Eco-friendly travel guide to Thessaloniki advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 5 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$30 - $300
- Budget per day: US$70 - $400
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Thessaloniki is a city in Greece that is very well known for having a port. This city holds some of the best historic stories about Greek mythology. The city is also very popular for being the second-largest city in the country. This city offers some of the best attractions of Greece and Byzantine, Roman, Ottoman history that invite tourists from different countries. As an eco-friendly traveler, there are some things that you can do during your trip to keep the city safe and green. Some of the most important ones are given below.
- Instead of choosing the normal accommodation options in this city, stay at the green hotels that help to keep the environment of the city safe and clean. Also, it will help you to stay healthy with all recycled, chemical-free facilities
- There are plenty of transportation modes available in the city that can help you to get a very good experience of exploring. However, most of them increase air pollution, choose transportations like electronic cars, and others to keep the city safe
- Just like traditional foods, the street foods of the city also play a very important role in the culture and lifestyle of the local people. Most of the small food stalls or vendors are dependent on tourism. So, it will help them a lot to keep providing delicious foods to tourists
- As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to visit the parks in the city that help to provide you fresh air and stay far from all the crowd. These are very good places in the city that will help you to get close to nature
- During your trip to Thessaloniki, make sure to buy items from the local vendors to help them. Most of these people are dependent on tourism
Air Quality and Pollution
Air quality plays a major role to keep you healthy in a foreign country. Based on the air quality of the city, you need to prepare for the journey and take precautions. Most of the time in a year, the air quality of this city stays moderate, which means it might be dangerous to your health. If you do not have any conditions, then you will have to take some medicines and masks with you. However, having conditions like asthma, breathing problems require medical attention before visiting the city. The doctor will help you to know which are the things that you need to carry with you in the city to ensure your safety.
Respect the Culture
Apart from the rich history and famous attractions, the culture of this city is very unique and interesting. The diversity in the culture attracts a huge number of tourists every year in this city. This city offers a lot of theaters, museums, arts, concert halls, music heritage, outdoor sculpture, and others. All of these things help to make the culture of the city much more attractive and invite travelers from all around the world.
You will be able to see a reflection of the culture in different things like food, clothes, lifestyle, and others. There are some festivals and events that take place in the city, which can help you to explore the culture very well. Make sure to visit every corner of the city to get the best cultural experience.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Tourists from different parts of the world love to visit Thessaloniki and want to have a lovely experience. It gives them a lot of happiness and fulfills their wishes within a very short span of time. Now in order to do it, you have to visit these ten places which are mentioned below.
- Arch of Galerius- It is a monument that has the Roman ruins of the early ages. After visiting here, you would get to know about them in full detail. Therefore, never miss it because the opportunity of visiting this wonderful place might not come again and again.
- Church of St. Demetrios- This is an ancient historic church which gives you a brief idea about the old saint of Greece. Visit here and get to know some of his famous works, which were prominent in the early ages.
- Cathedral Church of Agia Sophia of Thessalonica- You can call it a church cum monument where you can get some famous artifacts of the older days. If you miss it, then you will regret and curse yourself throughout the whole life.
- Rotunda- This temple is dedicated to all the Roman gods who sacrificed their lives for the happiness of people. After coming here, you can worship them and fulfill all your wishes very soon. In the beginning, you may find it boring, but later on, you will realize its value.
- Vlatadon Monastery- You cannot believe that this monastery was established in the 14th century and is still famous even today. The reason behind this thing is that it gives a brief history of the Byzantine Empire. Try this place, and you will know their significance and contributions which helped in getting freedom.
- Kapani Market- If you are feeling tired and hungry, then take a break over here and have some famous Greek dishes. This market is known for its food and also has some special qualities which you have never thought of before. There is no such person who misses it as you can say that those dishes are beyond your words.
- Municipal Art Gallery- Do not go by its name because it is an art gallery which can be visited by every tourist. Here you would get some famous Greek sketches and paintings. They are performed by the best artists who have their presence all over the city.
- Alaca İmaret- It is one of the oldest mosques, which promotes the cultural heritage of Greece. Have a tour of this place and go back to the period of the 15th century. The moment you come here, you will get absorbed and never feel like returning back to your normal life.
- Heptapyrgion- In simple words, it is a fort which is surrounded by seven different towers. Rather than having any second thoughts, just discover them and get to see something new and exceptional. But if you think that it is nothing, then you will never have any knowledge about this particular thing.
- City zoo- Last but not least, is one of the best zoos in the city where you will get a wide variety of wild animals. Get a chance to interact with them by making a nice friendship. Make a double tick of this place in your travel diaries and mark it as a very important one.
Now when we talk about exploring the city of Thessaloniki, then the aforementioned places are not enough. You have to also try out some city parks and museums which can give you a very valuable experience.
- YMCA- This park is for all those people who love to go for long walking and jogging activities. Here the atmosphere is friendly, and you would love it to the fullest. Make a fair attempt at coming here during the day time and see how well your time is spent
- Pedion Areos- The chirping of birds and the beautiful turtles in the pond of this park becomes a point of attraction for everyone. People often have a misconception that this place is a waste of time. But instead of hearing opinions from the others, you have to come here and make a fair decision
- Nea Elvetia- It is a children's park where you can bring your children and give them the best enjoyment. Here the rides and seesaws are amazing and will give them a very different feeling. Without asking any questions, just try it and let your kids experience something which they have never experienced before
- Agia Triada- Believe it or not, but it is true that the water of this beach is pure and salty. Lounge into the water and feel its effects during the day time. But if you miss it, then no one can help you to have a very different form of fun
- Epanomi- Without any doubt, we can say that you will get huge waves on this beach. There is no such person who misses it because bathing here is the best part of their life. Just go for it, and you will never have any disappointment
- White Tower of Thessaloniki- This tower is the best and is located in the heart of the city. Here the views are fascinating and can also give you loads of joy. You might not be fond of these places, but after coming here, your thoughts will change.
- Archaeological Museum- In this museum, you can know about the archeology of Greece and its importance in day to day life. Just discover it, and you will not only love it but also feel like recommending it to your friends.
- War Museum- There is no doubt that this place is fabulous and gives you brief information about the martyrs of World War II. Know about their responsibilities, and you will understand how they were a lifeline during the independence of Greece.
Eating is one of the best ways to explore the culture every well and know a lot about the lifestyle of local people. If you want to get the best experience during your trip to the city, then you need to try the traditional foods of the city. From 5-star restaurants to cheap ones, all different types are available in the city that you can try. However, you might get all the other dishes anywhere else in the country but the traditional foods are best here.
The raw and delicious flavor of the foods will help you to get a very good experience. Make sure to try the street foods as well to help the local vendors as most of them are dependent on tourism. Here are some of the different food sections given below that will help you to know the details about available food in the city.
Traditional Local Restaurants
As mentioned above, traditional dishes are one of the best things that boost the traveling experience in the city. There are many traditional restaurants available in the city that you can visit to taste some of the best dishes at very low prices. Before you visit Thessaloniki, you need to know what are the best restaurants that you need to visit. Here are some of the famous ones given below.
- Negroponte - This is one of the most crowded restaurants in the city that offers plenty of traditional dishes to customers. The decoration and different dishes of this restaurant make it very popular in the area. Some of the most famous dishes that you need to try in the city are zucchini cakes and fried pork yogurt
- Sempriko - This is another traditional Greek restaurant that is very popular around the city for offering some of the best dishes. Dishes like eggplant salad, manti dumplings, and others are must-try foods in this city. The environment and ambiance of the restaurant will help you to get a memorable experience
Vegetarian and Vegan
Many travelers face a lot of problems in travel destinations being a vegetarian. Most of the cities and countries do not have many vegetarian restaurants that make it hard for tourists to find veg dishes. However, Thessaloniki offers a lot of vegetarian restaurants that you can choose from for having the best veg dishes in the city.
- Elephant in the Room - This is one of the most famous vegan restaurants in the city that offers plant-based dishes to the customers. This restaurant is located only 4km away from the city center. You will be able to get some of the high-quality dishes at very low prices
- rOOTS - If you want to get a wide range of vegan dishes and foods, then this is the best place for you in the city. Delicious jackfruit tacos, burgers, raw lasagna, dessert cakes, and others
Street foods are undoubtedly one of the most important things in the culture of Thessaloniki. It plays a very important role in the lifestyle of the local people in the city and your food experience. As an eco-friendly traveler, purchasing the street foods from the local small vendors will help them a lot to get the support.
Like traditional foods and cuisines, street food is also a very important thing that you need to try in the city. Food stalls are available in almost all corners of the city. Some of the most famous street food stalls like Garbanzo, The Last Slice, Cerperiw Souzet, and many more. They offer tasty street food dishes at a very low price that will boost your food exploration.
Drinks are your best friend on your trip as it helps a lot during the expiration. It is impossible to cover most of the places in a day without getting tired. Different types of drinks become the favorite friend of travelers based on their choice. Well, Thessaloniki offers you a lot of options to choose from and pick the best drink for you. From alcohol to traditional drinks, everything is available on the corners and streets of the city.
You can buy them at very low prices from the shops around. Before trying anything else, make sure to try the traditional drinks of this city and craft local beers. It will help you to get a very good drinking experience and bring your energy back. Here are some of the sections in detail given below that will help you to stay safe in this city.
Tap-water is a major part of travel that can have a direct effect on your health. Before visiting any city, you need to know the condition of the tap water in that city as to whether it is drinkable or not. The local people of the city use tap water for drinking, washing, and other things. However, there are no reports available that say the water is not completely safe. On the other hand, local people have been drinking the tap water for a long time and no illness took place in the city.
So, you can follow the footsteps of the people in this city or you can boil and filter the water very well before drinking it. It will ensure your safety during the trip and save a lot of money on buying water bottles. Packaged water bottles are available in almost all the shops in the city. You can easily buy them and use them for drinking and other purposes to stay extra safe.
Another very useful way to stay safe in the country and keep any lack of energy away is to eat organic foods. Plenty of travelers like to eat organic foods only during the time they are in another city. Organic foods do not contain any harmful chemicals that help to stay completely healthy and get back your energy. It becomes very hard for travelers to found organic cafes in the cities. Fortunately, there are plenty of organic cafes available that offer Some of the most famous organic cafes, where you might meet other foreigners as well.
- Cafe Barak -This cafe offers a wide range of organic foods and dishes to travelers. You can get them at a very low price and delivery options are also available. Apart from organic dishes, this cafe also offers some other dishes as well
Without tasting the brews in this city, your experience of travel in Thessaloniki is incomplete. You will be able to get plenty of beer options in the city including the local craft beers. The nightlife of the city is very vibrant and offers a lot of different drinks. You can visit the clubs, pubs, and bars to taste the local beers and some international products. There are also some breweries that provide a live experience of crafting the beers and provide tasting services either for free or in exchange for money. Make sure to visit the beer places as early as possible to prevent waiting in line to experience the best beers.
One of the most attractive things about a city that invites travelers from different countries is the available activities. There are plenty of historical stories and famous attractions available in Thessaloniki to provide a great experience. From museums to churches, there are few places available in the city that will provide you a nice traveling experience. If you are interested in outdoor activities, then this city will not disappoint you.
Spoke of the most common activities which you can take part in the city are hiking, windsurfing, skydiving, kitesurfing, stand up paddle, and many more. If you like to get far from the crowd of the city, then there are city parks, forests, yoga centers, and other things to offer you some quiet time. Plenty of activities are waiting for you to explore and get an amazing experience of traveling to Thessaloniki.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga and retreats are very helpful to get away from the crowd and get a quiet time. While many people use it as an escape from all the busy schedules, others participate in yoga to improve their mental health and stay healthy. The local people of the city visit the yoga centers quite often as there are plenty of them scattered around the city.
You can take part in these yoga centers and do yoga to get calm or get your energy back during the trip. They offer both packages and classes at low prices that will provide you a great break from all the exploring. Make sure to contact the yoga centers and book your seats to avoid any hassle of offline form fillup.
Nothing is more important than a good rest during trips, and accommodation plays one of the major roles in taking rest. As Thessaloniki is a very popular travel destination, you will be able to get plenty of accommodation options in the city. From luxurious hotels to cheap apartments, a different kind of accommodation option is available in the city that you can choose based on your budget and duration of stay in the city.
While some of them offer extra facilities at a higher cost, some others provide basic facilities at very low cost. When choosing accommodation for your trip to Thessaloniki, keep in mind that staying at green hotels will help you to stay safe from all the pollution and keep the city safe from any waste. It is one of the major responsibilities of an eco-friendly traveler to keep the environment of the city safe. Here are some of the most common options travelers choose to stay and explore the city given below in detail.
Green hotels are getting popular in almost all countries as a very good option and eco-friendly option to stay. They use all the eco-friendly methods, unlike normal hotels that help to keep the palace pollution-free and produce further waste in the city. From solar windows to recyclable drinks, you will be able to get all of the different types of green options available in these hotels.
Being a major tourist destination, there are plenty of green hotels available that you can choose from for your stay. They provide all the features of a normal hotel with eco-friendly measures at an affordable price. If you are staying in the city for 1-2 weeks to explore, then this is the best option to stay for an eco-friendly traveler. Here are some of the green hotels of Thessaloniki that you can visit for the best experience.
- Le Palace Art Hotel
- El Greco Superior Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
Choosing hostels and guesthouses will help you to save a lot of money when you are traveling the city for more than 2-3 weeks. Hostels and guesthouses have most of the basic facilities available at low prices. However, if you want to go for a high range, there are many expensive ones available in the city. These hostels are very comfortable as other accommodation options.
You will find them in almost all regions of the city. However, make sure to book a hostel or guesthouse that is located at the center of the city to easily get access to different parts of the city. It is best to book these hostels and guesthouses online to ensure your room without any hassle. If you want to get them at a further low price, then you can share a room in a hostel with other people.
Staying in hostels, hostels, guesthouses are good for some weeks but it can become very expensive when staying for more than a month. So, the best option available for you to stay in Thessaloniki is apartments. You will be able to rent apartments in the city at a very low price. Plenty of apartments are available in every corner of the city that offers all the basic facilities.
Staying at apartments not only saves a lot of money, but it also helps to get a close look at the local people. You will be surrounded by the local people who also live in these apartments. It will help you to know more about the culture and traditions of the city. You can use online services to book the apartments easily without any hassle.
Couchsurfing is one of the most popular ways to stay in a city without spending much money. Using Couchsurfing, you will be able to stay at the home of another traveler who lives in Thessaloniki. It helps you to get food, shelter, and a lot of information about different places. You can take the help of online services to get plenty of hosts of the Couchsurfing community.
You can contact them to get the details of Couchsurfing and get a good place to stay in the city. Make sure to contact them long before the departure date to help them prepare. Staying like a local in the city, you will be able to get a very good cultural and traditional experience up close.
If you love to stay near nature and sleep under the open sky, then camping is the best option for you. There are many camping places available in the city that you can visit to have a very good experience. Camping places are one of the most chosen accommodation options for travelers to get a very good adventurous experience.
While some of them help to provide green surroundings and others offer hills or lakes. As with most of the accommodation options in this list, you will be able to get basic facilities available in most of the camping spots. They tend to get booked very early, make sure to book the camping spots as early as possible using online or offline services.
How to Get There
One of the very common things that people need to know before visiting different travel destinations is what are the different options available to reach. You will be able to get a lot of options available to reach Thessaloniki from different countries. Among all the others, the air is the most preferred option to reach the city from other countries and cities as it helps to reach the city very fast.
There are also many other options available to reach the city that might take more time to reach but offer other advantages to travelers. You need to know which one is the best option for you to reach Thessaloniki based on your location. Here are some of the best options available to you for traveling to Thessaloniki from other countries or cities.
As mentioned earlier, the air is the most convenient way of traveling to Thessaloniki from other countries or cities. You will be able to get a flight from most of the places very frequently. The city is very well connected with other places by air and you will be able to get a direct flight to the city from most of the places. The best thing about traveling by air is that you will be able to reach your destination very fast.
While it is the fastest mode of travel, traveling by air also costs a lot more compared to other countries. If you want to get the fares at a low price, then you might have to book the tickets a lot earlier. You can check the international flight timings from your place to the city by using online services.
Buses are the cheapest way to travel to different cities very comfortably. If you are traveling from any other city in Greece, then you can catch a bus to directly reach Thessaloniki. As the city is well connected with other cities of Greece, you will be able to get a direct bus from most of the places. However, you might not get the option to travel by bus directly to the city from all the countries except some nearby ones.
You will need to break your journey and take a bus after reaching the country. It might take time to reach a destination when traveling by bus but it helps to see all the wonderful scenes and views on the way. If you want to travel to this city by bus, then make sure to book the tickets online.
The train is the second favorite way of traveling for tourists to different places. According to many tourists, the train journey is very different and unique from most of the other transportations. Unlike air, you will be able to see all the beautiful places on your way to the destination, and there is also no issue of getting traffic on your way like buses. Trains take moderate time to reach a destination and offer a very unique experience of the journey.
From most of the other countries, trains are not well connected to Thessaloniki. If you are traveling from any neighboring country of Greece or inside any city of Greece, then you might find a lot of options to reach the destination. Just like buses and flights, online booking is also very important for a train journey or you will end up on the waiting list.
Hitchhiking is getting popular around the world as an adventurous way of traveling to different destinations. Using this mode of transportation, you will be able to reach the destination by taking lifts from other people who are on the way. You will have to hike and look for cars that are going in the same direction.
Greek people are very helpful and they do not mind giving a lift to other people. So, your chances are high to get a lift on your way to the city. However, it will take a lot more days to reach Thessaloniki compared to other modes of transportation. Make sure to carry some of the things with you in the city to ensure safety such as water, maps, and others.
There are many other ways that can help you to reach the city apart from the above-mentioned ones. Although these are a rare way of travel, you can choose to travel by car, bike, and many other ways. Thessaloniki is well connected with all the other cities by road and some countries as well. Taking the road will take a lot of time to reach but it will provide you an unforgettable experience.
You can also break your journey if you are traveling from other countries, and take the help car or bike to reach the city after entering Greece. In road adventures, you might have to stay in different places at night on your way. So, make sure to have some time on your hand before planning a road journey.
The whole travel experience of a city greatly depends on the exploration. You need to choose the best mode of transportation to explore the city based on the time of staying in the city and budget. There are many modes of transportation available in the city that can help you to explore very well. While some of them take a lot of time to reach the destination, others help to reach very fast.
However, if you want to explore all the buildings, markets, and the lifestyle of locals very well on your way to the famous attractions, then you will need to have a lot of time on your hands. Here are some of the most common ways of exploring the city that will help you to know which is the best for you.
Walking is considered to be the best way of exploring the city and observing the different things of the city. From buildings to markets, you will be able to observe all of them very close by walking. There are some places in the city, where only pedestrians are allowed to enter. So, It will help you to explore all the areas very well and get a very good experience of exploring. You will be able to take shortcuts too that will help to reach the famous attractions very fast. While you are walking to explore the city, make sure to carry some of the things like sunscreen lotion, umbrella, water, and other things.
Exploring the city using a bicycle is one of the healthiest ways of traveling. You will be able to reach some of the best attractions faster than walking. There are separate lanes available in the different parts of the city that will help you to reach faster avoiding any traffic. Cycles are available in different corners of the city.
You will be able to rent them at a very low price for our tour duration. Before renting it, make sure to ask your hotel if they provide a cycle for customers. While some places have a separate lane for cyclists, in other places, you might have to ride on the main highway. So, take some time on your hand before going out on a bicycle exploration.
As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to take care of the city's environment while exploring it. Although there are many different ways available to explore the city, most of them produce air pollution. You can take the help of electronic vehicles in the city to roam around without polluting the city. These are the fastest way of traveling in the city and cover the most famous attractions in a day.
Although you will be able to visit a lot of places very fast, you will not be able to witness different things on the road. The traffic on the road can make you late to reach your travel destination, it always takes some time on your hand before going out in electronic vehicles. You can book these electronic vehicles online to get them at low prices.
Buses are considered to be the cheapest way of transport in the city. You will be able to get them very frequently in Thessaloniki. From bus stops to terminals, all of them offer intercity to long journey buses. The bus journey is quite comfortable and helps you to reach your destination faster compared to a bicycle or walking.
The best thing about public buses is that it helps you to know more about the culture and lifestyle of local people. You will be surrounded by local people on the buses. It will help you to get a close look at their lifestyle and give you a better cultural look. You can look at the timetables of the buses to avoid waiting for them.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trains are available in the city that you can use to move around without any worries. They are very frequent and well connected with all the other parts. Unlike other modes of transportation, you do not have to wait in the traffic. You can look at the time table and book the ticket for the trains online to avoid any hassle. Although there used to be many trams in this city, none of the services are available now. Same for the subways, there are no available ones that connect the city well.
Shopping is mandatory no matter where you travel to. It helps you to get some of the items that will help you to remember the trip and bring back some cultural symbols. However, choosing sustainable shopping instead of the normal can help you to shop at a low price and keep the city safe from waste. Being one of the popular historical destinations, you will be able to find a lot of flea markets, second-hand markets, and others in the city. They offer high-quality goods of different types at very low prices.
If you are a food lover, then you need to visit the food markets in Thessaloniki. These food markets offer some of the best food items and spices. The secret ingredients of the city to seasonal spices, explore the market to find some of the rare items that make the foods delicious. Between your exploration, you can take a break and taste some amazing dishes from the food stalls.
Most of the travelers that visit Thessaloniki are attracted to the history of the city. From mythology to other histories, the city offers you a lot of good stories and mysteries. It is needless to say that there are plenty of flea markets in the city that can help you to get some rare items at low prices. These flea markets can offer you vintage items, antiques, clothes, accessories, and others to make your collection glamorous.
Second Hand Stores
Instead of buying new clothes and accessories from the stores, choose recycled second-hand items to improve the environment. As an eco-friendly traveler, buying second-hand items will help the sellers recycle waste, inspire the local people to try them, and shop owners will get a lot of support. Most of the second-hand goods are as good as new ones and they are of high quality too. You will be able to save a lot of money as these goods come at a low price.
In the past few years, eco-fashion became a lot popular because of green initiatives. These clothes or accessories are as good as the other ones but made with natural materials instead of chemicals. It helps you to keep out of any harm's way and improve the environment. Most of these fashions are disposable and recycle that helps to reduce the waste of the city. So, make sure to try these eco-fashion items during your tour to Thessaloniki.
Recycling is one of the most important things now around the world that can help to improve the overall environment a lot. The city has taken many different precautions and initiatives to improve the environment and reduce pollution. Local people are slowly adopting recycled items, green hotels, electronic taxis, water, and many other things. You will be able to see many recycled items in the city during your tour of the city.
Waste management is very important to keep the city out of landfills and keep the pollution in check. The amount of waste is decreasing rapidly in this city in the last few years. A high amount of solid and municipal waste is getting recycled in the city. You will get to see dustbins installed on the road to collect all the wastes of the city and recycle them accordingly.
Work and Study Abroad
Apart from the history of the city, you will also find many top-quality universities in the city. Students from different countries visit this city and pursue their higher education with the help of different benefits. You will come across many students in the city who are studying different courses at low prices in Thessaloniki.
The exchange student is becoming one of the best facilities for students around the world. Many universities in Thessaloniki offer exchange student benefits to offer study at a low price. Using this facility, you will be able to get courses in other countries with only the college fee. However, your home university needs to have a partnership with the universities in Thessaloniki and get nominated by the home university as well.
Au Pair is one of the best ways to get comfortable at the time of settling in the city. It will help you to get shelter, food, and some pocket money in exchange for taking care of older people, babies, and the household. It is very helpful for people who are traveling to the city in their initial stage.
If you want to do something to contribute to the green initiative, then you can choose to be a volunteer. There are plenty of volunteering jobs that will help you to keep the city safe and lean. Some of the common ones are keeping the historical places clean, teaching English to local people, guiding the tourists, and many more.