Eco-friendly travel guide to Tunisia advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Tunisia, Africa.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Bus connections: 3 / 5
- Train connections: 3.5 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3.5 / 5
- National parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$110 - $380
- Budget per day: US$100 - $480
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Tunisia is a country that is also known as the Republic of Tunisia. It is located in North Africa in the Maghreb region. Near the Mediterranean Sea in the north and Algeria in the west, this country is bordered very well. The country is known to be the smallest among all the other countries in North Africa. However, this country offers some spectacular landscapes and historical attractions that invite travelers from all around the world. Apart from that, you will also get to see a unique culture that will help you a lot to understand their lifestyle and learn rare traditions.
The population of this country is more than 11.8 million and diversity of religion is present in the country. Make sure to explore all the different areas of this country to know more and make your trip interesting. However, you also need to keep in mind that there are some duties and responsibilities you need to do while traveling this country along with exploring different attractions. Some of the most important ones are briefed below to help you understand.
- In different parts of the country, you will find various types of transportations available. You can choose any of them for your exploration based on requirements. However, you will find a lot of eco-friendly options among them that do not produce pollution. Try to use options like electric vehicles, bicycles, and others to keep the country pollution free and help the environment.
- Foods are one of the essential parts of the culture that attracts tourists from the entire world to Tunisia. There are some traditional restaurants available that offer a wide range of local dishes. You need to try them to get the best food experience. But keep in mind to visit the street food stalls as well which are known for offering some of the best dishes at low prices
- As the country is popular for receiving a lot of tourists every year, you will be able to get a lot of accommodations options. All of them are very good and comfortable for your stay but only green hotels allow you to keep the environment of the country safe along with taking care of your health. They use eco-friendly options to offer different benefits. Try to pick the green hotels during your trip to Tunisia as an eco-friendly traveler
- When traveling to the country, you will find a lot of city parks that offer a quiet time and close encounter with nature. After visiting some of the famous attractions, you can visit the city parks to get far from all the crowd of the city and close to nature. While some of them offer outdoor activities, others are surrounded by green and produce fresh air.
- As you are traveling to Tunisia as an eco-friendly traveler, there are many responsibilities that you need to keep in mind. One of the major ones among them is purchasing things and items from the local shops and stalls. It will help them a lot to get support and earn some money as most of them are dependent on tourism. Although poverty has decreased in this country very much in the last few years, there are still many small sellers who need support to keep providing
Air Quality and Pollution
If you travel to any destination without knowing the air quality, then you can put your life at risk. There are many countries that are not healthy for tourists to visit without precautions. So, knowing the quality of air and pollution is very important. The air quality of Tunisia is moderate and it keeps changing in some of the regions. You will need to take safety precautions before visiting this country such as masks, medicines, and others. You will need to talk to a doctor and take advice if you have major conditions like asthma or serious breathing problems. The doctor will help you to ensure an uninterrupted trip experience in Tunisia. The Air Quality Index (AQI) of this country is around 50-60.
Respect the Culture
Although tourist attractions are the major reason for visiting this country by the tourists around the world. Culture and traditions also play a very important part in making this country special. More than 99% of the people of Tunisia are Muslim and the country is considered to be a Muslim country. However, you will get to see many Christians in the country too. When Tunisia was under the rule of Romans, they introduced Christianity to this country.
Although Tunisia is Muslim centric, other religions are welcome and free to practice or express their culture. The country is very well known for offering a rich history to travelers. From historical places to artifacts, this country is an ideal place for tourists who love to explore history. Try to respect the culture and rituals of the locals during your trip to Tunisia and learn new things about the local lifestyle.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Your trip to Tunisia is incomplete without visiting the famous attractions. As there are plenty of them that take a lot of time to explore, you need to know which are the best ones that are worth a visit. So, here are the top 10 attractions of the country that you need to visit for a memorable experience.
- Carthage - This ancient city was once a major rival of Rome and home of the seafaring Phoenicians who are still memorized in the Punic Wars. If you are interested in the history of North Africa, then you must visit the ruins of this ancient city that also takes place in the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites
- El Djem Amphitheater - Without any doubt, this is one of the most visited places by tourists in Tunisia. This is a relic that is one of the well-preserved examples of Roman structures. You can take a tour of this arena to explore the corridors where the gladiators used to stay
- Sidi Bou Said - If you want to jump from history to landscaping town, then you can visit Sidi Bou Said, which is a small village located on the clifftop. The place seems like it was made by the stroke of artists because of the unique dimensions and colorful surroundings. The mix of Mediterranean and Tunisian architect made this village very unique and a must-visit location
- Bulla Regia - This is one of the interesting historical places of Tunisia that helps to know how the Romans have survived the harsh summer environment in Tunisia. You will see a lot of underground villas that are preserved very well and the glimpse of the ancient world lifestyle
- Grand Erg Oriental - The best thing about this country is that it also offers you the experience of exploring the desert. The best part of this desert is called Grand Erg Oriental that offers beautiful dunes and wave landscapes. You can take part in different activities such as sunset watching, camel riding, buggy riding, hiking, and others
- Hammamet -If you want to sit back and relax while enjoying the fresh breeze of the sea, then visit Hammamet. It is a beautiful town filled with white buildings and a splendid view of the blue water that helps to get the feeling of a beach vacation
- Kairouan - This city comes in 4th place for being the most crucial cities of Tunisia among Muslims. It offers a lot of tombs, mosques, madrassas, and others which helps to showcase Arabic architecture along with the attractive back alleyways
- Chott el Djerid - Located near the desert town Tozeur, this place is somewhat different from all the other ones on the list. It offers an otherworldly beauty and landscape to the travelers. If you are visiting this place in summer, then you will get to see some jigsaw puzzles, shimmering mirages, and other panoramas
- Sousse Medina - This is an old town district filled with whitewashed houses, looping lanes, ceramics, metalwork shops, leatherwork shops, and a vast shopping complex. If you love to explore the markets in local places, then visit this city
- Olive Tree Mosque - Visit one of the holiest places in the country that is home to some of the best religious architecture examples. It was built during AD 732 at the time of the Umayyad dynasty. Although you cannot enter the hall of prayer if you are not a Muslim, you can walk around the courtyard to witness the beautiful place.
Exploring is the most important aspect of your overall travel experience to Tunisia. You will need to explore the country very well to know different areas, cultures, choices, lifestyle, attractions, and others. However, as an eco-friendly traveler, there are some other places that you need to visit as well as the above-mentioned ones. These places will help you to get close to nature and enjoy the natural beauty of the country. Here are some different sections are given below in detail to help you get a brief idea.
City parks are one of the most favorite places for eco-friendly travelers around the world. It helps them a lot to enjoy nature and get fresh air. There are many city parks available in Tunisia that you can visit to get away from the crowd of the city and relax. Most of them are visited by both local people and travelers to spend some time. Here are some of these city parks given below that you can choose to visit.
- Corniche Lac 2 -Offers a great view of the sunset along with a beautiful landscape that will take your breath away. There are sitting benches and long walkway available that will help you spend quality time in the park
- Sidi Bou Said Lighthouse - The location of this lighthouse helps you to get a view that is unmatched with anything. You will be able to see the merge point of sea and ocean and the whole region of Sidi Bou Said from the top of this lighthouse.
If you like to explore the wildlife, then Tunisia is heaven for you. You will be able to get a wide number of national parks available in this country. All of them are located in different terrain and offer various climates that make it important to explore most of them. Here are some of the famous ones mentioned below to help you get some information before visiting them.
- Chaambi National Park - This is one of the most famous national parks of the country that is known as a UNESCO biosphere nature park since 1978. The park extends more than 6,700 hectares in the region of Jebel Chambi. It is home to more than 24 mammal species and 260 plant species
- Lake Ichkeul National Park - When it comes to national parks in this country, this park comes in the first spot. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site for more than 40 years. You will get to witness more than 200 types of different species of birds along with other animals. The lush greenery of this park makes it one of the must-visit places for nature lovers.
You will not be disappointed in Tunisia if you are a beach lover. As the country is located near the Mediterranean Sea, you will get plenty of sandy beaches here. The blue water and breeze air of these beaches will help you a lot to relax. Here are the best beaches in this country that you need to visit.
- Hammamet - This beach is located just one hour away from Tunis also known as the capital city of Tunisia. If you want to get sandy beaches, blue water, and a great place for outdoor activities, then you can visit this beach which comes on the list as one of the finest beaches of Tunisia. Some of the most common water activities that you can take part in this beach are snorkeling, scuba diving, walking on the shore, swimming, and much more
- Djerba - If you want to get a tan or relax on the sandy white beach, then this is the best one for you. The beach is surrounded by the "island of the thousand palm trees" and offers picture-perfect landscapes. You will be able to relax and spend a great time on this beach in the summertime
The best way to know that you have reached your destination by looking at the landmarks. Apart from tourist attractions, the landmarks also invite a lot of people to the destination. When it comes to landmarks, Tunisia has plenty of them to offer. Here are some of the best landmarks of Tunisia that you need to visit after reaching the country.
- Tamerza Falls - More than 5m tall group of waterfalls which are located in Oasis mountain of Tamerza. You can see these waterfalls from a very far distance.
- Djebel Ousselat rock art - As the name suggests, you will be able to see red and black paintings on 7 different rocks. Apart from weapons, animals, and stars, most of them are human paintings
Although Tunisia offers a lot of different places and locations to visit, the country is famous all around the world for the rich history. From historical monuments to stories, you will be able to learn a lot about the past about the country and others. The best way to know more about history is by visiting the museums. Here are some of the museums that you can visit to witness exhibitions and other artifacts.
- The National Bardo Museum - This is the most famous museum in the country that is visited every year by a lot of tourists and locals. Not only Tunisia, but this museum is one of the top museums of North Africa. You will get artifacts, arts from the Byzantine and Roman eras, music collections, and others
- Djerba Traditional Heritage Museum - As the name suggests, the museum is known for showcasing the traditions and culture of the country’s past. This museum is located in the Houmt Souk, which is also known as the Ethnographic Museum of Sidi Zitouni. You can learn about all the local customs and traditions such as pottery, fishing, agriculture, clothes, artworks, and others.
To explore the country very well, you will need to eat different types of available foods. It plays a major role in the culture and lifestyle of the local people. You will get plenty of food options available in this country from traditional to international. Different cuisines are offered in many restaurants at reasonable prices. Unlike many other countries, you will not have to worry about the food available in the country. There are plenty of restaurants in Tunisia that will offer you a great food experience.
However, the traditional dishes and cuisines are the ones that you must try because you might not be able to try them in any places. Some of the most famous dishes that you need to try in Tunisia include Tunisian Salad, Le Lablabi, Tajine, Brik, Mechouia Salad, and many others. As the country is located near the Mediterranean sea, you will be able to get a lot of seafood dishes available in this country as well. Apart from restaurants, make sure to visit the street food stalls as well that helps you a lot to get a wide range of traditional foods at low prices.
In a country like Tunisia, you will need to have drinks in almost every step from exploring the attractive places to beaches. As the country offers a lot of beaches, you will find a lot of different types of drinks available here from alcohol to soft drinks. The local drinks of the country will keep changing in different areas and cities. However, if you want to get them all available under one roof, then you can visit the nightlife of the country.
There are many pubs, clubs, and bars that you can visit to get a wide list of drinks available. Some of the traditional drinks that you need to try in this country are mint tea, coffee, red wine, white wine, and others. Other than these, you can get some local beers like one of the popular brands in the country is Celtia. Most of the drinks are served with almonds or pine nuts.
You do not want to get sick during your trip and miss the popular places of the destination. So, you need to check many different things before visiting. One of the most important things is checking the tap water quality of Tunisia. Many restaurants and hotels might offer you tap-water as normal drinking water. However, you do not have to worry much while drinking tap water in Tunisia as it is completely safe to drink.
There is no pollution in the tap-water in this country. Local people of the country use tap-water as primary drinking water. However, if you want to ensure the safety of your health, then you can take the help of filtering and billing. It will help to get rid of pollutants in the water and make the water safe to drink. Almost all the shops in this country have packaged drinking water available that you can drink.
Tunisia is one of the famous travel destinations among travelers around the world. The location of the country helps you to get all of the different aspects available including sea, forests, mountains, and desert. So, you will not run out of activities in this country for more than months. Despite being the smallest country in North Africa, it offers a wide list of activities to travelers. There are plenty of historic monuments available in the country that you can visit to explore the historic side of the country. Apart from that, there are also outdoor activities available such as rock climbing, desert buggy riding, camel riding, swimming, scuba diving, hiking, trekking, and others.
One of the things that you need to plan in advance before going out on the trip is accommodation options. Being a popular tourist destination, you will find a lot of accommodation options available in this country. Most of them offer a very good and comfortable stay along with all the benefits. You will need to choose one of them based on your staying duration and budget. Some of them are available at very high prices and offer luxurious benefits. Among all the others, green hotels are the only eco-friendly option that helps to keep the environment free of pollution. Here are some of the most chosen accommodation options given below in detail.
As mentioned earlier, it is one of the ways to stay comfortable and keep the environment pollution free. You will be able to get many green hotels available in this country in the major cities. Most of them offer all the benefits based on the price range. You can get both luxurious and basic green hotels available but make sure to book them early. As travelers tend to book green hotels a lot, you might not get them available in the offline booking. So, it is best to book the green hotels in advance to get them available. You can take the help of online services to book them without any hassle.
Hostels and Guest Houses
While hotels start from a higher price range, hostels and guesthouses start from a lower range that gives you the option to cut the cost of accommodation. If you are thinking of staying for more than 1 week, then these options can help you to save a lot of money. Most of these hotels even offer an option to share the room with other travelers to cut the cost. You will be able to get some luxurious guest houses available in the country as well in different locations. Try to book the hostels and guest houses in the middle of the cities to get connected well to all the different corners.
If you are visiting the country to explore the culture, then apartments are the best option for your accommodation. You will find them very cost-saving if you are thinking to stay more than 1 month. Unlike other modes of accommodation, this one is very well available in different corners of the country and does not require advance booking. You can book them offline and stay for a long time at a low cost. However, the thing that makes them attractive to tourists is the glimpse of local culture and traditions. As the apartments are also used by local people, you will be able to stay surrounding them.
Couchsurfing is one of the best ways to save a lot of money while staying comfortably in the country. It will allow you to stay like a local in the country at a very low cost. You can take the help of online services to find a Couchsurfing host in this country. There are plenty of local people available in the country who offer Couchsurfing to tourists. You will be able to stay at the palace of the host along with receiving other hospitalities like food, information, and others. Staying with a local family will help you a lot to learn the lifestyle of the local people such as language, food, and others.
Camping is so far the best option to enjoy nature and make your stay in the country adventurous. There are some locations available in Tunisia that invite the campers to enjoy the scenic beauty and landscape. There are plenty of camps available in this country that you can choose to stay in and have a great adventure. Staying under the open sky and close to nature will help you to rejuvenate. All of the camps offer basic benefits and facilities to the customers at a good price range. You will need to book them in advance to get them available as they tend to get booked very fast.
Getting There and Moving Around
As a popular tourist destination, this country offers a lot of transportations to move around. From most of the places, you will also find a lot of transportations to reach the country as well. However, it depends a lot on your home location and which options are available to you. You will have to choose one based on your requirements, available time, and budget. While traveling to Tunisia or moving around, make sure to choose transportation that does not pollute the environment. Here are some of the most chosen modes of transportation given below.
The air might be the best option for you if you want to reach the destination very fast. It is the most chosen option by the travelers as it helps to save a lot of time and is well connected to all the other countries. You will be able to get flights available from most of the other countries to visit Tunisia. When it comes to moving around in the country by flight, Tunisia has a total of 9 airports. You will be able to save a lot of time and move around the cities very well. However, you need to keep in mind that flight tickets are very expensive, and you will need to book them in advance to get them at a low price.
Buses are the cheapest way to travel and explore the destination. You will be able to get them available from most of the neighboring countries and in the cities of Tunisia. However, you need to keep in mind that it takes a lot of time to travel by bus compared to flight and others. You can wait at the bus stops and bus terminals in the country to get both local and intercity buses available frequently. It is best to book the bus tickets early to ensure your seat and have a comfortable journey.
Trains are the very well known mode of transportation among travelers to reach different locations. From most of the nearby countries, you will be able to get trains available to reach Tunisia. However, the option might not be available if you are traveling from a country that is located very far. When it comes to exploring the country, there are railway systems available in most of the major cities of this country. The railway system of Trains runs in different places such as Sfax, Tunis, El Jem, Sousse, Gabes, and Tozeur. You cannot book train tickets earlier than 3 days in this country. So, make sure to get them in advance before 3 days to get the tickets available.
Hitchhiking is a way to reach the destination with the help of taking lifts from other people who are going the same way. You will also need to hike your way from one place to another to get lifts. From most of the counties, you will need a lot of time to reach Tunisia by Hitchhiking. From countries that are located far from Tunisia, you will not be able to hitchhike. However, when it comes to moving around the country, you can take the help of hitchhiking to reach almost all the cities of Tunisia as they are very well connected via road. The local people of the country are very friendly and will help you to reach different destinations.
As this country is situated on the side of the Mediterranean Sea, you can also reach from many other countries by water. It takes a lot more time than a flight but helps you to get the experience of traveling by ship or boat. Apart from that, you can also rent a car or bike to go on a road trip from nearby countries to reach Tunisia by road. If you do not have much time on your hand for the Tunisia trip, then these modes of transportations are not ideal as they are very time-consuming. Traveling by road is one of the most adventurous journeys that help you to witness all the beautiful places on your way.
Sustainable shopping is very important to keep the destination stay out of waste and pollution. Travelers around the world are now opting for sustainable shopping to improve the environment. You will get many sustainable shopping options available in Tunisia in different major cities. From second-hand shops to flea markets, there are plenty of shops available that can help you to get high-quality goods at a very low price. Most of these markets offer antiques, vintage items, second-hand items, and eco fashions. Make sure to visit the markers as early as possible to get all the different things available. Most of the rare items tend to go out on a first come first serve basis.
The recycling system of Tunisia is very well and you will be able to see a lot of recycling plants in the country. Like all the other countries, Tunisia has developed very good management to improve its recycling system and keep the country pollution-free. Compared to past years, recycling has improved a lot in this country. Waste pickers, also known as barbechas, visit different parts of the cities and collect recyclable waste. The government of the countries and local companies helped a lot to improve the recycling sector. As waste disposal was a very pressing issue in Tunisia, they have started many initiatives to keep the waste clean.
From healthcare waste to chemical waste, Tunisia still has some of the waste problems that they need to control. A part of the total waste still gets disposed of or goes into landfills. Although the use of plastics has reduced a lot in this country, you will still be able to see plastic waste. Make sure to play your part very well when visiting this country and put your waste in the right place to keep the streets clean. The locals of the country are aware of the situation and trying their best to restore the environment by controlling waste production.
Work and Study Abroad
Tunisia offers a long list of universities, colleges, schools, along with good job opportunities. Many students from different countries visit to complete their education. They receive plenty of benefits for higher study with a low-cost lifestyle that helps them to study without spending a lot of money. As the country is very well known for having a gas, oil, mining, and textile industries, people from different parts of the world come here to get a job. You will find a lot of foreign workers in this country who have been working for a long time in this country comfortably. Here are some of the fasciitis that you can get in this country as a foreign worker or student.
For students who do not have a good financial condition, this program can be very helpful to study in foreign universities. There are many universities available in Tunisia that offer this program to foreign students. Based on your country, you can check the home institute to see if it has a partnership with any of the universities of Tunisia. If the foreign university and your home university have a partnership and you get nominated for this program, then you can study in the foreign university by just paying the tuition fee.
As a foreign worker, student and traveler, you can face a lot of problems to get accommodation, food, and money in the new country. Au Pair is one of the ways to get both a place to stay and food along with some pocket money in exchange for taking care of the household, children, and old people. Although Au Pair jobs in Tunisia are lower in Tunisia than in other countries, you can take the help of online websites to get a host.
As an eco-friendly traveler, the best way to help the country is by volunteering. If you have extra time on your hand after traveling the different attractions, you can take part in different jobs like teaching English to the local people, helping other travelers, planting trees with locals, collecting waste, keeping the famous attractions clean, and many more. It will not only help the local people and the country but you will be able to learn their language, culture and traditions, and lifestyle.