Eco-friendly travel guide to Tenerife advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 2 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 2.5 / 5
- Parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$70 - $300
- Budget per day: US$100 - $450
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Tenerife is a major island located in the Canary Islands, Spain. It is the largest island, which is an autonomous community in Spain. The city is one of Europe's most popular tourist cities. As a tourist, there are several duties and responsibilities that you need to fulfill to travel responsibly.
You will not be able to get the best experience out of your travel in the peak season. I prefer visiting the city during the low season as over-tourism is a significant problem in the city of Tenerife. The fall, winter, and early spring seasons are ideal for visiting the city as tourism is less, and you will enjoy it. Doing so will help you maintain your budget and support these local businesses to grow. While exploring the local culture and food in Tenerife, I prefer local businesses over big business chains as they serve better quality dishes that are sourced locally. These local businesses offer the same services as the big business chains at a lower rate and better quality.
I always prefer staying at green hotels, hostels, and guesthouses as they use eco-friendly measures to minimize their impact on the environment and are also quite affordable. With high tourism rates, the demand for accommodation is relatively high, which has resulted in many unregistered accommodation properties. To avoid such places, always see to it if the property is registered for tourism or not.
Air Quality and Pollution
The city of Tenerife is the most significant contributor to the alarming figures of air pollution. The country in Spain is marked as one of the worst ozone polluters in the world. Spain's major cities like Madrid, Seville, Valencia, and Barcelona are the worst offenders that exceed the government's guidelines and limits of air pollution. The pollution level is moderate that the city became a host of a jellyfish plague in 2005, resulting in the closing of many beaches in the city of Tenerife. The city has witnessed a rapid increase in heart problems, cancer, asthma, allergies, and many other cardiovascular complications in the locals.
The city of Tenerife municipality and the Catalonia government has taken specific measures to solve the pollution issue. From the World Health Organization regarding air pollution in the city of Tenerife. You might want to take some safety precautions and some medicines with you when visiting the city. It will help you ensure your health's safety and have a good time in the city.
Respect the Culture
The city has a rich history and cultural heritage that attracts a large number of tourists. While visiting the city and exploring it, you need to be respectful towards the local people, environment, and sites to be responsible tourists. The city of Tenerife is a hub of many political, financial, educational, and cultural activities in Spain. By doing this, you will be able to get a good Tenerife experience. Without witnessing the culture, you will not be able to get the best experience of your tour. You will get to meet new people, traditions, lifestyles, culture, and many other things. Apart from the landmarks and beautiful places, this city's unique culture is another thing that pulls the tourists here. So, you will be able to see many different traditions here of all the different cultures.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Mount Teide: It is basically an active, tall type of volcano with a cable car in. It is situated in Santa Cruz De Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain. The mountain type is the Stratovolcano basalt atop shield volcano. The elevation of this volcano is 3718 meters. In Spain, the volcano is the highest peak point above the sea level in islands. The first ascent of the volcano takes place in the year 1582. The last eruption of the volcano takes place on 18 November 1909.
- Saim Park: It is basically a water park in the city of Tenerife, Costa Adeje, Spain. It is a coastal Suburb in the city of Tenerife, which is in the Canary Islands. The park was opened on September 15, 2008. The owner of the park is Maha Chakri Siridhorn, Princess of Thailand. The park is basically designed according to the country's local culture that is of the Siamese theme. The park claims to the spectacular in Europe. This park is becoming one of the famous tourist places in Spain.
- Teide National Park: A volcano and national park which has beautiful views. It is basically the famous and the biggest national park in the country. It is situated in Santa Cruz De Tenerife, Spain. This park also has a cable car facility for the local people as well as the tourist. This park was established in the year 1954. The area covered by the park is 189.9 kilometers square. It is a famous place in the country, 4 million people or tourists visit here every year.
- Loro park: It is basically a zoo in the city of Tenerife, Puerto de la Cruz, Spain. This park is constructed on 13 hectares. The park was opened on 17 December 1972. The park is famous for many animals such as a pole, keto, Alladin, Rafiki, Skyla, noel, Kohana, etc. It is mostly famous for penguins, leones, Kassandra treetops, etc. The park consists of numerous species of various animals, birds, etc. If you are an animal lover, we strongly recommend you to visit this place.
- Pyala De Las Teresitas: Basically a Man-made beach consisting of yellow and white sand all over. It is a famous beach in Spain for visiting. The beach is basically located north of the village in San Andres, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife, Spain. The width of the beach is 80 meters.
- Playa De Las Americas: It is the Slam Park, Water Park, and humanmade beaches. This beach is basically situated in the city of Tenerife, Spain. This beach is known for its natural as well as human-made beaches. One can see dolphins and whales on the beach. This beach is nowadays becoming a tourist attraction. We recommend you to visit this place once while traveling in.
- Lago Martianez: An artificial swimming pool with a seawater lake in it. It is basically located in the city of Tenerife, Puerto De La Cruz. The swimming pool is basically constructed in one lakh square meters, which is centered by the lake. Lago Martianez is surrounded by numerous gardens, pubs, bars, restaurants, islands, etc. Numerous trees of coconut are everywhere.
- Pyramids of Guimar: It is basically a pyramid museum which is situated in the city of Tenerife, Spain. The museum is shaped in six rectangular type pyramid shapes. These structures were built from stones made up of lava. It was constructed in the 19th century.
- Playa De La Arena: It is basically a resort in the town situated on the western coast of Tenerife, Spain. The Giant cliffs resort, and Los Gigante's resorts are very close to the Playa De La Arena. This beach is basically made up of black sand, volcanic, and natural sand all over. It is the cleanest beach on the whole Island.
- Jungle Zoological and Botanical Park: They are basically a zoo comprises of various animals and various shows in it. It is basically located in Arona, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain. The park consists of more than 500 animals. 7.5 hectors of land area covered by the park. This park consists of several walking paths or tracks. The most famous animals that you might see are Gail, Yeti, Neil, etc.
The city of Tenerife can easily attract people from various parts of the globe. If you see the city parks and museums, then you will never feel like returning. Many historical and culturally significant places in the city of Tenerife are worth exploring. These places will give you valuable insights into the local culture, history, livelihood, and traditions of the Spanish communities in the city of Tenerife.
The city is big, and it has a big collection of parks and other such places. It has big open spaces and greeneries where you can spend time with your children and other family members. The views are one thing you cannot take away from parks.
Here are some famous city parks in the city:
- Parque Garcia Sanabria: Originally a model home was going to be built. It was abandoned and later donated to Tenerife's local council that transformed it into a public park because of no investment. It is quite popular amongst locals and tourists as a peaceful park devoid of smoke and city noise.
- Parque Taoro: It is located in the heart of the city and is often considered Tenerife’s central park. It has been a place for recreational and group activities since. It houses the famous Parque Taoro Zoo. It is located is free to access to all. It is open for the public from 10 a.m. every morning to 10:30 p.m.
- Parque Cultural Dona Chana: It is a great place to get away from the city's hustle-bustle and enjoy some peaceful time in the lap of nature. These gardens cover about 4 hectares of land and feature diverse biodiversity of plants and small animals such as frogs, turtles, birds, bats, and insects.
The country has always been famous for its beautiful and graceful natural resources. This city has a wonderful collection of national parks as well as a zoo. We are listing down a few of them that may not exactly be located in and around the city but are not very far away from the city.
- Corona Forestal Natural Park: For people who are addicted to botany, it is a must-visit place. Here you will find a wide variety of botanical gardens and want to know more about them. Never miss this opportunity of visiting here because it might not come again and again.
- Natural Park Of Teno: A historical park which has the best statues and sculptures of the ancient historians. You will see that this place is spread all over the internet and also has special popularity.
The city is basically a city of Islands. It has numerous islands and beaches around it. The city is famous for its stunning beaches, and therefore it attracts thousands of tourists from across the world.
Here are some famous beaches:
- Los Cristianos
- Puerto De La Cruz
- Cisra Adeje
The city of Tenerife also has its share of memorable landmarks and monuments. You must try and visit as many as you possibly can. While the list is quite long, we are mentioning a few of them for our readers' benefit.
- Cueva Del Viento
- Auditorio De Tenerife Adan
Visiting museums would be the icing on your holiday package, especially if you are in this city, as it shows that you have adequately explored the city.
Here are some of these museums given are as follows:
- Museum Of Nature: It is one of the best contemporary art museums in the city and showcases exquisite modern art pieces. It was built in 1995 by an American architect. The museum is located on Main Street and is a must-visit place on your trip to Tenerife. It is accessible for everyone from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. with a small entry fee of 15 Euro per head.
- Museo De Malvasia: It is built as a testimony as the city was an essential part of the artist's life. The museum showcases some of the rare and early works that depict his relationship with the city. The region is open to the general public from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. with an entry fee starting from 10 Euro.
- Museo Historico Militar Decanarias : The museum showcases the local well-preserved Roman sites, including the temple, considered the ideal place where the city's ancient history is depicted in complex layers. The museum covers about 4,000 square meters that are accessible through elevated walkways.
These foods are also just as good as any other restaurant and very close to the traditional local foods. The tour of the city is not complete without having some good food in the city. You need to taste some of the city's best and local foods to understand the culture and tradition very closely. Make sure to buy the foods from local street foods. As a traveler, you will be helping them and supporting them to keep up giving the taste of their culture to the tourist. As the city has a mixed culture, you will get different local foods, such as local Spanish food, Indian food, and Chinese food. The prices of most foods are low compared to many other cities in different countries. You will get many street food shops on your way to different places, as many families are completely dependent on tourism.
Traditional Local Restaurants
These restaurants are some of those restaurants in Tenerife that continue to serve traditional Spanish food made in traditional ways. They are must-visit places to get a good experience. Here are some famous local restaurants which serve their authentic traditional foods are given below:
- Embassy: A popular restaurant amongst the locals, it serves simple home-cooked Spanish dishes at low and affordable prices. It is located on the city's main street, and more locals can be found here than tourists as it does not have any website. It is an ideal place to indulge in local Tenerife food that is pocket friendly.
- Meson Los Gemelos: The restaurant serves some traditional Spanish dishes. Because of the location, not many tourists can be found, but it is quite renowned amongst the locals. The menu includes seafood dishes, Jamon Iberico, meat stews, and other Catalan cuisines at their finest.
- La Parada Casa De Comidas: The restaurant serves dishes of Catalan tradition while keeping up with modern tastes. You will find both rustic dishes and contemporary dishes. The restaurant is quite more on the expensive side.
- El Pincho: It is one of those restaurants that serve authentic Spanish cuisines on an affordable menu during the week. It is located in the El Born neighborhood and is quite popular amongst tourists. The restaurant’s menu features Spanish dishes such as braised pork cheeks, crema Catalana, and roast chicken.
Vegetarian and Vegan
Sometimes the habits of two people are different. Thus, everyone does not have the same eating habit or love the same pattern when it concerns food choices.
If you are a vegetarian, you do not need to worry when you are in this city as there are many restaurants to attend to your needs. With these places, you will get to enjoy traditional meals properly with your regular choices.
Some of these vegan restaurants are:
- Tierra Café: Tierra Cafe is one of the most popular vegetarian restaurants in Tenerife, famous for the vegan carrot cake. The restaurant serves vegetarian and vegan dishes for the diet and health-conscious people. The ingredients are grown in the restaurant’s local urban eco-garden.
- Green Food Canarias: It is a small vegan café that serves plant-based vegan dishes. The menu of the café changes according to the season and serves some of the most irresistible vegan cakes. It also offers a Sicilian bio wine and local craft beer to the customers.
- Somos Lo Que Comemos: It is a popular vegetarian restaurant that serves dishes made with local ingredients such as mushrooms, cabbage, almonds, etc. It is quite popular amongst diet and health-conscious people, and the pricing is quite reasonable.
The city of Tenerife’s street vendors serves many unique and delicious foods that are part of Spain's cultural heritage. These food items are must-eat ones to get proper exposure to the city's culture. One of the best things about the city is the street foods that give the best tradition and culture. You will be able to get some of the best street foods in every corner of this city. There are some of the street foods available that are very popular all around the world. You will be amazed to see the street food options, and it will surely wake up the real foodie in you.
- El Cine
- Tasca La Oficina
- The Kiosko
All different types of drinks are available in the city of Tenerife. You will be able to get various beverages, various wines, and many other local drinks that will help you know the locals well. If you find a bar or pub in the city, you will not have to look much as it is plenty. Both local people and foreigners visit bars, pubs, and cafes to get the best experience of having different drinks. Apart from beers and wines, you will also be able to get many options for non-alcoholic drinks. Make sure to drink them from the local shops to get some traditional local drinks as well.
Drinking water is also available in plastic bottles and is considered to taste better than tap water but is very harmful to the local environment and costly. The city of Tenerife tap water meets all international standards, even E.U. and WHO, and is considered unsafe to drink. The river Llobregat’s water is often considered a bit on the salty side because it passes through a very salty region on Tenerife’s northwest side. Tenerife's local water company governs tap water supply in the city.
But you have to use them if you are worried about your health. In places where you cannot get the bottled water, make sure to boil the tap water from the nearest places or carry one boiled tap water bottle with you as it is safe to drink once boiled. The primary sources of tap water in the city are the Ter and Llobregat rivers, which are very high in magnesium and potassium. The city also has a desalinization plant set up to reduce the level of salts in the water but can only meet the city's demand.
These places serve vegetarian and vegan dishes with 100% organic ingredients that are quite mouth-watering and pocket friendly. The city of Tenerife offers many fine dining options and a fantastic tapas scene that serve a wide variety of Spanish and international delicacies. For those who prefer healthier foods and are more on the conscious side, organic cafes and restaurants are ideal places to detox your body.
Some popular organic cafes in the city are:
- Lily’s English Tea Terrace
- Eco Eco Brunch & Café
- Buena Vida 100% Vegan
The city offers a few breweries collections, and it is one of the last places that a beer lover wants to visit. Without having proper breweries, you will not be able to explore the city and its culture. Many craft breweries produce this particular beer, and they also have shops in the city where these beers are sold. These brewery shops are trendy amongst the locals for an after-work drink. These local breweries traditionally make the craft beers with creative choices that often include lager, stout, wheat, pilsner, ALE, and even IPA. It is tough to get the license to brew in the city, and there are only two and a half brewers available in the city. As the city has a high alcohol tax, you will not find many shops on the road. However, there are some places that you can visit to get international craft beer options. Visit these places to get the best experience of having breweries in the city of Tenerife.
- Cerveza Aguita
- Company Cervecera De Canarias
- Princess Di’s Bar
The city of Tenerife is popular for having famous landmarks; there are many places in the city where you can perform different activities. From outdoor games to indoor games, everything is available in these fun parks. As there are many forests and parks available, the thrilling experience of exploring deep forests and witnessing wild animals is also there. As the people of this city like to stay healthy and fit, you will see many gyms and yogas. Apart from that, the city offers different places like lakes, gardens, and famous parks that will help you to get close to nature. If you are more into sports, then there are many parks in the city, where you can visit to have some of the best sports experience. Historic and world-famous places are there in the city that you can visit and perform activities. You can also go for bike rides, hike mountains, go fishing, and perform many other outdoor activities in the city.
Yoga and Retreats
These places offer their customers inner harmony and well-being. There are many yoga and recreational centers in the city, but only a few have an experienced and proper yoga teacher. Many tourists like to take care of their health on their tour and join local yoga centers to care for it. Taking a break from the hectic journey and relaxing at their yoga retreats help very much to get your energy back. From online to offline yogas, the city offers you various options to get in good shape here. With the increasing popularity of well-being with yoga, many yoga centers have opened up in the city of Tenerife.
- Fitness Tenerife
- Centro De Yoga Omkar
- Sasha Yoga
- Narayani Yoga Santa Cruz
Staying and spending days in a city depends a lot on the hotels and motels of the place. The city center is the most crowded spot in the city where you will get to see many shops, different local foods, and other tourists. No matter what type of accommodation you are searching for, you will find most of the types here. You will also get some hotels in the city that offer the best view of the city. These places help the tourists to have a comfortable and convenient stay in the city of Tenerife. There are many green hotels, camping sites, and couch-surfing hosts that offer accommodation at much cheaper rates and are ideal for those with a tight budget. Staying in a hotel that provides different services helps you get the best time in the city and have a great experience. You will find many accommodation options in the city from different places, but it's best to book a hotel that is close to the city center. As an eco-friendly traveler, you will also get the option of green hotels to make your stay healthy and well. It will help you to reach different attractive spots easily. You can opt for booking a hotel room or set a deal with a couch-surfing host before visiting the city of Tenerife to make your trip even more convenient. Although couch-surfing is a recent accommodation concept, it is gaining a lot of popularity in the city of Tenerife.
Many foreigners fail to realize that they have a role to play in protecting the environment, and it does not matter if it is your place of origin or not. If you are an environmental enthusiast, we know that you would search for green hotels in the city of Tenerife as they help in ensuring that you have an eco-friendly stay in the city. You should play a role in any place you find yourself.
Here are some of the green hotels in the city given below:
- Hd Parque Cristobal Tenerife: The hotel uses a water recycling system to reduce its impact on the local environment. The water recycling system helps lower the water consumption by 50%, and the water is re-used in the hotel's toilets.
- Gran Oasis Resort: It is another eco-friendly hotel that offers different affordable accommodation options according to their guests' budget. It follows specific measures to reduce their impact on the environment, such as solar panels and LED lighting.
- Vincici Seleccion La Plantacion Del Sur: It has also awarded a Class A building certificate for using a thermal insulation system and a smart climate-control system with efficient lighting and machinery. Member of the Tenerife Sustainable Tourism Association, the hotel promotes sustainable tourism in the city.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Before stepping into the city, you need to know the best places in this city to stay in. You will get plenty of options for hotels in the city, from low to high, three-star to five-star with different offerings. Both online and offline bookings are available in most of these hotels. Here are some of the best ones that you can choose to enjoy your stay.
- Alberguesan Jose De Llanos: Ideal place for couples or groups, it offers shared dorms, suites, and even private rooms. It also gives free access to Wi-Fi, washing machines, and computers to its guests. It is located in the city's central part and provides a terrace pool with a sun deck where you can lounge with your partner or friends.
- Adventure House Tenerife: It is a guesthouse that offers the guests their pod bed that has a USB socket, reading lamp, plug for electronic devices, and secure storage under the bed. It has its restaurant on the ground floor that offers an excellent environment for its guests to socialize and share their experiences.
- Aloe Vera Shared House: Ideal for solo travelers is located in the main area and offers a home-cooked meal to its guests. It also provides a communal living area where the guests can eat home-cooked meals and share their experiences. It organizes various activities everyday and proper security to the guests.
Apartments are usually cheaper when rented with a group of friends. A new concept called aparthotel has started gaining popularity in the city of Tenerife. Hotels are often the number one choice for tourists as they are usually cheaper and convenient, but tourists visiting the city for a longer time should always prefer renting out an apartment. There are many affordable apartment options for tourists. It is a small apartment within a hotel ideal for families and groups. These apartments have an en-suite kitchen with the required appliances and utensils. A lot of these places are located near the prime locations and are the best ones to rent. Before renting out an apartment, inspect the site properly and get reviews from the other residents.
Travelers like to find Couch surfing in different cities, which helps them stay in the city for a long time and save a lot of money. It is easier to discover the hosts before going to the city. It will help you to save time. Couch surfing is a community of travelers from different places worldwide who offers other travelers to stay in their home and roam the city. You will be able to enjoy the city and its culture like the local people. Many people are offering Couch surfing in the city of Tenerife that you can take the help of. To find the hosts in the city of Tenerife, you can take the help of different services.
There is an online community known as couchsurfing.com, and if you are a part of it, you will be able to come across dozens of Couch Surfing mates and companions. The perk of Couch surfing is that it is free. As a foreigner, you do not need to pay your host. However, it is your responsibility to be respectful and abide by the laws of the city. It is a new concept but has taken off quite well in the city.
Many tourists like to do adrenaline rushing adventures in different places they visit. Well, the city of Tenerife is not only filled with landmarks, parks, and museums; many different suitable spaces give the best camping experience. It is one of the best accommodations that you can choose in the city of Tenerife to stay near nature and save a lot of money. You will be able to get the raw adventure in the heart of nature by camping in these places. Here are some perfect places for you to camp in the city.
- Agro Camping Invernaderito
- Camping Punta Del Hidalgo
- Camping Montana Roja-El Medano
- Zona De Acampada
How to Get There
One of the most important things that you need to know before planning on your tour is the best option to reach the destination quickly and at a reasonable price. You need to know every single detail of different transport options that can help you on your journey. You will get different options like cars, airways, trains, and many others.
Although most people from different countries choose the airways as the best option for reaching the city of Tenerife and saving a lot of time in the process, you can book the tickets using online services of different transformation systems to reach the city without any complications smoothly. Here are some transportation options and details about them given below to know which is best for you.
As mentioned earlier, the airway is the best option to reach the city of Tenerife from different countries. The city has its own airport named Tenerife International airport serving three terminals: Tenerife south airport, Tenerife north airport, and Tehepnoe airport. This airport is very well connected to all the different cities. You will be able to catch a flight from different places to reach the city.
Compared to all the other transportation options, the air is the most convenient way to save a lot of time and helps you travel comfortably. Make sure to book a ticket early from the departing date as the bookings might get full if you are late.
The bus is always a perfect option to travel to different cities and also it comes with a cheap fare that helps to save a lot of money. If you travel from the other cities in Spain, you will get many options to reach the city as it is very well connected with other cities. Expressways are very well connected to all the other cities in Spain. Make sure to book the bus tickets online before your tour date to confirm your seat on the bus.
However, the bus journey from different countries might be too hectic for the travelers as they have to change many buses on their way to the city. It is best to avoid the option of a bus if you are traveling from different countries.
Although the flight is the most chosen option to travel to the city of Tenerife, you can also travel to the city by train. It will cost you more time than by air, but the experience of going on a tour by train is very different. You will be able to see all the beautiful sceneries from the windows and along with great comfort. The city of Tenerife is very well connected with different countries by railway.
You will be able to get the train from this city from the neighboring countries very easily. International trains are very widely available in this city but book the tickets online to not end up on the waiting list. As the train tickets tend to get booked very fast, you need to be very early to book a seat for yourself successfully. If you are traveling from different cities in Spain, then you will be able to get the trains to the city of Tenerife very easily at a reasonable price.
If you want to get to the city by hitchhiking, you will get many different options like the big toll gate in the south of the city. This is known to be one of the best hitchhiking places for travelers. But the place is not too easy to reach for people, so many people avoid it. If you are successful in reaching the tall gate and go through the hole in the fence following the little footpath, then you will be able to get behind the tall gate, where you can start to hitch. The total time that you will need to reach this place is around 45 minutes from the station on walking. It is one of the best hitchhiking among all the other ones to help you get to the city. They might have to take a lot of walking to reach their starting from crossing the rail tracks to covering the bridge, which is a very long walk. Hitchhiking is very much in vogue in the city, but you have to be careful when choosing the right person.
Most drivers are naturally wary of picking up strangers, fearing carrying robbers and carjackers. While there are exceptional cases of drivers who would be okay with offering one a lift, most of them would not, especially when driving at night.
Other than these standard modes of transportation, different ways include boats, cruise ships, taxis, and rented cars. Even if you are not on a tight budget, you should avoid these modes of transportations as they result in a lot of wastage of natural resources. These transportations are often overcharged and do not provide much exposure to the local culture. These are not the most convenient mode, as they are not affordable and harmful to the environment.
There are many other transport options available to you if you are traveling from the cities in Spain or other countries. You can always reach the city by the road having 4 wheels or two wheels. It will take you a lot of time, but you will need a lot of time compared to other options to reach your destination.
The most common way to explore is by renting a bicycle. Bicycles in Spain are called steel donkeys and are very popular amongst tourists. The local Spanish people are amicable, and you will be able to explore and learn about the local culture on a first-hand basis.
You may face the language barrier as Spanish is the most prominent language, but you can always overcome that by using translating applications, sign languages, or learning some Spanish words. Moving around in the city of Tenerife is relatively easy as there is a wide variety of transportation services to help you explore even the city's most remote areas.
Walking might be the best option to witness the local culture and people of this city. Walking is the best way of exploring a city as it costs nothing. You will be able to access even the most remote areas of the city where vehicles cannot reach or don't have a proper road. You can ask them for directions, and they will help you out without a second thought. You do not have to be stuck in traffic or wait for the signal to go to your destination. Make sure to carry some essentials like food and water while planning to tour the city on foot. You will find that walking is a common way of travel even by the locals as it is a healthy activity that helps in keeping in shape. While walking, you will be able to learn about the local culture by observing the local people. The local people are amicable and love to help out tourists.
The Spanish people call bicycles Steel Donkeys and are a popular mode of transport. The lanes and roads are very well maintained by the city officials, helping the riders ride safely and comfortably in the city. If you want to take care of your health and prevent pollution on your tour, then a bicycle is the best travel option. There are many rental services online and offline that will give you a bicycle on rent for limited days. You might face some problems because of the popularity while renting them out as they often get out-of-stock. You might need to book them in advance to avoid any trouble. These bicycles are a great way to explore the narrow streets and pathways of the city. As compared to walking, bikes are a faster and less exhausting way of travel and can also help you keep in shape.
When it comes to going around the city's lanes to reach someplace in the crowded area, the vehicles might not be the best option as you will need to wait in the traffic and signals. Most of the tourists choose electronic vehicles to get a tour of the city. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this travel medium, just like other ones. It is one of the comfortable modes of transportation that helps you to sit back and relax. You can book or rent these cars both online and offline in the city. From taxi to self-driving cars, you will be able to get many electronic vehicles in your way. So make sure to have some patience to wait a long time in the traffic. When it comes to availability, you will get many vehicles around the city to hire or rent. They are expensive compared to the other transportation mode, but they also help you reach your destination faster. It is the best option if you are visiting someplace far within the city using high roads.
Most of these buses run near the city's popular sites to help travelers move from one place to another. If you want to save money while traveling to different places in the city, then a bus is the best option for you as a mode of travel. Buses are very frequent in this city, and you will get ones easily from the bus stands. The best thing about this transportation mode is that it helps you get to the destination very fast in a cheap fare that saves time and money.
You will be able to find many buses in the city, and all of them help give a very nice and comfortable riding experience. You can also catch the city bus, which is known to be a free bus service in the city. The best way to recognize these buses is by looking for buses that are different in color. Most of the Go bus comes in different colors, and it is very much available in the districts.
Tram, Train and Subway
You can buy the ticket from the stations or online to travel on these trains. However, if you plan for a long visit, you can also buy the weekly passes or Touch and Go card to travel at a lower price. People use these transports for a faster way of moving around the city. You will find that trains and subways help you reach destinations inside and outside the city as they have a more comprehensive range than trams. You will be able to avoid the crowd, signals, traffic, and other complications on your way to the destination and get a very comfortable journey experience on these trains. On the other side, trams work only in some particular areas inside the city and are a great way of experiencing the local culture.
You will be able to get some branded eco-friendly stores too in the city of Tenerife. A tour of a place is never complete without having good shopping. It helps to give you the best experience and witness the culture up close. You will be able to get many different local shops that sell traditional items. There are many shops and markets in this city that will help you to get recycled items at a reasonable price. Eco-friendly sustainable stores that promote zero-waste are increasing rapidly in the city, and many locals are tying hearse products. Here are the details about these stores that will help you to get from bamboo to recycled furniture. Make sure to buy from the local shops to support them and help them make a living. As an eco-friendly traveler, try eco-friendly shops such as recycled or send hand items.
Roaming the food markets is always good, as you will be able to get close to the locals and learn about different cooking and eating ingredients. Some of the food markets also have some food stalls filled with delicious local foods. Tenerife's food markets are popular amongst the locals and the tourists as they are packed with fresh and high quality produce. These places provide visitors with an authentic taste of Spanish food while promoting local businesses. Here are some of the popular food markets in the city of Tenerife:
- Mercado Municipal De La Laguna
- Mercado La Pepa
- Agromercado Adeja
- Mercado Del Agriculture De Tegueste
Some of these markets operate daily, whereas some markets operate on special days or fixed days of the week. Shopping with a twist is always very good for the tourists, and they often look for flea markets wherever they go. If you are one of them, then you do not have to worry much as you will get many flea markets in the city of Tenerife. Some of the best flora markets that can help you get some of the best crafts, antiques, and hidden gems are given below.
- Rastro/Mercadillo De Guaza Arora
- Mercadillo Fanabe
- Market El Medano
- El Rastro
- Atlantic Markets
Second Hand Stores
These stores sell a wide variety of items such as clothes, furniture, books, and other reusable items. Using second-hand products is a great way to decrease wastes and help the city become eco-friendly. While many travelers always buy second-hand clothes, ornaments, and other essentials, local people have started to adapt to these things. These stores sell used items at a lower rate and are popular amongst inferior income group peoples as they cannot afford them at their retail price.
Here are some of the famous second-hand stores given below:
- Second-Hand Tenerife
- Second-Hand Shop-Sion
- Bargain Basement
- Recycle And Company Puerto
These shops promote zero waste and recycling that helps to keep the environment safe. If you want to try some eco-friendly fashions that will help you stay healthy in the city and make the city safe, you can try many options available in the city. Many eco-friendly fashion stores in the city of Tenerife offers a wide range of sustainable and organic fashion collections. With the widespread need for eco-friendly practices, eco-fashion or sustainable fashion has started to gain huge popularity because they are environment-friendly and pocket-friendly.
You will find many shops around the city that have a huge collection of recycled products like bags, clothes, blankets, bedsheets, and others. Recycling is a great way to make the environment clean from pollution and wastes. Many wastes are polluting the sea and making it hard for sea creatures to survive. But people still need to be concerned about this situation and adapt to recycling products. The city of Tenerife is one of the cities that have many different recycling shops and markets with eco-friendly products. Also, these wastes are slowly polluting the whole earth. So, many countries and different cities have started to take care of the environment by recycling things.
As an eco-friendly traveler, you will get green hotels, green shops, to organic restaurants here that will help you to keep the waste minimum. According to the different reports, the waste accretion of Tenerife city is 1.2 percent tons per year. As the pollution index is inferior in this city, improving the environment is very important. The solid waste output of this city is around 0.85 kg per day. But the city is trying to lower the waste produced by different things. They are trying to promote recycling products, and there are many shops in the city that offer mind condition recycled essentials. In the past free years, the locals are also trying to cope with the changes and adopt recycled products. Most travelers like to buy those recycled products to keep the waste low.
Work and Study Abroad
There are many available jobs in the city that these students can take and earn a good amount of money. The city of Tenerife is very well known around the world in different countries. Apart from that, these students also have a permit to work in the city while studying to earn pocket money and fess. The city is quite developed from different sectors, which include work and study too. When it comes to international students, you will find plenty of them here as the education system in Tenerife city offers higher education at an affordable price.
The number of international students is very high in the city as some of the best universities and colleges here. These universities and colleges offer good courses to students, and they have different offers for international students that attract students from all over the world. Taking the help of online job finders also helps very much to find the best available jobs easily.
Many other countries do not have this opportunity and study options like this one. But some students take part in other faraway countries. Exchange student study is getting more and more popular in Tenerife, as many students are deciding to go to the city for higher study. However, most exchange students that come to the city are from neighboring countries and Asia. There are many exchange student opportunities that are there in the city for students to choose from. Shortly, the exchange student concept is set to grow more and have an outstanding impact on the city's educational system. There is a specific semester in the city that is getting famous and inviting students from other countries.
Au Pair is available in the city of Tenerife, but you will need to find a little bit hard to get a hold of them. This is one of the best options for students and foreigners to stay in the city. People who are planning to stay in the city from different countries can take the help of the au pair in the initial stage to earn money and get shelter.
Not only it helps the person, but it also helps the host to do their daily work. It is a perfect chance to earn money and continue studying in a foreign country for students. This is a good accommodation option available for tourists also. You will get an excellent response from the local people when searching for au pair if you know where to search for them. Take the help of different services that help to find the perfect au pair for you as per your choice.
Au Pairing is a widespread practice in Tenerife, where a foreign person helps out a family take care of their children's education or help out with the finances. In return, the au pair gets some monetary allowances that they can use for their personal use. This type of practice is common in Tenerife with low-income families as they cannot provide proper education facilities to their children.
To play your role as a responsible tourist, the best thing you can do to help the local Spanish communities is by taking part in volunteering activities. As the city is trying to improve the environment, you can volunteer after visiting the city to keep it clean. Volunteering is one of the best ways to keep the city clean and get to know the local people very well. You will also get help to get your language skill up one notch. There are many different services available that can help you to get volunteering. As a tourist, it is essential to give back something to the community of the city you are visiting. Volunteering is one of the best ways of learning about the deep-rooted problems and needs of the town.