Eco-friendly travel guide to Mongolia advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Mongolia, Asia.
- Air quality: 3.2 / 5
- Bus connections: 3.7 / 5
- Train connections: 4 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 3.2 / 5
- National parks: 3.7 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.3 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$100 - $120
- Budget per day: US$90 - $100
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
Mongolia is one of those destinations that have witnessed sudden growth amidst the stern reality on which it was sitting for years. Yes, the country is having a mineral-rich treasure worth one-billion. It might be a sudden shock to most travel enthusiasts but it is the truth. Mongolians are gradually cutting through the traditional core like a sword. Once you visit the country, you will find that the rural herders have been going through extreme struggles for surviving. Here the urbanization rate is no doubt high; however, the locals do not have enough skills. As a result, the ones who are new in the country are lacking jobs in the formal sector. Overall, it can be said that the country has to develop in every sphere and focus on building infrastructure so people can have a stable future. On the other hand, it is necessary to give equal importance to protect the pristine habitats as well as the ecosystem in the country. As a part of responsible traveling, make sure that you are not following any unethical behavior while visiting the cities. It is better to follow all the environment-friendly methods of traveling without harming the natural habitat. Most travel enthusiasts know that Mongolia is comparatively a safe option when it comes to traveling and spending holidays. It is important to understand that traveling and vacationing should always bring a positive experience for the visitor as well as the Mongolians. Whenever you are visiting any city, especially the tourist attractions, make sure that you are not throwing litter everywhere. Besides, you must opt for e-vehicles or bicycles to reduce pollution levels. Sustainable tourist is always a great idea to protect the nomadic herders and life, which the locals follow here.
Air Quality and Pollution
A massive country covered by the borders of China and Russia, Mongolia is infamous for the empty grasslands, chilly winter, and most importantly for the nomadic culture. However, apart from all these things, the country has become popular for high pollution levels, especially during winters. Hence, even after being one of the most popular traveling destinations, Mongolia does not feature clean and pollution-free air. Ulaanbaatar is the place where 46% of pollution resides. The high amount of particulate matter is quite high in the country. The complex mixture of solid as well as liquid particles makes the pollution scenario worse. It is taking place due to the huge amount of rural to urban migration is something that makes the scenario even worse. Throughout the country, the pollution levels are quite high; however, most importantly and prominently it is high in the capital.
Even though the country is sparsely populated, compared to the population and landmass ratio, Mongolia has somehow managed to gather a huge population. Thus, you can understand that climate change and an increase in pollution levels would be high too. Besides, the lives of the farmers are suffering due to climate change as well as the pollution levels. Hence, to be on the side, make sure that you are following all the protocols such as using facemasks to protect yourself from dust and pollution. Also, it is a good idea if you avoid going out during the daytime since the pollution levels remain quite high. The unhealthy weather and climate change have created major problems for the Mongolians.
Respect the Culture
The country is infamous for the nomadic traditions and the locals here still practice, especially in the rural areas. It is important to understand that the nomadic here follow seasonal routine while raising and breeding five different stocks, goat, sheep, yaks, horse, and camel. Besides, they even keep migrating from one place to another and follow the most favorable campsites and pastures. It is important to understand that the Mongolians here follow the official language Mongolia. This language is infamous and belongs to the Ural-Altaic language family that includes Finnish, Kazakh, Korean, and Turkish languages. You must be aware of the fact that about ten million people today speak the Mongolian language. Coming to the religion, people here believe in Shamanism that runs back to the Mongolian history even before Chinggis Khan came here.
Apart from that, Buddhism is the religion, which people have been following here. You might notice a nix modern-traditional culture in the country, which is quite different from that of other countries. Thus, if you think that you will get a modern touch throughout the country, then you are mistaking. Due to this reason, it is one of the best ideas to respect the country’s culture and even behave well with the locals. As a responsible traveler, it is important that you are preserving the culture as well as the heritage of Mongolia. The architecture as well as the traditions, which the locals here follow, are unbelievably beautiful and you will be mesmerized by the rich history as well as the culture of the country.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Today you would see that majority of the tourists want to visit Mongolia and have a very nice experience. It is because the country has some wonderful cities with beautiful places for your holiday trip. If you want to know the names of those places then just go through the ones which are mentioned below.
- Gandantegchinlen Monastery (Ulaanbaatar) - This is a Mongolian monastery where Lord Buddha regained his power and had contributed it in many ways. It is located in the capital city of Ulaanbaatar and has a better significance. Just visit here and get to see something which you might have never seen before.
- Kharaagiin Khiid (Darkhan) - It is a palace where you would get an interesting fact about history in a very brief manner. Try it out and see a thing that is very extraordinary and beyond your imagination level. But if you miss it then there is no point in having an interesting holiday vacation.
- Tsenkheriin Agui (Khovd) - This cave is too dark and can also give you a better form of adventure. You will love it and have a lot of enjoyment here. Come here during the daytime and fulfill the wishes of your trip very soon.
- Uureg Nuur (Ulaangom) - There is no doubt about the fact that this lake is lovely and here you can go fishing. Instead of thinking anything just do it and see how enthralling it is. Never miss it because the opportunity might not come again and again.
- Khermen Tsav (Dalanzadgad) - This is a deserted area where you can visit during the morning time. You can say that it is exciting and also good for a better time pass. In the beginning, you may find it boring but later on, you will understand how valuable it is.
- Galdan Zuu Temple (Tsetserleg) - You cannot imagine that this temple has the tallest statue of Buddha. Visit here and you would get an opportunity to worship the lord from your true heart. But the moment you miss it then you would curse yourself and regret it throughout your life.
- Boon Tsaagan Lake (Bayankhongor) - Without any doubt, we would say that this lake is amazing and can give you a lot of happiness. If you have this thought that it is uninteresting then just rub it off because here you will get more and more interest. A place like this is nowhere there in the other cities of Mongolia.
- Amarbayasgalant Monastery (Erdenet) - Believe it or not, but it is true that this monastery was built in the year 1727. It is famous even today and also has some of the best characteristics. Here you will get to know about the contributions of Mongolians during the periods of war. So make a note of this place and mark it as a very important one in your travel diaries.
- Khalkhin Gol (Choibalsan) - You can refer to this place as a war memorial site that is made to honor the martyrs. They were defeated during the war between Russian and Mongolia in the year 1939. Come here and get a fair knowledge about it so that you can share it among your beloved persons.
- Erdene Zuu (Kharkhorin) - It is a Tibetan palace, which justifies their roles and responsibilities in full details. After visiting here you would have a wonderful memory of this place and you will never forget it. No one misses it because it is something which you have read about in your history books.
So you have known about the places, which are mentioned above. But, now what will you do if you are asked to explore the cities of Mongolia? The answer is simple that you will have to visit other places like city parks and museums. Exploring does not limit only to the tourist attractions since every country comes with innumerable recreation spots, markets as well as multiple tourist locations. Thus, when it comes to Mongolia you will come across multiple locations where you can go exploring. It is guaranteed that you take back some outstanding memories vacation experience when going back home.
- National Amusement Park (Ulaanbaatar) - This park is meant for children of every age as here you will get some amazing rides. Bring them over here and see how they have a precious moment. But if they think that it is nothing then no one can help them for better enjoyment.
- Tarvagatai Nuruu (Uliastai) - If you are in Uliastai and feeling bored then this park is the best for you. It gives you a nice scenic beauty and makes you satisfied to the fullest. And after coming here it is guaranteed that you will want to give your best feedback about this place.
- Goliin garam (Terelj) - This park is located at the hilltop and from here the view of the city is fabulous. Here the ambiance is also nice and gives you a different form of joy and satisfaction. Without asking any question just make a fair attempt of coming here and see how awesome it is.
Unfortunately, you would not get beaches in any cities of Mongolia. It is because it is a landlocked country between China and Russia. But there is nothing to worry about because some landmarks and museums can fulfill your holiday wishes.
- Monument for Mongol States (Karakorum) - Do not go by its name because it is a monument where you can get to know the full details of the Mongolian rulers. They did a lot of things to protect the country from all the outside invaders. People mostly call it a dull place but you have to explore it and make your own decision.
- Amarbayasgalant (Ereentsav) - This place has at least hundreds of worshippers of Buddha and is devoted to him. You cannot say no to this place because it is the right example of holiness. Here you can pray for your best and see one day it will definitely turn into a reality.
- The Fine Arts Zanabazar Museum (Ulaanbaatar) - In this museum, you will get the best artworks by famous Mongolian artists. You will never have any disappointed after seeing them and feel like recommending them to your friends. In other words, you can also call it a place that was there in your dreams.
- Museum of Dornod (Choibalsan) - You will notice that this museum is spread all over the internet. The only thing behind it is that here you will get a very brief idea about the kingdom of Dornod. Have a tour of it and see that you would get a scope to have an exposure to a very new thing.
If you are a foodie, then you will no doubt love the food culture of Mongolia. The only reason behind this is the Mongolian cuisine mostly contains dairy products, animal fats, and meat. For example, one of the common ingredients, which the locals use, is meat. Once you visit the country, you will find the Mongolians enjoy having meat-filled dumplings. If you explore the Mongolian culture here, you will understand that the people consider Milk as the symbol of unselfishness, kindness, and purity here. Once you taste urum, (a thick layer of cream), Mongolian butter, or even aaruul (dried curd) you will fall in love with the extraordinary taste of the local dishes here. Next comes Khorkhog, which is yet another one of the most popular dishes that you will ever have. It is made by cutting the meat of sheep and it is put in a container along with hot stones. After that heat is applied from outside and for added taste vegetables as well as pepper and salt are added. Earlier, soldiers used to prepare this dish during the military campaign.
Borts or dried meat is yet another one of the most essential parts of Mongolian cuisine. The nomadic life as well as the climatic conditions of the country gave rise to certain methods of preserving meat. Among the other methods, one of the most essential methods is drying or bortsloh. In this method, beef is cut into long strips and is hung under shade for drying. Before preparing any dish, the meat pieces are powdered and boiled in the water to achieve a nourishing broth. Thus, it can be said that the country has some outstanding food items to try out. Besides, the country is gradually developing in terms of tourism as a result. The number of restaurants as well as eateries are growing too. From delicious drinks to some toothsome dishes, you will get multiple culinary options that have incredible taste. The flavorsome delicacies will always compel you to try out the local as well as the modern dishes. Besides, you will get many Mongolian classics that will almost confuse you to try out from the innumerable choices available. After all, you cannot ignore the fact that food is the primary source of living and is a significant part of belonging.
Tsuivan is also known as the Hearty Noodle Stew is one of the most significant dishes that you will try in the country. It is mainly a noodle stew made out of roughly cut noodles mixed in stock with meat, normally mutton, and vegetables. It is normally the Mongolian version of the noodle soup. You will find this dish quite common throughout eastern Asia. Another common variant that you will find is the Guriltai Shul where the ingredients are made into meat-based soup and it is sometimes mixed with yak’s milk. The consistency of the soup varies on the season just like the spice level. For example, during winters the spice level increases. You can enjoy the dish in most of the Mongolian restaurants since they feature contemporary twists in the simple Mongolian flavors.
If you are a vegetarian, you will get multiple options too. Along with the nomadic culture as well as the extreme climate, you cannot expect to get many options in the country. Mongolian’s diet is filled with dried meat as well as other non-veg dishes. No matter where you, the number of non-veg dishes are more than the vegan ones, however, this does not mean, you will not get vegan foods. Although Mongolians love eating meat; however, due to the Tibetan or Buddhism religion many still strictly follow the trend of consuming vegan dishes. Among the innumerable options available, make sure to try out Khuushuur. It is a complicated yet a local term for the Mongolian version of Cornish pastry. These are essentially made with potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. Sometimes, meat is also added; however, if you want to have the veg option, make sure to ask for your vegetarian one.
Baursak is yet another one of the most important and popular vegan dishes that you must try. These are bite-sized pieces of fried bread. Although these are mostly offered to the guests, you can get them in the food outlets. It might seem flavorless; however, if you try it with tea, then it tastes fairly better. Tsuivan is yet another one of the most delicious noodle-stir fry. Made with potatoes, onions, and carrots, it is the most favorite Mongolian vegan dish among travel enthusiasts. Again, you will have to ask for a meat-free version. You will come across multiple vegan restaurants that offer innumerable vegan dishes.
Coming to drinks without which it is impossible to enjoy an outstanding holiday. Drinks are one of the most important parts, especially if you want to know more about the cultures and traditions of any country. Amidst the vast and dramatic landscapes of Mongolia, the locals you will meet here are some of the most hospitable people you will find on earth. Apart from the innumerable tourist attractions, you will come across some delicious and toothsome local drinks. You can get them either in the restaurants, local shops, or in the nomadic families. The homemade drinks that are available in the country are undoubtedly some of the best-rated and special drinks that you must try. However, the only thing that you have to keep in mind is depending on the places you are going, you will come across multiple drinks having a unique taste. For example, airag (fermented mare’s milk) is one of the most common yet delicious local drinks that you will ever taste in the country. Apart from that, the home-distilled vodka is yet exciting drink that you will have in the country. Mongolians offer the best hospitality and you will get it no matter where you go. If you visit any local house, they will first offer you tea since it is a part of the nomadic tradition. Sea Buckthorn juice is one of the most popular drinks that you will ever gave in the country. Locals consider it as liquid gold since it comes with healing properties. The drink is prepared from small and bright orange berries that grow in the wild. Sea buckthorns are filled with vitamins, antioxidants, immunity boosters, as well as other crucial ingredients to keep your system healthy. If you visit the markets, especially during autumn, you will find out shopkeepers selling crates of sea buckthorns. You will find wild patches of sea buckthorn shrubs growing in the deserted areas. Another most popular local drink that you will find in the country is milk tea. They make it in large pots over a stove. You will come across multiple tea stalls throughout the country. Apart from that, the local houses also offer tea and as a sign of respect even if you do not want to drink it, you have to accept the cup.
Coming to the hard drinks, locals in the country love having the vodka shots. Yes, most nightclubs and bars in the country offer a wide range of vodka. Even the locals prepare it at their house. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is that not every drink is of good quality. Another most popular version of vodka that you will have is milk vodka. Even if you visit the bars and the pubs, you will get whisky, vodka, and other different types of cocktails that are delicious. Besides, if you want to have coffee, you can always visit the organic cafeterias. Although there are not multiple options when it comes to organic cafeterias. One of the most striking things about the organic cafeterias is they are sustainably planned. Besides, the foods that you will get here are made with good quality ingredients and are quite affordable.
Since the pollution levels in the country are high, it is better to avoid the consumption of tap water. You will come across stalls throughout the cities selling packaged drinking waters. Therefore, it is best to opt for those options, Alternatively, you can opt for drinking fruit juices to stay on the safe side.
Apart from the exclusive food collection as well as the drinks, you will come across multiple activities that will no doubt make your trip to Mongolia will become successful and memorable. If you are an adventure lover, then you will get multiple options. By now, you might have understood that Mongolia is gradually developing to be one of the most-visited tourist destinations. The spectacular mountains as well as the beautiful landscape will no doubt uplift your mood. Alternatively, as tourism is still in its infancy in the country and due to this reason, Mongolia can be at times quite challenging when it comes to vacationing. The reason behind this is because; many travel companies are there in Ulaanbaatar, which does not have a web presence. Nevertheless, Mongolia soon will turn out to be one of the best places for unwinding and relaxing. Let us check out some of the activities that you can try in the country.
- Spend a few days at Ulaanbaatar- Once you touch down, you will arrive at Ulaanbaatar, which is the capital city. No matter from where you are coming through Trans-Mongolian train from Moscow to Beijing. To begin your vacation, Ulaanbaatar is one of the best places. Here you will find innumerable monasteries, museums, as well as other exciting places that will make a perfect beginning towards your Mongolian adventure. Make sure that you are booking reputable hotels or guesthouses so that you can ideally plan for your further trip. Besides, if you want to know more about the Mongolian culture, then nothing can be better than exploring the nooks and corners of the city. One of the most important things that you should always keep in mind tourism is still growing in the country. Therefore, chances are there that you might not get enough guides who will help in arranging train tickets for you or even will let you know everything about the country.
- Find about the history- Once you reach Mongolia, you will understand about three things, its geographic location, nomads, horses, and finally the history. Ulaanbaatar is one of the most popular cities in the country rich in history and culture. If you want to know more about the details of the country, then make sure that you are visiting the National Museum of Mongolia located in downtown Ulaanbaatar. Considered one of the largest museums, here you will go find out about the history of the area. Starting from ancient times walking all the way to the present, you will find out some interesting facts about the country.
- Plan for a staycation in Ger- Mongolian gers, also known as the yurts, are one of the traditional housing that you will find in the country. Even though these are considered the traditional houses, many locals are there, who still reside in them. At times, you will find sprawling ger districts having families who prefer living life in a classic style on the edges of Ulaanbaatar. If you think that the traditional Mongolian houses are not comfortable, then you are probably mistaking. Compared to the normal houses, these are far more comfortable. If you are planning for a vacation, then make sure that you are planning for spending a few days in the Mongolian ger, as the experience is undoubtedly amazing. Make sure that you are visiting the countryside where the local families graciously open their houses for welcoming the travelers.
- Go for a camel ride in the Gobi Desert- When talking about Mongolia, the Gobi Desert is one of the popular tourist attractions that you must not miss out on if you are visiting Mongolia. Compared to the cityscape, the country comes is filled with nature’s beauty and the Gobi Desert is one of them where you can enjoy camel rides. Chances are there that reaching the countryside might take some time; however, it is worth the trip. Once you reach the countryside, you will find out that nothing is attractive than the vast expanses of no-man’s land. Make sure that you are planning for staying in the Dalanzadgad so that it becomes easy for you to explore the three most popular attractions of the Gobi desert. Apart from that, you will also find the flaming cliffs of the Bayanzag as well as the dunes. Even if you plan for your holiday during the winters, then also you can experience many things. Although the temperature does not drop much, however, the weather still becomes chilly. This is the time when you can go for camel rides in the Gobi Desert.
- Visit the monasteries- Even though the Mongolians consider them to be atheists, locals still believe in Buddhism. Most of the time, you will find out monks walking through the roads of Ulaanbaatar or other parts of the country. Besides, the monasteries in the country are no doubt exciting. Among the many monasteries you come across, one of the most popular ones is Manjusri Monastery, which is situated near the south of Ulaanbaatar. Spending some time at the monastery will no doubt help you to feel relaxed. The monasteries give positive vibes so that you can let go of your stress. However, make sure that you are researching the various monasteries in the country. The reason behind this is you might have a difficult time while finding out information when looking for monasteries online.
- Go for horseback riding- You might be aware of the fact that the Mongolians and horses are inseparable. Due to this reason, riding horses across the expansive and unoccupied Mongolian countryside is undoubtedly exciting. If you want to go horse riding, then make sure that you are hiring a guide. Ideally, most travel enthusiasts buy horses and sell them once the journey ends since renting horses is quite expensive. If you want to make your vacation memorable in Mongolia, then make sure that you are going for a horse ride.
Vacations can be interesting and comfortable only if you find out some good accommodation options. Whether you are going on short trips or a long vacation, make sure that you are booking the accommodation options in advance. No matter where you go, vacations must be fun-filled and exciting. When it comes to accommodations, you will come across multiple options. Although the tourism industry is gradually increasing in the country; however, you might not face issues with finding out best-rated hotels. Alternatively, if you have a budget crunch, then you can opt for the hostels and guesthouses since these are quite pocket friendly. The picturesque beauty of the surroundings is something that will make your vacation memorable. Mongolian culture is popular due to the warm-hearted locals. Besides, the innumerable architectural buildings as well as the tourist spots, you will find out that Mongolia is no doubt one of the exciting places to let go of your stress.
The rates of the hotels in the country are no doubt affordable and this is something that will make your vacation memorable. If you have issues with comfortable staying, then make sure that you are booking five-star hotels. Otherwise, chances are there you might not enjoy your vacation. However, if you are planning for a vacation with your friends, then it is best if you opt for hostels and guesthouses. These are some of the best options since you will be able to meet thousands of fellow travelers who are interested in knowing about the rich culture and history of the country. Similarly, if you are interested in knowing more about the locals, then make sure that you are staying with the locals in their houses. They will let you know everything about the traditions they follow, the foods they eat, and other things. However, if you want freedom, then it is best if you opt for staying in apartments. For example, Airbnb is one of the best options. Here you will get verified rooms along with attractive amenities. Apart from that, you will get options for booking hotels, hostels and guesthouses too. Also, if you have coupons, then you can get exclusive discounts too while booking the apartments.
You might be aware of the fact that the concept of sustainable steps is becoming popular. Due to this reason, the demand for green hotels is increasing since controlling pollution is quite high throughout the world. Green hotels are quite different from the normal ones in every possible method. From the amenities to the location, you will find them quite interesting and at the same time a perfect choice for relaxing amidst nature. The projects of green hotels are designed in such a way that it turns out to be sustainable for the environment. Mostly the green hotels utilize solar energy for generating electricity. Besides, they even utilize the greywater treatment for water supply and maintain the water quality.
Coming to the amenities, the green hotels utilize sustainable methods such as using biodegradable bed linens as well as towels so that they can be discarded after usage. Although you might not find enough green hotels in the country. However, few are there scattered in the cities. If you want to be a responsible traveler and spend less on your accommodation, then nothing can be better than opting for green hotels in Mongolia. Another most significant factor that you will love about the green hotels is they utilize renewable energy sources for generating electricity. Besides, the in-room occupancy helps in controlling the energy consumption levels. The normal thermostat temperature helps in saving the heating cost. When it comes to waste management techniques, the hotels are the ones who deal with huge problems. Green hotels are the ones who deal successfully with waste management. Hence, opting for green hotels is no doubt one of the best options.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are planning for a pocket friendly vacationing, then nothing can be better than opting for the hostels and guesthouses. The reason behind this is the hotels can turn out to be a pricey affair. Thus, if you want to enjoy your vacation in the country, then it is better if you opt for staying in the hostels or the guesthouses. Besides, if you are planning for your vacation with your friends, then it is always the best idea to book hostels and guesthouses. If want to know why then the hotels always end up adding extra taxes as well as hidden rates on the amenities. Moreover, if you want to enjoy a comfortable stay, then clean rooms and comfortable bedding is enough. On top of that, the hostels and guesthouses provide free breakfast, WiFi, and parking too. If you need a separate bathroom, then you will get it as well. Local travelers are the ones who can give you enough information regarding any country. This something for which the hostels and guesthouses are famous.
Hence, if you want to meet fellow travelers, then hostels are the best option. Mongolia is filled with some marvelous tourist attraction places and the picturesque beauty will no doubt mesmerize you. If you want to explore the beauty alone, then hostels are the best option since you will not face issues with the time bar. Besides, the hostels strictly maintain sustainability and this is something that makes the hostels and guesthouses one of the best options.
Vacationing does not always mean that you have to spend huge on hotels or guesthouses. Therefore, if you do not want to spend huge on the accommodations, opting for the apartments is a great option too. Besides, you can always stay with the locals if you want to find out more about the cultures and traditions they follow, then make sure that you are staying with the locals. Mongolians are quite warm-hearted and this is something that will make your work easy. As the concept of tourism is gradually rising in the country, the locals help in supporting them. Hence, they always allow tourists to stay with them. From the foods they eat to the festivals they celebrate, you will get to know everything. All you have to do is show them your valid documents. Otherwise, they might not allow you to stay with them.
However, if you are not interested in these hassles, then you can opt for booking apartments. Yes, Mongolia has some amazing apartments where you can enjoy a comfortable stay. You can book them online through Airbnb, which is one of the best and the verified websites. The rooms you will get are huge and even if you are traveling with your friends, you will enjoy a comfortable stay. On top of that, if you have extra coupons, then you can opt for additional discounts along with outstanding amenities that will make your stay quite exciting and comfortable. However, make sure that you are booking apartments in advance since availability issues become a major problem throughout the year due to the rise of tourism in the country.
Every country is accepting the trend of Couchsurfing since it is one of the best ways by which you can efficiently explore any unknown country. You will find multiple Couchsurfing communities throughout the year and the reason behind this is that it is impossible to explore a country alone. The overall experience of Couchsurfing is no doubt interesting only if you have enough knowledge about it. You can relax about the fact that with the help of these communities, you can easily explore every nooks and corner of any country. However, the only problem with Mongolia is the tourism industry has still not received any internet exposure. Hence, you might not get Couchsurfing communities in the country. The best way of exploring the country is simply by researching in-detail about every detail of the tourist attractions in the country. Besides, once you reach the country, you will come across multiple fellow travelers and you join them if you want.
Adventure acts like oxygen for holidays. Hence, you can always opt for going on campaigns to spice up your holiday. As already mentioned, you will come across multiple empty lands and open spaces covered with hills and forests; you can always go out camping in these areas. If you want, you can also ask the hotels in which you will stay for the camping zones nearby. After all, vacations are meant for letting go of your stress and camping can always help you with taking a break from your daily stress. Besides, if you want to spice things up, you can arrange for a bonfire and barbeque. The greenery as well as the fresh air will no doubt help in healing your mood. Some of the most popular camping grounds in the country are Save the Children Japan’s Mongolia Camp, Shargamor’t Zuslan, Ih Mongol tour camp, etc.
Getting There and Moving Around
One of the best ways to reach Mongolia is either by train or by air. You can always opt for the fights since they run throughout the year. National carrier MIAT is responsible for the airline route. Every corner of the country has either connecting or direct flight routes to Mongolia. Before traveling to Mongolia, make sure to research the various routes as well as other options for traveling to Mongolia.
One of the closest centers of provinces is connected with paved roads. Almost every small or big country has direct flights to Mongolia and this is something that makes traveling to the country quite easy and hassle-free. However, make sure to take help online before booking your tickets.
A bus route is only a good option in the country if you are planning to visit from any adjacent country. Most people opt for the bus route since it is quite a pocket-friendly option and is less time taking compared to the train route.
If you are not aware of the fact then one of the most exciting railroads is the Trans-Siberian Railway. The reason behind this is that the railway connection has various branches online and one of them runs through Mongolia. Thus, you can understand that the railway route is yet another one of the best options when it comes to traveling to Mongolia. Even if you want to avoid the pricey flight tickets, you can opt for the rail route.
The idea of hitchhiking is not popular in the country since the tourism industry is not yet developed. However, if you ask for a lift, then the locals will always help you. All you have to do is choose a common location where the vehicles are stopping. Make sure that you are aware of your luggage since you will be traveling alone.
Apart from the train or the flight routes, you can always opt for other options too. Here you will get e-rickshaws as well as cabs that are economic and you can travel comfortably. Apart from that, the buses are the best choice since you will not have to worry much about overcrowding. Alternatively, you will get the option of bicycles too since it is an eco-friendly mode of transportation. But, if you want to go shopping or visit the tourist attractions, then opting for the cabs or the public buses is the best option.
Locals here not familiar with the concept of sustainable shopping. Thus, you might not find sustainable shopping outlets. However, locals use many sustainable products daily that are handmade.
The recycling rate is not too high or too low in the country. This is probably due to the ignorance in the maintenance of the environmental condition. However, the government has come up with various recycling programs to keep pollution levels under control.
The amount of waste generation is once again not too high or low in the country. However, the rate might increase if the tourist influx rises in the future. Not keeping a check on the waste generation can further aggravate the pollution issues in the country.
Work and Study Abroad
Students as well as eligible candidates from around the world come here to improve their future. Many prestigious MNCs are there who look for candidates who are interested to work with such reputed organizations. Apart from that, many colleges, as well as universities, are there who admit students from different corners of the world so that they can work on their skills and intelligence, and improve it.
As already mentioned Mongolia features some of the best-rated colleges and universities. Students from around the world come here to take admission and continue with their further studies. Besides, the teaching faculty is quite good since they help in giving equal attention to every student.
The Au Pair service is not very famous in Mongolia since the women here do not believe in working. Mostly men take the shift since women have to stay back at home for taking care of the kids and do other household chores.
Since the country features many tourist destinations as well as attractions, hence many reputed NGOs as well as non-profit organizations have come forward to take the responsibility of preserving them.