Eco-friendly travel guide to Baku advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 2 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 2 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 2.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$10 - $150
- Budget per day: US$120 - $500
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
When you travel to Baku, you will want to get the best experience out of your travel to be worth all the money you spend. In the current scenario, you must follow various eco-friendly measures and participate actively in protecting our earth. To have a fantastic trip, you need to travel responsibly. Responsible travel refers to traveling in such a way that your actions don't cause any harm to the local communities or the environment. Here are some tips and advice that you can choose to follow accordingly to help you travel responsibly and get the best out of your trip.
- You should make use of public transport. The next thing that you need to keep in mind while traveling in the city of Baku is to minimize your carbon footprint. The carbon footprint refers to the number of greenhouse gases released into the local environment by your activities. If you want to travel to Baku's city in the best way possible, you need to avoid any activities that will harm the local environment for instance avoid using plastic containers.
- After landing in the city, you will want to stay at a 5-star hotel with a good reputation and luxury facilities. Instead, it would be best if you prefer an eco-hotels, hostels, guest houses, and apartments to get the right amount of exposure to the local culture. But, in reality, these hotels are not the best choice if you are a foreign tourist as they will provide you with world-class facilities but will fail to give you proper exposure to the local culture.
- Your responsible travel measures need to start way before you visit the country. After booking your flight, you need to do extensive research about the current country scenario, the culture, things you need to avoid, and the laws you have to follow as a tourist. If you ignore this vital step, you will be clueless about your environment and not get the best experience.
- Suppose you want to get a close picture of the culture and livelihood of the local people. In that case, you need to avoid visiting international brands like McDonald's, K.F.C, Starbucks, 7-Eleven, H&M, Sephora, etc., as you can find them in your city. It would be best if you prefer visiting and buying from local businesses as they will give you deep insights into the lives of the people and their traditions and culture. It will also help in supporting the local economy and small businesses usually have a sustainable business model as opposed to these international big businesses.
Air Quality and Pollution
As a tourist, you must keep this in mind when visiting the city and taking precautionary steps accordingly. After all, health is wealth. Air quality and pollution plays an important role while visiting a new city. The monsoon season is also relentless and could contribute to increased pollution levels because the suspended particles tend to hang on in the heavy atmosphere. However, one thing that should be kept in mind is that the city has an average air quality. People love to make inquiries before they visit any city as they would not want to compromise their health despite having fun during the holiday.
With over 24 million people and high tourism rates, the city is one of the country's leading pollutant cities. While traveling, you will have to follow various measures to save your body from pollution. If you have any health issues relating to respiration, you will need to follow extra caution to avoid getting sick during your trip. Make sure to pack your medicines and their prescription letter to take with you to the city of Baku.
Therefore, it would be better to visit the city during the summer months when the climate is good. The humidity levels are also low if you plan for a long trip or visit the city as a tourist, with average air quality. It could lead to breathing problems, burning and itchy eyes, and other such complications. The air is fresh and crisp at this time of the year, and you will enjoy bike rides and walking in the city quite a lot.
Respect the Culture
It is not out of place that one of the first things you would hear when visiting a new place is that you should respect the culture if you want to flow well with the locals. However, some people might be lost if they do not know the traditions of the city.
Custom requires people to reciprocate with a gift of equal value. The city of Baku culture is a blend of Austronesian, Japanese and Western culture. Because Azerbaijan never experienced Communist oppression, visitors can witness traditional religious practices and ancient customs that have disappeared from the mainland. As a consequence, Azerbaijan is sometimes said to be more Baku than Azerbaijan while at the same time being much more. If you are having lunch with your local friends, then it is proffered if everyone pays for what they ordered or can offer to pay for everyone if you are hosting. Do not wait for others to pay your bill and always offer to pay for your own food.
If this city is your chosen city for a holiday, have no fear as we would give you some tips on respecting their culture. You should know that the people of this city love it when the atmosphere is relaxed. Thus, they would not jump into any business topic. Always talk about something simple and allow the host to start the conversation. You must show respect towards the local communities, landmarks, culture, and local environment. By indulging in cultural or recreational activities, you can learn a great deal about the city's culture and history.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Maiden Tower: It is a famous monument in the city of Baku, Azerbaijan. It was constructed in the 15th century. It is a popular historic building in the city of Baku. It is located in the old city, Baku, Azerbaijan. The height of the complex is 29.5m that is 97 feet.
- Icherisheher: It is the inner city of Baku. As the most ancient part of the city there is a lot to explore. The historical parts, the food, the culture. You will experience the true essence of the city by visiting Icherisheher.
- Heydar Aliyev Centre: Heydar Aliyev Centre is the cultural center in the city of Baku, Azerbaijan. It has a conference hall and a museum as well. It is well known for its contemporary design which was done by Heydar Aliyev Centre. It was constructed in the year 1969-1982.
- The Palace of the Shrinivanshahs: The Palace of the Shrinivanshahs was built in the 15th century. UNESCO described it as "one of the pearls in the Azerbaijani architecture". There is evidence that it was used as a ruler's palace as well. For all the history buffs this place is must visit and even if you are into architecture, you will find this Palace very intriguing.
- Yanar Dag: Yanar Dag is the fired place. The natural gas fire causes it. The natural gas fire blazes on the hill near the sea continuously. It basically belongs to the Absheron District.
- Dənizkənarı Milli Park: A park that has a history over 100 years. Essentially a boulevard built to connect oilfields is now one of the main attractions of the city. It is also the perfect place to hangout and near to a lot of other attractions.
- Flame Towers: Flame Towers is the building tower in the city of Baku, Azerbaijan. At a height of 182m that is 597 feet. It is shaped in three flares shooting from the earth. It has 250 rooms and 60 apartments in it.
- Azerbaijan Carpet Museum: The Azerbaijan carpet museum is a little heaven for carpet lovers and art collectors. You can look at thousands of different traditional carpets that are made with using different weaving styles. These carpets are made locally. It is definitely a place worth visiting and is also a huge part of the Azerbaijani culture. These carpets are made locally.
- Fevvareler Meydani: Fevvareler Meydani is basically a pedestrian zone in the city of Baku, Azerbaijan. It is a fountain square and also known as a parapet. The parapet is the oldest name of the pedestrian zone in the city of Baku.
- Atashgah Zoroastrian Fire Temple: It is a temple in the city of Baku, Azerbaijan. The Baku city Ateshgah is sometimes often called the fire temple of Baku. It was built in the 18th century. It is the medium of the workshop for the local people in the city of Baku.
The city has many things to offer apart from the many historical and culturally renowned places. The various parks, beaches, museums, and landmarks will help you get deep insights into the local culture and its beauty. People say that all work and no play would make one dull. This city ensures that it has places that play roles in calming and relaxing the mind. Thus, it is not surprising that people always want to visit this city.
The local temples buzz with hopeful prayers, the wooden boards of cultural mansions creak under the feet of visitors, while the treasures in the National Palace Museum date back 500 years. From the heirlooms of a tea merchant to the memories of a cemetery for the White Terror victims, Baku is a city that takes great pride in celebrating its history, the triumphant and the tragic. There is so much to do in this city, so tourists should have a schedule plan ready so that activities will not be jumbled.
The city is big, and it has a big collection of parks and other such places. It has big open spaces and greeneries where you can spend time with your children and other family members. The views are one thing you cannot take away from parks.
Here are some famous city parks in the city:
- Central Park: It is only a few remaining intact portions of the rich indigenous forest that once extended over much of greater in the city. This is a green space northeast of the city center. City Park is endowed with a rich diversity of mammals (notably the Sykes monkey), over 100 different kinds of birds, rich natural vegetation, abundant insect life, and numerous reptiles and amphibians.
- Fuzuli Park: The nature trail is part of the indigenous Fuzuli park that is also home to the Institute of Primate Research. The institute is run by the National Museums that established the Fuzuli Nature Trail in part of the forest, providing a refreshing environment away from the city’s hustle and bustle.
- Port Baku Park: The main attraction at Port Baku Park in Baku, a 54-acre farm, is the Port Baku Park in Azerbaijan situated near the river in the city of Baku with their entrance screened by an impressive cascading Paradise Lost waterfall in the country.
- Winter Park: Winter Park is a huge space where you can walk and relax if you are tired of your daily routine. It is well-groomed and has been renovated to be more attractive and impressive than ever. It is one of the famous parks in the city of Baku.
The country has always been famous for its beautiful and graceful natural resources, and so that this city has a wonderful collection of national parks and a zoo. We are listing down a few of them that may not exactly be located in and around the city but are not very far away from the city.
Here are some famous and attractive national parks in the city:
- Philharmonic Park: It is an essential national feature of Baku's city that homes a wide variety of animals such as elephants, big cats, yaks, deers, etc. The park covers about 153 hectares of area and is best to be explored by foot or safari buses. You can find the zoo in the city of Baku and is worth the trip and time.
- Absheron National Park: It is one of the biggest parks in the city of Baku that sits in the District. You will find that they welcome a smaller number of visitors, unlike other parks located far from the city. The Absheron National Park is an ideal place for nature lovers where you can spot a wide variety of flora and fauna living and prospering in their natural habitats.
- Baku Zoological Park: Baku Zoological Park is a popular national feature that consists of various courtyards, towers, pools, bridges, lodges, waterways, flowering trees, gardens, and landscape woodlands. It is a must-visit place that will provide you with an enlightening experience. The garden homes a wide variety of flora that attract a lot of locals and tourists.
The city of Baku is famous for its beautiful and stunning beaches. There are dozens of big and tiny beaches, and it may not be possible to list down every one of them. Some of the beautiful and best beaches in the city are listed below:
- Shikhov Beach: It is a luxurious beach area in Baku's city in Azerbaijan that offers beautiful white sand from Hainan province. This beach is a great place where you can enjoy some peaceful time while getting some fresh air that isn't polluted. You will find fewer crowds on weekdays than on the weekends as the locals like to visit the water park with their families and friends.
- Crescent Beach: It is a human-made beach south of the Bund in the city of Baku. It is a great place to lose Baku's crowded and busy streets and get some peaceful time by yourself or with your friends or family. The beach offers reclining beach furniture with umbrellas where you can get your tan on while enjoying the Bund and surrounding areas' stunning views.
- Bilgah Beach: Another human-made beach in Baku's city gives a good beach vibe and access to the sea where you can swim, sunbathe, stroll, and catch crabs. It gets crowded in the summers as it is the only proper beach near the city, and the locals like to visit the beach on weekends to relax and rejuvenate their bodies and minds.
- Amburan Beach: It is the most popular beach in Baku that shares its name with the city neighborhood. It is usually bustling with tourists and is the most crowded beach. There are many restaurants and cafes nearby that serve fresh seafood. You can indulge in various water sports as well as windsurfing, kite-surfing, swimming, etc.
The city of Baku also has its share of memorable landmarks and monuments. You must try and visit as many as you possibly can. While the list is quite long, we are mentioning a few of them for our readers' benefit.
- Martyrs’ Alley
- Nizami Street
- Highland Park
Visiting museums would be the icing on your holiday package, especially if you are in this city, as it shows that you have adequately explored the city.
Here are some of these museums given are as follows:
- The National Museum Of History Of Azerbaijan: It is built as a testimony to the city was an essential part of the artist's life. The museum showcases some of the artist's rare and early works that depict his relationship with the city of Baku. It is located in the region that is open to the general public from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. with an entry fee starting from 7p.
- Azerbaijan State Museum Of Art: It is a famous museum located in the old town. The building is quite old and was built in 1710. However, it was converted into a museum only in 1974 and is just around 46 years old. You will love the museum to display prehistoric items that were a part of the country's history and times during those points in time.
- Azerbaijan State Museum Of Musical Culture: Also known as the National Museum, you will have many reasons to love this museum. The national museum stands for puppets in the local language. You will find a reasonably big collection of wooden puppets and puppets made from calfskin. You will find puppets not only from Azerbaijan but also from many other countries in the world. It is an important landmark also for Baku.
You will find that the locals prefer to eat healthy and nutritious food with lots of vegetables and meat. Apart from these traditional and modern cuisines, the local street food is a must-try one that will leave your mouth lingering with their flavors. You will find that vegetarian, and non-vegetarian dishes are popular, and you will not find much trouble conveying your food preferences. Here are some famous local restaurants, vegetarian and vegan, and street foods are given below.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Here are some famous local restaurants which serve their authentic traditional foods are given below:
- Dolma Restaurant
- Sehrli Tender
- Mugam Club
- Firuze Restaurant
- Cay Bagi 145
Vegetarian and Vegan
Sometimes the habits of two people are different. Thus, everyone does not have the same eating habit or love the same pattern when it concerns food choices. If you are a vegetarian, you do not need to worry when you are in this city as there are many restaurants to attend to your needs. With these places, you will get to enjoy traditional meals properly with your regular choices.
Some of these vegan restaurants are:
- Maharani Indian Restaurant: You will love this place for various types of take-out vegan food items, Chinese, and other types of vegetarian ad vegan food items.
- Cafecity 28: It is a part of an international chain of vegan restaurants. It has been conceived and created by followers. It is home to almost all types of vegan food and non-alcoholic beverages, coffee, and different types of vegan desserts.
- Cafe City Five: It is a completely vegan-friendly restaurant and serves various international, organic, western, delivery, and fast food items at reasonable prices.
Different cities have various food they classify as street food. Suppose you are a street food enthusiast and would want to try some in this city. You know those foods you can easily get at the roadside without the need for a fancy restaurant—those classified as street food. The preparation time for them does not take long, and it is something you can eat on the go. One thing about street food is that you can try out varieties at the same time.
- Gutab: Gulab is the pancake stuffed with different types of stuffing such as cheese, chicken, meat, and spinach. It is the most popular among the local people. The stuffing is wrapped into a thin layer of dough made up of wheat of refined one. The dough is basically made up of flour, salt, eggs, water, etc. The dough is shaped in patties and roasted from both sides.
- Tandir Bread: Tender bread is basically a kind of bread which is very soft and fluffy. It is very tasty and delicious. It is very famous and available at a very affordable cost.
- Kebab: Kebab is basically a barbecue type dish. There are various types of kebabs, such as meat kebab, chicken kebab, the fish kebab. It is very delicious and flavourful. A similar kind of dish is named Gyula. It is prepared from the minced chicken or meat, specifically the fatty part of the chicken meat. It is available at a very affordable cost.
- Grill Toyug: Grill Toyug is basically grilled chicken. The chicken is cooked on the small stove, which rotates. The chicken is marinated first with the spices and then grilled on the stove. It smells is very delicious.
There is no doubt that the local people love to drink regularly, especially on special occasions with friends and family. There are many local alcoholics and non-alcoholic beverages that you can see in the local cafés, restaurants, bars, and pubs in 09Baku. These drinks will help you understand the significance and increasing popularity amongst the locals. Here are some beverages that you can try while exploring the city. You have dozens of big, small, and medium-sized bars to choose from. You can enjoy almost all types of drinks that you get in any good western restaurant and bar.
People in Azerbaijan love to drink, especially at gatherings and special occasions. The locals are simple and laid-back ones that prefer enjoying the time they have. Azerbaijan is the third-largest producer of wine in the world. The city offers a wide variety of wines from the different areas of the country.
Even the water that is available in hotels and street-side food joints may be safe to drink. Hence, carrying bottled water is also a good suggestion. Unlike many Western countries, tap water may not be safe to drink, but the locals do drink after boiling it. Water is stable even to the small majority who have a direct connection to tapped water. Different areas of the city receive water on specific days of the week, some for a few days and others for just a few hours.
The city also has a desalinization plant set up to reduce the level of salts in the water but can only meet 20% of the city's demand. Drinking water is also available in plastic bottles and tastes better than tap water but is not harmful to the local environment and costly.
For those who prefer healthier foods and are more on the conscious side, organic cafes and restaurants are ideal places to detox your body. These places serve vegetarian and vegan dishes with 100% organic ingredients that are quite mouth-watering and pocket friendly. The city has stood up to catering for all population segments, including those with a preference for organic foods. Since some people would prefer to eat organic, it is not out of place to have organic cafes in different cities. While they are not as obvious as the mainstream restaurants, the city has several organic eateries:
- Baku Roasting Company
- Coffee Moffie
- Kibrit Book Café
If you love alcoholic drinks, you will have a swell time in the city as there are many fabulous options for you. For those who prefer healthier foods and are more on the conscious side, organic cafes and restaurants are ideal places to detox your body. These places serve vegetarian and vegan dishes with 100% organic ingredients that are quite mouth-watering and pocket friendly. Have a look at some of its breweries:
- The Brewery Pub
- The Jazz Club
- Bavaria Pub And Grill
- Barfly Social Hub
The museums and art exhibitions are always there for you to explore, making you appreciate art. Even if you are not a lover of artwork, something in you will be compelled when you see them.
The city is best known for its art and culture in tourism, and it has many places to explore. These activities will not only help you create a memorable time in the city but will also make your heart race. These activities are the best way to experience the local culture and be a part of it. You may even come across hidden gems of the culture and make your trip even more fantastic than you planned. However, this is not the case for people who wish to visit the city as there is always something to do. Foreigners hate getting bored when in a new city, so you would see those seeking locals' recommendations. If there is not much to do in a city, then what is the point of visiting there.
You should make friends with the locals to have an epic experience in the city.
Yoga and Retreats
You will find that young people are the ones that like to participate in such fitness exercised. There are many yoga institutes in the city where you can train under a qualified and experienced yoga teacher. With increasing awareness of the need for a healthy and fit lifestyle, the local people are gaining interest in yoga, an ancient Indian practice for maintaining the health of mind and body.
Some of the renowned yoga centers are as follows:
- Alala Yoga
- Shebaku Fitness
- Soham School Of Yoga
We would not say that accommodation in this city is cheap, neither would we say that it is expensive. The price you would get depends on your accommodation option. It may not be as low as what you would get in some cities, but it is not the most expensive in the world. With this clear, we know that the next question concerns the pricing as people want to know to plan their budget.
The city has many options when it comes to accommodation, so foreigners are not stranded. These accommodation options range from hotels to apartments, and much more. There are many hotels, hostels, and guest houses that offer various rooms according to your budget's affordability. These places help the tourists to have a comfortable and convenient stay in the city of Baku. There are many green hotels, camping sites, and couch-surfing hosts that offer accommodation at much cheaper rates and are ideal for those with a tight budget.
You can either make accommodation plans when you are in the city or before you arrive. It would be best to do whatever works best for you.
Many foreigners fail to realize that they have a role to play in protecting the environment, and it does not matter if it is your place of origin or not. If you are an environmental enthusiast, we know that you would search for green hotels in the city to ensure that you have an eco-friendly stay in the city. You should play a role in any place you find yourself.
Here are some of the green hotels in the city given below:
- Green City: It is another eco-friendly hotel that offers different affordable accommodation options according to their guests' budget. It is located on the main street in Baku and follows specific measures to reduce their impact on the environment, such as solar panels and LED lighting.
- Nine Hotel: Located outside the city, that has earned the tag of a 100% eco-friendly hotel. Situated in the main area, it uses locally produced bio-fuels to recycle the collected rainwater. The beds and mattresses in the rooms are made using natural and sustainable wood sourced materials.
- Ayf Palace Hotel Baku: Located in a prime location near the city beach, it is a luxurious but sustainable hotel. The hotel uses measures to reduce water wastage in rooms, LED lighting with motion sensors to reduce energy consumption, and green packaging for meetings. It is ideal for people who prefer enjoying 5-star luxury without a guilty conscience.
- Holiday Inn Baku: The hotel promotes sustainable tourism in the city of Baku. It is located in the district and offers various rooms according to its guests' affordability. It has also awarded a Class A building certificate for using a thermal insulation system and a smart climate-control system with efficient lighting and machinery.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Here are some comfortable and affordable guesthouses as well as hostels in the city. They are given below:
- Travel Inn Hostel
- Nizami Street Hostel
- Khazar Guest House
- Capital Hostel In Baku
Hotels are often the number one choice for tourists as they are usually cheaper and convenient, but tourists visiting the city for a longer time should always prefer renting out an apartment. There are many affordable apartment options for tourists. A lot of these places are located near the prime locations and are the best ones to rent. Before renting out an apartment, inspect the site properly and get reviews from the other residents.
Apartments are usually cheaper when rented with a group of friends. A new concept called 'Aparthotel' has started gaining popularity in the city of Baku. It is a small apartment within a hotel ideal for families and groups. These apartments have an en-suite kitchen with the required appliances and utensils.
There is an online community known as couchsurfing.com, and if you are a part of it, you will be able to come across dozens of CouchSurfing mates and companions. The perk of Couchsurfing is that it is free. As a foreigner, you do not need to pay your host. However, it is your responsibility to be respectful and abide by the laws of the city. It is a new concept but has taken off quite well in the city.
The idea surrounding Couchsurfing is that locals of the city offer hospitality by opening their homes to foreigners. It is usually voluntary so that there will be no complaints. Thus, anyone who signs up to accommodate people through Couchsurfing is expected to treat them right as they were not forced to do it.
Campers describe the experience as exciting, and it lures those who have never been camping before. It helps you meet new people, and you get to do things you have never done before. If you a lover of nature and the outdoors, we know that you would wish to experience camping in whatever form when you are in a new city.
There are few better ways to rest, relax, and reinvigorate than to get back to nature for a dose of the inimitable joys the great outdoors offers. And among the best ways to do this is camping. Baku's main island and many offshore islands possess all requisite ingredients for high-quality experiences, a moderate climate, natural splendors in singular abundance, and diversity considering the city's comparatively small size, amazes many international visitors get out of the towns and easy access to quality sites.
The thing with camping is that there are particular areas for it; else, the whole purpose is defeated. Thus, it is right to know about camping sites.
- Super Cozy Container Home
- Consultant For Individual Tours
- Unforgettable Day
How to Get There
Most people traveling from other countries prefer airways as it is the best option for reaching the city of Baku and saves a lot of time. Tourists and local people can book the tickets using their online services of various transportation services to reach the destination smoothly without any complications. Here are some options for transportation and details about them, which will help you know what type suits you best. This is one of the most important things that the tourist needs to know before planning a trip, which is the best way to reach the destination within the shortest time and at an affordable price. As a tourist, you need to know every single detail about the different transporting options in the city you are traveling to. One can get other options like airways, railways, cars, trams, buses, etc.
Azerbaijan is well connected by air. It has two airports that are Heydar Aliyev International Airport and Sheraton Baku Airport. It is located about 12 kilometers away from the city center. The airport serves over 50 million passengers every year and is considered the busiest airport in the country. It offers many international and domestic flights to various major cities.
There are very frequent departures, some 24-hour operations on the west coast, with midweek and late-evening discounts. Most companies serve the same west-coast routes. Buses are reliable, cheap, and comfortable. Some companies offer large, cozy airplane-style reclining seats. Reservations are advisable on weekends and holidays. The bus terminuses are chaotic, and you may have to take some local help to determine which bus to choose for your requirements. This is because the intercity bus terminus is located around one hour from the city. The city has reasonably advanced local bus transport services, but intercity bus services are not very comfortable.
Baku's central railway station is the Khirdalan railway station, the most crucial transportation hub. It provides regional, inter-city, national, and even international destination trains. This public mode of transport is quite popular amongst the locals as a cheap and convenient mode. The railway station also includes a metro line and a tram line used daily by locals and tourists to reach different city areas.
While the locals are quite friendly and hospitable and hitchhiking is a common practice in many parts of the world, it is not common to encounter hitchhikers in Baku. Hitchhiking is very much in vogue in the city, but you have to be careful when choosing the right person.
Azerbaijan is a straightforward place to hitchhike. Hitchhiking is not a common way for locals to travel except when returning to town from the mountains, but there's almost zero fear of hitchhikers, and many locals are happy to help. There is a common perception that hitchhiking is only easy for women and foreigners, but it appears not true. Local people are amiable and usually very honest. Waiting times to hitch are short, and people often don't mind driving a bit further than the place where they needed to be.
Most drivers are naturally wary of picking up strangers, fearing carrying robbers and carjackers. While there are exceptional cases of drivers who would be okay with offering one a lift, most of them would not, especially when driving at night.
A hectic journey is not a very good start on tour, so it is better to stick with the option of flight or train. You can also book a cab to travel from other cities to Baku. Most people avoid these options because they are both time taking and costly. You can always reach the city by the road having 4 wheels or two wheels. It will take you a lot of time, but you will need a lot of time compared to other options to reach your destination. There are many other transport options available to you if you are traveling from the cities in Baku or other countries.
Private transport consists of motor scooters, private cars, taxi cabs, and bicycles. These modes of transportations are efficient in helping you move around the city and discover the city's hidden gems. Motor-scooters often weave between cars and occasionally through oncoming traffic. The Station serves as the comprehensive hub for the subway, bus, conventional rail, and high-speed rail. If you wish to travel, then the best option at your disposal is public transports such as subway trains, available buses, and electronic vehicles. Walking is an alternative mode of moving around but is the healthiest and cheapest mode.
Despite numerous attempts to decongest the city, including increasing the parking cost in town and banning public service vehicles from accessing certain parts of the town center, the streets have continued to be congested. Away from the city and into the residential suburbs boasts of many trees along many avenues that provide shade and fresh air as you stroll along.
Whether you prefer a more natural setting or prefer to take in the sights, these are the best places for walking in the city. Baku's sprawling metropolis may feel endless, but the city is located in a giant basin and is surrounded by mountains. Walking is the most eco-friendly means of transport but also because of the traffic jam. As the city has rapidly grown, Baku has become known for its unending traffic jams.
If you cannot travel long distances by walking, you can use an electronic or mechanical bicycle to cover up distances faster. Bicycles are friendly to the environment and your travel budget. You can easily find bike renting stores in almost every district of Baku city.
Azerbaijan is nowhere near decreasing it's pollution rates. The government promotes electronic vehicles by setting up various charging stations and parking areas for such cars. The users of electronic cars and bikes also receive relaxation for taxes. You can easily find many electronic vehicle stores in Baku, but you may need to make a booking to ensure that you can get a vehicle on the day of your travel.
Public buses in the country are the cheapest mode of moving around the city of Baku. These buses are a standard mode of transportation for the locals and are entirely safe for tourists. You can use public buses to travel to different city areas and gain some useful information from the locals on the bus.
Tram, Train and Subway
Presently, there is only one tram network in Baku that covers an area of 10 kilometers in the distance. It is an excellent way of moving around the city and exploring the local culture, heritages, and landmarks.
Two railway stations in the city of Baku serve the locals and tourists for moving around the city. These railway networks are some of the fastest ways of moving around the town and getting some beautiful city views.
The metro system in Baku is one of the biggest networks for metro trains in the World. It is the fastest mode of moving around the city and is the most popular public transport for working-class people and students. The metro trains can help you reach any part of the city with ease and safety.
A tour of a place is never complete without having good shopping. Eco-friendly sustainable stores that promote zero-waste are increasing rapidly in the city, and many locals are tying hearse products. It helps to give you the best experience and witness the culture up close. As an eco-friendly traveler, try eco-friendly shops such as recycled or send hand items. You will be able to get many different local shops that sell traditional items. Make sure to buy from the local shops to support them and help them make a living.
There are many shops and markets in this city that will help you to get recycled items at a reasonable price. You will be able to get some branded eco-friendly stores too in Baku city. Here are the details about these stores that will help you get from bamboo toothbrushes to recycled furniture.
Although night markets are traditionally a local phenomenon, Baku's scene has grown to be considered one of the world's best. Baku's night markets initially began as informal vendor meetings, where merchants would get together and sell their wares. These groupings eventually turned into more formal food markets. Roaming the food markets is always good, as you will be able to get close to the locals and learn about different cooking and eating ingredients. For many travelers, food is one of the necessary things in travel as it helps to understand the lifestyle of local people.
These markets are better options as they are relatively cheaper and better sources than the frozen and preserved food in the supermarkets and departmental stores. Some of the food markets also have some food stalls filled with delicious local foods.
- Yasll Bazar Green Market
- Taza Bazaar
- Nasimi Bazaar
Shopping with a twist is always very good for the tourists, and they often look for flea markets wherever they go. There are numerous markets throughout the metropolitan city, including the famous night markets and traditional wet markets for fish and fresh produce and fish markets, flower, jade, craft, and antique markets. You can find these markets fill with handmade products and represent the local culture and people. These markets are run by local people and the best places to find local art and craft items.
- Sabunche Flea Market
- Re: Flea Market
- The Russian Market
Second Hand Stores
These stores are some of the most common places for shopping for lower-income groups and budgeted travelers. These markets consist of local businesses and people that sell second-hand products that are reusable. These stores are some of the most common places for shopping for lower-income groups and budgeted travelers. These stores sell second-hand products that possess the potential for reuse. Small independent second-hand stores are popping up almost everywhere in the city.
- Second Hand Baku
- Memi Second-Hand Store
If you want to try some eco-friendly fashions that will help you stay healthy in the city and make the city safe, you can try many options available in the city. These shops promote zero waste and recycling that helps to keep the environment safe.
You will find that eco-fashion is a viral trend among these people. Many models and brands serve such clothing items, which is why it is gaining a lot of popularity. The country is famous for handicrafts and other homemade items that are green, organic, and eco-friendly.
Armed with ground-breaking technology and valuable manufacturing in Baku are positioning themselves as sustainable fashion hubs of the future.
The government encourages its residents to recycle by only allowing garbage to be disposed of in blue bags. These bags must be purchased and increase in cost as the size increases. In Baku’s one of the largest city there are more than 4,000 pickup spots five nights a week, with mobile apps that let users track the trucks and alert them whenever a garbage truck is nearby. These trucks are followed by open-bed recycling trucks. People hurry out of their homes when they hear the music and toss their garbage into the trucks, based on general refuse, raw food waste, cooked food waste, and other categories, including plastic and paper.
You will find many recycling stores in various districts where you can take your recyclable waste and get it appropriately recycled. It is not a perfect system, but improvements and the dialogue about this mean there is hope.
The city of Baku has become a global leader in recycling, with one of the world's highest recycling rates! The country manages to recycle more than 50% of its municipal waste and is thereby only a little bit behind the world’s leading nation for recycling.
Changing the behavioral habits of these groups will be instrumental in the success of recycling efforts. Residents pay handsomely without really knowing where the waste will end up. While exploring and traveling, make sure to use these containers and vehicles to dispose of the waste properly, or you can get into trouble for violating the laws and environment.
Many wastes are polluting the sea and making it hard for sea creatures to survive. Also, these wastes are slowly polluting the whole earth. So, many countries and different cities have started to take care of the environment by recycling things.
The reuse and recycling levels ranged at about one percent for organics, eight percent for paper waste, five percent of plastic waste, 100 percent of reusable metal scrap, and an unknown part of glass recycled. Uncollected solid waste is one of Baku’s most visible environmental problems. Improper solid waste management to the environment, recycling has not caught on, particularly in middle- and high-income areas where recycled products generate income proportionately too minimal to consider pursuing seriously.
Due to limited space and a dense population, there is little land for waste disposal. The policies based on reducing quantity, processing of resources, and pluralistic processing were adopted to solve this waste disposal problem. With the Trash Per-bag Fee Collection policy, the quantity of garbage was reduced by64.14%, and the resource-recycling rate increased to 64.42%. Recycling of kitchen waste is also promoted to reduce the quantity of garbage further.
Almost all waste that is generated is dumped in a major landfill. The government has also provided multiple incentives to people following various recycling waste measures and saving natural resources. It is not the most eco-friendly place and does not have sustainable garbage disposable, but it is definitely better than some other countries.
Work and Study Abroad
There are major stock exchanges in the city that are many decades old and hold a lot of significance to the current world economy. All you need to do to get admission is to apply to the various institutions and meet their requirements. The education system is one of the best, and you will learn a lot about the culture, history, heritage, and people.
If you plan on taking up employment in Baku, then the matter of work permits typically needs to be taken care of even before you apply for a resident visa. Legally, no foreigner can start a job in the country without a work permit. Which authority you have to turn to to get your work permit depends on the type of permit. While most expatriates have to contact the Ministry of Labor, those who want to start working in one of the country's many science parks will have to apply with the respective park administration.
Azerbaijan holds a lot of significance as it is the financial center of the World. The city attracts thousands of students from other neighboring countries, especially those who wish to receive the local education style.
Although most exchange students who come to the city are from neighboring countries, some take part in other faraway countries. Shortly, the exchange student concept is set to grow more and have an outstanding impact on Baku's educational system. Exchange student study is getting more and more popular in Baku, as many students are deciding to go to the city for higher study. There are many exchange student opportunities that are there in the city for students to choose from. There is a specific semester in the city that is getting famous and inviting students from other countries.
Azerbaijan has an outstanding higher education system that provides opportunities for international students to study a wide variety of subjects. The diversity of accredited programs offered by universities and the focus on innovative research make Baku an appealing destination for international students. You can choose from over twenty universities and study your favorite discipline at any degree level. Baku is home to universities' campuses and Academia Baku's national academy, which supports the International Graduate Program.
The city of Baku has many multinational corporations that attract many foreigners, but it also has some of the region's best universities. Every year, these universities attract many international students from all over the world. You will live with a host family in most cases. Every year, these universities attract many international students from all over the world.
The best chance to stay with some is if they like your company as a foreigner and let you in. The couple helps the family members in education and career to help them build a better life with lots of potentials. You will hardly find an Au Pair or a family participating in such activities as they are accustomed to managing by themselves or with the help of their close relatives or neighbors.
Working as an au pair in the city is an ideal experience for someone looking to live in a foreign country, adapt to a new culture and language, and form a close relationship with a host family that you will live with and work with. As an au pair, you will typically be responsible for full-time childcare, as well as other household tasks, such as tutoring, cooking, and cleaning.
This is one of the best options for students and foreigners to stay in the city. People who are planning to stay in the city from different countries can take the help of the au pair in the initial stage to earn money and get shelter. This is a good accommodation option available for tourists also. Au pairing is a relatively new concept in countries where a foreign couple helps out a family meet their responsibilities and manage a household. Maybe if you reach out to a few local people, they will help you navigate and get you in touch with people interested in the idea, and you can stay with a host family like that.
Obviously, in a city of this size, there are plenty of issues to tackle. You can do your bit for society by volunteering for various endeavors, especially by NGOs and service groups.
Many volunteering organizations in Baku, Azerbaijan, are fighting to resolve various cultural, environmental, and social problems such as violence against women and children, child labor, animal protection, environment protection, humanitarian rights, etc.
In Baku, that would probably welcome the help and probably not ask questions about your immigration status, mostly unpaid work. Still, it is essential to know the legal aspects. Volunteering is one of the best ways to keep the city clean and get to know the local people very well. You will also get help to get your language skill up one notch.