Eco-friendly travel guide to Iran advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Iran, Middle East, Asia.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Bus connections: 3.7 / 5
- Train connections: 3.9 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 4 / 5
- National parks:4.1 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4.4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 3.9 / 5
- Accommodation: US$190 - $240
- Budget per day: US$150 - $190
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Iran, also called Persia, and officially the Islamic Republic of Iran, is a country in Western Asia. Situated amidst the ruined palaces of Persepolis, Yazd wind catchers, and Tehran temple, you will appreciate all the empires that came to power and later on lost it in Iran. You might think that Iran can be quite risky to travel to, but it is better if you are not influenced by the headlines. People in Iran are quite warm-hearted and welcoming. Hence, if you are planning to spend a vacation, then get ready to receive some heartwarming welcome in the country.
Iran’s history is quite striking and once you visit the country, you will get to know about everything. From homely stews, manmade beauty, mosques to sky-touching sacred mountains, you will get everything that will blow your mind. Being a responsible traveler, all you can do is support the sustainable traveling rules and regulations. Besides, the Iranians are quite skilled and talented, which you will get to know from the mirrored and mosaic work. The money, which the tourism industry earns mostly, goes to the small business traders as well as the government. Simplicountry, peace, warm attitude, and hospitality no doubt makes Iran one of the best vacation location.
Being a tourist in today's world comes with its own set of responsibilities and obligations. The change climate of the planet urges us to be more responsible and take accountability for our actions and also study the impact we have on the environment. One must travel in an eco friendly way and ensure that the local citizens or the natural surroundings are not affected. These are some of the most crucial tips that vacationers must follow to travel responsibly.
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience includes discovering every nook and cranny of the country. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote sustainable living as much as possible in the country to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially country parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the country that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the country. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards the country to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the country, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the country. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the country, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
It will be wrong to say that air pollution levels are low in the country. Some of the environmental issues include vehicle emissions, refinery operations, etc. Among the other cities in Iran, Tehran is considered as one of the most polluted cities in Iran. Hence, if you have breathing issues or other health-related issues, then you might face issues. The country faces drought as well as population explosion every year and due to this reason, the amount of water, as well as air pollution, is high. You might not face issues regarding pollution in the morning; however, as the night approaches, the rate of pollution rises and you might start facing breathing issues.
Therefore, make sure that you are carrying facemasks whenever you are going out to be on the safe side. Even though the government is coming up with various environmental pollution management programs. At times, the smog and dust particles can cause breathing issues. Hence, it is always a good idea that you plan for your outings during the evening. In this way, you will be able to avoid any breathing issues.
Respect the Culture
Iran has a very rich and unique culture. Iranian culture is full of astonishing facts and some rich history that will no doubt blow your mind. Iranians speak the Farsi language and it is the local language of the country. Besides Iran, Farsi is one of the most prominent languages in the Middle East along with the extended regions. You will find the local culture to be a mix of Arab and islamic culture. Think of festivals like Ramadan, Eid etc being celebrated.
The art, literature and music that comes from Iran has its root in the islamic culture and values. The food, the bazaars, the souks, everything reflects how rich the culture of the city is. Iran also has a very complex history, in 1979 there was a revolution that resulted in Iran being the first Islamic state. This led Iran to be seen as a terrorist state and tourism was barely a thing in Iran till 2015 when it made a deal with the other nuclear states, to end the economic isolation faced by the country. This has considerably improved things for Iran.
Iranian people believe in protecting their women and the women believe that their husbands or parents must take care of them. It is predominantly a conservative society and there are some rules that you should follow in order to show your respect towards the Iranian culture:
- No Alcohol: It is illegal and forbidden so do not bring Alcohol in the country.
- Do not discuss politics or controversial topics: Aforementioned information gives you a little insight into the complex history of Iran and it is better to not discuss any controversial topics that can hurt the sentiments of the local people.
- Respect the local dress code: Modesty is a major part of the local culture so you should be dressed in a way that is modest and follows the local dress code which is a head cover for women and a covered attire for men.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Iran is the most beautiful country and people from different parts of the world love to visit here. The reason behind this thing is that it has some wonderful cities and the tourist destinations will leave you awestruck. So in this section of the article, we would discuss the destinations, which are there in different cities.
- Naqsh-e-Jahan Square [[Isfahan - You can call it a Taj Mahal of Iran, which is located in the city of Isfahan. Here the structures and artifacts are beautiful and are made of pure marble. It is an important historical site and also one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.
- Golestan Palace Tehran - Also known as the Rose Garden complex, it is located right in the heart of Tehran is one of the oldest buildings in the city. The architecture is one of the finest example of muslim architecture and the details are just mesmerising.
- Eram Garden Shiraz - It is a botanical garden that has some beautiful plants and trees. This historic Persian garden in Shiraz, Iran belonged to the leaders of Qashqai tribe before being confiscated by the central government.
- Aali Qapu Palace (Isfahan) - It is an imperial palace in Isfahan, Iran. It is located on the western side of the Naqsh-e Jahan Square, opposite to Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque. The beautiful patterned pillars and intricate stucco ceiling inside was built in the 16th century as the dwelling for the Safavid king, Shah Abbas.
- Bam Citadel Bam - The Bam citadel which is also known as Arg e Bam is a fortress that is located in the ancient city of Bam. With a history that date backed to the 4th and 5th century, the structure of the main citadel feeds the imagination of travelers seeking to explore the eccentricities and peculiarities of an exotic land,
- Jameh Mosque Yazd - Yazd is considered as a wonder destination for history lovers. Streets full of historical monuments, traditional hotels and cafe and the historical district of the city are gathered together to make it as the only UNESCO-listed Iranian city where people still live. Jameh Mosque of Yazd is located in the historical district of Yazd and was registered in Iran’s National Heritage in 1934 under the registration number of 206.
- Borujerdiha Historical House Kashan - Borujerdi House was built in 1857 by Seyyed Mehdi Borujerdi, a merchant from Kashan. Seyyed fell in love with a girl from the affluent Tabatabaei family. To impress her family, the merchant dedicated this house to the girl, who became his wife. The construction took 18 years and 150 craftsmen – no wonder it is one of the most impressive buildings of the city. In 2014, Hao Ping, President of UNESCO General Conference, visited Kashan and nominated Borujerdi House as the most beautiful historical house in Asia. In 2015, Borujerdi House was chosen as UNESCO Top Choice to visit in Iran.
- Imam Reza Holy Shrine Mashhad - Imam Reza’s (PBUH) holy shrine is the biggest, most important and prominent religious center of Iran that consists of the most features of Persian-Islamic architecture that many pilgrims from Iran and all around the world go to this place every year.
- Anahita Temple Kangavar - Anahita Temple of Kangavar is Iran's biggest stone structure after Persepolis and is located in Kangavar city, Kermanshah province.
- Blue Mosque Tabriz - Blue Mosque or Jahanshah Mosque is one of the valuable Persian architectural masterpieces and is different from other mosques. The history of the mosque dates back to the 15th century. The various tiling works, calligraphy lines, and different patterns have concluded the fact that why it is called the Turquoise of Islam. It is also called Kabud Mosque, Shah Jahan Mosque, and Mozaffarie Mosque. Due to the 18th century earthquake, the mosque has been destructed vastly. Although these days the last vestige of the mosque is nothing but a portal and some pillars, it is a witness of the wonders of this 9th-century mosque.
Now when it comes to exploring the cities of Iran, then you should also try out some other places. Those places can be some city parks and museums, which can give you a very different form of happiness. If you still have any doubts about this thing, then here are some of the examples.
- Ghalamestan (Rasht) - A standard city park with lots of greenery. Designated are for children to play and to walk around. You can come here for a morning walk or just to enjoy some peace and quite.
- Shah Goli (Tabriz) - This is no ordinary park. This historic park was built 500 years ago and has a massive artificial lake which is around 700 square ft!! This park is not to be missed and definitely warrants a visit if you are in the city of Tabriz.
- Golestan National Park: It is one of the most important wildlife habitats and national parks of Iran. It was declared as a conservation area in 1336 SH, and following multiple changes of name, it was eventually registered as one of the fifty natural reserves of the world by UNESCO in 1354 SH. And it was registered as a natural heritage of Iran in 1387 SH. Some of the major roads to Khorasan pass through this forest area, which unfortunately results in accidents and the death of valuable animals that live there. Being the biggest wildlife park in Iran, Golestan Park includes parts of the provinces of Golestan, North Khorasan, and Semnan. The most of it is spread in Golestan and North Khorasan, while a small part of it is located in Semnan Province. One of the most unmatched ranges of species of animals live in Golestan Park, of which tigers and brown bears are most important. The others include boars, goitered gazelles, rams, goats, sheep, and wild cats. This park is the habitat of birds such as bearded vulture, golden eagle, common buzzard, and common kestrel. Interestingly, a great number of boars living in this area have grown accustomed to the presence of humans. They are no longer afraid of the people who travel through the forest and even eat foods from their hands.
- Kavir National Park: This beautiful national park is an ecological zone in Northern Iran spread over an area of 1000,000 acres. It sits on the western end of one of Iran’s two major deserts, the Dasht-e Kavir (Sand Desert).
Other National Parks include:
- Lar National Park
- Khao Tarun National Park
- Ladies Beach
- Marjan Beach
- Zeitoon Beach
- Gisoom Beach
- Risher Beach
Plenty of important landmarks are located in Iran which include:
- Nasir al-Mulk Mosque
- Golestan Palace
- Naqsh -e- Jahan square
- Abbasi Great Mosque
- Eram Garden
- Milad Tower
- Hamedan Museum of Natural History (Hamadan) - In this museum, you would see the dead remains of dinosaurs and their skeletons. If you take a tour of this place, and you will feel like knowing more and more about it. Tourists have visited this place and told that there is no other better place than this in Hamadan.
- Post and Telecommunication Museum of Zahedan (Zahedan) - As the name suggests, this museum depicts the post offices of those days. You will see that it is widespread all over the internet and it also has very special popularity.
When traveling in Iran, you will come across a plethora of dishes that uphold the taste and the aroma of the Iranian culture. A variety of choices will no doubt mesmerize you and the culinary delights will take you in food heaven. From traditional stew items to juicy kebabs and piping hot soups, you will get everything here. Probably, due to this reason, Iranian cuisine is popular around the world. Every region in Iran will offer you something delicious and unique to taste.
From finger-licking non-veg items to the veg items, you will get everything. Want to know the secret behind the beautiful aroma and taste of the dishes; it is the choice of raw materials. It including herbs, cheese, spices, and vegetables, the taste of Iranian cuisine is simply mouth watering. If you want to know about the staple foods of Iranians, then it is rice and bread. They prefer having meat or other vegetable dishes mixed with herbs and yogurt. The wide range of bread available in the country will mesmerize you. Some are even unique and you can only get them in Iran.
When talking about the eateries, you will come across many traditional as well as modern Iranian dishes. While checking the Iranian menu, you will notice that a common term known as Khoresh. It is a generic word given to the stew dishes in Iranian culture. You will get a wide variety of Khoresh in Iran. The taste as well as the aroma of Khoresh is quite delicious. Some of them are Ghormeh Sabzi, Fesenjan, and Gheimeh.
Abgoosht is yet another traditional food that you must try in Iran. It is mostly cooked as well as served in stone crock-pots known as Dizi. Iranians have been making Abgoosht for centuries. Hence, the ingredients keep changing throughout the country. Lamb, chickpeas, and onion are traditionally used for making Abgoosht. However, these days, tomatoes, as well as potatoes, are used.
From Falafel sandwich or Sambuseh, you will get everything. Some of the most popular vegan dishes that you will get in the country are Kashk-e-Bademjan, which is made with eggplant with whey sauce dip, Boorani Bademjan, made with eggplant with yogurt sauce dip. Coming to various rice dishes, you will come across three kinds of cooking rice. Chelo is one of the most popular vegetarian dishes and is mostly served with stew. Polo is yet another rice dish mixed with various other ingredients and dami. Coming to the cold dishes, you will come across plenty of vegan cold dishes. However, you will be able to enjoy them during the summer. Some of the cold dishes include Ab Doogh Khiar, which is made with yogurt, cucumber, walnut, and dried mint. Next, comes with Boorani Esfenaj, which is made with spinach and yogurt. Make sure that you are trying out the cold dishes during the summer months. Finally, Vegetarian Gilani, which is yet another must-try dish in Iran.
Coming to the drinks, you will come across plenty of options. When visiting a new country, make sure that you are trying out the traditional foods as well as dishes. Most travel enthusiasts are of the view that country drinks have a huge connection with the tradition as well as the culture of the country. Hence, if you are planning to visit Iran, before trying out lip-smacking exotic cocktails, you are having the traditional drinks. From Doogh (Persian Yogurt Drink) to Beh Limoo (Lemon Beebrush Tea), you will get some amazing drink options in the country. The Iranians are obsessed with their traditional drinks and want them on almost every occasion as well as parties. Hence, it can be said that there is nothing more energizing and refreshing than trying out the delicious cold beverage in Iran.
Sharbat is yet another one of the most popular beverages to try in the county both during the hot and colder months. Since the temperature in the country remains quite high throughout the year, you will find it is quite difficult to spend a day without having a proper drink to quench your thirst. Hence, instead of drinking simple packaged water, make sure that you are trying out all the traditional local drinks. You will come across plenty of juice shops that sell drinks like khakshi, sekanjabin, toklun sharbati, etc. Overall, you will easily find juice shops in every corner of different cities. They are quite cheap and are available in plastic cups. Alternatively, if you are not interested in having fruit juices, you can always grab coffee since there are many coffee shops. Sekanjabin with cucumber is one of the oldest Iranian drinks, which is mostly offered during the summers. You can even make them at your home. Made with honey, sugar and mint leave mixed in water, Sekanjabin is quite delicious to enjoy during summer.
Khakshi is yet another popular drink, which both the locals as well as tourists love having. The drink contains reddish-brown seeds known as teff, which are rich in protein, fiber, and calcium. Coming to the breweries, you will get plenty of exotic craft beer as well as delicious cocktails. You might feel that the Iranians do not believe in having alcoholic drinks since there are plenty of juices as well as coffees available in the country. However, they believe that having craft beer is a sign of class and dignity. Hence, having alcohol is quite common. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is being a tourist; you might have to show your valid documents if you want to have drinks. Besides, the breweries and the pubs in the country offer some amazing appetizers as well as starters that will no doubt give a lift to your taste buds.
The organic cafeteria is yet another one of the trendiest program, which almost every country is adopting due to the rising levels of pollution. These cafeterias are different from those of the normal ones since organic cafeterias are designed with sustainable and organic materials. Besides, the foods available here are quite different from the normal ones. Here the foods that you will get are quite healthy and the aesthetic look, which the organic cafeterias adopt are quite attractive. Hence, these cafeterias are no doubt one of the best places to hang out with your friends or family members. Hands down, you will get some outstandingly delicious foods here. Keeping everything aside, you must try out the aromatic coffee that is available. Also, the endless breakfast options found here will no doubt make your mornings quite energetic.
The tap water in Iran is not safe to drink. This might not be the case in the entire country but mostly in places where hygiene and sanitisation standards are difficult to maintain. Since it is difficult to gauge the areas where tap water might be safe to drink, it is better to stick to boiled water. If you absolutely have to then you should go for bottled water because it is sold in plastic bottles and those cause considerable damage to the environment. You can also hunt for water that is sold in glass bottles and buy that instead of plastic bottles.
Iran can be an aisle for indulging in fun-filled adventures only if you know how to find thrill and adventure in everything. From riding the metro to strolling the city space, you can enjoy almost everything. Hence, it can be said that Iran is an excellent travel destination packed with some marvelous attractions as well as sights. While returning from Iran, you will already make a promise to come back. From Tehran, Shiraz to Kashan, the beauty of the country will mesmerize you. Coming to the activities, you will come across some memorable ones that will make your vacation quite exciting. Here are a few activities that you must try in Iran.
- Walk around the Nature Bridge (Tehran) - Once the sun goes down visit the Nature Bridge. Also, known as the Tabiat Bridge, it is one of the most popular and a chill-out space in Tehran. If you are not aware of the fact, then this bridge is one of the award-winning as well as the most visited place, especially during the evening. From here, you will be able to enjoy a breathtaking view of the mountains. Besides, the city lights will no doubt mesmerize you; hence, if you are visiting Iran, make sure that you are going for a stroll in the Nature Bridge.
- Visit the royal Golestan Palace (Central Tehran) - It is yet another one of the most visited attractions in Tehran city. Golestan Palace was a former royal Qajar complex consists of a tranquil garden, which is surrounded by huge buildings. Among these buildings, a few of them are free to visit. Do not forget to appreciate the intricate mosaic work on the building exteriors. The whole complex consists of various halls and pavilions. It was build and restored through centuries as the Qajar Family rose to power during the late 1700s. Overall, the beauty and the intricate work of Iranian architecture will mesmerize you.
- Spend a day at the Imamzadeh Saleh Mosque (Tehran) - Locals consider Imamzadeh as one of the photogenic tourist attractions and is an attractive shrine. The beautiful patterned turquoise tiles decoration that covers twin minarets is undoubtedly eye-soothing. Make sure to visit the mosque during the daytime to see how the sun sparkles the mosques. The locals here are no doubt friendly and the ambiance of the place is quite peaceful. If you love indulging in a peaceful environment, then the Imamzadeh mosque will be the best place for you.
- Pay a tribute to the ancient culture in the Azadi Tower (Tehran) - Tehran is the only city where you will come across innumerable tourist spots. Among them, the Azadi Tower is yet another one of the most popular iconic landmarks. Locals as well as travel enthusiasts believe that your vacation in Iran will be incomplete if you do not take at least one picture near the Azadi Tower. Even if you do not get enough time to visit the Azadi Tower, make it the last stop before you are leaving the country. Since the Azadi Tower is closest to the airport, it is best to leave for the last stop.
- Explore the Blue Mosque of Tabriz - The beauty of the Blue Mosque is incredible. During the eighteenth century earthquake, the mosque was completely shattered. Blue majolica tilework design was damaged due to the earthquake. The ongoing restoration is the evidence and the Blue Mosque has once again come back to present its beauty. The tile work is quite beautiful and the ambiance is no doubt peaceful.
Before you are planning to spend your vacation in the country, make sure that you are finding out some of the best accommodation options. No matter how you have planned your vacation, without the right accommodation option, it is impossible to enjoy anything. You will come across plenty of accommodation options in Iran. From hotels to hostels and guesthouses, you will get anything of your choice. Besides, the rates here depend on the amenities as well as the location of the hotel. As already mentioned, the Iranian culture as well as the architecture is infamous throughout the world, people from around the world come here to cherish the beauty of the country and explore the Iranian culture. Surrounded by beautiful art and architecture, Iran is one of the most popular countries where you can no doubt plan for a vacation to take a break from stress.
From beautiful lakes, buildings, to nature parks, you will get everything. Hence, if you are not interested in spending huge on accommodation, then you can always go to the apartments or the hostels. Since the locals here are quite friendly, they will always let you stay with them. Besides, they will befriend you instantly and will let you know about their culture as well as traditions. Alternatively, if you are not interested in staying with the locals, you can book the verified rooms online. For example, Airbnb is one of the best places from where not only you can book hotels or hostels, apartments are also available. Want to take your friends with you on your vacation; it is best to book the apartments since you will be able to stay comfortably.
As you might already know that, the demand for green hotels is increasing every day since it helps in keeping the pollution levels under control. Unlike normal hotels, these are different in almost every way. People are gradually becoming quite responsible for the environment. The difference between the green hotels as well as the normal ones is it utilizes solar energy for generating electricity. Besides, the greywater treatment plans are also a part of green hotels since it helps in saving water wastage. Coming to the amenities that you will get in the green hotels, they are eco-friendly too. The bed linens as well as the face towels that you will get here are made of biodegradable fibers. If you think that green hotels are quite pricey, then you are mistaking.
Green hotels believe in saving energy. Hence, they have come up with various initiatives to reduce energy consumption. While commercial buildings consume forty percent of energy and lead to greenhouse emissions too. However, when it comes to green hotels, they never support such initiatives. Besides, the millennials these days are gradually becoming concerned about the environment and try every possible way to preserve it using sustainable and eco-friendly methods. Throughout the year, most green hotels in Iran remain busy since the prices are quite cheap and are far away from the main city. Hence, if you are planning for a peaceful vacation, then the green hotels will be the best option for you.
Hostels and Guest Houses
In case you are traveling in groups, then try to avoid booking hotels since it might turn out to be a pricey affair. Hotels do not offer extra bedding facilities; besides, the hotels can be quite pricey if you are traveling groups. Also, if you are not ready to spend huge on fancy hotels, then nothing can be better than booking hostels or guesthouses. Hotels always end up adding extra charges on the special amenities, which they provide. Due to this reason, travel enthusiasts who are more like backpackers always search for hostels and guesthouses. Although you will not get fancy amenities like the hotels, this does not mean that you will not be able to enjoy the holidays.
From free WiFi to separate bathrooms, you will get everything. Besides, if you are nee fellow travelers to explore the country properly, then nothing can be better than the hostels. You will get free breakfast buffet options, which is no doubt exciting. You might have understood by now that the uncountable tourist spots in the country are worth visiting and with the local travelers, you will be able to know more about the places. It can be adventurous, exciting, or simply strolling around, if you stay in the hostels, you can always go out since there is no time bar. Just like the green hotels, the hostels and guesthouses are quite concerned about the environment. Hence, they use various sustainable steps when it comes to the amenities provided.
Apartments are yet another one of the best options when it comes to spending vacations, after all, you want to spend your vacations comfortably with your friends or family. Iranian are quite friendly and if you ask to stay with them, they will always allow you to stay with them. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is you have to show your valid documents to the locals, otherwise, they might not allow sharing rooms with them. As already mentioned, Iran is enriched with rich history and culture, the locals here are equally interesting since they can provide you with every information you need. Alternatively, if you are not interested in staying with locals and are concerned about your privacy, then make sure that you are booking rooms online.
For example, Airbnb is one of the best places where you can get verified rooms. Along with clean rooms, you will even get exciting amenities too. From free WiFi, free parking to free breakfast, you will get everything that will make your stay comfortable. If you have coupons, you can use them too for getting attractive discounts on the booking. However, the only thing that you have to keep in mind is you have to book the rooms in advance. Throughout the year, thousands of tourists visit the country to explore Iranian culture and know more about it. Hence, you might face issues when getting apartments, especially if you are planning for a vacation with your friends.
The trend of Couchsurfing is quite popular in the country and one of the compulsive reasons behind this is because you can explore just like a local. Exploring a country inside out can only become possible if you choose to join the Couchsurfing communities. It is tough coming to a new place and exploring it in your own way since you are not aware of the cities or the transportation options available. With Couchsurfing communities, you can be relaxed about the fact that you will never face any difficulties.
All you have to do is send a request to the community and once they accept your request, you can stay with them as long as you want. You will come across multiple Couchsurfing communities in Iran; however, make sure that you are checking the reviews before sending requests. Besides, staying away from your house for long can be quite painful. Due to this reason, most travel enthusiasts opt for such communities so that they can stay with fellow travelers. Once you join the community, you will come across multiple knowledgeable people who will tell you everything regarding Iran and its whereabouts.
Iran is the country where not only you will find industrialization but also scenic as well as marvelous natural landscapes perfect for enjoying camping. If you do not want to spend unnecessarily on wanted things and cherish the outdoors, then camping would be the best option for you. Besides, vacations should be interesting and should leave tons of memories; hence, it is always a good idea to try out something interesting, unique, and adventurous. Vacations are meant for keeping stress away, and for that camping, can be the best option. Imagine waking up to the scenic beauty of beautiful valleys and hills, greenery, and the chirping of the birds. You will come across multiple camping sites as well as national parks, where you can stay in a tent for about two to three days to soak in the positive vibes as well as the fresh air. When booking for the hotels, make sure that you are doing thorough research on the camping grounds and sites available throughout the country. To make things more interesting and fun, you can arrange for a bonfire, as it will spice things up. Some of the popular camping grounds in Iran include Damavand, Kurdistan, Lorestan, Shomal, etc.
- Tehran – the vibrant capital, a beautiful city that suffers horrendous traffic and air pollution
- Kermanshah – one of the oldest cities in Iran with great anthropological heritages. Taqe bostan and Bistoon are two of its world known sites.the center of medical care of west of iran.
- Hamedan – one of the oldest cities in Iran
- Isfahan – former capital with stunning architecture, great bazaar, and tree-lined boulevards. Most popular tourist destination in the country. There's a Persian saying, "Isfahan is half the world."
- Kerman – provincial capital, one of Iran's oldest cities, and major centre for carpets
- Kish Island – a 91.5-square-kilometre (35.3 sq mi) resort island in the Persian Gulf.
- Mashad – greatest city of Eastern Iran with an important mosque, the shrine of the martyr Imam Reza
- Qom – one of the holiest cities in the Middle East, considered the Jewel of Iran
- Shiraz – a former capital, home of famous Persian poets such as Hafiz and Sa'di; known for gardens, especially roses. Very close to the famous ruins of Persepolis.
- Bushehr – With an approximately 7,000 years history, Bushehr is one of the first civilized cities in Iran. Formerly called Reeshehr (ریشهر). This city is where the Iranian nuclear power planet located. Bushehr is also known as a very long and spectacular coastline neighboring the Persian Gulf.
- Tabriz – provincial capital in Western Iran; it's been suggested by some that this is the site of the Biblical "Garden of Eden"
- Yazd – a remote desert city – circumstance influenced special architectural themes where water streams run in underground rooms in houses and wind-towers to keep them cool.
Getting There and Moving Around
Before planning for a vacation in Iran, make sure that you are researching about the country, different ways of traveling, moving around the cities, etc. All these things will make your trip smooth. Being one of the friendliest countries in the world, you will no doubt have the best vacation. In case you love exploring the places where ancient civilization has left a mark through the ages and generations, then Iran will always keep your hopes high. Many countries have direct flights to Iran, and you can always opt for that. However, if you are planning to travel by train or bus, then chances are there that you might face issues. You can only opt for the train or bus route if you are traveling from the neighboring cities. The only thing that you have to keep in mind that you have to carry all the important documents so that problems do not arise all of a sudden.
The air route is one of the best options when it comes to traveling to Iran. The international airport in Iran is Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport located in the city of Tehran. Some other international airports in the city are Mehrabad International Airport in Tehran and Lamerd international Airport in Fars Province. Almost every country has direct flights to Iran. You will come across multiple airlines that fly directly to Iran.
Many popular bus routes are there throughout the country; however, among them, Tehran, Isfahan, Yazd, and Shiraz are some of the most common and highly used bus routes. If you want to travel from another country, then it might not be possible. The bus routes are active only for inter-state traveling. Hence, it is a good idea if you avoid the bus routes if you are planning to travel to Iran from some other country.
Just like the flight route, the train route is quite popular throughout the country. The Islamic Republic of Iran Railways is the national0state owned railway system that you will get in the country. The railway system is the best option if you are planning to travel interstate. However, if you are coming from other countries, then you can either opt for the flight route or choose a break journey.
The concept of hitchhiking has become extremely infamous in many countries. In Iran, you will notice that the locals do offer lifts to the tourists as well as other locals. However, it is better if you do some throughout research before opting for this option. You will not get lifts from every stops. Therefore, doing some research will make sure that you know about all the hitchhiking stops present in the country. Besides, you have to be aware of your belongings since you will be traveling with an unknown person.
Apart from the bus or the train route, you can always opt for other options when it comes to exploring the country. From electric vehicles to cabs, you can opt for anything. If you want, you can also opt for walking to the nearby tourist attraction places. Shopping is a good idea when it comes to exploring the cities in Iran. Hence, if you want to shop to your heart’s content, then it is best if you opt for choosing the cabs. The trend of bicycles is also quite high in the city and is an effective initiative to control pollution levels.
Since maintaining environmental conditions is an issue these days, the trend of sustainable shopping is increasing every day in Iran. Besides, the locals here are quite concerned about preserving the environmental conditions. Hence, you will find some exclusive organic food items as well as clothes made with biodegradable fiber, etc. From small outlets to malls, you will see shopkeepers selling sustainable items.
Recycling is no doubt one of the best practices when it comes to protecting the environment and the government in Iran has come up with various recycling initiatives. Locals after using goods keep them for recycling and as a responsible traveler, you can always take part in the initiatives.
Maintaining eco-friendly conditions is important and Iran always supported various initiatives of the government on waste management programs. So, you can understand that the locals here are quite concerned about the waste programs, which help in bringing positive changes in the environmental conditions.
Work and Study Abroad
Iran has some top-notch colleges, universities as well as MNC companies. Due to this reason, students and eligible candidates from other countries come here to enroll themselves in the educational institutions as well as the companies. Apart from that, the companies here always accept those employees who are experts in working in a team and come up with innovative business plans.
Since Iran features some of the best-rated colleges and universities, students from around the world come here to take admission. Besides, the scholar students get the advantage of the scholarship. The teaching faculty is no doubt impressive and always focus on giving equal attention to every student.
The Au Pair service is not that popular in the country since the women here do not believe in working. Hence, they stay at home and take care of the household. Over years, people have been practicing this trend of taking care of the kids and the house has become a regular practice for women.
Iran is the depot of some outstanding historical monuments, rich architectural work, and traditions, and the locals here are attached to them. Due to this reason, many non-profit organizations, as well as NGOs, have come up to preserve them.