Eco-friendly travel guide to Sydney advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
- Air quality: 4.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 5 / 5
- Public transportation: 4/ 5
- Parks: 5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 5 / 5
- Safety: 4/ 5
- Accommodation: US$30 - $300
- Budget per day: US$150 - $500
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Sydney is the capital city of New South Wales in Australia. It gets a lot of attention from foreigners due to all that it has to offer.
It is the largest city in Australia and even though it has a high cost of living, Sydney is still a favourite amongst tourists and around 4.1 million international tourists visit Sydney every year. While exploring different places and the general idea of tourism is great, it is also harmful for the environment because of the way tourists travel today. It is of utmost importance to be a responsible traveller especially when we are at the verge of a climate disaster.
It is important to learn about eco tourism and how to become a responsible tourist.
How can I become a responsible tourist, or how can I travel responsibly? It is one of the frequent questions we get from foreigners. You can do this by being conscious of the natural environment in the city. It is best to ensure that none of your activities harm the environment and you are conscious of your carbon footprint. Following are some of the steps that you can take:
- Use an eco friendly transport method: It is very important to opt for an eco friendly transport method that will be the least harmful for the environment and will also decrease your carbon footprint. For example travelling by a bus or train will be more ideal than travelling by a plane or car. If you are from nearby cities then instead of catching a flight you should consider taking the train as it will release significantly less amount of Co2. Using public transport instead of taxis and private vehicles also helps massively. It is also a lot cheaper and budget friendly.
- Check your carbon offset: Plenty of online resources, apps and websites are available that you can look into in order to track your carbon footprint and look for alternatives to activities that can increase your carbon footprint.
- Bring your own reusable cutlery : 1 billion coffee cups are thrown away everyday in Sydney that are not recycled. Same goes for plastic straws, cups, cutlery and water bottles. Always have your own water bottle and metal straws. It might not look like a significant step but it can make a huge difference.
- Travel lighter: If you are travelling by car then make sure you take away the extra stuff and travel lighter. This will ensure that your car is not using too much fuel. Travelling light if you are flying in also really helps.
- Try to support the local communities and shops: Do not just go to the same highstreet chains and brands that you find everywhere in the world. n order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
While the air quality of Sydney is not that bad but it still does not meet the levels set by the world health organisation and the Australian government. There are many reasons for that, bushfires being one of them. The bushfires that Australia witnessed in 2020 were amongst the worst ones and New South Wales in Sydney was hit the most. This has had some impact on the quality of air in Sydney and the general pollution levels. However, it is not that bad and on most days the Air quality ranks average in Sydney.
Another major reason for the bad air quality and pollution levels in Sydney is fuel and vehicle emission. The standard is not as good as some of the other developed countries. This is why it is important for you to use public transport or just rent a bike when in Sydney in order to help reduce the pollution level. If every tourist did that, it would make a massive impact on the environment.
Even though the air quality is not alarmingly bad, it will still be a good idea to practice precaution and if you belong to the sensitive group then make sure you have your medication and inhaler with you at all times.
Respect the Culture
A big part of exploring a new city or a country is learning about its culture and respecting it at the same time. Australians have a very vibrant and carefree culture. They are warm, welcoming, friendly and also have a unique sense of humour which might take a while to understand.
The concept of respect should be held in high esteem when you are visiting a new place. Irrespective of the age or gender of a person, it is always important to respect them.
When visiting Sydney, you will realize that it is easy to get along with the locals. They are tolerant and they are kind so you will not have a hard time navigating around the city and learning about the local culture.
If you get an invitation to any of the locals’ homes, it comes in handy when you take along a gift. It does not have to be anything big or fancy. Just a bottle of wine will go a long way. You can go further by offering to help out in the meal preparation. You can bond with your host while doing this.
We cannot say that Sydney is a conservative city. However, it is always best that you dress to suit the occasion. People may not judge what you wear on a typical day. But dressing to suit the occasion helps you not to stand out like a sore thumb. For example if you plan on going to see the opera then dress more formally and do not just show up in shorts. Do not dress too formally when you are going to the beach etc.
Respecting the rules and regulations, the lifestyle of locals is what respecting their culture is all about.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Opera House: The Sydney Opera House opened in 1973. Asides from being one of the top tourist attractions in the city, it is also one of the most famous buildings from the 20th century. Today the building functions as a multi-venue performing arts center. The Opera House consists of several theaters, rehearsal studios, two main halls, restaurants, bars, and souvenir shops. Anyone who lays their eyes on this building for the first time will be in awe of its glorious engineering. The building is set by the seaside and resembles sails billowing in the wind. A sight to behold indeed.
- Taronga Zoo: Taronga Zoo is a great place to have a fun day no matter what age you are. Although there are many ways to get yourself to the zoo, we recommend using the ferry from Circular Quay. Taronga Zoo is located on the north side of the Sydney Harbor giving you a remarkable city view. Not only is it Australia's largest zoo, but it also promises you close encounters with a wide range of animals. You don't have to only stare at animals while you're there. You can use the opportunity to explore one of Sydney Harbor’s most enjoyable walking tracks- The Taronga Zoo to Balmoral Beach Walk.
- Queen Victoria Building: Queen Victoria Building, better known as QVB, is one of Sydney's most iconic buildings. As expected, the landmark is heritage listed. It was built in the 1890's. After undergoing renovations, the building now serves as a five-story shopping center that houses over 200 retailers. The building located in George McRae was initially designed as a marketplace and concert hall. During the Great Depression, the building had fallen into decay. Today we can see it has been restored to its former glory. QVB is a glaring example of Romanesque buildings as it features a large glass dome sheathed in copper and several stained-glass windows.
- Manly Beach (Ferry Trip): If you're at Sydney's Harbor, the best way to truly enjoy the environment is to take a Ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. The trip is notorious for its popularity amongst tourists and even locals. This has landed it on our list of Sydney's top tourist attractions. From this ride, you get to enjoy all the sights of Sydney- the Opera House, Harbor Bridge, Bradley's Head, Manly Cove, and much more. You get the best views when your seat is outside at the front of the vessel. However, make sure that the weather is favorable enough. Ferry trips are inexpensive in Sydney, so make the most of them.
- Sydney Tower Eye: This location should be at the top of your list of tourist attractions if you want to view Sydney and its surrounding suburbs from a high point of view. Here is a fun fact about Sydney's Tower Eye- it is the second tallest observation tower in the southern hemisphere, and it includes a 4D cinematic experience. There's a lot visitors can do at the tower. Your options range from dining, drinking at the rotating restaurant, and walking on the observation deck.
- Hyde Park: Hyde Park is situated on the Eastern Fringe of Sydney. Asides from being a Heritage-listed site, it is also Australia's oldest public parkland. It spans over the Domains to the Royal Botanical Garden. Some have said the park has the same look and feel like New York's Central Park though it isn't as big. The Park is filled with many historic buildings like the Supreme Court of New South Wales, St Mary's Cathedral, and Hyde Park Barracks. The Park also houses the ANZAC War Memorial- a Heritage-listed monument and museum.
- Chinese Garden of Friendship: The Chinese Garden of Friendship feels like another world entirely. The serenity of the environment makes it easy to forget that you're in Sydney. The only giveaway would be the skyscrapers. It's bigger than most people would imagine, and there are few people there at a time. This can be refreshing for anyone looking for a perfect escape and trying to enjoy some solitude. Walk through bamboo forests and cross over stone bridges to get to the garden’s beautiful pavilions. At the water edge, you can gaze at schools of koi fish or the majestic Dragon Wall. The Dragon Wall is a gift from China representing the friendship between New South Wales and Chinese Province Guangdong.
- Royal Botanical Gardens: The Royal Botanical Gardens is thought to be one of the oldest public gardens in the Southern Hemisphere. It dates back to 1810. The 30-hectare garden has withstood thick and thin over the years. This includes fires, cattle grazing, a flying fox invasion, a windmill, an aviary, and a zoo. Today the garden is referred to as an "oasis of calm in an urban jungle" It's an excellent place to host aboriginal tours in botany or enjoy a picnic in the park.
- Sea Life Sydney Aquarium: It will be out of place to think that there will be no aquarium in Sydney with its numerous water bodies. This aquarium is always a refreshing sight as you get to see sharks and other sea animals. It was opened in 1988 and displays over 700 sea species. You shouldn’t be in a hurry when visiting this place as there is usually a lot to see. We believe that they can improve and work more in this place, but it is a top place to visit in the city.
- Wild Life Sydney Zoo: Everyone would agree that the best place to see an animal in its natural habitat is the zoo. Thus, one should visit this zoo in Sydney to have an experience. After all, Australia is famous for its different animals. It was opened in 2006. It comes in handy that this place is close to the aquarium. Thus, you can visit both places on the same day. There is usually a tour guide that lets you know the animals you can play with. We are sure that you will have fun visiting this place.
Whether you are in Sydney for a vacation, business trip or as an overseas student, exploring is a very important part of the trip. The good news for travellers who are planning to visit this beautiful city is that there are plenty of places worth exploring.
From parks to museums to beaches, botanical gardens, historical landmarks, there is something for everyone. You will not get tired of the city and if you only have a few days then it will be ideal if you make an itinerary beforehand. This will allow you to see most of the places in a short amount of time and you will not miss out on a lot.
We would sometimes say that it is impossible to explore all areas of Sydney before leaving. Some people usually take it as a challenge, and you might as well. The goal is to have fun and learn new things about the area while you are exploring.
Some of the attractions will need a tour guide, while you can go to other places alone. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask the locals.
Some of the city parks in Sydney are:
- Sydney Park: The accessibility to this place is usually one of its top commendations as it is close to the city center. It is the third-largest park in the city. The vast land at this place is open for people to carry out different activities. Since this place is pet-friendly, it should not be surprising when you see people walking their dogs. This park is perfect for taking walks, jogging, and meditating. You are always sure to find a quiet area for alone time. It has a pond and trails for cycling. This park has almost everything that you will love.
- Tumbalong Park: It is usually non-stop entertainment and a fun time when you visit this park. You can either visit this park alone or in a group. What matters is that you will have fun. It gives you access to cafes and restaurants where you can enjoy some of the local delicacies. There is also a playground for children. This does not mean that adult cannot let out their inner child at this place. There is enough open space at this park, so one cannot complain of congestion even though it gets a high inflow of people. We can assure you that you will not regret visiting this park.
Here are some of the national parks in Sydney:
- Sydney Harbour National Park: It is a large Australian park in Sydney. The vegetation of this place is alluring and always compels people to visit. It will be wrong of us not to add this park to areas one can explore as there are many activities. After all, it is large and has space. If you are a fan and lover of hiking, it is possible at this park. Interestingly, one can go for a swim at the harbor. The vibe and energy at this place are always energetic.
- Royal National Park: This is another national park in Sydney where you can carry out lots of activities. You get to see waterbodies at this place, making it a perfect location for fishing. It is impossible to have a dull moment when you visit this park. At this park, you can see people having picnics or being jolly. It is worth exploring and also perfect for taking walks. If you ever want to clear your head or have alone time, this is a place to visit as you would always find somewhere calm. After all, people say that sitting and looking at waterbodies can be therapeutic. You do not want to miss out on the fun at this park!
You can also explore the beaches when you are in a new area. Some of them in Sydney are:
- Shark Beach: It is impossible to visit this beach without wanting to swim in the water or just take a dip. Thus, it is best to pack your swimwear when you are going. People love most of the features of this place, but it is comparatively small. This comes as a downside as it sometimes gets congested. However, a high inflow of people to this beach makes it easy for you to connect with others and make friends. Visiting this place also gives you access to cafes that sell excellent food.
- Milk Beach: This is another small beach in Sydney. However, it ranks high due to its blue and clear waters. Some people visit this place to relax as they stare at the waters. Although this place is small, you can do many activities like swimming and snorkeling. You can visit this place alone or in a group. You are always sure to have fun at this beach. Since this place’s environment is always clean, you are sure to have a beautiful area, perfect for taking pictures. These pictures will go a long way for your memory bank when you leave this city. It is best to add this beach to your list of places to explore.
- Bondi Beach: You cannot go to Sydney without visiting the Bondi Beach. It is one of the most iconic beaches in the world. From its beautiful golden shoreline to the clear blue water, it is a stunning beach. There are plenty of activities like surfing which you can enjoy during your trip to the Bondi Beach
Every city or place needs to have some specific sights that will classify as their landmarks. It could be important places or tall buildings. It could also be statues or designs. What matters is that they are unique enough to get the attention of anyone who passes. People should take a second look when they see any of these landmarks.
One might be wondering the importance of landmarks. Suppose you have never been to a place before and you are traveling without a tour guide. Landmarks will come in handy when you are exploring the area.
Understandably, you might miss a few turns when walking around. However, knowing some of the landmarks in the city will help you find your way around.
One of the first things any foreigner should do when they are in a new place is to ask the locals about the area’s different landmarks. Sometimes, you do not even need to ask. If you ask for a place’s description, they are likely to mention some of the landmarks you need to look out for, while they are exploring.
We cannot overlook landmarks during exploration. Some of them in Sydney are:
- Sydney Tower Eye
- Government House
- Frazer Memorial Fountain
- Mrs. Macquarie's Chair
- Archibald Fountain
It will be wrong for us not to add museums to the list of places one can explore when in a new area. After all, where else do you want to get knowledge and information about the place?
Some of the museums in Sydney are:
- Museum of Sydney: Asides from the fact that you get to learn about Sydney’s history at this place, the history of the museum is also something fascinating. The museum was built on the ruins of the house of Arthur Phillip. He was the first governor of New South Wales. It is easy to spend the whole day at this place as it has many collections that will get your attention. You also get to learn about the planet in general. We can say that this museum offers diverse knowledge and information. It is essential to know that entrance to this place is not free. However, you will enjoy exploring it.
- Art Gallery of New South Wales: This place has been in existence since 1872. If you are a lover of art, you will not be disappointed when you visit this place. It is a friendly sight for both children and adults. You get to see many famous artworks and learn more about their history. It is perfect for exploring when you are in Sydney.
Trying local food is an important component of any travel experience. It also gives you an insight to the local culture and the lifestyle of people.
Sydney is a city with a very vibrant food scene. Most of its delicacies have kinds of seafood due to the area’s water bodies. The Australian prawns and Sydney rock oyster delicacies are something you must try. These foods are delicious and have distinct flavors. You will be left wanting for more after every meal.
Chicken Parmigiana is another popular dish to try when in Sydney, and it is often served with salad and chips. Interestingly, it is also vegan-friendly.
Another meal you must taste before leaving Sydney is Pumpkin soup. We are not sure if you have ever had this delicacy before. However, your taste buds would be craving for more once you taste it.
Before leaving Sydney, it is also best to try Barramundi. With the numerous delicacies in Sydney, you cannot complain of not seeing adequate meals. The best part is that it is not hard to get these different foods. You will love them!
Traditional Local Restaurants
Some of the traditional local restaurants in Sydney are:
- Traditional Cantonese Taste: At this place, you can enjoy different traditional foods. You can find this restaurant inside a plaza in Sydney. Irrespective of the time of the day that you visit this place, you are sure to enjoy their meals. People usually give high commendations to their rice noodles. We hope that you try this restaurant when you are in Sydney.
- Traditional Gyradiko Rosebery: It is one of the top recommended restaurants in Sydney. People are always eager to visit this restaurant due to the excellent meals they serve. Their services are also of high quality, so you will not have any regrets visiting this place. We see that people always go for return or repeat visits to this restaurant. It should be on your list of places to eat when in Sydney.
- Grk Souvlaki: One of the top commendations about this place is how they serve adequate portions. Some people end up not finishing their meals because it is much. Their meals are always lovely, compelling you always to visit this restaurant. It comes in handy that the meals are fresh and do not taste stale. The staff are also always readily on the ground to help out if you have challenges.
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are a vegan, there should be no cause for alarm when you are in Sydney. This city has meals that are vegan-friendly and also has restaurants that attend to the needs of vegetarians.
Some of these vegan restaurants are:
- Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen: Some people will say that this is a vegetarian’s heaven or paradise. This is due to the numerous delicious vegan meals they serve. There should be no fear about it being congested as people are usually few that dine in this restaurant. This is not because the meals are not excellent, but some people may prefer takeout. It is a little restaurant and always gives a cozy vibe whenever you visit it. We know that you will love eating at this place.
- Bodhi Restaurant: The environment and ambiance of this place are among its top features asides from its excellent meals. It has an outdoor calm environment, and people are always eager to eat at this place. It also comes in hand that this restaurant is easily accessible as it is close to the city center. We have not seen anyone who had complaints about their meals. Interestingly, non-vegans can also eat at this place. Some people refer to it as the best vegan restaurant in Sydney.
It is common to see people selling food at the roadside when you are walking around in Sydney.
You will realize that street foods’ preparation process is not as complicated as that of regular meals. It is also easy to grab these meals and eat as you move about your different activities. Most of these street food items are usually snacks.
We have seen that many people have a love for street food, so we cannot fail to highlight some of the street food you can get in Sydney.
It will be out of place to think that you will not be familiar with some of the street food items already. Meat pie is of the most typical street food dish in Sydney, which you might have tried before. Thus, you will have no hesitation in buying it as you are already used to it.
One cannot be in Sydney without eating Lamingtons. Many people refer to this food as the Australian national cake. We know that many people are cake lovers, so you should try this Australian version. We are sure that you will love it.
You can also see barbecued snags as a part of the available street foods when you are in Sydney. These are barbequed grilled sausages that are always delicious.
If you are trying the local foods in Sydney, it is also expected that you will try the traditional drinks. After all, eating and taking a drink makes a balanced meal.
There are many varieties of drinks you can get in Sydney, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Thus, one can say that the people are liberal when it concerns drink options. This extends to all Australian cities.
Most of the drinks one can get in Sydney are also in other Australian cities. We hope that you try some of these numerous options before going back to your home city.
Vodka is one of the most typical drinks in the city. We are sure that you will be familiar with this drink as it is widespread globally. You can enjoy different types of gin and rum as well in Sydney.
When it comes to beer, there are no exceptions, as you will see various types. One of the common ones is ginger beer.
We cannot start highlighting all the types of drinks you can get in Sydney as they are many. It is left to you to try as many as you can when you are in this city. We are sure that you will enjoy yourself with these drinks.
People say that sharing a drink with others leads to a less tense ambiance. You can also try this theory.
Sydney’s water is from natural sources. It’s filtered to the high standards set by the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines. This ensures it’s safe to drink straight from the tap.
Most of Sydney's drinking water comes from rainwater stored in lakes surrounded by some of the most unspoilt, native bushland in the region - including world heritage national parks. Tap water in Sydney, Australia, is one of the safest in the world. Australian Drinking Water Guidelines monitor the filtering of water coming from natural resources in Australia.
All water regulators adhere to guidelines laid down by the National Health and Medical Research Council. In Sydney, Australia, water went through enormous tests to ensure the water is potable. In many aspects, Sydney tap water is perfect.
Some organic cafes in Sydney are:
- The Gardens Café: It is common for people to have misconceptions about getting food from an organic café. Some people feel that meals from organic cafes are not delicious even though it goes through a healthy preparation process. However, this café is there to clear all misconceptions. You will have nothing but an excellent review about the meals when you eat at this place. It also comes in handy that it has a clean environment. You can either dine in this café or get a takeaway. We are sure that you will love everything on their menu.
- Zouki Green Shop Organic Café: Due to the enjoyable foods served at this café, we tell foreigners that they should add it to their list of breakfast places in Sydney. You will get a warm and cozy feeling when you eat at this place. We are sure that you will have broad smiles when you eat at this place.
- Buddha Bowl Café: It is one of the top organic cafes in Sydney. It is compatible with regular eaters and vegans. The environment is also beautiful, and you will have no regrets about eating at this place. We cannot fail to mention that they have a rich menu, so you can decide from many varieties.
Visiting Australia allows you to see many breweries and distilleries. Thus, it is not surprising that they have many drink options in this region. However, we cannot say that they are many breweries in Sydney.
We are not saying that you will not see breweries, but they are not many. We have noticed that tourists love visiting breweries when they are in a new place. It stems from many reasons. It could be that they want to enjoy the drinks from the source. Thus, people usually ask us if they are breweries in the place they are visiting.
Asides from the fact that you get to enjoy different drinks, you can also meet up with people and have a swell time. Friendships are usually formed over drinks, and it can happen in a brewery. It is common for people to say they are going drink-tasting at a brewery.
Many breweries are usually open to the idea of drink-tasting as it gives them more popularity. Thus, it is best that you do not miss an opportunity to visit a brewery in Sydney.
It is easy to lose track of time when you are in a brewery due to the great conversations you might be having with others. It is usually an excellent place to explore.
Some of the breweries in Sydney are:
- Sauce Brewing Co
- The Grifter Brewing Co.
Some people say that the energy level in foreigners is something that you cannot find in others. This is understandable as being in a new place unlocks a certain level of freedom in you. You are eager to engage in different activities and do many things before heading back to your home city.
Thus, it is not surprising when people inquire about activities they can do when they are in a new place. Are you seeking more fun activities to do in Sydney? Why not engage in fishing and kayaking?
These are some top-notch activities that occur in this city. You will notice the different water bodies in the area when you visit, so it should not be surprising that these activities are feasible in Sydney.
When you visit any of these water bodies like the beach or a national park, you are sure to see people engaging in fishing or kayaking. It could be that you have never done any of these activities before. There is no need to be shy as people are always willing to teach others.
As you join them to engage in these activities, you will make new friends as you have fun. We encourage you not to hesitate to indicate interest in fishing and kayaking when you are in Sydney.
Yoga and Retreats
Suppose you are not a fan of engaging in water activities. Many people are this way. It could be a phobia for water or other reasons. However, this does not mean that there are no activities you can do when you are in Sydney.
Thus, allow us to introduce you to the concept of yoga. This is not to say that you cannot engage in water activities and also engage in yoga. It is an activity for everyone, and all its needs are your interest and willingness.
You are sure to see many yoga studios when you visit Sydney, and you do not need to wait for a special invitation before heading to them. When you visit these places, you can engage in yoga with people who have similar interests.
It could be that you have always heard about yoga and have an interest in it, but you do not know how to do it. The yoga studios in Sydney are there to lend a helping hand. At these places, you will meet yoga instructors who will carefully take you through the processes of yoga. In no time, you are sure to become an expert in this activity.
Engaging in yoga is a fun way to keep busy while in Sydney to not complain about boredom.
One can talk about many things when visiting a new place. However, you will not have an enjoyable stay if you do not make proper arrangements for accommodation.
For many people visiting a new place, it is their first time of being in the area. It is only a few percent who know their way around or have people to stay with. Thus, if you are not in any of those categories, it is proper that you start checking for available accommodation options once you conceive the thoughts of going somewhere.
It is not right to assume that your home city’s available accommodation options are the same you can see when you get to your destination. You will be disappointed when you realize that they are not the same and disrupt your plans.
Nothing beats comfort when on holiday, and having an accommodation of your choice adds to this comfort.
By checking for accommodation options before leaving your home city, you also get to know how to plan your accommodation budget. Imagine not knowing the prices for the available accommodation options and getting there with a lesser amount.
We will help to highlight some of the available accommodation options one can get when traveling to Sydney.
What are green hotels? Is this the first time you are hearing about them?
We notice that many people keep a confused face whenever we mention green hotels. It is sometimes a strange concept for them. However, this is an option when it concerns available accommodation types in Sydney.
Green hotels are eco-friendly hotels. By lodging in such hotels, you are sure that you are not destroying the city’s environment or ecosystem. In some other hotels, their facilities may have adverse effects on the environment. This does not happen when you stay in a green hotel.
Although we can say that green hotels are feasible options in Sydney, we cannot say that you will see many green hotels. If you check globally, green hotels have not become widespread in all areas.
Staying in a green hotel goes a long way to show that you are a responsible tourist as you are conscious of the activities you do. It shows that the city’s environment is an important factor, and you do not want to destroy it.
We cannot say the prices of the different green hotels in Sydney since they differ. It is left to you to pick one and check for its price.
However, it is best to have a high accommodation budget if you are going for a green hotel. After all, it differs from regular hotels.
Hostels and Guest Houses
This is another feasible accommodation option in Sydney. It comes in handy for those who are traveling in a group. Some people may not feel comfortable staying in a hostel or guesthouse as you have to share some of the facilities sometimes.
However, it is usually a cheaper accommodation option.
Some of the hostels in Sydney are:
- Elephant Backpacker: There is the option of getting a single room or staying in a dorm at this place. However, it is best not to expect anything fancy when lodging in this place. The rooms take on a simple look, but we are sure that you will be comfortable. It is in an area that is easily accessible to bars and entertainment centers. It comes in handy that the staff and management of this place are friendly and welcoming. If you have any difficulty, they are willing to be of help. You will enjoy staying in this place.
- Jolly Swagman Backpackers: This place’s neatness is one of its top features. It offers complimentary breakfast and free Wi-Fi to its lodgers. The colorful nature of this place adds to the vibrant and energetic energy you can get. It is one of the most comfortable hostels you can lodge in while you are in Sydney.
There is also the option of staying in an apartment when you are in a new place. It is an option that many tourists go for since they are already used to it.
However, research has shown that staying in an apartment is usually expensive in many places. After all, these apartments are serviced. Thus, you are sure to pay a higher amount.
When visiting Sydney, you are sure to see some apartments amongst the available accommodation options. However, we cannot say that people always rush for this option. But it depends on your choice and preference.
If you will love to stay in an apartment, there is no reason why you should not go for this option. You are sure to have a comfortable stay, and the services you will get are not below par.
Most of the accommodation in this city has high commendations, so we cannot pick any specific one for you. It is left for you to make a choice. We can assure you that you will not have issues with the apartments in Sydney. We have not seen anyone who had complaints about them.
Some people say that staying in an apartment is like being in a home away from home. You can make your opinions after your stay.
Another way of getting a place to stay when in a new place is through Couchsurfing. The best part is that you do not have to pay when you get accommodation through Couchsurfing. The idea here is that you get to stay with a local for free.
The people of Sydney are used to seeing many foreigners in their city. This makes them more open and friendly to tourists. Thus, they do not mind accommodating a foreigner in their homes.
Since there is a high inflow of foreigners to Sydney, one cannot say that the locals are not used to living with tourists. Through the Couchsurfing system, a local can indicate interest to house a foreigner.
There is a Couchsurfing website where locals register, and foreigners check to see available options. Staying with a local usually comes in handy for both parties. As a foreigner, you get free accommodation and have a chance to learn about the area’s cultures and traditions from a local.
The locals also get to learn about your culture. Thus, it is a win-win situation. Understandably, there would be a lot of compromises when you are staying with a local. Therefore, you should have a flexible nature if you desire to use the Couchsurfing system.
Since there are many activities for a person to do in Sydney, it will not be out of place to assume that one can indulge in camping while in the city. After all, it has a conducive environment, and areas that can help you connect with nature.
It should also not be surprising that camping is the reason why some people visit a new place. It could be that they have heard a lot about the city’s nature and environment, and they want to experience it.
Sydney has many facilities to aid camping. You can see campsites in the city. Thus, you are sure to have a pleasant experience while camping in the town.
In most of the campgrounds in Sydney, you have access to water bodies. This assures you that you can engage in different water activities. You cannot have a dull or boring moment when you go camping in Sydney.
Camping is usually fun when it is a mix of both locals and foreigners. The locals act as a guide, letting you know things that are acceptable to the environment. There would also be sharing of stories, and everyone is sure to leave the campground with fun memories.
We advise that you add camping to your list of things to do while in Sydney.
How to Get There
You might have the thoughts of visiting a new place. But your constraint is the fact that you do not know how to get there. It is essential to know that you do not always have to know how to get to a place before deciding to visit it.
What matters is that you research the transport means to get you there once you decide on the city you are visiting. It is usually not hard to obtain such information.
Unfortunately, many tourists do not like to research. Instead, they go with assumptions. Some people might decide that they want to use a bus to reach their destination. What if there is no road connection from your present location to your destination? This is one of the many factors you have to consider before settling on a transport means.
When you research, you get to know more about the place and see the feasible ways of getting there.
We will help highlight some ways of getting to Sydney for those traveling there. Our goal is to ensure that you do not encounter stress while going on holiday. We want you to be in a calm and happy mood when you get to the city.
Research shows that Sydney is the hub for foreigners in Australia. You are sure to see this city on many peoples traveling lists. Thus, it is only regular that one can use air in getting to Sydney.
Using air is the fastest means of transport, and we know that no one likes to delay before reaching their destination. People are always looking for the quickest way to get to a place, so using air becomes their preferred option.
The airport in Sydney is usually busy as it gets flights from almost all continents in the world. There are high chances that you can get a direct flight to this country from your present location. Getting a flight to Sydney is usually not difficult. Thus, we cannot help but include this option on the list of feasible ways of getting to Sydney.
You are sure to have a comfortable journey when you use air to travel. Some people may complain that there is no direct flight from their present location to Sydney. All you need to do is to check for places where you can get a direct flight. Typically, these places will not be far from your location.
There is also the option of using a bus to get to Sydney. Some people will say that using a bus is a popular means of traveling. However, this option depends on whether there is a road connection between Sydney and your present location.
It will be out of place to think that you can use a bus from a city on another continent to Sydney, especially when the area shares no border with Sydney. It is unimaginable for someone trying to get to Sydney from Africa to think of using a bus.
Using a bus is a viable option only when you are within Australia. We can say that it is possible to get a bus to Sydney from all Australian cities.
If you visit Australia and desire to see Sydney, you can get to the city by bus. It is usually not hard to get these buses. However, if you are coming in from another country or continent, it will be best to use another means of transport.
Suppose your best way of traveling is by using a bus as it lets you see most features of the city from a close angle. You can find your way to any Australian city, then get a bus that takes you to Sydney.
If you did not know, there is a railway in Sydney. Thus, it is not out of place when people think about using a train to get to the city. However, does the railway in Sydney have linking connections with your present location? If yes, there is nothing wrong with considering this option.
Allow us to tell you that one can only use a train to get to Sydney if they come in from any Australian city. Sydney does not have a railway connection with places outside Australia.
We sometimes find it funny that people in another continent will think of using a train to get into Sydney. Do you desire to spend months on the road? It is common knowledge that trains are the slowest means of transport. Thus, it should be unthinkable to use a train to Sydney if you come from a far distance. However, we understand that people have different preferences. Thus, if you desire to use a train to Sydney, you should first get to any Australian city. This is the only way you can get a train.
Most of the trains that go to Sydney are usually comfortable, so you are sure of having a smooth ride, and you will enjoy it.
You can also use hitchhiking as a way of getting to a new place or moving around in a new area. It comes in handy that this is a free means of moving around. It could be that you have never heard about hitchhiking. Thus, we know that you will be curious about this concept. Hitchhiking is a way of getting a free ride from a driver. You may think that it is impossible, but you will be surprised when a driver agrees to your terms.
All you need to do is stand on the major road leading to your destination and flag down a car. From there, you can dialogue with the driver.
In a place like Sydney, it comes in handy that English is the significant language. Thus, there will be no much communication barrier. Both parties can understand each other, and negotiations will be easier.
However, you can only hitchhike to Sydney if you are already within Australia. If you can remember, this city does not have a linking road connection with any place outside Australia. Thus, only those within Australia can get a free ride to Sydney.
We usually advise that you do not put all your hopes on hitchhiking as you may be disappointed sometimes.
With the many water bodies in Sydney, it will be out of place to think that one cannot use a ship in getting into the city. Thus, we can say that another means of getting into this area is by water.
Understandably, not many people are comfortable traveling through water. It is why this option does not always pop up as a top option one can use in getting to a new place. However, it will be wrong of us not to mention it since it is a feasible means in Sydney.
You can see ships at the harbors in this city, so you can use it as a way of getting in. However, using a boat works in almost the same way as a bus and train. You can only use a ship to Sydney if you are within Australia.
Some people see using water bodies as a form of exploration. It could be that you are in another Australian city and desire to get to Sydney. In this case, you can use a ship. We are sure that you will have a thrilling experience as it could be that you have never traveled by ship before.
It opens you to a new and open way of traveling. We are sure that you will not regret the experience.
Once you have arrived in a new place, you have the responsibility of knowing how to move around. Understandably, this may appear like a challenging feat. We always advise that foreigners are friendly with the locals as these locals are usually helpful guides.
When you are friends with the locals, they will help you explain how they move around. Some of them may even offer to be a personal tour guide to ensure that you do not encounter any difficulties.
However, you may sometimes have to figure out how to move around on your own. It could be that you do not want to stress the locals. In such a case, it is best to ask questions randomly. After all, a person who asks questions will not miss their way.
We will help to highlight some ways of moving around in Sydney. We have seen cases where some tourists assume that what works in their home city will also apply in their destination city. This is a wrong notion, and we appeal that you do not have such a mindset.
You should be open to asking questions and being flexible to go along with what works in the city. This way, you will not have any challenges.
A way of moving around in Sydney is by walking. Some people may think that this is a joke, but we are serious about it.
The first thing to note is that Sydney is not a big city. There might be a high inflow of persons to this area, but it is not a big city. Thus, it would be best if you do not have a fear when it comes to walking around.
As you move around, you will notice that most places are close to each other. Thus, you are sure not to cover long distances. Suppose you are going to a far distance; you will need to use another means of moving around.
Some people say that they do not feel stressed when it concerns walking around in Sydney. This is because the city has many beautiful sights, so you are sure to feed your eyes as you walk around.
Once you have things to keep your eyes busy, you will arrive at your destination in no time. Thus, it is best to always keep in mind that walking is a means of moving around in Sydney. We recommend this method when you are not hurrying or trying to meet up with an appointment. Causal walking is also good for your health.
It is a common sight to see people using two wheels to move around in Sydney. Thus, we can say that using a bicycle is a way of moving around in this city.
We would not expect a foreigner to travel with a bicycle as a part of their luggage, except when coming in from a neighboring city. However, there are many rental stores in Sydney where one can rent a bicycle.
It is not out of place to walk into these stores and request to rent a bicycle as they understand that it is a means of moving around. There is nothing much to say when using a bicycle than for the rider to be careful. Although we can say that it is safe to cycle around in Sydney, you also need to be conscious as you ride. Everyone needs to be safety conscious to avoid mishaps.
Some people say that they love the feeling they get as they cycle around in Sydney. The atmosphere makes it conducive to cycle, and you will have fun while doing it.
We sometimes see that people have cycling competitions in this city. You can also join them if you desire.
However, it is always best to keep in mind that using a bicycle is a way of moving around in Sydney.
There is also the option of using electronic vehicles to move around in some places. We do not know if this applies in your home city. When you think of using an electronic vehicle, we do not know what comes to your mind. For us, it is using a scooter.
We have seen that it is applicable in some places. Thus, we decided to research and see if one can use it to move around in Sydney. If possible, it will join the list of ways to can move around in this city.
After researching, we see that it is prohibited to use a scooter to move around in Sydney. This generally applies to the whole of New South Whales. We always say that people should not assume that what works in their home city will also be applicable when they arrive in a new place. Those who had hopes of using a scooter to move around in Sydney because it works in their home city will be disappointed.
There should be no need for disappointment as many other options come to play when it concerns moving around in Sydney. Because you cannot use a scooter does not mean you should not choose from other available options.
We have not seen a place where there is no public bus to move around the city. It may be called something else in their local language, but it always translates to a public bus. Sydney is not an exception when it concerns the option of using a public bus to move around.
There are many public transportation options in the city, and a public bus is one of them. It can get anywhere you desire in the town. It should not be surprising that people are usually rushing for this option as it is popular and cheaper.
However, that does not mean that there will be a scarcity of buses. There are usually enough buses to take people around in this city. After all, they are used to receiving a high inflow of foreigners. Thus, they ensure that they are well-equipped when it concerns their public transport.
People are sometimes confused when it concerns the mode of payment. It is always best to ask the locals questions about this as they have the best place answer. However, it is something that you will figure out with time.
Boarding a bus in Sydney is usually not challenging, especially as English is the primary language in this area. Thus, moving around is generally straightforward.
Tram, Train and Subway
There is also the train option as a part of the public transportation in Sydney. Understandably, it is not all cities globally that have trains as a means of moving around. Most places do not have a railway. However, since there is a railway in Sydney, it is only regular that there would be trains for movement.
You may want to complain that trains are slow. However, those who have never been on a train before are glad about the opportunity. They take it as an experience and do not mind the slowness.
The trains in Sydney are usually comfortable, so people do not mind boarding them. What matters is that they get to their destination safely.
We do not know the expectations you have in mind when you decide to board a train in Sydney. However, we are sure that you will have a lovely experience that will surpass your imaginations.
You can ask a local for a detailed explanation on how to board a train so that you can get on the correct one to your destination. However, there are also signs written in English to ensure that there are no issues or complications.
We have not seen anyone with complaints about using a train in Sydney. We are sure you will also love it.
As a foreigner, it is common to hear people say that you should engage in sustainable shopping. However, we have seen that many people are confused about sustainable shopping. Many foreigners have a confused look when people are talking about sustainable shopping.
There is no need to panic or fret when people mention this term. Sustainable shopping is a way of buying things from the local vendors in the area. When you patronize them, you are sure of getting the best local souvenirs to take back to your home city.
It may seem like it is impossible at first, but you will find it easy to patronize these local vendors when you make a conscious effort. We will also help you highlight ways of engaging in sustainable shopping.
When you engage in sustainable shopping, you are a responsible tourist. This is because you are helping to boost the economy of the city.
The locals will have high regard for you when you engage in sustainable shopping. You will notice that they will become more friendly. These local vendors are also sure to make inputs that help you make the best choices when shopping. There should be no reason you would not engage in sustainable shopping when you are in a new area, especially in Sydney.
Some of the food markets in Sydney are:
- Marrickville Organic Food Market: As the name implies, you are sure to get healthy food items since it is an organic market. There is nothing you desire as it concerns food items that you cannot find at this market. Visiting this market gives you a local experience of Sydney, and we are sure that you will love it.
- Paddy's Night Food Markets: It is a night market that opens on the first Saturday of every month. If you are in Sydney when it opens, ensure to visit it.
Some of the flea markets in Sydney are:
- Surry Hills Market: It is one of the best places where you can get a local souvenir to take back to your home city. It could be artworks or hand-crafted items. Many of the stores at this market sell similar things, so you can decide, probably based on the cheapest. There is always something desirable in this market.
- Bankstown Market: Sundays classify as the best day to shop at this market. You will see an array of items, and it comes in handy that you can negotiate the prices.
Second Hand Stores
Some of the second-hand stores in Sydney are:
- C's Flashback Secondhand Clothing: It is a store that sells used clothing. These clothes are usually still in a perfect state. If you want some of the locals and cultural clothing, it is an ideal place to shop. Both men and women can get clothes here.
- Sydney Used Furniture: As the name implies, they deal in second-hand furniture. If you are trying to set up your home at a local cost, this is the best place to shop.
We have seen fashion transcend over the years. Thus, we are not surprised at the concept of eco-fashion. We can also call it sustainable clothes. These are clothes made from recyclable materials.
It is a popular concept in Sydney, and buying such clothes promotes sustainable shopping. We do not know if it is viable in your home city. However, we hope that this becomes widespread soon globally.
Eco-fashion clothes are usually fashionable, and we see some models use them on the runway.
It will interest you to know that there is a recycling team and organization in Sydney. These people go to houses to get recyclable items, but they do it for a price.
For as low as $2, you can have the recycle team picking up the items.
As a foreigner, you should key into the initiative and join them in promoting recycling while in Sydney.
For Sydney to attain its status as the most beautiful city in Australia, you can be sure that they do not joke with waste management.
There is an efficient waste management system in the city, ensuring that everywhere stays clean and beautiful. As a foreigner, it is best not to litter while you are in this city.
Littering could lead to a fine or other punishable measure. We do not want you to have any issues while in this city. Engaging in appropriate waste management processes also makes you a responsible tourist.
Work and Study Abroad
Studying in Australia is usually a beautiful experience, and Sydney is not an exception.
Students usually have some concerns about working while studying. However, it comes as good news that you can work while studying in this city.
Students can work up to 40 hours per week while studying in Sydney. This is to ensure that you strike a balance between work and education. They do not want a case where you are staggering or lagging in your studies because of work.
It could be that you are already a student of a higher institution, but you wish to study in Sydney. You can do this through the student exchange program.
If your school offers exchange programs with institutions in Sydney, you can apply through your schools. However, there is also the option of students applying directly through the Australian government.
Thus, you do not have an excuse not to apply and become an international exchange student in this city.
If you are applying to be an au pair in Sydney, it means that you are looking for a job. In such a case, you are ready to take care of children or do light housework as these are the available au air work options.
It comes in handy that English is the primary language in Sydney. Thus, there will be no communication barrier between you and your host.
To check for available hosts and jobs, go on the au pair website and input your location.
You can decide to be a volunteer when you are in Sydney. In this case, research for the available volunteering option.
It is best to pick a volunteering option based on your interest and not because of peer pressure. It is the only way you can be efficient at what you do.