Marino as it were.
- Monte Titano: The most noteworthy point for a significant distance, 739-meter-high Mount Titano orders breathtaking perspectives from any of its three pinnacles. The perspectives stretch north-west to the Apennines and east to the coast, Rimini, and on a crisp morning across the Adriatic to the Dalmatian coast. Three mansions intersperse its long edge, ascending to the most elevated of them, Rocca Cesta. These are connected by a cleared way, the Passo delle Streghe or Witches' Passage. The lower part of this is fixed with stands selling bites, beverages, and keepsakes, giving the mountain ridge the demeanour of a fair. Rocca Cesta contains a museum of antiquated arms with a large number of weapons: swords, blades, and crossbows, just as early guns and some bizarre trials, for example, a 1730 knife firearm. The famous three pinnacles are appeared on both the San Marino banner and escutcheon and are part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which incorporates the old town beneath.
- Wax Museum: The century of wax figures in the museum address critical verifiable characters, each wearing the dress of their day and orchestrated in scenes, regularly with different peers. Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler are shown meeting, Jacqueline Kennedy appears in the crowd with Pope John XXIII, and Giuseppe Garibaldi is at the bedside of his withering spouse, Anita. Others are seen with their creations or devices - Marconi with his message, Galileo with telescope close by, Da Vinci holding a paintbrush - or at notable minutes, for example, President Abraham Lincoln's death in Ford's Theatre. You'll find out a little about San Marino's set of experiences here, as well.
- Rocca Guaita: Three posts crown the long edge of Mount Titano, with the city of San Marino grouped at the foot of their dividers. The first and soonest of the fortifications is Rocca Guaita, developed in the eleventh century. It served for a period as a jail and was revamped a few times for various utilisations until it arrived at the structure we see today, during the fifteenth century battle between San Marino and the House of Malatesta. It takes a touch of moving to arrive, yet the pinnacle is certainly justified regardless of a visit for the all-encompassing perspectives on the encompassing wide open from its grand roost.
There are plenty of places to explore in San Marino despite its small size. These places that must be explored shall give you an insight into this minuscule nation. Thus, given in the sections below are some of the most unique places that one must visit when touring the country.
The city parks are truly exceptional places escape from the hustle and the bustle of the towns in the country. They offer a quiet place for many to rest and relax. These parks help you reconnect with nature, find peace and calm. Hence, given below are some of the parks that you can explore in San Marino:
- Parco Ausa
- Forget the Stories
- San Marino Nature Park
San Marino as a nation is so small that one shall find it difficult to have multiple national parks here. However, for those who are enthusiasts of local flora and fauna, wishing to explore the wildlife and wilderness of this small nation must head to the above-mentioned San Marino Nature Park. This nature park encompasses every type of flora and fauna that you can expect in the country, more so, it offers exceptional views of surrounding areas.
San Marino is a landlocked country, but those who are truly interested in hitting the beach can certainly take a short trip, cross a few boundaries and head out. Miles of lovely white sands lapped by the Adriatic line Italy's east coast in a vacation district known as the Riviera Romangola. At the focal point of these is Rimini, just 22 kilometres from San Marino. Every one of these towns have the standard Italian-style beach resorts with lines of parlor seats and umbrellas for lease, however numerous likewise have free beaches, most additionally outfitted with changing rooms and lifeguards. Traveling south from Rimini there are superb beaches at Rivabella, Riccione, and Cattolica, which is particularly mainstream with families for its delicate waves and safe Blue Flag beaches. North of Rimini are Viserba, Visebella, Bellaria, and the lovely port of Cesenatico, with its little harbor loaded with vintage boats. The free beach of Tamerici at Cesenatico is planted with trees whose lavish foliage gives common beach umbrellas.
The landmarks of San Marino are truly the highlights of tourists’ itineraries when they are visiting this tiny nation. Given below are a few such landmarks that are absolutely unmissable:
- Three Towers of San Marino
- Basilica of San Marino - Pieve
- Palazzo Pubblico
As a tourist, if you truly wish to learn about the history and the culture of a country, there is no better place than the local museums to gain first-hand knowledge along with a vast display of various artefacts that make the entire experience of gaining knowledge much more wholesome, memorable and reliable. Given below is a list of some such museums that are worth a visit in San Marino:
- Wax Museum
- Ancient Weapons Museum
- Museum of Curiosities
- Museo di Stato
- Modern Art Gallery
- Museum of Medieval Criminology and Torture
Handcrafted pasta is one of the most famous nourishments eaten by the Sammarinese. Fagioli con le cotiche, a hearty bean soup with bacon skin is an uncommon occasion dish customarily eaten at Christmastime. Nidi di Rondine, whose name signifies "swallows' nests," comprises of empty pasta loaded up with ham, cheddar, and a meat-and-pureed tomatoes, and afterward heated in a white sauce. A famous treat is zuppa di ciliege, cherries absorbed red wine and sugar and presented with a unique bread. Another most loved is bustrengo, a conventional occasion dish made with eggs, milk, raisins, sugar, bread pieces and cornflour.
Mountains, old fortifications, and antiquated manors are three significant things that make San Marino a dazzling spot to be. Another part of their culture you'll unquestionably like is their beverages. San Marino is loaded up with quality cafés that serve these quality beverages. They can likewise be found in homes and different spots. Here are the most mainstream drinks in San Marino. San Marino has an exquisite wine culture that is valued by its kin. These wines have been around for quite a long time and have structure part of the social experience of individuals. Sammarinese love their wine and as a traveler, that is the thing that you're in all likelihood going to be acquainted with, anyplace you go. There are numerous wines in the nation be that as it may, two of the most well known ones are Sangiovese, red wine and biancale, a white wine. Despite the fact that, there is a solid inclination for local wine by individuals, wines from Italy are accessible too. Additionally, you can enjoy some fine coffee and tea here.
Tap water that is widely available in San Marino is known to be exceptionally fit for consumption. Thus, as a tourist, if you aren’t too particular about taste or don’t have a weak belly, then you just need to carry around a bottle of water to refill every now and then to keep yourself hydrated on the go.
Pottery is made in an assortment of styles. The locale's white sandstone has been cut into sculptures, building stones, and different items since old occasions. Other customary artworks incorporate artistic creation, gems, wood cutting, tile work, cowhide merchandise, and materials. Try your hand at this to learn a new skill in San Marino. Also, the country is acclaimed for its stamps. They are planned by regarded artists and give the republic a significant kind of revenue. Try going out shopping for a few of these to build a collection. San Marino's coins show similar artistic inventiveness as its stamps. Archery is the customary national game of San Marino. Two other most loved games are rifle and pistol shooting. San Marino's area close to Italy's drift on the Adriatic Sea permits its occupants to appreciate water sports including swimming, cruising, and remote ocean jumping. The Italian game of bocce, yard bowling with weighty metal balls, is a mainstream distraction. The Sammarinese additionally appreciate basketball, football, tennis, and baseball. Try your hand at any of the above sports to learn or even compete and increase your prowess against friends back home.
Despite being a very small country, San Marino is known to offer a rather large variety of options when it comes to accommodation. Given in the sections below are the different types of accommodations that you can choose from on your trip to the country.
Most of the hotels situated in San Marino are known to be eco-friendly, adopting sustainable practices. The local laws are pretty strict about the wastage of resources, hence, no matter which hotel you choose, it shall be a reasonably green choice compared to hotels in other countries across Europe. While there are not many hotels with the necessary certifications to deem it a green hotel, given below are choices that you may want to consider:
- Hotel Joli San Marino
- Titan Suites Hotel San Marino
- Hotel Rosa San Marino
- Hotel Silvana
- Grand Hotel San Marino
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels are often a phenomenal choice for young adults who are looking to tour countries on a budget. Hostels offer a vibrant, young and dynamic atmosphere, living space for individuals to socialise. Modern hostels offer a host of amenities, shared spaces and services that are akin to major hotel chains, that too at a fraction of the cost. Hence, Hostel San Marino is the one and only option worth considering if you are looking to stay in a hostel while visiting San Marino.
Leasing apartments in San Marino is known to be a significant simple choice. Notwithstanding, the rental rates are referred to be very high and as tourists you might need to consider the choice on the off chance that you are living for extensive stretches of time, or in the event that you esteem your privacy, or on the off chance that you several companions living with you, that way you will maintain a strategic distance from the extravagant rates and inflexible principles and guidelines of hostels and hotels.
Couch Surfing is a good idea to execute in San Marino and the greater part of the youthful grown-ups are the ones enjoying it. In the event that you have an incredible profile, on the off chance that you are dynamic, you can approach a host and make reasonable plans, simply ensure you are just about as unsettled as your host anticipates that you should be and assist with a couple of tasks and offer a badge of appreciation toward the finish, all things considered. However, considering the small population, one must anticipate a small number of hosts throwing their doors open.
While the rules about pitching a tent and enjoying a camp in the wilderness in San Marino varies from place to place, you can always ask the locals and find a good site to set up camp. But beyond this, given below is the place you can rely on to give you the perfect experience under the sky, surrounded by nature, enjoying a perfect meal and snuggling to bed:
- Centro Vacanze San Marino
Getting There and Moving Around
Reaching San Marino directly shall not be an easy endeavour as it is not very well connected to major countries across the globe. Most often, tourists travel to the country via Italy. Given below are the different options you can consider.
The country of San Marino lacks an airport, as a result of this tourists shall not be able to directly fly into the country. The nearest airport is situated in the town of Rimini, which is a resort town on the East coast of Italy. From here a road journey is advised as the fastest mode of transportation.
Buses regularly operate between the major cities and towns of San Marino and Italian cities that border the country. Depending upon where you want to head to in San Marino, you can board a bus and travel to the country for fares as low as 7 USD. The bus connectivity is truly a blessing for tourists who are travelling on a budget.
The country of San Marino does not have any railway lines, hence, there are no rail connections to the country. As a tourist, you can travel to Italian cities around San Marino that have an active rail service and undergo a short journey from there to the country of San Marino.
Hitchhiking is one of the best ways to reach San Marino from neighbouring Italian towns and cities. The people are often friendly and helpful and the drive itself is known to be quite short and comfortable.
Beyond the above means of transport, you can always rent a car and drive yourself to the country of San Marino if you have a valid driving license. The country has no border controls and you can stay for upto 10 days without any necessary permits.
Sustainable shopping is a fundamental part of each eco-friendly tourists' excursion. This is critical as you can straightforwardly add to the local economy and without any help bargain a hit to eager entrepreneurs. Shop from local stores in the event that you wish to take a few to get back some composure of valid craftsmanship and try not to dirty ravenous big companies. Luckily enough, the small size of the nation and the limited population hasn’t allowed mega brands to penetrate as of yet.
A couple of recycling companies operate out of San Marino and are renowned for their recycling prowess. They implement modern technologies to recycle plastic, metals and glass to avoid their dumping in landfills.
Waste collection in San Marino is extremely systematic, the local people are aware about the techniques of separation and timely waste disposal.
Work and Study Abroad
The local economy is self-sustained and often ensures that people are offered decent jobs. Hence, many individuals from neighbouring Italian towns look to settle here or look for studying opportunities as acceptance rates are high and so are the chances of employment.
You shall see a few exchange students in San Marino, there are a few universities that deal with sciences, music and historical studies. These are a big draw for many students who enrol to visit and study on scholarship or exchange programmes undertaken by universities or the government itself.
Being an Au Pair is a decent idea in San Marino, the locals aren’t unfamiliar with the concept and are willing to hire easily as there aren’t many applicants. Find the perfect opportunity and begin talks in case you are interested.
Volunteering is the best way to give back to society and in San Marino you can certainly find a cause you believe in, but the lack of social and environmental issues may make it a challenging endeavour.