Eco-friendly travel guide to Hua Hin advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Hua Hin, Thailand.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 2 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$11 - $600
- Budget per day: US$50 - $800
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Hua Hin is a very popular tourist destination which is located in Thailand. The sea side resort is very well known for it's scenic oceans and the high number of visitors both local and foreign. Many people choose this place instead of Bangkok or others as it is more peaceful and has gorgeous views. It has also retained the authentic vibe of Thai culture. Before planning a trip to this city, you need to know of the responsibilities that you need to follow as an eco-friendly traveler.
While exploring different places and the general idea of tourism is great, it is also harmful for the environment because of the way tourists travel today. It is of utmost importance to be a responsible traveller especially when we are at the verge of a climate disaster
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience is discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote green as much as possible in the city to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the city that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the city. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards to city to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and foods from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
According to different sources, the Air Quality Index (AQI) of Hua Hin city ranges from good to moderate varying upon different seasons. It mostly stays around 20-100. The main pollutant found in the air is around PM2.5, which might vary from day to day. You will be able to breathe freely in this city without any type of complications. However, if you have serious breathing problems generally or you're very sensitive, then you might need some precautions like carrying your inhaler and allergy medicines with you and wearing a mask.
Respect the Culture
Thai culture is very unique and different from the rest of the world especially Europe, America, Australia. They have a different lifestyle, norms and values. While it might be a cultural shock for you, do not come off as disrespectful when witnessing these things. Always be respectful, do not frown even if you do not agree with their customs and traditions. Ask questions but be polite. From museums to blue beaches, this city offers many different things for travelers to have fun on their trip. Make sure to try the local cuisine because food is a massive part of Thai culture.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Hua Hin is one of the best districts in Thailand where you can go on a holiday trip. Some of the places that are worth visiting are:
- Hutsadin Elephant foundation - If you are fond of elephants, then you cannot miss this place. Here you would find the world's best elephants and can also get an opportunity to interact with them.
- Klai Kangwon - One of the best palaces which tells you about the history of the famous king of Thailand. If you want to know the best things about him, then you have to visit here very soon.
- Maruekhathaiyawan Palace - This palace was built in the year 1920 when King Rama was in power. Come here and know some of his famous works and many more things like that.
- Cicada Market - Stop here and buy the best art and crafts created by the most famous artists. Try them out and see that you purchase a certain thing which you have never brought before.
- Phraya Nakhon Cave - One of the darkest caves where you would go and get lost in the woods. People always feel scared of this place, but you have to explore it on your own and then see the magic.
- Pleaen Wan - You can say that it is a shopping center where you would get the atmosphere of a village. Buy the best wooden crafts from here and decorate your homes with them.
- For Art's Sake - It is an art gallery where you would get the best artistic works by the famous painters. After coming here, it is guaranteed that you would be fond of painting and make it your hobby.
- Wat Bo Fai - Believe it or not, but this is the best Buddhist temple which has the famous statue of Buddha. Get an opportunity to worship Lord Buddha and fulfill all your wishes within a short span of time.
- Mrigadayavan - It is not a huge palace, but from here, you can learn a lot about the kings of Thailand. Never miss it because this opportunity might not come again and again.
- Jao Mae Tub Tim Shrine - You will see that this place is spread all over the internet because of its holy culture. The evening prayers are wonderful, and you would like to be a part of it. Make a note of this place and mark it as a very important one.
It is true that Hua Hin is a small district, and it is not massively populated. But if you explore it, then you will get some exciting places like city parks and museums.
- Phon King - This is a park where people mostly go for doing exercising and jogging activities. You will not feel bored because the greenery is awesome, and the scenic beauty becomes a point of attraction.
- Queens Park - You will see that this place has the most beautiful ambiance and people love to visit here. Afternoon time is the best as this place is only for those people who look for peace.
- Khao Sam - It is a 54-year-old marine park that entices the majority of the people. In the beginning, you would find it boring, but after having its nice tour, you would understand this place more.
- Hua Hin Beach - There is not a lot of information about this beach, but it is a fact that you will enjoy it a lot. Come here during the daytime and feel the high waves at full speed.
There are many landmarks in Hua Hin. Some of these include:
- Clock Tower
- Huay Mongkol Temple
- Cicada Market
- Khao Takiab
- Hua Hin Shogun Tattoo - You can call it a museum where you will get varieties of tattoos. There is a brief history behind them which you will find interesting.
Food is one of the things that will help you learn about the local people, their traditions, culture, and likings. Thai cuisine is very famous all around the world for taste and diversity. There is nothing like having authentic Thai food from Thailand itself. You cannot replicate the same taste anywhere else in the world so do make sure that you try the different local delicacies.
Traditional Local Restaurants
While you are in Hua Hin, do not miss the opportunity to try the traditional food that you might not find anywhere else in the world apart from this city. There are many places in the city that serve pure traditional foods and seafood to tourists. You need to know the names of these restaurants to get the best eating experience.
- Coast Beach Club & Bistro Hua Hin
- Hin Lek Fai Restaurant
- Halal Hua Hin Beach Seafood & Thai Restaurant
Vegetarian and Vegan
You do not have to worry if you are vegan, there are many options available in this city that will help you to get the best vegetarian and traditional food in the city. Not only is it healthy for travelers but it also helps them to eat pure vegetables and maintain their diet routine. Here are some of the most popular vegan restaurants in Hua Hin city that you need to visit.
- Ruean Thong Vegetarian Food
- Royal Indian Hua Hin restaurant
- Hua Hin Vegan Cafe & Wine
No matter if you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian, make sure to taste the yummy and mouth-watering street food of the Hua Hin. You will get both veg and non-veg street food in the city that will melt your heart. Keep in mind to try these foods from the local shops to get the best taste and authenticity. Some of the most popular street food in the city include 'fried doughnuts, streamed coconut cakes, Pa Thing Go, Khanom khrok, and others.
From soft drinks to alcohol, there is a plethora of options to choose from. Thai drinks are famous around the world for their unique and refreshing taste. One thing you should know is that often drinks at the street stalls and night markets are sold in a plastic bag with a straw. That contributes to the problem of pollution and creating plastic waste. It will be a good idea to carry your own thermos or water bottle and ask them to pour your drink in that. Some of the drinks that you must try to quench your thirst are:
- Coco Yen (Iced Cocoa)
- Cha Yen (Thai Milk Tea)
- Nam Oy (Sugarcane juice)
- Oliang (Thai Iced Coffee)
According to reports, the tap water of this city is not good for drinking as it contains a lot of pollutants. However, many other locals and tourists say that drinking the tap water and brushing teeth with it is not a problem. They have been doing it for years, and there were no side effects. However, it is better to boil and filter the water before using it. You can also drink bottled water from the shops to avoid any health issues.
Keeping yourself healthy is a very good thing to remember while traveling. Being healthy starts with eating pure food instead of spicy and fatty dishes. Another very good choice is organic cafes that serve dishes that are made without any chemicals. Here are some of the popular cafes given below that you can visit to get some organic food.
- Bliss Cafe & Restaurant Hua Hin
- C’Cup Cafe
- Amoma’s Restaurant
You will find plenty of breweries in the Hua Hin city that offer both traditional and local drinks to customers and tourists. As the nightlife in this city is very happening around the city, you can visit different bars at nighttime to get good drinks. Having a sip at the beach is one of the best feelings in the world. Here are some places that you need to note down for getting the best drinks.
- EAST Rooftop
- Hua Hin Brewing Company
- Engine House Sports bar & Restaurant Hua Hin
You will not have a shortage of activities to do here as the city offers all of the different options. Some of the most common activities that you will get to do include visiting tourist attractions, trying foods, performing outdoor activities, and others. Yes, there are many outdoor activities available in this city that you can do. The list of outdoor activities includes all types of sea activities, camping, hiking, trekking, and others.
Yoga and Retreats
Keeping your mind off of the crowd in this city is a very important thing. It will help you very much to get far from the people and refresh your mind and body. You can choose different sessions of yoga with different time duration based on the pricing. There are plenty of yoga services available in the city that you can use to stay calm and.
Accommodation options are needed to be checked before boarding to the city or planning a trip. When you are traveling to a city, which is a major tourist destination, you need to book it in advance. You will get all the different types of accommodation available in this city from green rooms to camping. All types of options are available for the different types of travelers. As an eco-friendly traveler, it is best to choose green options that will help to decrease the pollution in the city.
Compared to many other cities and countries, the concept of green hotels is very well known in this city as the number of tourists is very high. It helps you to stay and reduce the wastes and improve the nature of this city. You will be able to get all the features and advantages of the normal hotels in this green hotel. Here are some of the green hotels that you can choose depending on your money limit.
- Green Gallery Bed and Breakfast
- Green Gallery Beach Boutique Hotel
- Rest Detail Hotel Hua Hin
Hostels and Guest Houses
If the green hotels are too costly for you, then you can choose the option to stay at hostels and guest houses in the city. It is also the best option when you are visiting the city for a long time. Compared to others, the prices are low in these hostels. Some of the most popular guest houses and hostels in the city where you can enjoy your stay are given below.
- Taphouse Hua Hin
- Mad Panda Hostel HuaHin
- The Moon Hostel Hua Hin
- Hua Hin Paradise Guest House
Renting apartments is the best option for you when you are visiting a place for 1 or 2 months. You will be able to get an apartment at rent easily in the city in exchange for low money. Also, it will help you to know the local life of people and observe very closely to know more about their lifestyle. Here are some rental options for you that you can use for getting apartments.
- Tira Tiraa Condominium
- Sun & Star Apartment
- Hua Hin Golden House
- Baan San Ploen Condo
Many travelers prefer Couchsurfing instead of renting apartments or staying in a hotel. You will find many hosts in the city who offer Couchsurfing options for travelers. But you will have to take the help of different services to find these hosts who are offering this accommodation option. It will help you to save a lot of money and stay like a local in the city for getting the best local lifestyle experience in Thailand.
If you are into adventures, then no accommodation option is better for you than Camping. There are many camping places where you can stay the night and feel nature. Plenty of places are available in this city where you can observe the wildlife and see the sunset along with getting a very good experience of nature. Here are some of the best camping spots where you can make your stay.
- Sarasas Scout Camp
- Don Bosco Yorth Camp
- Camp Valley-Hill
- Cha-am Beach Bible Camp
- S&N Camping
How to Get There
Before planning your trip to Hua Hin city, you need to know what is the best option for you to get there. Like most of the other cities, travelers like to use the airway to reach the destination faster than any other transportation mode. But there are many different options available that you can choose such as train, bus, taxi, car, bike, and many others. It depends on the choice of the traveler along with their money limit as some of them are cheap, and some of them are expensive.
As mentioned above, the air is the fastest trout to travel in this city from a city in Thailand or other countries. You will be able to get a very good and comfortable journey experience in flight. However, flight tickets are one of the most expensive ones compared to all the other transportation modes. The airway is very well connected with different cities and countries and the nearest airport to the city is Hua Hin airport.
You can take a bus from different cities in Thailand to reach Hua Hin city. From air-conditioned to normal buses are available from different cities that you can catch to reach Hua Hin city. Compared to all the different options, taking the bus will be the cheapest one for you but it will take a long time to reach your destination. Make sure to have much time on your hand when taking a bus to reach the city.
Many local people and tourists believe that Train is the best option for travelers to get to Hua Hin city. The railway station Hua Hin is located in the center of the city which makes it easy to catch from wherever you are in the city. The best thing about taking a train to reach Hua Hin is you don't have to worry about traffic . You will be able to go much faster from the bus but slower from the flight.
Hitchhiking can be a very adventurous experience for travelers but it doesn't fit well in all of the places. Well, the good thing is you will be able to hitchhike in this city as the local people are very friendly towards the tourists. The chance of getting a lift on your way to the city is very high if you are in the right place at the right time. There are many highways around the city that you can catch to get the best result and experience.
While there are the most chosen methods to reach the city, there are many other ones that you can use to reach Hua Hin. These options include car, bike, booked cabs, bicycle, and others. As it takes more time than other modes of transportation, many people try to avoid it. However, the road journey is a completely different experience of travel, as you will be able to see some of the best scenes.
Moving around the city is one of the main things about traveling. It helps to know the city well and get close to the culture. You will be able to get many different options to get around and explore the city. Some of them will help you to reach your destination very fast and some of them are not that fast. However, all different modes of transportation have different advantages and disadvantages, here are some given below.
Walking might be the best way for you to move around the famous attraction point of this city. It will take time but it is one of the best options to observe the local people and their lifestyle very well. You will be able to use lanes, shortcuts, and other paths where only pedestrians are allowed. It will help you to move one side to one side of the city faster. You will also get to save a lot of money on other transportation modes.
Another very good option to visit popular places in the city very comfortably is bicycles. You will be able to get to different places faster than walking as there are separate lanes available in the city for cycling. Renting services are available in the city that offers bicycles at a cheap price. You might also get a bicycle service from your hotel for free of cost. Not only will it save a lot of money, but it will also help to exercise while traveling in the city from places to places.
You can also take the help of electronic vehicles to move around the city and different places. This is the most used transportation mode by travelers to reach different parts of the city. While it struggles on the city roads because of traffic jams and signals, this is the best mode of transportation when you are traveling on the highways. You can book a cab, rent a car, bike to travel around the city but make sure to be patient.
Public buses are one of the most convenient options for travelers to travel in the city. It saves both time and money and helps you to see the daily life of the local people. Buses are very well connected with different roads and tourist attractions and fares are cheap. From Bluport Mall to Clock Tower, the buses make sure to help out the tourists. However, it is best to have some time in your hand before going out in case of traffic.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trains are also very much available in the city from time to time and you will get to catch them from the Hua Hin railway station. Compared to a bus, you might be able to reach your destination faster by train because of the high speed and no traffic. The railway is very well connected with different stations in the city. Make sure to book a ticket in advance to avoid any type of issue.
Sustainable shopping is a very important thing for eco-friendly travelers. It helps them to purchase things and do the necessary shopping along with helping the city. There are many second-hand stores, eco-friendly stores, and recycled stores in the city that help to minimize the wastes by recycling them. Most of the items look brand new and high quality, which you will get at a lower price from brand new ones.
Exploring food markets is a very good way of exploring the city and the lifestyle of locals. You will find many locals shopping in these markets, purchasing some necessary cooking ingredients. You might come across many foods or vegetables that you have not tried anywhere else. Make sure to explore these markets by foot to have the best experience. Here are some of the common ones that you need to visit.
- Market Village HuaHin
- Baan Khun Por Food market
- Villa Market - Index Hua Hin
- Hua Hin Night Market
There are many flea markets available in the city where you can visit to buy clothes, bags, and other users or recycled items. These flea markets are scattered throughout the city and you will be able to get them very crowded in the night time. Some of the best places to visit and purchase some of the souvenirs for your loved ones are given below.
- Huai Saai Taai Market
- Cicada Market
Second Hand Stores
Purchasing second-hand items are becoming more popular around the world. It is one of the best ways to help the environment and promote zero waste. It will not only help the environment but also help the local shops to earn a profit. Being a famous tourist destination, people from all around the world visit this city, which has resulted in an increased number of second-hand shops compared to other cities in Thailand.
Even wealthy people prefer buying such sustainable clothes and accessories. You will find many local boutiques and stores selling such fashion items. These stores use various eco-friendly measures like organic materials, localized-items, and employing people from local communities. These stores not only protect the environment but also provide an opportunity for growth to the locals.
Hua Hin government and the locals are very serious about recycling and focus very much on recycling plastics. They have taken many different initiatives by both government and private companies. You will be able to find many shops that do not use plastic, instead, they use paper bags to keep the environment clean. They are trying to use waste and recycling them to use them in different things like making other materials.
According to reports, the city generates around 90 tonnes of solid waste every day. Most of these wastes are produced from foods and others come from paper and plastic material. Instead of dumping these wastes in a landfill the officials of this city are recycling them to use and make other items. Many private companies and local people have taken one step ahead to help them make the city clean.
Work and Study Abroad
There are many schools, colleges, and universities in this city that offer many different degrees to international students. Every year, many students from different countries visit this city to pursue their higher studies. Apart from good opportunities, they can also do some part-time work to get some pocket money in the city. Options like Au Pair to library jobs are open for the students and any foreign workers.
Student exchange programs are becoming very common in the city, there are many universities like Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, offering this opportunity to students. Students from different countries are using this method to study in the city. Most of the colleges and universities have good partnerships with colleges around the world. You can use online services to see the available options for exchange students in the city.
The concept of an Au Pair living with local families has not gained popularity in Hua Hin for now. Since locals heavily rely on tourism industry themselves, it is not feasible for them to start paying tourists to stay with them to help with house hold chores. Even if it is done the money will not be a big amount especially if you come from Europe, America etc.
If you want to contribute towards the city and its people, then volunteering is the best way to do it. You can volunteer for any work you want in the city from soup kitchen to beach cleaning drives. There is always a shortage of volunteers.