Eco-friendly travel guide to Vilnius advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.5 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4.5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$20 - $120
- Budget per day: US$80 - $150
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Vilnius is very famous all around the world for being the capital city of Lithuania. This city is very well known for having baroque architecture and medieval old town. You will be able to feel both of the eras looking at the building and streets of this city.
Being the home of many old castles and a historical hub of World War 2, it attracts a very good number of tourists every year in the city. If you are planning to visit this city as an eco-friendly traveler, then you will need to keep some of the things in your mind.
- Try to use the local transportation service as much as you can to help the environment and to come closer to the local people. It will help you to understand the daily life of the locals.
- Choose green hotels for your stay in the city to reduce pollution and waste. It is a great way to stay in the city and explore it while helping it to stay clean.
- Along with international cuisines from different restaurants in the city, eat the local street food that will help the people and support them to provide more.
- The city contains many green parks, visit them to have fresh air and get closer to nature.
- On your trip to Vilnius city, try to buy local goods and clothes from the shops and stalls. A large portion of the population is dependent on tourism, purchasing things from them will support them very much.
Air Quality and Pollution
No matter the place, you always need to know the air quality and prepare accordingly. The air quality of Vilnius is good for the travelers, the average Air Quality Index (AQI) Stays around 20-40. You will be able to explore the city very comfortably as the air of this city does not have much pollution.
However, it is best to carry some masks and important medicines around if you have different health conditions like asthma or serious breathing problems. Being prepared helps to avoid any type of health risk while traveling the city. Your doctor might be able to help you with some medicines to stay out of risk.
Respect the Culture
Most of the people that you will come across in the Vilnius city on your trip are Christians, but you will also see Muslims, Jews, and Protestants. The culture of this city is very unique, and you will be surprised to see the historical buildings and streets in the city. From foods to traditions, the local people of Vilnius have a unique lifestyle.
The historical monuments, Nordic culture aspects, and Christian Traditions have made this city a must-visit for travelers. Also, the stories and some remains of World War 2 in this city still go around different ears. You will get to witness one of the best cultures in this city while exploring the lanes and streets and purchasing goods.
Top 10 Places to Visit
The city of Vilnius is lovely, and people from different parts of the globe love to visit here. And after visiting, no one gets a disappointing feeling and wants to come here again and again. But now if you want to make your trip more enjoyable, then these places are a must-visit for you.
- Gediminas Castle Tower- It is an ancient tower which was built in the year 1409 and is still famous today. The only reason behind this thing is that some of its famous architectural sculptures and paintings have better relevance. Just explore them, and you will have an eagerness to know the best things about them.
- St Anne's Church- One of the best churches in the city which tells you about some interesting things at an early age. Never miss it because this opportunity might not come, and you may regret it in the future.
- Gates of Dawn- Do not go by its name because it is the holiest pilgrimage place. Here you will get to worship your favorite god and wish for the most beautiful thing in your life. Just try it out, and you will love it to the fullest.
- Vilnius Cathedral- This is a Roman Catholic cathedral that gives you a brief history of the wars that used to happen in those ages. The moment you come here, then you will get a fine knowledge and feel like sharing it among your friends.
- Radvila Palace- This palace is located in the older streets of Vilnius and is famous for some popular artworks. Visit here, and you would like to get absorbed in the paintings and the artistic cultures of it.
- TV Tower- The topmost tower in the city where you will get an observation deck on the top. From here, you can have a better view of the city and explore it in a different manner.
- Sapieha Palace- Though it is a mansion people in the city call it a palace. It gives you a brief idea of the Sapieha family and tells you about their contribution to the city.
- Vilniaus universiteto botanikos sodas- You might not be a lover of botany, but the flowers of this botanical garden become a central point of attraction. After visiting just take the pictures and cheer the blissful moments of your life.
- Gariunai Market- It is a market where you will get a wide range of garments and clothes. Buy them for once, and you will never have any complaints or dissatisfaction.
- Zoopark- You can call it a park which also has a zoo. Here you will find the best species and know about their origin as soon as possible.
Now when it comes to exploring Vilnius city, then there are more places like museums and city parks. If you think that it is a rumor, then in this section, you will get to know about them in detail.
- Bernardinai Garden- Without any doubt, we can say that this park is awesome. The reason behind this thing is that it has the best recreational activities and you will enjoy it a lot.
- Vingis Park- It is the most peaceful park where you can come to have a little bit of relaxation. Go for it and see how you get rid of all your pains and depressions.
- Verkiai Regional Park- It is a nice park for having a picnic with your family. The atmosphere is nice, and it will give you the real meaning of nature in full detail.
- Pavilnys- Bring your children over here, and they will get enjoyment at a different level. There is the best thing about this park that it has rope trails, bouncy castles, and many other things.
- Valakampiai- It is a lovely beach where you have to visit during the daytime. The waves are huge, and you would love to have a bath for at least once.
- Three Crosses- One of the most popular landmarks which were established in the 17th century. Takes you to the early days of Jesus and conveys to you the rights things about him.
- National Museum- It is a 68-year-old museum which depicts you about the significance of the city. Here you will also find some best collections of the historic artifacts and materials.
- Europos Parkas- This museum is fully open, and here you would find some rocks and fossils. Double tick this place and mark it as a very important one in your travel diaries.
Food is one of the best things that helps to understand the culture of the city very well. Your trip to the Vilnius city is not complete without having some of the best local traditional foods, and other types of foods. No matter which type of food you are looking for in the city, you will get all of them. However, trying traditional foods is the best way to get to know local foods, spices, culture, and people very well.
Some of the foods are available in this city that you will not get anywhere else in the world. You need to know which places are best to visit in the city to have some quality food. From vegetarian to street food, every section is given below that will help you to know details.
Traditional Local Restaurants
As mentioned earlier, you need to try the traditional and local foods of the city to know more about the culture, traditions, and many different things about the city. Being the capital of Lithuania, you will be able to get the raw taste of Lithuanian food in this city.
Some unique and delicious traditional dishes will help you to get the best eating experience in the city. Here are some of the best traditional restaurants that you need to visit in Vilnius.
- Senoji Trobele - If you want to get the best Lithuanian cuisine, then you need to visit this restaurant. This place is very well known in the city for providing the best traditional dishes to customers at a reasonable price.
- Berzelius Uzeiga - This is one of the oldest restaurants in the city which is very well known for serving traditional Lithuanian dishes. You will be able to get plenty of choices and make sure to try their special "Kugelis".
Vegetarian and Vegan
Do not worry if you are vegan, this city offers many well-known places that you can visit and have the best vegetarian dishes. You will not miss out on the traditional dishes as many of them are also veg. Make sure to visit these restaurants given below to have the best vegetarian food in Vilnius.
- Zatar Falafel and hummus - This is one of the oldest veg restaurants in the city that offers many different types of dishes to their customers. The place is very well known for having hummus and falafel dishes. You will be able to get dishes like pitas, salads, and others.
- Vegafe - You can stop at this veg restaurant to have some of the best veg dishes in the city. The palace is located near the city hall square, and they offer different cuisines like Middle Eastern, Tibetan, and Indian.
Trying the Lithuanian cuisines are very important in the city, but street foods are equally special and a very crucial part of the culture. Some of the rare and delicious street foods of this city will help you to get the best experience of eating in Vilnius. You will be able to see many street food vendors and stall on every corner of the city.
Make sure to visit these food stalls and taste the delicious foods. Some of the best street foods that you need to try in this city are Juicy American hamburger, Pita Bread, Sausage with German Mustard, Mexican Tortilla, and many other dishes.
You will get plenty of options for drinks in Vilnius city as the city is very well known around the world for providing the best drinks. According to reports, Lithuanians are very well known for drinking a lot of alcohol. Lithuania comes at the top position in the world for having the highest consumption of alcohol.
So, you will be able to get some of the best alcohol in this city from both international and local brands. In between visiting the famous attractions, you will be able to get soft drinks, fruit juices, and a wide range of beverages. Here is some information about different drinks in the city that will help you to know details.
The tap water of Vilnius is drinkable, and you can easily drink it without any worries. There are no reports of people getting ill from drinking tap water. So, the tap water is perfectly safe, but you can filter the water or boil it before drinking to be assured. Drinking tap water will help you to save a lot of money by drinking packaged water.
Also, it will help the city from getting more waste as package water is packed in plastic bottles. You will be able to get the tap water available 24x7 in this city, but it is best to reserve the drinking water and carry it when you are exploring the city.
Health-conscious travelers stay very concerned about traveling to different cities as they only eat organic foods. Well, if you are one of them, then you do not have to worry much because you will get plenty of options in the city for getting organic foods.
These restaurants offer a wide range of organic dishes to customers at a reasonable price. Here are some of the best organic restaurants in the city that you can visit to get the best foods.
- D’eco Bar & Restaurant - This is one of the oldest restaurants in the city that is very well known for providing organic dishes. You will be able to get a lot of different organic dishes from local to western. The price of the dishes is also very affordable, which will help you to save money while eating the best organic food in the city.
As mentioned earlier, this city is heaven for all the people who like to drink beer and chill. You will be able to get many local breweries in the city. As the local people like to drink a lot of alcohol, the number of breweries has increased very much in the city. You will get to know some of the local popular brands and taste the authentic Lithuanian beers.
You will find plenty of bars and pubs in the city that offer a wide range of drinks to travelers. For the best experience, you can visit the nightlife of the city when all of the bars and pubs get crowded with people and serve a variety of drinks.
Vilnius city is very well known around the world for having one of the best architecture and buildings. It was used to be the largest Jewish camp before World War 2, some of the best and old buildings are there along with an old town that was declared by Unesco World Heritage in 1994.
You will be able to visit these places and witness some of these world-famous sites. Apart from famous places, you will be able to do many other outdoor activities in the city. Some of them include trekking, hiking, air balloon tour, bike tour, and many more. You might need to pre-book some of these activities online.
Yoga and Retreats
Do you like to do some yoga when you are traveling to keep your mind calm? Well, you will not be disappointed in this city as there are many different options available for you to do yoga. As the local people of this city prefer to stay healthy and participate in such activities, the city has a lot of options to do yoga.
From one day to a 10-day package along with the training centers in the city. You can take the help of online services to easily get the best yoga service and take a look at the reviews to know details. It will help you to get your energy back and get far from the crowd in this city.
Accommodation is a major factor for travelers that helps them to get stay in the city comfortably and explore the city. Having nice accommodation helps to boost the travel experience in the city. You will be able to find many different options in the city for your stay from 5-star hotels to cheap apartments.
But you need to be extra careful while choosing the accommodation as the position of it will help you to get connected with the city. For example, having good accommodation in the center of the city will help you to get well connected to all the corners. Here are some details are given below about different available accommodation options.
As an eco-friendly traveler, staying at green hotels is a great contribution to the city to help it stay clean and pollution-free. The green hotels are very good at using different methods that help to contain pollution and carbon.
They have different features available just like other hotels such as free wi-fi, parking spot, swimming pool, and others. The green hotels might be a little more expensive compared to the normal ones but staying at them will help the city a lot. Here are some of the best green hotels in the city.
- Green Vilnius Hotel - This is one of the very famous hotels in the city with a 10 story building. This green hotel has a total of 126 rooms along with 3 conference rooms, bars, restaurants, and many others. You will be able to get the best experience of accommodation in this hotel.
- Green Park Hotel Vilnius - This hotel is located in a very nice place which will help you to get connected with all the corners of the city. It is only 6km away from the city center and the service is very good in this hotel. You can book the rooms online from their official website or other websites.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels and guest houses are great options for your accommodation in Vilnius city as they offer cheap prices. If you are planning to stay for a long time in the city, then hostels and guest houses will help you to save a lot of money.
Plenty of options of hostels and guest houses are available in the city from costly to cheap ones. Some of them also offer useful features for travelers like transportation services and others. Make sure to try these popular hostels and guest houses in the city given below.
- Sleep Well Guest House - This guest house is offering its service to customers for a long time now, and you will be able to find the best rooms at a reasonable price. You will be able to book rooms online.
Renting an apartment is very helpful if you want to stay with the local people and get close to their lifestyle. You will be surrounded by many local people and will be able to extend your stay as long as you want without paying a lot for your accommodation as the price of renting an apartment is a lot cheaper compared to hotels and others.
As Vilnius is the capital city of Lithuania and is known for attracting tourists, you will be able to get many different options. You can take the help of online services to book an apartment in the city. It will save your time searching the apartments after coming to the city.
Couchsurfing has always been one of the best options for tourists for their stay in the city. This is a community of travelers that help out other travelers when they are visiting their hometown. They help them out by offering a stay in their house by offering food and others.
You will be able to find a host easily using online websites, who will happily help you out to know more about the city helping you out with all the things in this city. It saves a lot of money and time staying in hotels.
Camping is another very common option for travelers that helps them to get closer to nature while enjoying their stay under the open sky. Staying in the camps is one of the life experiences that helps to do both adventure and witness the beauty of nature.
You will be able to find many camping sites in the city in different locations where you can enjoy your stay and get the best experience of nature. Here are some of the best camping sites that travelers like to visit in Vilnius.
- Downtown Forest Hostel & Camping
- Camping Vilnius City
How to Get There
This is a common question of every traveler before planning their trip to any city. You will need to know every possible way of traveling to Vilnius city and know which one is best for you based on your home city, time of traveling, likes, dislikes, and many different things.
Without any doubt, by air is the best way of traveling to this city as it helps travelers to get to the destination faster, but there are many other ways available to reach the city that take more time but are cheap. Here are some details about all the different options given below to help you choose the best one for you.
As mentioned above, Air is the best way to reach the city as it is the fastest but the price is very high. You will need to book the tickets earlier to get flight tickets at a low price. As Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania, you will be able to get many flights from here, and most of them are well connected with other countries.
No matter which city you are traveling from, you will be able to get a direct flight to this city at Vilnius International Airport. Look at the schedule of the flights before boarding, it will help you to know the departure time of flights.
The bus is the most convenient and pocket-friendly way of traveling in the city. However, you will not be able to get a direct bus from your country to reach the city. If you want to get a bus, you will need to come to Lithuania, then catch a bus to Vilnius. The bus is also well available in the city, and you will be able to get many bus terminals and buses in the city.
Buses are a very frequent and comfortable option to move around the city. If you are traveling from cities in Lithuania, then buses are the best option for you. It might take a bit more time to reach the city, but the fare is cheapest among all the other transportation modes.
While air is the most chosen way by travelers, the train is known to be the second favorite. There are people who prefer trains over flights. If you are traveling from other countries, then you might not be able to get a direct train to this city. You will have to change many trains to reach the city from other countries.
However, if you are traveling from any city in Lithuania, then you will be able to get many trains. The railway in this city is very active and connected. Some of the railway stations in this city are Klaipeda Railway, Turmantas Railway, Kaunas Railway Station. You can take the help of online to buy tickets for the train to confirm your seats.
Hitchhike has been getting a lot of attention from travelers in the last few years. For many people, it is the best way to get to a city and have an adventure. If you are a hitchhiker, then you will be able to get lots of fun while traveling to Vilnius city.
You will get some famous hitchhiking spots to reach the city such as Kaunas, Alytus, and many more. It is one of the best ways to know the local people and get closer to their lifestyle. Lithuanian are known to be friendly, which will help you to get a ride very easily if you are in the right spot at the right time.
Apart from these, there are other options that travelers can choose to reach the city. Some of them are very rare and most people try to avoid them. One of the very common ones is riding motorcycles to the city from other cities in Lithuania. As the city is well connected with other cities, you will not face any problems with your ride to Vilnius.
However, the journey is very time taking and comes with a lot of riding. You will need to ride a lot to reach the city, many people avoid it for this reason, others take it as an adventure and enjoy the road on their way.
You cannot afford to miss a single thing in this city as every building and every street has stories in history. So, you will need to explore the city very carefully to get the best experience. You need to visit all the corners of the city to witness the daily life and traditions of local people.
There are some of the places that are world-famous and people from different countries visit this city to see them. You need to know what is the best way to cover all the beautiful places in the city comfortably. So, here are details about different transportation modes that you can use to travel to the city.
Walking is the best option to move around the city and experience different flavors. Many travelers like to walk around the city as it helps to explore all the different places, and there are many places where only pedestrians are allowed. Walking helps to get closer to the daily life of locals and experience the culture around you.
Also, another advantage of walking is that you will be able to take shortcuts to move faster in a place. These shortcuts will help you to reach your destination faster and connect with different places easily. While walking around the city, make sure to carry an umbrella, glasses, and water with you to stay hydrated.
If you do not want to walk your way around the city, then you can use the cycle as transportation. It is the best eco-friendly and healthy way to travel to the city. You will be taking care of your health by exercising and exploring the city at the same time. Riding a cycle is a great contribution to the nature of this city to reduce transportation pollution.
Renting bicycles is cheaper compared to most of the other modes, and it is widely available throughout the city. You might also get a bicycle from your hotel to tour the city as some hotels provide free renting services. No waiting at traffic or signal will help you to reach your destination without any hassle.
If you want to pick a faster option to explore the city in speed, then vehicles are the best option. But traveling on normal vehicles will increase air pollution and ruin the environment. So, you need to choose electric vehicles that move as fast as fuel cars but run batteries.
It will help you to keep the environment of the city clean and move between famous places faster. There is another thing that can bother you while traveling using a car which is signal and traffic. If you are unlucky, then you might get a lot of traffic. So, make sure to be patient and carry necessary items like water and medicines with you.
Public buses are another very good way of traveling in the city at cheap prices. The availability of buses is very good in this city, you will be able to find many bus terminals in the City. Buses are well connected with the famous attractions of the city. Also, public buses are the best way to witness the daily life of local people.
However, you can get into traffic and signals that can make you wait a long time from reaching your destination. When it comes to fare, the buses are the cheapest option for traveling faster at a very low price. You will be able to get many different bus services available in the city. Mostly, these buses are pretty comfortable and connected to every corner.
Tram, Train and Subway
If you want to move faster in the city without any interruption, then you need to use the train. This is the fastest way of traveling that will help you to reach your destination without any complications. Vilnius contains many railway stations that you can use to catch a local train and tour the city.
Most of the famous attractions are well connected by train, and trains are also very frequent. So, you do not have to wait much for getting the best traveling experience in the city. Trams are not available in the city but metros and many new projects are upcoming to make travel easier.
Sustainable shopping is getting popular all around the world. Compared to local people, travelers are more interested in it, most of the time. It helps them to get good quality items at lower prices and the city to stay clean from waste at the same time. From bags and shoes to clothes, antiques, you will be able to get everything here.
Some rare items and collectibles will help you to increase your collection. Being the capital of the city, this city offers many different markets around. You can visit these shops to purchase a wide range of items. Here are some of the details about the different markets given below.
Food markets are the best option for you if you want to explore the food culture of this city. From spices to all the other ingredients, you will be able to get all of the different items in the markets. Apart from that, you can also chill and lie back while exploring the city in small food stalls.
You will be able to get different kinds of street food stalls available to fill your stomach while traveling the markets. Here are some of the best food markets in the city given below.
- Halle Market - This is one of the busiest food markets in the city that follows old school thinking. Some of the foods that you need to try in this market are pork fat, local bacon, black bread & boney, dried beef sausages, and others. Although most of the vendors do not speak English, they understand it.
- Downtown Food hall & Kino deli - Located in Downtown, this market is known very well for offering dishes like pizza, burger, veg dishes, Asian food, and others. Also, the place offers a cinema and many other entertainments for customers.
Flea markets are the best to shop antiques or collectible items. Many people like to gather a lot of collections and bring memorable items from their trips to their loved ones. Flea markets are responsible for shopping as it helps to reduce waste.
You will come across many markets in this city, but all of them can not be explored in a short time. So, visit these markets given below to have a good flea market experience.
- Kalvariju Market - This is an old market in the heart of this city that was recently renovated is home to antiques, vintage items, jewelry, and many other things. You will be able to get a very good shopping experience in this market.
- Hales Market - This market is known to be the oldest one in the city. The location of this market is very unique; it is situated between the old town and railway station. You will be able to get shoes, clothes, and other things, the other half of the market is used as a food market.
Second Hand Stores
Purchasing second-hand items help to get high-quality items while making the city waste-free. Many travelers aim to buy second-hand items on a trip to help out the local people and reduce the waste of the city. You can get plenty of second-hand shops in the city that offer clothes, shoes, bags, and other things. You need to know where to go to buy these things, here are some of the best second-hand shops in the city given below.
- Humana Vintage - As the name suggests, this place is very well known for selling second-hand products to the customers. Apart from travelers, local people also visit this store to buy clothes, bags, and other accessories. Visit this shop to buy high-quality second-hand items at a reasonable price.
- Besttex - If you are looking for a wide range of second-hand products, then you need to visit this shop. It is one of the best ones in the whole city and very popular for selling quality items.
Eco-fashion is the new trend for most of the country and people are trying to adopt it. As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to buy eco-fashion from this city to both help the local sellers and get high-quality items for yourself.
The city is quite advanced and well adopted with eco-fashion, you will be able to find many shops that sell eco-fashion to customers. Purchasing this will help the city to stay out of any waste and pollution. The price of these clothes and accessories are quite affordable.
Recycling is one of the major factors in every city to keep it clean and free of pollution. Compared to past times, Vilnius has taken many different steps to recycle the wastes.
The municipality and other companies have started many initiatives in the past few years to keep the city clean and reduce waste. Waste collection of different things like paper, plastic, and clothes has been taken care of and the recycling process started, which improved the city a lot.
Along with recycling things, waste management has taken a big step towards taking care of the city. You will be able to see many different color dustbins throughout the city. You can dump all the food waste, plastic, and others in separate color dustbins, which helps the officials to know which are recyclable products and which are waste. The waste is used to make different materials or things instead of using a landfill.
Work and Study Abroad
Apart from the rich history, this city is very well known around the world for offering a good education. Students from different countries visit this city to pursue their higher studies and improve their knowledge.
There are many universities that offer different study methods and benefits to foreign students. You can study here at a very low price as the living and studying cost is quite affordable. Make sure to check the courses before applying to these universities.
Exchange students are a very helpful way for students to get higher education in a foreign country without paying anything extra. However, you will need to get nominated among all the students of your home institution. If you get nominated, you can choose any of the universities that have a partnership with your home university in Vilnius and study by just paying the normal college fee. You can check online which universities offer exchange student benefits.
If you are new to the city visiting for a job or study purpose and want to earn some money, find shelter, and get some food in the initial stage, then you can take the help of Au Pair. It is one of the most demanded jobs around the world. You will be able to find many people in Vilnius online, who are searching for Au Pair jobs to look after a baby or any elder person. Also, it helps to improve your communication skills and get along with locals.
Volunteering is one of the best ways to contribute to the city and keep the city as wonderful as it is. You can help the people in the city to keep this historical place intact by doing different volunteering jobs like keeping the historical places clean, helping out the guides, teaching English to local people. Along with the city, it will also help you to brush up[ your local language and learn the lifestyle of these locals.