Eco-friendly travel guide to Batam advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Batam, Indonesia.
- Air quality: X.X / 5
- Exploring by foot: X.X / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: X.X / 5
- Public transportation: X.X / 5
- Parks: X.X / 5
- Outdoor activities: X.X / 5
- Locals' English level: X.X / 5
- Safety: X.X / 5
- Accommodation: US$XX - $XX
- Budget per day: US$XX - $XX
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Batam is among the largest cities in the province of Riau, Indonesia. The city area covers three main islands of Galang, Rempang, and Batam. Batam is a transport hub, an industrial point and part of a free trade zone in the Indonesia–Malaysia–Singapore growth triangle.
If you are looking for a fantastic weekend break to Indonesia, then Batam is the place where you can enjoy a vast range of activities far more cheaply than in many other parts of southeast Asia. Batam has limited historical sites, but you will find several resorts, spas, restaurants, and cafes. The nightlife here is lively with a good range of choices in case you need some entertainment.
Another reason that makes Batam interesting is the availability of scuba diving opportunities. The waters here are still, clear and visibility is excellent if you want to explore the underwater kingdoms. No matter the place that you are visiting, caring for your surroundings and the environment is one of the most important aspects of a trip. The following are some things that you can do to preserve the environment in this part of Indonesia:
One of the easiest ways to get around is cycling, especially on Ocarina Beach. There, you can find a bike rental. Bikes don't have tailpipes belching poisonous fumes into the atmosphere, making them the ideal means of transport around. They also eliminate the fuel, hydraulic fluids, and oils dripped by automobiles onto the road surface, which means less toxic runoff into local waterways.
The other eco-friendly way to get around Batam is walking, especially visiting Panyengat Island, which is not large. You can walk around it in around two hours, which means that you can go for a walk before spending the afternoon sunbathing if you get here early enough. Through walking, you can interact with local people and understand their culture better. You could also buy refreshments hence promoting local businesses.
You could also use public transport to get around the city of Batam. Trans Batam Brt (bus rapid transit) is the regionally available means of transportation, and it links to the port towns of Nagoya, Sekupang, and Batam Center. By using public means, you save on cost and also reduce car congestion around the city area.
Some of the other ways that you can make your trip a responsible one are:
- Support local businesses by shopping from local shops and buying local products instead of imported ones.
- Dine on seafood as it is available in abundance in Batam which is rather known for its delicious seafood. Some of the top picks for seafood in the city include the Rezeki Seafood Restaurant and the Sei Enam Seafood Restaurant, and Harbour Bay Seafood. If you are looking to try new dishes, try the black pepper crab famous in the region or chili crab and snacks like crunchy calamari.
The locals have invested in hotels that prepare veggies. You can't miss the excellent vegetarian canteens' which serves up healthy meals to their customers. There is also the need to understand that supporting and helping local producers and markets is essential for them to survive. One way you can keep them is by buying souvenirs. Primary souvenirs include rosella flower tea and Bangka bakar
Air Quality and Pollution
According to WHO (world health organization), air pollution causes more than 7 million premature deaths annually. The magnitude of the problem should inspire a need for change, but it doesn't. Batam has been struggling with air pollution, leading to a decrease in tourists number in recent years. The leading causes of corruption are forest fires, transport emissions, manufacturing, household emissions, construction, road dust, and open waste burning. The unfavourable air quality and pollution have forced health experts to warn active children and adults with respiratory diseases, such as asthma, to avoid prolonged outdoor exertion. Everyone else, significantly children should also limit prolonged outdoor exertion.
Respect the Culture
A heterogeneous mixture of people inhabits Batam due to labor migration and desire to be close to Singapore. Two-thirds of the population are migrants from neighboring countries. There are five predominant ethnicities, which include Malays, Javanese, Minangkabau, Batak, and Chinese. These ethnic groups have different cultural practices which they practice until to date. These activities bring them together as one hence promoting unity and love among them. The Javanese constitute 26.78%of the population, while Malay got 22.61% of the community. Chinese has the lowest among the five broad groups, large groups with a percentage close to 11.28 %.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Batam is a small island in Indonesia known for its beaches, nightlife, malls, and duty-free shopping. Batam is just one hour away from Singapore, so if you are looking for a weekend break to Indonesia, this is a great place to come. Explore several resorts, spas, restaurants, and cafes, and the nightlife here is lively with a good range of choices if you are looking for some entertainment in the evenings. Highlights: visit maha vihara Duta Maitreya, 70 Fahrenheit Koffie, barreling bridge, batik gallery, Batam miniature park, cheng ho mosque, batik gallery, Batam layer cake & mega mall Batam center. In most of these malls, traditional Indonesian massage won't miss completing your Indonesian experience!
- Ocarina park - Ocarina Park is a family-friendly place for fun and entertainment. There is a water park and 3d movie theatre inside, along with several food-court style restaurants. The entrance is quite a walk from, but there is a shuttle bus, or you can take your car inside. This whole complex has an unfinished air to it and is a work in progress. Perhaps it will be a place to spend some time in the future but disappointing now, and only locals would be happy with the facilities and services.
- Batam golf - Batam is a golfer paradise blessed with seven excellent golf courses providing top-class championship golf and great hospitality. from $85.
- Dinner Cruise in Mv. sea view - Usually, the ride starts from the golden fish seafood restaurant to the Riau Archipelago. It is more memorable through the icon of Batam's island (Barelang bridge) with the sunset's nuances while enjoying dinner.
Shopping malls. There are three main shopping malls you can visit during your stay in Batam. they include Nagoya hill shopping mall, mega mall Batam center, BCS mall.
- Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall - excellent experience purchasing brand products, international chain fast food (Mcdonald, Kfc,.), and best massage. lots of shops and restaurants, a great place shop and dine place, from hardware right, etc. and electronics all is here
- Mega hall Batam center - The megamall is the only mall in Batam and one must-visit for authentic local clothing items. You can get perfect quality shirts and t-shirts at a very reasonable price. It also has a lot of good eating joints.
- Great Mosque of Batam: This is one of the most important places in the city, in a historic view. It is a beautiful mosque that you would definitely enjoy visiting.
- Batam center park - If you have a hobby of jogging during your stay in Batam, this place is more exciting and worth trying. Between 5:30 and 7:00 am, you will meet a lot of people doing the same. Do not worry about food and drink as you can buy there around. The place is also cool for a family to relax and spend time with the children. Other activities you can engage with include: badminton, small football, or maybe just sightseeing.
- Batam botanical garden (Kebun Raya Batam) - The theme of the Batam botanical garden is the conservation of small islands of plants in Indonesia. Thematic gardens in the form of a maze garden, flower garden, children garden, and others also planned to be one of this botanical garden's strengths. It is also a very educational place.
- Mega Wisata Ocarina Batam - The park is located on the edge of the dry bay and the luxury housing complex coastarina. There is a beautiful white sandy beach with shady pine trees, a children's playground area, an open stage with a capacity of 10,000 people, and a green garden equipped with a gazebo and a jogging track.
- Piggy gate Drak bike park -Drak bike park is a mountain biking sport trail located at the water catchment reservoir Duriangkang Batam Indonesia, open to the local and overseas rider. It is considered fun among tourists and locals.
- Tangga 1000 Taman Habibie - Taman wisata Habibi 1000 Tangga means 'a thousand steps,' the estimated total number of all the existing stairs. The steps lead to different gorgeous spots in this spacious location dominated by lush greenery, including a cliffside beach and viewpoint overlooking Singapore's skyscrapers.
- Rabbit park (Taman Kelinci) - The Sekupang rabbit park is the right tour to bring his children to play in knowing the outside world. The rabbit park is in the open, which makes it natural and relaxed. Besides, the rabbit park also has several animals, such as turkeys and eagles.
- Taman kolam Kupang - You'll find a vast population of bright orange koi fish in the lake, which the Chinese deem auspicious, bringing vibrant life to the pond. You can purchase a bag of fish food from vendors. With a cycling trail and jogging path, this park is also the perfect place for some exercise while basking in the beauty of nature.
- Taman Mustika Alam - Taman Mustika Alam is equipped with various play facilities for toddlers. This park is suitable for parents who want to bring their children to play in the open Air with facilities.
- Taman Rusa Sekupang (jogging track) - Taman Rusa jogging track in Sekupang district is one of the references. The jogging way is 1 km long and 3 meters wide. The area is filled with shady trees, making the location cool even during the day.
- Tiban waterfall - Tiban waterfall attracts many visitors due to its calm weather and fresh air from the hills. Three months without rain in the dry season makes the water dry around the location of the waterfall.
- Avj mangrove conservation - Avj mangrove is perfect for those of us who want to take a break from the atmosphere of city noise. The air is also quite cool due to the surrounding mangrove trees.
- Dino's - The new home for rides, with various types of dinosaurs and some dinosaurs that can move children, will like this the most
- Logo Hutan wisata Mata Kuching - It is one of the natural forest tourist attractions in Batam. It attracts a massive number of people, especially on weekends.
- Nongsa beach - It is the real, raw Batam beach experience. It is a bustling beach, featuring many food stalls, locals hanging out enjoying tea, people's houses, young children playing around in the water, and lots of random music and sounds. On clear days, you may be fortunate enough to get incredibly beautiful views of the Singapore skyline from the shores.
- Payung beach - Nice place to go but challenging to reach by bus. Very local and many different eating places. the airport is very close, meaning you may amuse yourself by watching the takeoff of the airplanes from Hang Nadim Batam airport through the palm trees
- Bale Bale Kampung Tua coast beach Bakauserip - Suitable for camping and holiday. We can see a lovely sunset and Habibie tower at the same time. Very peaceful, and we can see the simple life of the villagers. The best value of this place is that the interaction offered between tourists and residents. Local souvenirs could be a good attraction for overseas visitors.
- Coastarina - Coastarina is another excellent place for a picnic with family; it has beautiful scenery and a lot of exciting rides. They got a playground, water sport, and beach. Kids will love it, and if you are here for the sunset, the view is excellent, but it depends on the time of the day.
- Bukit Clara (Clara hill) - Bukit Clara is one of the locations that you must visit if you are in Batam. There is a written welcome to Batam on the mountain. The place is clean, spacious, and cold air-conditioned. If you are in Batam for the first time, it is a great place to take a photo since the view is very fantastic.
- Barelang bridge - It is considered one of the most iconic areas in Batam. They call it the art and symbol of Batam. No one can say you ever been Batam without proof of a photo with this bridge. Come and take a picture here.
- Taman Mini Indonesia, the Batam golden city Bengkong - The stay here is quite impressive. It is a museum equipped with mini-models of Indonesia's traditional houses. The place is nice to troll in the afternoon.
- The Illusion - The illusion is a small trick art museum with a big heart. You will meet the sweetest persons here. They will make your day better with their warm, friendly behavior and beautiful manners. they will even volunteer to take your photo
Traditional Local Restaurants
- Rezeki seafood restaurant - It's a hidden gem in Batam for seafood. You can choose dress crab, shrimp, fish, and vegetables and also drink coconut water. It has fresh seafood at a very affordable price.
- Nagoya hill: food street Batam - Each dish is well cooked, quality is consistent, and the selection of drinks is excellent. Fresh drinks are available.
- Yong kee seafood - Here fish soup is must-try food, don't forget to eat it with rice and an omelet. They serve fresh ingredients at a very affordable price. They sell out food early; better be there.
- Piccola Stella Batam - This restaurant is very cozy, well-decorated, and Instagram-able. Its toilets are clean and comfortable. It is an excellent place to go when you crave Italian food.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- Vege restaurant - Always come here when you like to eat vegetarian food, even the children also love their food.
The place is clean, fully airconditioned, good service, excellent food, and not too pricy.
- De loving heart - A tasty vegetarian food. A delicious meal with a touch of spiciness. Generous portioning and a portion of healthy food.
- Loving heart vegan restaurant Batam - Good taste and friendly people. When here, try the mushroom steak, spaghetti bolognese, and fried enoki mushrooms.
- Restaurant nature vegetarian - The right choice for vegetarian lovers, various menu variants, and Chinese writing. you will not regret and worth to try
Street foods assure food security for low-income earners' urban population and livelihood for a significant proportion of the people in many countries. Street foods are described as a wide range of ready-to-eat foods and beverages or prepared at home and consumed on the streets without the need for further preparation. Batam has a number of these foods; they include:
- sate IBU Joko
- Iontong Sayur in
- batamay Bandung
- Sate Ayam
I've had many different Sate (or satay) types in Southeast Asia, but there's nothing compared to the real Indonesian Sate; in my opinion, you'll find some of the absolute best sites in Asia within Indonesia. You'll find many different types and varieties of Sate in Indonesia, but two of Jakarta's standard versions at sate Ayam (chicken sate) and sate kambing (goat sate). Other examples of Sate include Sate Ayam Bakar Taliwang, which means grilled chicken.
Do visit the Batam Harbour Bay Seafood restaurants street where you will find a wide range of delicious seafoods, ranging from salmon to prawns.
City authorities claim that Batam's tap water is potable, but the rusty color puts some people off. Most people choose to stick with bottled water anyway. Wine and liquor are available from the duty-free stores in nearly all more massive malls, most bars, and hotels. There are two microbreweries on the island: brewsky & co. and Batam fresh beer.
Do not drink tap water, even in 5-star hotels, unless you know that it's boiled for at least 5 minutes. Safe, good quality bottled water is cheaply and readily available in shops, restaurants, bars, and at roadside stalls and used by most locals and visitors.
- Sunset organic Batam
- Meilleur cafe & patisserie - This café is an excellent place to have a chit chat with friends. The location is so quiet. Relaxing.
- Piccola Stella Batam - This place is an excellent place to go when you crave Italian food. Although the price is a little expensive, it's worth it for every penny you spend.
- Organic mushroom Batam
- Fresh beer Batam center - Fresh beer Batam may be one of the original food and beer you want to try during your stay in Batam. It worth the time and value for money. The beer is cheap and has excellent taste.
- Brewsky & co. - Great place for a pint of fresh beer! Fair enough range of excellent cocktails & drinks.great place for crowd/gatherings
- On tap - if in the mood for some tasty beer, head over to the Chinatown complex, go to the 2nd floor, and hit upon faucet fresh brew craft beer
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga and retreats The main reason to go on a yoga retreat is to allow yourself to relax genuinely. Yoga retreat helps escape and have nothing to do but concentrate on the retreat.
- Yoga seeds - It is a unique experience to practice here, peaceful, quiet, yet you get to see the locals exercising, enjoying Bishan park through the windows. They have great instructors who are committed to their teaching!
- Yoga movement Tanjong Pagar - The aesthetic of this place is beautiful, and everything about it serves a rather relaxing atmosphere. The studios are spacious, and I enjoyed my time here. I would come back again!
There's certainly no shortage of places for accommodation in Batam. Finding the perfect place to stay can be frustrating, especially at that time of the year when everyone seems to be on the go. You will need to take your time before you make a choice. Always choose a place that is more secure and cheap access to essential services.
- Triniti hotel - It is a 2-star hotel with simple rooms, a hot tub & a gym, plus free breakfast & parking.
"food tastes decent and good value for the money!"
- Aston inn Gideon - Batam - It is a 3-star hotel famous for its shopping, choice of entertainment, and is within walking distance of the BCS shopping mall and the brand new grand Batam shopping.
- Green rose hotel -It is a 3-star hotel with well-maintained rooms.
Hostels and Guest Houses
These hostels cater to travelers and students who cannot afford the high cost of hotels. The guesthouse provides a separate room to the inmate, whereas one may have to share the space with others in a hostel.
- Sleeprest - Plamo garden - The units come with air conditioning, flat-screen tv with cable channels, a kettle, a shower, free toiletries, and a desk. At the guest house, all rooms come with a wardrobe and a private bathroom.
- Reddoorz premium Permata baloi green - Boasting an outdoor swimming pool, shared lounge, garden, and free wifi. This hostel features family rooms; this property also provides guests with a sun terrace.
- Reddoorz near Sud Embung Fatimah Batam - It provides rooms with air conditioning and a private bathroom in the Batam center. There is the availability of private parking at an extra charge.
- Panbil residence apartment Batam - At their elegant studios and apartments, Panbil residence apartment Batam offers accommodation in Batam center with free wifi. Guests can enjoy the outdoor swimming pool and the fitness center at the property.
- Queen Victoria apartment Batam - The property offers various types of apartments. All of the air-conditioned units include a dining area and a seating area with flat-screen cable tv.
- One residence's apartment - Situated in Batam center, one residence's apartment offers accommodation with a balcony. All air-conditioned units include a fully equipped kitchen, allowing guests to prepare their meals.
The vast majority of Couchsurfing experiences in Batam are not only safe but outright life-changing. Taking responsibility for your safety when traveling is essential. And it's just as important when you're using services like Couchsurfing.
Many people also enjoy camping because they like to spend time in nature. In Batam, several camping sites help people connect with nature.
- Mount Batur camping - Mount Batur camping offers a sauna and free private parking and is within 3.3 km of the Batam Center ferry terminal and 5 km of mega mall Batam center. An Asian breakfast is available every morning at the camping. The tents are good, and the price is very affordable, plus the service is amiable.
- Taman wisata Alam muka Kuning - Taman wisata Alam muka Kuning is a place for refreshing and family gatherings. many activities can be carried out, such as fishing, canoeing, jungle tracking, camping, etc. safe and comfortable place
How to Get There
The easiest way to visit Batam is with the primary means of transport that include:
Batam's airport is the hang of Nadim international airport (both). Nearly all flights are domestic, where you can get direct connections to Jakarta, Surabaya, Medan, Pekanbaru, and other more cities. The Indonesian domestic carriers include Garuda Indonesia, batik air, Citylink, lion air, Sriwijaya air.
Batam local government (known as pemerintah) started a bus service known as the "bus pilot project." the blue color bus plies between Batam center and Batu aji. Buy your ticket from the personnel before boarding.
Rail is the most cost-efficient compared to road transport, especially when shipping a high volume of luggage. Rail also has fewer costs associated with drivers and typically has better costs for drop trailer programs. Trains burn less fuel per ton-mile than trucks hence considered environment friendly.
Hitchhiking is not as dangerous as some people make it out to be though there is risk involved. If you choose to do so, then you are accepting those risks. Whenever possible, use public means to move around. Others
- Online taxis - Recently, online taxis have introduced a new mode of transportation in Batam. Available taxis include those from uber and grab, all of which are very convenient for tourists. All you need is to download their apps, and you can call one at your pleasure.
- Motorcycle (ojek) - "ojek" is the local name for a bike in Batam. Using this means is way cheaper than taking a taxi. However, as it only sits one passenger, this is more suitable for solo travelers.
- By boat - Batam's main ports are harbor bay, Batam Center, Sekupang, Nongsapura, and Telaga punggur.
Harbor bay ferry terminal is the closest terminal between Singapore harbourfront and Batam.
- By taxi -there are plenty of taxis in Batam, but there are no standard color schemes: however, licensed taxis have yellow license plates, while unlicensed ones do not. As there are no meters, you will need to bargain with the drivers; the first price quoted is often silly, but if there are other taxis around, you can easily bargain them down.
There are two well-known taxi operators in Batam. Silver cab. The first taxi service in Batam runs with a meter. It is one of the best alternatives to get around Batam, particularly if you don't know how to bargain for a cab. The fee is very reasonable and cheaper than those non-metered taxis and, of course, run with air cooling. Bluebird, bluebird taxi are available to serve Batam's people by minibus
Walking is one of the most cost-efficient means of transport. Its benefits are thrilling to both your body and the environment.
Bicycles are a perfect and efficient means of transport, especially for short distances. They have health and fitness benefits without adversely impacting the Earth. Bikes ride quietly, which limits noise pollution and disturbances to nature.
As a country, Indonesia is pushing for the development of electric vehicles and battery production facilities to create a downstream industry for the country's rich supplies of nickel laterite ore, a requirement in engineering lithium batteries. Hyundai has expressed interest in building electric vehicle plants in Indonesia, Southeast Asia's second-largest car production hub. Batam is at the forefront of adopting this new technology. Electric vehicles will significantly help reduce the release of toxic gases into the surroundings.
Public transport is not the best means in Batam since it's not convenient and reliable. Batam still lacks in this department. In case of a lack of other options, public transport could still work.
Tram, Train and Subway
The train is preferred due to its timed schedule and fixed fare, a departure from the fluctuating and unpredictable matatus. The city government highly encourages people to use the train and leave their cars at home to reduce emissions harmful to the environment.
Now a smattering of independent, eclectic stores provides a platform for the country's talented designers and artisans to sell items that truly represent and reflect its creative energy.
Local markets include:
- Lotte grosir Batam
- WBT food market
- Pasar Penuin wet market
It has a wet market where all your meat, fruits, and vegetables, fish stalls are available. Here One can find daily necessaries. There are many eating stalls too.
- Pasar Seken Legenda Malaka
- Mega Legenda Market
- Pasar Buah puja Bahari
The shops sell similar things, and you can compare the prices and tastes.
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand clothes carry the blame for the collapse of the country's manufacturing industry. In its defense, second-hand items are what most local Batam can easily afford. Some of the second-hand markets and store in the city include:
- Mustafa second-hand market - The second-hand Mustafa market, open from the evening night's sake, used clothes, used pants, used jackets, etc., if you want to good stuff at a low price, it must be a smart bargain.
- Olshop Pakaian Seken Batam
- Second Centre Bintang lima Batam
A relatively uncharted area in the country, eco-fashion is slowly gaining ground as an ethical way to engage in fashion in an eco-friendly way. The following are some of the store in the city they offer eco-fashion products:
- Nagoya hill shopping mall
- Batam city square
- diamond city mall
- The megamall shopping center
- kampung Oleh-Oleh
Uncollected solid waste is one of Batam's most visible environmental problems. Many parts of the city, especially the low and middle-income areas, don't even have waste collection systems in place. Recently, the Batam city government barred imported plastic waste as a soft material for industries in the coastal city due to its harmful and damaging impact on the environment.
All hazardous waste produced by industrial zones in Batam is sent to a treatment plant operated by a local industry driven by PT Prasadha Pamunah limbah, Bogor, west java.
Work and Study Abroad
Home to thousands of Batam businesses and over 150 major international companies and organizations, including international organizations for migration and Batam international university. This position has seen Batam continue to attract many foreigners, both as students and as expatriates.
Batam has the best universities in the region. Every year, these universities attract many international students from all over the world. Some of the best and most prestigious universities in Batam are:
- Ipmi international business school
- Masamus Merauke university
- Widya mandala catholic university
- Universitas 17 Agustus 1945 Jakarta
Having an Au Pair is a great idea, especially if you need flexibility and are concerned with preparing your child for a global society. You should consider an Au Pair, depending on your individual needs and expectations.
Batam citizens accept the concept of the au pair. They get house help from online sites or even from local villages, but most still prefer relatives.
Beyond just having fun in Batam, you could also take part in leaving the place better than you found it. You can join a community like Batam build, committed to helping homeless children and older adults. This community of volunteers builds houses for the less fortunate among the local societies, e.g., in Kabil village.