Isla de Ometepe
Eco-friendly travel guide to Isla de Ometepe advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua.
- Air quality: 4.5/ 5
- Exploring by foot: 4.2 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.6 / 5
- Parks: 3.3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.9/ 5
- Locals' English level: 3.3 / 5
- Safety: 3.7/ 5
- Accommodation: US$35 - $77
- Budget per day: US$52 - $113
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Isa de Ometepe is an island in Lake Nicaragua in the country of Nicaragua. Ometepe is one of the leading tourist destinations in this region. The island's clean waters, expansive beaches, fertile volcanic soils, wildlife, and archeological sites are some but a few of the must-see in Isla Ometepe. Its dominated by two giant volcanoes that penetrate the clear blue skies where people go and make memories. There are only a few settlements on the island and small coffee plantations. The land here is fertile and yields many healthy crops due to the volcanic ashes, making the soil fertile. Most people engage in farming while their hotels serve self-grown fruits and vegetables. The residents are very welcoming and kind to visitors. Indians dominated the city in the early days, which were later converted into Christians. The city residents hold many religious and cultural practices all year long. The eco-friendliest and efficient means to get around the city is by walking. Walking is very efficient since most attraction sites in the town are just a walk of a distance. Walking also helps you interact with city residents hence creating a connection with the city. This interaction leads to friendships, which will significantly help you enjoy your stay here. Other eco-friendly means of transport you can use here are cycling, electric cars, and public transportation. You can show responsible travel in many different ways, including throwing garbage in designated places, buying from local businesses, and volunteering.
Air Quality and Pollution
According to IQAir, Isla de Ometepe's air quality index is moderate, with an annual average of 23AQI. Long-term exposure can result in health problems. The main result of the low air quality is a valley, old vehicles, and a heavy population. The policies planned by the city government to solve this problem include: enterprises should adopt all legal thresholds concerning environment protection, promotion of the use of renewable energy example, solar energy, and adoption of national air quality policy. Other ways suggested to improve air quality include:
- Reducing emissions from transport
- Reducing emissions from open burning of municipal waste
- Reducing emissions from open burning of biomass
Respect the Culture
Isla de Ometepe is an island that emerges from lake Nicaragua and has been home to many people for over 3500 years. The indigenous people were Mexicans and Columbians. They all regarded Ometepe as a sacred island and left many Colombian artifacts all over the island. The main cash crops in the area include coffee, Cao Cao, bananas, and tobacco. Their staple food is mainly fish, vegetables, fruits, and corn. Like every other city in this region, the most famous dish is rice and beans. The primary religion is Catholicism, but they also follow other indigenous traditions and customs. The island holds more than 40,000 residents in an area of 276 square kilometers. Its major cities include Moyogalpa and Altagracia.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- See the island on two wheels: Ometepe is not a huge island, but navigating it purely by foot is tiring and will take you many days and weeks since there is a lot to explore. The best chance you have is to rent a motorcycle since the roads are rough and unpaved for cars. Resting a bike is cheaper and more efficient on this island.
- Visit la Ojo de agua: This is a great place to get away from the hot and tropical climate of Isla de Ometepe. The natural springs of la Ojo de agua are always ready to cool you off in this part of the region. Its located less than 2 miles from Santo Domingo. The place features a restaurant and a chilling area shaded by the forest. the location is perfect for relaxing after a long day
- Kayak The Beautiful Istrian River: This is a liver lying between the two volcanoes and a perfect spot for many birds, caimans, and turtles. The river is seasonal and mostly live during the winter season and dry during the summers. The river is mostly calm and ideal for a great morning adventure.
- Explore Charco Verde: This is a perfect spot to enjoy the sun in the afternoon. There are beautiful beaches and many relaxing areas. The place is also silent and filled with many howler monkeys. You can take many walks depending on your energy and mood—a great place for hikes with friends.
- Admire Butterflies At The Butterfly Sanctuary: The sanctuary is located at the entrance to Charco Verde. It's home to many Nicaraguan butterflies and a variety of birds. The place is quiet and a great place to connect with nature. The staff are very knowledgeable about the different butterflies breed and are ready to share that information with interested parties. The entrance is just a small fee.
- Swim Under The San Ramon Waterfall: The place is located on the southern slopes of the volcano Maderas. The waterfall is over 60 meters tall and often impressive during winters. It's a 3hrs walk from Santo Domingo, with the first two kilometers paved but the last one with some mud and rocks. It's a great place regardless of your fitness level or age. When going here, carry yourself some hiking boots .it a great place to visit with friends.
- Hike Up The Maderas Volcano: There are two volcanoes on Ometepe, the dominant one named Marderas and the active conception. To hike here, you will need a guide who will take you through the whole process. While going here, carry with yourself hiking attires and prepare to get muddy. When you reach the top, you will be rewarded with an opportunity to swim in the refreshing and beautiful crater lake.
- Go Horseback Riding On The Beach: This is among the top activities to indulge in when in Isla de Ometepe. The experience is fantastic and breathtaking. The cost is just $10, and you can watch the sunset on a horse. There are many places to rent a horse at bargained prices. A great activity to engage with family and friends.
- Check out the petroglyphs: The city of Ometepe is famous for its pre-Columbian past. While here, you will find many stone carvings and petroglyphs throughout the island. The best place to find these artifacts and ancient carvings are on Finca Magdalena and La Ceiba's museum.
- Finca Magdalena: Finca Magdalena is a more than 350 hectares of organic farm that stretches along Volcan Maderas' slopes. It is managed and owned by a co-operative of 24 families with extensive plantations of organic coffee, corn, vegetables, milk, fruits, and beans. They offer visitors a chance to tour their lands of coffee and fruits at a small fee.
- Spot wildlife: In addition to the butterflies and birdlife, Ometepe is also an excellent place for other animals like monkeys, specially howlers and capuchin. It's a great place to visit with family. Kids usually find this very enjoyable.
Isla de Ometepe is a city rich in historical and cultural sites and beaches to visit and have fun. The wide variety of parks, museums and restaurants places are but a few of the places you can spend your weekends and holidays. Some of the few exciting places you can explore include:
- Isla De Ometepe: The city park is located in Moyogalpa, Nicaragua. It's a great place to experience nature at its best. Its people are amicable and easy to interact with. The park is also very easily accessible via public transport and at low prices. There are beautiful restaurants nearby where you can get some refreshments. It is also a great place to take pictures and have some fun.
- Charco Verde Park & Butterfly Aviary: This park is located just a few minute's walks from the city center of Nicaragua. The place is next to some great lake views and some excellent restaurants and shops. There are many butterflies, monkeys, and birds which many find very interesting. It's a great place to visit with friends and family.
- Municipal de Altagracia Gaspar Garcia Laviana Park: This is another famous city park located in NIC-64, Altagracia, Nicaragua. It's an excellent place to recreate and have fun. The garden is very magical and very secure to enjoy with friends and family. The site helps you experience nature at its best.
- Cementerio Municipal de Moyogalpa: This is a famous memorial park located in Moyogalpa, Nicaragua. It's a quiet and peaceful place with many things to explore. The forest has some wildlife which includes birds of various types. The site is much ideal for picnics with friends and family.
- Masaya Volcano National Park: This is a popular national park located a few miles away from Isla de Ometepe city. the site features some craters, an active volcano, and lava formed tunnel. The place has beautiful scenery that attracts a large number of visitors annually. The lava is fantastic, while the geology and landscape are excellent—a great place for those interested in geography.
- Chacocente Wildlife Refuge: This is a popular wildlife park located a few minute's drives from Isla de Ometepe city. the park is filled with beautiful nature and lovely hiking trails. Its also a nature reserve among the 78 protected by the country government. There are plenty of sea turtles, monkeys, and other wildlife—a great place to visit with family during weekends or even holidays.
- Cañón de Somoto: The national park is located a few miles drive from Isla de Ometepe. There is a small entrance fee charges at the gate of the park. It's a lovely place with a great atmosphere for relaxing or having a chat with friends. The site is also very secure and fun. The attendants and guides there are amicable and ready to help if the need arises
- Playa Maderas: Playa Maderas beach is among the most popular in this region. It's a scenic beach located a few minute's drive from the city center of Isla de Ometepe. It allows for surfers of all levels and ages. The beach features several restaurants and shops where you can buy drinks and food. While here, you will see and experience the feeling of the fantastic sunrises and sunsets. You can also opt to engage in beach volleyball and swimming activities—a great place to visit with family and friends.
- Palo de Oro Cooperative: This is another famous beach located a few minute's drive from Isla de Ometepe. It's easily accessible using motorbikes and cars. The beach features a few restaurants and shops where you can grab food and drinks. The rooms at the nearest hotels are cheap and well maintained. The place is also full of wildlife and nature ats its best.
- Playa La Flor: This is an excellent beach located a few kilometers away from Isla de Ometepe city center. It's a great place to swim and enjoy the calm nature of Nicaragua. There are many young turtles in the ocean that are a great joy to kids. When going here, carry your family along and enjoy the adventure together.
- Playa Huehuete: Playa Huehuete is a beach located in the city of Isla de Ometepe. The beach is popular among young adults due to the many activities you can indulge in while here. The place is also very silent and allows you to connect with nature. The residents of this area are super friendly and respectful—a great place to visit with friends.
- Montelimar Beach: Montelimar is a 2 mile long,palm-lined sandy beach located on the pacific coast of Nicaragua. The beach features several restaurants and shops where you can grab drinks and foods at low prices. The place offers authentic foods and cleans rooms with all necessary amenities included. The staff is super friendly and ready to help in case the need arises.
- La Estancia de Cornelius Vanderbilt: This is a historical landmark located in la virgin, Nicaragua. The landmarks attract a large number of both local and foreign visitors all year long. While here, make sure to take a photo with the statue.
- Ometepe Island: Ometepe island is by itself a landmark .the island has beautiful views and incredible nature. You can rent a motorcycle to navigate the island at a low price. The place is superb to visit with friends on weekends and holidays. while making sure to eat their local foods and drinks which are delicious.
- Museo Altagracia: This is among the famous history museums in this part of the region. It is located in contiguous Altagracia, Nicaragua. The museum is small and run by an archeology professor who will guide you through all museums' artifacts. Attendants are very knowledgeable and ready to share their knowledge with all interested visitors. The place is rich in the history of the city, ancient vessels, and the culture of Ometepe.
- El Ceibo Museums: This is a small but interesting museum located in Sacramento, Nicaragua. The location is easily accessible through public means. The place is quiet, clean, well maintained, and has a friendly atmosphere. The museum is home to some pre-Columbian and prehispanic artifacts from the ancient inhabitants. The attendants are super friendly and knowledgeable about the antiques hosted in the place. A tour here is considered very educative.
- Museum of History and Anthropology of Rivas: The museum is located in escula international de Agricultura, Nicaragua. It's a great museum with a large number of exhibits, Arts, and pre-Columbian ceramics. The place is rich in Nicaragua's history and its residents. Inside the museum is also a library where you can research any of the topics related to Isla de Ometepe. The place is free to access and again spotless and well maintained. The attendants are upper friendly and ready to help in case the need arises.
- Mi Museo: This is a famous museum located in Calle la Libertad, Granada, Nicaragua. Its mid-century building houses a collection of the many ceramics from the early 2000BCE to the present. The place is excellent for those who want to get maximum knowledge on the history o=f Nicaragua and its residents. The attendant is very knowledgeable at their craft and is ready t share their experience with any interested parties. The museum also features a café that is very charming and relaxing. It's an excellent place for history loves.
Isla de Ometepe has a wide range of restaurants with a wide range of foods. The cost of food in Isla de Ometepe depends on its quality and the kind of food you are interested in. You can get food from local restaurants, vegan restaurants, or even street foods.
Traditional Local Restaurants
- Café Comedor Isabel Traditional Nica Food: This is among the most popular local restaurants in this part of the region. It is located in blague, Nicaragua. The location is silent and easily accessible through public transport. The restaurant offers a great variety of local delicacies. It's a truly authentic small place with typical local cuisine that is soo delicious. The attendants are super friendly and knowledgeable about their craft. The foods are well priced and offer great value for your money. the place is also spotless and well maintained—a great place to visit with family and friends.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- Café Campestre: This is among the most popular vegan restaurants in this part of the region. It is located in blague, Nicaragua. They offer both takeaway and delivery services to their customers. The restaurant offers lots of excellent and creative vegan choices. It's among the best Indian and Arab restaurants in Nicaragua. their foods are freshly picked from the farms and prepared by very skillful chefs. It's an excellent place for health-conscious people. The site is clean and well maintained, with all necessary amenities in the area—a great place to visit with family and friends.
- El bamboo: The vegan restaurant is among the best in this part of the region. Its located in blue, Nicaragua. They offer delicious and creative dishes that are purely organic. Foods offered are very nutritious and improve your general health. The staffs are friendly and ready to help if the need arises. The place is small, clean, and well organized. El bamboo also offers both takeaway and delivery services to its residents.
- Casa Toño Carnaval: The restaurant is located in cementerio Los Angeles, moyogalpa, Nicaragua. It's a great restaurant that is easily accessible through public transport. The restaurant offers a wide range of vegetarian meals that are authentic and well prepared by specialists. The place is clean and well maintained, with all the necessary amenities in the area. The attendants are super friendly, kind, and ready to help if the need arises—a great restaurant to visit with family and friends.
Isla de Ometepe has a variety of street foods, especially stalls in the city streets. These street foods are a wise option for low-income earners. Street foods come at low costs and are easily accessible, making them very popular among locals and visitors. Primary street foods in Isla de Ometepe include:
- Quesillo: This is among the most famous street food in this part of the region. Its prepared by topping a thick tortilla with cheese and grilled before some onion and salt are pickled. If you want to get it spicey, you can add some chili.
- TeTejada: The street food is the most sold in the streets of Isla de Ometepe. The main reason behind its popularity is that it's eatable on the go. Frying thin strips of plantain prepare them. Not the most flavorsome meal but great for its purpose.
- Vigorón: This is a unique dish made from mashed yuca, fried pork skin, and pickled cabbage. It's a great meal among the people of Isla de Ometepe. The dinner can be served at any part of the day.
- Buñuelos: These are popular street food in many parts of the world but under different names. It's prepared by dipping dough balls in syrup. The only difference with the Nicaraguan dough balls is that its made from yucca flour, cheese, and eggs. The food can be found on every street in Nicaragua.
- Churrasco con Chimichurri: This is another popular street food in Isla de Ometepe. It's prepared by combining a grilled piece of meat with green chimichurri sauce made with garlic, white vinegar, parsley, and oregano. it's a delicious delicacy that both visitors like
and the locals.
The residents of Isla de Ometepe have excellent drinking places. The most popular drink in this region is bottled and tap water, while beer is the most consumed alcoholic drink.
Tap water is generally safe in Isla de Ometepe except in the more impoverished areas where it is recommended that you always boil before drinking. The best thing in Isla de Ometepe is that most shops sell bottled water, which very safe. In places or situations, you cant get bottled water, always boil water before drinking.
- Café Campestre: Café Campestre is mong the popular organic restaurants in the region. It is located in Isla de Ometepe,balgue, Nicaragua. It's considered the best place to have great breakfast, lunch, and dinner with plenty of organic options. The foods are well priced and at affordable rates. The site is also beautiful, clean, well-organized, and quiet—it ideal for a relaxing evening after a long day or week.
- Delicias de Ometepe: The organic café is located in Isla de Ometepe, San Silvestre, Altagracia, Nicaragua. It's a great spot to enjoy great coffee and other organic drinks and meals. The attendants are very professional and super friendly. The price is a bit high but worth it—a great place to visit with family and friends.
- El Pital Ometepe - Chocolate Paradise: This is among the famous chocolate factories in this region. The factory is located in el madrona, Nicaragua. The factory features an organic café that offers excellent iced coffee with avocado and chocolate smoothie and an organic straw made from the papaya leaf. The place offers a fantastic experience. The staff is welcoming, kind, and ready to help in case the need arises. The site is also spotless and well maintained, with a great atmosphere to relax after a long week or day. Great place to visit with family and friends
Isla de Ometepe has got some of the finest breweries in the country. The beers are mainly produced from cereal grains and barley and then fermented. Some of the most popular breweries include:
- San Juan del Sur Cervecería: This is among the most popular breweries in the region. It is located in Avenida Mercado, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. It's among the most loved breweries by the locals and foreigners. A tour here is considered very informative by the locals. The owner is also amiable and has vast knowledge about the craft. It's a great place to hang out, especially for beer lovers. Great place to visit with friends on Friday afternoons or weekends.
- vista horizontes Isla de Ometepe: The bar is among the most popular in this part of the region. It is located in El Coco, Nicaragua. . it is a fantastic beer garden with excellent pints of craft beer. The attendants offer lovely service and are also super friendly and easy to interact with. The place is good looking, clean and well organized with the food very delicious. It is a warm and relaxed place for a chat with friends.
Isla de Ometepe has some most common fun activities you can engage in, including outdoor fitness, swimming, and hiking. These outdoor activities help improve physique, improved bonding, and the feel-good factor.
Yoga and Retreats
- InanItah: This is among the most popular yoga studio in this part of the region. It is located in Santa Cruz, Altagracia, Nicaragua. The place is superb, offering great classes and communication from instructors. The instructors are also amiably allowing more accessible communication between them and their trainees. The location is also very peaceful, allowing you to connect with the calm surrounding.
- Yoga In Nicaragua: This is a yoga retreat center located in Rivas, Nicaragua. The place offers a very professional and relaxing experience in a peaceful and silent location. They have quality teachers and instructors. ItIt'slso an excellent place to get inspired, encouraged, and empowered by the helpful trainers. The atmosphere is also welcoming and very friendly.
Accommodation places in Isla de Ometepe are secure, neat, and affordable. The various accommodations available include luxury lodges, apartments, motels, and holiday parks, among many other varieties.
- San Juan de la Isla: This is a 3-star hotel located a few minutes drive from the city center of Isla de Ometepe. . the hotel is comfortable and clean and located in a safe, centralized area. The staff is courteous and super friendly, making it very easy to communicate with. The foods are delicious and at a very affordable price. The hotel also has ample parking facilities for its clients.
- Hotel Finca Playa Venecia: This is a popular 4-star hotel located less than 20 minutes drive from Isla de Ometepe's city center. The hotel is close to shops and social amenities. The hotel has two restaurants, and the food is delicious and can be packaged for you. The staffs are super friendly, professional, and courteous. The rooms are also huge, clean, fancy, and well organized. Complimentary services include parking and wifi.
- Xalli, Ometepe Beach Hotel: This is among the most popular hotel in this part of the region. It is located just a less than 25 minutes drive from the city center of Isla de Ometepe, a place named San Fernando. The rooms are charming, modern, and elegant. Rooms are quite large enough to hold a small family. They have a nice parking spot which is also very secure. The staff members are very courteous, super friendly, and ready to help if the need arises. It's an excellent place for a family setup.
- Finca Mystica: Finca Mystica is a 3-star hotel located a few minutes from the city center of Isla de Ometepe. The hotel features a restaurant, bar and free parking, and wifi. The rooms are spacious and well maintained, with all necessary amenities available. The staff is welcoming, super friendly, and ready to help in case the need arises. The pricing is reasonable and affordable for most people.
Hostels and Guest Houses
- Ananda Guesthouse: This is among the popular guesthouses in this part of the region. It is located in Calle Hacia totoco Eco-lodge balgue Rivas, Nicaragua. It's a lovely place that makes you feel at home. The site is clean, safe, and well organized and with free wifi. The staffs were also excellent and professional. The owner of the hostel is also super friendly and very interactive with the clients.
- Finca Montania Sagrada: This is a popular hostel among backpackers. It is located a few minute's walks from the city center of Isla de Ometepe. They offer excellent services to keep you wanting to stay more. The staffs are super friendly and willing to help if the need arises. There are free wifi and complimentary breakfast too. If you wish to cook your food, they offer the kitchen to you, and you can now do your own thing. The atmosphere is top-notch and with very decent people.
Apartament Beach Santa Cruz. This is a holiday apartment located less than 30 minutes drive from Isla de Ometepe city center. The apartments are beautiful, clean, spacious, modern, and convenient. The inside is well furnished and got everything you need to live comfortably. The customer service is very fantastic and with clear communication. The attendants are very friendly and professional. The pricing is very reasonable and worth it.
Couchsurfing in Isla de Ometepe will help you discover unique places that you would never have got to know. Couchsurfing is safe for everyone, provided you research where you are going in advance. To get businesses to go or people willing to hold you, you can visit Couchsurfing sites or even connect with people during events or even social media platforms.
Many picnic and camping sites are clean and well maintained in Isla de Ometepe. The camps provide beautiful scenery and other facilities like the playgrounds, parking spaces, toilets, water services. Most picnic sites are free, while camping sites require a small fee. Some of the main campsites include:
- Camping Doña nella
- Camping Outdoor Casa del Arbol
How to Get There
To get to Isla de Ometepe, you can either travel by road, air or train. Both international and domestic travel connections are excellent.
Travel by air is the most convenient and efficient means of transport to Isla de Ometepe, especially if you are getting from a far city or country. A small airport in moyogalpa gets flights from and to San Carlos and San Juan del Norte. The flights operate twice or three times a week.
Travel by bus is another way to get to the city. These buses are very slow due to the region's poor road network, especially the roads to villages. Services are relatively frequent between Antragacia and moyogalpa and also balgue and Merida.
The train is the most ecofriendly means of transport when moving too far distances. Train saves on cost. No efficient trains are operating internationally in this part of the region.
Isla de Ometepe is one of the most accessible cities to hitchhike. It is straightforward to pick up retired from Samaritans at petrol stations and end up in a back of a truck. the buses to major cities are so cheap, so the primary reason you could hitchhike could be for fun.
Other modes of transport that get you to Isla de Ometepe include:
- motor cycle
Moving around in Isla de Ometepe could be the most exciting thing to do since it gives you a chance to interact with the locals and learn to appreciate and understand their culture.the several methods you can navigate the city include:
Walking is a very eco-friendly way of movement since it improves overall body health. Walking also helps interact with the locals hence helping them understand their culture. Walking is a popular way of navigating Isla de Ometepe among locals and visitors.
Cycling is the most efficient way to get around Isla de Ometepe. This is because it's a small city hence easy to navigate. Here you will meet locals ready to help travelers discover some of the region's most delicious meals.
Electric vehicles are not much popular in this part of the region. There are just a few charging stations in the city. There are also no manufacturers of automobiles in this city, making the automotive industry lag behind.
Isla de Ometepe is a fun and accessible city to see by bus. The buses are pretty cheap, with many less than $2. travel by bus is an excellent way to know the countries people and culture. The bus connection will get you to all major towns in the region.
Tram, Train and Subway
No trains are operating in the city as of 2021. the country has not paid attention to railway lines in the whole territory. Travel is not efficient in this part of the region.
Sustainable shopping makes sure that everything we buy has a positive outcome on overall health and the environment for the residents of Isla de Ometepe. Sustainable shopping gives visitors a chance to play a part in the conservation of the environment for the good of the world climate.
- Ometepe Mercadito Santa Cruz: This is among the famous food markets in this region. It is located in Santa Cruz, Altagracia, Nicaragua. The place is super clean and offers fresh vegetables and fruits. The prices are low, and many of the products are much affordable.
- Mercado municipal: This is among the famous flea markets in this part of the region. The market has a lot of fresh produce to see, smell, and taste. There is also an underground parking garage making it convenient for those with cars. The vegetables and fruits are fresh and sold and low prices.
Second Hand Stores
- Megaboutique: This is a famous second-hand store clothes shop located in Matagalpa, Nicaragua. The goods are in good shape and of excellent quality. Most of the available products are very cheap and affordable by the general.
The people of Isla de Ometepe strive to promote local eco-friendly brands and encourage visitors to embrace the same. These brands fight to improve the ecological status, consumer health, and workers working conditions.
Recycling is a great and vital way to keep the Isla de Ometepe environment clean. Recycling prevents the pollution of air and water bodies. Recyclable items in the city include commercial waste from shops that is mostly plastics.
Isla de Ometepe city got well-placed trash cans in most areas of the city. While here, make sure to drop your plastic cans and any other commercial and agricultural waste material in these designated areas to support the city government's plan of keeping the place tidy.
Work and Study Abroad
There are a few international companies in Isla de Ometepe city. the companies are a good source of job opportunities for the residents. The majority of the companies are in the hotel industry and tourism industry.
Isla de Ometepe may be located in one of the smallest nations in the region, but it has much to offer to international students. the universities around include:
- Universidad Martin Lutero
- University Hispanoamericana (See Rivas)
- Keiser University - Latin American Campus
The idea of being an au pair is becoming popular in Isla de Ometepe. The people of Birmingham opt for people above the age of 18 and have good Spanish language skills. .
There are numerous activities you can engage in on the island of Isla de Ometepe as a way of giving back to society. Volunteering helps deepen your relationship with the community and also learn about their culture. Volunteer groups you can join include.
- Global village volunteer
- Teaching English as a second language